PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Episode I DVD Disc Rumored

master jedi
10-24-2001, 05:45 PM
I just read this on theforce.net. Check it out. It's very interesting stuff. I hope this rumor is true. Click here (http://www.theforce.net/episode1/index.html#12804) to read the article.

Comments?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2001, 06:40 PM
It would be pretty neat to have, but putting out a third DVD just screams Lucas trying to milk more money from the fans. Why not just include its material on the second disc or already have the third disc included in the original set? I guess he needs a new Rolls Royce and a full set of fresh flannel shirts and wants us to foot the bill. :eek:

master jedi
10-24-2001, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I just guess we're his (censored and rimes with ditch).

bigbarada
10-24-2001, 11:05 PM
I don't see it as a way to milk more money from the fans, just GL trying to give the 'impossible-to-please' fans want they want.

It seems GL can't do anything without being accused of trying to milk the fans of more money.:rolleyes:

Starfig873
10-25-2001, 06:32 AM
Besides, thats Hasbros job! :p ;) Right BB?

A third disk would be most interesting, sounds a bit like what JP III DVD is going to do. If you buy the 3-pack JP movies you get a fourth disc *either packed in, or send away* of something. But if you JUST buy the one disc I think you have to send away or they gip you...I'm unsure which :)

JEDIpartner
10-25-2001, 10:45 AM
Well... oddly enough- I wouldn't buy it. It would have to be pretty amazing and I think all the REALLY amazing stuff is already on disc two.:o

Mandalorian Candidat
10-25-2001, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
It seems GL can't do anything without being accused of trying to milk the fans of more money.:rolleyes:

There's no way anyone can deny that it does seem that way. This news/rumor has only come out after the disc broke all first-week sales records and received tons of praise for its features. There was a lot of surprise that even though the VHS format has been out for ages, that the movie could still sell on DVD like it has. So why not just put it out with the original DVD set?

After seeing the third release of the OG trilogy as a boxed set, especially with the tease of seeing footage/documentary on EP2, it appears that Lucas is just trying to milk fans for more money. If the sales strategy was to only rerelease the SE set for those who didn't get it the first time around, why not just release the OG SE set again and put the EP2 stuff on the web or in a separate format like a CD-ROM?

This supposed third disc is one of two things 1)Lucasfilm didn't put it in the 2-disc set because they thought nobody would want it or 2)they planned on leaving it out because they were going to release it in the future, say close to the EP2 release date. Either way they're screwing us. By now, Lucasfilm has to realize that whatever they would put out in terms of extra footage, deleted or documentary, would graciously be welcomes by the fans. They could do it all in one shot, like putting it on the second disc or including a third disc with the set, or over time to get as much $ out of the fans as possible. This is a business after all, and to think otherwise about their marketing strategy would be, IMO, naive. So of course when stuff like this happens repetitively, people are going to accuse Lucas of doing stuff like this just to make extra money.

Before anyone starts pointing fingers at other posters and making unfounded allegations on this site, I will say that if a third disc is marketed and I like it I will buy it. I imagine that the vast majority of the members of SSG would do the same, not to mention 90% the fans who own DVD players. I agree with master jedi that we are his -itch. I may not like the way things are marketed, but at least I recognize what's going on.

Let's just call a spade a spade and get on with it...

bigbarada
10-25-2001, 04:59 PM
Okay, let's say this is an attempt to milk the fans. Who's fault is it really? We've demonstrated time and again that we are willing to plunk down our money on pretty much anything Star Wars. Plus a majority of collectors show little discernment between good, quality product and worthless crap. I think Lucas has learned over the years that SW fans will buy just about anything with the Star Wars label (even Star Wars dog food sold out in the OT days :eek: ), although the Ep1 glut did almost killed the phenomenon.

Fortunately, after said Ep1 glut, many fans have become much more discriminating and choose their purchases more carefully.

I believe GL has always tries to sell only quality merchandise to the public, but in his neverending quest to finance his creative freedom mucho garbage has slipped through the cracks.

Maybe a third DVD is a genuine effort to give the fans "what they want", maybe it's greed. Maybe a little of both. Even so, GL didn't invent the art of cashing in, remember the X-Men DVD? They release a plain vanilla version first then a deluxe version six months later?:mad:

Cosumers have become accustomed to shady business practices in all products. So we just have to become smarter comsumers. If you feel that GL is secretly laughing at you as you buy the rumored extra Ep1 DVD, then you probably should hold off until you at least watch it first.

Just remember, if you point your finger at GL for milking the fans you still have three fingers pointing back at you.

Me, I don't even have the Ep1 DVD yet, so I'll probably hold off now to see if they release a Deluxe version with the new stuff.:rolleyes:

El Chuxter
10-25-2001, 06:27 PM
If it has the Samuel L Jackson-hosted From Star Wars to Star Wars: The History of ILM that aired on Fox sometime after the theatrical release, I'll be first in line for it. :)

JediTricks
10-26-2001, 11:30 AM
I'm pretty harsh with Lucas, but I don't think this is him milking for $$$, I think this is most likely a glaring error that he didn't think people would notice (that being the absence of so much other stuff), and when they immediately did, the suggestion for a 3rd disc came about. Lucas is a billionaire thanks to Star Wars, he could make over a HUNDRED Star Wars movies that totally flopped and still be a rich man, I don't see him doing this because of the cash issue.

Jargo
10-26-2001, 01:04 PM
Besides which, he is from the generation that knew how too much of a good thing was really really bad for a person. :) We're spoilt. We get too much of what we want. we demand so much much from Lucas when he doesn't have to give us anything at all. It could all sit in his private museum to amuse him privately...

I'd love to see every moment of footage ever shot but it isn't going to happen. Lucasfilm, because it's a corporation not a man these days that makes the decisions, will no doubt spin out re-issues of these DVD disks ad infinitum so long as the money rolls in and the fans still buy them. It's not insidious to use such a practise it's business. Supply and demand. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and save a little of the good stuff for later. Perhaps this third disk will contain the rest of the lightsaber battles in the generator complex. I've heard that Lucas culled a lot of that footage so he could release it later and make money from fans willing to shell out for 'lost' footage. Seems about right to me. Why not? The trouble with being rich is that so little wealth is actual physical money. Most often it's just on paper like a random figure someone made up. Without physical money in your hands the temptation is to just keep doing what you always did and work at making money from whatever it is you do.
But most likely is the theory that they didn't think it would sell because so many diss EP1. It must have been a mighty shock to see the DVD hit the high notes in the returns figures. So obviously the guys who market this stuff will be anxious to capitalise on the success of the first releasre by chucking out more of the same.
Personally I'll buy the third disk if it comes out. Partly out of curiosity and partly to complete the disk set. Partly cuz I'm a mug and partly cuz I like the behind the scenes stuff just as much as the movies. I just hope they do the same with the OT DVD set -Three disks each with all the extra toppings you can eat would be just peachy. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
10-26-2001, 06:21 PM
You all have good points and we seem to all agree to a point. Lucasfilm is a business and is trying to make money off the fans. All I'm doing is just pointing that out. If people are willing to buy the nth permutation of a DVD, VHS tape, or resculpted figure Lucas will offer it.

What bugs me is that if they have an opportunity to release something separately instead of all in one shot, they'll do it separately to make more money. If they talk about "We're just doing it for the fans and not making that much off of it" then they need to do just that.

I'm glad Lucas came up with the idea and is seeing the whole enchilada through to its end. I do believe he really wants to make these movies and provide entertainment to the fans and general public. However, not all the motives are altruistic. Why not just point them out for what they are and decide for ourselves if it's worth it to buy everything that's being put out or just what is appealing.

JediTricks
10-27-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Besides which, he is from the generation that knew how too much of a good thing was really really bad for a person. :) We're spoilt. We get too much of what we want. But Lucas is from the generation that gave us "too much of a good thing", and look at the guy! Clearly he understands that concept, when he started Star Wars, he was a skinny, underfed filmmaker, now... not so much. ;)

I've heard that a significant portion of his multiple billions is somewhat liquid, which is how he paid for Ep 1 out of his pocket.

bigbarada
10-27-2001, 10:46 AM
Epidsode 1's budget was somewhere around $115 million, thus making it the most expensive independent film ever made. It pulled in over $900 million in worldwide ticket sales, making it the highest grossing independent film ever.

That's not including DVD, VHS, Soundtrack, toy and misc merchandise sales either.:eek:

This tells us two things: 1.) according to sales figures, EP1 was EXTREMELY well recieved by the fans and general public; 2.) the budgets for Ep2 and 3 could be $300 million each (which they won't) and he'd have no trouble financing them himself again.

master jedi
10-27-2001, 06:36 PM
I just read on TFN that there isn't going to be any 3rd DVD disc. Click here (http://www.theforce.net/episode1/index.html#12837) for the article.

Dang. I really wanted to see a third disc.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-13-2001, 04:55 PM
Well, I guess this means that Lucas' wardrobe and garage are both full and his stock portfolio didn't take too bad a hit. :)