PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketers taking 9/11 off!

stormie
09-10-2002, 11:41 AM
By JOE RUFF, Associated Press Writer

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Recognizing that many Americans won't be in the mood for getting sales calls, many of the nation's telemarketers plan to take the day off Wednesday.

Sept. 11 is a day for people to be with their families, said Perry Young, director of a telemarketing center in Omaha run by Call Solutions Inc., of Waukesha, Wis.

"If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended," Young said.

"It's a day to sit back and reflect and not really press for marketing," agreed Kevin Brosnahan of the American Teleservices Association.

The nation's largest privately held telemarketing company, DialAmerica Marketing Inc. of Mahwah, N.J., is giving the day off to its 8,500 outbound telemarketers around the country.

Oh boy! Now what about the other 364 days? I like that quote from that telemarketing director saying "If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended." Duh! That's how we feel all the time when we receive calls from you people! Absurd! ;)

2-1B
09-10-2002, 11:45 AM
I fully agree with you stormie, reading that story this morning I felt nothing but disgust - the usual disgust because of how much I hate those nuisances, and a greater disgust because they have to make a spectacle of their "good deed" by overstating the obvious.

The Overlord Returns
09-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Don't bash telemarketers. They're usually young kids, or immigrants trying to make a buck or two and survive. They also don't know when your dinner hour is, or when it's an inconvenient time to call you.

Cut them a little slack.....

Exhaust Port
09-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Don't bash thieves. They're usually young kids, or immigrants trying to make a buck or two and survive. They also don't know when your dinner hour is, or when it's an inconvenient time to steal from you is .

Cut them a little slack.....

Just because someone is doing that as a job or means of survivial doesn't mean that I have to pardon them. I'd rather they take the whole year off instead of just one day.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-10-2002, 10:46 PM
Don't forget a lot of advertisers will pull their commercials and advertisments from television and radio outlets. They don't want to tarnish the importance of the day with tacky ads. Imagine the loss of revenue from taking just one day off--it'll be huge. But worth it in my opinion.

scruffziller
09-11-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by stormie
By JOE RUFF, Associated Press Writer

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Recognizing that many Americans won't be in the mood for getting sales calls, many of the nation's telemarketers plan to take the day off Wednesday.

Sept. 11 is a day for people to be with their families, said Perry Young, director of a telemarketing center in Omaha run by Call Solutions Inc., of Waukesha, Wis.

"If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended," Young said.

"It's a day to sit back and reflect and not really press for marketing," agreed Kevin Brosnahan of the American Teleservices Association.

The nation's largest privately held telemarketing company, DialAmerica Marketing Inc. of Mahwah, N.J., is giving the day off to its 8,500 outbound telemarketers around the country.

Oh boy! Now what about the other 364 days? I like that quote from that telemarketing director saying "If I received a call at home on that day from somebody trying to sell me something, I would be personally offended." Duh! That's how we feel all the time when we receive calls from you people! Absurd! ;)

By denying a person their job, and having that attitude about it you disgrace the American way and everything this country stands for. I was a telemarketer for 5 years and I was financially hurt last year when this happened because I was laid off for a weak and a half. And then after that because of the economy being hurt because of those events, our company, no, our people were financially hurt. I am very dissapointed in any of you who have this negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude. I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED!!!!!
Take heed to this thread of ignorance and disgrace------>
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13212&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by Exhaust Port

Just because someone is doing that as a job or means of survivial doesn't mean that I have to pardon them.

Exhaust, I know we have hashed over this before, but today on 9/11 brother it hits a nerve. 2 words for your response--"COMMON COURTESY"

SirSteve
09-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Let's call them at home now! :)

hango fett
09-11-2002, 11:25 AM
agreed, sirsteve! they always call during supper too!:mad:
h

The Overlord Returns
09-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by hango fett
agreed, sirsteve! they always call during supper too!:mad:
h

That's because the telemarketing industry has secretly placed cameras in EVERY home in the civilized world, solely so that they can interrupt you at dinner;)

vulcantouch
09-11-2002, 11:31 AM
if i open a magazine or newspaper i should expect to see print ads. if i drive down the road i should expect to see billboards. if i turn on the tv or radio i should expect to see commercials. if i use a sponsored website i should expect to see banners or pop-ups. (sheesh, even the urinal cakes at local restaurants are emblazoned with the exhortation to "say no to drugs" as i pee on em; you'd think a guy could find a moment's peace while takin a Whiz. if anything would Drive a person to get high, would it not be the surreal experience of gettin an anti-drug lecture from a Toilet? :rolleyes: )
but if i'm doin nuthin but sittin at home mindin my own bizness there is no call for me to be disturbed just cuz you arrogantly assume that whatever the hell it is you're sellin, be it religion, subscriptions, overpriced charity candy bars or girl scout cookies, is more important than whatever it is i'm tending to at that moment and my right to be left alone in the sanctity of my own lair.
one's phone and emailbox, like one's door, is an extension of one's home. they should be transgressed only by previous consent, acquaintance or an emergency. and no, you needin to reach your quota doesn't count as an emergency you self-centered jackAZZZZ :p there's some things an ethical person won't stoop to doing for a living. door-to-door sales, telemarketing and spamming should be part of that list. they should be outlawed. find another way to make a living. there's lotsa jobs that need to be done that aren't being done partly cuz human capital is channeled into inappropriate and parasitic enterprises like these-
vt

The Overlord Returns
09-11-2002, 11:51 AM
The only telemarketer who could be considered "unethical" are those that knowingly work for the low rent scam job shops that get set up...and shut down frequently.

Anyone working for a legitimate business, selling a product (ie, subscriptions for a particular theatre) is simply making a living. These are jobs designed for students, recent university grads facing the shocking truth that no, there is not a guaranteed job out there in the field of study you devoted x amount of years to your life too. I know MANY people who were facing two choices. Take one of the numerous telemarketing jobs available in the paper, or not pay rent and be evicted. Survival is survival, and mcdonalds isn't always hiring, contrary to popular belief.

Besides..........telephone marketing is pretty much the number 1 way to market a product. It's succesful, and that's whjy companies use it as a tool. Direct mail campaigns are expensive, and return at a rate of 1%. TM campaigns are fairly inexpensive, and return at a rate of 5 - 7%. What route do you think a company will take?

See.....here's what you do........you say I'm not interested, and end the call. I guarantee any legitimate business will make a note of it and not call again. You can also asked to be removed from their list, which they will do as well.......It's all very simple.

stormie
09-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Scruff - I'm sorry you are offended by the post. My point in starting this thread (as it usually is) was to introduce a little levity.

Your response indicated that I (I assume it is me, since you quoted my post) am somehow denying jobs for people, and that I have a "negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude." I am unclear how you have come to these conclusions. Personally, I detest having telemarketers call me at all hours. However, I said nothing about the actual people doing these jobs. I'm sure, like most people in this country, they are hard-working souls just trying to make a living. This does not change the fact that I absolutely hate being called by telemarketers. It's my opinion, and one I share with many, many, many other people. My post simply stated, with dripping sarcasm, that I thought it was quite absurd that the telemarketing director "would be personally offended" if he received a call at home. So, I fail to see any anti-American, ignorant, self-centered, or negative thinking in my post. And I really fail to see how I am denying jobs to people. My post was an opinion about my dislike of receiving telemarketing calls, nothing more. There's something extremely American in having and being able to share your opinion. Again, I'm sorry you were offended, but I personally find it more offensive that you would call me anti-American, ignorant, self-centered, and negative. I would actually like to request an apology, because there is absolutely no reason for you to say these things.

Patient Zero
09-11-2002, 12:05 PM
If that is your job, then fine. But if ANYONE calls me at home and bothers me over and over again after I tell them that I am not buying, then I sure as hell going to tell them where they can shove what they're selling and I have.

The Overlord Returns
09-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Tell them you want to be removed from their list. If the same company pursues you afterward....you can actually pursue legal action.

Patient Zero
09-11-2002, 12:13 PM
That doesn't always work.

AT&T wireless

KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL!

Edit: I mean telling them to take you off their list. And legal action is just to much of a hassle.

2-1B
09-11-2002, 12:14 PM
They also don't know when your dinner hour is, or when it's an inconvenient time to call you.

It's always an inconvenient time for them to call me; hence, they never should. :)

See.....here's what you do........you say I'm not interested, and end the call. I guarantee any legitimate business will make a note of it and not call again. You can also asked to be removed from their list, which they will do as well.......It's all very simple.

I once thought as you did.
But they do call back. They are relentless. If I tell them I am not interested, there's always another push. That's irritating, shame on them ! Removed from their list? Oh, that doesn't always work either, since they tell you to call a different number to get off their list. No, it's not all very simple.

And here's a word of advice for any telemarketers out there.
When I answer the phone, BE THERE ! ! ! It's bothersome enough that you are disrupting me, but the nuisance is multiplied when there is NOTHING at the other end of the line while your pokey computer gets around to telling you I'm on the hook.
What a shame.

Originally posted by scruffziller
I am very dissapointed in any of you who have this negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude. I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED!!!!!

Too bad ! :rolleyes:
What a joke, labeling that as "anti-American." :rolleyes: You might rethink that claim, it's "personally offensive" to me. :rolleyes:
Sounds like you have quite the telemarketing gene in you, if you are willing to strong arm people into the label of "ignorant", or "self-centered."

scruffziller
09-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
if i open a magazine or newspaper i should expect to see print ads. if i drive down the road i should expect to see billboards. if i turn on the tv or radio i should expect to see commercials. if i use a sponsored website i should expect to see banners or pop-ups. (sheesh, even the urinal cakes at local restaurants are emblazoned with the exhortation to "say no to drugs" as i pee on em; you'd think a guy could find a moment's peace while takin a Whiz. if anything would Drive a person to get high, would it not be the surreal experience of gettin an anti-drug lecture from a Toilet? :rolleyes: )
but if i'm doin nuthin but sittin at home mindin my own bizness there is no call for me to be disturbed just cuz you arrogantly assume that whatever the hell it is you're sellin, be it religion, subscriptions, overpriced charity candy bars or girl scout cookies, is more important than whatever it is i'm tending to at that moment and my right to be left alone in the sanctity of my own lair.
one's phone and emailbox, like one's door, is an extension of one's home. they should be transgressed only by previous consent, acquaintance or an emergency. and no, you needin to reach your quota doesn't count as an emergency you self-centered jackAZZZZ :p there's some things an ethical person won't stoop to doing for a living. door-to-door sales, telemarketing and spamming should be part of that list. they should be outlawed. find another way to make a living. there's lotsa jobs that need to be done that aren't being done partly cuz human capital is channeled into inappropriate and parasitic enterprises like these-
vt
Yes but it is a free country and you have the freedom to place call manager on your phone and hang a "NO SOLICITING" sign on your door. We shouldn't have to pay for stuff like this, but so as go with car, home, etc. insurance. Risk is always there just like solicitors. It is how this country became great. By people getting up and taking the initiative, not waiting for it to come around or placing a feeble hand out in the light "HOPING" someone will notice you. That is another problem with us Americans too. We are lazy in alot of ways, especially as consumers. If we are involved heavily into what we do to make money. We should show the other businessman the same respect and show diligence and are involvement of transefering goods for wealth.

The Overlord Returns
09-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Well, considering I'm talking only about the TM industries I've worked in....it could be quite different in the states. All I know is, at the theatre company I worked for, if one of my reps was told to remove someone from the list, we removed them from the list.

See, when it's a decent business that's being run, none of that sort of thing happens.

as for calling at all hours, there are certain hours of the day that are against the law for them to call during. Essentially, anytime after 9 pm at night.

scruffziller
09-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Too bad ! :rolleyes:
What a joke, labeling that as "anti-American." :rolleyes: You might rethink that claim, it's "personally offensive" to me. :rolleyes:
Sounds like you have quite the telemarketing gene in you, if you are willing to strong arm people into the label of "ignorant", or "self-centered."

Offensive to you? I hope so. Rotten meat should taste rotten. Strong arming? If I am looking at a house and then turn my head away and look at a tree, does that house cease to exist. If I fall off of a cliff, why don't I float???:confused: ...... I think you know where I am going with this........

Scruff - I'm sorry you are offended by the post. My point in starting this thread (as it usually is) was to introduce a little levity.

Your response indicated that I (I assume it is me, since you quoted my post) am somehow denying jobs for people, and that I have a "negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude." I am unclear how you have come to these conclusions. Personally, I detest having telemarketers call me at all hours. However, I said nothing about the actual people doing these jobs. I'm sure, like most people in this country, they are hard-working souls just trying to make a living. This does not change the fact that I absolutely hate being called by telemarketers. It's my opinion, and one I share with many, many, many other people. My post simply stated, with dripping sarcasm, that I thought it was quite absurd that the telemarketing director "would be personally offended" if he received a call at home. So, I fail to see any anti-American, ignorant, self-centered, or negative thinking in my post. And I really fail to see how I am denying jobs to people. My post was an opinion about my dislike of receiving telemarketing calls, nothing more. There's something extremely American in having and being able to share your opinion. Again, I'm sorry you were offended, but I personally find it more offensive that you would call me anti-American, ignorant, self-centered, and negative. I would actually like to request an apology, because there is absolutely no reason for you to say these things.

I am sorry for being too harsh Stormie(and you too Ceaser:)). We shouldn't let this divide us. And yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the thing is, is that this type of a thing is not just all about opinions. My bank account was severly reduced in size when 9/11 hit and it there was no opinion to the creditors at the smaller check I sent them.
It was black and white. As a person I have opinions only because I have my own unique point of view that is the only thing that seperates opinion from fact. But when I form an opinion, it is with the biggest confidence it is the truth. And if that opinion is shaken by additional evidence, I am quick to change it. For me, when I live a harsh truth and then someone who does not share that truth with you in experience but forms a judgement on it anyway(especially if it is serious)(and usually it is incorrect) you don't feel like you are living in America anymore. Being a great American is not about relying on "hit and miss" as a whole, but to value the "hits" and shun the "misses." We do things to get the job done, not to be wish washy. I am not demanding for anyone to start buying things from telemarketers, but I am requesting a respect for the industry and the recognition of its importance in how it keeps the economy going and keeps us fighting them dang building-bloweruppers:D. I mean it must not be that big of a nuisance if they are actually making legimate money and staying in business. There has to be some happy men who are enjoying the company of their ladies because those men took the initiative to ask them out, but not without a 100 "No get out of here you freak!!!" In fact the ultimate respect to the industry is to put "Call Manager" on your phone and/or to say put you on the no call list. THat cuts our expenses down so we can get to the people who will listen. Believe it or not there are.

2-1B
09-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Offensive to you? I hope so. Rotten meat should taste rotten. Strong arming? If I am looking at a house and then turn my head away and look at a tree, does that house cease to exist. If I fall off of a cliff, why don't I float???:confused: ...... I think you know where I am going with this........

No, actually I have no idea what you are talking about. :)

Unless by "rotten meat" you mean "telemarketing". Hmmm, makes sense. :)

"house still exists" = "telemarketers never stop bugging you" ? Yeah, l'll agree with that. :)

"fall off cliff / no floating" = "telling telemarketers to leave me alone but they still call back" ? Sounds about right. :)

Okay, I guess I do know where you're going with this. :)

Patient Zero
09-11-2002, 12:39 PM

You're not the only one! What the hell are we even argueeing about.

If that is your job then fine, but if you think I have to be nice to someone who is bothering me then you are mistaken.

scruffziller
09-11-2002, 01:21 PM

Unless by "rotten meat" you mean "telemarketing". Hmmm, makes sense. :)

"house still exists" = "telemarketers never stop bugging you" ? Yeah, l'll agree with that. :)

"fall off cliff / no floating" = "telling telemarketers to leave me alone but they still call back" ? Sounds about right. :)

Okay, I guess I do know where you're going with this. :)

I will clarify, even though I did apologize.:rolleyes:
Rotten meat, you are offended by me saying by having that attitude is anti-American. By being offended you are realizing the error of your ways and tasting the rottenness, the cold hard truth which does not favor of the current situation. But spew it from your mouth and the bad taste will disappear.(must read the addition to the post you read.)

As for the other metaphores, it means that you can continue in your behavior of your conduct towards the telemarketing industry
and keep your current opinion but it is not without consequence. How much you think it means nothing to give the telemarketing industry no respect, they are real people, like you and me, and they have real lives that also have consequence. People go broke, starve, and because they do, you will too. And when we do not give due to our fellow Americans, what does that say?
I would like to think it is all part of the grand scheme, but as humans we are part of that grand scheme and we have independent minds and descisions so therefore I must continue to strive to educate. So strong arming, hmmmmmm....... you are doing what you do, and it is what it is, regardless of what I say.

Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

You're not the only one! What the hell are we even argueeing about.

If that is your job then fine, but if you think I have to be nice to someone who is bothering me then you are mistaken.

Like I said earlier in the thread, common courtesy. If you are bothered say take me off the list or place "Call Manager" on your phone. Besides telemarketers are calling to establish business, regardles of how you feel about it. Your feeling does not define our intent. MODERATORS YOU BETTER CLOSE THIS THREAD, this is the one subject besides straight politics and religon and can't be nice about.:Pirate:

Darth Sidious
09-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Taking the day off, my buttocks! I just got 3 sales calls today! Absolutely ridiculous! :mad:

stormie
09-11-2002, 03:00 PM
See, this is why I don't often start any threads; people just take everything so dang seriously. ;)

Now, to unfortunately be serious (again):

I am sorry for being too harsh Stormie(and you too Ceaser:)). We shouldn't let this divide us. And yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the thing is, is that this type of a thing is not just all about opinions. My bank account was severly reduced in size when 9/11 hit and it there was no opinion to the creditors at the smaller check I sent them.
It was black and white. As a person I have opinions only because I have my own unique point of view that is the only thing that seperates opinion from fact. But when I form an opinion, it is with the biggest confidence it is the truth. And if that opinion is shaken by additional evidence, I am quick to change it. For me, when I live a harsh truth and then someone who does not share that truth with you in experience but forms a judgement on it anyway(especially if it is serious)(and usually it is incorrect) you don't feel like you are living in America anymore. Being a great American is not about relying on "hit and miss" as a whole, but to value the "hits" and shun the "misses." We do things to get the job done, not to be wish washy. I am not demanding for anyone to start buying things from telemarketers, but I am requesting a respect for the industry and the recognition of its importance in how it keeps the economy going and keeps us fighting them dang building-bloweruppers:D. I mean it must not be that big of a nuisance if they are actually making legimate money and staying in business. There has to be some happy men who are enjoying the company of their ladies because those men took the initiative to ask them out, but not without a 100 "No get out of here you freak!!!" In fact the ultimate respect to the industry is to put "Call Manager" on your phone and/or to say put you on the no call list. THat cuts our expenses down so we can get to the people who will listen. Believe it or not there are.

Scruff - Thank you for realizing you were being "too harsh;" however, you previously stated that I am somehow denying jobs for people, and that I have a "negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude." You didn't address these accusations, and I find these extremely offensive and unwarranted. I'll state, again, my purpose of posting this thread: I just wanted to point out how funny and ironic it was that a telemarketing director would think it offensive if he received a telemarketing call at home today. My post also provided the assumption (correctly) that I do not like receiving telemarketing calls. That's it. All of it was presented in a tongue-in-cheek manner with the aim of allowing other forumites to enjoy the irony. Uh, so much for that.

Your statements above seem to assume that I wish ill will on telemarketers and the telemarketing industry in general. However, I actually fully accept the need for the telemarketing industry in America. This is the essence of capitalism. The same goes for people that make their livings as telemarketers, they are just trying to make an honest living. But this doesn't have to mean that I enjoy receiving unsolicited calls. I accept that a dentist needs to drill into my bicuspid when needed. Do I enjoy it? Heck no. ;) Do we make light of dentists eagerly drilling into teeth? Yes, because it's a way for people to deal with things they don't like. This is why I started this thread - just a little funny, ironic thing.

So, this gets back to the "denying jobs for people, and that I have a negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude." Sorry, but this is where I can't let it go. On this day of all days, to call someone anti-American, without justification, is just plain dumb. I could probably let the "denying jobs for people" statement go (eventhough I'm still unclear how I'm denying jobs to people) or even let the "negative, ignorant and self-centered" remarks go, but the anti-American thing, not a chance. So here's what I propose. A brief direct retraction of that statement, and an apology. Simple and precise. Sorry, usually I have pretty thick skin, but this one actually made it through. And, again, I'm sorry you took offense at my initial post. I believe I have stated my intent was only to amuse.

QLD
09-11-2002, 05:44 PM
I look forward to telemarketer calls now. It's a chance to practice my theatre skills. Sometimes I am Hank, the abusivce, alcoholic husband.

Sometimes I am the guy who was just woken up.

Sometimes I am the guy who "got off the john for this?"

Or even, sometimes, I am the sleezy playboy.

Yesterday, I was the guy who just broke up with his girlfriend and couldn't stop crying.

Funny, I don't usually get too many repeat calls.

scruffziller
09-11-2002, 08:14 PM
See, this is why I don't often start any threads; people just take everything so dang seriously. ;)

Now, to unfortunately be serious (again):

Scruff - Thank you for realizing you were being "too harsh;" however, you previously stated that I am somehow denying jobs for people, and that I have a "negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude." You didn't address these accusations, and I find these extremely offensive and unwarranted. I'll state, again, my purpose of posting this thread: I just wanted to point out how funny and ironic it was that a telemarketing director would think it offensive if he received a telemarketing call at home today. My post also provided the assumption (correctly) that I do not like receiving telemarketing calls. That's it. All of it was presented in a tongue-in-cheek manner with the aim of allowing other forumites to enjoy the irony. Uh, so much for that.

Your statements above seem to assume that I wish ill will on telemarketers and the telemarketing industry in general. However, I actually fully accept the need for the telemarketing industry in America. This is the essence of capitalism. The same goes for people that make their livings as telemarketers, they are just trying to make an honest living. But this doesn't have to mean that I enjoy receiving unsolicited calls. I accept that a dentist needs to drill into my bicuspid when needed. Do I enjoy it? Heck no. ;) Do we make light of dentists eagerly drilling into teeth? Yes, because it's a way for people to deal with things they don't like. This is why I started this thread - just a little funny, ironic thing.

So, this gets back to the "denying jobs for people, and that I have a negative, ignorant, self-centered anti-American attitude." Sorry, but this is where I can't let it go. On this day of all days, to call someone anti-American, without justification, is just plain dumb. I could probably let the "denying jobs for people" statement go (eventhough I'm still unclear how I'm denying jobs to people) or even let the "negative, ignorant and self-centered" remarks go, but the anti-American thing, not a chance. So here's what I propose. A brief direct retraction of that statement, and an apology. Simple and precise. Sorry, usually I have pretty thick skin, but this one actually made it through. And, again, I'm sorry you took offense at my initial post. I believe I have stated my intent was only to amuse.
sorry about that stormie, I may not have clearly stated addressed that, I thought maybe that all I said above did the job.
I am not personally attacking you, but merely the attitudes themselves and people can be educated and change. I do recognize that it was to amuse only now and as I reread your post that is evident, it is just the memories came flooding back and tears were brought to my eyes. But I don't think you want to bring ill will, to the industry, its just that idle talk of the tounge is like a rudder that can steer you into a storm, like this FORUM OS SIRSTEVES GUIDE!!!:eek: :D

Exhaust Port
09-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Yesterday between 5 and 6pm I got 5 telemarketer calls, 3 of which were within 10 minutes. All of which required me to get out of bed as I layed there sick and answer the phone as I was waiting for a returned call from my girlfriend. Methods such as junkmail and even the annoying spam-mail are passive in the sense that they don't require active participation on my part. Yes, I tell them to put me on the "don't call list" but how many telemarketing operations are there at any given time? How many of those that I told never call me again have gone under? How many new operations have started up? You can't win.

Some states have allowed locals to sign up to block all telemarketing calls making it illegal for them to be contacted. I just hope my state follows their lead.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-11-2002, 09:39 PM
I am only minor annoyed by telemarketers (as opposed to majorly annoyed). I am usually polite with them, listen to their spiel, then say no and hang up.

The ones that I hate are the ones who, after you say, "thank you but I am not interested," continute to babble on by saying "Well sir, let me tell you about our . . . . " as if they didn't hear you the first time.
No, is no. Then you have to wait for them to finish before you reaffirm what you said earlier or you could rudely hang up on them.

I do recognize that the majority of telemarketers are legit, but the ones who prey upon old people and manipulate them into cleaning out their entire retirement savings in exchange for a cheap Walkman and luggage, deserve the worst kind of punishment available to them. I have read many a story of old people being bilked out of their savings and there is nothing anyone could to do restore their savings.

2-1B
09-11-2002, 11:59 PM
I will clarify, even though I did apologize.:rolleyes:
Rotten meat, you are offended by me saying by having that attitude is anti-American. By being offended you are realizing the error of your ways and tasting the rottenness, the cold hard truth which does not favor of the current situation. But spew it from your mouth and the bad taste will disappear.(must read the addition to the post you read.)

As for the other metaphores, it means that you can continue in your behavior of your conduct towards the telemarketing industry
and keep your current opinion but it is not without consequence. How much you think it means nothing to give the telemarketing industry no respect, they are real people, like you and me, and they have real lives that also have consequence. People go broke, starve, and because they do, you will too. And when we do not give due to our fellow Americans, what does that say?
I would like to think it is all part of the grand scheme, but as humans we are part of that grand scheme and we have independent minds and descisions so therefore I must continue to strive to educate. So strong arming, hmmmmmm....... you are doing what you do, and it is what it is, regardless of what I say.

Like I said earlier in the thread, common courtesy. If you are bothered say take me off the list or place "Call Manager" on your phone. Besides telemarketers are calling to establish business, regardles of how you feel about it. Your feeling does not define our intent. MODERATORS YOU BETTER CLOSE THIS THREAD, this is the one subject besides straight politics and religon and can't be nice about.:Pirate:

No, my "being offended" comment was a direct mockery of your whining about how our views on these telemarketers offend you. :rolleyes:

There is no error of my ways to recognize, let me disavow you of that right now. The telemarketing industry is not "real people". They are cold computers which dial my number and say NOTHING when I answer politely, "hello? hello? hello?". Why should I put up with that? Should I wait for the person sitting at the desk to actually cross over to me from that automatic dialer? Nope, doesn't work that way. :mad:

Wow, I've never seen someone take such offense at anyone's disgust at the mere mention of the word "telemarketing." :rolleyes:

Why the [EDITED] would I "go broke and starve"? ? ? Because I don't want some crook's stupid credit card with 29% interest ? ? ? :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? "Call manager" ? ? ? I'm supposed to pay for some contraption to keep them away? Riiiiiiight . . .

I should have just treated this like a real telemarketing call, with an immediate

*CLICK*

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

Mod Note: Removed Offensive word.
DA

Beast
09-12-2002, 12:14 AM
I agree with everything that Caesar said. Telemarketers are the proffessional equivelent to crank callers. I hate that auto-dialer bullcrap where I waste the time answering my phone only to get noone on the other end for a long time.

Atleast give me an automated message so I know to hang up and not think some arsehole is crank calling me. I will not pay my money for some stupid box to stop calls coming in from these people. I'm gonna start treating the live ones like I'm on Crank Yankers. :evil: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
09-12-2002, 12:52 AM
EVERYONE CALM DOWN!!!!!

I telemarketed for a while because I needed a job to pay my bills. And every job in the paper at the time required x amount of years experiance. So if telemarketers are not "real people", what the heck am I????

It is not a fun job. It is not enjoyable. It payed my bills. And telemarketers ARE real people. They could be your neighbors, cousins, friends. You say that you will "tell them where to stick it"??? How would you like to be told that . . . . . . about 300 times a day??? That's what it was like. I adveraged about 300 calls a day in 4 states. About 175 of those calls were ppl telling me where to stick it and other unpleasent things. Another 100 were answering machines or no answers. About 25 of those were ppl who were interested in what I had to say. I worked for Appleby Window Systems. We did replacement windows, sliding glass doors, front doors, and Patio enclousures. And I had a nervous breakdown after a little over a year there . . . . because I had 1 too many ppl tell me "where to stick it" that day. I left that job soon after.

This is the same problem I have when ppl bad mouth retail workers. How do you look at an employee in a store??? Do you see them as a person, or do you see something less then a person??? I swear in my 5 yrs at WM, I think ppl see us workers as something less then human. With the way some of our ppl get talked to is absurd. Case in point, this happened a few days ago to my wife, who is the dept manager for Paper goods and Chemicals:

She is standing down at one end of the asile, stocking the shelf. A woman is down at the other end. This woman yells up to my wife, "HEY!!! . . . . . . . . . HEY YOU!!!! WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU STICK THE BAR SOAP NOW????" My wife had no real idea who she was talking to because there were other ppl in the asile with her. So then this woman STOMPS up to my wife and says, "HEY! Are you deaf???? Where did you move the damn bar soap???" Now my wife doesn't take that kind of attitude very nicely, but she bit her tongue, and explained that the bar soap was over in our Health and Beauty Aids dept, and offered to take her there. As my wife went to take her there, she forgot something and had to turn around to get it. When she did, she saw that same customer sticking her tongue out at her in a very unpleasent face. IMO, that was uncalled for, the entire thing. A simple "Excuse me" would have been nice to start off with. So why is it that employees who serve you are looked down upon???

And there are sometimes shen you invite the telemarketers to call you. Have you ever filled out a card to win something?? Like a Patio enclousure, or free windows, or something along that line?? If so, you are asked your phone number in order for them to contact you IF you win. This also shows the company that you have an intrest in their product, so they will call you about it. Something to think about the next time you put in for a contest.

Here is the way to stop the calls. DO NOT HANG UP ON THEM! They will only call you back in about 3 weeks or less. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED! Then they will call you back in about 1-3 months. Tell them to put you on their DO NOT CALL LIST and that you want a certified letter sent to you confirming this. Then inform them IF they do call again, you will report that buisness to the Better Buisness Burue(sp). And if they do call again, follow up on that promise. On other thing that can be done, I know PA is doing it and I think a few other states too. there is a phone number you can call or a web site to add your name to your states Do Not Call List.

FOR PA RESIDENTS ONLY!! Got to www.nocallsplease.com to sign up on this. It will take effect in Sept sometime and by next spring, your calls will be reduced. Check with your local governments to see if your state has a similar program.

That is all I have to say. Just remember that the person on the other end of the line IS a person too. They have a family and a life and maybe, just maybe, this is the best job that they can get right now.

2-1B
09-12-2002, 01:10 AM
Dar, my comment about them "not being real people" was used in the context of the auto-dialer.

scruffziller
09-12-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
EVERYONE CALM DOWN!!!!!

I telemarketed for a while because I needed a job to pay my bills. And every job in the paper at the time required x amount of years experiance. So if telemarketers are not "real people", what the heck am I????

It is not a fun job. It is not enjoyable. It payed my bills. And telemarketers ARE real people. They could be your neighbors, cousins, friends. You say that you will "tell them where to stick it"??? How would you like to be told that . . . . . . about 300 times a day??? That's what it was like. I adveraged about 300 calls a day in 4 states. About 175 of those calls were ppl telling me where to stick it and other unpleasent things. Another 100 were answering machines or no answers. About 25 of those were ppl who were interested in what I had to say. I worked for Appleby Window Systems. We did replacement windows, sliding glass doors, front doors, and Patio enclousures. And I had a nervous breakdown after a little over a year there . . . . because I had 1 too many ppl tell me "where to stick it" that day. I left that job soon after.

This is the same problem I have when ppl bad mouth retail workers. How do you look at an employee in a store??? Do you see them as a person, or do you see something less then a person??? I swear in my 5 yrs at WM, I think ppl see us workers as something less then human. With the way some of our ppl get talked to is absurd. Case in point, this happened a few days ago to my wife, who is the dept manager for Paper goods and Chemicals:

She is standing down at one end of the asile, stocking the shelf. A woman is down at the other end. This woman yells up to my wife, "HEY!!! . . . . . . . . . HEY YOU!!!! WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU STICK THE BAR SOAP NOW????" My wife had no real idea who she was talking to because there were other ppl in the asile with her. So then this woman STOMPS up to my wife and says, "HEY! Are you deaf???? Where did you move the damn bar soap???" Now my wife doesn't take that kind of attitude very nicely, but she bit her tongue, and explained that the bar soap was over in our Health and Beauty Aids dept, and offered to take her there. As my wife went to take her there, she forgot something and had to turn around to get it. When she did, she saw that same customer sticking her tongue out at her in a very unpleasent face. IMO, that was uncalled for, the entire thing. A simple "Excuse me" would have been nice to start off with. So why is it that employees who serve you are looked down upon???

And there are sometimes shen you invite the telemarketers to call you. Have you ever filled out a card to win something?? Like a Patio enclousure, or free windows, or something along that line?? If so, you are asked your phone number in order for them to contact you IF you win. This also shows the company that you have an intrest in their product, so they will call you about it. Something to think about the next time you put in for a contest.

Here is the way to stop the calls. DO NOT HANG UP ON THEM! They will only call you back in about 3 weeks or less. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED! Then they will call you back in about 1-3 months. Tell them to put you on their DO NOT CALL LIST and that you want a certified letter sent to you confirming this. Then inform them IF they do call again, you will report that buisness to the Better Buisness Burue(sp). And if they do call again, follow up on that promise. On other thing that can be done, I know PA is doing it and I think a few other states too. there is a phone number you can call or a web site to add your name to your states Do Not Call List.

FOR PA RESIDENTS ONLY!! Got to www.nocallsplease.com to sign up on this. It will take effect in Sept sometime and by next spring, your calls will be reduced. Check with your local governments to see if your state has a similar program.

That is all I have to say. Just remember that the person on the other end of the line IS a person too. They have a family and a life and maybe, just maybe, this is the best job that they can get right now.

Dang Dar, you couldn't have said it better.

Yesterday between 5 and 6pm I got 5 telemarketer calls, 3 of which were within 10 minutes. All of which required me to get out of bed as I layed there sick and answer the phone as I was waiting for a returned call from my girlfriend. Methods such as junkmail and even the annoying spam-mail are passive in the sense that they don't require active participation on my part. Yes, I tell them to put me on the "don't call list" but how many telemarketing operations are there at any given time? How many of those that I told never call me again have gone under? How many new operations have started up? You can't win.

Some states have allowed locals to sign up to block all telemarketing calls making it illegal for them to be contacted. I just hope my state follows their lead.

I cannot believe that there was companies out there willing to do that on 9/11 anniversery. I would have been hating my job so bad that day.

I should have just treated this like a real telemarketing call, with an immediate

*CLICK*

[/COLOR]

Ceaser that is the most honaorable thing you can do to a telemarketer. It makes their job easier and makes it easier on you and you don't have to say I'm not interested. Because that is what I actually do myself.

Now as for why I have been offended is not soley directed at telemarketing but at any legimate profession that gets a bad rap such as lawyers, doctors,salesmen of any kind, insurance companies, tabacco industry, etc, the list goes on and on. I am really offended by lawyer jokes too. Now if the joke said "corrupt lawyer" then that is a good joke but they don't say that, they say just LAWYER. I believe I have arroused a new awareness of an unaddressed discrimination. Careerism: Biggotry of people in a given profession. Now folks, I'm not sure what all of you do here for a living, but if I caught someone on here attacking you and calling you a hack or saying what you do is nothing or you are a crook, they would have another thing coming.

Now back to the grind:D
Here is a website of comments from companies from the Federal Trade Commision that tell how the anti-telemarketing attitude hurts America. Federal Trade Commision (http://www.ftc.gov/os/comments/dncpapercomments/04/)

Exhaust Port
09-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Actually Scruffziller my afternoon with the telemarketers was on 9/10 not the 11th. Yesterday was the first day of silence from the telemarketers since I've been stuck at home this last week.

I can't seem to understand though what drives people to choice a job that obviously annoys 99% of the public. Yes it pays the bills but never once when searching the want ads was a telemarketing job the only one listed. I therefore can't feel sorry for someone who gets yelled all day for being basically a public nuisence (sp?). As someone else said in this thread, it's no different than a crank call.

As I said before I try the "place me on the no call list" but with so many local/regional/state/interstate/national operations there is no way that I can stop this. I'd have to say over the last few months that I'm averaging about 4 calls a day on my days home. That works out to be 1200 unwanted calls a year. This isn't a problem?

scruffziller
09-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Well like I would have liked to tell people who say stuff like that to me on the phone, "If my intent was to bug you, I would sit at home and do it and make an album of it and sell it for more than I am making here. And if I'm paying my bills legitamatley by doing something that you consider a nuisance, just think how much of a nuisance it is to pay more taxes because of being on welfare." As for the getting a job that annoys 99% of the people, in reference to my last post, what is the percentage of people who feel good about lawyers? It may not be the same kind of annoyance, but lots of loathing is had to that profession. And secondly, with a job that is such as that, is tagged with a high price. Telemarketing companies that I have heard of can pay way up to $14/hr. or even more starting out with handsome sign on bonuses. At the last company I worked for, I started at $9.00/ hr. with a GUARANTEED 50 cents raise every 6 months, with a $500 sign on bonus and I got $500 referral bonuses as well. So compared to alot of other jobs available and what certain unskilled folk can obtain, and with the high turnover rate they have, they draw lots of folks in. The people getting the job, most are not thinking to hard about the harshness, but the hefty paycheck. Make sure you re-read Dar Argol's post again.

2-1B
09-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Lawyers don't call me at home to bother me, what an irrelevant comparison.

The Overlord Returns
09-12-2002, 01:40 PM
well....construction workers outside my house are constantly making noise and bothering the hell out of me. However, they are just doing the job they are paid to do because they need to make a living. So, I think I'll put the blame on the company that hired them to do it, and be civil to the frontline joe out there...

scruffziller
09-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Lawyers don't call me at home to bother me, what an irrelevant comparison.
If you would read the post instead of skimming.

It may not be the same kind of annoyance, but lots of loathing is had to that profession.

People are annoyed by the fact that they can be shady and overpriced. My point in that post has to do with generalized bothersomes, no specifics. But who knows they can call your house and bother you if you become involved "UNEXPECTEDLY" in a case. *Ceaser:"LOOK I'VE TOLD YOU EVERYTHING I KNOW!!! STOP CALLING ME!!!!! PUT ME ON YOUR DO NOT CALL LIST!!!:cry:*Or what about your local sherrif asking for donations for his campaign.Then you will be dying to hear from "just" telemarketers.
There are lawyer's who also hire or do it themselves to sell generalized legal service on contract plans, so alot of establishments who establish business in some way uses telemarketing in some degree. I better stop typing or the length of my post won't get all read and the point will be missed and then will need to post another lengthy reply.:sur: :rolleyes:

well....construction workers outside my house are constantly making noise and bothering the hell out of me. However, they are just doing the job they are paid to do because they need to make a living. So, I think I'll put the blame on the company that hired them to do it, and be civil to the frontline joe out there...

Extremely well said.:)

2-1B
09-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Scruff, I did read your whole post, I just think it's an irrelevant comparison. :)
If a lawyer uses telemarketing to bother me, my complaint falls under the general section of telemarketing. Which is what we're talking about already.
If you want to go into the idea that many people think lawyers are "shady and overpriced", then yes it is irrelevant. If I don't like a lawyer's methods or business practices, I just won't go there. If he's calling me without my instigation, then we're back to the topic of this thread. Rest assured, telemarketing lawyers fall within my disgust too. :)

Overlord, I agree with your comments re: construction workers, but how does it apply? Construction serves a purpose, a benefit to society.
Where's the benefit in calling me with a "special offer" on a 28.5% credit card? :confused:

Scruff, since you're accusing me of not reading everything, let's just be clear that I never said I am rude to telemarketers.

vulcantouch
09-13-2002, 01:12 AM
d'a: "remember that the person on the other end of the line IS a person too"
-why should we? in the very act of telemarketing they are refusing the same to the people they harrass for money. and i don't care how polite & professional they are, it's still harrassment.

"How would you like to be told that . . . . . . about 300 times a day??? That's what it was like. . . I had a nervous breakdown after a little over a year there"
-it's called karma, like it or lump it :evil: every career- including those that should be outlawed- has its downside. cry me a river.

"This is the same problem I have when ppl bad mouth retail workers. . .why is it that employees who serve you are looked down upon?"
-human nature; but then, i spose it's also human nature to rationalize unethical practices in the name of making a living. i spose it's also human nature to obscure & evade the issue when losing an argument, in that None of that has anything to do with the ethicality of telemarketing.

"Here is the way to stop the calls"
-all your suggestions are overcomplicated stopgaps which only prolong the eventual, righteous demise of the telemarketing industry. the way to stop it is to Outlaw it, period.

tor: "Survival is survival"
-you're right in one respect: survival doesn't necessarily have Anything to do with being ethical.

"telephone marketing is pretty much the number 1 way to market a product"
-equating profitability and ethicalness is a common mistake among pure capitalists. i once ran across a coupla home alarm salesmen who picked their marks by going thru police files of recent burglaries. in targeting these recently-robbed homeowners they were able to yield a 33% sales rate. does that high yield make their opportunistic preying on people's emotions ethical?

"Anyone working for a legitimate business, selling a product (ie, subscriptions for a particular theatre) is simply making a living"
-ok, then let's see how you like this: let's say your father gets on someone's bad side & causes them so much trouble they decide to hire me to shoot him in the leg to teach him a lesson. so as this "troubleshooter" would i not also Simply be making a living by selling my services? as a capitalist who's only concerned with people bein able to make a living, would you have a problem with that? why? cuz assault is illegal? so what? make telemarketing illegal too. cuz assault's unethical? seeing as how you have no ethical objections to harassing people in their own homes in the name of commerce, who are you to make That call? suppose your dad had it coming? in that case i'm simply a karmic agent, which sounds pretty ethical to me :)

"at the theatre company I worked for, if one of my reps was told to remove someone from the list, we removed them"
-it sounds like you're saying you solicited from people who'd previously purchased the same product, and your calling list was compiled that way. if so, you'll see that's covered under my "previous consent or acquaintance" exemption :)

"construction workers outside my house are constantly making noise and bothering the hell out of me. However, they are just doing the job they are paid to do because they need to make a living"
-they're also doing it cuz, unlike telemarketing, construction Needs to be done. (you see, it's actually CONSTRUCTive :happy: ) there is no way to soundlessly conduct construction work, so contractors are granted clearance to generate a certain amount of noise in the course of doing their work during certain hours of the day. and if they overstep those ordinances they are indeed subject to prosecution. also, when the job's over, the noise is over for you. but the noise of telemarketing's Never over. for both these reasons your analogy does not apply.

scruffy-z: "it is a free country"
-by necessity the exercise of All freedoms except freedom of thought have limits imposed on them. otherwise let's hope Your dad doesn't pizz off anyone i know (see above example), cuz after all it is a Free country :evil:

"you have the freedom to place call manager on your phone"
-ah, islam's trusty "trust in god but tie your camel" aphorism, eh? be assured i have already seen to it that it is so difficult to reach me by phone even the legendary white house operators (famed for being able to connect Anyone Anywhere Anytime) would likely fail. but that's beside the point. a thief is not "less guilty" just cuz the crime was easier to commit, whether the theft be someone's camel or someone's time.

"hang a 'NO SOLICITING' sign on your door"
-i'm afraid you're tawkin to a fellow former sinner here, so i can expose the flaw in your advice: when i was 14 i took a job sellin newspaper subscriptions door-to-door. when we asked our crew boss if we should heed those signs he said "absolutely not, they only hang those cuz they know they're a soft touch. besides, you're young; if they get mad just say you didn't know what the word 'solicit' means".
my brother has a night job & an infant son. he & his wife've hung on their door a sign saying as much to let peddlers know they need undisturbed sleep during the day. do you think that sign's heeded? do you think such measures would stop telemarketers?
as a matter of practice peddlers assume those signs are meant for everyone but them. who was it who said the essence of immorality is the tendency to make an exception of oneself? these sales businesses are built on having no respect for people's wishes in the one place they Should be respected, their own homes. thus, they are inherently unethical & should be outlawed like any other corrupt business practice.

"It is how this country became great. By people getting up and taking the initiative, not waiting for it to come around or placing a feeble hand out in the light "HOPING" someone will notice you"
-is this how you denigratingly characterize enterpreneurs who bother to open & maintain storefronts instead of harassing people in their own homes? by equating them with beggars on the street? if so i'd say your notion of "what made this country great" needs a bit of fine-tuning. (besides, at least most beggars don't go door-to-door :p )
also, just cuz something helped "make this country great" doesn't mean it's above question. genocide and slavery also helped make this country great. does that mean we shouldn't've left Those practices behind?
you'll note that, rather than traffick in overly-broad, whitewashy slogans like "it's what made this country great" i use a finer scalpel in separating the ethical from the unethical. for example, though i find junk mail appallingly wasteful, i'm not advocating its outlawing cuz at least that always remains in the recipient's complete control. on the other hand, spamming Should be outlawed cuz emailboxes have limited capacities and spammin could cause crucial messages to be bounced out by overstuffing those capacities.

"just think how much of a nuisance it is to pay more taxes because of being on welfare"
-so that's the choice? telemarketing parasitism or welfare? you sure don't have much faith in the resilience of american capitalism.

"I believe I have arroused a new awareness of an unaddressed discrimination"
-no you haven't; lawyers have been whining about lawyer-bashing since shakespeare. again, cry me a river, they're more than compensated for a few jokes :p

"We are lazy in alot of ways, especially as consumers"
-pshaw, we're not That lazy; if we really want or need some product we'll get off our cans & go to above-mentioned storefronts and Buy it. if we can't be bothered we can just do without. That's where the line of personal responsibility should be drawn. the convenience of the one-in-a-million occurrence of a refrigerator salesman comin-a-callin just as yours goes on the fritz is no compensation for the uncounted hours of people's time wasted by all the other sales calls.

"they are real people, like you and me"
-if that's true that means they also have a responsibility to realize the unethicality of telemarketing and to shun same or face the consequences :p

"when we do not give due to our fellow Americans, what does that say?"
-when you're so quick to apply this concept of "giving due" to a telemarketer's need to make a living, while not applying it to your fellow americans' right to remain unharrassed in their own homes, what does That say?

"people can be educated and change. . . I must continue to strive to educate"
-educator, educate thyself :p

"MODERATORS YOU BETTER CLOSE THIS THREAD"
-hmmph, for someone who wraps his arguments in the flag as much as you do you sure are quick to call for speech suppression just cuz the battle's not goin yer way :p

"I am requesting a respect for the industry and the recognition of its importance in how it keeps the economy going"
-Request Denied, on the grounds that your arguments are specious and dogmatic :p
throw em All out of work, i say. they'll adapt, the economy'll adapt, the greater good'll be served, life'll go on. That's how "this country became great" ;)
vt

2-1B
09-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Beggars and thieves? :D :D :D :D :D

DarthBrandon
09-13-2002, 02:55 AM
I swore that I was not going to post in this thread, it's just too ugly in here. I know for the most part that people hate Telemarketers, and I don't blame them but here is something I would like to share with you. Not all Telemarketing jobs are bad, for example ,say you need a Discover card, Who do you call? You would call the Discover line right, well Discover has Telemarketers calling you to offer a card as apposed to you calling them. Then we have the famous save on your long distance plan Telemarketers, they actually do save you money on your long distance calls as well, even though you do hate them calling. We also have online/phone line catalog companies such as Spiegel, Eddie Bauer, and Newport News, they are a form of Telemarketers as well, they provide both online/phone line services for their companies and they take orders for various products too. When you call them you might be only looking for a sweater or pants, but you may leave the phone call with 2 sweaters and 2 pants, plus 3 Mags and a set towels. The same applies to a grocery store or clothing store, when there are specials on at that moment a sales person is likely to tell you about them and if they don't then it is posted in great big signs like " buy two get one free" "this is a savings of ten dollars. Same type of idea or concept, but it's all about saving you money in the long run. I understand that most of you hate Telemarketers, but they do create business and clients, which in turn keeps the Economy running, maybe not a big part, but a part in itself. I don't like them calling me anymore than you do, but I do look at it a different way because I have some friends and a wife that do that. The wife does the Discover card and two of my friends work for Spiegel / Eddie Bauer / Newport. I personally find nothing wrong with someone calling and asking you if you want a credit card or someone calling and asking for a sweater and leaving with a few more items than they needed, but they were on sale, so they bought them. I do however have a problem with being called more than once by a company when you said no once already, move on to the next person who hasnít been called before. That's my two cents, take it or leave it, there is both good and bad in various forms of Telemarketing, but not all bad in my opinion.:D

Captain Trips
09-13-2002, 09:01 AM
You know what? Instead of getting angry, I take the another path, and have a lot more fun too.

I listen to the whole schpiel, act interested, even ask questions about whatever the Hell it is that they're selling. Then, when its time to close the deal, I get their first and last names, demand their supervisor's name, demand to be put on the "do not call list" and have confirmation of such mailed to my home (all of which they are required to do under the law).

As someone mentioned earlier, these people have quotas to meet. Nothing could be worse to a telemarketer than having a mark keep them on the line and then pull the rug out . They lose out on valuable calling time. I have a little fun at their expense, and probably save two or three people the inconvenience of having to deal with these nuisances. I've had telemarketers cussing at me for this :) !

Trust me, the word gets out. I used to get many calls a day. Now, I'm lucky to get one a week.

The Overlord Returns
09-13-2002, 09:25 AM
So you're trying to get the telemarketer fired for not meeting his quota?

Captain Trips
09-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Well, the way I see it, the more time I spend on the line with them, the less time they have to bother somebody else. this had the added benefit of the company spending more time and money on a sale that never materializes. I'm certainly not trying to get anyone fired.

Bear in mind, THEY called ME, and they are getting paid for the call. I am not.

How can it be wrong for me to waste their time, time they get paid for, and okay for them to waste my free time?

Anyhoo, like I said, it works. I just don't get bothered anymore. They must've moved on to greener pastures.

The Overlord Returns
09-13-2002, 10:19 AM
As I've stated before, being in the canadian market, I do not know how aggressive american Tm's can be.

What I do know is this.

If a prospect on the phone tells a TM he's not interested right away, they will move on. They do not want to take time with someone who won't buy, when there are atleast 7 out off 100 prospects out there who will. It's logic that I always used, on the phone, and as the dept manager during my time in the telemarketing industry.

It's the company that's having these reps call you over and over again. It isn't the rep stupidly pursuing a lead that won't pan out.

Unfortunately, you may inadvertently be getting the person fired for not making enough calls. Luckily, it's telemarketing, and they can always find another job...

QLD
09-14-2002, 11:56 AM
I don't mind so much when they let you go if you say you aren't interested.

However, when they keep on....and on.....and on...begging, and then ARGUING with you......

MCI was the WORST about actually arguing with you, and chastising you for not wanting to "save" money with them.....

Dar' Argol
09-14-2002, 02:42 PM
OK, maybe my last post was a little strong. What I was trying to do was give you the other site of the argument, being I did that for a while. I am not defending it, and I did not really like it while I was employed there. But you hear sooo many ppl complain and berate Telemarketers, yet no one knows what it is like. I also believe that Telemarketing should be outlawed VT, but I don't see it happening too soon. What I was doing was presenting the ways in which I know of to reduce or stop the calls.

And what is with the attitude towards me??? I was mearly trying to give light to this issue. And my remarks about the retail world was just comparing the feelings I have about both professions. There is the same type of feeling of animosity between Telemarketers and Retail workers. So there was a connection. But the only way you would know this, is if you have done both. Relax man . . . . . . .I'm not defending them . . . . . . . . . . I'm giving you the second side to this story:D

QLD
09-14-2002, 03:13 PM
I have done both Dar, and I understand. I was a retail manager for 10 years before starting my present job. And I did telemarketing for a week. I couldn't go back. I didn't even go get my paycheck.

scruffziller
09-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Well let me take the side of of folks on the other end of the phone for a while. Most of the folks I worked with were people just getting out of prison and were at the halfway house. And guess what, the place of employment was right near the halfway house so you know they were catering to them to get a job there. But as soon as their term was up at the halfway house they went back to their original job. So myself, aside from what they are offering over the phone, I would not buy from a telemarketer because of the quality of the people handling your order. But another portion of folks are descent folks college kids, handicapped people etc.. I am a handicapped folk.

Scruff, since you're accusing me of not reading everything, let's just be clear that I never said I am rude to telemarketers.

Oh my bad Ceaser, It seemed like you were saying that you were. You are not as bad as I thought, in fact, I am being hypocritical(on my part) (and being more like yourself in the respect) by posting what I said above.:) I guess, I spent more time on the TM end that I did the consumer end. However, trying to declare and absorb the whole universe and how things fall where they must for the ultimate outcome makes your head explode.:crazed: And I do that alot. But I guess, things will happen as they will, including folks not buying from telemarketers, it is all part of the game as the ones who do buy!!:happy:

jeddah
09-17-2002, 02:10 PM
I am lucky in that I have an ex-directory phone and in the UK we have 2 organisations called FPS and TPS which are the Fax Preference and Telephone Preference Services, respectively.

Consequently, the only time I get a telesales call is if I'm visiting the parents up the road and I get the phone. This happened on Monday just gone. The operator had the emotionless patter down perfect and so when he finished I said in a flustered voice as if I had my hands full that I didn't catch it all, and could he repeat it. After three times of this I said that I wasn't interested and said goodbye.

I know it was childish but it was fun. Until the world becomes Utopia I will keep having my fun. It's a choice thing you see. In life there are very little right or wrongs, few concrete definitions and quite frankly as a bunch of SWEEKS, I am surprised none of you screaming for Telesales rights haven't pondered the old jedi adage of your focus determining your reality, not dogma or the pathetic intolerant tolerance that has infested the US since 911.

jeddah

scruffziller
09-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I don't mind so much when they let you go if you say you aren't interested.

However, when they keep on....and on.....and on...begging, and then ARGUING with you......

MCI was the WORST about actually arguing with you, and chastising you for not wanting to "save" money with them.....

The arguing they should not do at all, they would be written up if that happened, and should be. But the persistence is part of the training. I can guarantee you that 99% of telemarketers would desire to let you go the first no, but their jobs depend on their being persistent, not just by what can come out of it, but because their supervisors are listening and will endanger their job. They have a wise tale of sorts that entails, "80% of your sales come after the 1st(or maybe 2nd) rebuttle." A rebuttle is when the ask for the sale again. Or the keeping of persisting. Or they say," Your job starts when the customer says no." Different little "motivational" sayings.

vulcantouch
09-17-2002, 11:21 PM
-good man, GOOD MAN! :cool:

"what is with the attitude towards me?"
-from who, meee? ;) i only made this "personal" to the extent that you made this "personal", i.e. Personalizing this issue w/your interesting but nonrelevant tale of nervous breakdown & whatnot :) speakin of personal tales. . .

scruffyz: "I am a handicapped folk"
-in that case, would you prefer i call you hf for short, or my usual scruffy-z? :crazed:

brandon: "say you need a Discover card/they actually do save you money"
-i already dealt with your examples in the "refrigerator" passage of my prev post :) also, i'm not sure getting a discount on something you weren't in the market for in the first place really counts as "saving" money in that, whereas before you were gonna spend zero, now you're spending $$$ :greedy:
vt

scruffziller
09-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
-good man, GOOD MAN! :cool:

scruffyz: "I am a handicapped folk"
-in that case, would you prefer i call you hf for short, or my usual scruffy-z? :crazed:

vt

My handicapp is learning disabilities and emotional instability. Which has prevented me from advancing like normal folk.

TylerD
09-20-2002, 12:22 AM
Today I received an automated message about getting a better mortgage. I was going to hang up, but strangley, I was drawn to the computerized male voice. Then at the end, he gave me either the option of talking to an operator about the deal (Press 1) or taking my phone number off their list (Press 2). So I pressed 2, and a voice came on saying, "Thank you. Your number has been removed from our list." I thought the whole situation was quite pleasant.

Exhaust Port
09-20-2002, 10:57 PM

My handicapp is learning disabilities and emotional instability. Which has prevented me from advancing like normal folk.

Who's normal?

scruffziller
09-21-2002, 09:13 AM

Who's normal?

People who are more successful than me.

Exhaust Port
09-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Who doesn't have people that are more successful than them? Plus, it's not fair to judge ones personal success by how many people are "ahead" of them. A better method is to look at how many people are behind you.

When you graduate high school: Look at all those kids still in school or never graduate.

When you're taking classes to better yourself, whether they are in college or a trade school: Look at all those folks that aren't.

When you have a job: Look at all those folks that sit on their butts and mooch off the gov't, family or friends.

...the list can go on. I have plenty of things that I want to accomplish in life and I should have another 50 years to get them done. I'm not going to judge whether or not I'm a success by how well I've done in the first 29 years of my life.

scruffziller
09-23-2002, 12:05 PM
I understand what you are saying Exhaust, but I think I need to further clarify. Most of the people I work with at Wal Mart are sleazebags. They have been homeless, been in jail, almost died from being shot, dealt in drugs, did drugs most of their lives, and basically have very childish views of life and reality. The problem I have with this is, is that I have done NONE of these things. My problem is that I have always played it safe so yet I am lunked together with other people who I have nothing in common with except I work at a job with which I rather be doing something else to make better money, but has never developed the mental stamina (due to chemical inbalances in my brain) to sustain the success of the events to lead to such an acomplishment.

Exhaust Port
09-23-2002, 12:26 PM
There are other jobs out there that are much better. I personally am totally entertained by warehouse jobs. They're totally mindless and you don't have to deal with very many people, if any at all. Good times.

scruffziller
09-28-2002, 07:55 AM
I'm 29 years old and live in Northeast Ohio just south of the Snow Belt as it says under my name.

HEE!! HEE!!:D

That explains your loathing for telemarketing!!!
Ohio was one of the worst states to sell in!!!
Pennsylavania, Michichigan were real bad. Pretty much any state in the Midwest and Washington and Oregon were real bad.
People in the south, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, (except Florida) people are ultra nice and will actually talk to you (except in the big cities like Atlanta.) Now if you call New York City or Los Angeles, they are not as rude as you might think. You get the
"wheeler and deeler" crowd and you got to know their language,
if you get that down, then they are glad to talk to you.

Exhaust Port
09-28-2002, 08:47 AM
That's true we're trapped indoors for 4-5 months of the year and can't escape the telemarket onslaught.

QLD
09-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Yes, don't call Atlanta.....or Snellville either. Those people are MEAN!

;)