PDA

View Full Version : Voice controlled R2

Vortex
09-10-2002, 01:15 PM
I just got my large R2 unit, and its a pretty heavily detailed creation. Its well worth the cash as a display piece and something you can chase you dog around the house with.

Jedi Drew
09-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Man, still looking for that R2 around here!!!! Maybe I'll find it tonight...since today is my birthday.:eek: :eek: :eek: HH

Vortex
09-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Happy b-day and good luck.

I jumped on 1 when I seen it at target.com

JediBoulton
09-10-2002, 02:39 PM
tjovonovich -- what kind of noise does your R2 unit make when you tell it to pick up the dog poop??? -- hahaha.
Sounds like you really enjoy it -- I will be looking for one soon!

Vortex
09-10-2002, 02:47 PM
sadly he doesn't understand that, but if he did I'm sure he'd give me that raspberry noise.

R2 also has moods and a mind of his own. If you don't give him a command he just wanders around, and if he get tired of doing something he won't listen and his little light pipe turns red and you can tell him to take a time out and he'll go stand in a corner.

Jedi Drew
09-10-2002, 02:58 PM
That thing sounds too cool.....:cool: :cool: GOTTA GET ONE......:D :D

Jedi Drew
09-10-2002, 02:59 PM
P.S. When did you see it at Target.com??????

Vortex
09-10-2002, 03:22 PM
It was at target.com last week. When I ordered mine there were 3 left in stock

Rogue II
09-10-2002, 03:45 PM
I was at my local Target this past weekend and they had on on the shelf. It looks pretty cool. I just can't rationalize paying $100 for it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Sounds cool! What kind of other voice commands would it do?

Vortex
09-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Sounds cool! What kind of other voice commands would it do?

I don't have the booklet handy, but he plays games, you can plot him a course of travel. You can say Luke, Anakin, C-3p0, and a few other names and he'll bleep or blurt, squeel, depending on friend or foe. You can give him sentry duty where he'll patrol and sound an alarm if there's an intruder. Or he'll just stand guard and sound a warning if some one comes by.

There's some other commands and the box said there some other hidden features which I haven't found yet.

The can holder is sort of putzy, but its a party trick more than anything.

I remember seeing this at rebelscum a while back. This has the commands

http://www.r2droidfactory.com/

Hellboy
09-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I was at my local Target this past weekend and they had on on the shelf. It looks pretty cool. I just can't rationalize paying $100 for it.

I find myself agreeing with you Rogue II. All I had to do was ask myself would I rather have the Gunship and 12 action figures or an R2 unit that would scare the life out of my cat and probably won't roll on my carpet.
If I had the extra $ I might buy it but with the amount of stuff being churned out lately I'm passing and buying more action figure related toys. :)

Darth Detori
09-10-2002, 09:01 PM
I also agree. I've got PLENTY of other things to spend my money on, though it does look QUITE cool.

but you also have to consider, the $100 is just for the R2- Think of how many batteries it takes and how much they cost :p

Jedi Drew
09-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Well, my wife got me one for my birthday (today). I haven't put it together yet but it looks kick a@@. I still have to get the batteries for it. I'll post back later or tommorow.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, something that might look good on my Christmas list.

If I do get him, I hope I don't get tired with him really fast as I did with the Interactive Yoda. Within a week he was relegated to the closet of misfit toys.

Sounds like he has a lot better features. Maybe I can train it to get me refreshements and take out the garbage.

Jayspawn
09-11-2002, 12:59 AM
It sounds pretty cool. It sjust thats its a little $ and theres a lot of pricey Star Wars toys coming out now like TRU X-Wing, Republic Gunship, TRU Landspeeder, TRU 12' Luke and Tauntaun and lets not forget the FAO Shuttle.

Vortex
09-11-2002, 07:58 AM
Well no one ever said this hobby or collecting was cheap.

I do have to admit with fewer figs and ships this go around I'm actually doing less damage to my wallet so I don't mind a few outrageous prices.

But you're right, 40 here, 40 there, 20 here, 20 there, goes just as quick. They are like the gov't. They get your cash coming and going.

JEDIpartner
09-11-2002, 02:05 PM
I talked to JediDrew a little bit ago. He was cracking up... said it's pretty amazing. His wife was trying to sleep (she works in the med field) so she told him to knock it off and take his toy downstairs. :p I'm sure he'll be back up here with his post later today.

Darth VW
09-11-2002, 02:59 PM
A guy at work has one, we got it to roll around and play the imperial march, but cant figure out what exactly the command is. If anyone knows please post

Vortex
09-11-2002, 03:07 PM
That might have been on the secrets the box mentioned....

Now I want to get home and play with R2 some more.

Hellboy
09-11-2002, 06:57 PM
O.K. I know it was just yesterday when I stated I wasn't planning on getting this because of the steep price and the large amount of toys coming out in the next few months but I ran into a deal I just couldn't pass up. I only had to pay $75 for it because my local Fred Meyers (which unfortunately is a northwest chain only) had 2 in stock and all their Hasbro SW toys are 25% off. I wasn't sure if the sale would apply to such a large item but to my surprise and the cashier's it rang up at $75. I haven't taken it out of the package and put in the batteries yet but I will be doing so shortly. :D

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Definately something i'll try to get once i work over christmas break. I wonder R2 can make beer runs...(mike ponders)

Jedi Drew
09-11-2002, 09:38 PM
This R2 is just way too COOL :cool: :cool: . It kinda made my day after watching all the 9/11 stuff this morning on T.V. And as JEDIpartnr posted.....yea, it did tick off my wife since she was trying to sleep :eek: :eek: but she did buy it for me. :sur: :sur: If you do have the $$$ to get one ...buy it. I'll post in a day or so after I figure out all the voice commands.
P.S.
No, It Can't Make Beer Runs.....I Tried That Aready Sorry......... :frus: :frus:

Hellboy
09-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Man this thing is fun. I told him he was funny and he became offended and backs away from me when I approach him. If anyone figures out any other commands that aren't in the manual please post them here. I'm sure there are tons but I've only found a few. :)

Jedi Drew
09-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Hey Hellboy, Once I figure him out with the voice commands I'll post it or PM you. If you find out anything PM me O.K. It seems that we are only R2 owners....:sur: :sur:

Hellboy
09-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Sounds good Jedi Drew I'll PM you unless others express an interest in finding out other voice commands, then I'll just post here. Sure is a moody little thing though. Try asking him to power down.

Jedi Drew
09-11-2002, 10:13 PM
What is "Power Down" suppose to do??? Shut him off???

Vortex
09-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Hey guys keep me in the loop. I'd like to know the hidden stuff too. You can share with all of us.

I just wanna hear that imperial march come outta him.

Hellboy
09-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
What is "Power Down" suppose to do??? Shut him off???
Every time I've asked him to power down he shakes his dome side to side like he's saying "no". I can't seem to get him to make any other sounds like the Imperial March tjovonovich is speaking of though. He also wonders off when you stop talking to him and whistles to himself.

Lord Malakite
09-11-2002, 11:09 PM
C-3PO couldn't get him to listen. What actually made you guys think that you would fair any better? ;)

Vortex
09-12-2002, 08:18 AM
[i]I can't seem to get him to make any other sounds like the Imperial March tjovonovich is speaking of though. [/B]

Hey not to quote shaggy or anything, but it wasn't me who said that.

I'm just asking to be kept in the loop that's all. I played around with R2 last night, but I couldn't find any secrets and I didn't stumble onto anything new.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
This R2 is just way too COOL :cool: :cool: . It kinda made my day after watching all the 9/11 stuff this morning on T.V. And as JEDIpartnr posted.....yea, it did tick off my wife since she was trying to sleep :eek: :eek: but she did buy it for me. :sur: :sur: If you do have the $$$ to get one ...buy it. I'll post in a day or so after I figure out all the voice commands.
P.S.
No, It Can't Make Beer Runs.....I Tried That Aready Sorry......... :frus: :frus: No beer runs?!?!??!? hot dangit!!! well, there goes my incentive to buy it!!!! Unless it can do some of my homework and stuff. Or like "hey, R2, go wash the dishes" but that would probably fry him....i dunno, i mean, he did survive the Dagobah swamp..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (mike ponders yet again)

Darth VW
09-12-2002, 04:29 PM
try whistling at him, and he will respond.

Mace Windex
09-12-2002, 11:24 PM
If you post a scan of the receipt where R2 is only $75 most other stores should honor the deal. This is how I got my Jango 12 inch on sale.

Dave
PS, can someone post pics??