PDA

View Full Version : Strange things happening at Target

Turbowars
09-10-2002, 07:07 PM
One of the Targets I stop at in Lancaster CA has had a very bad problem with people returning Star Wars toys with missing parts and or figures replaced with a different charactors. Today I found an Endor set with all the helmets missing, a Hoth set with missing 02 mask and the trooper was replaced with the deluxe Hoth figure from (97?) The most noticeable fake was a 12" Super battle droid was replaced with an EP1 Battle droid. The list goes on and on , but you get the point. All the packaging was opened with a blade. They cut between the 2 plies of card board. I looked around to tell someone, but not one target employee looked like they would care. I put myself in their shoes and you know what, I wouldn't care either If I made 7 bucks an hour.

Sinister Lord
09-10-2002, 07:37 PM
Very sad... my local K-Mart has a similar problem. What usually happens is that the 12" figure's clothing is replaced with something else. It's obvious people buy the toy to get one thing in particular and then replace it with something else before returning it to the store. The employees are so clueless they don't even notice the problem.

Hellboy
09-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Man this just stokes my fire :frus:
Thieves, every last one of them.
This is why return policies have become so strict as of late and why we pay more than we should for certain items. :mad:

Teeska Mon Eebon
09-10-2002, 08:59 PM
What's worse is here at our walmart we even have empty boxes that Walmart employees stapled back together and put back on the shelve...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2002, 09:22 PM
by strange things i thought you meant target actually having GOOD stuff for once...drat!!! got my hopes up and stuff too!!

Sinister Lord
09-10-2002, 09:23 PM
I've seen some really pathetic stuff at K-Mart. One time I saw a brand new 12" GI Joe set in which the figure had been removed from the set and replaced with a cheap Ken doll and some really crappy looking uniform set. Another time I saw a 12" Jedi Luke in which Luke was dressed in cheap army fatigues. That one really made me mad because it was so obviously the wrong clothing for Luke Skywalker, I mean have the employees never seen a Star Wars film? How could they be so clueless to not recognise that Luke doesn't belong in a US Army uniform?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-11-2002, 12:35 AM
I remember seeing a couple of preview figures earlier this year with POTJ Zuttons and Black Queen Amidala's earlier at Wal-Mart.

I also remember seeing at a different Wal-Mart a 12 inch Lando that was obviously removed from the box, his clothes were taken and replaced with a totally different set. (I can't recall which version it was supposed to be, I don't collect the 12 inch figures). It sat on the clearance shelf for a long time, even when it was marked down to $5.00.

Jayspawn
09-11-2002, 01:56 AM
I hate it when this happens. I've made it a point to make a scene if I ever see anybody who is returning this 'junk' in the customer service lines.

Jedi Master Silas
09-11-2002, 04:05 AM
Here at our Target in Wva we haver an employee problem. It's called the employees hide all the exclusives until they go on clearance and buy them cheap then selling them to the scummy scalpers or buy them all and jack up the prices to collectors. Folks at Target dont seem to care at all.

Prince Xizor
09-11-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Here at our Target in Wva we haver an employee problem. It's called the employees hide all the exclusives until they go on clearance and buy them cheap then selling them to the scummy scalpers or buy them all and jack up the prices to collectors. Folks at Target dont seem to care at all.

That happens at my Target as well. I had a long conversation with a guy who now works at KB, and used to work at Target and he told me that the employees in Tagrets are a bunch of scalpers. They hold onto all the rares and exclusives in the back, then buy them all when their shift is over. Bunch of A**holes.

Sinister Lord
09-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Hold on a second, an employee putting something on hold for themself does not make them a scalper. This is something that employees are entitled to do so they can make purcheses without it interfering with their job. There is nothing wrong with that. Scalpers are the guys who buy everything off the shelf, leaving nothing left for anyone else, in order to sell items on e-Bay for a profit... that's a scalper. I think there is an important distinction between these two things.

mrmiller
09-11-2002, 11:03 AM
I remember about a year ago, sometime around Christmass, TRU finially marked down the Royal Starship. They had 4 or 5 of them on the top shelf for quite a while now. Once the price droped to $40 or $50 I decided I'd pick one up. I really don't collect ships, but wanted the red R2 unit. Well, I got help from an employee to get one down, and the R2 unit was blue. I was like, wait a minuite... This is a regular R2-D2. So I had him get the other ones down, and they all had the R2D2 in them instead of the Red R2 Unit. I was P!$$ed. What a load of crap. I bet some thief bought all of them, took them home, switched out the R2's, and then returned them. Of course a quick search on E-bay showed many red R2 units for sell, and when I searched the sellers other items, and past history of items, no Royal Starships. I found multiple sellers, selling multiple Red R2's, and I bet all those scumbag thieves did the same thing. What sorry excuse for a human being. Scalpers are bad, but these jack@$$'s are the scum of the earth. Needles to say, I wasn't buying anything from them, and this last summer I went to a show where a guy was selling his entire ship loose for $60. he was cool enough to just let me buy the R2 ( for $30- ouch), but I didn't mind since I knew it was legit.

=MATT=

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2002, 11:05 AM
ah, c'mon Xizor, that's a pretty poor comment. I used to work at a Kroger and my boss would let me rummage through the SW figures before we through them on the shelf. Granted, Kroger only got in like 5 cases for TPM figures, but i agree with Sinister Lord. I bought them for my own pleasure and only 1 per figure, so at least another one was put on the shelf. Just because a person scores some stuff do to the location of their employment, doesn't make them a scalper. Now, had i bought the whole case and sold it for oodles of money on ebay, yeah, tar and feather me, thats' scalping, but don't make a general comment, a poor one at that.

allenj456
09-11-2002, 11:15 AM
blind, we have been...

Prince Xizor
09-11-2002, 03:51 PM
It is not a poor comment. I was not talking about just one or two packages. I am talking about EVERYTHING they got in. They would literally take cases off the trucks, hide them and then buy the whole thing afterwards. Thats Scalping dammit.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2002, 04:51 PM
(sigh) k, I was trying to be polite, but since you apparently don't know the term of scalping, lemme break this down for you. Our friends at dictionary.com state the following:

v. scalped, scalp·ing, scalps
v. tr.
1.To cut or tear the scalp from.
2.To deprive of top growth or a top layer: land scalped by strip miners.
3.To resell at a price higher than the established value: scalping tickets to the baseball game.
4.To buy and sell (securities or commodities) in order to make small quick profits.

Now, i don't know about hiding of stock and whatnot, that can be called wrong or just being schmucks, but scalping is when you sell something for HIGHER it's established value. So, what did we learn today class? We learned that even though hiding backstock and buying it later is wrong and sucky for collectors, it doesn't constitute as scalping unless you sell them at higher it's value, and since that wasn't stated, it's not scalping.

Lord Malakite
09-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Now, i don't know about hiding of stock and whatnot, that can be called wrong or just being schmucks, but scalping is when you sell something for HIGHER it's established value. So, what did we learn today class? We learned that even though hiding backstock and buying it later is wrong and sucky for collectors, it doesn't constitute as scalping unless you sell them at higher it's value, and since that wasn't stated, it's not scalping.

Well, usually when someone hides a whole case of new figures to buy them later that night, unless they are army builders, the prime motive is to make a quick buck by selling them for a higher price on ebay, etc., hence scalping.

Sidiously Darth
09-11-2002, 05:48 PM
I've been on these boards for a few years now, back before the big forum update when some of us were stuck at 0 posts forever, and scalping has always been a hot topic... ha ha ha!

If I had a nickle for every time that word was used, I'd be able to buy a Sacul off ebay. Granted, I would probably just keep the money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing your comments. I've been against scalping for a long time. I've finally come to the realization that the toys will be there, if you just give it time.:)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Lord Malakite- There is a possibly that they are selling them for higher prices, but what was stated by Xizor was that they just hide them for themselves. He didn't say a word about selling them for higher value. I'm just going on what was stated, not on what was implied.

Sinister Lord
09-11-2002, 06:19 PM
I agree... I don't think it's fair to assume Target employees are scalpers just because a few employees may have set some stuff aside for themselves to buy. There are legitimate collectors out there (who may be Target employees) who do indeed buy an entire case of figures... assuming that they bought it for the purpose of profit is a big assumption.

Turbowars
09-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Hey Guys lets talk about somthing else, not scalping. I think we have beaten that issue to death;). I went back to the same Target today and all the figures I mentioned weren't there, but they did have 2 Dooku's. I don't like the idea of employee's hiding figures, either if they are for themself or not. That just means it's harder for me to find SW figures. I have had many problems with Target employee's and I have not one good thought in my head about them. I should just say the toy employee's. I have never been asked if I needed help and when I ask they have no clue.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Sorry TW, my apologies. the last comment i made i planned on being my last one about the issue. sorry! :D

at my local Targets, the haven't gotten anything remotely new in months, so i don't have problems with them. lol however, one night when the figures just about to hit the shelves my fellow collector friend dave and i went hunting and asked the lady if they knew how many boxes of star wars figures they had gotten in and she had no clue what star wars was. I nearly wet myself i was laughing so hard.

Prince Xizor
09-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite

Well, usually when someone hides a whole case of new figures to buy them later that night, unless they are army builders, the prime motive is to make a quick buck by selling them for a higher price on ebay, etc., hence scalping.

Thats exactly what I meant. I didn't say because I thought it was pretty obvious that if somebody bought a whole case they were going to scalp it. I guess not....

AdmiralPiett
09-11-2002, 10:25 PM
I think employees should make all inventory in the backroom available to the public before they just horde it all for themselves (especially if they're on the clock while putting it aside). I know that many retailers, especially Wal-Mart, severely punish employees that engage in this practice.
Piett

Turbowars
09-12-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Sorry TW, my apologies. the last comment i made i planned on being my last one about the issue. sorry! :D

Hey, no need to apologize. I wasn't mad about it, sorry if it sounded that way;) There just doesn't seem to be away around scalping. It's just something we all have to deal with, although it doesn't seem as bad as it was in the 90's.

Turbowars
09-14-2002, 02:37 PM
Ok things just got stranger.I went back to the same target and all the figures I mentioned on the 1st post, are back. It seems someone called attention to them and were probably pulled off the shelf, but then put right back out. Target employee's just don't care.

tagmac
09-14-2002, 02:48 PM
I remember a time when Target had signs posted in the toy aisles that said "employees will not go in back to look for specific items" and "only one of each character per customer." Haven't seen that in a long time, but it makes me wonder how much easier it was to hoard the stuff in the stockrooms back then.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-14-2002, 03:11 PM
yeah, i remember those signs. I remember i was asking an employee a question about simpson figures, like when they got some figures in (they were new) and she immediatley bit my head off. I wasl ike "yeah, i don't remember asking you to go in the back" gotta love that!! Biting the hand that feeds you.

OC47150
09-16-2002, 02:05 PM
I notice this problem more at TRU than other stores. In the past, I've handed the package to the clerk or manager but the last time I did it, it was like who cares? I haven't done it since, yet I haven't came across the problem in a while.

It is sad.