PDA

View Full Version : New York Daily Lottery (the irony)

Lord Malakite
09-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Get this, the winning numbers for today, 9/11/02, was 9-1-1.

Nexu
09-11-2002, 08:50 PM
I wonder how many people won.

hango fett
09-11-2002, 08:57 PM
oooohh...that's like the mother of all irony! i wouldn't want to win it! probably bring me bad luck or something.
h

Darth Vellner
09-11-2002, 08:58 PM
I just heard that on fox news also

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Wow. What incredible irony.

But it is not the first time this has happened. I recall dates on Halloween when the Daily Number was 6 6 6. So it has happened before.

Makes you kind of wonder?

Exhaust Port
09-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Now were those the order that numbers were drawn or did they come out in a different order to be later reordered to fit the day?

Pendo
09-12-2002, 11:02 AM
I think all lotterys are rigged. Very ironic. You'd feel guilty if you won it.

PENDO!

hango fett
09-12-2002, 11:24 AM
yeah...i'd give the ticket back and say, "go give it to someone else. it's bad luck man!"
h

Lord Malakite
09-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Now were those the order that numbers were drawn or did they come out in a different order to be later reordered to fit the day?

Thats the order they were drawn.

Jedi Drew
09-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Sounds like an "Urban Myth" to me. I haven't seen ANYTHING on CNN or other news stations about this?????? :confused: :confused: Maybe this is just like the guy that was on top of the WTC and took the picture as the planes slamed in....FAKE!!!!!!

MikeAndTheBots
09-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Could have been rigged. I went to bed early last night so I didn't wacth the news to see the lottery results (I don't look for them but I usually see them).

hango fett
09-12-2002, 02:28 PM
it's on CNN.com. i just checked. just leating you know, jedi drew.
h

Jedi Drew
09-12-2002, 05:46 PM
I just seen the story on ABC news. Wow is that weird?????

Nexu
09-12-2002, 07:53 PM
I'm sure it was rigged.

Lman316
09-13-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Nexu
I'm sure it was rigged.

They (spokepeople from the Lottery), say it wasn't. They said that the numbers were drawn in the same fashion that every other is drawn.
However, my local NY news brought up another coincidence. I can't remember the number (which is probably bad of me), but they drew that number of a plane that crashed in that day...
So, things like that can happen...

End.

Emperor Howdy
09-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Rigged. If it wasn't, than that's beyond coincidence. That's like spooky-alternate dimension-Divine Intervention-crystal ball-voodoo doll-Miss Cleo kinda wierd.

Nexu
09-13-2002, 06:10 AM
Yeah, it's the spooky-alternate dimension-Divine Intervention-crystal ball-voodoo doll-Miss Cleo kinda bulls***. They said that it was drawn just like the other auctions. OK, that doesn't tell me the others were rigged too. :) All they have to do is weight the balls that they don't want to come out, and they don't.

I don't know, I'm just a skeptic. ;) :D

Darth Cruel
09-14-2002, 04:00 AM
Come on now everyone. Coincidences like this happen every day. Most just don't make the news because only a limited number of people see them. I remember earlier this year I heard a lot of people screaming about the Superbowl having been fixed because the Patriots overcame insurmountable odds (including trouncing my Steelers) to win it at a time that patriotism was a hot topic. And then they came back and trounced them even WORSE to place an exclamation mark on it! Think about how many times you say to yourself "THAT is a coincidence", but you are the only one who notices it. No mystic forces at work, and probably (not absolutely, but probably) no dastardly deeds being perpetrated either. Just a simple happenstance. Things do happen against the odds, infrequently, but occasionally.

TylerD
09-14-2002, 05:05 AM
My grandmother told me about this on the phone today. She said she saw it on CNN, and that a lot of people probably played those three numbers...

Exhaust Port
09-14-2002, 08:05 AM
With the odds of those numbers being drawn being only 1:1000, it isn't that amazing.

JediCole
09-14-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
With the odds of those numbers being drawn being only 1:1000, it isn't that amazing.

Thank you, Exhaust Port. Though you beat me to the punch on this one, you are quite right. With a mere three numbers in the mix, the chances of 9-1-1 occuring on 9/11 are better than average. It is ironic to be sure, but the necessity of people to ascribe this coincidence to a "fix" is rather sad.

Irony, and coincedence, only have a level of significance that we as people ascribe to them. Had the winning numbers on June 5 been 6-0-5 no one would have noticed, or at least the "irony" would never have been worthy of the national news. But does that mean that such a seeming coincidence must have been part of some conspiracy? 1:1000 may seem like long odds, but in things like random selection of numbers, it's not that great a coincidence. With the exceptions of dates in late October through December, the chances of any given set of three numbers matching the date they occur are, you guessed it, 1:1000!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Nexu
I wonder how many people won.

For the record, 5,631 New Yorkers won on those numbers Wednesday. The paper said that so many people wanted to play those numbers that the combination of those numbers 9-1-1 was sold out by the evening before.

Winners won $500 each for a straight play of the numbers or $80 for a box combination.