PDA

View Full Version : how hardcore of a collector are you?

Dferguson
10-25-2001, 06:18 AM
how hardcore of a collector are you?

do you call the Toy Stores like TRU wal-mart everyday to see if they got a new shipment of figures in are the ones your looking for?

or do you visit the store every week or so to see if they got any new stuff?

evenflow
10-25-2001, 07:49 AM
I think most of us here are hardcore fans.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-25-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
I think most of us here are hardcore fans.

Yeah, I have to agree. Even though I have the newest two waves with Shmi and X-Wing Luke, I still cruise by the stores periodically to see what they have going on. I kind of draw the line at ordering from on-line stores to get the figures before everyone else does. I'd rather hunt them down in the stores and pay less.

JEDIpartner
10-25-2001, 10:55 AM
I usually only resort to the on-line places when I have totally exhausted my resources here.

I am not a "collect every figure" person... I collect the ones I really like... and that's about 3/4 of everything that's come out in the POTJ line and 90% of the TPM line. I also have about 85% of the vintage from their original releases.

Richuar
10-25-2001, 11:45 AM
Well I don't want to claim to be any more hardcore than anyone else on this board I'm sure I'm just one of many people who have to have one of everything Hasbro release including variants, but here in the UK Hasbro don't know we collectors exist! Everything I buy is imported from the USA. I'd love to have the option of wandering over to Walmart or TRU and browsing for figures at low low prices! Instesd I fall on the mercy of importers all too eager to charge me 75 pounds for a Y-wing. Thats over a $100 ! ( In the end I got one for 40). I'm either really hardcore or a complete idiot, take your choice!

Jargo
10-25-2001, 01:28 PM
I collect everything I deem to be of value as far as sculpting and detail goes. I didn't collect the episode one deluxe figures because i deemed them to be poo.
Being from the UK too, I have to disagree with Richuar. It isn't impossible to find stuff at bargain prices. I'm not so much of a fan that I must rush out and seek the moment a figure is released. I wait patiently and cruise through online stores, I visit local stores and I bargain hunt and price compare. I buy one from one store and another from a different store depending on the price in each. The cheapest is my goal as I collect multiples of figures to make armies. I managed to find a Fambaa for just 50 when all and sundry were asking 80 - 150. I have all the exclusive figures simply because I'm a hunter. I like to weasel them out. Nothing is hard to find in my opinion exept that damn Tauntaun with han. I found it plenty of times but won't pay the ridiculous prices asked.
I suppose the next question is are you so much of a collector that you don't mind paying the price whatever that might be? If that's the question then I preclude myself, I'll buy anything I want if the price is reasonable. Once it reaches the silly point I just walk on by. No toys are worth going into debt for.

Richuar
10-25-2001, 01:53 PM
Oh yeh I know it's not impossible to find bargains in the UK,actually I got Han and his Taun Taun for a reasonable price (sorry to sneak that in!). I wait patiently for stuff too, remember when POTJ figures first arrived and most shops wanted 10 to 12 pounds each for them, I waited and searched and got them for 6 each, which I thought was much more like it. So it's all there for the patient collector. But sometimes I can't help myself and I should know better, I design collectable models for a living! I know how the industry works, and how often a rare piece is produced in the tens of thousands and warehoused just waiting to be sprung on a dismayed collecting fanbase.No names but one of the companies I work for really p****d off a lot of people with that trick!.
I suppose sometimes I just get envious of American collectors and annoyed by some of the UK scalpers!

Lobito
10-25-2001, 02:06 PM
For me it works like this:

Every time something new arrives to the Store i go (Space Gallery), they email me and Voila!!

No need to go to WalMart...or other toy stores...:D

sith_killer_99
10-25-2001, 04:52 PM
Well, back in my rookie days, I would hunt all the stores in my area almost every day.:eek:

Then I started to notice a trend, I discovered what days which stores got new stuff. After that I would go to the respective store on the day of delivery.

I have also learned how to spot shipping trends, somewhat.:rolleyes:

Til recently Wal-Mart had the best prices on new Star Wars figures. Whereas TRU got the HOT clearance figures at the best prices. KB was next for big clearance sale prices.

When POTJ figs first hit I found the Darth Maul (Final Duel) at Software ETC for $12.99 EACH! I was so insulted that I have FOREVER boycotted Software ETC.:mad:

Anyway, I do have a vague price cap on figures. I will probably never own a FF Sandtrooper or Weequay.:(

Generally speaking I hate to pay $10.00+ for any figure. I have only made a few exceptions.

For the most part I trade for all of the HTF items with my lucky finds/deals! I once spent almost 2 months trading Clean Scout Troopers form a Wal-Mart that MASS ordered that wave. I always left plenty on the pegs for other collectors (at least as many as I bought), and I would never take the last one. Somehow I managed to snag over 2 dozen in 2 months time.:D

I have also bought a few small collections from ebay. My best score was a lot of FF, Green Card, and Orange carded figs. Over 80 figs price worked out to $4.00 each. The collection had several Coll. 3 FF!;) Including R/H Vader, Zuckuss and Captain Piett!

I love to trade internationally, I have traded with people in at least 6 different countries. I love foreign card variations.

So, I don't know if you would call that HARD CORE or just average?!?! But that's my style.:D

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-25-2001, 06:35 PM
i'm a once a weeker(?)...i think...

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-25-2001, 06:38 PM
we have every figure of TPM made...i mean the 3 3/4 inches and the mega actions...and the mail in mace windu....adn the deluxes...etc....

Starfig873
10-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Starfig...am...hardcore...me once have to knock stockboy out and use him fingers to open box! GAAA! That funny one story!
:D

Anyway, I try my hardest to collect *and have come out successful for the most part* every figure. There really are not that many that I don't like in terms of sculpt, or accessorie-wise

jsb21
10-26-2001, 05:13 PM
I check the stores in my town in NC often, but it seems to be a struggle here lately with having only peg warmers to pick from!!

Dferguson
10-26-2001, 06:54 PM
Then I started to notice a trend, I discovered what days which stores got new stuff. After that I would go to the respective store on the day of delivery.

I have also learned how to spot shipping trends, somewhat >>>
>>
>>
can you tell me more on how to spot shipping trends and what days TRU and KB toys put out new stuff?
I would be interested to know as it would help my hunt for Figs

:)

Wolfwood319
10-27-2001, 01:00 PM
I'm not one who buys everything, but I get the stuff that looks cool, and stuff that goes with a scene or something of that nature. I tend to stay away from most of the EU figs.

I generally check about once a week or so, except when a new wave hits and I like most of the figures in the wave, I'll go 2-3 times a week, but then settle back into the once a week routine.

Sometimes though, I've found out at least in my area. The Wal-Marts and Targets in my area get figs in on different days of the week, then also, they don't always put them on the shelves the day they get them in too.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-27-2001, 10:25 PM
If you define the hardcore collector as the person who calls the toy/department stores everyday to see if shipments came in or as someone who camps out an hour before the store opens so they can get first crack at the new figs, then I am not.

I only go to the stores when I have money. I find it awful hard to go when I am broke, because I am tempted to run to the ATM if I find something, so I try not to go. I also go to the stores when I am in the area. There are only 2 stores in my city that stock POTJ, a Wal-Mart and a K-Mart. I usually will make a trip there twice a week, while the Targets, Toys R Us and better stocked Wal-Marts 20 miles away, I only visit maybe two or three times a month. The only bad news is that I usually go to these stores on the weekends, a day or two after new shipments came in, meaning others have picked through the figures and bought the best or new ones leaving the pegwarmers for me and others. :(

master jedi
10-28-2001, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Dferguson

do you call the Toy Stores like TRU wal-mart everyday to see if they got a new shipment of figures in are the ones your looking for?

or do you visit the store every week or so to see if they got any new stuff?

Under these conditions I'd say I'm not that hard core.
I don't define how hardcore a SW fan is by what they do to get toys.

jawa9
10-28-2001, 07:14 PM
I collect every 3.75" action figure that comes out now. I may decide to collect only the ones I really like when the new movie comes out because of lack of space. I have collected at least one of every 3.75" figure since the episode one preview line. Plus most of the freeze frame figures, all but one EU figure, all the Shadows of the Empire figures, Tatooine skiff, B-Wing Fighter. All cinema scenes except Escape from Death Star (can't find a good enough deal). I have only a few of the rarer 12" figures. I am looking for the new Deluxe figures though.:D

bigbarada
10-28-2001, 07:39 PM
I'm not nearly as hardcore of a collector as I used to be. In fact when it comes to new product I can only loosely be decribed as a collector at all. I only buy what strikes my fancy, or characters I've been waiting for for a long time. Thereby several gaping holes in my "collection." In fact recently the only figures I've seen to be worthy of me plunking down my money have been Duro, Luke X-Wing and DSE Han; everything else looks like crap.

My hardcore-ness these days is mainly focused on vintage stuff, and if $1000 per month isn't hardcore when it comes to vintage I don't know what is.:eek:

sith_killer_99
10-29-2001, 01:03 AM
Master Jedi, noone is defining how hardcore a "SW fan" is by what they do to get toys. The thread is on hardcore COLLECTING.;)

Big difference.

Bigbarada, $1,000 a month?!?!:eek:

I wish I had that kind of money to spend on my vintage collection. With that much money you must be building one heck of a MOMC vintage collection. Either that or you're going for the vintage ships as well.

With $1,000 a month I could complete my vintage collection in 2 months! I'm working on a mint/loose/complete set! As my funds are limited I have been buying a couple here and there.

I have only found 1 store out here that deals in vintage Star Wars.:rolleyes:

Luckily he has a lot of stuff, and most of it is in great shape.

Where do you get your vintage stuff?

bigbarada
10-29-2001, 09:05 AM
There is squat around here in terms of vintage toys, so I buy all of my stuff online. Usually Brian's Toys or ebay. BT's runs a little expensive, but they have an excellent trade policy.

sith_killer_99
10-29-2001, 04:42 PM
Ooops, you mentioned the evil one Darth Brian. He is both hated and feared in many circles around here.:eek:

Believe me, that name is never mentioned lightly.:(

I one saw a thread last for weeks just because he was mentioned.

But seriously, if you can afford it, then Brian's is the way to go. I'll bet it's a great way to build a solid collection, fast....if you have the money. I however, do not.

My collecting nature forces me to find the best deals on vintage figures. As long as they are mint.

However, my patients has paid off. I got a MINT POTF Han Solo Carbonite loose/complete for around $50-$60! Less than half book value!

I suggest checking trade communities and classified ads on-line. If you have the patients it can really pay off. Ebay gets a few good deals from time to time as well.

BTW, no offense with the Brian's Toys jokes, but some people around here truely loath him.

Don't worry though, I'll be more than happy to stick up for ya. :D

bigbarada
10-29-2001, 06:13 PM
Sometimes ebay does pay off, as right now I am high bidder on a vintage boxed Imperial Shuttle for $300!! The guy isn't a SW collector and needs the money so the price is good for him. Of course that's less than half of what a boxed Shuttle would cost me on BT's. I mainly use them for those frustratingly hard to find figures that I've lost patience with.

BTW, the $1000 a month has only been for the last two months where I've decided to just try to knock out a major portion of my collection. One more month of this and I need to take a break for a while.

Obi-Don
11-04-2001, 08:11 AM
Every time I go to a store I go straight to the toys in hopes of something new and I even check out the on-line stores but rarely buy from them. I not know if i'm hardcore but I do think I'm a little crazy about the hunt. Hey! we all need something to be crazy about,Don't we?

TeeEye7
11-06-2001, 07:05 AM
This is a perfect thread for another one of B-CJ's lists (or rankings) for SW collectors:

Hard Core - being the top rank and working your way down to the beginning.

I LOVE B-CJ's lists!:)

What are they Bel-Cam?:) Don't disappoint me!:(

Starfig873
11-10-2001, 03:46 PM
Ooh! I got another one!

I'm sooooo "hardcore" I tracked down one of those Sith Speeder Games! Thats right, that bloody thing came with a Darth Maul with...get this...SAND DECO! HA HA HA!

Eh, the games fun anyway :p

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2001, 02:01 PM
Howsabout these?

-Speculator/Scalper: You buy any, ur, I mean all, "rare" figures only to sell them.
-Dabbler: You buy only figures/items you like.
-Boomarang Addict: You buy a lot, then none, then some, then a lot, then none...
-Onefer/Oneto: You buy either "one for" me and one for my friend, or "one to" open and one to keep MIMP.
-In AFA (Action Figures Anonymous): Your name is _____, and you need help. ("Hi, [your name]..." )
-Hard Core: You own several time shares in the bed and bath sections of local stores.

:eek:

TeeEye7
11-12-2001, 07:00 AM
Way cool!

Put me down as a Dabbler with a pinch of Boomarang Addict: the perfect description of my buying habits!

Thanks, B-CJ. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed!:)

bigbarada
11-12-2001, 10:55 AM
I think Boomerang Addict pretty accurately describes me.

Fulit
11-12-2001, 11:28 AM
Things I have sold to buy Star Wars:

Blood/Plasma

An automatic shotgun, which was a Christmas gift.

VCR's

CD's/Videos

and I consider myself to be pretty hardcore in that I have drven over 400 miles for a single item.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2001, 03:24 PM
I, too, am at the Boomarang Addict level, currently in the "none" phase. :cry: Couple o' reasons for that; 1) much less time than before, and 2) much much less fundage than before.

GNT
11-14-2001, 12:46 AM

I'm a very Hardcore collecter ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2001, 06:51 PM
As a teacher, GNT, I'd give you no credit for that answer. You have given no details nor answered why. Sorry. :rolleyes: And "collector" is spelled incorrectly.

GNT
11-15-2001, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
As a teacher, GNT, I'd give you no credit for that answer. You have given no details nor answered why. Sorry. :rolleyes: And "collector" is spelled incorrectly.

Sorry about the spelling mistake :rolleyes: you seem to be doing a JT(spotting out errors). I buy what I like and thats that!I've got pretty much everything that I need at the moment!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2001, 07:19 PM
Actually, GNT, execpt for the items I don't have, I too have all the things I need! :rolleyes:

Am I "doing a JT" by pointing out things? No. Just "doing my job." (Whistles with hands in pockets as I walk away...)

Dark Knight
11-17-2001, 01:44 AM
I think I am a hardcore collecter. I go through Wal-mart, K-mart, and TRU at least twice a week.

Since '00 I have gotten over 300 moc, about 100 loose figures and ships. I have bought all of ep1 except the droid bonus packs, complete EU, most of the POTJ.

Hardcore I think so!:rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
11-17-2001, 08:59 PM
Once I was arrested for beating up a manager at a local Target. I asked him about some Star Wars merchandise and he said "We don't order that junk anymore!!!" So I had to kick his booty.

Then I got arrested for beating up a manager at Software ETC for pricing the new POTJ figures at.....can you believe it.....$12.99 EACH!!!

Then I frightened a small child when I yelled at a SCALPER for loading up his cart with HTF figures at TRU!

Hard core? I think so!:D

GNT
11-17-2001, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Hard core? I think so!:D

more like a criminal on the loose or my pet cat on a Star Wars knock over spree! ;) :D

Wolfwood319
11-17-2001, 11:49 PM
HTF at TRU....

hahahahaha

Seriously though, let's try not to forget the real problem here...Vapor lock. It's the number 3 cause of car stalls.

stillakid
11-18-2001, 02:08 AM
If getting all the figures, vehicles, and playsets is hardcore, then I guess I'm in. I open everything, though, so I'm not sure I'm considered a, ahem, "collector." I don't get the 12" stuff (except the Speederbike cause it's cool) but I do have a couple of expensive Don Post masks. I have most of the vintage items and figures but have other financial priorities at the moment.

I used to hit the retail stores several times a week, but frustration and lack of time made me stop. I joined the One of Every Figure Club online and the figures come to me. No more stress. They're a little more expensive than retail, but the gas I was using trying to hit Walmart, and different Targets more than make it worth it.

nonfatnonfat
12-17-2001, 04:13 PM
Work, family, friends......These are all things that get into the way of my Star Wars collection. If I didn't have to waste time dealing with them, my collection would be complete. I believe I am a true hardcore collector.

Rollo Tomassi
12-17-2001, 05:52 PM
I am definitely a onfer/oneto and a reformed hardcore. i used to check every day before the drought (the end of Episode 1 and the PoTF commtechs). But now I just go every once in awhile and have even resorted to buying cases online in order to assure I get three of every figure (one to open, one to keep closed and one for a friend in CA) I try to get at least one of every vehicle and if I have the funds, multiples. (right now, I'm not having luck with those damn exclusives...) I used to keep the first one closed (vehicles AND figures) and I wouldn't DREAM of altering figures permanently, but one day I was sitting there staring at my Rebel Pilot Cinema Scene and I realized that those figures were doing no good in the box, so I opened it. Then I opened my Watto's Box. pretty soon, I was cutting open Plo Koon's and Saesee Tiins robes and opening up the first figure I would find, hoping, but not caring like I used to, that I would find a second to keep in it's packaging. Life's too short to stare at a toy in a box...

sith_killer_99
12-17-2001, 10:28 PM
I'm with you Rollo, sort of.:(

I open ALL of my ships.:)

I do try SOOOO hard to buy 1 to open and 1 to keep carded.:rolleyes:

I have mixed feelings about finding non-mint carded figures.:confused:

I like to open them but I have to hunt for the MINT one later.;)

Emperor Howdy
12-17-2001, 11:58 PM
......well........let's just say I've left MANY 'a children crying and sprawled out on the floor!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: BOOHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA.......:evil: :evil: ......errr.....wait.....is this on?

Obi-Don
12-20-2001, 08:38 AM
Life is to short to look at a toy in the box.I don't have enough money to but more tham one and they are just for me. So I open them all and enjoy. :)

SithDroid
01-11-2002, 05:53 PM
I try to collect as much as I can. I don't have a lot of the 12" figures because they can be a little expensive. I would like to collect everything, but can't. I do, however, have most of the 3 3/4 inch figures (one I open and one I collect). It's mainly the hard to get ones from 1998 that I don't have and the last couple of waves of the Episode I line. Hasbro should at least let supply reach demand so some of us can get what we want at a fair price. My area of the US tends to see stuff way later than other areas. I wonder why that is? Is my state not as important? I try to find good deals on ebay, but sometimes you just can't find them and dealers are worse.

187-Maul
01-12-2002, 09:21 AM
well I'm not of a hardcore collector - I only buy the 3 3/4" and only the ones I like
I open all of them and like to hold them in the hands and just stare at them for a while cos there are so cool - the only problem is I can't buy everything I want cos here in europe the only chance to get them at a "normal price" is to order them

JetsAndHeels
01-15-2002, 12:48 PM
I usually hit my local TRU, Wal-Mart, and KB once a week, sometimes more. I frequent Target when I visit my parents who live out of town. To me, the thrill of the hunt is almost like a high.
When I see a new figure on the net or in a magazine, I get excited and at that moment I begin my quest.
I think I am pretty hardcore. I am only missing 2 figures from the entire EP1 line and I only lack a handful of the POTJ figures (of course this doesnt count the ones that have yet to be released).
Lets just say that I am running out of space in my room for all of my stuff and I think it is going to eventually be my reason for getting a new place with more room.
I guess that is hardcore. But hey, that is what I love.
:crazed:

OC47150
01-23-2002, 08:02 AM
My friends laugh at/with me because I have a specific route I check on a somewhat regular basis for new SW toys.

Depending on my finances, I check the big stores on Saturdays, and sometimes on other days, depending on reports from various reports. My area is generally slow in getting stuff and I can gauge pretty well as to when something's gonna hit my area.

Turbowars
01-27-2002, 11:20 AM
The meaning of hardcore for me has changed through the years. When I started in 95-97 I would go to Toys R Us, Kmart, Save-on and Target (which was and still is the best) in the mornings just about every day and thank God I did. At that time I found and bought two of each figure thinking I would have one for display and one to open. I did that for a few years, but it got expensive so I stopped. In that time I completed the Us Orange/Green/ FF collection. As I got older and found myself a real job the daily stop at the stores changed to two to three times a week. Now if I'm around a store I'll stop, but I won't make a special trip anymore. I rather find a my figures on the net. I currently collect only MOMC 3.75" and 12" and thier variations and errors. E-Bay is the best place for errors and variants if you don't mind the high$$$$$ All in all is a fun hobby that has kept me entertained. My only problem in convincing my wife to give up the guest room for my collection!