PDA

View Full Version : 12" Electronic Jango & Obi-Wan reviews (merged)

Jayspawn
09-11-2002, 01:12 AM
After seeing some good photos of the upcoming 12" Electronic Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jango Fett, I've come to a conclusion of my thoughts. Unimpressed. The Obi-Wan really set me off because it doesn't look at all like Ewan McGregor. Heck, it doesn't even look like Obi-Wan. Jango and Obi look cheap. Of course I'm sure they'll retail at $19.99. I don't know, maybe I'll have to see them on the shelf 1st. But for now I'll pass.

Any thoughts?

*See I was never wild about the 12" Electronic Qui-Gon or Darth Maul either.

N-2PF
09-11-2002, 05:21 AM
The good:
Electronic Emperor from the 2-pack
Electronic Vader
Electronic Boba Fett
Electronic C-3PO from EP-I
Electronic TC-14
Electronic R2-D2 from 2-pack

The bad:
Electronic Fighting Jar Jar
Electronic Dancing Jar Jar
Electronic Qui Gon
Electronic Maul
Electronic Obi Wan
Electronic Jango

The ugly:
Electronic Qui Gon Talking Bank
Electronic Maul Talking Bank
Electronic Obi Wan Talking Bank

Exhaust Port
09-11-2002, 12:13 PM
I more excited by the sculpts than the actual electronic talking part. I agree with your list N-2PF but those figures would be just as great and less expensive if they didn't come with the electronics. Ditch the gimmic and just give us great sculpts the first time around Hasbro.

mini-rock
09-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Vader, TC-14, EP1 C3PO, and Boba are the better 12" electronic figures. I wouldn't say the rest are junk, but just not as good IMO. I'll reserve judgement on Jango and Obi-Wan until I see them out of the package & in my hand. :)

Tycho
09-12-2002, 12:45 AM
OK, I got them both at K-mart tonight (SanDiego).

OBI-WAN is seriously sweet! These figures are so much fun!

Obi-Wan's Lightsaber LIGHTS UP and activates when you put it in his hand. In one of 3 types of sound modes you can put him in, it makes saber clash noises while you pose his arms with the lightsaber on, and it makes power up and power down sounds!

Moving the figure makes him make fight noises, like grunts and punch noises (Jango makes a head-butt growl!)

Obi-Wan also has a tangle-cable hidden in his sleeve (you cannot see it, it's so well hidden). It is clear and on clear line. When you attach the hook to Jango, you hit a button on Obi-Wan and it makes the Force pressure noise and it snaps back fast enought to drop Jango!

Jango has a removeable helmet, with nice padding inside similar to the Han/Luke KayBee exclusive Stormtrooper Disguise figures.
His rocket jets light up and when you have him in his Flight sound mode, moving him around makes various flight sounds like fly-by noises until you hold him still and it makes the power-down sound on his rocket pack. He has blaster sounds that can rapidly fire like Jango likes to, and launching his rocket causes another missle launch sound. (unfortunately there is no explosion sound to simulate he hit anything he fired at though).

Moving him and posing him makes him go through fight noises like punches with armor on, grunts, impact noises, etc.

These are so much fun to play with!!!

Finally they both say dialog.

IT IS NOT THE VOICES OF TEMURA MORRISON OR EWAN MCGREGGOR.

It is almost exclusively NOT lines from the movie.

Jango says:

"Don't move Jedi!"

"You can't stop me!"

"You will NOT defeat ME!"

"You will not survive!"

Obi-Wan says:

"May the Force be with you."

"Give up Bounty Hunter!"

"Give up Jango!"

"There is no escape!"

"You're no match for a Jedi!"

Obi-Wan's lightsaber blade is also removeable, and you can attach the hilt to his belt so he can wear it "holstered."

Jango's guns both holster. He comes with a grappling hook as well, but it is only tied to the hook and not to him. I doubt it would support his weight, and it is not movie accurate, though it can clip on his belt for storage, but I had to hide the rope around his rocket pack and keep it loosely tied to one of his arm's power cables to have the other end even attached to him. This part just doesn't compare to the 3 3/4" figure who's cable is actually useful.

Overall, they were a great purchase. Leagues beyond the Episode One 12" electronic figures.

I hope they do more figures like this - well Anakin and Dooku would be naturals. A Vader and Luke Jedi would work. Zam Wessel might be interesting. But 14" Vader basically accomplishes this and more, as did the KayBee exclusive Boba Fett. But these new figures of Obi-Wan and Jango have even more features!!!

$29.99 each (roughly 30 dollars each at retail. And well worth it!!!)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

mini-rock
09-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Great review Tycho. I'm guessing the head sculpts are good otherwise you would have mentioned it. I want these figures SOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!! :)

Tycho
09-12-2002, 01:10 AM
The head sculpts are OK... Obi-Wan looks too much like his flipping deluxe figure. I don't like that take on him. I think the same guy sculpted this, or they just blew the mold up at bit.

Jango's head is cool, but sort of small when he's helmet-less. The helmet (when on) wants to turn independently of the head, so you can do that if you don't care, but if you want him to see where he's going....

Jango is also too tall. When I got these, I first questioned whether Jango (who I opened first) was really part of the 12" line or not. It scared me how he was approaching 13" when he should be about 11" next to regular 12". Obi-Wan is right on scale with his regular counterpart, though the coloring on his tunic is better on the electronic figure.

They are HIGHLY poseable on the legs, turning, twisting bending at hips, knees, shins, and ankles.

Their arms are somewhat limited in pose. Obi-Wan CANNOT double-handle his lightsaber.

Obi-Wan does not come with a Jedi Cloak to make this movie scene totally accurate.

THEY ARE STILL TOTALLY WORTH IT!

I'm having trouble typing because I'm still playing with them!

"There's no escape Jango!"

"You're no match for me, Jedi!"

"The Force is my ally!"

"How'd you like a rocket up your..."

"POW!" "PUNCH!" "Boof!" Ugggh! Ouch! "ZZZzzaap!" Blam!Blam! BLAM!

mini-rock
09-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Just got my email for shipment! WHOOHOO!! :D

Just thought you guy's would like to know they are in stock now. :)

mini-rock
09-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey guy's. Amazon has these in stock now as well. :)

JediTricks
09-12-2002, 06:22 PM
How does the lightsaber light work, is it a light-pipe in the sleeve hole or is there a light in the saber handle and the plug is an electrical contact?

Tycho
09-12-2002, 07:43 PM
I'm not exactly sure how the lightsaber works.

Not understanding it, is half the fun! At first I thought it was "the Force!"

The blade seems to be a clear transparent plastic. And like I'd noted, you can remove it from the hilt and attach it to Obi-Wan's belt.

I can't tell if there is anything in the hilt, save for a plug-slot like how you plug cell phones into car rechargers. You plug that into Obi-Wan's hand when he holds his lightsaber. Put the blade in, and when you want it to activate, it lights up!

I don't know how they did that! But I like to think of it as Magic!

-and it lights up bright blue - so it looks really authentic, too!

Jayspawn
09-12-2002, 07:57 PM
The reviews so far seem like they're pretty good. But, the fact that they do NOT have lines from the movie and are NOT the voices of Morrison or McGregor really turns me off. 0% continuity really rubs me wrong.

Darth Cruel
09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Judging by the reviews...these seem to be interesting figures. I think I will pass on them, though as I am a perfectionist (yeah, I know...what the heck am I doing collectiong Hasbro toys if I am a perfectionist) so I do believe the limited arm articulation,wrong voices and non-movie dialogue would cause me great heartache.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-12-2002, 09:40 PM
I love it when they add in fake dialogue. I remember getting the Darth Maul commtech figures for Ep. 1 and he had all these lines!!! I remember scratching my head saying, "he had 2-3 lines in the movie. where did this all come from?"

I'll have to look for those electronic figures! I'll have to browse around and get some more pics of them. thanks again!!

derek
09-13-2002, 01:29 PM
there is no excuse for not having the actual actor's voices used for these toys. if they didn't have the necessary lines for the specific fight scenes they wanted the toys to portray, hasbro could of easily of had ewan and temurra record these lines, over the phone if necessary!:)

JediTricks
09-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Tycho, sounds like electricity, which is awesome. If it was just lightpiping, I'd pass, but electronic design is fantastic, I can't wait to get this. I'm a little concerned that the facial hair paint is once again totally substandard, but the light-up lightsaber means enough to me that I'll forgive that probably.

Darth Cruel
09-14-2002, 03:38 AM
I just saw some pics of Obi-Wan. He WOULD make a great base figure for a custom of Charlton Heston's Moses. I wish one of the lines was "LET MY PEOPLE GO! "

jedibear
09-14-2002, 11:57 PM
I saw these at K-Mart today myself....but at $30 each...I couldn't do it. But Tycho's right...they looked pretty cool....

derek
09-18-2002, 03:46 PM
here is a photo of the electronic and standard 12 inch jango fetts:

with helmets on:

derek
09-18-2002, 03:47 PM
and here is a side by side with the helmets off. the electronic jango sculpt is really good. it almost looks like the young clonetroopers.:)

Clowntrooper
09-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Give us an electric Max Rebo Band with real playing instruments, but no Obi or Boba electric things with stupid phrases.

derek
09-18-2002, 04:51 PM
i like the electronic jango fett. and i'm suprised, because after the electronic maul and qui-gon, i didn't expect much.

it's funy how hasbro makes the electronic heads the correct scale, but made jango's helmet bigger than the "ultimate jango" helmet.

i'd love it if hasbro made an electronic vader and luke like this.:)

Clowntrooper
09-18-2002, 05:10 PM
We just need one Jango who's got it all, not multiple different ones which each single one carrying one exclusive thing of the action for multiple resculpts like in the 4"-line.

mini-rock
09-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Mine should be arriving from Amazon (via UPS) here shortly. I hate the last couple hours of waiting. I don't know why I put myself through this hell. :frus:

derek
09-18-2002, 05:34 PM
jeditricks,

you were asking how the obi-wan saber lights up? well, there is a small plug on his sleeve where the saber plugs in. sounds goofy, but it works well. i really like this over those molded in hands saber old ben and vader had.:)

derek
09-18-2002, 05:35 PM
here is obi-wan "all lit up":)

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the pics derek, it doesn't look like an electrical connector, it looks like a shrouded light-pipe. Any idea on how it works?

If I had designed this, it'd be a plug in the cuff of the sleeve rather than on the side. I think that'd look better... oh my, I just got a fantastic idea, I think with a little work, we could make light-up sabers sewn into the fabric of the robes!! It could even work for either hand, it'd use wires that ran up from the slimline battery pack in the back of the robe to the end of the sleeve where it ended in a 2.5mm socket. The saber itself could have a powerful blue, red, or green LED and the bottom of this could be a corresponding 2.5mm plug hardwired in. That sounds like a good project, I wish I had the money to do it.

derek
09-18-2002, 10:11 PM
jeditricks,

my best guess as to how the obi-wan saber lights up is there's a wire that is inside his arm that runs from the outlet to the battery. it looks like the arm snaps together from 2 pieces, and the articulation is almost zero in regards to bending. there is a joint there, but it mostly just swivles, unlike the left arm, which can almost bend to a 90 degree angle.

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, that's basically what Tycho described but your pics make it look much different than what I envisioned. I guess I'll have to scrape up some dough and check this out m'self, I've always wanted good light-up sabers, not like that cornball "interacting" 2pack.

I'm still dreaming of making a jedi robe with this wiring system, it'd run on button cell batteries (see my thread about those in Gen Disc ;)) and have WAY more flexibility than any other electronic figure ever. The only part I haven't figured out is how to cram a bright LED into a 12" lightsaber accessory.

mini-rock
09-19-2002, 12:47 AM
I finally received my figures. UPS dropped them off about 6p.m. I was already opening the Amazon box (giggling like a little girl) before the UPS guy had me sign. Well, I have to say I really like these figures. I opened Jango first, and as I was taking him out of his box there wre all these grunts and bangs. Once I got him out I found the switch on the jetpack (right for combat/left for flight mode) and switched it to left. His rockets lit up so I started to run with him in the house. Next thing I knew I was outside in my frontyard, that was until my wife yelled at me. So I opened Obi-Wan next, he made the same grunts and bangs, and his beard looks more like camouflage than a beard. The light up saber is what makes this figure though. The voice on Jango is ok, but Obi-Wan sounds *** (And I do not mean that in a homosexual way) IMO. I really like how the you can adjust the boot on the ankle too so you could put either one of these in just about any position and they will stand. Overall I'm very happy with these figures, and think they are worth what they cost.

Mace Windex
09-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Jango looks cool in the pics. May be a better purchase option that the ultimate figure (which I already have). Obi looks weird though. But I'll have to wait for the clearance on those.

MAce

JEDIpartner
09-26-2002, 04:42 PM
The Jango looks pretty good... but all of the Obi-Wans... except for my repainted 12" version look terrible!!!

It's really funny how the Electronic Jango looks more like Temura Morrison than the Ultimate Jango Fett does!

mini-rock
09-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
It's really funny how the Electronic Jango looks more like Temura Morrison than the Ultimate Jango Fett does!

That is funny 'cause I was looking at them both last night and thought the same thing. I really do like that Electronic Jango. Last night I took him off the shelf to play with him a bit, and ended up outside (again), and had my neighbors rollin.:) :D

The True Maul
09-27-2002, 04:58 PM
They look cool can't wait to get mine!!:)

Darth Cruel
09-27-2002, 10:19 PM
JT - You have inspired me. Target sells a small flashlight in the Eddie Bauer section that is about the right size to customize into a 12" scale lightsaber. It has a battery that just might fit into the hollowed out hilt of a sith saber (as the LED in this light is red). I'm gonna check into this.

JediTricks
09-28-2002, 03:42 AM
DC, let us know how that goes. I haven't seen anything that small yet, so this wired cloak idea is still in the front of my mind, but I'd love to see something that small.

Turbowars
09-28-2002, 10:27 AM
I saw these at a collector store and they look like crap. I can't believe Tycho bought them, anyways they look like really bad mexican bootlegs. Bad, very bad:(

allenj456
10-03-2002, 02:08 PM
i too have played with both of these though Im very unimpressed. I collect all things Obi Wan- this might have to be passed over- I thought the likeness was terrible, the voice was hideous, and the fact that you cant touch them with out the toy making a mock boxing match sound just turned me off- This'll have to be like 10 dollars or less for me to buy.

K M Toydarian
10-03-2002, 03:27 PM
"...the fact that you cant touch them with out the toy making a mock boxing match sound just turned me off- This'll have to be like 10 dollars or less for me to buy"

Actually you can. There is a swirch on the back, (actually one of his utility pouches) that changes from Demo mode (in store), to fight mode with motion activated sounds, and another mode that will talk or light up when the button is pressed, but not make noises when you move it.
The voice bothers me, but the likeness is decent compared to the regular 12". Once I sarted to play with him I forgot the voice thing. The body, apart from a little less articulation than he should have is pretty good. He can't hold his saber with two hands, but when it lights up, it is amazing!
And the price isn't bad at 29.99, only 10 bucks more than a 12", for all the electronics you get. Past electronic 12" figures have been that much and more and only had voice chips
I was VERY dissapointed in EPI electronic 12" and didn't have much hope, but these are great!