PDA

View Full Version : Movie Tunes announcer in the theater.

scruffziller
09-12-2002, 11:38 AM
When you go to the theatre and you are waiting for the movie to start and there is usually the latest hip hop tune playing. When the song is over the same narrarator voice is always telling you about the song and "THEIR LATEST RELEASE!!!!!" The contrast of that hip hop tune to the flatness of the narrorator is hilarious because the narrorator is actually sounding excited about the album. IT'S FOONY!!!!!!!!!!:D

JediTricks
09-12-2002, 06:46 PM
Heh heh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

"That was Mad Killa Karl's newest single, 'Don't Make Me Cut You MuthaF***er!' from his debut album, which can also currently be heard in the film 'Swordfish 2: The Legend of L Ron's Gold'. Next up is the title track from Kenny G's current hit release..."

QLD
09-12-2002, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but he's no Mr Movie!

In a World.......

2-1B
09-13-2002, 12:40 AM
I'm still having nightmares from the numerous times I had to hear him intro "May the Circle be Unbroken" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. :D

Ahh, and when Cat Steven's boxset was on the way last year?
Yeah, that guy introducing "Wild World" is a bit of a contrast. I love Cat Stevens and I love that song, but when that guy did the intro, it didn't quite feel . . . right. :D

JediTricks
09-13-2002, 04:17 AM
My favorite movie tunes moment was when me and a buddy were sitting in a theater with a bunch of young-ish teenagers and the song playing is "Money" by Pink Floyd. At one point in the song, there's this classic lyric which somehow ALWAYS gets on the radio even though FCC regulations would obviously prohibit it:

Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullsh**
and it's not censored, just like always. Me and my friend think nothing of it because each of us has listened to that album a billion times, but these kids around us had never heard it and were SO amazed and titillated by the fact that they were saying a naughty word - it became this amazing topic of discussion for them even through the opening credits, you'd think they'd never heard the word before. I guess it's extra provocative because it's on Movie Tunes or something, but it made us laugh.

Eternal Padawan
09-13-2002, 09:51 AM
Ugh, our theatre just got bought out, so they started playing those crap CDs in our sound system. I hate em , hate em, hate em!

ROLLO!

JediTricks
09-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Which is worse, the slideshow of advertising on the screen or Movie Tunes? I'd say "movie tunes" if not for the fact that Coke's advertising is all over those slideshows to the point where it's just offensive.

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Only in "Coke" theatres. At National Amusements theatres it's Pepsi all over the slideshow, which means Britney Spears on every other slide... :rolleyes: :eek:

ROLLO!

Exhaust Port
09-14-2002, 09:02 AM
How about those lame Trivia questions? Or the even lamer (if that's a word) theater polls. "Clap if you think Battlefield Earth was a great movie!" Now after sitting through 15 minutes of those and advertisements we get another 5 minutes of commericials before the coming attractions. I think it junk like this that will slowly kill the movie theater. With movies being released on DVD <6 months after the theater release and Home Theaters becoming cheaper and cheaper (as well as better and better) why go to the theater anymore?

derek
09-14-2002, 09:54 AM
hey Rollo,

speaking of your theatre getting bought out, it wasn't by AMC was it? two theatres i've been to in the last few weeks are both now AMC theatres, and get this, their before 5 p.m. tickets went up $2 dollars! from $4 to $6!

JediTricks
09-14-2002, 04:05 PM
Pepsi or Coke, in the cinema they're interchangeable to me. Just a big corporate greed machine advertising at us in every square inch possible simply because we want to see a film.

The polls are totally ignored, but the trivia does seem to get folks interested when it's not totally brainless. Of course, when they get on a roll with the trivia, you KNOW the answer slide won't come up in time before the house lights go down. ;)

Most of the theaters in LA (Mann, AMC, Loewes) are now doing that thing where movies between 4 and 6 are "Twilite" price and a good deal, but before 4pm they're almost as much as regular tickets. I hate it, the cinemas are always empty on weekday afternoons because of it.

QLD
09-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Speaking of AMC (who's theatres I love), does anyone else hate the MOVIETICKET.com commercials, with the stupid family acting like commandos to get their movie tickets? I HATE IT!!!!

Exhaust Port
09-14-2002, 10:30 PM
I can't stand those Fandango ads.

scruffziller
09-17-2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Heh heh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

"That was Mad Killa Karl's newest single, 'Don't Make Me Cut You MuthaF***er!' from his debut album, which can also currently be heard in the film 'Swordfish 2: The Legend of L Ron's Gold'. Next up is the title track from Kenny G's current hit release..."

YEAH!!!!!!!:D

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
How about those lame Trivia questions? Or the even lamer (if that's a word) theater polls. "Clap if you think Battlefield Earth was a great movie!" Now after sitting through 15 minutes of those and advertisements we get another 5 minutes of commericials before the coming attractions. I think it junk like this that will slowly kill the movie theater. With movies being released on DVD <6 months after the theater release and Home Theaters becoming cheaper and cheaper (as well as better and better) why go to the theater anymore?

Dang I KNOW!!!

I mostly go to the "cheaper" theaters so the trivia questions NEVER CHANGE!!!!! "WHAT ACTOR PLAYED 2 GREEN CHARACTERS?" and "WHO IS JODIE FOSTER REPLACING IN PANIC ROOM?" over and over. The most entertaining part is when they get the slides in the advertisements upside down.:rolleyes:

scruffziller
03-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Yea the movie tunes guy is also similar to Ana Gastyer's charachter on "The Delicious Dish" on SNL, where she is trying in her own very suburban way to sound hip.:D

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 12:53 PM
The only song I can remember being played was that one Madonna did for the Die Another Day. For some reason I can't remember anything else they play before the movie starts.

Originally posted by JediTricks
At one point in the song, there's this classic lyric which somehow ALWAYS gets on the radio even though FCC regulations would obviously prohibit it:

and it's not censored, just like always.

The FCC wouldn't prohibit that I do not think. WEBN in Cincinnati never censors the songs they play. They'll censor what the dj's say sometimes, but never the music. Right now I can think of a few songs they let the f bomb play on the radio, like Everlast's What It's Like, Metallica's Fuel, and Godsmack's Whatever. The other rock station in Cincy censors their songs, but WEBN plays everything from the 70's rock to the current rock of today and never is a song bleeped. I'm not saying you're wrong with that FCC thing, but the station I listen to does it everyday, all day and night.

scruffziller
03-14-2003, 03:03 PM
I wonder how they are getting away with that.

It is funny because, Wal Mart is always playing songs that are not "family oriented.":D

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 06:59 PM
I have no idea scruffy. The station is very well known and owned by Clear Channel Communications. Ever since I started listening to them (1995) they never put a bleep on any song. It's not like it was a fluke, because they've been doing it forever. I remember hearing that Water's Edge song on there, and I thought it was weird to hear the f-bomb dropped on any radio listeners. I'm glad they don't censor it, but I always wondered why they could play it on the open airwaves.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 08:51 PM
I believe every FCC-disapproved swear word uttered on broadcast radio is a $5,000 fine and a strike against them... if they get reported, of course. Out here, every song has the swears blanked out - poor Nine Inch Nails' "Closer" is so badly swiss-cheesed that if they were bleeps instead of blanks it'd be an episode of The Osbournes. ;)

InsaneJediGirl
03-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Personally,the tunes dont bother me.I believe the theater near me is not owned by a big chain.Since its in a retirement community,they play big band.Not bad,but some songs will put you to sleep:D

The trivia is the worst though.I only saw two movies last year in the theater,and the trivia was the same.Think they could change it once in a while?:rolleyes::rolleyes: