to pay for all of their groceries. The friend helped
them and
walked out to their car with them. He thanked the guy
and said he
couldn't pay him back, but he could tell him this:
"Don't drink
any Coke products after Sept. 11th." Now, for
whatever that's
worth, or if it's another scare tactic, I don't know.
But it's
worth avoiding carbonated drinks for a while. It sure
shook the
guy up.

Janis

STAY away from COKE...DV

Beast
09-12-2002, 05:08 PM
Sounds like Pepsi is resorting to nasty tactics to try to get more drinkers. :evil: :D But seriously, it sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Just remeber all the stories we heard on Sepetember 11th last year that were false. So I would file this one under bullcrap. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
09-12-2002, 05:09 PM
I was sent this LAST YEAR :mad:!!! I think it is a total load of B:eek:LL:eek:CKS!!!

PENDO!

Adam
09-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Bah. Rusbish. Its just a chain letter. You may have got it from friends, who may have got it from relatives, but who did they get it from? And if this was true, do you think they would just email people they knew? No. They would most likely alert the authorities. I mean, how many people drink coke? A lot. So alerting people through a chain email is stupid. It couldn't possiby reach the amount of people it should. This will not in any way affect my massive consumption of Vanilla Coke. :crazed:

Adam
09-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
I was sent this LAST YEAR :mad:!!! I think it is a total load of B:eek:LL:eek:CKS!!!

PENDO!

And there we go. Now, back to my Vanilla Coke.......

The Overlord Returns
09-12-2002, 05:13 PM
sounds absolutely ridiculous........

Wouldn't this friend have the police knocking down the door of this couple he helped, seeing as they KNEW of this coke plot??

MikeAndTheBots
09-12-2002, 05:15 PM
By the time the stuff that is "supposedly" altered gets to the people it'll be next year. Load of horse....poop....as JJB said, there were a ton of thigns like this last year like: "After I helped get a young arab co-worker's computer back online he said "Don't go to malls on Halloween" and I looked at him funny and said OK. The next week he didn't show up for work! This must be true!"

That stuff annoys me...

hango fett
09-12-2002, 05:27 PM
good thing i don't like coke. pepsi is the one for me! and it does sound like BS to me too. we had a 20 minute disscusion about it today in our biology class. bored be to death.
h

Beast
09-12-2002, 05:33 PM
It annoys me more, because it paints a racist picture, that anyone of Middle Eastern decent is somehow involved in a grand conspiracy. It annoys me just as much as those "Day the world changed forever" statements.

Since the world didn't change that day, just American's could no longer turn a blind eye to these exact same things that happen all the time, all over the world. Because it didn't happen to somebody else, it happened on American soil.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
09-12-2002, 05:35 PM
ah. good ol' america. gotta love our logic, don't ya!
h
ps. i will change my sig to make you happy, JJB.

LTBasker
09-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Actually I heard the exact same story from someone who said their friend told it to them except it was "don't drink Coke after August 2nd." :rolleyes:

Sad, sad, sad.

THE Slayer
09-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I also heard this story from a girl I work with, who also heard it from her sister in sprinfield.

SirSteve
09-12-2002, 07:15 PM
I heard it from my friends uncles cousins brothers friends sisters mothers doctor so it must be true!

Darth Vellner
09-12-2002, 07:22 PM
"I must of hit it close to the mark to get her all riled up like that"

I don't belive it (I don't drink coke anyway) I just thought it was post worthey...^and I think it is ^:D ^

hango fett
09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
well, one of the girls in the bio class said she heard it from her mom's sister's freinds cashier at a wal-mart! what a tangled web...
1800 post, i belive.
h

master jedi
09-12-2002, 10:10 PM
my family and i were thinking of creative new ways terrorists could terrorize us is through coffee and/or colas and soft drinks. Coffee because a lot of it is imported and lots of people drink it. Cola because, again, lots of people drink it.

Another good one is water.

If coke will be contaminated then it's a good hting i'm a pepsi drinker.:)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-12-2002, 11:15 PM
From what I hear, terrorists can easily infiltrate our food and water supply because of a lack of oversight, testing, and protection.

They can easily slip into some domestic or foreign factory, sprinkle some substance in the air, and possibly contaminate food which could sicken thousands of people.

The same thing with our water supply. All it takes is someone to sneak into a reservoir or a lake or some source of water and release a deadly poison or toxin inside of a small vial, into the water. It could kill thousands.

Scary thing to think of.

P.S. I emptied out my refrigerator of all Coke products. ( :

plasticfetish
09-12-2002, 11:22 PM
I've probably had 5 Cokes today already and I feel ju ..........

Master Goeweins
09-13-2002, 12:18 AM
There are so many things that would be easier and much faster getting to the public. But just to be safe don't let your kids drink Coke in the malls while opening manilla envelopes around anyone that is videotaping a store sign around Halloween.... I got a bad feeling about this.

Emperor Howdy
09-13-2002, 01:19 AM
OH MY GOD!!! Now it all makes sense!! The other day I poured myself a Coke when I noticed a tiny al-Qaida soldier swimming around in the glass, shaking his fist and yelling at me in some foreign language! I went ahead and drank it anyway, and thought nothing about ingesting the little man until NOW after reading this post!! :eek:

I'm scared, guys.....I'm really scared! :(

*NOTE*

The previous post was in no way intended to make light of the events of September 11th. I'm just amazed at how stupid people can and will be. You do know the sad thing about all of this, right? That the "Coke" and "mall" rumor (that I too remember last year) was started by an American. I mean, don't you just want to smack the p.i.s.s. out of these people!?! Do they think it's funny? Do they think an attempt to cause nation-wide paranoia is a joke? These little punks should be ashamed of themselves. Another example.....has anyone seen the fake WTC photo of the tourist posing for a picture while a jet is approaching behind him? I don't know about you, but I don't picture Osama with a laptop in a cave circulating this crap. No, I picture a chubby college brat with an I.C.P. t-shirt and PhotoShop laughing and high-fivin' his buddy. More importantly, though, I think it is a disrespectful slap in the face of the individuals directly effected by the tragedy, whether dead or alive. I can't wait until THEIR day of Judgement. Who ya gonna high-five then, boy? :mad:

robman71
09-13-2002, 11:18 AM
As with all Urban Legands this one starts with the inevitable "I heard this from a guy" or "A friend of mine". As Pendo said before I also received this email last year at this time. It is noting more than a quick attempt at scaring the unsuspecting public by some infantile mind. As it would be near impossible to trace the origins of this type of letter by the average Joe, the best thing to do with it is to drop it in the deleted items folder of your email and then forget about it. :happy:

TylerD
09-14-2002, 05:51 AM
This girl in my math class today told me that her brother in laws cousin was the lady at the supermarket, and that there was only one Arabian man who told a nice lady who gave him $2.00, that she should not drink PEPSI for the sake of her family. So as you can see, pure garbage.

Man In The Box
09-14-2002, 10:46 AM
there was a story almost EXACTLY like this except the date was august 29th.

but it had the smae basic story: Arab guy in grocery store has no money, good samaritans help, outside grocery store arab guy gives warning.

smurfvader
09-15-2002, 08:04 PM
I was waiting for someone to post this. when I first heard it the date was the 4th of July and surprisingly the story didn't mention anything about the man being of Middle Eastern descent. I knew it had to be an Urban Legend and if I waited long enough it would appear somewhere.
My favorite Urban Legend is still the one called "Humans lick too."

JIm

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-15-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by smurfvader
I was waiting for someone to post this. when I first heard it the date was the 4th of July and surprisingly the story didn't mention anything about the man being of Middle Eastern descent. I knew it had to be an Urban Legend and if I waited long enough it would appear somewhere.
My favorite Urban Legend is still the one called "Humans lick too."

Hmmm, never heard that one Smurf. Is it safe for me to ask you about it?

My fav urban legend is the quinnesential one. Mikey from the 'Life' cereal commericals and the pop rocks with coke.

Being a gameshow buff, I also have to go with the urban legend of Burt Reynolds appearance on the $25,000 Pyramid.

LTBasker
09-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TylerD
This girl in my math class today told me that her brother in laws cousin was the lady at the supermarket, and that there was only one Arabian man who told a nice lady who gave him $2.00, that she should not drink PEPSI for the sake of her family. So as you can see, pure garbage.

I dunno about that..I mean it was Pepsi, and after the whole Britney Spears and the new Pepsi Blue... :D

TylerD
09-16-2002, 01:23 AM
Hey LBC, ever heard the urban legend from The Newlywed Game? Something like this:

Bob Eubanks: Okay ladies. It's time for our 25 point bonus question. 'Where is the weirdest place that your husband had made whoopie with you?' You're first [insert woman's name].

Woman: Oh, I don't know...I guess....in the butt (she said the other word)

Now many fans of the show INSIST that this truly happened, but Bob Eubanks denies it everytime someone interviews him, since everyone always asks him about it.

As for the Humans can Lick Too story, it starts with a young girl and her dog. Every night, if the young girl would get scared, she would put her hand over the edge of her bed, and her trusty dog would give it a lick to reassure her. One night, she heard some strange noises. She put her hand over the edge of the bed, and she felt it being licked. She was instantly reassured and fell asleep.

The next morning, a policeman barged into her room. The girl looked around, and saw her dog all bloody in the corner. It had been stabbed. The policeman said, You are a very lucky girl. I am sorry to say this, but your whole family died last night. Even your dog. Then the girl said, "but my dog licked my hand...." The policeman pointed to a mirror in her room. On the mirror, someone had written in lipstick, "Humans Can Lick Too." Pretty freaky right?

Emperor Howdy
09-16-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Hmmm, never heard that one Smurf. Is it safe for me to ask you about it?

My fav urban legend is the quinnesential one. Mikey from the 'Life' cereal commericals and the pop rocks with coke.

Being a gameshow buff, I also have to go with the urban legend of Burt Reynolds appearance on the $25,000 Pyramid.

Never heard the Burt Reynolds one. What's that about?

You gotta love the famous "Rod Stewart (or Elton John, or Michael Stipe, or Alanis Morrisette-it constantly changes over time to updated celebs) passed out on stage. They pumped his (or her) stomach and recovered a gallon (sometimes it's two gallons, sometimes it's only a pint) of....

**WE INTERUPT THIS PROGRAM TO BRING YOU THIS SPECIAL REPORT**

TEENS ATTACKED BY SPIRIT AFTER CHANTING "BLOODY MARY" TEN TIMES IN A MIRROR

**WE NOW RETURN YOU TO OUR NORMAL BROADCAST NOW IN SESSION**

.......I mean, come on! If that's the case, I know a few individuals who should be in a coma!

Ba-doom-ba! :D

scruffziller
09-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Ahhhhhh..... The establishment of an urban legend!!!

smurfvader
09-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Hey LBC, ever heard the urban legend from The Newlywed Game? Something like this:

Bob Eubanks: Okay ladies. It's time for our 25 point bonus question. 'Where is the weirdest place that your husband had made whoopie with you?' You're first [insert woman's name].

Woman: Oh, I don't know...I guess....in the butt (she said the other word)

Now many fans of the show INSIST that this truly happened, but Bob Eubanks denies it everytime someone interviews him, since everyone always asks him about it.

I hate to tell you this, but it's not an urban Legend. Just about a month ago there was a tv show about outtakes from gameshows. Now I always heard him deny it too, but he actually showed the clip at the end of the show. Where the confusion lies is that I don't think it ever aired. But I saw it with my own eyes.

JIm

plasticfetish
09-16-2002, 05:15 PM
I saw that a while ago ... doesn't the husband actually say it?

TylerD
09-16-2002, 11:25 PM
I saw that a while ago ... doesn't the husband actually say it?

PF, you just proved my point that it IS an urban legend. What your comment dictates is that there are obviously different versions of the story that are circulating out there. Of course, it could have happened. But, then there are so many differentiations to the story such as: what word the woman said, who said the word, and if it aired on television, or even if it even ever happened. This is precisely what an urban legend is all about.

I didn't see the TV show in question (the one that said it WASN'T an urban legend), but I am sure that it could have been any situation. I am sure there were many words bleeped from the show (Not as much objectionable material was allowed on television back then). This may or may not be true, but the producer of the show could just have picked a random clip, with a woman having one of her words bleeped out. Then set up the situation described above, and played the clip. It's a long shot, but it could have happened. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Yes, that Newlywed clip is absolutley true. Roper from Ebert and Roper at the Movies wrote a book on Urban Legends and I remember browsing through the book and stumbling upon that one. Except that it isn't a legend, it is true.

The $25,000 Pyramid one involves Burt Reynolds and a female African-American contestant. The show was like Password, where contestants would try to get their partner to say a given word. For example, if the given word was "cellar" a contestant would say 'This is the area in your house where you store the wine, etc." Or if the clue was 'pop' the contestant could say "snap, crackle and _______) or if the word was carpet, you could say 'a rug.' The partner would then say "cellar" or "pop" or "carpet" based on the strength of the clues.

According to the legend, Burt Reynold was the guest star and he was paired with an African-American contestant. He was giving the clues and he had to try to get the woman to say the word 'deer.' So he said 'a doe' to which the woman replied 'knob.'

Then, according to the legend, Reynolds burst out laughing and couldn't stop. Since regular play was a timed game, the woman ran out of time because of the outburst, thus losing the game for her. Accordingly, she went on to sue the game and Reynolds for humiliation.

I also read about this in the Ropert book. There is no basis in fact for this. He did mention though that in an autobiography written by Jamie Farr of M*A*S*H* fame, that Jamie claimed something very similar to this happened to him although everyone seems to agree that is a total fabrication.

Another fav urban legend is the one involving Phil Collins and his ghostly song "In the Air Tonight."

TylerD
09-17-2002, 12:26 AM
Hey LBC, I have also heard about the urban legend regarding the African American woman. It was basically the same, except I heard that the woman was on Password, rather than $25,000 Pyramid. (Yes, I know that Password is a pre-cursor to the Pyramid)

scruffziller
09-17-2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Another fav urban legend is the one involving Phil Collins and his ghostly song "In the Air Tonight."

So the story about him going to jail and then personally inviting the killer to his concert to catch him was a fabrication too?

Originally posted by smurfvader

I hate to tell you this, but it's not an urban Legend. Just about a month ago there was a tv show about outtakes from gameshows. Now I always heard him deny it too, but he actually showed the clip at the end of the show. Where the confusion lies is that I don't think it ever aired. But I saw it with my own eyes.

JIm

Yea I saw it too!!!:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-17-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

So the story about him going to jail and then personally inviting the killer to his concert to catch him was a fabrication too?

Yes, it's funny how these urban legends grow to become more bizarre and bizarre. The song 'In the Air Tonight' is supposedly about Phil witnessing a murder and instead of turning in this person, he pointed him out at a concert while singing that song.

Eminem mentions it in his song 'Stan.'

Another urban legend I've heard that involves Phil Collins (poor guy) involves him and a supposedly intense hatred for Jews. This story has no basic in fact at all, and it has been haunting Collins, who is one of the nicest men in the music business, for years. No one knows how it started.

scruffziller
09-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Yeah why poor Phil Collins?? He is one of the greatest musicians of all time!!! Well I guess that goes to show you, popularity makes you a target for........everyting. People just jealous of success. And to think he wanted to remain ONLY the drummer for Genesis. wow.

2-1B
01-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I heard from a friend of mine that Phil Collins ghost-wrote The Passion of the Christ for his good friend Mel Gibson. :confused:

"I must of hit it close to the mark to get her all riled up like that"

I don't belive it (I don't drink coke anyway) I just thought it was post worthey...^and I think it is ^:D ^

You think email chains and spam are post worthy ? I hope that's what you got banned for. :jackrabbit: