PDA

View Full Version : New Line Moving Away from Snapper Case!!

Beast
09-12-2002, 06:48 PM
This is from the September 12, 2002 issue of Video Store Magazine. It's nice to see that New Line finally woke up, though it's suprising. After all Warner owns the Snapper Case and New Line, so thats why they have stuck to the outdated Crapper Snapper Cases for so long. Now if only Warner themselves would wake up. :p :)

New Line Moving Away from Snapper Case
Author: ENRIQUE RIVERO
erivero@advanstar.com
Posted: September 12, 2002

New Line Home Entertainment is joining the list of suppliers who have moved away from the DVD snapper cases.

New Line, a division of AOL Time Warner, is phasing out the cardboard cases in favor of the plastic keepcases known as Amarays, spokeswoman Amy Gorton said. The snappers are produced by Ivy Hill Corp., also an AOL Time Warner-owned company.

The transition should be complete sometime next year, when New Line will use a combination of Amarays and other packaging, such as the cardboard and plastic Digipaks for multi-disc special releases.

"Consumers sort of voice a preference for Amarays," Gorton said. "We’re doing what the consumers are asking for."

New Line will use snappers for some releases through the end of this year.

New Line has been packaging its infinifilm line in the plastic keepcases since the line’s debut early last year. It is also using the cases for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings and Blade II double disc sets, as well as for the recently released single disc Platinum Series edition of The Mack.

Upcoming titles to be packaged in the keepcases include Jason X and Jason Goes to Hell, she said.

Consumers are not likely to miss the snappers, say several DVD Web site operators, who applauded New Line’s move.

"Oh, great! Woo-hoo! You can quote me on that," commented Geoffrey Kleinman, editor of DVD Talk.

The list of his group’s complaints includes that the plastic catch holding the snapper closed tends to snag on the edges of the plastic cases sitting next to them in DVD libraries.

"Customers have voiced their displeasure [with snappers]," Kleinman said. "They don’t have the durability of an Amaray and you can’t replace them like Amarays."

Bill Hunt, editor of The Digital Bits, said he found the snappers "adequate," but noted that they were never favorites with DVD fans because they are easily crushed and scuffed.

Consumers, however, smile on the cardboard Digipaks, which Hunt said are more durable than the snappers. He said the news will be greeted “with some happiness by some people.”

"At least our readers have said ‘Ditch the snapper, we’d be much happier to see the keepcase take off," Hunt said.

Ron Epstein, co-owner and co-founder of the Home Theater Forum, noted that matters are made worse now that suppliers seal the snappers on three sides with adhesive security tape.

"You take them off the wrong way and you can scratch those cases very easily," he said.

He said he didn’t think any DVD collector would ever opt for a snapper over an Amaray case.

"True collectors are very concerned about preserving their DVDs and the last thing they want is to damage the cases," Epstein said. "DVD covers mean as much to the collector as the disc inside, in many cases."

Warner Home Video is the only major supplier that still uses the snappers, and consumers want the studio to switch to Amarays. Indeed, a petition on PetitionOnline.com urging Warner to do just that has garnered 1,436 signatures.

Warner representatives did not comment by press time.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
09-12-2002, 10:30 PM
What are snapper cases? From the description it sounds like what my sister's Miss Congeniality DVD is in, cause I know it's a pain in the button to open and less durable than all the other DVDs I have (except for my aunt's Harry Potter DVD set in the cardboard case, bleck).

Beast
09-12-2002, 10:51 PM
If you have any DVD's from Warner Bros., New Line, or a couple other companies associated with Warner Bros. you will recognize them immediatly. They are cheap cardboard, surrounding a cheap plastic case. This link explains a bit better. :)

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/viewpoints/fiveremotesandthetruth/2002/02_21.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Master Goeweins
09-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Fantastic I always hated those crappy snappy cases. It made me reconsider on some of the purchases in the first place, waiting to see if there would be a special release in a nicer case. It seemed that it was always a sign of a movie that wasn't good enough for the better cases.

2-1B
09-12-2002, 11:21 PM
They've been doing this for a little while already, at first I thought it was only for Infinifilm. But other titles like Blade II from their Platinum Series are also in the keep case.

Eternal Padawan and I were complaining about how Goldmember would look out of place next to the first two snapper cased movies . . . I tried to reassure myself with the "it's only Infinifilm" rationalization, but I'm destined for non-matching cases. :(

Don't get me wrong, I hate Snappers and wish they never even used them, but something bugs me about having 2 case styles in one movie series. :D Glad I don't have the Rush Hour movies ! :D

mini-rock
09-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Snapper cases never bothered me since all they are supposed to do is hold the DVD just like all other cases. My beef is with DVD's that come loose inside the cases and get scratched.

2-1B
09-13-2002, 12:47 AM
Well, I don't care for the cardboard aspect at all, but what REALLY bugs me is the difference in width between the 2 styles.
I like to store them alphabetically on my shelves . . .

And what's with those crazy thin clear plastic cases? You know, the kind they use on non-mainstream titles. Do those things have an industry name? :crazed:

JediTricks
09-13-2002, 03:02 AM
You know what I find amusing? AOL sends me and my neighbors TONS of keepcases with their stupid AOL 7.0 discs in 'em for free even though none of us ever use the discs... and this is the same company that owns New Line!!!

Beast
09-13-2002, 03:12 AM
Yeah I know JediTricks. And the stupid this is, that most people are gonna throw out those AOL discs that are packed in plastic keep cases. And people keep the DVD's that come in crappy cardboard snappers. Plastic goesn't break down very fast in the garbage, but atleast with snapper cases the cardboard would deterioate. :crazed: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-13-2002, 03:25 AM
JT, those AOL keep cases are AWESOME. :happy:

Of course, I throw the trash in the . . . trash :p but I keep the cases and they are so handy when I loan out a DVD that came in a fragile cardboard case (Sopranos, Simpsons, anything in a Snapper, etc.)

AOL moved away from the full size cases, now they use a shorter one. Those work just as well ! :)

Beast
09-13-2002, 03:30 AM
I keep mine for that exact same reason. But you think they would have the smarts to actually use the plastic cases on the movies. And the crapper snapper on the AOL discs that most of the time you neither want or need. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
09-13-2002, 08:33 AM
AOL has been sending me discs in little metal tins lately. I cringe at the amount of waste they produce from bombarding the free world with their software week after week. No wonder earnings are down.

If and when the Warner Bros come to their senses, I'll lament at the fact that my ever expanding DVD collection will always have those few misguided efforts at the beginning of the industry.

ROLLO!

Pendo
09-13-2002, 10:10 AM
I'm glad that snapper cases are finaly fading out. New Line didn't really use snappers in the UK, but Warner Bros is big for it :(. I hope they'll get out of it soon too :).

I get sent loads of keep cases from AOL too :D, but I just throw them in the bin, I have no reason to keep them. But I don't see how AOL can send us keep cases and all Warner can give us is stupid snappers :mad:.

PENDO!

JediTricks
09-13-2002, 02:47 PM
I also keep those cases, along with the cases from any neighbor throwing theirs out at the mail area. :D

Here's what I don't get, why didn't AOL/Time Warner send their cruddy AOL 7 discs out in snapper cases and put their movies in keep cases? The snapper case requires a more difficult printing process, so why do it for all those different DVD titles when you can just do one pass for all those worthless AOL discs? It's like they enjoy throwing away money.

QLD
09-14-2002, 11:58 AM
I hate the stupid Tins AOL sends out. ANd I get like 10 different packages for every version they release. Tins, shrink wrapped, keeper cases, etc. etc.

But I am glad New Line is finally catching up with the rest of the world.