PDA

View Full Version : I got a Republic Gunship today!!

JangoFart
09-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Finally found one at Wal-Mart in Tahlequah, OK!! (Great name for a town, eh?? :) )

I'm not an opener, so as far as I know there's nuttin' but rocks in there, but I'm still stoked!!

J

Battle Droid
09-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Me too, though I got mine thru the mail. :D

Open it!!!:p

hango fett
09-12-2002, 08:32 PM
sounds cool! i really want one of them! maybe 50 of them! hope i find them before x-mas!
h

Jedi Drew
09-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Hey, hango why do you need 50 of them????:confused: :confused:

patchiswelsh
09-13-2002, 10:05 AM
i would like one but first comes the arena!!!

Val Da Car
09-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Got the gunship and I LIKE IT.....

I have been holding out on opening my Preview clone troopers until I got this bad momma jammer of a ship.....

The arena playset will be plentiful.....

If I was a kid (or parent) with $40 to spend on sw stuff the gunship would be it!!!!!

The True Maul
09-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Yes it is a cool ship just got mine in the mail yesterday!!:)

bigbarada
09-16-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
Finally found one at Wal-Mart in Tahlequah, OK!! (Great name for a town, eh?? :) )

I'm not an opener, so as far as I know there's nuttin' but rocks in there, but I'm still stoked!!

J

If you never plan to open it then you could've PMed me and I would've happily sent you my empty Gunship box for free. It's the same effect, but $40 cheaper.:p

Jargo
09-16-2002, 04:26 PM
I just don't get this carded/boxed collecting thing at all..... why buy a box if you don't care to use the contents? it'd be like buying a house and never living there or having a car but leaving it in the garage locked up. Perplexing is this to my old and tired mind...

karinations
09-16-2002, 04:26 PM
You un-opening people have willpower far beyond mine.It's one thing to keep figures on card(i don't but..)i can understand how one could handle that,i mean you can still see the figure and they do look cool tacked on a wall or something.But a ship? Especially something huge like the Gunship? It's like...i can't understand it.
How do you guys do it? What do you do with it? You get it home,look at the box..maybe stand it on it's side...look at the back of the box..then you...put it on a shelf? or maybe in the closet?
For....like,when?
If it just came out now and u are keeping it safe for resale value then you got some time to wait on it.
Unless you plan on E-baying it and that's cool i get that.
But the collector keeping a huge ship in box for...
that's weird man.Totally weird.
To me anyway:)

-V-

http://www.karinations.com
http://www.citizenv.com

JetsAndHeels
09-16-2002, 04:47 PM
I picked one up Friday and I totally love it. It was a piece of cake to put together and it looks great displayed with all my clone troopers in it. Can't wait to get the pilot Clones and the deluxe clones to go with it.
I agree with what Emperor Jargo and karinations said. How does a collector not open a ship or vehicle? You are robbing yourself of the joy and fun of having the toy in the first place. My advice to you if you have the Gunship is to open it. You won't be sorry!!

JangoFart
09-16-2002, 05:08 PM
As some wise man or woman once said: "To each, his own." For you, collecting SW stuff may be some sort of re-living of your childhood in that you get to play with cool toys that you didn't have access to back then. Or, perhaps, it's just that playing with toys never stopped amazing you and, therefore, you still do it. Or, maybe you're a diorama builder and like the way they look all "action posed".

In all honesty, I do not understand any of those, save the latter. There are tons of figures/ships that I have opened for the sake of opening or for the sake of placing them in my office in an all "action posed" scene. And, that's cool.

However, I, personally, do not collect SW for any reason other than I am a fan of the movies, comics, and universe. I do not have to open anything; as evidenced by the over 400 unopened figures/ships that I have. Not a huge collection, but it's mine.

And, if I do open something, I buy another to keep unopened. I am happy just possessing the given figure/ship and surrounding myself with my goodies. I enjoy arranging my office space at home to suit my particular preference and style of collecting. As, I'm sure, is why you openers open yours.

I am happy with the Republic Gunship sitting in its box on a top shelf with Jango's Slave I on top of it and next to AT-T with Vader's TIE on top of it. (Just as I'm content with the TIE Bomber I just got yesterday being on the shelf underneath it with other vehicles next to it.)

I've previously posted pics of my little nerd area at home. I think it looks very cool and, and this is the kicker, it pleases me - regardless of what anyone else thinks.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10154

We each collect for our own purposes. I admit that in '95, I opened everything and enjoyed laying my hands on the figures. There was just something about that "feeling". However, that "feeling" is gone for me as a collector and I'm content the way it is. Perhaps that will change; perhaps it won't. Perhaps some of you openers will find the day come to where you say to yourself: "Hmmmm. Those unopened 16 background figures would look sweet on a shelf together." Perhaps you won't. Enjoy your hobby and I'll enjoy mine.

I, for one, could care less as to if these things are worth millions or worthless in the future. After all, I collect for ME and the odds of me selling these things to, well, ME are rather slim.

J

JangoFart
09-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Wow! I thought that last rant would get an "AMEN!" or a "Burn, ya bum!" or two. You could hear a cricket fart instead....

:)

J

Lman316
09-20-2002, 01:17 AM
Open 'em, I say! :p But you're right, "to each his own," I guess. I just don't get it...
On the subject of the gunship: I've passed on this twice. Not because I didn't want it, mind you. I was just saving my money for some other things.
I actually had one in my hands when I was out of town, was walking around with it, looking at other stuff. I wanted it, I debated over it, and then I finally put it back. I knew that I would be seeing them again in my area and I said, "just because I have money doesn't mean I have to spend it." So, I bought a Masters of the Universe Mer-Man instead.
Then I did see one in my area, but again, I passed for lack of funds.
The ship really looks awesome, and I want a fleet of them, myself. I just need some room (which is getting smaller by the day, and I even took down my Star War stuff :p) and some money to purchase them. I really hope I didn't make a mistake on passing them. I hope that they'll be just as abundant as the Slave 1 or the Jedi Starfighter in a couple of months so that I can finally pick one (or two, or three) up...

End.

Master Plo- Koon
09-20-2002, 04:48 PM
I got my two gunships the other day, Im really happy. Although I cant wait until my Arena playset arrives, Ill be able to start putting together my Battle Of Geonosis in my room, and stockpiling even more clones. But I still cant wait for my Imperial Shuttle.

Darth Detori
09-20-2002, 09:29 PM
open it! it ROCKS!!!

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Im a 50-50 collector, I used to be all-MOSC/MISB, however I've thought many times about what enjoyment I was getting out of a bunch of boxes. Keep it sealed, for resale value, or open that puppy up and have some fun.
I keep 1 of each 3 3/4" mosc, for display and for an investment manyyears down the road.
if I want to open something, I buy a second. If I want to make a diorama (started buying armies for this) I do just that, I buy a bunch. so far its been all lay-a-way, that way I can keep money on hand for new stuff. (and not max the credit card :p )

Ive opened a bunch of figs, and realized how cool they look open :p so I made the plan, all beasts, ships etc will be opened ($40 for a box is eh...) this way, I get the cool looking thing on a shelf, I get enjoyment out of it, and hey if Im in a pinch up the river, I can still sell it for an ok price, (thats not what anything I collect is meant for, but it is a fallback option)
I collect to collect, I love starwars and I love the majority of the products. Can't wait for the new stuff =)