PDA

View Full Version : Cgi

Pendo
09-14-2002, 01:15 PM
As you all probably know, I'm not a big fan of CG characters. I think CG is ok when used for ships and locations, like it was for the podrace, but I cannot stand it when it's used for a living creature because you can instantly tell that it is not real. Puppets had a certain 'realness' to them, they WERE real, and it gave the actors something to interact with, but CG is just horrible :(. Am I the only one here who hopes that the use CGI is toned down in the last movie? It would also make the prequels blend with the OT better.

PENDO!

mini-rock
09-14-2002, 01:40 PM
I think CGI is a great tool. It gives filmakers a chance to do things that otherwise without CGI could not be done. Yoda in AOTC is a perfect example of CGI put to good use, and I cannot imagine how a Yoda fight scene would have been done with out the use of CGI. I also though the mouth movement was improved when compared to the puppet in ESB. I thought the Clonetroopers looked great too.

I will say there are some things that they still have not managed to get right. For instance live actors riding a CGI beast, but with time I'm sure that will improve. My .02 of course. :)

Battle Droid
09-14-2002, 02:48 PM
The Yoda fight done with a puppet would look pretty funny.

darthvyn
09-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
My .02 of course. :)

you should just put that in you sig line!!! :D

i don't really have a problem with CG. and jar jar was cg OVER a live actor, so the other actors DID have something to act with... i don't think they should tone down the amount of cg being used, just make sure the designs of ships and costumes and such make the bridge between the trilogies...

Pendo
09-15-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Yoda in AOTC is a perfect example of CGI put to good use, and I cannot imagine how a Yoda fight scene would have been done with out the use of CGI. I also though the mouth movement was improved when compared to the puppet in ESB.

I agree that CGI gave Yoda more movement, but that is one of the reasons why I don't like it. Yoda has always had that limited and slow movement, he WAS a puppet. We associated Yoda as a puppet. When Yoda became CG you could instantly tell that it wasn't a puppet so to alot of people it wasn't Yoda, it didn't look or move like him.
You can always tell CG from real life, I'm not quite sure what it is but there's something about it that makes it look fake. If George could do three amazing films in 1977, 1980 and 1983 WITHOUT the use of CGI then he surely can do it for 2005.

Originally posted by darthvyn
jar jar was cg OVER a live actor, so the other actors DID have something to act with...

Jar Jar WASN'T CG over a live actor.
George had Ahmed Best dressed in the Jar Jar suit to stand in for the character for the first shoot so the actors can see how to move and react. It also helped the team at ILM for movement, colour and lighting. But George removed Ahmed from the other takes so that ILM can fill in the character with more freedom, so the actors did not have anything to act with on the other takes.

PENDO!

mini-rock
09-15-2002, 10:58 AM
I understand where your coming from Pendo. For me it was a little hard to accept CGI Yoda at first, and the same went for puppet Yoda back in the day, but just like with the puppet from the OT you get use to it. I hope Yoda stays CGI. This way we get alot more mobility from the charchter with full body shots of him walking, running, and kicking butt, and thats what we would have to sacrifice if GL stayed with the puppet version.:)