PDA

View Full Version : What the heck???

Jedi Master Silas
09-14-2002, 04:47 PM
My husband and I have been battleing a question about EP2 for awhile maybe someone can cast some light on it for us. OK...the ship Dooku left the Geonosian planet in had some sort of balloon/ parachute type thing on it that opened when he got into space. My husband seems to think it was used to slow the ship down but I think maybe it was some sort of shield...anyone know?????

Battle Droid
09-14-2002, 04:50 PM
It's a Solar sail to collect Solar energy to power it.

Jedi Master Silas
09-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks BD I appreciate that...where did you find this out??

Lord Tenebrous
09-14-2002, 06:37 PM
There's both a databank entry...

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/solarsailer/index.html

...and a "Ask the Jedi Council" question:

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/doug/askjc20020809.html

:)

Jedi Master Silas
09-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks very much Lord T :)

JediTricks
09-15-2002, 09:11 PM
And you'll notice that even though it's called a "solar sail", it's capturing something else besides solar light energy for hyperspace propulsion. I think that's kinda cool in a Trekkie way.

stillakid
09-15-2002, 11:14 PM
...and what a cool toy this would make too! :)

JEDIpartner
09-16-2002, 10:03 AM
YEah... but it would be too big and the sail thing would be badly designed by the Hasblah chimp-populated design & production teams.

LTBasker
09-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Actually they could do it, originally for the Action Fleet version that is soon coming out the ship was supposed to be bigger and the sail would come in part pieces that would connect together (unfortunately they will with a full piece so it's gonna be really small). Hasbro could easily do something like that.

JEDIpartner
09-16-2002, 10:27 AM
Well... the only thing, though, is that I think Hasblah would try to do the 3 3/4" version with a Mylar-type sail that folds up. Even it they did make the sail as a searate piece- I think they would undoubtedly fail.

stillakid
09-16-2002, 10:30 AM
I've already worked the design out in my head. The shape of the ship itself is the perfect size to "hide" the sail while not in use. By pushing out the "rod," the sail "unfurls" with an umbrella-type design. Because the "rod" and "sail" lives down the middle of the ship-body, the action figures can sit in the cockpit on either side. The ship body itself wouldn't have to be much bigger than say that of the main portion of the Skyhopper without the wings. Just a little longer and a slight bit shorter.

LTBasker
09-16-2002, 11:23 AM
But they do have to think about kids' safety with it also so the umbrella idea might not be too keen with safety laws. What could be done though is that each sail would extend individually, then unfold and the sails would be fabric just like the Ewok Glider from the Complete Galaxy set and then the sails would have connector rods to place them. They would just need to have stronger fabric so that it could be done, it wouldn't be perfectly accurate, but it would be fun to play with that's for sure.

I'm sure if they did make Dooku's Sailor that it'd either be fabric fold-out, plastic one piece, or plastic put-together-yourself.

187-Maul
09-16-2002, 01:18 PM
but then we would have to wait another year before hasbro would finally make a pilot dooku (or the pilot droid)

scruffziller
09-17-2002, 02:50 PM
With really expensive silk.

Jedi Master Silas
09-17-2002, 04:58 PM
What would the Dooku pilot version look like???? How would it be differnet then the original release?? Just a thought. Aww the droid would be to sweet.

187-Maul
09-18-2002, 07:51 AM
maybe he would have to have knee-articulation to sit