PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon

BlahBlahBlah
09-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Is anyone else completely stoked about this? I loved the book, but the first adaption, Manhunter, was a disgrace. With a cast like Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton, and Anthony Hopkins, I don't see how they could go wrong.

And the weird thing is, Edward Norton is the perfect Will Graham. He's exactly how I pictured the character in the book. Here's hoping it's better than Munhunter.

Pendo
09-15-2002, 12:06 PM
I'm really looking forward to this film, it should be great :D! I've been wanting them to do this film with Anthony Hopkins for so long :).
I didn't much like Manhunter. It was an ok film, but compared to the ones with Anthony Hopkins in it was total poo!

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
09-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Actually Hannibal was the biggest poo of the three. What a waste of celluloid.

Manhunter was a mediocre film when compared to Silence of the lambs, but it sits on its own merits and everybody gave good performances.

Red Dragon has Ted Tally (of SOTL) doing the screeplay, but it has Brett"Rush Hour" Ratner directing. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after that Hannibal debacle, I'm a little leary of any Lechter movies.

ROLLO!

scruffziller
09-17-2002, 05:38 AM
This looks like it might be better than Silence of the Lambs.

QLD
09-17-2002, 04:27 PM
I doubt I will go see this in theatres. Hannibal was just sooooo bad, I don't think I can take the risk.

El Chuxter
09-17-2002, 04:37 PM
I could care less about the movie, but isn't good ol' Danny Elfman composing the score? That rocks! :D

Prince Xizor
09-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Yeah, Elfman is doing the score, so at least we know the music will good.

But seriously, I think this movie is going to rule. Edward Norton is one of the best (and most under appreciated) actors in Hollywood, Harvey Keitel is always cool ****, I have no complaints about Fiennes, and of course theres Anthony Hopkins.

Can't wait.

JediCole
09-19-2002, 11:45 PM
I just got free passes to a screening of Red Dragon for calling into a Texas-based movie review show. I should receive them in a day or two. I will be sure to drop by and give my reveiw after I see the film.

I was given the choice of Red Dragon or Sweet Home Alabama. I said, "Well, you just can't go wrong with Anthony Hopkins!"

BlahBlahBlah
09-20-2002, 06:03 AM
Good choice. I wouldn't see Sweet Home Alabama even with free tickets.

derek
09-20-2002, 08:12 AM
but reece witherspoon is the new meg ryan!!!;)

Jayspawn
09-20-2002, 11:22 AM
But Reese is a lot prettier!

Anyways, I'm totally stoked about this movie. I think its gonna be great! I love Harvey Keitel but I would rathered Scott Glenn come back to play Jack Crawford but Keitel is gonna play is good. Norton and Finnes are gonna be great.

I can't wait till I can get 'Silence''Hannibal' and 'Red Dragon' in a DVD 3 pack!

The Overlord Returns
09-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Actually, Manhunter was a really good film IMO......Brian Cox set the bar for playing Hannibal.

I'm extremely skeptical about RD.........too many cooks in the kitchen by the looks of it...

derek
09-20-2002, 12:32 PM
wasn't manhunter directed by michael mann? it was OK, but like most people, i saw "silence" first, so i couldn't help watching it and thinking about hopkins as hannible.:)

before hopkins gets too old, i hope they can make a film strictly about hannible before he got caught, about his fall into insanity.

Eternal Padawan
09-21-2002, 08:13 AM
He said he wasn't doing anymore after this.

But I agree, a movie where he's the crazy man on the loose would be fun to see. (NOTE: Hannibal does not fall into this category because it sucked paint off doors)

ROLLO!

QLD
09-21-2002, 11:13 AM
I would rather watch Sweet Home Alabama than this for sure. I love Silence, never saw Manhunter, and Hannibal was so sucky, it came full circle, stopped sucking, and then started to suck all over again.

I told my friend we shoudl go see this movie, then he kicked me in the crotch, and then I said, good idea, let's just kick each other in the crotch and say we did see it.

Reese Witherspoon is my flavor of the year. About once a year there is someone who gets my goose in a gander. She is it right now. ;)

JON9000
09-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Hannibal was one the biggest letdowns I ever saw as a sequel. It was also one of the most grotesque films I have ever seen, probably up there with "Caligula" on the scale. Silence managed to had great acting and managed to keep the worst of the worst off camera. Hannibal just seemed to be an excuse to show what otherwise had no excuse to be shown, much like old "Caligula."

I hope "Red Dragon" does not go down that path.

wedgeA
09-23-2002, 01:31 PM
I am looking forward to this film, as the cast is great and the story is my favorite of the three. It is interesting that everyone gives Ratner criticism, but to be honest, I can't stand any of Demme's films outside of SOTL. If Demme made a good film there, maybe Ratner will do well.

Also, I think that the problem with Hannibal was that Thomas Harris wrote a terrible novel. I think everyone involved with the film did the best they could with the source material they had. I think Red Dragon is a much better story and I think that will translate into a better movie.

Beast
09-26-2002, 03:27 AM
I saw this story re-posted in the forums at Horrordvds.com. It originally appeared over on Dark Horizens, and they got the original story from the English Tabloid, "The Mirror". I'm almost tempted to make a horrible pun, and say that this is the unkindest cut of all. Oh wait, I just did. :crazed: :D

Red Dragon: Every now and then there's an English tabloid story that's so funny you've got to laugh, today one such one emerged. The Mirror reports that star Ralph Fiennes had no problem going nude for a scene in the Hannibal Lecter prequel, in fact according to Director Brett Ratner "We had to digitally remove part of his willy because it was so long, in the end we had to remove three or four inches". Fiennes says "It's ridiculous when men get out of bed wearing underwear or pants after sleeping with a girl - it's just not realistic. Nudity's no big deal to me". In any case the make-up artists caught an eyeful, the full length back tattoo that Fiennes' sports in the film took an astonishing eight hours to apply.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-26-2002, 03:41 AM
Ever since Hannibal came out, I kept hearing about how graphic it was :rolleyes: and how Silence didn't show all of that stuff.
Yeah, right ! :crazed: Silence had PLENTY of gore, I think too many people are just squishy from that Hannibal brain scene. :o

I liked Hannibal, thought it was pretty cool. :) Definately not as good as Silence, but I will say Julianne Moore is wayyyyyy better than Jodie Foster.

Jodie Foster = Yuck. :dead:

Red Dragon? I'm going to see it, but I'm not all that pumped for it. I absolutely hate Manhunter now; I'm not sure how Cox could "set the bar" for Lecktor (notice the changed spelling ;) ) when he's barely in it. And when he is, I just find it boring.
Fiennes as Dollarhyde should be GREAT, and I agree that Glenn is a better choice than Keitel. :)

jjreason
09-28-2002, 02:02 AM
Ill be going. I hated Hannibal, but Red Dragon is a great, great scary story. Harris' worst by a mile (worst = scariest). The baddy here is terrifying. Fiennes looks nice and detached in the trailers, he'll do a super job as usual.

I do have a soft spot for Manhunter because of Michael Mann's involvement, but am looking forward to a new film treatment of this amazing novel. Oh, and that Anthony Hopkins, he looks like he might be okay as Hannibal Lector. Has anyone heard of this guy? :D

JediCole
10-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Mrs. JediCole and I have recently returned from our complimentary screening of "Red Dragon". A special thank you goes out to TXCN, Gary Cogil and his "Big Movie Show" for sending the passes my way so we and my best friend and his bride could have a great evening at the movies.

Now, I hate spoilers as much as the next guy, so I will avoid details as I have in other movie reveiw posts in the past. I will say only that if you loved Silence of the Lambs, and whether you loved or hated Hanibal, you will almost certainly love Red Dragon. I am told by my best friend that they were slavishly attentive to the details of the novel, following it with remarkable precision. Having not read the novel myself, I cannot say, but I suspect that such was an accurate appraisal.

Regardless of your foreknowledge of the plot, Red Dragon is well made with a tight script that has no fluff and memorable performances all around. As I said when I was offered the passes, "You can't go wrong with Anthony Hopkins". This was never more true than in Red Dragon. And in fact I was most impressed with the entire cast. And the direction was impecable, with a true sense of how to build suspense. And gore was kept to a minimum, the direction and art direction favoring [character] reaction over action. Bear in mind, I am not someone who feels that gore should never be a part of film, but I think that there are often better ways to shock an audience than the overt.

I will leave you all for now with a profoundly strong recommendation on this particular film. I have never seen Manhunter, so I cannot say one way or another how the two compare. All that I can do at this time is strongly urge fans of quality cinema craft to watch this film.

derek
10-04-2002, 06:44 PM
SPOLIERS FOLLOW
well, this film is going to make a LOT of money this weekend. i went to the 11 a.m. show and it was packed. i say at least $75 million for friday-sunday.

i liked this film a lot more than hannnible, and almost as much as "silence". my only real complaints are that sometimes i get the feeling that hopkins is doing a spoof of hannible. and i don't really like the fact that graham shot hannible 3 times in the chest, and he lived. shooting him in the knees would of been a lot more believable.:) other than that, it was very well done. i liked how this film was linked with "silence". i almost expected to see agent starling walking down the cell block at the end.:)

Darth Sinister
10-06-2002, 01:08 AM
Great...Great movie. Please don't let "Hannibal" keep you from seeing this movie. It has a few predicatable moments but it never gets "nasty" and keeps you into it the whole movie. If you're reading this thread you're somewhat curious.......GO SEE IT!!!

Jayspawn
10-06-2002, 01:51 AM
I saw Red Dragon last night and what a cool movie!!!!!! If you like 'Silence' then you'll like Red Dragon. 'Hannibal' is definatly the worst of the 3 movies, it has its merrits. But Red Dragon lives up to the original. It is a must see! Now I can't wait for the DVD!!!!

SithDroid
10-06-2002, 09:30 AM
I saw it yesterday. A great movie. I really liked Edward Norton in it. It kind of makes me wonder though why his character wasn't the main character in silence and hannibal instead of Clarice.

James Boba Fettfield
10-06-2002, 11:17 AM
SPOILER

Because after getting messed up by Dolarhyde in the end of Red Dragon, Graham went back to drinking heavily. Basically, the whole incident with Francis attacking him at home messed him up.

BlahBlahBlah
10-06-2002, 01:51 PM
So does the movie have the book's ending?

Just wondering if they would keep it the same, or try to go with a more happy ending...

2-1B
10-06-2002, 02:03 PM
What's with Reba copping a feel off of that tiger ? :eek:

derek
10-06-2002, 03:54 PM
caesar,

i noticed that also. i was thinking, did she grab what i thought she grabbed.:confused:

as for the ending, i don't know how the book ended, but this ending was different than in "manhunter". in manhunter, Will rescued the blind chick from dollarhyde's home, and in "red dragon" we were led to believe dollarhyde killed himself, only to later end up at the graham home.

when i thought dollarhyde had killed himself, i was thinking, "Wow, this is a very un-hollywood type ending, with the bad guy just killing himself, but then we found out he was alive, and it turned out to be a total hollywood ending.

i just watched manhunter, by the way, and red dragon is a far, far better film. better acting, better cast, atmosphere, etc..
If i hadn't just seen red dragon, i would of been lost while watching manhunter.

BlahBlahBlah
10-06-2002, 07:33 PM
Yep, that's the books ending. I was hoping they wouldn't Hollywood-ize it. Good to hear they didn't.

Still haven't seen it... maybe next weekend, I hope...

derek
10-06-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by BlahBlahBlah
Yep, that's the books ending. I was hoping they wouldn't Hollywood-ize it. Good to hear they didn't.

so which film ending was closest to the book? both films had typical hollywood endings, in my opinion, with the hero killing the badguy. that's totally hollywood.

a non hollywood ending would of been to have dollarhyde kill himself, or like when ed norton shot himself in the head in fight club.

hollywood=predictable.:)

wedgeA
10-07-2002, 04:21 AM
Overall, I thought the film was very solid. Although it lacked the depth of SOTL, I actually enjoyed this film the best of the three.

I liked the story and pacing better, SOTL has too many moments that I feel are slow. I prefer Will Graham to Clarice Starling. He is more on an even plane with Lector and makes for a great chess game. Also, Dolarhyde is a better villain than Jame Gumb, much more depth and humanity to the character while still terrifying. Finally I actually liked Kietel better as Jack Crawford, more personality than Scott Glenn.

Anyone else think Thomas Harris really sold out when doing Hannibal? Seems like he wanted to pander to the reader by having a whole book about Hannibal but at the same time giving a "shocking" (terrible) ending. Also, the way the book of SOTL ends, it does not seem like a sequel was intended.

derek
10-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by derek
before hopkins gets too old, i hope they can make a film strictly about hannible before he got caught, about his fall into insanity.

roger ebert and roeper had this same idea i have. they both want an original screenplay about hannible before he was caught in red dragon.

now for a little trivia. which actor was in all four films, manhunter, red dragon, silence, and hannible? this individual didn't play the same character, but was in all the films. and no cheating from IMDB.:crazed:

evenflow
10-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Red Dragon was actually pretty good. I was expecting it to be terrible. I am still traumatized by how wretched Hannibal was. Hannibal might just be the worst movie ever. (Although I think WaterWorld & Blairwitch Project are up there with it) Anyway, Red Dragon was pretty good.

BlahBlahBlah
10-07-2002, 07:53 AM
Red Dragon had the closest ending, if not exact. I'm just going by what I heard. By Hollywood-izing, I meant that I was afraid they would change the ending just so that Graham got Dolarhyde and that was it, with no mention of Dolarhyde showing up or Graham being scarred.

Eternal Padawan
10-10-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by derek

roger ebert and roeper had this same idea i have. they both want an original screenplay about hannible before he was caught in red dragon.

now for a little trivia. which actor was in all four films, manhunter, red dragon, silence, and hannible? this individual didn't play the same character, but was in all the films. and no cheating from IMDB.:crazed:

Shyeah, like Roeper has any ideas about anything... :rolleyes:

And Frankie Faison was in all four films. ;)

SithDroid
10-10-2002, 12:04 AM
You beat me to it EP.

Eternal Padawan
10-10-2002, 12:11 AM
Nuts, I forgot to give my review of the film... :rolleyes:

I liked it. Even though I had already seen Manhunter, so I knew the basic storyline, it still kept me intrigued. I think a lot of that had to do with the A - list of performers Ratner put together and less with his mediocre directing. Norton's performance was very subtle and I had to watch it a second time to get his frightened- to- death- yet - willing - confront- Lechter thing. At first I thought he was refusing to emote just to **** off Ratner ( I know I would...) Hopkins did seem to be hamming it up a bit. Fiennes was brilliant as Dollarhyde and just as creepy as Noonan in the role. I especially liked Hoffman as the reporter and a quick cameo from Frank Whaley as Reba's "other suitor". I thought however, that Joan Allen did a better job than Watson.

As for a sequel (or a prequel, they seem to be all the rage these days...) Dino DeLaurentis owns the rights to the character whether Harris ever writes another book or not. Since this and Hannibal both cleaned up at the B.O. I think it's fairly safe to assume there's another Hannibal Lechter movie down the road. Hopkins said he won't do it again, but that won't stop them (he'll probably just get "surgery" or something) and besides, he's said that before...

2-1B
10-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I especially liked Hoffman as the reporter and a quick cameo from Frank Whaley as Reba's "other suitor".

Ah yes! Frank! I had no idea he would be in the film, what a pleasant surprise ! :crazed: Of course, he had to pull a Pulp fiction and get shot to death. :cry:
When will he and Jennifer Connelly get to do another movie together? :happy:

I was thinking about the ending of this movie re: Starling's arrival, and I don't like it. At first I thought it was cute but if I ever watch Red Dragon on DVD and then want to insert Lambs right afterward, it just won't feel right for me. I don't like it skipping forward past the first few chapters of Lambs. :crazed:

derek
10-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Hopkins said he won't do it again, but that won't stop them (he'll probably just get "surgery" or something) and besides, he's said that before...

hopkins was on fox news the other day, and he dropped big hints that he would be more than willing to play hannible again.

Eternal Padawan
10-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Since he's still on the run after Hannibal maybe they can entice Julianne Moore and Ed Norton (in age makeup) to come back for another go. After years of searching, Clarice Starling convinces the only man to capture Lechter to try and find him again?

James Boba Fettfield
10-12-2002, 01:38 PM
I highly doubt Graham would be making a comeback. There was mention of that in the Silence of the Lambs. Crawford basically lost his protoge, though not to death.

SQueek
10-13-2002, 08:48 AM
well this was deff the best "hannibal" movie to date, had a good story coughhannibalcough and it didnt have jody fosters horrible acting so it surpassed the other two.

Eternal Padawan
10-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I highly doubt Graham would be making a comeback. There was mention of that in the Silence of the Lambs. Crawford basically lost his protoge, though not to death.

See, that's the thing. Dino DeLaurentis can do any story he wants for the sake of the almighty Box Office dollar. He could make Hannibal, Graham, and Starling all team up to fight Satan if he thought it'd put your tush in a theatre seat.

Wookiee
10-15-2002, 09:57 AM
I had to rent Manhunter again to refresh my memory before I check out Red Dragon. I have to say, I like Hopkins as Lecktor, but I really like the way Michael Mann handles the prison scenes, the sterile squeaky clean white prison was very creepy in a much more cerebral way than the dirty dungeon of the other films.

jjreason
10-17-2002, 01:50 AM
This was worth the money. Very faithful treatment of the source. Go see it.

Pendo
10-17-2002, 11:31 AM
I am going to see this film tomorrow night, I can't wait :D!

PENDO!

Pendo
10-19-2002, 07:04 AM
I thought the movie was brilliant. I loved every second of it! I hope a Lector DVD box set comes out soon with all 3 movies :).

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
11-03-2002, 01:57 PM
I just saw it yesterday. I know I am a little late in seeing it, but it was fairly accurate to the book, though I did see a few alterations and omissions of material, which was to be expected. I loved it, except for two things SPOILERS AHEAD

Graham did not get his face messed up Picasso style, that kind of went over badly with me, and the very end where Chilton tells Lecter a female FBI agent is there to talk with him. It appears like that event was just shoved in there to tie it to SOTL, but it seemed like that scene was occurring too early in the timeline of the movies.

Tycho
11-27-2006, 04:22 AM
This movie just got really good. I'm still watching it for my first time (I have seen the other 2 before) but Ed Norton and Ralph Feines are incredible - they outshine even Hopkins.

The dynamic between Feines and Reeba is the best. It makes me want him to find happiness for himself - he has the chance. But to turn away from it is the greatest way to illustrate his insanity.