PDA

View Full Version : ARGH!!! TOTALLY useless wal-mart employees

Darth Detori
09-15-2002, 05:23 PM
Ahem. This is what happened.
I checked the Just Found forums and I noticed that the republic gunship is being found around my area. SO I called the local wal-mart. I asked for toys and talked to an old woman who nearly put me to sleep she spoke so slowly. So, I clearly asked "Hi, do you have the Star Wars Republic Gunship?". She said "yes we do". I was like "SWEET!!!"; I got in the car and got down there at the SPEED OF LIGHT.
and guess what they had there!

Not

A

THING

I was thinking to myself "ok, they've remodeled stuff recently, maybe it's hiding around another corner.
NOTHING.
And so I found this incredibly helpful 80 year-old woman who "helped" me. I told her that I had just called asking about the republic gunship, and that they didn't have it. She asked me if I looked in the lego isle.....
I told her that no! because I was talking about the one that goes with the FIGURES! I thanked her in the rudest tone I could summon.

Now I've worked in retail, and I've always tried to do my hardest to help the customer find what they're looking for, therefore I KNOW the merchandise. and If I dont, I find someone who does and I LOOK AROUND, then tell them what we have. Clearly she didn't even take the time to walk the whole two feet down to the saga section (because she was an isle down from the lego isle stocking stuff). Now seriously- how could you work in the TOY section and not know about STAR WARS FIGURES?!?!?!? And given that, WOULDN'T YOU TELL THE PERSON THAT IT'S THE LEGO VERSION?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So here I sit, lacking gunship, and feeling that terrible feeling of crushed excitement. All thanks to one useless wal-mart employee.

Beast
09-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Well, people can't read your mind. And all you said judging by your post is, "Star Wars Republic Gunship". So it wasn't her fault they didn't have it. She did her best to look for you, and saw what you were looking for. Besides, calling is useless most of the time anyway. So don't get mad at her for not being able to read your mind. So with all due respect, she did help you. It's not her fault that you didn't make it clearly known what you were looking for. You should be sorry for being rude to her, when it was your fault. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
09-15-2002, 05:46 PM
You could've always asked her which one it was on the phone also. :p

Darth Detori
09-15-2002, 05:56 PM
Lets just say I work at a convenience store. Hypothetical situation- Someone asks me if we carry cigarretes. Would I say "Yes"? Of course! Would I ask them what kind they're looking for? YES!!!
if she was to do the best she could to look for me, she would have told me more accurately what they had. She could have easily been a lot nicer about it to, instead of just grumbling off as she so clearly did.
I've called there many times in the past and every time (pretty much) they've asked me if I wanted this or if I wanted that. Like when I was calling around about Vader Unleashed they always told me what they had for unleashed stuff- she made it seem like her only objective was to get me off the phone as soon as possible. again, not good customer service at all.

Beast
09-15-2002, 06:04 PM
It was your fault, you didn't say exactly what you were looking for. Just because someone works in the Toy Dept. doesn't give them magical powers to know what you are looking for. I could call them up and be vague and ask... "Do you have C-3PO?" If they go and look, they are going to say yes if they see the Saga basic figure, or the Deluxe figure.

Next time be more clear on the phone when you call, and respect the people that try to help you. She doesn't collect Star Wars, she looked and told you they had what you said you were looking for. It's your fault entirely for not being clearer, and not asking wether or not if it was the Hasbro or Lego version. :rolleyes:

You expect her to accuratly tell you what they have, and you don't find it wrong that you didn't tell her exactly and accuratly what you were looking for. That is a pretty silly thing to say, especially when both products have the exact same name. Again, you were totally at fault for the mistake.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Detori
09-15-2002, 06:09 PM
alright, I'll say I'm half at fault (in that I should have specified), though she could have just as easily specified as well.

AdmiralPiett
09-15-2002, 06:09 PM
Darth Detori, why don't you try stepping in this lady's shoes? Think about it, she's 80 years old. Chances are she is NOT a collector. If she sees Star Wars Republic Gunship on a box, she considers it in. I'm sure it wasn't her malicious intent to make you waste time or gas going there.
Piett

Lord Tenebrous
09-15-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Darth Detori
Lets just say I work at a convenience store. Hypothetical situation- Someone asks me if we carry cigarretes. Would I say "Yes"? Of course! Would I ask them what kind they're looking for? YES!!!
I've called there many times in the past and every time (pretty much) they've asked me if I wanted this or if I wanted that. Like when I was calling around about Vader Unleashed they always told me what they had for unleashed stuff- she made it seem like her only objective was to get me off the phone as soon as possible. again, not good customer service at all.

It all comes down to specifics. The stores have had the Lego Gunship for months, and you're assuming that she knew there was a new version out. 'Vader Unleashed' is specific. 'Star Wars Republic Gunship' isn't as of this month.

The cigarette analogy isn't a good one, because its a product associated with brand name - Camels, Reds, etc. Specifics.

So don't flame this woman behind her back. You got an answer based on the information you gave her. I'm sure you've made the same mistake yourself...

Teeska Mon Eebon
09-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Yes it would've been better if you would've specified the kind

2-1B
09-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Only half at fault? :p

I'd set your culpability more around 90%. :D

fourtwo
09-15-2002, 06:53 PM
whine whine whine.

its just a toy, don't blame that poor old lady for you not being clear with her.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-15-2002, 07:21 PM
Eh, patience grasshopper. you'll find them. It's pretty common that since the wally worlds are remodeling their toy sections they won't be out any time soon, that is assuming they've recieved it yet. Vehicles never sell well, you'll be able to find it for a while after it's out. You should go back and apologize to the old lady though for being such a rude lil' kid, you didn't specify Lego or whatnot and like JJB said, just go down there. I never call anymore, just go there myself.

Bib Forlobster
09-15-2002, 07:32 PM
You have to give the woman a break. You can't expect her to be as well versed in Star Wars Merchandise as you are. Most people aren't that familiar with this stuff. You asked her for a "Republic Gunship" and she found what she thought you wanted. She's an old lady for crying out loud! You can't expect her to know that there's more than one variation. You should've expected this and been more specific. Even if she does work in the toy section. Who knows, maybe she was just covering for someone who called in sick. Her main department may be in the clothing section. If someone stuck you in the fishing section of Walmart and asked about a certain fishing pole, would you know all the variations? Most likely not, if your not into fishing.

Basically, the point is, try to understand this persons position. I try to treat everyone in these stores the way I would like to be treated if I were them. Most of them work for minimum wage anyway and don't need any more grief. Besides, I've found that if your nice to these clerks, they usually remember, and when your looking for that hard to get figure, they'll go out of the way to look for one in the stockroom. They're not going to bother with you if they remember that you were rude to them.

Prince Xizor
09-15-2002, 07:33 PM
Jesus, lay off the kid. He thought he was going to find a Gunship, and then found out he wasn't going to get one. Wouldn't you be upset too?

And I don't know if the person he talked to worked in the toy department or not, but if they did, the associate should have said it was the Lego version.

Beast
09-15-2002, 07:37 PM
That's complete BS, Xixor. He wasn't clear on the phone, and then treated the woman that tried to help him at the store in a rude manner. Just because they didn't have what he wanted. He was the one in the wrong this time, and isn't going to recieve sympathy for his mistake. He never speciifed Hasbro or Lego on the phone, and he was the one calling for it. :stupid:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
09-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Wouldn't you be upset too?

No, cause I would have asked her which one it was on the phone.

LTBasker
09-15-2002, 07:41 PM
True I would be upset. The thing is though that they're just now being released, people can't wait? C'mon, they'll be in plenty supply by Christmas, and if you can't find one in store then print out a money order form (if you don't have a credit card) and get one from Amazon when they have them in which IIRC they do right now unless they sold out already. You'll get them, that's that.

Also if you had said "Hasbro $40 Republic Gunship" then maybe she would've known, but just saying Republic Gunship to someone who's not a collector and they'll think the first thing that says Gunship is gonna be what you're talking about. Heck if it had been out it could've even turned out to have been the Action Fleet Gunship. Even if you had said Hasbro Republic Gunship, that could've even gotten confused with the LEGO one because they've both released SW stuff on 4/23.

You do have a reason to get all mad about it, but then again it's just a toy that'll be easy to find later on. Theres no reason to rant about a person when you were at fault for assuming that everyone knows what you're talking about. Next time, be a little more descriptive and less breif on the conversation.

Darth Sidious
09-15-2002, 08:19 PM
You said she should have specified? She is not one of us, if the 3 3/4" gunship has never been in the store before, how would she know it even existed? For all she knows, the Lego one is the only one ever made, she didn't even know there was supposed to be another one. I can see why you are upset, but I can't see why you are upset at her. :)

Nexu
09-15-2002, 08:36 PM
Yeah man, calm down. You'll get it eventually.
Ever hear of "Respect your Elders?" :rolleyes:

stad
09-15-2002, 08:38 PM
Darth Sidious, you beat me to my exact point. How can you expect her to even know the Hasbro one exists, she has seen the Lego one, and that is all she probably even knows about. I wouldn't say 50% at fault, and think JJB is generous saying only 90%. I don't expect Joe Shmoe to know anything about my business or hobby that I have invested much time into, let alone specifics.

Dar' Argol
09-15-2002, 10:02 PM
And ppl wonder why some employees are rude:rolleyes:. You have to relize, like its been stated that this woman you spoke to probably didn't collect, or no THAT much about SW. And it the Lego Gunship has been out for months, she could have thought you ment that. Besides, I know that the other stores around mine only got 1 case of Gunships like us. That's 2 to a case. That means that there may have been some there . . . but by the time you got there, someone could have bought them. Concider that???

I see this happening all the time, not just with toys! A customer the other day threw a hissy fit because we did not sell a particular brand of coffee pot. She literally stomped and whined at out associate because we don't carry it . . . . and this was a 50 yr old woman!!!! Acting like a 3 yr old!!:rolleyes: These are the type of things that we have to put up with countless times a day.

And just because she works in toys, does not mean that she has to know about everything. This is the mentality of every collector. "OH, if I worked in the toy dept, I would know where everything is!!" Oh how many times I've heard this! Well, do you know about Care Bears and where they are. How about the Playskool version of Transformers. And what new Elmo did they release recently. There are over 10,000+ differant items in the toy dept, you can keep track of all of them???? With new ones coming out everyday???? I can't even do that, and I know where MOST of the stuff is. Plus I worked there 5 yrs. And I still don't know it all. So give the poor woman a break, relize that someone else could have bought it, and if you need it that badly, go order it online.

Sometimes I am ashamed to be associated with collectors like this. That's why we are looked down upon by the retail industry. Rabid fans indeed.

Nexu
09-15-2002, 10:05 PM
I was waiting for you to show up. ;)
You're exactly right, my mother works in the Sam's Club Bakery and Cafe, and you'd be amazed at what they have to put up with in there.

Jedi Drew
09-15-2002, 10:07 PM
I agree that if you are nice to the stockers that they will remember you. I posted once before that the "Nice Toy Lady" at the Wal-Mart in my area opened a few cases of Chewie wave for me because she remembered me as a Star Wars collector AND I was always nice to her. :D :D So just try to be nice to these people they are only trying to do their job it WILL help you in the long run.......:) :)

Nexu
09-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Or you could break the cases open on your own. ;)

LTBasker
09-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Or you could break the cases open on your own. ;)

Yeah very smart, make them mad at ya so they'll be sure to not let cases just be out there any longer. Is it really THAT hard to ask an employee nicely? :rolleyes:

Beast
09-15-2002, 10:23 PM
Yeah, it's actually against store policy for you to take cases off the pallet and open them. Since you could fall off the pallet and get injured, and sue the store for your mistake. So just be nice and ask an employee nicely, most of the time they will be nice and do it for you. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Detori
09-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Besides, I know that the other stores around mine only got 1 case of Gunships like us. That's 2 to a case. That means that there may have been some there . . . but by the time you got there, someone could have bought them. Concider that???

They may have sold out in the time it took me to get there, but nevertheless she told me she found the lego one, so it isn't really relevant.

And I DONT expect her to know that a hasbro one exists- in fact the existance of the lego one didn't really cross my mind until later- but when you're telling someone what you have in stock you tell them the brand and more specifics. I've only worked in retail and that's precisely what I do.
As someone said if I was put in say the fishing department and the same thing happened; someone called and asked for something, I'd repeat back to them what I found and what it looked like just to make sure they wouldn't end up doing what I did: wasting time going there.
I also take time to talk to the customer to make sure we're on the same note. I worked at a lamp and furniture store (no comments, please ;) ) and when someone would call asking if we had something, I'd talk to them as much as possible to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Frog lamps, for example; we had like, twenty different kinds (dont ask). So when someone said "oh, I was looking for the one with the four on the base" I'd go look; if I found it I'd tell them that we have it and where it was, which was how they'd be able to tell if it was what they're looking for (nothing ever moved in that store). And if we didn't have it, then I'd simply ask more questions about it until I got it nailed down in my head.
Now lets assume she was working the section to cover for someone- if she didn't know much at all about the merchandise, couldn't she have paged a manager? Some-one in the know?
As far as my customer service skills go, I'm the one that asks the questions when I'm the employee- you find out exactly what they're looking for, and if you find something that's close you TELL them what it is that you've come across. If they say "no, that's not it- it's the one with the big wings" then you look for the one with the big wings.
Now if I did say Hasbro and the $40 thing, then yes this could have been avoided. But it could have been equally avoided if she asked these standard questions. This is the protocol customer service falls under in these parts; this may be different elsewhere, as prince xizor is the only one who agrees with me in the slightest and he's in the same general area. Up here, we take time with our customers.

And it's not a matter of not having the gunship. I'd very much LIKE to have it, but it's not #1 on my priority list. I have all faith that I'll find it sooner or later anyway.

Beast
09-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Yes you should have said Hasbro, and been more specific. Being mad off at her because you didn't bother with specifics, but expect her to, and to know exactly what you are talking about is the most ignorent argument I have ever seen. You are the person collecting this stuff, you are the one looking to purchase this stuff, don't you think you should be certain they have what you want. Being rude to her was not right at all. :mad: :(

I guess it's ok for you to be vague and not clear what you want, but you expect everyone else to detail everything to you. When she told you that they had it, you could have asked what company makes it and the price, that would have saved the problems. Don't you think the fact that only 1 person even remotly agrees with you, points to the fact you were wrong. :stupid: :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
09-15-2002, 11:01 PM
So, I clearly asked "Hi, do you have the Star Wars Republic Gunship?". She said "yes we do". I was like "SWEET!!!"; I got in the car and got down there at the SPEED OF LIGHT.

^ Is that what you call specific????

And you know what?? I am very glad that you are so thorough with your customers. You are truely an asset to your company. But you know what else??? Not everyone is!! Not everyone cares for their job amd assisting the customer in the same way. Either they are far too old to care . . . . or they have been in the buisness far too long and stopped caring a while ago. Which is truely said.

It is true she should have asked a few questions, but if she doesn't know SW, how would she really know. If someone asked me to show them a rifle, it would show them. But if they went into specifics . . . . I have not clue then. So this woman might not have know that there are 2 Gunships. She's only seen the Lego version for the past . . oh .. . . . 5 months or so. And she does not keep up on these things, so it being a new item, she would not know. ONLY if she was a collector would she know. Give the woman a break, Sheez.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-15-2002, 11:08 PM
I can understand your frustration if you had to drive miles to the store and had nothing to show for it, but don't vent your anger by being rude with the old lady, who was from reading your post, only trying to help you.

She's 80 years old you mentioned. You can't expect her mind to be as sharp as a tack. At that age she should be long retired, sitting at home knitting sweaters, playing bingo, and watching Matlock, not working at a retail store trying to earn a decent wage.

Darth Detori
09-15-2002, 11:27 PM

It is true she should have asked a few questions, but if she doesn't know SW, how would she really know. If someone asked me to show them a rifle, it would show them. But if they went into specifics . . . . I have not clue then. So this woman might not have know that there are 2 Gunships. She's only seen the Lego version for the past . . oh .. . . . 5 months or so. And she does not keep up on these things, so it being a new item, she would not know. ONLY if she was a collector would she know. Give the woman a break, Sheez.

well lets see... what kind of questions could she have asked? well how about color, size, company, what's being shown on the box, if the box has a window display, etc.
and if someone asked you to show them a rifle, you wouldn't ask which one?
I obviously don't expect her to know how many come in a box, much less what it is, but I expect her to make sure I'm getting what I'm looking for. Regardless of age you should still care about what you're doing, and if you're not than your employer isn't doing a good job, THUSLY my complaint.

and though it'll seem a bit artificial at this point to mention it, I met her demeanor with the same in my responses to her. Basically she sounded like she had no interest in me or my inquiries, and I returned the respect to her.

stillakid
09-16-2002, 12:03 AM
Here's my take on it. A retail store exists with the express purpose of selling things. As a result it requires employees whose responsibility it is to be as helpful as possible, which includes being knowledgable about the product(s) that said company carries. So, while it always behooves us, the consumers, to be entirely thorough when inquiring about any product, it is MORE the responsibility of the employees representing the company to take the steps necessary to ensure customer satisfaction that results in a positive shopping experience. It is the Walmart employee's job to know what is on the shelves and what will be arriving on the shelves. If that isn't the job, then what is it then? Wander the aisles? Stock shelves? Sweep floors? All those things? Some of them? None of them?

While this 80 year old woman most likely wouldn't know Star Wars from Star Trek, it's still her responsibility to know the product that her store stocks. It's her responsibility to ask those specific questions about the product in question if the customer doesn't have the foresight to do so. The author of this thread is only at fault in that he didn't cover his own bases, but the official responsibility lies with Walmart and the poor customer service that was offered in that instance. She should have specified exactly what it was that she was looking at on the shelf with brand name and price. If she didn't (and it sounds like she didn't), the customer should have asked for the specifics knowing that a Lego edition was also available and that confusion was a possibility, but the employee should have provided that information automatically.

JediTricks
09-16-2002, 12:22 AM
This isn't like asking "do you have a 40-watt light bulb", you gave a specific title and it matched a specific item they had in stock perfectly - they've had a "Star Wars Republic Gunship" in the store for 4 months, the Lego one. In fact, if anything, you would be at fault on this for not clarifying which Republic Gunship because you knew the Hasbro version was brand new and not even hitting most shelves yet. They did their job, they were given a specific toy title and it matched an item.

Dar' Argol
09-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
This isn't like asking "do you have a 40-watt light bulb", you gave a specific title and it matched a specific item they had in stock perfectly - they've had a "Star Wars Republic Gunship" in the store for 4 months, the Lego one. In fact, if anything, you would be at fault on this for not clarifying which Republic Gunship because you knew the Hasbro version was brand new and not even hitting most shelves yet. They did their job, they were given a specific toy title and it matched an item.

THANK YOU JT!!!:D

The problem with WM right now is that they are opening too many stores, and not training their associates properly! I've been seeing this happening for the past 2 yrs! Heck, on of our new Assistant Managers had to stay at his traing store for 2 more weeks because he didn't pass his training!!!!!! What WM needs to do is stop building more stores and get back the the basic values that Sma Walton layed down. But the problem is that the Walton kids are too damn greedy:mad:.

Stillakid, in an ideal world, that is how a buisness would run, But unfortunatly, this is not an ideal world. I agree that is how every employee should be, but they are not. I know, I work with a few:rolleyes: :D

LTBasker
09-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Ya know, the woman probably didn't even know what the heck it was right off the bat, she probably just looked it up on the computer and saw that they had a "Republic Gunship" in stock which turned out to be the LEGO. So if she doesn't know that theres a Hasbro one out, let alone there not being two in the computer, and theres only one in stock, then you can be the only one to blame for not clarifying.

All your arguments have to do with stuff that would be obvious knowledge to know for the job that there are different cigarettes/rifles, but these are TOYS and if theres only one in the computer listed as in stock or just flat-out listed, then even if they did know the difference, they would most likely think you're calling about the one IN STOCK ON THE COMPUTER because it's the only one listed with the information you put down because you weren't being specific.

stillakid
09-16-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

That's why I mentioned that it behooves the customer to be specific about the item they wish to purchase. But, as Dar Argol points out, this is not a perfect world, so it is a necessity for the customer to essentially double-check the information that the store is handing out, even though it still remains the responsibility of the store (and by default, the employees) to "go the extra mile." I place that is quotes because what seems like extra effort should just be business as usual. Alas, it isn't, so we are led to expect less than standard service. If this is the norm, then why bother having employees answering customer queries at all?

stad
09-16-2002, 02:01 AM
The store's responsibility line is nonsense. This old lady was asked if they had the Star Wars Gunship. She looked and yes, they had the Star Wars Gunship. She FOUND WHAT HE ASKED FOR! When it is the only Star Wars Gunship since the new Star Wars came out, and it is the only one she most likely would have known about, why would she ask more questions? She answered the customers question, unless he asks another, or she is aware of a reason to ask another or further clarify, why would she start asking the customer questions?

jad
09-16-2002, 02:07 AM
Man i'm sorry guys, I would rarely post a negative reaction like this. I don't agree with the way this guy, (who started the thread) treated the old lady rudely. But seriously you're over analyzing the situation and frankly just coming off a little self righteous. Sorry guys I don't want to start an argument but you're being just as judgemental of him as he is off the old lady. Lets not waste the space of these forums with this type of discussion. Once again guys I don't mean to be dogging on anyone, or starting an argument I just wanted to bring out my thoughts on the situation.

Hellzer
09-16-2002, 03:31 AM
I gotta come to the aid of my boy Detori here. We New Englanders gotta stick together.

It seems to me that both are at fault here in varying degrees. Detori should have specified better and the employee should have maybe checked a little harder. The bigger problem everyone apparently has is that Detori flipped his lid at this poor, defensless old woman over what transpired. Personally I don't agree with lashing out in such a manner......but I understand:evil: . You're more likely to see a Wamp Rat in your toilet than any new SW items around these parts lately, so one can imagine some of us going off the deep end sooner or later. Looks like Detori's leading the pack.;) :crazed:

Val Da Car
09-16-2002, 07:12 AM
True and understandable but it is still no excuse. Next time you are looking for the gunship and you are calling your local Wal Marts give them something specific.... LIKE THE UPC CODE ON THE BACK OF THE BOX IN THE SIR STEVE's Guide pic.

that will reduce confusion and help identify your item better.

'nuff said

Nexu
09-16-2002, 08:10 AM
Since when is Mass in New England? ;) :p

in fact the existance of the lego one didn't really cross my mind until later...

therefore making it your fault. I reallly don't seem to see the trouble with this issue, it seems pretty clear-cut to me. You weren't specific, and you got ticked when you had no reason to be ticked. Your fault, the end.

Prince Xizor
09-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
That's complete BS, Xixor. He wasn't clear on the phone, and then treated the woman that tried to help him at the store in a rude manner. Just because they didn't have what he wanted. He was the one in the wrong this time, and isn't going to recieve sympathy for his mistake. He never speciifed Hasbro or Lego on the phone, and he was the one calling for it. :stupid:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Its not total B.S. When you call up a place like Walmart asking for a toy, they transfer you to someone in the toy department. When someone works in the toy department, they should know at least a little something about toys. Yes, he should have been more specific, but she should have said "We carry the lego version". She/He should be familiar with the fact that a lot of toys come in a Lego and Non-Lego version. (Especially Star Wars)

And if she just looked it up on the computer like some people have mentioned, then she would have seen both Gunships on the computer. If its in one Walmart computer its in them all, just because its not in stock doesn't mean its not in the computer.

Therefore, either way, its partly her fault.

Now can we leave the kid alone. There is 3 pages bashing him, I think you have made him feel bad enough.

LTBasker
09-16-2002, 11:02 AM
No no, like I said, she could'veknown diddly squat about Star Wars and all she probably did was look it up "Republic Gunship" on the computer and gotten the LEGO version. If that's the only version on the computer or the only version IN STOCK and with someone just asking for the "Republic Gunship" then she had no reason to specific, especially if she was oblivious to the fact that there is actually one for the figures coming out and it wasn't listed as in stock or even listed on their computer.

Prince Xizor
09-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
No no, like I said, she could'veknown diddly squat about Star Wars and all she probably did was look it up "Republic Gunship" on the computer and gotten the LEGO version. If that's the only version on the computer or the only version IN STOCK and with someone just asking for the "Republic Gunship" then she had no reason to specific, especially if she was oblivious to the fact that there is actually one for the figures coming out and it wasn't listed as in stock or even listed on their computer.

Thats true, but the Hasbro version would have been on the computer, so you can rule that reason out.

If she knew squat about toys, then she shouldnt have been the one handling the call.

stillakid
09-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

What happened:

His question, "Do you have the Star Wars Republic Gunship?"

She either looks in the computer or on the shelf.

Her answer, "Yes we do."

What should have happened:

She answers, "I'm looking (in the computer) (on the shelf). We have (number) of (brand, ie LEGO) Star Wars Republic Gunships. They cost ($price) a piece. That'd be ($price) with tax. Would you like me to hold one for you?"

His answer, "Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help."

Because we consumers can't and shouldn't expect the kind of customer service that should be given everytime, this is what really has to happen instead:

His question, "Hi, I'm looking for a new toy that was just released. It's a Star Wars item. It's the Hasbro Star Wars Republic Gunship. There is a LEGO version that has been out for a few months now, but that isn't the one I'm asking about. The one that I want is made to be compatible with the action figures. Could you check on that for me? I'd also like to know what the price is and how many you have as well. Thanks!"

Her answer, "Sure, honey. I'm just an 80 year old woman and even though I was hired by Walmart and have a responsiblity to know the product we carry, I don't know from Star Trek, but I'll check on it fer ya!"

:)

JEDIpartner
09-16-2002, 11:30 AM
I worked many years in retail and I have learnt that one needs to be absolutely specific as to what they are looking for-- otherwise they will be sorely disappointed when they come to retrieve their merchandise!

I would have asked her... "Have you gotten in the recently released Repblic Gunship for the Star Wars action figures? I think it costs around $40."

That should have been sufficient information to at least get her started. From that point... if she had any doubts, she could have asked you questions or told you what was showing in her computer.

Darth Sidious
09-16-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yes you should have said Hasbro, and been more specific. Being mad off at her because you didn't bother with specifics, but expect her to, and to know exactly what you are talking about is the most ignorent argument I have ever seen. You are the person collecting this stuff, you are the one looking to purchase this stuff, don't you think you should be certain they have what you want. Being rude to her was not right at all. :mad: :(

I guess it's ok for you to be vague and not clear what you want, but you expect everyone else to detail everything to you. When she told you that they had it, you could have asked what company makes it and the price, that would have saved the problems. Don't you think the fact that only 1 person even remotly agrees with you, points to the fact you were wrong. :stupid: :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Listen to the man, he's Emperor! J/k, j/k. :D Anyway, I did not mean to bash you, DD, I was stating my opinion, and I didn't mean any offense, just so you know that. So I am officially out of this soon to be flame war, because I don't want to make enemies. :)

bigbarada
09-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Well, dangit, if they work for Wal-Mart then they damn well better be able to read my mind when they pick up the phone. And they better know EXACTLY what I want, before I mention it, and know EXACTLY what condition I want it in. I better be able to give them as little information as possible and still get the toy I am thinking about. What does Wal-Mart pay these people for anyway?:stupid:

:p:D:D

JediTricks
09-16-2002, 04:05 PM
In my area, retail workers are often dissuaded from volunteering price info unless asked - and from a customer service standpoint, it makes sense. You give an answer based on what the customer tells you and the pricing info is up to them to ask. Most stores around here don't even answer questions about collectibles anymore.

As for toy section workers being familiar with what's coming out soon, we Star Wars collectors have made that a living nightmare for them. If an employee is told something is coming soon, I've seen rabid fans bother that employee for every detail possible - eventually the employee is forced to either say "no more" or just make stuff up to get the fanboy off his back. It's not rewarding to become familiarized with what might be coming out - especially when Wal Mart puts up shelf tags of items that never make it out of the prototype stage (Attack C-3PO and R2-D2, Star Trek's Diagnostic Data). If we want employees to respect the collector fanbase again, the collector fanbase has to act in a responsible manner again.

The Lego republic gunship is a big item, one of the most expensive toys they sell in one of the biggest boxes on the shelves. It is a high profile toy. The Hasbro republic gunship isn't even at most stores yet, and is in a small box that is easily overlooked and fades into the myriad of other similarly-sized blue Hasbro boxes.

Dar' Argol
09-16-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
And if she just looked it up on the computer like some people have mentioned, then she would have seen both Gunships on the computer. If its in one Walmart computer its in them all, just because its not in stock doesn't mean its not in the computer.

Actually, in order to look something up in our system, we either need the UPS # or the WM item #. The ONLY other way to look it up, it to go into the supplier screen and olook through every product made my Hasbro . . . . . everything . . . .. not just SW . . . . . . . . or look in Lego and look at all of their stuff!!! We just cannot enter "Republic Gunship" and have results come up. It doesn't work that way . . . . although sometimes I wish it would. And the UPC or Item # does not show up in a stores system until they recieve it and that truck report has been finnalized. So it is possible for some stores to have it in their system and other don't. Expecially if its a NEW item.

Bobajames
09-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Jeez i wonder if that lady knows about this site. It would be really funny to see her reaction to this four page argument started over her helping a customer find a toy. I'd like to see her reply to all this :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: i love smileys

TylerD
09-16-2002, 11:18 PM
But seriously you're over analyzing the situation and frankly just coming off a little self righteous.

THANK YOU JAD! You have made a wonderful point. Some of you guys sound absolutely ridiculous because of your "holier than thou when it comes to customer-employee relations" attitudes. Give Darth Detori a friggin break. You guys can't honestly say that you have never played the "rude customer" bit. Everyone is guilty of this...even...GASP!!!...those of you who keep saying you have worked in retail! The point is, Darth Detori screwed up...so what? He shouldn't have to deal with so much chastising. You guys aren't the retail GODS....I mean seriously guys....take a freaking chill pill.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-17-2002, 12:09 AM
I agree were all overanalyzing the situation a bit too much. But there is a healthy discussion going on between the role of the consumer and the role of the distributor.

I guess my final conclusion is that both the 80 year old lady and DD are at fault.

First of all, a couple of you mention the 80 year old lady looking up the item on the store computer. My guess is that a woman that age is a little intimidated by them. Of course I have no way of knowing if that woman did or did not look up the items, but my guess based on observations is that she didn't.

Can we fault her at that? Yes, we can since it is expected of an employee to know how to use them. But should we be surprised that she couldn't? No, not at all.

DD can also be faulted for not giving a little bit more detail in his explanation.

Let me share with you a comprable story because nearly the same thing happened to me, at my place of employment over the weekend. I help to run the family business which you can call a frozen dairy desert establishment (ice cream shop). A lady called up Sunday and asked if we had a certain flavor (strawberry cheesecake). That was our flavor of the week in soft ice cream or custard, so I said "Yes, we do." Our ice cream supplier also has a hard ice cream flavor of Strawberry Cheesecake which we didn't carry at the time.

When she came in, she was disappointed that we didn't have her cheesecake flavor, especially since she called before hand to make sure. I told her that we did have that flavor in our soft ice cream machines, but that didn't float her boat. She ended up getting something totally different instead.

In hindsight, I could have clarified to her that we did have that flavor in only in our custard variety and not in our hard ice cream variety. I assumed that she meant custard, because people call us to ask about our speciality flavors of the week all the time. So I lay the blame on myself and to her, but I have to say that we both committed innocent mistakes.

So in summary, I think both the Wal-Mart employee and DD approached the situation with good intentions. The customer had a simple query, the employee seemed intent on helping him. However, you can hold both accountable for not asking enough appropriate questions (in DD's case he should of said the newly released Hasbro non Lego ship) while the lady should have clarified what type of ship that she found.

stillakid
09-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
What does Wal-Mart pay these people for anyway?:stupid:

:p:D:D

I would hope that any company hires people that it feels will represent it's best interest and contribute to the best company/consumer relationship that is possible. If the standard business model now means that employees should offer as little assistance as is humanly possible until it's time to punch out, then that should be presented as policy in their commercials. As history would show though, Walmart's marketing consists primarily of scenes with old people being overly friendly and very helpful.

Because we all know that the reality is far different, Detori should have been far more specific in his query, but letting an employee off scot-free of any responsibility to doing the job that they were hired for is ridiculous.:stupid:

Her job is to sell stuff. For that she gets a check every week or two. Taking the "extra" steps to ensure that the product at the store is exactly what the customer would like to purchase should be the primary focus of the job. If it isn't, then what is, praytell? This isn't f'ing brain surgery. It doesn't take any extra-sensory ability for an employee to say something like, "What we have on the shelf is a LEGO Republic Gunship and we have 10 of them available." But maybe that's asking too much based on the responses here.:rolleyes:

stillakid
09-17-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
I agree were all overanalyzing the situation a bit too much. But there is a healthy discussion going on between the role of the consumer and the role of the distributor.

I guess my final conclusion is that both the 80 year old lady and DD are at fault.

First of all, a couple of you mention the 80 year old lady looking up the item on the store computer. My guess is that a woman that age is a little intimidated by them. Of course I have no way of knowing if that woman did or did not look up the items, but my guess based on observations is that she didn't.

Can we fault her at that? Yes, we can since it is expected of an employee to know how to use them. But should we be surprised that she couldn't? No, not at all.

DD can also be faulted for not giving a little bit more detail in his explanation.

Let me share with you a comprable story because nearly the same thing happened to me, at my place of employment over the weekend. I help to run the family business which you can call a frozen dairy desert establishment (ice cream shop). A lady called up Sunday and asked if we had a certain flavor (strawberry cheesecake). That was our flavor of the week in soft ice cream or custard, so I said "Yes, we do." Our ice cream supplier also has a hard ice cream flavor of Strawberry Cheesecake which we didn't carry at the time.

When she came in, she was disappointed that we didn't have her cheesecake flavor, especially since she called before hand to make sure. I told her that we did have that flavor in our soft ice cream machines, but that didn't float her boat. She ended up getting something totally different instead.

In hindsight, I could have clarified to her that we did have that flavor in only in our custard variety and not in our hard ice cream variety. I assumed that she meant custard, because people call us to ask about our speciality flavors of the week all the time. So I lay the blame on myself and to her, but I have to say that we both committed innocent mistakes.

So in summary, I think both the Wal-Mart employee and DD approached the situation with good intentions. The customer had a simple query, the employee seemed intent on helping him. However, you can hold both accountable for not asking enough appropriate questions (in DD's case he should of said the newly released Hasbro non Lego ship) while the lady should have clarified what type of ship that she found.

YES! Perfectly illustrated. Thank you.

stad
09-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by TylerD:

THANK YOU JAD! You have made a wonderful point. Some of you guys sound absolutely ridiculous because of your "holier than thou when it comes to customer-employee relations" attitudes. Give Darth Detori a friggin break. You guys can't honestly say that you have never played the "rude customer" bit. Everyone is guilty of this...even...GASP!!!...those of you who keep saying you have worked in retail! The point is, Darth Detori screwed up...so what? He shouldn't have to deal with so much chastising. You guys aren't the retail GODS....I mean seriously guys....take a freaking chill pill.

The difference is DD came running here crying to us about how awful and worthless the Wal-Mart employee was.

TylerD
09-17-2002, 12:51 AM
I understand your point Stad, but that doesn't mean that everyone had to get psycho on him. Instead of acting so psycho, someone could have calmly explained to him that he should have been more specific etc...

Darth Detori
09-17-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by stad
Originally posted by TylerD:
The difference is DD came running here crying to us about how awful and worthless the Wal-Mart employee was.

excuse me, running and crying? Where was there any running or crying in this thread? My initial purpose of posting this was to share my experience and see if anyone else had a similar experience. I don't know if I missed something, but this IS a collecting forum, right? So I posted this to talk about a problem I'm having involved with COLLECTING, to other COLLECTORS. And on another note, I've stated my opinion on who I think is right and who's wrong here (Lowly Bantha Cleaner basically got it), and that's the last I'll say on that issue.
I don't appreciate your attitude.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Well, dangit, if they work for Wal-Mart then they damn well better be able to read my mind when they pick up the phone. And they better know EXACTLY what I want, before I mention it, and know EXACTLY what condition I want it in. I better be able to give them as little information as possible and still get the toy I am thinking about. What does Wal-Mart pay these people for anyway?:stupid:

:p:D:D That has to be the funniest post i've ever read. Working in retail for many a years, there are people that have that mentality!!! It's true!!! and the fact i worked for Sams Club (wal-mart corp) made it even funnier. :D

JEDIpartner
09-17-2002, 12:43 PM
I think were DID say he should have been more specific. Did I miss some of these "bashing" threads??? :confused:

stad
09-17-2002, 05:00 PM

And so I found this incredibly helpful 80 year-old woman who "helped" me. I told her that I had just called asking about the republic gunship, and that they didn't have it. She asked me if I looked in the lego isle.....
I told her that no! because I was talking about the one that goes with the FIGURES! I thanked her in the rudest tone I could summon.

Now I've worked in retail, and I've always tried to do my hardest to help the customer find what they're looking for, therefore I KNOW the merchandise. and If I dont, I find someone who does and I LOOK AROUND, then tell them what we have. Clearly she didn't even take the time to walk the whole two feet down to the saga section (because she was an isle down from the lego isle stocking stuff). Now seriously- how could you work in the TOY section and not know about STAR WARS FIGURES?!?!?!? And given that, WOULDN'T YOU TELL THE PERSON THAT IT'S THE LEGO VERSION?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So here I sit, lacking gunship, and feeling that terrible feeling of crushed excitement. All thanks to one useless wal-mart employee.

Sorry Darth Detori, using the term running and crying was a little harsh, I was just trying to get my point across to TylerD.

Bib Forlobster
09-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Can't we all just get along? - Rodney King

Seriously, I thought everyone was being fairly calm in explaining how they felt. I'm sure no one has anything against DD, we've all gotten frustrated with store employees before, we're all just expressing our view of the situation. Kind of like watching Judge Judy.

I think it's hilarious that there is this old Wal-Mart employee lady out there right at this minute who has no idea how many people are discussing her actions at this moment.

Darth Sidious
09-17-2002, 06:02 PM
Ok, this is ri-G*d damned-diculous. Why this ignorant flame war of a thread is still open is beyond me. Mods, could you please close this? It's just a suggestion, I think it would be better if things didn't get out of hand. It's not everyone, to those of you who have handled this like civilized human beings, I commend you. But those of you who have behaved like inbred ignoramuses forced to live off of tree bark in the woods, please grow up. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Darth Detori was wrong, as were the people who insulted him. DROP IT. Someone close this, please...It's sickening.

Dar' Argol
09-17-2002, 11:10 PM

I agree that we ARE overanalizing this, and I agree that both parties were at fault here. I just hate it when someone starts off complaining about someone like they did all they could and this person just wanted to be mean to them. I mean, look at the title of this thread - "ARGH!!! TOTALLY useless wal-mart employees".

That said let me expalin something about our "System" in WM. Since our system can do everything from placeing orders, to changing on hand counts, to clearancing merchandise, to even just checking that something is on hand, there are ppl who are restricted to useing it. So not everyone has access to the system. Mostly its Dept Managers who have tha access. There are some 2nd shift employees who have the option to look up items and tell you if we have any, or the price, or to make labels. But that is the extent. So, unless this "80 yr old woman" was a Dept Manager, she would not have extensive access to the system. And again, we cannot punch in "Rebuplic Gunship" into our system and get a list or related items. We have NO search option. We either need a UPC#, a WM item #, or manually search the supplier, (That usually takes about an hour on adverage).

Originally posted by stillakid
I would hope that any company hires people that it feels will represent it's best interest and contribute to the best company/consumer relationship that is possible. If the standard business model now means that employees should offer as little assistance as is humanly possible until it's time to punch out, then that should be presented as policy in their commercials. As history would show though, Walmart's marketing consists primarily of scenes with old people being overly friendly and very helpful.

I would love if that first part would happen!!!! But unfortunately, with WM, they hire practically anyone. There are some stores sooo desperate for help that they WILL hire ANYONE, just a warm body in the store. Our 2nd shift is by far the worst in most areas of Customer Service. Most are high school kids who just show up to get a paycheck so they can go out with their friends. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if we were paid by the job we did, most of these kids would not get a paycheck. As I said, WM is building too many stores, in too short of a time, and not training their new hires properly.

Because we all know that the reality is far different, Detori should have been far more specific in his query, but letting an employee off scot-free of any responsibility to doing the job that they were hired for is ridiculous.:stupid:

I agree that both are at fault, and that employee should have been a bit more questioning with DD but, if what he says it true, SHE'S 80 YRS OLD! Most of our employees that old are standing by the front door saying "Welcome to Wal-Mart"! The very fact that she has not been moved to that postion is a testamit to her . . . . . . . or not. Who know's, because we are not at that store.

I am not saying DD was right, nor the old woman, I am saying that his attitude towards that woman was what offended me. Its true that not all WM employees are the model of retail sales, but she did technically answered your question. And IF it was a new item they just got in . . . . . unless she put it on the shelf, she might not have seen it that day yet. BUT, she knew we had the Lego version for months. So unless she saw the new one, she would not have known about it, therefore she would have had no reason to ask. That's all I'm trying to say . . . . . :D

Darth Detori
09-17-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Darth Sidious
Ok, this is ri-G*d damned-diculous. Why this ignorant flame war of a thread is still open is beyond me. Mods, could you please close this? It's just a suggestion, I think it would be better if things didn't get out of hand. It's not everyone, to those of you who have handled this like civilized human beings, I commend you. But those of you who have behaved like inbred ignoramuses forced to live off of tree bark in the woods, please grow up. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Darth Detori was wrong, as were the people who insulted him. DROP IT. Someone close this, please...It's sickening.

heck, no! it's evolved past "I agree with..." and is now onto some good, healthy discussion which was partly the initial purpose.

and I may have over-estimated her age; it'd probably be around 70-75. I wouldn't entirely rule out 80 though :rolleyes:

2-1B
09-18-2002, 04:06 AM
Speaking of "totally useless" employees, I don't like those people who hang out by the door to greet customers. :rolleyes:

Too many of them flat out ignore me, and while I'm actually happy about that, I kinda take offense because there's no reason to ignore me . . . I'm a nice guy ! :happy:

Oh, but if I have a return, they're all over me like a freaking hawk, slapping that little pink sticker on the item. :rolleyes:

Prince Xizor
09-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Speaking of "totally useless" employees, I don't like those people who hang out by the door to greet customers. :rolleyes:

Too many of them flat out ignore me, and while I'm actually happy about that, I kinda take offense because there's no reason to ignore me . . . I'm a nice guy ! :happy:

Oh, but if I have a return, they're all over me like a freaking hawk, slapping that little pink sticker on the item. :rolleyes:

Hey, I get ignored too. Damn old Ladies....

But there was this one time, when they put a young hot girl up there. I got TWO Happy Face Stickers.

Sinister Lord
09-18-2002, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread... so the story is that you went to the store and they didn't have what you wanted? OK, so what else is new? ...it happens all the time to all of us. Calling ahead is pointless exercise no matter who you talk to at any store. The only way to know whether the store has what you are looking for is to physically go there. So, big deal... you went and they didn't have it. Oh well... you move on. There isn't much point in discussing it at length.

And for the record, I disagree with the notion of calling an employee of any store "totally useless". That is an unfair characterization in my book. Darth Detori, imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, and someone posted a thread to an internet forum about how you were a "useless TRU employee" because for one reason or other you were unable to find a specific item for a single customer. I mean, think about it, when you were working there, how many customers did you deal with in the course of the day? Is an experience with one customer reflective of your entire job performance? Of course not.

stad
09-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Caesar nailed it right on the head! Talk about a waste! The annoying door-greeter, I still don't understand that. What, did I forget I was coming to Wal-Mart between when I parked my car and walked to the door? I don't get it.

Bib Forlobster
09-18-2002, 05:07 PM
I thought those people served dual purposes as greeters and security/receipt checkers. I've set those alarm things off so many times and am very rarely ever stopped.

The reason is because one Wal-Mart near me is part of a mall and it's just easier to get to Ciruit City by cutting through WM instead of using the mall entrance. When they deactivate the little security tags on DVDs, CDs, etc. for some reason the scanners in Circuit City don't go off, but the tags still set off the Wal-Mart scanners!!! This happens all the time and I'm usually stopped about once out of every ten times this happens.

Is the only purpose of these people to greet customers?

Also, does anyone else get that uncomfortable feeling when the door person sees you approaching the door about 10 seconds before you actually reach the door and they stand there staring at you? It's kind of like a pressure forming that you have to socialize with this stranger and you don't want to make any false moves. I don't know, maybe I just need help.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-18-2002, 05:20 PM
Yup, Bib Forlobster, i think you need some serious psychiatric therapy.

Working at Sams, we learned the philosophy of the door greeter is to basically, yeah, greet you. It's supposed to make you feel like you're surrounded by friends and stuff and to make you feel relaxed and whatnot. If it works, eh, sometimes. That's why they are there.

stillakid
09-18-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Yup, Bib Forlobster, i think you need some serious psychiatric therapy.

Working at Sams, we learned the philosophy of the door greeter is to basically, yeah, greet you. It's supposed to make you feel like you're surrounded by friends and stuff and to make you feel relaxed and whatnot. If it works, eh, sometimes. That's why they are there.

I think SSG needs an official greeter. Whose the oldest here?:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-18-2002, 11:45 PM

I think SSG needs an official greeter. Whose the oldest here?:D hahahhahahahah That's a bloody good idea!!! like as soon as you hit the site, like the avatar as well as their name pops up and says "hello!! welcome to Sir Steves guide!" hmmmmmmm, I wonder who is, the oldest here?

Dar' Argol
09-19-2002, 01:05 AM
Caesar nailed it right on the head! Talk about a waste! The annoying door-greeter, I still don't understand that. What, did I forget I was coming to Wal-Mart between when I parked my car and walked to the door? I don't get it.

Actually stad, you'd be suprised at how many customers try to pay for their things with a KMart credit card, or bring things in to return that belone to KMart, because that's where they thought they were!! I've seen it happen at least 4 times!! *shakes head*

2-1B
09-19-2002, 03:31 AM
Actually stad, you'd be suprised at how many customers try to pay for their things with a KMart credit card, or bring things in to return that belone to KMart, because that's where they thought they were!! I've seen it happen at least 4 times!! *shakes head*

Are these customers as old as the door greeters? :confused:

Nexu
09-19-2002, 07:24 AM
No, it happens all of the time. My mother does it, and I don't fully understand why. Returns, not paying. :)

Darth Detori
09-20-2002, 10:21 PM
well, at least they got the 'mart' part ;)

stillakid
09-20-2002, 10:48 PM
well, at least they got the 'mart' part ;)

Shop smart. Shop "S" mart. :)

Darth Detori
09-20-2002, 11:31 PM
hehe- excellent movie

LTBasker
09-20-2002, 11:57 PM
It just keeps going and going and going... :crazed:

I think the issue's been resolved, more or less, everybody who wanted to speak has spoken their peace, nothin to read here, except the overused joke at the top of my post, move along. :D

Darth Detori
09-21-2002, 12:23 AM
well hey, they finally got the gunships in! ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-21-2002, 01:51 AM
well hey, they finally got the gunships in! ;)

Now, are these the Republic Gunships from Hasbro or the LEGO Gunships? You didn't specifcy! ;) sorry, couldn't resist!! :D cheerio!!

plasticfetish
09-21-2002, 05:26 AM
Now that things have calmed down a bit ... I just wanted to say that I spoke to my Grammy today and she feels terrible about the whole incident. She told me that next time the young folk call on the telephone asking for the "Yoders" or the "Jangle Feets" and their fancy rocket ships, she'll try to do better. Grammy knows that Wal-Mart didn't get to the top of the Fortune 500 list for no reason ... and she doesn't want to be the one who messes it all up. Thanks Grammy! That's the spirit ... the spirit that made Wal-Mart and America #1!

... and Grammy ... May The Force Be With You!

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 10:02 AM
I got quite bored reading all the flames you people directed at him. so skipping to the end I add this.
If I was going to call and ask for a gunship, I expect the gunship, not lego, as I did not say "lego" so why is she looking in lego?

I've done retail at many places. and when I move, Im considering a second job at walmart or TRU - for a 2nd source of money, and mainly for the figs.
Now I understand the lady is old, she may have a hard time doing her job.. then she doesnt belong there. Ignorance is no excuse when it is your JOB. There are many people in this world who cannot handle the easiest of tasks, therefore, they do not belong there.
why is this old lady in toys? cashier maybe? ...
Now, on her bahalf. he did not specify "non-lego" so, what she did was marched around probably as quick as can be, as she's busting her *** for $6/hour and bam! she found the lego one. Well that this point.. shes stopped looking, scampers to the phone, all happy because she's felt like she has done him a good service. Stopping when she found the first thing that met the information she was given.
There was a definate lack of communication, understandable. If it was me, I perhaps would be thinking "plz don't be the lego one" and upon hearing "yes we have it" I would be so overjoyed, that the thought of "lego?" escaped my mind. fly down there only to be slapped in the face with a lego gunship! aaaahhhhhhhhh
ok, first step. get mad. 2nd step, realize the error and be ticked off still, as it could have been avoided. Then shop, or leave, and complain on your way home. :p

When I worked at ames, in toys, I knew my stuff. I was the head of the department and I was q-u-a-l-i-f-i-e-d, something a lot of people out there are l-a-c-k-i-n-g. People doing jobs they cannot handle.

A lot of walmart employee's are [EDITED]. I think there is a box on the application "are you a jerkoff?" Managers especially, they are useless 99% of the time, they give you some bs excuse and get you out of their face, even when you are in the nicest tone, the most civil manor, and you direct intelligent questions that are backed up with actual facts.
I couldn't care less if the toy employee collects, they should still know wtf they are working in, let alone the giant *** SW display in the front! (that has sence moved to a lesser important aisle) but its by the LOTR and HP stuff! wtf people!

They are ignorant to anything happening in their store, anything that will be happening in their store, or anything that happened 5 minutes ago in their store.
There is the exception, you know who you are. They go out of their way to help people, they try and not stop until they either find what the person is looking for, give them an alternate place "if you wanted to try target up the road, they *might* have it in, I'm not sure though" or offer them 'the inside knowledge' "we get shipment every night, and havent had anything *too new* come into toys yet, it could quite possibly come in with the next couple of days, but again Im not sure as we don't know what is there, until we open the boxes"

Dont give me an attitude with the one-liner thats in the training manual.....

One thing I will miss about moving from here. This one TRU. their sw display was right as you walked in, double sided fixture that was well stocked, and neatly kept. It has sence moved, however remains true to how it once was (only a little smaller)
I would go in quite often when I got off of work (sometimes day after day for a 3 or 4) If it wasnt on the shelf, AND there was a bit of empty peg space, I would politely ask, and state I was a collector, "Hi, I collect the starwars line and come by every other day, if not every day in some instances" (they see me, and remember me) "Looks like some of the stuff is selling down, and I was wondering if you had anything new come in?" so she, if it was the customer service girl, or she - if I asked the electronics girl, or the 2 floor guys would either a) call (if it was one of the girls) which would lead to the guys bringing up 3 to 5 cases, or if it was a guy, they would bring up to 5 out, depending on how much they had.
I found everything up to 38 that I could not find anywhere.. from these people that went out of their way to help a single customer (a guy I work with did this to, only he sells the "rare" stuff at his fleamarket stands... quote of the day? 'I just sold my last yoda for $40' when he said that I wanted to knock his teeth out.) anyways...
They would bring the cases up, I'd wait patiently, thank them at least twice, check the new stuff, and anything I saw, I took what I needed / wanted and left at least 1 of the "new" figs there. Also I always pegged what I did not get. If I didnt need the case boxes for storage at that time, I would give the empties to the customer service girl, if I needed them, I asked if I could take them. and told whoever, that I put everything that I didnt need on the peg already. While waiting, I touched up the displays, figure sitting on the shelf instead of pegged, I hung it up.
Also the one walmart is rather decent, 3 guys their collect so when you get into conversation with them, they give you the run down. Which is good, but not always good as your competing :D
they are all cool, and minus the one manager? maybe just a guy there to supervise the aisle shift... every toy employee there tries there best, and they do a good job. I appreciate how they handle things there and go to that store before I go to the other wm's.

bottom line, if you are nice, and considerate of them, and their "crappy" job, that I have experianced on numerous occassions, then they will return the favor for you. There is always the exception though. for instance the employee who hasnt a clue.

enough rant, good hunting, and try to remain calm when you think you've hit a gold mine and make sure to say the specifics.
Especially if they dont seem like they are the "employee of the week"
If the employee gives you the run around, just take your business elsewhere. Don't huff and puff at them, you're only wasting their time, and giving them a great conversation piece for their next break.
oh, and for god sakes don't tick the lay-a-way people off.. They could smash yer stuff! :stupid:
gl hf gg :)

Mod Note: Posting around the Auto Censor is not allowed. Word Removed
DA

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 10:03 AM
plasticfetish, that post is hilarious :D

*gives grammy 2 thumbs up* :p

Nexu
09-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Yeah, go ahead and fire it up again. :rolleyes:

Dar' Argol
09-21-2002, 01:02 PM
I am not saying DD was right, nor the old woman, I am saying that his attitude towards that woman was what offended me. Its true that not all WM employees are the model of retail sales, but she did technically answered your question. And IF it was a new item they just got in . . . . . unless she put it on the shelf, she might not have seen it that day yet. BUT, she knew we had the Lego version for months. So unless she saw the new one, she would not have known about it, therefore she would have had no reason to ask. That's all I'm trying to say . . . . . :D

:rolleyes: Sometimes I really wish ppl WOULD read all the posts before replying. *sigh*;) :D

QLD
09-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Wal-Mart has so much stuff, and they have their employees all over the place, I don't think it's possible for them to know everything they have, and where it is.

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 04:43 PM
sorry about the offending word, I thought all of them were taken out. my bad :(
oh i know which one, sorry won't happen again.

- I know, I was just venting off steam as I've had quite the amount of jerk customers (when working retail) and quite the amount of jerk employees. So I wasnt meaning to side with either person, although I did try to say that I think she might have tried her best and when she found the lego one, she might have felt like she had did a good job helping him.

So anything that anyone interrpreted that I was attacking her, no I wasnt, *employee's in general*

Also, I would have read the whole thread (always do) but it was just bashing the poor guy for getting mad at gram's :p so I skipped and vented. I do apologize :)

Nexu: I added an opinion, and if you can't handle that, I apologize for that to.

[edit]: I did read your post DA :p

Nexu
09-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Darth forb1us
Also, I would have read the whole thread (always do) but it was just bashing the poor guy for getting mad at gram's :p

Nexu: I added an opinion, and if you can't handle that, I apologize for that to.

Maybe if you had read the thread you would have seen that we actually weren't downing her because she's elderly. Jeez. Read what we said before you comment on it. Seems pretty straight-foward to me. :rolleyes:

Jedi Master Silas
09-21-2002, 05:03 PM
I like my local Wally world employees. I've found that they are collectors to of various toys so while toy hunting for myself at various stores I find out what they (the employees) need for there collections and keep an eye out...they do the same for me when shipments come in at Wal Mart.

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Darth forb1us
I got quite bored reading all the flames you people directed at him. so skipping to the end I add this.

The whole first page, and then some was you people flaming him.

Also, I would have read the whole thread (always do) but it was just bashing the poor guy for getting mad at gram's

Do you have anything else terribly intelligent to add?
Oh wait theres this...

you would have seen that we actually weren't downing her because she's elderly

No. wrong -> again <- You people were bashing him.

*goes to examine if the ignore feature is the same as other forums*

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 05:09 PM
and Im glad I didnt read the whole thing. before I felt like my time had been wasted (again) I read up to post #40.
up to that there was nothing but flame (and some non-flame)
2nd, after that was "over" who knows if it continued later.. You people decided to bicker amongst yourselves....

Nexu
09-21-2002, 05:24 PM
You, are an idiot. Wow. You read the first 40 posts. Try reading the other 40 you moron. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bottom line, don't post your opinion on something you didn't read.

Darth Detori
09-21-2002, 05:45 PM
actually the 'bickering' pretty much ended around post 40, and then it got into intelligent discussion. it seems it's back to bickering again, but more disronic is that it's bickering ABOUT bickering

Nexu
09-21-2002, 05:52 PM
:)

stad
09-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Do any of you guys have the Star Wars Republic Gunship?

2-1B
09-21-2002, 09:13 PM

Lego or Saga? :confused:

Beast
09-21-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Caesar
Lego or Saga? :confused:
There's a Lego one? I didn't know that when I called. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2002, 10:47 PM
If you find yourself consistently frustrated by know-nothing employees, then just wait some years. Your problems will be alleviated.

Before you know it stores will have giant computer screens, listing their merchandise that you can look up. No need to deal with a human.

The same thing goes for those checkout lines. Look at what some K-marts implemented last year. Checkout lines without cashiers. Just pay a computer and leave. Technology, these days!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-22-2002, 12:31 AM
If you find yourself consistently frustrated by know-nothing employees, then just wait some years. Your problems will be alleviated.

Before you know it stores will have giant computer screens, listing their merchandise that you can look up. No need to deal with a human.

The same thing goes for those checkout lines. Look at what some K-marts implemented last year. Checkout lines without cashiers. Just pay a computer and leave. Technology, these days! lol I hear ya LBC. Lemme add that K-Mart just NOW got those Self checkout things which have been around for at least a year or 2 now. Lemme be the first to welcome K-Mart to 1999. Party Over, oops outta time!

stad
09-22-2002, 01:26 AM
No kidding, Kroger and Meijer has had them for a few years now!

plasticfetish
09-22-2002, 04:54 AM
The same thing goes for those checkout lines. Look at what some K-marts implemented last year. Checkout lines without cashiers. Just pay a computer and leave. Technology, these days!

First it's checkout with no cashiers and then the next thing you know the robots are ruling the earth and we're all living in bathtubs with wires coming out of our heads ... dreaming that we're standing in line at K-mart for two hours, waiting to buy some socks wishing that there was computerized checkout or something to speed things up.

Beast
09-22-2002, 04:59 AM
How do we know that hasn't already happened? It begs the question, are we the dreamers or the dream? Is there something on some sort of different plane of existance that just dreamed us into being? And what happens when they wake up? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stad
09-23-2002, 04:57 PM
When they wake up we will still be here, just Star Wars will be gone! Or maybe Star Trek, hmm...

QLD
09-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Think of how many jobs were lost because of those automatic cash registers?

Ok, don't think about it. ;)

Darth forb1us
09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Think of how many hours have been saved from wasting, as endless amount of people have been able to get through the checkout line with minimum hassel :D

On a serious note: I LOVE self checkouts. mainly 1) since I do a set of MOC, I can make sure my stuff does not get squished into a bag by a disgruntled employee :(