PDA

View Full Version : No Doug Chiang?????

Jedi Master Silas
09-15-2002, 05:05 PM
I was very shocked to see Doug Chiang will not be part of the team for EP3. What a loss of talent....do you think this will effect EP3 from a creative standpoint...or from any standpoint for that matter?

I wonder if the designs will be less extravagant now.

I'm very anxious to get input on the subject :)

Chewtobacco
09-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Doug was slacking off through most of Ep 2, so he was fired.

His big contribution to AOTC was that part where C3PO's head got whacked off and placed on a battle droid and then had a battle droid's head put on his body.

just kidding. You were anxious to get input on the subject though. :)

Jedi Master Silas
09-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Ummmmm hahah ok whatever.

JediTricks
09-17-2002, 11:55 PM
Honestly, I didn't like Chiang's design aesthetic so I'm not sorry to see him go. I thought he brought the wrong feel to the films with looks that were too... I don't know how to explain it, too "sweepy", too "wispy", not enough back-history.

2-1B
09-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Chewtobacco
His big contribution to AOTC was that part where C3PO's head got whacked off and placed on a battle droid and then had a battle droid's head put on his body.

Whoever was behind that should be fired ! :D

chewie
09-19-2002, 01:17 AM
This final prequel movie will probably have more to do with original trilogy designs than the others. I assume we'll be seeing Y-Wings with their original armor plating and a few other very OT designs.

Doug Chiang certainly did not create anything that I thought looked like it much belonged in the Star Wars universe. The thing I liked the least is how many prequel trilogy ships look quite similar to modern day earthly aircraft or designs taken from old sci-fi movies. While this may have been Lucas's intention, most ships, IMO, just didn't have the same spark of creativity as the ships of the original trilogy.

jedibear
09-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Actually, I've enjoyed Chaing's work on the saga immensely....

Whenever I read or hear someone complaining about his style not fitting into the SW galaxy very well, I always have that wistful rememberance of Obi-Wan Kenobi from ANH when he's giving Luke the lightsaber....I paraphrase: "...from a more civilized time...before the dark times...before the Empire"....

Like so much in the SW universe, the designs are strange, yet famaliar. Look at how the fifties & sixties were for us....all "futuristic" curves & chrome...oversized & comfort-laden. Fin-accented & sweeping....
The prequels are taking place at an earlier time...a time when art was indulged into everything....from architecture to vehicles to clothing. The Republic was rich, optimistic (on the surface anyway) and self-indulgent. Different cultures infused their contributions to design (be it war machines, ships or buildings) with a flash of their own ethnicity (the Nemoidians insect-like transport ships, the Geonosian's arena to name a few)
It is a time when form not only follows function, but does so with style....
By the time the Empire is well-established....vehicles & buildings had lost any artistic bent and were made strickly for ulitarian purposes....not thought or consideration for beauty or culture...hence all the drab grays of the Death Stars & Star Destroyers & even the Rebels have no time to indulge their creative side with their hyper-functional equipment.
(Very much like we looked in the drab '70s with our blocky suburbs and boxey cars....making a feeble attempt at conservation and pure function)
I bring all this up to illustrate how perfectly Chaing has followed this kind of path with his elegant designs for Episode One & Two. Naboo is a pure representation of a society at the height of craftsmanship & style. The Kaminoians, with their sterile, hyperfuturistic cloaning facilities are the ultimate in beauty with function. The Gunguns are the ultimate in blending nature with art to create their beautiful city that not only uses the enviroment respectfully, but enhances it's beauty as well. It's the era before the fall....before evil corrupts the beauty with a sense of "order" and grey comformity.
Doug Chaing has fulfilled Lucas's vision while helping to tell the whole story through art. I'll miss his contributions to the saga, but he's leaving behind a great group of artists like the fantastic Ian McCaig and Ryan Chruch...who along with Erik Teimens, brought the stunning moody enviroments in AOTC to life.
I think Mr. Chaing's contributions at the end of the day will be viewed right up there with Ralph McQuarrie & Joe Johnston.
The entire Star Wars saga is not only an exercise in mythic storytelling, but an artistic journey as well...and sparked an interest in me in art that is still going to this day...art is the true heart of the saga for me.

Thanks Doug.....& may the force be with you!

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by jedibear
Actually, I've enjoyed Chaing's work on the saga immensely....

Whenever I read or hear someone complaining about his style not fitting into the SW galaxy very well, I always have that wistful rememberance of Obi-Wan Kenobi from ANH when he's giving Luke the lightsaber....I paraphrase: "...from a more civilized time...before the dark times...before the Empire"....

Like so much in the SW universe, the designs are strange, yet famaliar. Look at how the fifties & sixties were for us....all "futuristic" curves & chrome...oversized & comfort-laden. Fin-accented & sweeping....
The prequels are taking place at an earlier time...a time when art was indulged into everything....from architecture to vehicles to clothing. The Republic was rich, optimistic (on the surface anyway) and self-indulgent. Different cultures infused their contributions to design (be it war machines, ships or buildings) with a flash of their own ethnicity (the Nemoidians insect-like transport ships, the Geonosian's arena to name a few)
It is a time when form not only follows function, but does so with style....
By the time the Empire is well-established....vehicles & buildings had lost any artistic bent and were made strickly for ulitarian purposes....not thought or consideration for beauty or culture...hence all the drab grays of the Death Stars & Star Destroyers & even the Rebels have no time to indulge their creative side with their hyper-functional equipment.
(Very much like we looked in the drab '70s with our blocky suburbs and boxey cars....making a feeble attempt at conservation and pure function)
I bring all this up to illustrate how perfectly Chaing has followed this kind of path with his elegant designs for Episode One & Two. Naboo is a pure representation of a society at the height of craftsmanship & style. The Kaminoians, with their sterile, hyperfuturistic cloaning facilities are the ultimate in beauty with function. The Gunguns are the ultimate in blending nature with art to create their beautiful city that not only uses the enviroment respectfully, but enhances it's beauty as well. It's the era before the fall....before evil corrupts the beauty with a sense of "order" and grey comformity.
Doug Chaing has fulfilled Lucas's vision while helping to tell the whole story through art. I'll miss his contributions to the saga, but he's leaving behind a great group of artists like the fantastic Ian McCaig and Ryan Chruch...who along with Erik Teimens, brought the stunning moody enviroments in AOTC to life.
I think Mr. Chaing's contributions at the end of the day will be viewed right up there with Ralph McQuarrie & Joe Johnston.
The entire Star Wars saga is not only an exercise in mythic storytelling, but an artistic journey as well...and sparked an interest in me in art that is still going to this day...art is the true heart of the saga for me.

Thanks Doug.....& may the force be with you!

I pretty much agree with JB on this word for word.

I remember so many people pointing out how the first prequel looked so "un star wars", I always a ssumed that was the point. To watch the slow decay of the old republic to what we see in the OT. All darkness and industrial revolution esque looking. I enjoyed Chiangs work....but agree that it probably would not fit into the final prequel.

bigbarada
10-06-2002, 01:37 PM
I thought Ep1 had an amazing visual feel. Much better than anything I had seen in the OT. AOTC was also great, but somehow missing that magical spark that was achieved in TPM.

So what is the official word on why Chiang will not be a part of Ep3? I'm sorry to see him go.:(

evenflow
10-07-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns

I pretty much agree with JB on this word for word.

I remember so many people pointing out how the first prequel looked so "un star wars", I always a ssumed that was the point. To watch the slow decay of the old republic to what we see in the OT. All darkness and industrial revolution esque looking. I enjoyed Chiangs work....but agree that it probably would not fit into the final prequel.

I pretty much agree with this as well. I always looked at it as they were in power and had the money and everything else to have nice ships and all that stuff. In the OT they were rebels, hiding using whatever they could. Looking clean and expensive isnt that important.

sunblind
11-03-2002, 01:52 PM
I liked his work too. But I am glad to see him go. I mean, we need to start seeing a different look to the star wars world now that things are getting closer to a new hope. and you know as well as i do ,that the look of things dont look to simular to what is in I & II.. yeah... i cant wait to see what new art direction will go in.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-04-2002, 03:24 PM
First of all,

SUNBLIND WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR AVATAR???!!!???!!!

Secondly, I'm not crushed to hear he's not gonna be there for III. He'd be making the wrong kinds of things, wrong for III anyway. His work will probably be seen in 2005 (like the N1, for example), but only briefly (maybe - I have no idea).

Deoxyribonucleic
11-04-2002, 03:46 PM
He is talented, I'll definitely give him that, but I did not like his style and artwork all that much and will be glad to see someone else's art. :cool:

good shot jansen
11-06-2002, 10:26 AM
i completely agree with you jedibear. i view chiangs artistic direction for ep's I and II exactly how you worded it.

since viewing the entire saga after seeing aotc this spring, certain elements from the ot, are a nice bridge to the prequal artistic feel. most notably is bespin. a city in the clouds, with a holdover architectural feel from another era.

episode III will (and should) have more of a ot feel to it. (possibly the return of ralph mcquarrie to the star wars fold?)

i feel that doug chiang did a fabulous job with the 2 movies, and only wish him the best!

AREK-WAN
11-10-2002, 09:29 AM
COULD MCQUARRIE ACTUALLY COME BACK FOR EP III? HOW OLD IS HE?

CHAINGS WORK WAS VERY BESPIN LIKE, AT THE CLOSE OF EP II WE SAW THE BIRTHING OF THE "EMPIRE", POSSIBLY MCQUARRIE COULD COME BACK FOR ONE MOVIE.