PDA

View Full Version : Gi Joe Sculpts (3 3/4 inch)

Jedi Master Silas
09-15-2002, 05:56 PM
I hated the brand spanking new Joe sculpts they came out with (GI Joe vs. Cobra) BUT!!! I've noticed that the new ones I' have found this week have better sculpts...much like the old school joes with the bands inside. It looks like some have the crappy no band design on one figure in the newer packs and the other figure made with the band. I also just found Scarlett and Zartan with totally different sculpts then I've seen so far...anyone notice??? Anyone know whats up with the design change or which design and sculpt they might stay with???

Dark Knight
09-15-2002, 06:50 PM
I do believe that the new design are here to stay.

Lman316
09-15-2002, 07:35 PM
I seem to be the only one who liked the other version of them. Granted, some were a little thick in the middle, but I just liked the look of them better than what we had had in the 80's, and that O-ring really isn't anything special - it's just a rubber band.
Anyway, my reasons for liking the other version of the new GI Joes are: first the hands. I always hated the hands on the 80's Joes. You have to turn the weapon to fit it in their hands and try to twist it around to get it to go straight. It always looked stupid when their arms were straight out, but the weapons were pointing left or right... And I also like the fact that the others just look sturdier. I don't know. I saw pictures of the newest waves in Toyfare, and they just look cheap. I will have to make a final judgement when I see them in person, though...
Another thing I don't like is that I've already purchased the other figures and now they're changing the sculpt. The new figures don't really match up with those earlier released. They're going to look like garabage when they're put together now. However, I did hear that they will probably be re-releasing all those figures from the first waves with new sculpts (first up is Cobra Commander), but that means that I have to buy those all over again. I don't see that to be very fair.
All this for a lousy, little, black rubber band? I just don't get it.
I do hope that the new versions are good, as I've yet to find one. So, maybe I'll post different when I finally find some...

End...

TheFrankEinstein
09-15-2002, 11:59 PM
I couldn't be happier that they're putting the O-ring back in. If you question its importance, try standing the O-ringless Snake Eyes up. Uh huh :) .

As for the redesigns, I don't know how hot I am on them. Duke looks like a grunt, Storm Shadow looks like a dork, and Snake Eyes looks like a piece of garbage. Why can't we just have some resculpts of the old designs? At least of the two ninja? Dusty and Shipwreck have looked cool in the photos I've seen, and Scarlett looks like a vast improvement over the "It's Pat!" '82 version, but they oughta leave Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow at their 2nd and 1st release designs, respectively.

Eternal Padawan
09-16-2002, 07:38 AM
The new Snake-Eyes was supposed to have PURPLE highlights on the costume. Thankfully, SOMEBODY at Hasbro is still a fan of this line and slapped whoever made that decision, so he'll be sleek and black, with gray highlights. He comes with the retooled Cobra Commander, so it'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Who misses the file cards on the back? They put them on the vehicles (Dusty, Neo-Viper) and the 12" dollies (Duke, Nunchuk, etc) but nothing for the regular carded fellows. That sucketh mightily...

ROLLO!

Lman316
09-16-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Who misses the file cards on the back? They put them on the vehicles (Dusty, Neo-Viper) and the 12" dollies (Duke, Nunchuk, etc) but nothing for the regular carded fellows. That sucketh mightily...

ROLLO!

I don't know if you know this (you probably do and I'm just offering useless information :p), but the smaller figures do come with file cards. They're just inside in the package.
However, what you said, is more than likely what you meant: that you wanted to see them on the back. So, forgive this post if I'm just rambling about what you already knew, EP :crazed:.

End...

Exhaust Port
09-16-2002, 10:34 AM
I was looking at the figures this weekend at TRU and found some of the new stuff pretty interesting. The worst sculpt has to be Destro's face. Argh, he looks constipated.

Jedi Master Silas
09-16-2002, 03:58 PM
LOL @ Destros need for X-lax. It wasnt that I was downing the new body style but I dont like the lack of waist articulation that the bands give. So let me see if i have this right....first they made the solid waist...then went to the bands with an old school type sculpt...now they are going to bands with a new longer body sculpt?? Am i right??

RooJay
09-16-2002, 07:18 PM
When I first heard of the relaunch of A Real American Hero I was excited. When I first saw the prototypes of the new Joes, I was even more juiced. I showed the photos to my younger brother, who is an even bigger Joe fan than I, and he was far less impressed. He said that he thought they sucked, and would prefer that they just scrapped the idea completely! I told him that when they were finally released he'd see how cool they really were, and he'd change his mind about them.
BOY...was I ever wrong! Not about my brother changing his mind, and liking them; he thought they were kind of decent afterall and went out and bought a whole set, but that they would turn out to be cool. I really changed my tune when I saw the finished product! I thought they were horrible, and unworthy the G.I.Joe name. The designs seemed way off the mark to me, especially Destro (What were they thinking?!)! The others were just shy of being unrecognizable! The Gung-** I knew had a handlebar mustache and a big USMC tattoo on his chest (I'm sure he still does under his shirt), and since when were these guys all so buff? I thought, how big is Roadblock going to be?! The sculpts, while certainly detailed, seemed far too bulky, juvenile (and much too reminiscent of that awful G.I.Joe Extreme line!), and just plain unispired. There didn't seem to be much character at all to them, which is what made the original line so cool. I haven't even mentioned yet how much I despise the design for the Neo-Vipers (I really wish the comic had ignored these guys! The old school Vipers still look way cooler than the guys that are supposed to be replacing them!). The second series has since been released, and aside from the reuse of old sculpts (Big Ben), the fact that Zartan thoroughly sucks (not only does he look like crap, he doesn't change color!!!), the inclusion of repaints of first wave figures (there's that crappy Neo-Viper again...and in uglier colors, no less! And look...another version of the boring CLAWS sculpt!), some poorly concieved paint schemes (why is Dusty's outfit so dark, and what is there in the desert that is red or day-glo yellow for him to blend into?!), the second series still manages to be a bit of an improvement over the first wave with the inclusion of great designs/ sculpts for old school favorites Stalker and Scarlet, and the return of the o-ring (which is, by the way, something special. Not just a black rubberband, but added, and much appreciated ariculation, as well as one of the touches that made the original so distinctive). I now see photo's of the next upcoming wave in the latest issue of Toyfare, and I have to admit that it seems they are at least headed in the right direction. Granted, the new design for The Baroness sucks to no end, but most of the upcoming figures look like something we might've seen from the original line at the height of its quality and popularity! I'm dying to get my hands on the new Snake Eyes! Shipwreck's new design looks awesome! The new Snow Serpent kicks major booty (though he looks more like a Joe than a Cobra t me)! The original Blowtorch should've been as cool as the new one! Flint looks much cooler now than he did in the old line! Dr. Mindbender and Beachhea...well, they look prett much like they aways did, which is still a good thing. I have renewed hope for this line. Of course, it's probably only a matter of time until Hasbro starts to screw it up all over again!

Lman316
09-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
The new Snake-Eyes was supposed to have PURPLE highlights on the costume. Thankfully, SOMEBODY at Hasbro is still a fan of this line and slapped whoever made that decision, so he'll be sleek and black, with gray highlights. He comes with the retooled Cobra Commander, so it'll be killing two birds with one stone.

ROLLO!

Actually, I just read in Toyfare that they will be releasing the new Snake-Eyes with the purple and gray highlights. However, it will be limited to the first couple hundred or so, and everything afterwards will be the black and gray.
What is with every company and variants these days (mmmm, could it be....:greedy: )? He-Man, GI Joe, Star Wars...enough's enough!

End...

icatch9
09-17-2002, 08:19 AM
The GI Joe desighner that works for Hasbro said tha they thought the new body style would have better play value for the modern kid. They rubber band is sort of out dated. Anyway they were wrong and collectors of Joes united a complaining front and got them changed to the old way (rubber bands). Still some got out with the new crappy style. All the new sculps and characters will have the rubber band. Unless they were made for the first run.

GI Joe is haveing trouble getting off the ground again becasue they don't have a new cartoon or new movies pushing them like Star Wars and Transormers Armada. Sure they have a new comic, but that doesn't reach the audience a movie or cartoon does. They may have a new cartoon eventually, but in July nothing was in the works, and I don't know if anything has changed.

I got all this from the GI Joe desighner at Wizard World in Chicago a couple of months ago :D.

dingodad
09-18-2002, 08:41 AM
The new helicopter looks very cartoonish in the package, but a friend of mine showed me one out of the package and i quickly changed my opinion of it. the new hiss IV is equally lame in or out of the package.it looks like a he-man vehicle.

Jedi Master Silas
09-18-2002, 01:50 PM
I dont like the new vehicles although I have to admit I bought the first 2 (Destros and Ummm whats his name, its the jeep thingy mah gigger) Anyway, I like the old school vehicles that look more like the real deal...not cartoonish.

RooJay
09-18-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
Actually, I just read in Toyfare that they will be releasing the new Snake-Eyes with the purple and gray highlights. However, it will be limited to the first couple hundred or so, and everything afterwards will be the black and gray.
What is with every company and variants these days (mmmm, could it be....:greedy: )? He-Man, GI Joe, Star Wars...enough's enough!

End...

That's one variant I couldn't care less about. The figure looks like major crap in the purpl/ gray color scheme. They can keep him. He looks awesomein the black color scheme! Can't wait to get him!

One other thing that I dislike about the new Joe line (that I had forgotten to mention previously) is the stupid two-pack concept! Sure, in a way it makes or good value, but too many of the figures that I really like are paired together with other figures that I really hate! Plus, the only way it's currently possible to build an army of any given Cobra trooper is to also build an army of Dusty's and other distinctive Joe characters! This might make for better idea if the generic Cobra soldiers came packaged only with generic Joe soldiers like those designed for the new comic series. I think Hasbro is really limiting themselves in this way. A lot of collectors, and even a good number of kids would be willing to buy multiples of these generic soldiers except for the fact that they, at present, have to also buy multiples of distinctie characters as well. Besides, the packaging on the new line is horrible! I really, REALLY miss the old style packaging where each figure had his own card with a nicely painted portrait of the character on it (the current style card art is really a shame when compared to those old painted character images!), and where you were better able to pick and choose which figures you would buy, and which ones you'd pass on. Who doesn't miss the old style file cards too?

thespar
09-18-2002, 09:48 PM
i loved how hasbro use to the gi joe package. the good old day of the 80 where alot us had no worries beside what group of toys did you want to play with. as far as the new sculpts i perfered the old style.