PDA

View Full Version : Tales #9: Vader vs. Maul

preacher
10-11-2001, 01:52 PM
Maul vs. Vader. Pretty cool. It turned out the way I knew it would. The story was very interesting too. The last statement Vader made for some reason really made feel for the guy. I would elaborate more but I don't want to spoil anything. Give it a read to see the contrast in character between Maul and Vader.

bigbarada
10-25-2001, 05:30 PM
I was very disappointed with the super-hyped Vader vs. Maul duel in SW Tales #9. Without giving away who won (someone else can do that) I must say I felt Darth Maul was poorly represented.

To begin with I'm rooting for Vader, but in order for his victory/defeat to seem legit then both characters should act at least similar to their movie counterparts. Maul never backed off or hesitated in Ep1, so why does he do it here? Maul never talked in Ep1, so why does he suddenly develop diarrhea of the mouth in this book? Barely a panel goes by during the fight that he's not spouting off some taunt.

On a positive note, I was very happy with the art. Rick Leonardi has long been one of my favorites, ever since his Spider-Man days (he designed the short-lived black costume); although he does seem to be showing his age a little with his art in this book. His storytelling and composition are still top notch but the accuracy of the characters and equipment is a little wanting.
As for the story itself, it's contrived by default but not nearly as contrived as I expected. It even introduces a cool new Dark Side power.

Overall, though, very disappointing. Too bad, it could have been the coolest story of the year.:(

bigbarada
10-25-2001, 05:35 PM
Sorry, preacher, I didn't notice your thread when I wrote mine about Tales #9. Didn't mean to steal your thunder.

I too felt a little sorry for Vader, it seemed that his confidence in the Emperor was badly shaken.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-25-2001, 07:25 PM
No need to apologize, BB, for it is I, Bel-Cam Jos, Moderator of this Section, who has saved you from embarassment! Or, just merged yours with this thread. ;)

PloKoon2385
10-26-2001, 05:03 PM
I thought it was awesome! I predicted Vader was going to win. I am not saying if he did or not. But it took me a long time to come up with that conclusion. I looked at it this way: Vader is the chosen one, lots o midichlorians! Maul is strong in the Force, very good combatant, but stupid and not very clever. Vader is smart and keen. Maul is overpowering and fast. Vader is slow and thinks about his moves. Maul relies on instinct. Vader destroyed all of the Jedi, or most of them. Maul could have, but was destroyed by a Padawan. Vader killed that Padawan. Maul is pure evil and loves to destroy. Vader seems more reserved and does his Masters wishes, not just to destroy. Maul is deeply devoted to Palpatine, so is Vader (until son distracted him.) Vader has a weak soul, Maul is rock hard hatred. And it goes on and on. So, as you can see, it took me quite a long while to decide who would win. I dont know what you would've guessed, but I see them as pretty equal. So who do you think would win?:confused:

bigbarada
10-30-2001, 09:50 PM
I pick Vader for all the reasons you listed Plo Koon 2385. He is much smarter and cunning than Darth Maul. He is also capable of operating solo, without his master, something we never really saw Maul do too well. The only real argument I've seen for people picking Maul is based on the fighting moves he displayed in Ep1. But who says Vader would allow Maul to get close enough to use his ballet moves?

BTW, I still owe you a drawing of your namesake, Plo Koon 2385 (well, without the 2385). Don't worry I haven't forgotten.

PloKoon2385
10-31-2001, 07:12 PM
Thanks! It would be really cool if you drew Plo Koon. And, you are right, Maul can't really think for himself, though I'd never tell him.

Jargo
11-02-2001, 08:59 PM
Well, the artwork is spiffy to a degree. The story IMO was weak and lacked any power and punch. There was no tension and the premise of the story seemed weakest of all. Plus it name checked that bloody Bane character! GRRRR! Palpatine came off as weak and incompetent. Vader seemed like a big kittycat. maul was just as lame as in the movie which was very disappointing. To be honest I didn't expect to enjoy this concoction and I wasn't really surprised at how it turned out, I just bought it to keep my tales collection up to date. I actually prefered the lollipops tale. That was more entertaining for the fact that it introduced Maul to Palpatine and tried to make sense of a little backstory that actually had something ralating to the films.

bigbarada
11-03-2001, 02:09 PM
I guess we all know now how Maul got his rotten teeth: too many lollipops!:D

mrhat
11-03-2001, 08:07 PM
Yeah, predidlyictable, i bought it today, so i could see "the fight to end all" But isnt it interesting that ani was like 9-10 in TPM and Darth Maul was 20 something, wouldnt Maul be like realllly old, if he came back?

Anyway, that last comic was sad, the 4 superheroes, SAD, they were never developed into a good rebel team. :( was that new, or an older undeveloped comic?

SAD SAD SAD

I also got the latest Toyfare there.

Darth Evil
11-09-2001, 02:20 PM
You're so lucky, you people seem to have loads of SW comics where you live, all I can find is the occasional graphic novel!

bigbarada
11-09-2001, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mrhat
Anyway, that last comic was sad, the 4 superheroes, SAD, they were never developed into a good rebel team. :( was that new, or an older undeveloped comic?

SAD SAD SAD

Actually it was a knod to the old Jack Kirby Fantastic Four comics from the 60's. I really liked how they recreated the old four-color look of those comics, brings back memories. If you look at the names of each character they are not-so-subtle twists on the FF's names or slogans.

Sith Worm
11-14-2001, 07:02 PM
So what the final say buy or don't buy is it worth it? I didn't know there was Maul vs. Vader. When I read the first post I almost wet myself and ran to buy the comic , but you all seem to have diffrent opinions so buy or no buy...

mrhat
11-14-2001, 07:09 PM
I would reccomended it, the artwork is breathtaking, the PlotLine is a bit Artistic, and Dramtic, The Ending is predictable though, but a bit confusing. If you have 5.99 to spend, its not a bad investment, it is the most anticipated Tales to date.

Sith Worm
11-18-2001, 10:54 AM
Thank you mrhat! I will run to buy it and wet myself when I read it...

OC47150
11-26-2001, 07:42 AM
After much searching, I finally found Tales #9 on Friday. The Vader/Maul story alone was worth the wait. Great artwork, great possibilities.

The rest of the stories could've been better.