PDA

View Full Version : Holstering the Sabers

stillakid
09-16-2002, 10:23 PM
This is kind of an across the saga question, but the prequels make it more obvious.

How, exactly, are the lightsabers attached to a Jedi? In TPM, Qui Gon and Obi do a couple of quick moves that suggest a gunslinger dropping the six-shooter back in the holster. On other photos, it appears as though there are hooks of some kind. Now the quick re-holstering could work with a hook mechanism I suppose, but wouldn't it hinder a "quick draw" as they also are prone to do?

Insights?

derek
09-16-2002, 10:46 PM
in the prequil trology, there is a "round clip" on the side of the saber that slides onto a matching recepticle on the belt.

and in the original trilogy, there is a ring that is attached to the end of the saber, and it hangs loosely to a belt clip.

Vortex
09-16-2002, 10:59 PM
I vote for 2 options.

A) The force keeps it up...you never see a fat jedi in a belt do you?

or

B) Magnets!

stillakid
09-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by derek
in the prequil trology, there is a "round clip" on the side of the saber that slides onto a matching recepticle on the belt.

and in the original trilogy, there is a ring that is attached to the end of the saber, and it hangs loosely to a belt clip.

None of those appear to be visible when Jedi are using them. :confused: (ie, Gantry scene in ROTJ)

Darkross
09-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

None of those appear to be visible when Jedi are using them. :confused: (ie, Gantry scene in ROTJ)

True...but perhaps when Luke is boarding the Gantry...his arms are coupled by the Magno-Cuffs...thus they would be obstructing the view of his belt clip.

derek
09-17-2002, 03:02 PM
what's a "gantry"? if the belt attachments are not always visable, it's probably a stunt saber that does not have the clip on it.:)

here is obi-wan's saber:

derek
09-17-2002, 03:05 PM
here is lukes saber. vader and old ben's sabers have similar attachments, except one of vaders sabers hung with the emitter facing up.

if you saw a still from the film without this triangle belt ring, it was probably one of the many ROTJ luke sabers that were used in the film. none are exactly the same.:)

derek
09-17-2002, 03:16 PM
here is a photo of the belt attachment used by luke, obi wan and vader in the original trilogy:

stillakid
09-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Thanks Derek, that's exactly what I was getting at. I assumed that a stunt version was used for holstering while another was used for actually fighting.

But I'm most interested in how the Episode I sabers were supposed to work. Qui Gon whips his off his hip quite quickly and then de-engergizes it and re-holsters it with the same intensity. What kind of hooking mechanism would allow this to happen?

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 01:04 AM
I believe the prequel sabers are held on with a British PDA-holder known as a Covertec clip, the round disc on the saber fits into a corresponding slot on a small black box on a Jedi's belt (many of the prequel Jedi figs have this box sculpted to them). In the SW universe, the prequel sabers do not have fully-internal recharging systems and the holster boxes are also recharging stations; however by the classic trilogy's time, a lightsaber's recharging is handled completely internally and so the Jedi of that time only need an uncomplicated D-ring which attaches to a wide silver hook bent around the belt (I believe this is another British device, a paper-sorting clip or something like that).

The sabers of both times seem to stay in their belt spots mainly by sheer force of will, though it's actually harder than you think to get saber hilts to fly off your belt using this sort of equipment.

Lord Malakite
09-18-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Thanks Derek, that's exactly what I was getting at. I assumed that a stunt version was used for holstering while another was used for actually fighting.

But I'm most interested in how the Episode I sabers were supposed to work. Qui Gon whips his off his hip quite quickly and then de-engergizes it and re-holsters it with the same intensity. What kind of hooking mechanism would allow this to happen?

They could be using velcro. :D

derek
09-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Qui Gon whips his off his hip quite quickly and then de-engergizes it and re-holsters it with the same intensity. What kind of hooking mechanism would allow this to happen?

if you are reffering to the scene where qui-gon and obi-wan first rescue the queen, sio bibble and the rest, watch as liam neeson goes to quick holster his saber. he's actually holding it with his left hand thru his robe. it's an illusion that he holstering his saber, when he's really just holding it against his hip while he force pushes those 2 battle droids.:)

mini-rock
09-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
In the SW universe, the prequel sabers do not have fully-internal recharging systems and the holster boxes are also recharging stations; however by the classic trilogy's time, a lightsaber's recharging is handled completely internally

Wow! I didn't know that. I'm simply amazed by your knowledge of the SW universe. So did those re-charging stations have infinite re-charging capability?

Regarding that scene with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, & Jar Jar I guess I never really noticed Qui-Gon holding the saber at his hip, but you are right derek. I just watched that scene, and now it's obvious.

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Don't be amazed with my pointless SW knowledge, it was in a couple books I bought and on the website. ;) When it comes to techy stuff like this, my "how does that work" radar sets off pretty easily, I guess that's why I'm a Trekkie too. :D

As for the recharging, I don't remember if it said anything about the recharge belt stations themselves, but it's possible they were micro-generators inside which could have been self-sustaining. This relates to why Obi-Wan's saber doesn't work when the Jedi first land on Naboo, if you take my meaning. When Obi-Wan gets out of the Trade Fed landing craft, he shuts his lightsaber beam off but leaves the saber in an active state for quicker start-up later - unfortunately, since prequel-era lightsabers don't have flashback seals, when they are not fully shut off they are not waterproof - so when he gets out, he falls in some water which causes the saber to short circuit and burn up at the emitter end, emptying out the saber's internal power source. This is why Obi-Wan isn't defending himself from the STAP when he finds Qui-Gon; Qui-Gon even admonishes Obi-Wan about always leaving his saber on like that, and tells him to recharge his saber which is why it works later. At least part of this was filmed but scrapped. (BTW, if I got any of the story details in the wrong order, you'll have to forgive me, this is all memory from stuff I read 3 years ago in various sources)

stillakid
09-18-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Don't be amazed with my pointless SW knowledge, it was in a couple books I bought and on the website. ;) When it comes to techy stuff like this, my "how does that work" radar sets off pretty easily, I guess that's why I'm a Trekkie too. :D

As for the recharging, I don't remember if it said anything about the recharge belt stations themselves, but it's possible they were micro-generators inside which could have been self-sustaining. This relates to why Obi-Wan's saber doesn't work when the Jedi first land on Naboo, if you take my meaning. When Obi-Wan gets out of the Trade Fed landing craft, he shuts his lightsaber beam off but leaves the saber in an active state for quicker start-up later - unfortunately, since prequel-era lightsabers don't have flashback seals, when they are not fully shut off they are not waterproof - so when he gets out, he falls in some water which causes the saber to short circuit and burn up at the emitter end, emptying out the saber's internal power source. This is why Obi-Wan isn't defending himself from the STAP when he finds Qui-Gon; Qui-Gon even admonishes Obi-Wan about always leaving his saber on like that, and tells him to recharge his saber which is why it works later. At least part of this was filmed but scrapped. (BTW, if I got any of the story details in the wrong order, you'll have to forgive me, this is all memory from stuff I read 3 years ago in various sources)

Holy smokes! I had no idea there was so much thought put into how these impossible laser swords actually work! But it shouldn't be a real surprise coming from an episode that tried to explain the Force. If only GL could have cut that silliness out too... sigh.

Thanks for the heads up on the hooks and stuff. I had a feeling that Qui was faking the holstering bit. I put some thought into the whole logistics of what they were doing and couldn't come up with any logical explanation on a clipping mechanism that could offer both quick draw capabilities along with a smooth return.