PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy

Master Goeweins
09-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Okay, hands down, this movie is going to ROCK!
Based on the comic by Mike Mignola, director Guillermo del Toro is bringing it to the big screen. They have officialy cast Ron Perlman as Hellboy. Anyone who has read the comic book knows that this story is so rich. Deep in an invented history mixed with factual events and created and historical legends. A true horror story mixed with a real sense of adventure. Del Toro did Mimic, Blade 2, and the great films, Cronos and The Devil's Backbone. Rent the last two and you can get a sense of how great Hellboy the movie is going to be!

You can check out a 7 minute interview excerpt with Del Toro, Perlman and Mignola here:

http://hellsite.kosertech.com/ (http://www.hellsite.kosertech.com/)

Counting down to Summer 2004!

Geonosian
09-17-2002, 02:41 AM
Good luck to it...it's going up agianst SpiedrMan 2.

scruffziller
09-17-2002, 06:23 AM
I didn't read the comic but knew of it and must have been popular enough for a movie to be made.

darthvyn
09-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Geonosian
Good luck to it...it's going up agianst SpiedrMan 2.

don't worry about it... i will see both of them four times each opening week, just like i did with spider-man! (as long as i have the $$$ - matinees, HERE I COME!!!!)

darthvyn
05-03-2003, 08:41 PM
just thought i'd bump this up, as i love this comic and think the movie is going to kick patooty...

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/hellboy/hellsite/

Hellboy
05-04-2003, 02:26 AM
Spider-Who?

scruffziller
06-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Has anyone seen a picture of Ron as Hellboy? He looks real cool.

RooJay
06-30-2003, 06:04 PM
Ain't It Cool News and Latino Review have been posting a lot of Hellboy movie pics recently, and I have to say that this looks to become the absolute most faithful adaptation from comics to screen ever produced. Everything on this one looks absolutely perfect! Let's hope that the story and production lives up to the promise of the design and visuals.

scruffziller
12-04-2003, 09:20 AM
The trailer is up!!!

Looks awesome.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/hellboy.html

Hellboy
12-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Indeed it does look cool. :cool: I've got high expectations for this film so I sure hope it delivers. :D

bobafrett
12-05-2003, 01:19 AM
I've never heard of Hellboy, other than the poster here on SSG. The trailer looks awesome! I may go see this before seeing Spiderman 2, as the web slinging flick will be around the theatres for quite sometime.

Beast
02-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Wow, they sure start planning the DVD's early. The following news is from CHUD. :)

The buzz for this film is insane. Hellboy is one of the rare films that's destined to be great. The trailer. Nick’s Prague Set Visit. Ron Freakin’ Pearlman. The fact that Guillermo del Toro has put so much time, energy and dedication into this film shadows my doubts that this film will suck.

Guillermo del Toro rocks. He’s not only one good director and funny on commentaries but dishes Hellboy info to fans. For free. That’s aces in my book.

From GDT:

“We are -tentatively- talking about a double disc release on DVD by Aug and a Triple disc, extended version in and around Christmas. A SIDESHOW boxed/bust/3dvd is likely to become available then.“

Doesn’t that sound great? Whether or not the film succeeds in the box office, fans receive two good dvds. The box set is bound to be something special. Guillermo del Toro has been on a winning streak with the dvds that graced his presence and expect nothing less.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
holy crap, i can't wait to see it... think it'll be the 7:10 showing... and them maybe the 10:10 showing... :D

Beast
04-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Saw it this morning, well.....afternoon. And it kicks major arse. There are a few slow moments, but it's mostly action from beginning to end. Can't wait for the DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
04-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Great film, I am ignorant of everything in the comic series.

I would venture a guess and say the Hellboy creator is a fan of H. P. Lovecraft, though. ;)

Reefer Shark
04-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Man... I'm totally hyped up for this flick! Gulliermo Del Toro makes such awesome movies.

I hope I can find the time to see it this weekend!

stillakid
04-02-2004, 11:49 PM
I saw it this afternoon. Pretty good. Gets slow in the middle there somewhere as the plot gets muddled a bit. Selma is looking hot as usual. The only thing that managed to stand out for me was the production design on the Nazi henchman guy with the gasmask thing. That was pretty cool. Otherwise, nothing to really complain about or mention.

Hellboy
04-03-2004, 03:14 AM
Wow, what a great adaptation. I'm a huge fan of the comic so it was cool to finally see the film versions of these characters. Ron Perlman was a great choice to play Hellboy and really captured the wit and comedic side of the character. I'm so glad director Gulliermo Del Toro stuck with his choice rather than the studios desire to cast either Vin Diesel or The Rock in the title role. I do wish Abe Sapien was in it a bit more but his scenes were still pretty memorable. Liz Sherman's scenes were cool too with her blue flames looking pretty wicked and contrasting really well with Hellboy's bright red skin. The villains came off great as well and Kroenen's sword play was bad arse.

I sure hope the film does well at the box office so the chances of getting a sequel become better. It would be really nice to see the further development of these characters and their adventures on screen, giving more people who haven't been exposed to the comic a chance to appreciate just how rich and unique the material is. I can't wait to see it again. :D

darthvyn
04-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Great film, I am ignorant of everything in the comic series.

I would venture a guess and say the Hellboy creator is a fan of H. P. Lovecraft, though. ;)

mignola is influenced by everything from Charles Dickens to wives tales... the way he creates stories for hellboy is to use mainly different superstitions, legends, ghost stories, and infuses the character into it... check out www.grasshopperscomics.com (http://www.grasshopperscomics.com/search_main.php?action=custom_search&title_field=hellboy&writer_lname=&writer_fname=&artist_lname=&artist_fname=&pub_select=0&lim_select=0&genre_select=0&set_select=0&family_select=0&date_select=0&bw_select=0&hc_select=0&Submit=Submit)
if you're interested in grabbing any of the books. (the top is the whole set of volumes 1-5, toward the bottom and then the next page the individual graphic novels appear...)

i still haven't seen it, got held up last night... i'm gonna check out the 10:10 tonight. there really is so much material they can draw from, it would be excellent to see a franchise rise out of this beginning... to see new characters like "roger" the homunculus or johann kraus would be cool...

evenflow
04-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Not bad, I enjoyed it. For the most part it was great, a few slow points but I did enjoy as did my girlfriend. Any more info on the DVD?

Rocketboy
04-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Not bad, I enjoyed it. For the most part it was great, a few slow points but I did enjoy as did my girlfriend. Any more info on the DVD?I really liked Hellboy. Good flick.

I was reading on another forum that the del Torro is planning the DVD already and it will be about 20 minutes longer. For now treat it as a rumor.

James Boba Fettfield
04-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Sounds like that Hellboy creator has quite the process for getting his stories together.

I'd love to get some of those TBP's so I can kind of call myself a fan of Hellboy. Right now, just having seen only the movie, it feels wrong to want to say I am a fan of Hellboy. I'm sure that doesn't make a lot of sense, but I like to see the source material of these kind of movies before I try and pass myself off as a fan. Well, maybe in a few years once I get caught up on the comic book series.

Now if they make a movie of The Preacher, too . . . That probably won't happen, though.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Wow, what a great adaptation. I'm a huge fan of the comic so it was cool to finally see the film versions of these characters. It would be really nice to see the further development of these characters and their adventures on screen, giving more people who haven't been exposed to the comic a chance to appreciate just how rich and unique the material is. I can't wait to see it again. :D

You should check out the comic book MIDNIGHT, MASS. which is similar in feel to the Hellboy movie, more so than the Hellboy comic book. There was an 8 issue series about a year ago and there's a new 6 issue series out now (I think they are up to issue #3). I know Mike Mignola is a fan and that he and the writer of Midnight, Mass. hope to do a project together.

As for the movie, I really wanted to love it, and in a rare turn, the movie actually exceeded my expectations. It was the truest adapatation of a comic book that I've ever seen, right down to the lighting and the color scheme. It was by no means a literal adaptation and certainly contained plenty of material concerning the characters and the B.P.R.D. that are not in the comic books. I was also pleased by how accesable this movie is to people who are unfamiliar with the character or the amterial, and Ron Perlman does such a great job, that you forget you're looking at someone in weird make-up almost immediately. Ditto for Abe Sapien.

THE Slayer
04-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Abe was definitely my favorite, never read a single comic though, I too wish he had a little more to do in the movie. I hate to be negative here, but I wish the story had been a little more 'fleshed' out. But overall it had some great moments that really worked, and then those that didn't.

Hellboy
04-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Now if they make a movie of The Preacher, too . . . That probably won't happen, though.

You're not the only one who wants a Preacher movie JBF. I can't wait but the project has been trapped in development hell for years and is only now starting to look as if it is finally coming to life. I'm not sure how good it's going to be but Garth Ennis did write the first draft with revisions done by the film's director Rachel Talalay (Tank Girl).

The story is loosely based on parts of "Gone to Texas" and "Until the End of the World". Basically Jesse gets his powers, runs into Tulip and Cassidy, and fights the Saint of Killers. Apperently he goes back to Gramma's place to deal with Jody and T.C. as well. :evil: I hope it turns out good but IMO pulling off an accurate adaptation of one of the best comic series ever is going to be very difficult if not an impossible task. My fingers are crossed. :neutral:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-04-2004, 03:54 PM
I figured i'd chime in my 2 cents. I saw the flick friday night and absolutely LOVED it. I just got into the comics thanks to my interest in the film, so i'm not going to claim myself as a purist, but for the most part, it was very faithful and had the same tone as the comic, which i picked up a few more today. I heard some folks hated some of the lighter moments, such as the scene with the kid and the kittens, but i actually enjoyed them, especially the one with the kid. It's great how Hellboy is this demonic (well, he looks like one, sorry to say) "superhero" and here he is, just chomping away on this kids baked cookies and talking about his love life. I laughed my arse off when he said, "Wait, you're giving me advice? You're nine!" I'll definately check this flick out a few more times and will DEFINATELY get the DVD when it arrives. Cheers!! :D

stillakid
04-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered the thing that bugged me. They used the "wire work" flying through the air thing about 5 too many times. I get it that the creatures are strong and can kick a guy pretty far, but even the laws of physics apply to a comic book to some extent. Once or twice is fine, but every frickin' fight had Red soaring unnaturally through the air. Enough already.

darthvyn
04-05-2004, 01:01 AM
AWWWWW, YEAH!!!!! i finally caught it (can you say "finally" if it was the second day it's out?) and i really thought it was great! the characterization of hellboy was the best part of the whole movie. the pancakes are a great nod to a two issue story of young hellboy, where the demons of "pandemonium, the capitol city of hell" riot after witnessing him enjoy his first pancakes... great stuff!

i'm not sure about the relationship with liz, though... she's with abe in the comics - i thought that would've been cooler... meh... just a little gripe...

i loved the subway fight scene with sammy. that's the way it's gotta be with hellboy - he maybe gets one shot off with his impressive looking gun, before it's swatted out of his hand, and he gets slapped around majorly, then manages to pull together a victory... awesome!

but the best scene was the glimpse of the future that rasputin shows bruttenholm (pronounced "broom" and presumably changed to that spelling in the movie, to side-step any confusion...) of hellboy sitting in the charred wasteland left of earth by the ogdru-jahad, with his full horns and crown of fire, smoke puffing from his mouth with every breath... holy crap!

oh, and that, too - the fact that they had him saying "awww, crap" to everything - perfect!

Reefer Shark
04-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Just got back from seeing myself, and I really enjoyed it too!

The only weak thing about the flick was the whole Liz Sherman/Hellboy/John Meyer love triangle deal. Although I do understand that they need to throw in the romance angle, and I guess it did make for some funny scenes....

scruffziller
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Was rather cool. I have always really liked the subject of how the Nazis were using black magic to gain a foothold. So anything about that incorperated into a story is bound to be interseting. I really liked the part of him getting a zombie out of the ground to give them instructions. I really liked Ron Perlman's performance with his "I'm bored with everythingt" attitude towards every situation.:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Ron Pearlman has confirmed that a sequel to "Hellboy" has been greenlighted. He said that Del Toro has to produce a script and it's all a go from there, so get ready for another dose of Hellboy!!!

(source: Superherohype)
Ron Perlman Says Hellboy 2 is a Go Source: Superhero Hype! Wednesday, April 7, 2004

Thanks to all the fans for writing in about this one. Hellboy star Ron Perlman appeared on Fox's The Best Damned Sports Show Period where he said, "We got the news this morning and God willing, and [Guillermo del Toro] writes a decent script (snaps his fingers) BOOM!, and I'm sure he will".

http://www.superherohype.com/hellboy/index.php?id=1166

Click for a link to an interview with Ron on BDSSP and where he mentions that the sequel is a go. Cheers! :D

darthvyn
04-08-2004, 09:47 PM
i had no doubt... it was a strong opening weekend for a movie based on such an obscure (well, to normals, anyway) character. there's such a rich well of stories to draw future plotlines on.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-08-2004, 11:36 PM
I was really impressed by how accessable it was for an uninitiated viewer.

Unlike other comic book movies, this one has actually generated very strong interest in the comic book from people encountering Hellboy first in the movie.

Also, some news to get excited about, Del Toro, Mignola, and others will be making store appearances when the DVD comes out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Hellboy DVD news from SHH!!! Looks like i'll be gettin' the Extended Edition of this DVD!! :D

"Hellboy writer and director Guillermo del Toro tells Video Store Magazine that he is planning two separate DVD editions for the film.

"The first edition is going to be a double disc hopefully, and the second edition is going to be a long cut of the movie, 20 minutes added, and you add a third disc to it," del Toro said. "I think you have the chance of the more casual fan just buying the first one, and the guy who really is hardcore going for the second one."

The extra scenes will develop subplots with one of the villains, Rasputin (Karel Roden), and a love triangle with Hellboy (Ron Perlman), Liz Sherman (Selma Blair) and Agent Myers (Rupert Evans). In the film, there is only one scene where Sherman and Myers seem to be developing a romantic relationship that makes Hellboy jealous.

"There is a little subplot that was taken from the movie that involved Rasputin's eyes," del Toro said. "That adds a layer of strangeness and beauty to him. There are more scenes between Selma and Rupert, and there's a little bit more of being able to follow those subplots. I feel that they couldn't be in the movie because the theatrical cut has to be a cut that moves to a pace that any casual fan or nonfan can enjoy, and the DVD is hardcore."

Hellboy
04-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Sounds sweet Guyute. Thanks for posting the news. I definately fall into the "hardcore" category so I'll be picking up the Extended Edition as well. :D

evenflow
04-14-2004, 05:11 PM
I cant wait for the 3-disc extended edition. Any date on when it comes out.

darthvyn
04-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Sounds sweet Guyute. Thanks for posting the news. I definately fall into the "hardcore" category so I'll be picking up the Extended Edition as well. :D

hell ya! sounds awesome to me. i think i'm gonna have to repeat view this one, after i see KBV2...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Found this at superherohype.com:

Superhero Hype! has received word that Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment will release a two-disc Special Edition Hellboy DVD on July 27 for $27.95. No features have been announced yet, but stay tuned.

Also expect a three-disc Extended Edition later this year

I'll post when i find out the special features! cheers! :D

evenflow
05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
I am going to hold out for the 3 disc. I am usually a sucker and can't wait, I am going to try and hold out.

Hellboy
05-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Wow, less than 4 months between the theatrical release and the DVD. :sur: Seeing films multiple times in the theater almost seems pointless when the transition is this short. I remember the days of waiting up to a year for certain films to be released on video.

I'll be waiting for the 3-disc version as well but you can bet I'll be renting this version the day it comes out. :D
As usual thanks for the update Guyute. :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-14-2004, 01:54 PM
According to the Hollywood Reporter Helmer Guillermo del Toro and producers Lawrence Gordon, Mike Richardson and Lloyd Levin are all back on board for Hellboy 2, the sequel to Revolution Studios' hit comic book feature. Mike Mignola will develop the new story for "Hellboy 2" with del Toro. The feature film was based on Mignola's Dark Horse Entertainment television series. " 'Hellboy' was a tremendously successful and unique project," Revolution partner Todd Garner said. "It was Guillermo's vision that brought the film to the marketplace, and we are delighted to be working with him again."

Gangs all here and pre-production has officially started. It'll be curious to see which comic book plot they take, if they take one at all. I just got done reading the one, "Wake the devil" and that could work. I need to read the TPB 3-5 yet though, so i'll decide later on. :D

darthvyn
05-14-2004, 03:14 PM
The feature film was based on Mignola's Dark Horse Entertainment television series.

wah? television who what now? oh, i see, by television series, they mean comic book! i get it...

i can't wait for the dvd and sequel, and the next series of toys... i'm a hellboy freak!

Dr Zoltar
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
I just saw this movie yesterday and it was great! I liked it much more than X-Men, X2, or Spider-Man. I'm not a fan of the comic books (mostly because I can't stand the art work) but the movie had a great feel to it. Can't wait for the sequel.

Beast
05-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Here's the full 411 on the upcoming Hellboy Theatrical DVD:

We've got a big DVD announcement for you today. As we predicted in The Rumor Mill last week, Columbia TriStar has officially revealed that they'll debut the 2-disc Hellboy: Special Edition on 7/27 (SLP $28.95). The set will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include deleted scenes, two audio commentaries (featuring director Guillermo del Toro and cast members), "DVD comics" (a never-before-done DVD feature containing eight branching DVD comics by Mike Mignola), an onscreen look at Hellboy comic books with the creator, the Hellboy: The Seeds of Creation 27-part documentary (focusing on brining Hellboy from the script to the screen), The Right Hand of Doom: Set Visits viewing option (at key moments during the movie viewers are given the option to branch out to a short featurette showing what life was like on the set during that day of shooting), a feature-length storyboard track (another DVD first - a picture-in-picture-feature that storyboards the entire film), weblinks and more. Sounds pretty cool. Be aware that, according to director Guillermo del Toro himself, an even MORE elaborate 3-disc director's cut is expected to be available in time for the holidays.
DVD Cover - Larger (http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Hellboy/The_Movie/Movie_Stills&image=dvdcover.jpg&img=&tt=)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
05-17-2004, 11:03 PM
I can't wait. Does anyone know if all of the material from the 2-disc set is going to be on the 3-disc set?

evenflow
05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
It is not coming out for a couple of months and already I am torn. Is the 3 disc set conformed, i mena i know they are tlaking about it, but it doesnt mean it will happen. I don't want to buy this and then have to buy another one.

Beast
05-18-2004, 12:03 PM
The 3-Discer is pretty much confirmed by the director. Unless the Studio for some reason decides to say he can't release it until closer to Hellboy 2, it should be out this winter as planned. I'd say get both, they'll probably do them like they did the LOTR releases. With more indepth and different features on the DC. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
05-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I'd love to get them both, I just cant afford it :( Damn student loans. Damn not being able to find a real job. Damn trying to get into graduate school. This is my life.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Were's some more info on the 2-disc dvd from the SciFi Channel's Sci Fi news of the week:

Extras Highlight Hellboy DVD

The upcoming two-disc DVD release of Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy movie will include some unusual features, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Del Toro had documentary camera crews on hand during the entire length of filming, and he also worked closely with Mignola on the look of the film and the subsequent DVD. In the Hellboy: Seeds of Creation documentary on Disc 2 of the DVD, the viewer can witness the blossoming of the relationship between [Hellboy creator Mike Mignola] and del Toro and how everyone worked to make sure that the film was true to the comic-book version, the trade paper reported.

On Disc 1, viewers can choose to watch the movie in the "Right Hand of Doom" or "Branching DVD Comics" options. For the first, when an icon appears onscreen during the film, viewers can select it for behind-the-scenes footage of that particular scene. In the "Branching DVD Comics" viewing option, whenever a new character is introduced into the film, an icon appears onscreen that leads to animations drawn by Mignola especially for the DVD, which allows viewers to see more of the backstory of each character, the trade paper reported. The Hellboy DVD set is slated for release July 27, with a suggested retail price of $28.96.

Hellboy
05-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Man, how am I supposed to be patient and wait for the 3-disc SE when this one just keeps sounding cooler and cooler?

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Just convince yourself the money you save on this set can be used to purchase the Dawn of the Dead boxset in September.

Or the Goodfellas two disc in August.

Hellboy
05-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Good point JBF, I like your way of thinking.

I'm planning on buying both of those as well. I just know once I see that DVD staring at me on July 27th I'm going to have to fight the temptation. :crazed:

I suppose if I can do it with LOTR: ROTK I can do it here.

Reefer Shark
05-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Screw it... I'm just gonna buy both versions. This 2disc version sounds too good to pass up, and I'm sure the 3disc version will be even better.

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm a college student, Hellboy, that's how I always have to think.

Save money on this to use on purchasing that. This summer and early fall is full of great DVD releases, so I can't be wasting money on a Hellboy set when I know there's going to be a bigger edition released later. Props to you guys who can go buy both and not feel too bad about it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-28-2004, 12:35 PM
I'll probably just rent the 2 disc edition, watch the special stuff and then hold out for the 3-disc. That's what i plan on doing with ROTK as i have no intention of buying it until the EE in november. :D

Patience, you must have, Hellboy, or broke, you will be. :p

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
And to those who plan on buying both: Will you keep the two disc once you buy the three disc?

This is strictly in the interest of science.

Reefer Shark
05-28-2004, 02:02 PM
And to those who plan on buying both: Will you keep the two disc once you buy the three disc?

This is strictly in the interest of science.
Yeah.. I probably will keep both, I'm a sucker for DVD's.

If it's a flick I really like, I try to get the theatrical (sp?), and extended editions. Take LOTR for example: I own the regular and extended editions of them (except EE ROTK of course). I just like having the option to watch whatever version I want, at any given time. And I like having the different artwork & inserts, etc.... I just like that stuff for some reason. Also, I have no patience when it comes to movies. If a flick I like is released, I will get it. It's pretty much that simple.

I'm not a wealthy person by any means, and you don't have to be to buy these movies. Most retail chains are pretty competitive on release day, and you can usually find the new stuff pretty cheap. $15 - $20 is well worth it for me if it's something I'm truly going to enjoy. :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Let me answer my own question, as well.

I keep old copies even when I own the better edition. It makes the collection look bigger. I kept this terrible quality dvd of Night of the Living Dead 68 even after I bought the Millennium Edition. How can I part with that $5 piece of crap dvd?

Rocketboy
05-28-2004, 03:59 PM
I'll probably buy both Hellboy DVDs 'cause I liked it so much and it'll have more/different special features anyway. Plus, it's sort've a different movie.

The only movie I own 2 editions of is Black Hawk Down. When I saw the *ahem* "special features" the 1st release had, I knew there would be another deluxe version down the road (although it hadn't been announced at the time). I bought it anyway because I loved the movie so much.

I think the only one I've passed on was Kill Bill vol. 1, because I'd rather have the entire movie in the big set they've announced.

I'll probably buy the Daredevil directors cut whenever it comes out (if ever).
Clerks will have a massive 10th anniversary DVD sometime thise year and there'll be 2 versions of Jersey Girl (like Hellboy).
And God knows I'll probably end up with 3 or 4 Star Wars DVDs. ;)

Hellboy
05-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I keep old copies even when I own the better edition. It makes the collection look bigger. I kept this terrible quality dvd of Night of the Living Dead 68 even after I bought the Millennium Edition. How can I part with that $5 piece of crap dvd?

You could always trade your old DVD's in for new ones. Thats what I do, especially if I know I'll never watch it again.

I actually do plan on only renting this first release (like ROTK) but with this 2-disc DVD I'm mostly afraid the supplemental disk won't be offered as a rental. I suppose it might be but most of the time you only get the main feature unless everything is on 1 disk.

evenflow
06-01-2004, 12:25 PM
You could always trade your old DVD's in for new ones. Thats what I do, especially if I know I'll never watch it again.

Where do you do that.

Hellboy
06-01-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure if these retail chains are nationwide but I trade my old DVD's in at either Warehouse Music or CD-Game Exchange. I can usually get 1 DVD for every 3 old ones I trade in. I do the same thing with my videogames once I've finished them and know I'll probably never play through them again.

evenflow
06-02-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if these retail chains are nationwide but I trade my old DVD's in at either Warehouse Music or CD-Game Exchange. I can usually get 1 DVD for every 3 old ones I trade in. I do the same thing with my videogames once I've finished them and know I'll probably never play through them again.

Cool. I think the CD World by me buys used DVD's. I will check that out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Hee! I did that when i was living in Columbus..of course, i was selling my DVD's so i could buy food, but still, same idea!! :D

Hellboy
06-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow Guyute, life as a student is that rough eh? You must have been pretty desperate to part with a portion of your collection. Sorry to hear that, hopefully you kept all your zombie flicks though. :D ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Wow Guyute, life as a student is that rough eh? You must have been pretty desperate to part with a portion of your collection. Sorry to hear that, hopefully you kept all your zombie flicks though. :D ;)

hehehe hells yeah, i kept my zombie filcks!!! I'm not parting with those. ;)

Here is a blip i saw at BD about "Hellboy 2":

Dark Horizons reports that at the recent DreamCon, with Ron Perlman being the honorary guest of honor, it was reported that Perlman said that actual filming for Hellboy 2 will start in about 14 months, or August 2005. As reported earlier, pre-production starts in January 2005.

so, look like filming starts late next year!! too long to wait though, dammit! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-03-2004, 03:22 AM
The box/cover art for the Directors cut of Hellboy is now up at amazon. Here are direct links to the pics themselves.

The directors cut:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002V7ODI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

the Directors Cut Giftset that includes a hellboy "bust", sculpture or whatever term you want to use.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002V7ODS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

cheers!!

Hellboy
09-07-2004, 04:57 PM
I love that cover. Nice mix of the movie Hellboy and Mike Mignola's original rendition.

I'm not a big fan of busts, especially when they're missing their arms, or in this case arm. I'll pass on the giftset but I'll most definitely be getting that Director's Cut. :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Selma Blair, co-star of the SF comic-book adaptation Hellboy, told SCI FI Wire that shooting for the film's proposed sequel will likely be delayed while director Guillermo del Toro tackles another project. "I don't start that for probably a year and a half," Blair said in an interview. "Guillermo is working on something else, so I'll probably have to wait. I talked to Guillermo last week when I was in Europe with him. He's sworn me to secrecy, but it's so good, and I'm so excited."

In Hellboy, based on Mike Mignola's graphic-novel series, Blair played Liz Sherman, a woman who can control fire with her mind, opposite Ron Perlman's title demon hero. She said that she looks forward to expanding her character's personality?and wardrobe. "We kind of came together with what I wanted [on the first film]," Blair said. "I want more control and for Liz to be sexier for the second one, and I hope the wardrobe will reflect that, because she's no longer a shrinking violet."

Blair married actor Ahmet Zappa immediately prior to the release of Hellboy earlier this year. But she said that she plans to put motherhood on hold until after she completes the sequel. "I would love to have a child, but I want to wait until Hellboy is over, because that's a really long arduous shoot in another country," Blair said, adding that she wouldn't be opposed to doing a third Hellboy film as well. "Hopefully by then I will have made so much money on Hellboy 2 that I can afford a nanny and someone to take care of me, exercise my legs and look better. Right now, I'm what is called regular folk."

Meh.. probably pushed back, but still, she sounds happy about the idea, so that's a plus. thanks to BD for the info. :D

darthvyn
09-25-2004, 11:30 PM
liz... sexier? mmmmm, i don't know about that. she's supposed to be all withdrawn and stuff...

although it would be really hot if they introduced "roger" in the next one. and she should end up with abe, not hellboy.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-27-2004, 02:00 AM
No Roger in the next one. They decided it was too much like the Hellboy origin to use in the second film. Instead we're getting Johann Kraus, the ectoplasm guy from the B.P.R.D. graphic novels. So says Guillermo del Toro.