PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect the Star Wars "Unleashed" Figures?

Tycho
09-17-2002, 04:32 PM
This year to coincide with the beginning of the Star Wars "Saga" collection era, Hasbro tried something new: The Star Wars Unleashed Collection!

Available now are:

Jango Fett with his son, Boba

Darth Maul

Anakin Skywalker

Padme Amidala

Darth Vader

Mace Windu

Darth Tyranus

What do you guys think of these? I'm digging them and hope Hasbro makes more! :happy:

How about you?

Tycho
09-17-2002, 04:42 PM
I hope they make:

Chewie (w.3PO) tossin' Stormtroopers in the Carbon Freeze Room

Leia Bespin Escape being given cover with R2's smokescreen

Luke Jedi Knight attacking on Jabba's Sailbarge

Han Stormtrooper defending the Detention Cell

Lando Skiffguard desperately holding on to avoid the Sarlaac

Yoda catching Dooku's lightning and deflecting it!

Zam Wessel leaping from her burning speeder

Boba Fett firing his tangle cable (at Luke) on the skiff over the Sarlacc

Stormtrooper
Snowtrooper
CloneTrooper

Super Battle Droid knocking a regular Battle Droid down while firing

Qui-Gon - slicing a Sith Probe Droid apart

Obi-Wan leaping into action in the rain battle (with Jango)

What would you like to see them do?

Do you buy the ones they've released, too?

Battle Droid
09-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Super Battle Droid knocking a regular Battle Droid down while firing.

That one sounds awesome, love that scene in the film.

I haven't bought any others though.

One's I want,

Battle Droid
Genosian Warrior (firing the Sonic Blaster)
Gungan Warrior
Destroyer Droid (with removable shield bubble)
OOM-9 (getting sliced in the Naboo Hanger)

darthvyn
09-17-2002, 05:14 PM
i said no, because i haven't...

YET...

but the vader is too cool, and the dooku looks like it's going to be really good as well, and so i probably will collect SOME, not all. i like the ideas you gave, as well, tycho. it would be cool if future ones came with accessories that would make a diorama in conjunction with other ones - example: the "force lightning deflecting yoda" could come with an interchangeable piece like dooku's, where at one end you have yoda's hand, then the lightning, and at the other end have a dooku hand that could attach to dooku's arm! they seem to be into interchangeability on some of these...

i would DEFINITELY buy it if you could do THAT!!!

thespar
09-17-2002, 05:18 PM
i will problem end up buying more but the only ones i see here and the Fetts and Maul

HkChicago
09-17-2002, 05:40 PM
I love these, but availability has been a real problem. It took a good effort on my part to get all 7 - you'd think they'd make it easier to get my $100+!

Prince Xizor
09-17-2002, 05:42 PM
I have the Anakin one, and I am planning on buying the Vader one when I can find the damn thing. Probably the Dooku and Windu ones as well. I don't like the Jango or Padme ones, they just don't appeal to me (The Padme one is especially ugly.)

In the future I hope they make a Chewie one (Preferably with a bowcaster), a Han Solo, A Darth Sidious, a Yoda, and a Droideka.

TylerD
09-17-2002, 06:15 PM
I have no desire to add them to my Star Wars collection, so I said NO.

Jangu Fett
09-17-2002, 06:37 PM
Boba Fett, Zam Wesell, Clone Troopers, Storm Troopers, Chewbacca.

LusiferSam
09-17-2002, 07:25 PM
I don't plan a getting any of them. They look cool, but their to big for me to have around and more money then I want to be spending.

Lord Malakite
09-17-2002, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them make an Emperor's Wrath Darth Vader holding the Emperor over his head shooting lightning. Imagine the detail they could do with that compared to the 3 3/4 line version (which was awsome in its own right).

Figureman2
09-17-2002, 08:18 PM
I had to vote "No" on these. While I do think the figures are quite awesome, I don't like mini-statuettes as much as figures... there just aren't as many display options/possibilities. Also, with all the money I spend on figures and other things, these just aren't conveniently within my budget. Maybe when they all go on clearance, I'll pick up a few.

Master ToNone
09-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Wuher in all his glory pouring cold beer

IG65
09-17-2002, 10:06 PM
I have to say I feel very ambivalent towards them. I've only seen the Padme and Jango Fett in the stores, and they don't do anything for me. I will probably pick them up if I find them on clearance, however.

NRPeace
09-17-2002, 10:49 PM
I kinda like a couple of them, but there are so many other companies out there making Star Wars statuettes. If they do continue with them, I hope they actually have the pose parallel a scene from one of the movies (like the Vader one) instead of just giving them a comic book pose.

sith_killer_99
09-17-2002, 10:55 PM
I voted, I buy some, though I haven't bought any yet. I plan to buy Vader and Dooku (maybe).

I'm just not that impressed. Hasbro went for those ultra-super-dynamic-wierded-out-facial-expression-poses. They all look stupid IMHO. Padme' look like some kinda Dominatrix (sp?). The others look constipated (sp?) or WORSE. Vader is hard to mess up (no facial sculpt) Hasbro tends to do better with these type of figures.

If Hasbro REALLY wants to save the line, they should do two things:

1. Concentrate on the non-human head characters:

Stormtrooper
Sandtrooper
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver
Clone Trooper (Stawberry, Blueberry and Vanilla)
Clone Pilot
Vader (Done)
IG-88
Boba Fett (ESB...or ROTJ)
Jango Fett SOLO with Helmet ON!!!
4-LOM
Zuckuss
Bossk
Yoda (EP2 WITH lightsaber)

2. Humans sculpts should have MUCH less dynamic facial expressions.

Just my 2 cents.

stillakid
09-18-2002, 01:05 AM
I thought about it, but decided against it. They're interesting and look pretty cool, but in the end, I've got better things to spend my money on right now. It's hard enough to squeeze the budget to keep up with all the 3 3/4" stuff as it is.

bigbarada
09-18-2002, 01:18 AM
I voted "no." I quit collecting the 12" and Lego line and have focused entirely on collecting the occasional 3 3/4" item. I just don't have the disposable income anymore to commit to yet another overpriced line of Star Wars collectibles.

The only new line I am really looking forward to is the Star Wars Kubricks that are supposed to be coming out soon. Namely the bounty hunter set.:)

Mar10Sir
09-18-2002, 01:34 AM
I think the poses are too exaggerated. Too comic-book like. I'm pretty sure that's Hasbro's intention, though, but... I dunno'... the sexy, body-painted, ripped-ab Padme looks too overdone, for example.

As for some of the suggestions here, well... everyone's entitled to an opinion, of course, and some ideas are good but others are ridiculously funny.

Like... oh yeah, let's make Obi-Wan slashing Ponda Babba's arm! Ooh... Vader choking Captain Antilles on board of the Tantive IV!! No, wait... how about two Ewoks ripping apart a Scout trooper with their spears? Oh and please have them sculpted with foaming mouths and oversized fangs!

C'mon! :)

Separatist
09-18-2002, 02:11 AM
I really like this scale of figures. I don't have to buy the expensive statues to get this scale. I agree, we need a whole line of these figures set for release Q1 2003.

Separatist
09-18-2002, 02:18 AM
I really like this scale of figures. I don't have to buy the expensive statues to get this scale. I agree, we need a whole line of these figures set for release Q1 2003.

2-1B
09-18-2002, 02:20 AM
I have none in my collection, but voted "I buy some" because I'm definately going to get Padme, Anakin, and Dooku, and maybe Mace but he's not a definite yet. :)

I would definately get an AOTC Obi-Wan, preferably rain soaked. :)
TPM Obi-Wan would be alright too, but I'm not sure if they could pull off ANH Obi-wan . . . maybe a Spirit of Obi-Wan ? He could be REALLY Unleashed ! :D

jedihunter25
09-18-2002, 03:08 AM
I voted no but that doesn't mean I don't like them- I think they are really cool! The reson I don't buy them is because of space. I've been collecting since 95' And I have every fig, playset,ship/ vehicle,(except for EU and the last 20 Darth Mauls) and almost every 12" and some vintage stuff. Lately it's been really hard for space specially with Hasbro doing unessary remakes on ships/vehicles. I bought the remakes but I have no place for them except in my big walk-in closet and I'm running out of room in there. I really like the Vader one and I might buy it if I can find a couple of inches somewhere.

JediBoulton
09-18-2002, 09:48 AM
I don't have the resources to commit to the "unleashed" series -- but would accept them as presents. These are good looking statues for the office. I would like to see a Darth Maul stabbing Qui-Gon Jin or seeing Obi Wan spliting Maul in half. Morbid, I understand -- but could have a display saying, "In memory of..."
Also, Luke hanging from the weather vain or in the Hoth cave would look awsome!!--Perhaps a Luke on Dagobah looking over a slain Vader with his face...THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!

DahrJin
09-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Yes, yes I do collect the Unleashed line.

I enjoy this line very much, and can't wait to see what characters Hasbro decides to UNLEASH on us in 2003.

allenj456
09-18-2002, 11:13 AM
I have the Vader, and Padme. I plan on getting Mace. Undecided about Dooku. I like them as long as they are consistent with the movies and look good. I HATE the maul doing his red jello ballet ar whatever that is. Im just so sick of Jango "I'm overrated" Fett that I wouldn't spend that much one more of his endless rehashes much less a 15$ figure. Im excited to see what the Leia is and would love an Ep II Obi Wan and Jedi Luke.

c_richards
09-18-2002, 12:06 PM
I buy some of the Unleashed figures, but they have to really look fantastic! I passed on Maul and the ballet of the Jell-O fairys, and I passed on Japanese Anime Ani! I am not going to touch Padme, the face is all wrong, and the body....well all I can say is that it must be cold on Geonosis since a friend of mine and I saw that the outfit (the way it was sculpted) "enhances" the chest area!

I want Dooku, and I already have Jango and Vader. Vader looks like he was directly pulled from ESB, and Jango, aside from the lame looking Boba, looks really good. I like the touch that Hasbro did by putting a layer of clear-ish plastic designed to look like rain splatter and ripples!

If they continue to make the figures/statues look like the character they are supposed to represent, then I will buy them. Otherwise, forget it! :)

If they used laser scanning on the actors/actresses, why can't they use that info to make a better head sculpt? :)

Oh well....just my opinion!
MTFBWY!

187-Maul
09-18-2002, 01:32 PM
I have bought Maul (I'm a big maul fan) and am planning to buy dooku and maybe vader

I posted my want list in the dear hasbro section but the one I want most is Emperor Palpatine from ROTJ with his force lightning and a really evil grin

scruffziller
09-18-2002, 03:16 PM
If I had enough money to collect then I would buy them all.

zeroplate
09-18-2002, 03:21 PM
why can't they make figures with this level of detail and in this exaggerated style, but that are ACTION figures, and not cheap miniature statues?

Jon
09-18-2002, 05:52 PM
personally I think these things are absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't even buy them on clearance for $1.99

TEE KAY-421
09-18-2002, 09:26 PM
I only collect 3 3/4 inch Star Wars action figures, but perhaps if I lived in a place with more space, I might pick uup one or two to use as decorations.

hango fett
09-18-2002, 09:38 PM
i want a yoda unleashed with a detachable hand for his saber and when he is absorbing the lightning! that could be the best and most likely rarest yet!
h

roguematt7
09-19-2002, 12:09 AM
Personally, I can't wait till they come out with Ewoks Unleashed devouring a stormtrooper...

Yub, yub!

darthvyn
09-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
Also, Luke hanging from the weather vain or in the Hoth cave would look awsome!!--Perhaps a Luke on Dagobah looking over a slain Vader with his face...THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!

it would be really cool if the base for bespin luke could attach to the vader one!

the dagobah luke would be really cool too! good idea!

Darth Sidious
09-20-2002, 08:56 PM
I don't collect them, they're just too expensive for me to get a bunch of them, and I prefer the 3 3/4" figures and ships. The Bespin Vader, for example, was better sculpted and had better accessories than the Unleashed one. But although I don't collect them, I do think I'll get Dooku. He looks awesome. Very majestic and intimidating, just like he should look.

bigbarada
09-20-2002, 10:28 PM
My brother got ahold of all three of the Kotobukiya statues from Japan and I must say, those things totally blow away all of the Unleashed figures. Darth Vader and the Clonetrooper are movie perfect, not nearly movie perfect, but truly movie perfect. Anakin looks a little anime-ish, but in a cool way, not like the Unleashed Anakin.

I hope to be able to get ahold of the Clonetrooper soon. I have nothing against statues, if they are mind-blowingly cool. But the Unleashed just look cheap and shoddy and miss the mark on so many levels.

Turbowars
09-21-2002, 10:00 PM
If any of you remember the huge argument (a member was banned) here on how I used a word that means the same thing as "happy" to describe these figures, you would never believe that I love these figures now. What can I say??? People can change. So far I have Jango, Maul and I just picked up Padme and let me just say, she is far from being on the "happy" side and it must of been really cold when she was sculpted. I plan on getting all that are out now. It's just really hard to find them. There's tons of Mauls and Jango's at WM, and I think they are afraid to order the next wave. Way to go Hasbro and I don't go around saying that very much or at all.

Jargo
09-21-2002, 10:05 PM
This poll is not going where you said it was. It doesn't ask what we think of them at all only whether or not we buy them.

I don't buy them and I think they stink just like the last time Hasbro tried larger figures with no posability or value as anything other than dust collectors. I hope these fail miserably and die the sad death of peg/shelf warmers.

*Perhaps the poll should reflect the title of the news item on the main page
MISC: New Poll Asks How You Like Unleashed Figures rather than do you collect, more like...

"What do you think of the unleashed figures?"

I collect them
I don't collect them
I Don't like and think they are a mistake
I like but I won't be collecting
I will collect one or two

;)

Turbowars
09-21-2002, 10:50 PM
You tell them Jargo!!!!!!

jedibear
09-22-2002, 01:24 AM
Well...
So far they've been interesting....the lone exception for me being the Padme one. As I mentioned in another thread about these, the artist went a little overboard on her for my taste....she's almost hyper-masculine and too "TombRaider-ish" to me.
I wish I had snagged the Vader when I'd seen it....have'nt seen it since I picked up the Anakin.
The pictures of both the Mace & Dooku look promising.

I'd very much like to see an AOTC version of Obi-Wan (perhaps in the rain duel guise...a nice bookend for the Jango/Boba set) and a really intense Qui-Gon (he's still my favorite Jedi...)

mini-rock
09-22-2002, 02:03 AM
No, I only collect the 12" figs. :)

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
No, I only collect the 12" figs. :) Hey Rock, I'd have to say you are a rarity. Most people only collect the 3.75" figures or if you are like me, you collect both the 3.75" and 12". Don't you feel like you are missing out? Probably not, but I only ask, because Hasbro never produces many 12". Just wondering.;)

OC47150
09-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Like Darthvyn, no I haven't yet. They are nice sets but not high on my shopping priority list at this time.

jjreason
09-23-2002, 05:58 PM
No thanks. Not enough room or money, like a few others have posted. Ill keep watching though, they may get some money out of me yet if I see Darth Vader out and about.

roger roger
09-24-2002, 01:23 AM
I don't collect them now, but would if they made a Battle Droid (without Anakin's boot in it's face), a Super Battle Droid and a Destroyer Droid. Although I might buy Dooku and Mace if I ever see them.

A Clonetrooper and Yoda would be cool too. Maybe a Tusken which locks on to a Tatooine Anakin. I better stop, I'm getting myself excited.:-)

aikman
09-24-2002, 04:46 PM
They arent too bad but they are expensive.

Ok well, padme looks nothing like her at all, and the jango statue would look a million times better without the screaming kid but...

Turbowars
09-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by aikman
They arent too bad but they are expensive.

Ok well, padme looks nothing like her at all, and the jango statue would look a million times better without the screaming kid but... Boba can come off. Here's a photo

Turbowars
09-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Boba can come off. Here's a photo here's a back shot

Turbowars
09-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by aikman

Ok well, padme looks nothing like her at all. With a sculpt like this, It doesn't need to look like Padme.HeHe ;)

mini-rock
09-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
With a sculpt like this, It doesn't need to look like Padme.HeHe ;)

Doesn't she know it's not polite to "point".;)

After seeing this, Darth Vader, and Mace Windu picks it's getting harder to resist this line. My daughter already has Anakin, Jango (w/o Boba) and Maul, but I'm not sure what else has been released.

Tycho
09-30-2002, 04:06 AM
I think they're only doing 1 of each main character for starters:

They did:

Maul
Jango w. Boba Fett
Anakin
Padme
Vader
Mace
Dooku

and upcoming / confirmed now

Slave Leia
Yoda (movie source possibly AOTC).

Luke, Han, Chewie, Emperor Palpatine, Lando, Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan would be expected.

Some of the masked characters from Troopers to Tuskens would seriously look cool, as would the Bounty Hunters and some of the Jedi.

mini-rock
09-30-2002, 05:00 AM
Thanks Tycho. :) So are the Padme, Vader, Mace, and Dooku newly released or limited? I haven't seen those at TRU the last few times I've been there. I'm gonna go check amazon right now, and if they are there I'm ordering all of 'em. :crazed:

Tycho
09-30-2002, 08:56 PM
They're not limited. They only just came out exactly 30 days ago.

They're just being bought, that's all.

They are also favored more by fans than Jango and Maul. So peopel who are going to get just the ones they like are going to get these.

All the movies but ANH are represented now:

AOTC: Jango, Mace, Dooku, Anakin, Padme
TPM: Maul
ESB: Vader
ROTJ: Slave Leia

I think it's time for an Unleashed Stormtrooper Han!

Maybe an Unleashed Tusken Raider, too!

OzOtter
10-04-2002, 03:55 PM
I didn't get the chance to vote on this (I'm new here) but I would have voted "No". For the same reasons other No-voters did. But when I read through all the postings I got to thinking I would buy a Jedi Luke... if he was 'Anime-ed' up a bit. I like that angle. I have never seen the Anakin, and I think the Maul would have been okay, if I actually LIKED Maul.

A comic book-style-posed Jedi Luke would be cool.