PDA

View Full Version : Pop Ups On Starwars.com!!! (merged)

darthvyn
09-17-2002, 06:02 PM
i can hardly believe the amount of popups on starwars.com these days! it seems like every link you click generates some gaudy looking popup for some new game system, or "classmates.com" (as if any star wars "geek" wants to reunite with the high school people who hated me... i mean them... uh...)

anyway, i don't even want to go to the official site anymore, even though it's well designed and has a huge bunch of info and stuff. who's with me? DOWN WITH POPUPS ON STARWARS.COM!!!

SirSteve
09-17-2002, 06:05 PM
and you guys thought a single toy related pop-up that got cookied so you only seen it once in 24 hours was terrible! starwars.com doesn't need the money to use pop-ups!

Darth Sidious
09-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Nah, I didn't think it was terrible. It's not exactly hard to close it. But there are quite a few on SW.com, and they really don't need them. They do have enough money, methinks.

Tycho
09-17-2002, 06:17 PM
All pop-ups are bad and they are incredibly annoying for those still using dial-ups.

I suppose they could come even faster and be worse with cable or DSL though...

master jedi
09-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I suppose they could come even faster and be worse with cable or DSL though...

Oh...it's worse.

TylerD
09-17-2002, 06:24 PM
At least its not that annoying pop up for The Invisible Man...You guys remember how annoying those things were???

El Chuxter
09-17-2002, 06:39 PM
I remember the one for Scorpion King that played music loudly and centered itself on your screen and was a pain to close out. That one ticked me off.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Oh my god, the sw.com pop-ups are terrible! Everything opens up a pop-up! It's been like that for a while, though. And just for the record, I don't mind the ssg pop-up, too much (I just hate Galidor).

Boba Rhett
09-17-2002, 10:10 PM
*gasp*

*checks starwars.com*

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :cry:

master jedi
09-17-2002, 11:36 PM
I don't see why starwars.com had pop-ups. Lucas is a multi-bajillionaire you would think he could afford it without pop-ups.
I'm always in a rush and don't have time to click out of every little pop-up ad.

thespar
09-17-2002, 11:53 PM
i understood the pop-up when EP 2 was getting ready to come out the help give it more ad time. the the can take the rest of the pop-up it just trash them.

sith_killer_99
09-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Pop-ups are the least of my worries. Starwars.com is employing DoubleClick!!!

That's a SPYware program for those of you not in the know! But hey, it's the same program Yahoo.com employs to track your surfing habits.

It's all used for "marketing"!

If anyone's really interested just go to www.doubleclick.com and see what those yahoo's are all about.

Fortunatly I use a pretty hefty program for detecting such insidious programs...and DELETING them.:frus:

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 12:32 AM
sw.com's popups have become ridiculously offensive for my internet day. Nearly every page spawns one, sometimes filling my entire browser with that crap. And since the site is there mainly to advertise Lucasfilm products and is paid for by a billionaire, I wonder if they're meant not primarily to make money, but to be counterproductive to using the site.

darthvyn
09-18-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by thespar
i understood the pop-up when EP 2 was getting ready to come out the help give it more ad time.

yeah, and that popup was actually USEFUL, because you could type in your zip code and find the closest theater to you playing the movie! that's a GOOD use of a popup, something for the site that you want to be at the forefront of your information, so people know about it. it was even really well designed, as the popup was always the opposite design scheme than the main page - i.e. if the main page was the BLUE background with a pic of a bad guy, the popup was the ORANGE background, and vice versa... i really actually LIKED that usage!

but everytime i click something on the site these days, i get some ad not remotely related to star wars, and it's getting out of hand. i agree with everyone who takes the "what is a billionaire doing with ads on his site promoting the thing that makes him a billionaire" stance...

MADNESS!!!

mini-rock
09-18-2002, 05:19 AM
This is a problem I have not experienced, but I do use a Webtv, so that could be the reason why. I know Webtv keeps me from receiving spam so it could also be blocking out the pop-ups.

sith_killer_99
09-18-2002, 09:41 AM
There are also some GREAT programs out there that stop those annoying pop-ups.

Pop-up stopped
Ad Killer
Ad Subtract

And many many more.:)

darthvyn
09-18-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
There are also some GREAT programs out there that stop those annoying pop-ups.

Pop-up stopped
Ad Killer
Ad Subtract

And many many more.:)

my concern is this, however... i use popups on my site to show my artwork, using javascript commands. i've recently added <noscript></noscript> alternatives for those that (like JT) turn off javascript - which is really just disabling a great wealth of abilities to stop one annoyance - not really a solution by any means! i've added so much JS to my site because it is really great stuff! i would hate to think that i did all that work in vain, when all my viewers use some kind of popup software that kills half the cool things on my site...

so, how do these things work? do they know when a popup is being generated foreignly, as in, off a remote server from the site you are viewing, do they just turn off javascript in a fancy way, or some other thing that could be more malicious to your browsing than you know? could someone using these programs check out my site and let me know what they experience? (you can just click on the "www" button at the bottom of this post...)

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 05:11 PM
Javascript is not terribly stable or secure, it can be used against one's computer in a myriad of ways. The web's increasing dependence on it is a sad state of affairs IMO. Most of the popular javascript stuff could be written into an update of HTML but nobody wants to adopt that, not when it's easier to do nothing while others can use javascript to change your home page, add programs to your PC without your knowledge, and crash your browser if you go to a rival website.

El Chuxter
09-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Website companies can track my surfing outside their site? Or put a program on my computer without my knowledge?

This is a joke, right? Please tell me it's a joke. Okay, I didn't figure it was a joke, but I was clinging to that hope.

How do I delete such garbage from my computer? I'd prefer Big Brother not to watch me.

Boba Rhett
09-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Ad-aware is pretty handy when it comes to getting rid of spyware. Might wanna check it out. You can get it for free here (http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10121984.html?tag=lst-0-1).

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 06:31 PM
Chux, sites can track your movements on the web not just through javascript, but also through a simple little thing called a "cookie". Cookies are browser-related tiny little files that can track and send back all sorts of information to websites for various use, they can be temporary or stored for later use without you knowing it, they are a basic property of the modern web browser and have been for at least 6 years. For example, on these forums, most of us use a cookie for the automatic login and for poll-voting purposes; SW.com uses cookies to tell which popups you've seen, what parts of their site you've used, your last visit time, and login information (they've creatively called them "wookiee cookies"); some sites with web counters use a cookie to tell them what page you go to next, even if you don't click a link. As for closing you down or changing your home page or putting stuff in your computer, cookies are far too simple to do any of that.

Some browsers allow you to turn cookies, javascript, java, and Cascading Style Sheets (something else that has been perverted into messing with your PC by unscrupulous sorts) completely off while others don't allow some or all of those to be deactivated, or make you think you've deactivated them when the browser is still using them to a certain degree.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-18-2002, 10:42 PM
I think these pop-ads are proof that George Lucas is looking for ways to supplement his income.

I heard instead of a bizillion dollars in salary, he's only going to make a few kablillion or so.

Poor guy, perhaps we should pass the hat for him.

Beast
09-18-2002, 10:52 PM
I don't mind the pop-ups that are strictly Star Wars. I dispise the ones like "Classmates" and that other crap. I don't think that people should expect Lucas to spend money on the site though, just because he's rich. He does have other things like his family that takes precedence over the fans. Besides, how hands on do you really think that George Lucas is with the StarWars.com site.

I'm sure that it gets delegated to someone like Rick McCallum or more likely someone even lower on the totem pole then that. They may want to make Lucas happy, and have the site not cost all that much, so they gave it some ads to reduce costs. I'm sure that the site costs a ton to run, with all the info there and graphics.

Seriously, just cause the guy loves to please the fans, doesn't mean that he should give everything away for free. Just be glad that they don't have a membership fee for StarWars.com. I'm sure that if they were really in it for the money, that would make Lucas alot more money then a few pop-ups that don't even pay for the sites monthly operating costs. Especially during the months where a new movie is in production and site hits increase as more info goes up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
09-20-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, they've finally done it, they've gone too damn far!!! Now they're opening up an entirely new browser window onto a site that has its OWN pop-up!!! What kind of bullpuckey is that?!?

darthvyn
09-20-2002, 07:22 PM
grandchild pop-ups! that's the last straw!!! down with starwars.com!!!!!!!!

InsaneJediGirl
09-21-2002, 12:15 AM
Gesh..It must be hard having an estimated 3 Billion dollars and still having pop-ups on your own website.George..why dont you stop paying for your server and just get a tripod account.At least their services are free and only one small pop-up add appears per page.:D:D

I wouldnt mind at all if they were SW related and informative..I do not want to see those runny-nosed brats from elementary school.:p

LTBasker
09-21-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
I wouldnt mind at all if they were SW related and informative..I do not want to see those runny-nosed brats from elementary school.:p

Yeah, I'm suprised theres not petition to have the popups killed or at least made related to SW considering there seems to be a petition for everything else, 'course they all could be stuck on figures so I guess a petition for that would take a little time. :D

JangoFart
10-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Ok, enough's enough. I am officially swearing off visiting starwars.com for a LONG time! Those daaaaaaaaamn pop-ups are KILLING ME!!!

Is Lucas and Co. SO BROKE that they NEED this kind of income? It has become a down-right HARASSMENT just to try to view ANYTHING on that God-forsaken page!!

To hell with it, I say. I won't be back anytime soon. It's just not worth the hassle.

J

QLD
10-03-2002, 05:36 PM
I have never really gone there anyway. I have never found much information that I wanted, or needed there. And the navigation was always a little difficult I thought.

I have heard the popups are horrible now. Even more reason for me to not go.

master jedi
10-03-2002, 06:50 PM
The ads are getting bigger and are getting worse. There's a new really annoying ad where theres a drill sergent comes down in a parachute and starts yelling about how you should watch Mail Call on the history channel.

Lucas is the richest dude in Hollywood and the 55th richest guy in America (according to Forbes.com) yet he still needs pop-up ads to pay for his site? How lame is that?

JediTricks
10-03-2002, 07:42 PM
I merged your thread to another, similar thread JF.

So here's how it works for me on my primative Netscape 4 w/ JS on - first page opens a new full window, second page opens a new full window that has it's own pop-up, 3rd page is just a pop-up, 4th, 5th, and 6th pages are flash ads, I think the 7th page is another pop-up, then regular banner adds from there on it. All this is BESIDES any CSS ads!