PDA

View Full Version : Wind Up Mace!?!?!?!

Lt Kettch
09-17-2002, 08:07 PM
WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TRY TO TELL ME THAT PLASTIC THING ON MACE'S BACK IS NOT A WIND UP WINDER!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO DIE!!

bigbarada
09-17-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. Whatever it is, it looks lame. I could care less if it makes him sing and dance, it looks stupid.:mad:

Battle Droid
09-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Hopefully it'll be gone on the released figure.

hango fett
09-17-2002, 08:27 PM
don't count on it. maybe it's to raise his arms up and down...sounds dumb, but hey, this is hasbro were talking about...
h

stad
09-17-2002, 08:55 PM
I could deal with.

If it actually brought Mace Windu to life!!!

Maybe

Beast
09-17-2002, 08:59 PM
It doesnt look like a button or a suction cup. Frankly I'm lost at what it could be. Maybe it plugs into the Geonosian Arena somewhere, so you can have him jump off the balcony and fall. Either that or the arm broke off as they were photographing him and they did a quick fix. :crazed: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
09-17-2002, 10:31 PM
"Total Control" = Stick Shift? :D

Fourth-gear strike...go!

Nexu
09-17-2002, 10:39 PM
It looks somewhat like the ball of fire that the deluxe mace comes with. Or maybe that's just me.

Darth Detori
09-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I'm wondering the same thing. Whatever it is, it looks lame. I could care less if it makes him sing and dance, it looks stupid.:mad:

I don't know... I'd pay up to... say... $10 for a singing and dancing windu ;)

thespar
09-17-2002, 10:41 PM
out of the the ways they have done the gimeakes for saga this mace windu has to be the wrost.

droidekas2
09-18-2002, 09:28 AM
They are extension rods on his arms with pads on them for your fingers. You use them to manipulate the arms to create motion. Kenner used them on the Mantis Alien figure from their Aliens line way back.
Its a great effect for simulating a lightsaber duel.
My opion it detracts from the sculpt and I think it sucks.

Darth Evil
09-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Well goody. I hate it.

Sidiously Darth
09-18-2002, 09:48 PM
Since there are multiple threads on this subject, I'm saving time and using the same reply. It's like working for Hasbro, same crap different time & place.

First we had B!#@h-Slap Windu. Now we have the new and improved windup Mace "The Impaler" Windu.:D

I can just see it now. You turn the nob on his back and he teeters from side to side. This simulates walking and then he jams his saber into the future Concept Stormie with built-in saber wound. This actually was self inflicted b/c he doesn't have the force or knowledge to wield such an elegant weapon.

SirSteve
09-18-2002, 10:29 PM
I really dislike it. Maybe he'll walk and swing the lightsaber. ;)

Beast
09-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Well, he is called "Total Control" in early Hasbro order lists. If they do put the gimmick in, and make him like the Alien Toy that was mentioned earlier, it would be nice if you could remove the big button thingie if you weren't playing with him. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Chiesa
09-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Ponder ponder... I wonder why hasbro just can't get Mace Windu correct? A simple articulated Windu with normal facial expressions? Sheshhh....... Moan Groan!!

Cheers :D

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 12:47 AM
Just what did Sam Jackson do to make Hasbro hate him so much?:(

:p

rynobot
09-19-2002, 01:05 AM
What we need is a collection 2 Mace Windu.

Chiesa
09-19-2002, 06:09 AM
Just what did Sam Jackson do to make Hasbro hate him so much?:(

:p

LOL... I wonder abt the same thing too!! :D :crazed: :confused:

I think its something you could stick on the car window... ya know those suction things... LOL

Lyet
09-19-2002, 07:48 AM
Maybe he squirts water

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Well, on Hasbro's site it says that he has flexible arms to give him total lightsaber control, which would explain the stick shift on his back. Ugh, so his arms are going to be even more rubbery and droopy than usual.

This deal is getting worse all the time.:frus:

Chiesa
09-19-2002, 01:02 PM
What does total lightsabre control means? Can't they like remove that suction thingey? :)

Starfig873
09-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Silly, silly. It's CLEARLY a light bulb. Windu's gotta have that little light go on when he comes up with his one-liners like: *bulb lights up* "This party's over"
;)

fourtwo
09-19-2002, 02:34 PM
maybe its for kids, so they can have something to play with on the toy instead of an inmoveable statue and not go "wow, this thing doesn't do jack squat...star wars sucks, i'm never buying star wars toys again!"

if you don't like it, don't buy it. its not like this is the last mace windu we'll ever see, and i'm sure you guys will get a no move mace soon enough.
personally i like the play features though. they're kinda cool for the most part and it gives the younger generation something to do with the toys, cause i'm really quite sure they're not putting up carded figures on there walls and worrying about the "value"...the only value that matters is PLAY VALUE.

flame away cause i know you dislike my opinion

RooJay
09-19-2002, 02:49 PM
I have a theory as to what this means that I posted in the "2003 Saga Figures" thread. Since I have no idea how to create a link to that post here, I'll just post the quote of myself:

Originally posted by RooJay

I was just sitting here pondering what could possibly be meant by "flexible arms for super realistic lightsaber control", when it hit me, and I realized how bad this is probably going to be. By my best estimate, what we can expect to be offered is this - soft plastic (or rubber) arms with curved plastic or metal rods running through the center; turn the round plastic disc stuck to Mace's back and the rods rotate within the soft rubber arms, causing the figure to appear to be waving his lightsaber back and forth in a tight circular pattern. Admittedly, an interesting and amusing action feature, but not one that I think we needed, or, as collectors, even wanted. The wretched action gimmicks continue even into a non-movie year!

I'm a bit torn over this one, but I certainly think we could've done well without this gimmick.

I'm not going to disagree with you fourtwo because I also am a firm believer that these are toys meant to be played with by kids. However, when I was a kid, if you had given me a choice between this Mace Windu figure and a more articulated, neutrally posed Mace, I would certainly have chosen the non-gimmick laden version. This is not a stance I have developed as a discerning, grown-up collector, but an attitude I've carried with me since my childhood. Like everyone else here, I was once a child, and as a child my favorite play feature was always my own imagination. For me, pre-posed figures with all kinds of bells and whistles with action gimmicks (which were quite the rarity in my day), while definitely interesting, were always much less cool (not only to me, but also among most of the other kids I knew at the time as well!) than just plain old, regular action figures whose poses and actions I could decide for myself. I'm a firm believer in letting a kid's imagination determine play patterns, not toy designers. That's the way it should be. Think of how the toy companies determine which toys kids want - they gather up a bunch of kids, put them in a room together, and give them a bunch of toys that have already been designed. I can't say that I believe that when Hasbro tests stuff like the latest Star Wars figures, that they give kids one each of "Action Feature Mace Windu" and "Non-Action Feature Mace Windu" and let them decide which type they prefer. By that point, they have already decided that action feature Mace is what the kids want, and certainly what they're going to get. From my experience (thinking back on what kinds of toys I wanted as a kid) what the toy manufacturers think they know that kids want is usually wrong. Part of the problem, as I see it, is that most of the guys in control at these companies have no memories of what is was like to be a kid. They're not in it for the love of the industry OR kids.

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by fourtwo
if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Oh don't worry, I won't. But if no one complains nothing will ever change.

It might be the last Mace Windu we ever see. Because of Hasbro's tactics, they have been losing collectors left and right. I highly doubt this line will last too much longer and we have, thus far, zero Ep2 Mace's that are worth a damn.

fourtwo
09-19-2002, 08:00 PM

Oh don't worry, I won't.

good good, more for me :)
and btw, mr.barada..the following is not a personal attack at you. just somewhat of a rant.

i say it again.
toys are for children first and foremost, not jaded collectors who complain when things don't go the way they'd like them to go.

the line isn't gonna die cause some of you dudes don't like the play features, and soon enough they'll go back to catering to collectors specifically. but for now...seeing as how the movie just came out and kids are really stoked on it, play features will be abundant as hasbro trys to keep them happy. i for one think its great.
go hasbro.
keep kids stoked on star wars.

also....the majority of you guys don't even open them so whats the big deal if its got something on the back? all you're ever gonna see is that one part thats facing forward while you wait for the value of your "investment" to go up.

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 08:34 PM
I open all my figures. I could never understand carded collectiing.

I'd be interested to see some kids who are still stoked on Star Wars right now. Especially with a new Harry Potter movie just a month or so away. I think most kids have moved on already.

fourtwo
09-20-2002, 12:49 AM
then we have something in common, hopefully the word of new figs like some of the lesser known jedi's will make some of you guys happy though.
:)

InsaneJediGirl
09-20-2002, 06:42 PM
No,No..You guys have it all wrong.Its Gandalfs staff!!Mace is just borrowing it for the weekend.:D:D:D:D:D

I like the figure..maybe I can find a way to customize the gazing ball off of his back;)

SuperBattleDroid88
09-20-2002, 10:47 PM
I believe it's a wheel on his back so he can roll down the string shown on the Arena Playset.

Beast
09-20-2002, 10:54 PM
SBD88, you may want to re-read the thread. Hasbro's Star Wars site listed what the little thing was on his back. :)

Mace Windu, Arena Confrontation, with flexible arms for super realistic lightsaber control! (03 #2)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Clever Spoof
09-20-2002, 10:57 PM
http://www.jokepizza.net/NEWMACE2.jpg
There, there Mace. You're all better now.
http://www.jokepizza.net/NEWPAD2.jpg
Goes for you too Padme.

SuperBattleDroid88
09-20-2002, 10:59 PM
Ok... sorry about that....

Darth Detori
09-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
No,No..You guys have it all wrong.Its Gandalfs staff!!Mace is just borrowing it for the weekend.:D:D:D:D:D

lol, I can see it now "You SHALL NOT PASS, Balrog mother-****er!"

and personally I'm fine with the play features AS LONG AS THEY'RE DISCRETE! leg squeezing stuff is fine by me, since it doesn't make them look stupid! But this??? it looks SO OBVIOUS.

Beast
09-20-2002, 11:07 PM
No problems SB88. I wish that Hasbro would put a little video on their website showing how he works. I'll withold my opinion of the figure, until I see what the final version looks like. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
09-20-2002, 11:11 PM
In response to the thread title, you COULD wind it up since it's most likely connected to wires inside the arms, but then his arms will be sucked up into his torso. ;)

Ya know I actually I would've prefered it to be just a lever so he'd still have plastic arms instead of the rubber....stuff...

Emperor Howdy
09-23-2002, 01:00 AM
You know, there is the fleeting possibility it's removable....like a "key". All the mechanics for movement are molded under the plastic, and when you want to move him around, you simply plug in the "key".....and everyone is happy. :)

What? :confused:

Why is everyone looking at me like that? :confused:

I said "fleeting possibility"! :(

**..and with that, several flying poisonous darts lodged themselves in Howdy's neck..** :dead:

plasticfetish
09-23-2002, 01:17 AM
How do you do that with the large blank spaces between lines? It's very zen.

Jargo
09-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Rebelscum just posted this little gem...

"Total Control" Mace Windu
Mark: According to Hasbro, the arms on this version of the venerated Jedi Master will be made of a flexible plastic with a rod running through them. When you turn the dial on the figures back, the arms will move with "realistic" lightsaber action!

Sounds pretty cool, if the feature works well, it's possible we could see it applied to a number of other lightsaber wielding characters. Look for more news on this figure, and feature, as it develops.

oh deary me, I fear the worst...! :(

RooJay
09-25-2002, 05:52 PM
I was right. Really wish I weren't though.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2002, 03:58 PM
I wish you weren't either... it's not as though a majority of the Jedi figures haven't been lavished with total crap gimmicks as it is! I personally don't have a problem with well concealed gimmicks... the wheels are by far the LEAST of my concerns. The same goes for the buttons. This, however is the most ignorant play feature implemented to date. I hope these sit on the pegs until Episode III hits.

I agree with the forumite who stated that his opinion (on these gimmicks) was formed as a child playing with toys and is carrying this opinion into his adulthood. I would have rather not had all the gimmicks on the figures as a child. They just don't work well or look right. My toys' best play feature was my imagination as well. I think we take so much stock in providing kids with levers and buttons and crap that do things because their minds are just too flaccid to come up with any of this stuff on their own. I'd much rather play with toys that allowed me to place the "people" into different situations and not pigeon-hole them into a pre-designated movie moment.

This truly saddens me.

Darth Trymybestus
09-28-2002, 01:29 PM
I know what you mean, even as I kid, I never liked the gimmicks on any toys, I'd rather have a good solid figure than one that I'm afraid that I'll break.
I think it's a good idea that some of the deluxe figures have gimmicks so that if people like that sort of thing, they can get those but they should leave the normal 4 inch line just as it is.

RooJay
09-30-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I agree with the forumite who stated that his opinion (on these gimmicks) was formed as a child playing with toys and is carrying this opinion into his adulthood. I would have rather not had all the gimmicks on the figures as a child. They just don't work well or look right. My toys' best play feature was my imagination as well. I think we take so much stock in providing kids with levers and buttons and crap that do things because their minds are just too flaccid to come up with any of this stuff on their own. I'd much rather play with toys that allowed me to place the "people" into different situations and not pigeon-hole them into a pre-designated movie moment.

This truly saddens me.

That was me too, by the way.

I just spent a good half hour typing up a post about how toy companies decide what toys kids want, and how, by the time they test their toys out on kids, they've already decided whether it's going to have gimmicky action features or not, and how they never really give their test kids a choice, and just the nature of how kids play and what they think of toys and what makes certain toys cool. For some reason, the window on my laptop just disappeared and I lost everything! Let me just restate a point from one of my earlier posts - what the toy companies (and their marketing departments) think kids want (even after "testing" their products with kids and questioning kids about what they'd like to see) is not at all what kids would actually enjoy and, most importantly, what they will play with. I know this having once been a kid myself, and being that I'm able to remember what that meant!

plasticfetish
09-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
I know this having once been a kid myself, and being that I'm able to remember what that meant!

Yep, yep, yep!

It does seem that often times they (you know, "they") tend to spend more time second guessing the wants of children and not enough time trusting the basic instinct ... which is for simple and sturdy toys that are really "flexible" when it comes to play. I can personally remember (oh, back into the early '70s) different toys with and without gimmicks. It was the toys with gimmicks that could ALSO be played with without them that I valued the most. I think Micronauts was my favorite ... and those were all about the gimmick. I still love the early Star Wars figures because of the almost minimalist design some of them have.

I also have a 5 year old toy tester in my own home. I watch him get bored of the gimmick almost instantly ... and then smash the toy with play-doh. He'll take a piece of bubble wrap and turn it into something crazy, but the toy with "realistic lightsaber action" will get left in the box (or smashed with play-doh).