PDA

View Full Version : Trans Formers Commemorative Series I

sith_killer_99
09-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Is anyone else here collecting these?

I have decided to collect ONLY the Commemorative Series Transformers. (In addition to my Star Wars stuff of course) I currently have Rodimus and plan on picking up Ultra Magnus tomorrow. I may have to resort to extreme measures to locate an Optimus Prime.

I am looking forward to Series II, no definate list yet, but it looks like these may all be Decepticons. :D I believe that Starscream is confirmed. I am hoping to see Soundwave in the next series.

Anyway, is anyone else excited about these? Collecting 'em? Having trouble finding them?

thespar
09-17-2002, 10:59 PM
i am waiting the seee if i can get optimus prime and it might pick-up Ultra MAgnus. Rodiums well just stay at toys r us. i did not care for him during his time as autobot leader.

Eternal Padawan
09-18-2002, 04:03 PM
I never had Ultra Magnus when I was little, so he's looking like a future purchase.

I have Optimus and Hot Rod, but what the hey, both mine are in decidedly non-mint condition.

What are the chances of Mr. "I'm a violent 80's realistic looking GUN toy in a 21st century mamby pamby PC world" Megatron getting made?

ROLLO!

Exhaust Port
09-18-2002, 04:31 PM
I picked up Hot Rod but I'm more interested in the Decepticons. I would love to see a Shockwave made.

El Chuxter
09-18-2002, 04:41 PM
I saw Optimus, but at $40, I passed. It'd be in much nicer condition than the one I've got, but it's $40 I can spend on something else.

EP, I understand a commemorative Megatron was released in Japan and is quite pricey stateside. :(

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 04:45 PM
Megs would have to have a "blaze orange" plug and/or barrel tip to get released as a toy in the States these days. I doubt it'll happen, but I don't even mind because I thought Megs was the weakest of the Diaclone transforming pistols.

I already have Hot Rod in really good condition, so I don't need that one again. I don't like Ultra Magnus' combined mode, it's just too much of a brick for my tastes, so I didn't bother at $40. I was considering tracking down Optimus - though I don't think much of the trailer, his bot mode is pretty darn cool - even though I'm pretty broke, but I opened my jammed-full closet recently to extract my TIE Interceptor and out rolled an Ultra Magnus cab in dandy condition onto the floor. Someone had sent it to me and I never saw it at the bottom of the box, the box broke and there it was. No hands or weapon, but it's still pretty darn cool, and saved me $40. :D

SithDroid
10-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
What are the chances of Mr. "I'm a violent 80's realistic looking GUN toy in a 21st century mamby pamby PC world" Megatron getting made?

ROLLO!

Couldn't agree with you more EP! I remember back in the day they didn't have all these "safety" conditions that they need today on toys. I say if a parent can't teach a child how to respect a toy then that child deserves what they have coming to them. I never had any problems or accidentally swallowed anything from when I was a child. And because of all of these "PC" people now I have to suffer from extremely flabby Star Wars weapons and such. America is a little bit TOO uptight when it comes to most things IMHO.

As for the commemorative series. I saw Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime at TRU the other day, but I passed on them due to the $40 asking price. Maybe if they were closer to $25, but I remember back in the 80's when they came out they weren't THAT expensive. I hope that they release a commemorative Megatron, but if he has some major safety coloring, I can guarantee a lot of fans will be passing on him.

Exhaust Port
10-02-2002, 09:41 AM
I've found a couple webstores preselling an upcoming Megatron release. The one thing that caught my attention is that you must be 18 or older to purchase. Most likely this has to be due to the fact that it's a <gasp> gun. None of the stores advertising the presell have a picture of Megatron so we can only hope that nothing funny is done with his paint.

On a similar note, have any of you seen the resently released official list items forbidden to be taken on an airplane? Look at the second to last item on this list:

http://www.tsa.gov/trav_consumers/aircraft_prohibit.shtm

Yup, it seems that we'll all be spending sometime in the slammer for taking our Megatron's with us. It amazes me that the US government made a specific reference to a toy from the 80's. Must be some Generation X 'ers on the payroll. ;)

Adam
11-26-2002, 11:33 PM
more reissues:

Optimus Prime and Sidewipe in dreamwave boxes. A chance to get an unaltered Prime in a sweet box? I'm game. I've never had Sideswipe so that will be cool too.

Powermaster Optimus Prime w/ Apex Armor and Starscream are getting ready to be released for the commemorative series. Anyone planning on getting these? I think I'm going to just get God Ginrai, he's the same and way cheaper the PM Prime will be. Starscream I'm still undecided on.

PLUS, e-hobby New Years exclusives were revieled: Deep Cover and Clamp Down. They are both recolors of Sideswipe/Red Alet (Takara is really milking that mold for all it's worth aren't they?) These run a little a expensive, so I don't think I'll get them. They look cool though.

plasticfetish
11-27-2002, 02:42 AM
I really wanted to get all three of this first series ... it does look pretty cool having some really mint boxes up on the shelf ... but for the life of me, I haven't seen an Optimus anywhere. There's no way I'm buying it on the secondary market ... more than half the fun of these is finding them in the store.

Yeah ... I wish they were all just a little bit cheaper too ... no doubt, if they were 25% less I probably wouldn't cringe so much when it came time to pay (he says, gathering all of his spare change for when the next bunch comes out.) I'm still trying to decide whether I'll buy PM Optimus ... it will be kind of a novelty getting a japanese version of the toy in an american box.

Adam
11-27-2002, 11:07 PM
The second wave of reissue Primes is either on its way or on a TRU shelf near you. I can't decide if I want this version of Prime.. his shortened smoke stacks bug me. I may end up getting him and opening for display alongside my G2 Prime, and then get the Dreamwave reissue to go with my others. Can't decide for sure though.

Rogue II
12-02-2002, 08:18 AM
I saw Optimus Prime at TRU this weekend. I don't collect Transformers, so I didn't know he was re-released. Anyway, I thought it would be a funny gag-gift for my brother. He had Optimus when we were kids. I went over to the price scanner, and saw it was $40. I put it back on the shelf and decided I would just tell him about it.

The Commemorative Series is a good idea, but way too expensive.

Adam
12-02-2002, 11:37 PM
It is. But then again, Prime had to be pretty exspensive back in the eighties. The cars were 15. With inflation, Prime would be around 40, but maybe lower. I'm too tired to actually do the math. :D

Anyway, BIG NEWS! Fortress Maximus is being released in Korea! Why is that big news you ask? Because some internet retailers sell Korean transformers for dirt cheap! And these aren't cheap knock-offs! They are OFFICIAL Takara products. TF's in korea works the same way it does here in the US - they get them from Takara. So its like getting Japanese exclusives for half the price. Expect Fort. Max to be around $55 dollars, which is an AMAZING price for that peice. Its important to note though, that this is probably the "Car Robots"/Robots in Disguise Fort. Max. Which means he won't come with some of the accessories the original release did. But for $55 dollars it should be worth it.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Is there a website that you can order from Korea? I know of a couple that ship out of Japan for those of us looking for their toys.

Adam
12-03-2002, 04:15 PM
I haven't been able to find one that ships outside of Korea, but places like bigbadtoystore might get them. As soon as I find out, I'll post it here.

sith_killer_99
12-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Kewl, one of my soldiers left and went to Korea and another is on his way come January.

Maybe one of them can hook me up.

Adam
12-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Brave Max(Fortress Maximus) is now available for Pre-order at BBTS. Its going for $129.99. I know thats way higher than I said before, but I found out that $55 price tag was a sale price on a Korean e-tailer website. $130 is not a bad price, considering the original ran at 80-100 bucks.

If you do order one REMEMBER this. The colors are not like the original fort max, and he does not come with all the weapons and accessories the original did.

It's too bad I won't have enough money for one of these untill well after Christmas. May not be available by then. :(