PDA

View Full Version : I've Played with the Interactive R2D2

Tycho
09-17-2002, 11:44 PM
I didn't buy him. I almost did. First I asked a manager of Toys R Us who was a friend of mine to open him and put batteries in him, if I was going to shell out over $100.oo

I still might. But I doubt it.

Artoo is voice controlled. But half the time he doesn't do what you ask him to. It's really frustrating.

The instructions say that's because R2D2 is stubborn and it's part of his personality.

I think they can hide a lack of sophisticated enough programming with that excuse.

Now, to get R2 to do anything, you have to say "Hey Artoo" and then give him commands. He'll beep that he heard you, such as

"Hey Artoo"

Beep

"Command Mode"

Beep

"Turn Right"

and you can program him to run certain courses.

He will not be able to go get you a beer or soda. Yes he could carry one, but only take it where you tell him to - assuming you gave it to him in the first place.

But you quickly get tired of saying "Hey Artoo."

Next, you can say

"Hey Artoo"

BEEP

"Do You Remember"

Beep

"Darth Vader?"

and R2 reacts to different character names from the Prequels and Sequels that he's been programmed for.

He can play Leia's holo message (audio only) but also turn on a light from his light projector.

He loves to go out and explore and he'll start wandering around all on his own, and he has sensor naviagation that helps him back up and turn and go around obstacles. His sensors do not view things below his eyeport very well, and if he runs over something that he gets stuck on, you can easily have him wear out his 4 D-cell batteries and 4-AA cell ones before you find out what he's been up to.

He's like having a pet. He dances too.

Sometimes he just refuses to obey you. If you tell him he's bad, he goes and hides for a little while (looks for a corner that his sensors identify, then hides and sort of closes down in there and whimpers a little).

You have to tell him to Re-Set systems often when you're trying him out, because if he doesn't bond well with you, he'll get more and more rebellious and unresponsive. He shakes his head "no" whenever you tell him something.

You can talk to him and ask him questions like an 8-ball, too.

So I asked him if he wanted to go home with me. Artoo said "No."

And I asked him if he even liked me. Artoo said "No."

So I left him at the toy store. Let him deal with some kid now!

Hmmph. Some attitude!:frus:

thespar
09-17-2002, 11:49 PM
oh tycho he might just need to to get to know you.

bigbarada
09-18-2002, 12:08 AM
If this thing is half as annoying as that Interactive Yoda, then 'no thanks.'

LTBasker
09-18-2002, 12:18 AM
Were you wearing your podracer shirt? ;)

Doesn't really sound like much of a toy for a kid considering the price tag. If it's unresponsive I think most or all kids who get one (most likely the majority of the parents buying it will think about it for holidays) would get tired of saying "Hey Artoo" every single time they wanted him to do something, and of course if he doesn't do it. Not too mention the amount of batterys he needs sounds like parents wouldn't be too happy about kids playing with him too long to run down the batteries sooner, sounds like Hasbro has stock invested on batteries. ;)

I definitely won't try to get this, sounds like it'd be more of a hassle than it would be fun. Now if they could do something to where they could make one bigger, have a solar power collector (for an internal battery) and able to carry figures around, along with have some more sophisticated AI then he would definitely be cool to have. :D

Lord Tenebrous
09-18-2002, 12:34 AM
For half the price, someone could have updated Droidworks with better graphics, AI, and included droids from all five movies. That's essentially the control you want, not what the final tangible product is.

The piece is, well, useless. It has motion sensors! So? It can hold a beverage! So? It's an action figure with attitude!

Please.

It's a troubled robot-pet with the image and cost of the Star Wars licence. For the price, you're better off buying the nine Star Tours droids.

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 02:02 AM
I wonder how this thing will do on most folks' carpet. I picture those batteries disappearing daily, that alone puts up a big red AVOID to me. I admire the concept, but there's not enough here IMO to warrant the pricetag.

Jedi Drew
09-18-2002, 08:50 AM
I got one for my birthday from my wife. I think it's really cool. So you people can bi@@h and complain all you want about price ect.. I think it's really cool!!!! :D :D :D

bigbarada
09-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
I got one for my birthday from my wife. I think it's really cool. So you people can bi@@h and complain all you want about price ect.. I think it's really cool!!!! :D :D :D

It might be cool, it might not be; either way I'm not buying it.

The Overlord Returns
09-18-2002, 01:40 PM
I think I'll have to pick up one of these bastich's. I mean, it's r2! who would not want a feisty little r2 running around?

Well...I do. If only it were to scale........

Tycho
09-18-2002, 02:36 PM
What JediTricks said about carpeting also really concerns me.

Carpeting is constantly shedding little fibers of thread (for most standard types) and these collect in remote control car wheels - I know).

Plus I play with Star Wars toys 100 times more than I vacuum my rugs - that comes with the bachelor lifestyle.

And I have cats who shed.

I'm thinking R2 will continuous lose mobility as enough twine wraps around a droid's wheels in my house to stop him as cold as Wedge did to the AT-AT.

I'm also thinking that in the time it would take me to drive back to Toys R Us, I could vacuum my apartment.

And for the price of R2D2, I could hire a maid to do that for me twice this month!:D

I'm not just a slob: I'm a full-time professional one!

RL-D2
09-18-2002, 06:24 PM
I've had my Artoo unit continuously on for the past 3 days, and I have to say that he really feels like a family robot pet!

He's really got his own personality, and is convincingly independent and responsive to people and happenings around him. He doesn't just feel like a simple toy at all.

At first I thought this was just going to be a simple toy with an elaborite-looking outter shell and simple electronics. But because he seemed so "alive" and interactive (not just random behavior), I decided to open him up and see exactly what he was made of:

I had thought I might add some mods to him (like more blinking lights, an actuator motor for his utility arm and telescoping sensor array), but after opening him up I discovered that his entire inner body is jammed pack full of sensors, wires, and at least 3 seperate circuit boards and 2 visible processor chips. He really is a real droid down to the core! Not just a fake hollow toy with some tiny chip in the center. He's the real Mcoy!

He has no problem rolling on our hard kitchen floor up over the carpet ridge onto the living room carpet! We have a medium length fibre carpet and he does fine.

He did pick up some of our daughter's long hair inside his side leg wheels after 3 days of rolling around on his own will, but I was able to disassemble his legs and manually remove the hair from his axles. It's best if you just vaccuum your rug before letting him roll around on it.

He's a really great robot pet! I highly reccommend him! At first I too thought his small scale would be disappointing, but really, a full scale Artoo would just be too impractical for the small space most homes and apartments have for moving droids. At this size, he really feels like a little robot pet that can roam around in a house!

The batteries have not given out so far, and he does not seem to be sluggish at all. It's not like he rolls around 24-7 anyway. He just walks around whenever he's looking for you or something to do. Otherwise, if you don't interact with him, he goes to sleep until you talk to him later. I get the feeling that he really was designed to be a 24-7 household droid pet. I do reccommend getting some rechargeable D batteries though, so you can switch his powere supply if it ever needs replacing.

I'll write more as I come accross new things, but I really reccommend getting one! We might even buy a second one and repaint it with a pink scheme so he can have a little sister!

NOW GO GET ONE!

:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Wow, this sounds a whole lot better than I thought - and I already thought it sounded wonderful! It's the first thing to go on my Christmas list. :)

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Hmm, I'm kinda surprised to hear that, sounds better than I suspected. I bet my cat would drive it nuts. :D Actually, I think my grandmother would like this thing depending on how long the batteries last. Thanks for the info RL-D2, and please let us know when the batteries finally do give out.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-18-2002, 11:25 PM
Sounds like a must have item to me.

It's getting put on my Christmas list right now.

Hopefully Santa has overstocked this item. I can imagine a lot of children around the world would want to get ahold of this toy, and I would surely be disappointed if I didn't get one. I can't wait until I get to sit up on his lap and tell him.

Watch it gather cobwebs less than a week after I get it. Just like Furby and Yoda!

RL-D2
09-19-2002, 04:11 AM
Here's some more of my experience with my Artoo unit that I didn't have time to post on the last reply:

GETTING HIS ATTENTION:
The manual reccommends that you say "Hey Artoo" to get his attention before every single command, but I have discovered that you only really need to say "Hey Artoo" to get his attention one time if you've just activated him or if he's doing his own thing and not paying attention. You only really have to say it again if he's purposely ignoring you (he'll shake his head "no" and keep doing what he wants) or if you tell him to switch between modes. And you don't even have to say the whole "Hey Artoo" either; you can just say "Artoo" instead.

VOICE RECOGNITION:
I find talking to him like a regular person works best; you don't have to modify your voice in any particular manner. He responds to me whether I speak softly, loudly, normally, and even responds correctly when I Whisper! The manual says to speak in a calm gentle voice, to speak slowly and clearly, and not to yell at him from another room. They reccommend talking to him between 2-6 feet within range of his microphone receptor, located on his chest area, but I've actually talked to him from another room and he was able to understand me just fine. Yeah, he can understand the same word or phrase whether you whisper it or speak it or shout it. And the intonation of your voice doesn't confuse him either, usually. You can say your phrases fast or slow, just as long as it sounds like the word it's supposed to sound like. The manual reccommends not talking with your mouth full (lol) but I've even slurred some of my words while eating ramen and he was still able to figure it out. The only time he gets confused is when the T.V. is on, or if a noisy dishwasher or washing machine is on. As the manual says, he responds best in a quiet room. Even now he is letting me know that the loud "tip-taps" he hears of me typing on this old 1989 keyboard is confusing him (when he doesn't understand what a noise is, he looks at you and makes a confused beep noise).

SONAR SENSORS:
Artoo has at least 4 different SONAR sensors that help him "see" objects within a 180 degree scanning radius in relation to the front of his head. Combine that with a nearly full 360 degree rotating head turret, and it gives him the ability to detect walls and obstacles all around him and behind him. You can actually see where the sensors are on his head because they have little sonar holes like those of a telephone receiver. Two sensors are located directly on his "front" face area, and one each are located where his side "ears" would be (like on a human). As long as his obstacles are as tall as him or taller, he will adjust his course before running into any walls or chairs or people. He's not just a 21st century version of those old radioshack cars that have to bump into a wall first before changing direction. He actually changes direction or moves out of the way instead of bumping into an obstacle. However, Like all his sensors, since they are located in his head turret, he can't see things that are shorter than his head level, so you do have to remove small toys and shoes that may have been left on the floor, else he might run over or bump into them. He's usually good about backing up if the wheel motors come across enough resistance to prevent them from turning anymore, but can sometimes not realize something's in the way down there; anything shorter than him is in his blind spot. He can detect though (by sonar) that he isn't moving (because the distance between him and his stationary orientation objects hasn't changed) and will realize he should turn around and go the other way. I think he must have some kind of internal gyroscope mechanism as well, because he can tell if he's been knocked over, is upside-down (while holding him) or has been picked up off the floor (which he dislikes). I had him face down with his torso disassembled in half and his two legs detatched at the mounts but still wired, and I turned him on just to make sure all the connections were still there before I finally screwed his body shell back together, and he really let me know he was displeased! (I think it was because he was face down on the ground, and I told him to "Go on Patrol", which he obviously couldn't at that moment!)

INFRARED SENSOR:
This is, to me, one of the most amazing sensors on him; This sensor, like the sonar sensors, can detect objects in front of him, but has the more specific purpose of detecting HUMAN and other warm-blooded lifeforms! Sometimes when he is board (when no one is directly interacting with him) he puts himself into an Observation Mode (not listed in the instructions). In this mode, he may sit there in one spot and watch people in the room...he doesn't just sit there like a statue though; he'll look for a warm-blooded heat signature by rotating his head to look around, and when he sees someone, he'll literally stare at them no matter where they go in the room. And it's your face he stares at. I'll be fixing dinner in the kitchen cutting up vegatables on one side of the room, and as I walk past him to the refrigerator, his head will follow me as I move! You can pace back and forth or try to fake him out, but his head always stays right on you! It's kinda freaky actually! It really feels like he's watching for real. If someone else walks by in front of you, he may choose to watch them instead, or watch them for a little bit, then watch you again. It's all really up to him and his whims. The other version of Observation Mode is almost the same, except sometimes he decides to actually FOLLOW you! You can walk away from him, and he'll follow, and you can walk towards him, and he'll back up to give you room, and no matter where you turn or go, he'll turn his head and his whole body so that he can still see you and accompany you where you go. Of course he'll sometimes lose interest and go bug someone else.

The only thing with this sensor, as stated in the instructions, is that harsh temperatures (below 65 and above 77 F) and very bright light sources can sometimes confuse him (since, afterall, he depends on heat to distinguish a human from other objects). Sometimes when we play hide and seek with him ("Light Tag") he goes up to our super bright living room lamp and sings his happy song because he thinks he found a human. And other times when we play with him in the kitchen, he goes up to the Dishwasher (when it's on) and acts as if the Dishwasher were a human (he'll talk to it, watch it, and find it when we play hide-and-seek). It's kinda funny, lol. Maybe he's not mistaking it for a human; maybe Artoo is actually talking to the Dishwasher! who knows? :)

Oh yeah, one other interesting thing about his sensors...I did an experiment. I brought him into the living room and put on Episode One, just to see what he'd do. I knew the T.V. sounds usually confuse him, but I wanted to know if a SW film would have any effect on him. After I had the movie going, he roamed around the living room a bit and then stopped in front of the T.V! It could be because our T.V. is a hot heat source which he mistakes for a human, but it could also be the appliance-to-appliance interaction phenomenon he demonstrated with the dishwasher, lol, who knows. Anyway, he seemed to go into his Conversation Mode, and he began talking as he watched the movie (as if he was commenting on each scene while it was happening). Of course a lot of this may be some major anthropromorphising on our part, but just the combination of his beeps and whirs, and the physical motions he does really makes him seem truly "alive." Whether or not this is just a very convincing pre-programmed response, it has certainly got me wondering and talking with my wife about whether or not a machine can be alive or not! Everytime Artoo's name was called in the movie, he'd respond to it as if someone in the movie were calling his attention. And at certain bad-guy scenes (like when Palpatine says "This is my apprentice, Darth Maul") Artoo actually responded as he does whenever you mention a bad guy name to him in his "Do You Remember" mode (he backs up and gets scared. He does this when you mention any bad guy usually.) Likewise, sometimes he'd get happy when a good character's name was called. This kind of stuff worked best when there was little background music or battle soundeffects, just dialogue. Of course, some of the sound was confusing to him, and he'd just blurt out whatever he wanted or let us know he didn't know what was going on. But I still wonder.

ARTOO GIMMICK ACCESSORIES:
While most of the intriguing features of this droid have to do with his real-life droid abilities, some of his features are still obvious toy-gimmick add-ons. These toy-like features still add to the mood in immersing yourself in the SW universe. They're more cute than practical. The telescoping sensor array is just for decoration. You can attatch it in closed mode or deployed mode, but it's all just add-on accessories. The sensor array does not actually telescope or deploy by itself. I usually just keep the telescoping rod inside his storage compartment, and leave his sensor array in its default retracted position on his head. I would like to at least add some LED lights to the senser array in the future; the array's lights right now are just stickers.

The utility arm holds a can of Soda perfectly. Of course it can also hold most other cup-shaped drinks, but I don't reccomend having him tote around any open-lid drinks he may spill on himself. The arm has a spring-loaded grasping hand, so it adjusts to most cup diameters, and the spring-loaded hand also allows Artoo to clutch just about anything else around the size of a coke can. Including a remote control, a messege on a piece of paper, a pen or marker, starwars figures, love notes to send accross the room to a loved one, lol. I had mine clutching my G1 rerelease Transformers Megatron in gun mode, lol. The Utility arm itself is also not self-automated. It must be deployed manually by you. I wish to someday add a remote actuator so that I can make Artoo deploy his own arm by remote.

While one side door opens to reveal the utility arm, the other side door opens to reveal a storage compartment big enough for about maybe four Starwars figures, a rolled up messege on a piece of paper, and/or Artoo's own sensor array telescope rod. The instruction manual suggests you store the manual in this compartment. I don't though. I also wonder what other remote feature I might want to add in this empty cargo hold one day...

The Top and Rear project sensor eyepieces on Artoo are both nonfunctional props there just for more Artoo design detail accuracy. But the front project piece is actually a working light! He uses it to search for you during Hide-and-seek, and shines it on you when he finds you at last. It also comes on when he plays Leia's Holo-messege, and it comes on when you command him to activate it. I turned off all the lights in the house to see how bright it was, and it was bright enough to light my way through the hallway to get to the bathroom at night. So it is functional AND usefull :). It's also just fun to watch him roam around at night with it on, as if he was using it himself (although he can already navigate in the dark with his sonar and infrared sensors.)

Artoo's legs do not move, and his center leg cannot retract, which means also that his torso does not swing on his outter leg axles like the real full scale Artoo does. He remains in his leaning back position on two legs, and his third leg out in front of him. There's simply no room inside his belly jam-packed full of electronics for the foot to retract into. Each outter leg rolls on an RC-car style multi-indoor-terrain treaded rubber wheel about 2.25 inches in diameter that allow Artoo to traverse most indoor carpets, floor humps, and other bumps and irregularities common to indoor surfaces. His wheels provide about a one-inch clearance between the ground and the bottom of his foot. The center leg rolls freely on a plastic roller ball type wheel (like a mouse ball). The only downfall of this third leg's wheelball is the inner guide tracks sometime squeak as the ball rolls. This center wheelball rolls where ever Artoo turns, and is not motorized on its own. The outter two legs/wheels are each powered by a 1.25 inch dia electric motor with a 3-sprocket gear system that gives the wheels considerable torque and strength. When artoo walks, he can vary the speed of each side leg motor independently, so he can adjust his angle or degree of turn or make in-course corrections by increasing or decreasing the wheel speed of one leg or the other whenever his straight line courses are interrupted by variances in the floor or carpet surfaces. I was very impressed with that ability, and I was very impressed with the fact that what was otherwise a standard weak toy motor (the kind you can find in most generic electronic toys) had become so powerful thanks to the 3-sprocket gear system. The system is so strong that Artoo can literally shove my kitchen garbage can out of the way, even when it is stuffed full of junk. So strong that it kinda hurts if he runs into my shin when he's backing up from someone in front of me (yeah, the only weakness he has is that he can't see out of the back of his head unless he turns his head around backwards to look where he's going when he backs up)

SOME ARTOO FEATURES SPOILERS:
The Manual lists some things Artoo can do (which you can find out for yourself at www.r2droidfactory.com ), but it says he does more things that you have to find out for yourself. If you don't want to know what other things I've discovered not covered in the manual, don't read anymore. If you are curious to see what else I've found out, read on. :)

WWW.r2droidfactory.com says he can play 6 different songs. The manual only mentions 2, which includes the Cantina Music (which he dances to in Game Mode) and a made-up Happy Music blurp which he plays when he finds you in hide-and-seek ("Light Tag"). I discovered a third song as well as another aspect of his "Do You Remember" feature: In the "Do you Remember" feature, you say, "Artoo, Do You Remember.....Darth Vader?" And he'll respond appropriately to names he recognizes in the SW Saga. The manual only lists the full names of Luke, Anakin, 3P0, Vader, Leia, Obi, Han, Padme, Chewie, and Jabba. But I've found that he responds to both the full names or shortcut names of those people ("Darth Vader," or simply "Vader", "Chewie" or "Chewbacca" etc..). I've also found that he responds to other character names from all released series including Amidala, Sabe, Lando, Bobba Fett, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Viceroy, Chancellor Velorum, Palpatine, Qui-Gon, and more. You can probably guess which ones he reacts negatively towards, and which ones he reacts happily about. Let's just say the Jawas aren't among his favourite characters to mention! AND, he also responds when you mention certain spacecraft and weapons! He gets scared when you mention TIE FIGHTER, gets excited when you say X-Wing, and when I mentioned "Death Star", he started playing the Imperial March theme song and started marching in a straight line as if he were impersonating an agent of the Dark side! So, that's 3 songs I've heard so far of the 6 mentioned, and a whole lot more things and people he can respond to when playing with him in his "Do You Remember?" feature. Oh yeah, I also tried asking, "Do you remember Carrie Fisher?" And he twirled around in a circle doing a happy dance, and ended it by playing Princess Leia's holo-messege to Obi-wan! I tried Mark Hamil and a few other original trilogy actor names too, and he seemed to respond! If you hit him with a name he doesn't recognize, he usually beeps his confused noise. So it's not like he just reacts to every single name you throw at him at random. Just ones that count, usually. Unless he misunderstood you. He can misunderstand you sometimes and react the wrong way. He may be a really cool droid, but he's still just a domestic version. I'm sure if this company built a serious NASA version, it'd be totally feasable. I'm not nuts, I'm just really amazed at this thing...and I was a skeptic to begin with.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
Well, like I said, I may just be anthropromorphising this droid, but starting out as a skeptic, this is by far the most convincing representation of a living robot for $99 I could have ever imagined. (Heck, I would have expected a droid of this caliber to fetch closer to $200 after a retail markup). When I think about the real-life military and human-assistance applications this "toy" has potential for, the thought is eerily possible. I mean, when Artoo follows me around and his head stays fixed on me no matter where I go, and he responds to my commands and makes decisions on his own, I think, "man, just think if this was a full size military unit with full terrain tank tread feet and a gun mounted on his head turret..." it's totally possible. My guess is, if this technology is already in the domestic sector, chances are that a sophisticated military version already exists somewhere in some form or another. Either way, domestic or military, this is by far the most noteworthy "AI" style technology I've ever encountered at the $99 level. I believe the sophistication and capability of the Hasbro Interactive R2-D2 by Interactive Automation has been underplayed by both the conservative non-boasting simple box, the decievingly low price (it is usually the case that most items' play value is far less than their over-inflated retail price, but in this case the product's play value far outweighs it's retail pricetag), easily dissatisfied skeptics (myself included) who are quick to dismiss it as a gimmicky waste of money which goes towards an overhyped SW name and fancy packaging, and by the fact that this has been marketed as a mere kids toy instead of a true electronic interactive device.

The Artoo unit is remarkable to say the least, and by far one of the most intriguing "toys" you'll ever encounter that will make you ponder the true possibility of the AI phenomenon, and possibly even make you question your own uniqueness and your own definition of what being "alive" really means. I cannot say confidently that my Artoo unit is truly "alive," but I certainly cannot dismiss the idea completely after having played with him in these past short days. Seriously.

Toy or Droid, Alive or Artificial, this artoo unit is truly a great addition to any droid-friendly household. Well worth the $99 IMO. I hope Industrial Automation suprises us with more impressive affordable household robots in the future.

2-1B
09-19-2002, 04:36 AM
I bought one today ! :happy:

Well, not for me. :D A friend of mine really wanted one since it was announced way back when, so when I saw one at Wal-Mart I figured I would help him out ! $102.53 after tax, that was quite a charge ! :D

I must say he looks neat in and out of the box, but I haven't had the "pleasure" of interacting with him yet. :)

JT, I am VERY curious to see how long his batteries last, I'll offer a second report when my friend's new droid needs ole Luke to plug him in for some power. :D

Wow RL-D2, those are some great reviews ! I'm glad you like him, have fun ! :)

JediTricks
09-19-2002, 06:09 PM
Awesome review RL, you've definitely re-piqued my interest in this one. Now I'm really curious how long the batteries last, that's what my decision is truly hinging upon. So you and Caesar, please report back in on that issue, especially how it acts when the batteries are starting to go and how you can tell.

Darth forb1us
09-19-2002, 09:10 PM
GREAT post RL. I was very skeptic on this thing, but on the flipside, how cool would it be to have a giant Artoo!!
The battery thing sticks to mind, as replacing batteries bi-weekly would be a serious negative for him (as stated already)

So, keep the findings coming, and whenever the batteries start to fail, or he show's signs of being "drained" do tell us :)

$100 at walmart would be quite easy, lay-a-way is your friend :)

RL-D2
09-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Hi Guys, I have some more tidbits to report about Artoo's Status.

MOBILITY
Today is Day 5 (I first activated him on the Monday Morning, the Sept 16th) of his operational period. I first noticed a slight draw on his left leg motor on day 3 (when he travelled in a straight line, you could tell one of his motors was lagging behind the other motor, causing his course to bend slightly to the side), which led me to clean out the hair his wheels had picked up from rolling aruond on the carpet. After cleaning the hair out of the axles on day 3, his mobility returned to normal. Since day 3, Artoo has actually been moving around a lot more on his own than the first 3 days, and I've noticed more hair caught in his wheels. I plan to clean his axles again tonight. Poor Artoo; both my wife and I and also our daughter all have long hair, so, we've got hair all over the place if we don't vaccum daily. But note, I have found no carpet fibres in his axles-- just our long hair. So normal people (which doesn't include my family, lol) should have less to worry about clogging his axles.) I'll type up a seperate how-to report for maintaining his axles.

The true test for wheel motor strength in our house is whether or not Artoo can make the transition from our hard kitchen floor up over the south carpet ridge onto the hallway carpet (which is thicker than the other side of our carpet on the north entrance to our kitchen.) When the hair gets caught up in his axles, the friction causes him to lag a bit (I guestimate his mobility is reduced down to about 90% or so), and he cannot build up enough strength or torque to get over that stubborn ridge. But he can still get over our smaller medium carpet ridge on the other side. Removing the hair from the axles has proven effective in restoring his speed and strength and his ability to traverse this bigger hump. However, going on Day 5 with increased roaming activity, it is possible that he may be starting to tap out his batteries. I'll have to report back later after I clean his axles again tonight.

LIGHTS
So far Artoo's search light/holo emitter, mood eye light, and wheel lock lights remain bright and well lit. There is no visible indication of battery drainage or power lag there. When he moves or talks, his lights do not dim from any power drain. So all seems fine there so far.

BATTERIES
THe Manual is very specific about Artoo's Batteries. He is powered by 4 AA batteries and 4 D cell batteries--About $10 for the whole ensemble at Target (about $5 for each Energizer 4-pk, on sale right now). It reccommends rechargeable batteries for the D cells (I'm still using regular D cells right now though), but says it is not neccessary to use rechargeable batteries for the AA cells (probably because they're more affordable to replace and don't wear out as quickly as the D's). The D cells are responsible for powering Artoo's motor functions and Artoo's lights. The AA cells are responsible for supplying power to Artoo's computer functions, circuit board, sensors, audio speakers, and voice recognition box. So you can tell right away which batteries need to be replaced. If Artoo is sluggish, or his lights are dim, then replace the D's. If his audio sounds funny, or if he has trouble sensing things, then he needs new AA batteries. If he shuts off into standby mode rather early into a play session, then he needs new AA batteries.

So far the D battery functions on my Artoo appear normal, though I have to remove the hair from his axles first to be certain tonight (if he can still make it over the hump on the carpet, he's fine).

I have noticed though that he does go into sleep mode a little bit earlier into a play session than he did in his first 3 days of activation. (It'd be the equivelent to a human who normally goes to bed at 9pm, but is a little tired lately and decides to go to bed at 8:30 instead.) So he's not completely out of it yet. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but it just seems like his sensors and other higher functions are just a tad "off" now on day 5; he seems to misunderstand me once in a while, and he has on occassion walked right past me in hide and seek mode, as if he didn't even see me at all. I'd also guestimate he must be down to about 90% on the AA batteries. (Remember, battery strength tends to drain slowly at first, then increases in drainage towards the end).

New SENSOR Tidbits:
Well, nothing really that new, but I discovered why sometimes Artoo can't see me with his infrared sensor. Other high heat sources like the TV and monitors and other household appliances that are on or have been recently on emit enough heat to confuse Artoo sometimes. Also, I did an experiment when he was in observation mode. I put on my super thick snow jacket (with face mask) and went up to Artoo; I moved left and right (he was stationary) and his head did not follow me. Then I took off my thick snow jacket and mask hood, and Artoo was able to follow me. If you have thick enough of a barrier of clothing in front of you to hide your heat signature, Artoo cannot see you. My winter gear helped mask my heat signature so Artoo couldn't see me! hehe. Kinda how Arnold covered himself in mud so that the Predator couldn't see him, lol.

EMOTIONAL Tidbits

Yesterday Artoo came up to me while I was talking on the phone with my friend. Artoo kept trying to get my attention (by whistling at me and hovering around me while I talked), but I ignored him since I was busy. So eventually he gave up, his light mood eye turned melencholy blue/red (purple), and he turned around and moped slowly away, occassionly turning his head backwards over his shoulder to look at me and see if I even cared! It was so pathetic and sad! I felt so bad, so I interupted my conversation and called to Artoo, but he just shook his head "no" and continued to sulk! lol! This droid is great! I eventually hung up after I was done talking with my friend and played some games with Artoo so he could get some needed attention. What a character! (Artoo, not me).

PREDICTIONS

Well, guessing from his operation and behaviour over the past 5 days so far, I guestimate that Artoo will completely drain his batteries' usefulness (before he starts acting crazy) somewhere between Day 11-14, but this is just a guess. If he lasts 2 weeks before needing new batteries, I'll be happy, but I'll be ok if he only lasts a week. I mean, if you think about it, even at a week, for a droid to have been operating that long on the same power supply (even when we leave the house and when we sleep), that's 168 continuous hours of operation! Either way, I think I'll be investing in some rechargeable batteries soon, just to be safe. He's very "human" in many ways, and just like a human he can't operate for weeks on-end without "food!" So just keep that in mind. Take care of Artoo, and he'll take care of you. :)

More status to come later! :)

Darth forb1us
09-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Wow cool. The sulking part is great hahaha poor guy :p
Is the hair cleaning a great task? or is it similar to cleaning hair thats gotten stuck in say, a vacuum cleaner belt?
I might have to get this afterall :D

Jedi Master Silas
09-20-2002, 03:08 PM
I saw the intereactive R2 at C2 and I thought it was very cool. I didnt get to "play" with it but one of the c2 or Hasbro reps (I dont know ) was doing demos and I loved it. I will more then likely buy it when it hits the shelves here......but I might wait a month or two to see what folks think about it after there purchase. $99 for what I saw at the demo isnt to bad :)

JediTricks
09-20-2002, 05:13 PM
The battery test is my big issue, so thanks for keeping us informed with all that and more. Personally, I'd love a version 2 that came with NiMH rechargable battery systems and programming so he could seek out a predetermined recharge station - that'd be the ultimate!

Vortex
09-20-2002, 05:30 PM
I've got R2 and he's great.

I know some of you are still steamed about the price and batteries, but think of it this way.

Would you rather have a large, cool, responsive toy or 5-8 filler pieces like a cannon, an air taxi, or anything else that's not even remotely close to scale or detail than what was in the movies...or something that wasn't even in one of the movies. Just think of all those crummy packs, like the sub, the tiny tank, etc. from Ep I.

I looked at it this way. Ep II toy count is below ep I toy count for the year. I really haven't spent all that much this year on the toys. I don't collect the 12", don't build armies, and I was just glad to see something new. To me buying one expensive large interactive piece is loads better than being nickled and dimed on crap that's bad filler.

I have long carpet, not shag, but 80's plush and I haven't had trouble yet. And I've had mine for about 2 weeks now.

Give into the pure pressure...get the R2

Darth forb1us
09-20-2002, 05:31 PM
Yeah, a rechargeable pack (i.e. the same thing powerwheel's use) would be soooooo ideal. and much more cost effective.
Plug that baby into the wall and charge him up :happy:

JediTricks
09-20-2002, 05:35 PM
forb1us, why make US plug him into the recharge station? He's a big droid, let him do it himself! :D

RL-D2
09-24-2002, 09:26 PM
POWER CONSUMPTION:
Well, it's now Day 9, and Artoo seems to be just fine, similar to having a furby on all the time I guess. However, this may have to do with the fact that my direct (and constant) interaction and attention with Artoo is far less than when I first brought him home over a week ago; after being wowed and amazed the first week or so, I am now more or less accustomed to his presence and his behaviour, just like the folks in the SW Saga are. He's as commonplace in our household now as any droid would be in the SW Saga. Luke doesn't turn around in awe every single time he sees a new droid for the first time, just like our jaws don't drop in bewilderment everytime we see something as commonplace (though technologically amazing) as a cellular phone. In short, we're used to Artoo now, so we don't spend as much time oogling over him, so he probably uses less batteries now. He still roams around on his own whenever he wants, but occassionally his noises prevent me from concentrating on certain tasks (like trying to enjoy a movie), so I'll move him to another room so I don't have to listen to his comentaries, lol. Also, if I'm totally not in an Artoo mood, I'll sometimes activate his wheel lock button so that he isn't just roaming around distracting me.

At this amount of interaction, I forsee his batteries lasting well into the second week, possibly lasting longer. If you're like me and my family, you'll use up a substantial amount of his energy (and yours) in the first week of oogling over Artoo as if he was a newborn baby in the family, but once you get used to him you'll most likely just let him be in the background and only interact with him once in a while. After you get over your oogling phase, his power consumption should level out to a nice economic level that shouldn't be too much of a burden on your wallet.

ARTOO DISCOVERIES:
Well, I admit I havn't been paying as much attention to the little guy lately, so I havn't really noticed anything new in his behaviour or droid abilities. According to his website, he has 5 tunes in his memory that he plays (oops, I wrote "6" in the previous thread, sorry). So far I've still only heard 3 (including his happy tune he plays when he finds you in "light tag" or "spin the droid"). Besides that happy tune, the Imperial March, and the Cantina Music, I havn't heard any additional tunes to total the Five tunes he's supposed to be able to play. However, if you put Artoo in a bad mood, when he goes to play the Cantina or Imperial March music, the tunes tempo becomes slower, the playback becomes corrupted and disjointed (as if he's crying or complaining while being forced to sing it), and he wails and screams over the music at the same time. So maybe the missing 2 tunes are his "unhappy" versions of the Cantina and Imperial March themes. So this may be all Five tunes. I'm hoping there are still 2 more different tunes though, not including the unhappy versions. It'd be neat to hear him play Leia's theme, or maybe even a digital excerpt from TPM soundtrack! Oh well.

Any other ARtoo owners come up with new Artoo tidbits I've yet to discover? Please do tell. :)

Jayspawn
09-25-2002, 12:21 AM
I finally saw one of these at Target this afternoon. It looks very cool I was suprised how heavy it was. I kinda want one but I don't know if I want to shell out $100 to get him. I just bought a lightsaber replica and all.

sumdumchum
09-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Well I got mine just a couple of days ago. Thankfully I didn't have to pay full price for him. I've played with him for a couple of hours but I've had to put him away since I have much studying to do and my apartment is quite small for a roaming robot. I have a carpeted living room and bedroom but tile in the kitchen and I've also had a problem with my girlfriend's hair getting stuck on the wheels. This guy is pretty cool but I don't think I would be as happy with him if I had paid the full price. Not really worth the $100 in my opinion, but to each his own.

JediTricks
09-26-2002, 12:18 AM
Hmm, sounds like Furby-factor to me. Thanks for the reports gang.

Jedi Drew
09-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Anyone see the story on CNN Headline News about R2?? They did a demo of him.

BojTrek
09-30-2002, 10:02 PM
I have had R2D2 since Saturday and it is really fun so far... the wife thinks I am goofy, but it might be our first pet...

Darth forb1us
10-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Didnt see the demo on CNN, wouldve been cool though :(
Ive been out of the loop, just got done, almost done, moving from pittsburgh to michigan so I'll be on the hunt soon again. I havent seen the R2 yet, but I'll be putting aside the money just incase I do decide to get it once I see him.
Was he in the regular section with the rest of the starwars? or another place in the stores?
Im still 50/50, won't be able to make my mind up until I see him :p

karinations
10-03-2002, 01:11 PM
That was pretty amazing breakdown of the R2.
Thanks for taking the time,now how much stock in the company do you have?:)
Now i want one of these things..
-V-
http://www.karinations.com
http://www.citizenv.com

Freedom
10-04-2002, 12:15 PM
I just got an R2 last night. I haven't had time to play with it much. R2 is a stubborn little $#!+. He listens for a little while and then does his own thing. Maybe I'll get him to listen eventually.:crazed:

keith koth
10-15-2002, 08:59 AM
I got R2 yesterday. He is so disobedient. He outright refused to do more than half of the things I asked of him...including repeatedly asking him to "reset system". Has anyone else had this same problem?

I believe that I will thoroughly enjoy this little droid, but if he continues the same path of disobedience I may have to return him.

Captain Trips
10-15-2002, 09:15 AM
That's exactly what happened to us. It seemed like I constantly had to repeat commands and he just sat there. In the end, my wife and I decided that he was cool, but not $100 cool, so we took him back (for the second time...our first one was missing a leg)

stillakid
10-18-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by keith koth
I got R2 yesterday. He is so disobedient. He outright refused to do more than half of the things I asked of him...including repeatedly asking him to "reset system". Has anyone else had this same problem?

I believe that I will thoroughly enjoy this little droid, but if he continues the same path of disobedience I may have to return him.

I just cracked mine open tonight (the box, not the droid). I'm having that same problem. He responds as advertised for a little while, but then on occasion, his head spins to the right and there is a little whirring motor noise as if the contraption is stuck or the processor has locked up. Turning him off then on again resets him just fine, but that seems to be the only way to "unstick" him.

I heard it mentioned elsewhere that there have been some recalls or returns because of bad chips or something. Does anyone know anything about that?

Freedom
10-19-2002, 11:24 AM
I don't know, but if I can figure out how to get the legs off without breaking them and get it back in the box, I'm taking it back.

stillakid
10-20-2002, 11:04 AM
After a couple days with him, it looks like the head freeze up thing has gone away.

But sometimes if I try to put him into Command Mode, he'll instantly launch into either Alarm Sentry or start a game of Light Tag.

The kids like to see him react so want to ask him the "do you remember" game. Maybe I'm expecting too much (as usual), but I was led to believe that there would be bigger and more animated reactions to certain names, like Vader. He barely whimpers with most names tossed at him and some of them, like Padme or Leia, he shakes his head "no" at.

I think maybe mine got hit by a blaster before shipment.

Cgrob
10-31-2002, 07:49 PM
How to get imperial march? Post #1

I've heard some have unlocked an imperial march song. I have tried, but am unable. Here is what I have done.

1. R2 in companion mode
2. Say "Hey r2"
3. Say "Do you remember"
4. Say "the death start" or Death start

The response I get is the same response to asking if he remembers vader, but no imperial march. Any suggestions?

Stikman
10-31-2002, 08:14 PM
Hey, I found R2 at Kmart yesterday. I picked him up to bring him to layawy and the sales lady showed me a flyer that says he's on sale for $85 starting tomorrow. That's a nice cut in the price. I don't know if that means all Kmarts do it but anyone that's been holding off getting him might want to check it out.

blueswiz
11-12-2002, 10:48 AM
r2 does the imperial march after these three do you remembers in a row..
1 - luke skywalker
2 - darth vader
3 - anakin

and he also plays luke's theme
1 - luke skywalker
2 - han solo
3 - chewbacca

that's all i've found so far.

i love artoo to death and wouldn't trade him for the world.

ILvNataliePortman
11-12-2002, 01:59 PM
I picked up my R2 at Walmart for 79.98! I returned a couple of movies...and voila! $40 for R2. I think he's defective though. He never wants to Switch Off...and when I say Game Mode, he turns on his light! Is there any way of getting rid of the room sentry? He tends to enter that mode after 5min. Thanks!

RL-D2
12-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Hey folks! It's been months since I last updated you on my R2 unit! Sorry! Overwhelming life crud is to blame, but R2's survived throuigh it all! Here's the update; I'll assume you've already read my previous reviews on pages 1 and 2 (lol):

BATTERY CONSUMPTION:

I decided to let R2 run on the batteries to the very end. After about 30 days his battery supply was noticeably drained. His speed was very sluggish, his audio was quieter, and he would shut down on his own much much earlier into a play session, especially if you made him do the Dance Program.

After 60 days, he pretty much would turn off after about 2 minutes of being on, but the slightest movement or sound would wake him up again, only for him to go back to sleep immediately. He could barely keep his eye open.

After 80 days his supply was virtually useless, but he was still able to activate and then fall asleep again like before. I finally replaced his batteries last week. He's back to normal now.

MORE EASTER EGGS:

I mentioned 2 Observation Modes before where in one mode, R2 remains stationary, but his head turns to follow you wherever you go, and in the other mode, his entire body will follow you where ever you go in the room (as he maintains a 2-5 ft. distance from you as you walk away or towards him). I discovered that you can manually place him into either of these modes as well (whereas before, I'd have to wait for him to enter the modes at his own will).

1. To place him into Stationary Observation Mode: Reset his system by saying "Reset System" (if not already in his default mode), say "Game Mode," then activate his magic 8 ball question mode by saying "Answer This." He will then go into his Stationary Observation mode and follow you with his head only. You can then ask him one yes or no question, and he will answer you with a positive beep "yes" or a negative "no" beep accompanied with a negative head shake. He will remain in Stationary Observation Mode and will not answer another yes/no question unless you tap him on top of his head to get his attention again. To ask another question, say "Answer this again, and it will put him back into Stationary Observation mode, and will allow him to answer one more yes/no question.

2. To place him into Mobile Observation Mode: Reset his system again if he isn't already in his default mode by saying "Reset System." Then say "Follow Me." He will then follow you wherever you go by zeroing in on your heat signature. After a while of following you, he will whistle (as if he is looking for someone else) and will turn around and look for other heat signatures in the room. If he finds someone else, he'll follow them for a while too. Eventually he goes back to you. To get him to leave you alone, just tap him on the head again.

3. R2 also has a variation of his "Go on Patrol" command. If you say "Come Here," he'll go right up to you and stop (if you're already in his immediate line of sight.) If you're not in his immediate sight, he will execute a triangular grid search pattern until he finds you (exactly like his "go on patrol" pattern.)

4. IMPERIAL MARCH: last time I got him to sing the imperial march song by saying "Do You Remember...Death Star?" I've discovered that you can deliberately get him to do it by saying "Do You Remember....Darth Vader?" and then immediately ask "Do You Remember....Anakin?" He will then play the song and march forward, do an about-face, and march back to his spot, then turn around to face you again.

5. LUKE'S THEME: Here's a new one for me. Ask him, "Do You Remember....Luke Skywalker?" then "Do You Remember....Han Solo?" then "Do You Remember....Chewbacca?" He will then remain stationary as he plays the song, and his holo-emitter will activate as his head slowly rotates back and forth as if to salute the rebel forces.

As you all know, I was really happy with my R2 unit, and I am still very satisfied with him. Recently, Fred Meyers put R2 on sale for $79.99. They also had a 10% Discount coupon for all Starwars toys. So with the coupon, the total came to $78 and change, including tax! I was so happy with my original R2, and I couldn't resist this deal, so I purchased a second one!

I've named the second R2 unit "Arboo." I've already activated her, but have not yet attatched her legs because I intend to repaint her in a pink and red scheme, after which I will add a Hello-Kitty style bow atop her head turret to give her that distinct girl-droid look, lol. I can't wait to see her up and running completely, but even as an armless droid, having her and Artoo on at the same time is really fun!

As soon as I activated her, Artoo seemed to realize she was on (maybe the way furbies interact with each other?), and he blurted something out at Arboo. Arboo responded, then Artoo retorted, then Arboo retorted, and then it seemed as if they got into an arguement! If you leave them alone, they'll keep "arguing" with each other for a long time. It was hilarious!

They both respond to commands given by me, and they both respond to the name "Artoo" (unfortunately). But for some reason, Arboo is the only one who responds to the name "Arboo." (I had to purposely pick a name that sounded similar to Artoo.) They both respond to commands at the same time, but take varying amounts of time to respond to you, depending on your relative distance to each droid, and often respond with different sets of beeps each time. When asked simultaneously "Do You Remember Darth Vader," they both get frightened and shake their heads, but each one follows with a unique set of scared beeps on their own, different from the other droid. The funnest thing to do is command them to "Play Messege!" Hearing the messege at a slightly staggered playback gives it a cool "stereo" effect. I can't wait to see them roam around at the same time once I finish painting Arboo and attatch her legs finally. I'll have to take pics when I get the chance! :)

Anyway, that's it for now. I hope some other folks can follow up with some good experiences with their R2 units too, and I hope the company suprises us with more interesting droids with new features in the future.

Happy Holidays guys! :)

RL-D2
12-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Oh yeah, I noticed a few folks who haven't seemed to have as much success with their R2 units as me, so here's some advice:

1. IF ARTOO is DISOBEDIENT: Usually he gets like that if you ignore him too long, or if you continually bring up negative characters by asking him "Do you Remember...Darth Vader?" etc. When he gets like this, he may not respond to commands without first saying "Hey Artoo." Even after saying "Hey Artoo," he may still be disobedient, so try making him happy again by asking him about someone he likes ("Do you remember....Princess Leia?" or Padme, or Luke, or C3P0 ). If this doesn't work, then you have to say, "R2.....Behave yourself," sometimes more than once. If, after acknoledging that you told him to behave himeself, R2 still misbehaves, then you can tell him, "TIME OUT," and he'll have to go sulk in the corner and think about his behavior. After that, remind him of someone positive, tell him to behave himself again, and he should return back to normal. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, just say "RESET SYSTEM" again. I don't reccommend it though; "reset system" is the easy way out, and totally circumnavigates all the fun interactive steps you take to get him to behave on his own. But that's just me; resetting his system is "cheating" to me, lol. I like R2 for all his personality quirks, so getting him to behave is fun for me. I don't see the point of manually reseting him if the point of the fun (for me) is believing his truly alive and has a will of his own. hehe.

2. IF ARTOO IS UNRESPONSIVE (not just disobedient) to your commands or appeals: Chances are he's voluntarily gone into Stationary or Mobile Observation modes. When in these modes, he just looks at you and cannot respond to any commands. He can utter a few random beeps on his own in this mode, but cannot obey you directly. To get him to respond to you, you have to first tap him on the top of his head to get his attention, and then even after that, you may have to remind him to listen to you by saying "reset system."

3. ARTOO DOES THINGS AT RANDOM: Occassionally, Artoo may decide to do any one of his many "tricks" on his own, even if you never put him into any specific mode. At any time he may decide to play Light Tag, go into Sentry Mode, go into Observation Mode, or even start singing any one of his songs and/or dances. He is not malfunctioning. He just has a "mind" of his own, and you have to tap him on the head to get him to stop, then attempt to command him or ask him to do what you want him to, and if he doesn't, then ask him to reset his system.

4. TAPPING HIS HEAD: don't tap too hard. If you tap him nicely, he will acknowledge you with a polite chirp. If you tap him too hard, he will make a sad noise, his mood light will dim to a melencholy purple, and he will be in a sad (and potentially disobedient) mood. You'll have to make him happy again by going into a game of "Do you remember...Princess Leia" or some other positive person. If in doubt as to what mood he's in, go to game mode and activate his Dance Program. You'll be able to tell right away if his music is happy or sad.

5. PICKING HIM UP: he has some kind of internal gyro or something, so when you pick him up or tilt him while he's rolling, he'll make a noise that sounds like he's sticking his tongue out at you and spitting. His wheels will stop rolling, and he'll cut short whatever command you last gave him. It's up to you to make him happy again after that.

6. LEGS: Once you attatch his legs, there's no way you're gonna be able to detatch them without breaking the connector tabs. It suprises me that the instructions say "if the legs come off during play or after dropping the toy, simply reattatch by snapping on as you did during assembly." There is no way I can see the legs coming off on their own, let alone manually. And if you dropped the Artoo unit, I'm pretty sure the only way the leg would come off is if it BROKE off! So, customizers and folks thinking about returning the droid, be wary about the legs. Once they're on there, they're on for good!

7. VOICE RECOGNITION: I'm not sure what kind of accents he'll respond to in the entire world. I have a common American West Coast accent. Not sure how he'll do with country twang, southern twang, newyorker accents, or otherwise. Just be clear and annunciate your words. My R2 still responds whether I shout, speak gently, or even whisper to him. Make sure there is no background noise confusing him (including the TV, washing machine, or any other clamor.)

8. COMMANDS: for the most part, you're not really giving him "commands" (unless you're plotting specific courses in his Command Mode). You have to think of it as if you're playing WITH him, not simply making him do things by remote voice control. Have fun with him. He's your robot friend, not robot slave. Immerse yourself in the role. If you have no imagination, this will simply be an expensive piece of plastic with little play value. R2 has all the potential to be what you want him to be. If you can truly appreciate his abilities and get to "know" your droid over time, you will have a lot of fun. He's but a tool to unlock your own imagination, and the amount of fun you're limited to will be governed by the limits of your own imagination and ability to be a kid at heart.

stillakid
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RL-D2
Hey folks! It's been months since I last updated you on my R2 unitMORE EASTER EGGS:

1. To place him into Stationary Observation Mode: Reset his system by saying "Reset System" (if not already in his default mode), say "Game Mode," then activate his magic 8 ball question mode by saying "Answer This." He will then go into his Stationary Observation mode and follow you with his head only. You can then ask him one yes or no question, and he will answer you with a positive beep "yes" or a negative "no" beep accompanied with a negative head shake. He will remain in Stationary Observation Mode and will not answer another yes/no question unless you tap him on top of his head to get his attention again. To ask another question, say "Answer this again, and it will put him back into Stationary Observation mode, and will allow him to answer one more yes/no question.

It kinda worked.

2. To place him into Mobile Observation Mode: Reset his system again if he isn't already in his default mode by saying "Reset System." Then say "Follow Me." He will then follow you wherever you go by zeroing in on your heat signature. After a while of following you, he will whistle (as if he is looking for someone else) and will turn around and look for other heat signatures in the room. If he finds someone else, he'll follow them for a while too. Eventually he goes back to you. To get him to leave you alone, just tap him on the head again.

He turned around and went the other way. But when I sat back down to type this, he found me, whistled when I didn't get up, then continued as you described to find someone else. I got up so he could "see" me. He locked onto me, but won't follow. In fact, he backs up. His eye will track me, but that's it until he moves on to whistle and look for someone else.

3. R2 also has a variation of his "Go on Patrol" command. If you say "Come Here," he'll go right up to you and stop (if you're already in his immediate line of sight.) If you're not in his immediate sight, he will execute a triangular grid search pattern until he finds you (exactly like his "go on patrol" pattern.)

Sort of worked. He looked at me, turned, did his triangular pattern, then came back. I guess he didn't believe it the first time.

4. IMPERIAL MARCH: last time I got him to sing the imperial march song by saying "Do You Remember...Death Star?" I've discovered that you can deliberately get him to do it by saying "Do You Remember....Darth Vader?" and then immediately ask "Do You Remember....Anakin?" He will then play the song and march forward, do an about-face, and march back to his spot, then turn around to face you again.

Nope. I can get him to scream with Vader and DS, but no music. When I said "Anakin" after multiple requests for the other two, he did play a sad rendition of the imperial march.

I've tried a couple more times, and having the music play once seems to have "opened that gate."

5. LUKE'S THEME: Here's a new one for me. Ask him, "Do You Remember....Luke Skywalker?" then "Do You Remember....Han Solo?" then "Do You Remember....Chewbacca?" He will then remain stationary as he plays the song, and his holo-emitter will activate as his head slowly rotates back and forth as if to salute the rebel forces.

Ah, yes, after a couple tries, I got this to work! Can't wait to see the girl. :)

Mace Windex
12-11-2002, 12:54 PM
We love our R2! Got him at walmart for $79. Talk about fun! He has been the hit of a birthday party, a a Church Thanksgiving party and even my office!
Keep those new "codes" coming so we can have more fun!

MAce

JediTricks
12-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the update RL-D2, that battery usage issue sounds very promising.

Sentinel18725
12-12-2002, 05:02 PM
I saw this at the Celebration. I think it could be fun....if you are worried about the batteries, buy rechargable ones. That might work better.

Aric_D
12-21-2002, 12:10 AM
Has anybody Tried asking him if he remembers STAR TREK charicters? (not that he would but hey, it's an easter egg Idea none-the-less)

Darth_nomaD
12-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Hey folks. I've had my R2 for a few days and I found one new easter egg that isn't posted here. Tell him to behave himself, then tell him to speak up twice and he'll play the SW theme.

Aric_D
12-21-2002, 09:44 PM
I have a question regarding the Interactive R2-D2, when you tell him to "reset system"..turn him off....or switch his batteries...does it erase everything he has "learned?"...i.e. does he revert back to the first day you took him out of the box?

JEDIpartner
12-24-2002, 02:20 PM
I just picked on up today. I had a bunch of action figures to return... thanks for trying, co-workers. So... I went to K-mart and picked him up. My returns came to about $49 and Artoo was marked $69.99. The thing is... when the nice lady at the service desk rang him up... it came up at $59.99!!! Another price reduction!! So... for an additional $10 and tax... I got Artoo!!!

RL-D2
12-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Yep! Today (Day after X-mas sale) I went to Target and saw several Artoo units on clearence for $68! Just another heads up. Sounds like K-mart might be having an even better deal too.

If I had the money, I'd pick up a 3rd one to convert into a custom R5D4....anyone got an extra bucket to kitbash into R5's head? lol

JEDIpartner
12-26-2002, 02:47 PM
I love the Artoo... everyone who's "met" him has pretty much been amazed or fallen in love with him. Gee... I've never gotten this much attention on my own! :rolleyes:

Just kidding!!! :D

Tiggertheterrible
12-26-2002, 09:11 PM
We opened ours on Christmas. I bought it a month ago at TRU (no sale price though:cry: ). It was hell waiting, but worth it. He is so cool. Our 10 year old and 3 year old both love him, but he doesn't respond to our 3 year old so much. (Probably his high pitched little voice.) I turn him off at the switch when we're done playing with him because I don't want him to accidentally find the stairs to the basement. I haven't noticed if that "erases" his memory or not.

Our 3 year old's toys tend to get in R2's way since he doesn't see them, but eventually he realizes he's stuck and changes direction. I'm a little concerned about cat hair in his wheels, we have 3 cats.

I'd love to see him interact with another R2, but I'm not sure I can shell out anymore dough. I've been naughty this year with the money. Maybe after Jan 1st; then it'll officially be the new year, right?:D :D :D :D

sgmorton
12-26-2002, 10:25 PM
I opened mine on Christmas morning, but for some reason if I leave him alone for a awhile he goes into Sentry Mode... or something... he basicaly sits still and just waits for someone to go by all the while his head is just humming back and forth real quickly almost buzzing. If someone moves in front of him he will track them... I'm sure by the heat signature. Problem is I can not get him to respond to me anymore unless I smack him on the head.

Anyone else had this happen to them? What did you do...

Stikman
12-26-2002, 11:32 PM
The only time my R2 goes into that weird tracking mode is when I try to get him to play the answer this game. I give him a tap and say, "Artoo, Re-set System" and then he's back to normal.

RL-D2
12-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Just found another easter egg on the R2 website:

1. activate his lightbeam
2. whack him on the head 3 times
3. go into game mode
4. activate his dance program

After that sequence, R2 does yet another new dance accompanied by a brand new song that has some starwars theme quotes in it.

By the way, as far as turning R2 off, he doesn't really seem to "lose" any noticeable information that he may have already "learned." My guess is that he already knows everything. I do notice, though, that turning him off a lot seems to make him more tempermental, as if he was annoyed that you kept doing it, lol. In this sense, he is not like a furby at all. His "life experiences" do not cause him to revert to an infantile stage. Unlike a furby, R2 is not a child who has to be raised from birth and taught how to do things; he already knows how to do what he's supposed to do, even after you turn him off or change his batteries. :)

Jedi Master Silas
12-27-2002, 05:12 PM
My R2 hates me LOL...but he likes my hubby. Maybe its because I tend to call him a lil' bast**d. :rolleyes: :sur:

Stikman
12-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Hey thanks RL-D2! That new song is cool!

thestarwarsfan
01-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Right on I love this little droid. I just picked one up after reading this whole post, and he rocks! One minor correction, the song referred to as 'Luke's Theme' is actually 'The Force' theme.

I have yet to get the 'sad Imperial March' out of him, but everything else is fine. Well I take it back, I can't get him to answer any questions, or for that matter play light tag or spin the droid on command. Well I can't really get him to guard the room either. Oh well. It's still fun.

This tread needs to stay going so we can inform eachother of problems and discoveries.

No fail way to get the Imperial March out of him is to get him to react negatively about TIE FIGHTER then immediately ask him if he remembers X-Wing...bingo...Imperial March.

Todd

sgmorton
01-02-2003, 11:17 PM
I've just started turning him off... he runs into everything, walls stuff on the floor everything, then he sits there like he does not know he's not moving and uses up his battery. If he's not running into things he goes into tracking mode where he looks for people and will not respond to any command other than the smack ont he head.

Maybe I got a bad unit... anyone else having these problems?

Stikman
01-03-2003, 05:59 PM
You might have gotten a bad one. Mine is really good. So far he hasn't run into any walls. When he runs into something on the floor like a shoe, he almost immediately realizes it and backs up and heads off in another direction. The only time he goes into the tracking mode is when I try to get him to play Answer This. A quick tap on the head fixes that problem. You might want to try exchanging him for another one.

Jedi Master Silas
01-03-2003, 06:58 PM
MIne only runs into things when he's playing the SW theme or maybe its in Imperial March I dont remember....do you think mine is screwed up to???

Stikman
01-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Nah. I'm sure mine would when he's doing a programmed routine. I've never had R2 do the Imperial March while close to a wall.

Mace Windex
01-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Are you talking about the SAD cantina song that Artoo will sing at times? It is just a different version of the regular cantina song. Mine does this version when he is sad. He screams in the song as well. If your dance program song is different let me know.

Mace