PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sales

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-17-2002, 11:11 PM
At the end of last summer, I said to myself, 'self, you should start attending garage sales because who knows what hidden treasures you will find there.'

Of course this summer I never got to attend any, even though our city has had tons of them, many of them on my street.

I once knew a girl who found a Beanie Baby that was worth almost a thousand dollars at a garage sale. She got it like for a couple of bucks.

My question is for anyone who frequents garage sales. Have any of you found any real Star Wars gems while at these sales? Or is it all just junk?

I always tell myself to start attending them, but I never get the time or energy to do so. I betcha I passed up on a lot of neat stuff.

rynobot
09-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Back before before Episode 1 came I use to find vintage SW figuers for pocket change.

Master Goeweins
09-18-2002, 12:04 AM
My girlfriend loves garage (or yard) sales. So going along with her, I have scored a couple times.
Most recently I got a 12" Ep 1 Anakin new in box (still sealed) for $.50. SOOO much better than the original $17. I also find a lot of micro machines and action fleet opened vehicles.

'Course, you also have your lunatics. One guy had loose vinatage figures that looked pretty weathered. He was asking for $100 each, regardless of character. Nut case. I didn't even bother asking to drop the price.....

rynobot
09-18-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins

'Course, you also have your lunatics. One guy had loose vinatage figures that looked pretty weathered. He was asking for $100 each, regardless of character. Nut case. I didn't even bother asking to drop the price.....

You- "Yeah, I'll give you a $1 for that Biker Scout."

Him- "What, that is 100X less then my orginal price! Get out of here, I don't serve your kind."

You- "What?"

Him- "You nerds. You'll have to get outta here."

You- " I better leave, I don't want to cause any trouble.":) :p

Eternal Padawan
09-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Last week, my mom showed me a vintage Yoda hand puppet she had found at a garage sale. She said the guy had tons of old figures still on the cards, but she didn't call me because they were all dusty and not in very good condition so she didn't think I'd be interested.

I'm still whimpering... :( :cry:

ROLLO!

stillakid
09-18-2002, 10:56 AM
Before Ebay, it was possible to find boxes of "parts" and figures for reasonable prices. You might get lucky, wandering past Ma and Pa Kettle who don't have a clue, but for the most part, things like Ebay and Antiques Roadshow have all but ruined the chance of building your collection at reasonable prices. Everybody is out to finance a college education now.

robman71
09-18-2002, 12:16 PM
I spent most of my youth and early adulthood putting together a very impressive comic book collection. Many of these included a complete run of the X-Men from #1 to the current issues (about 223 I believe) and many other Marvel and DC titles. At the time of this most heinous crime, I was in the Navy and out to sea for the summer. My wife at the time, thinking she was clearing up closet space decided to have a garage sale. :eek: When I returned duty about two months later, she handed me a $32.00 stack of one dollar bills and told me to go have fun. When I asked her where this had come from, she proudly proclaimed that she had sold my entire collection in the garage sale for $32.00:mad: I just about had a heart attack when this came out. Needless to say I ended up sleeping on the couch for about 5 months afterwards (yes, I was that mad!). The moral of the story is that you just never know what you are going to get. Some shmuck walked off with a $2,000 comic collection for $32.00 and my now ex-wife thought she was just clearing out my junk.

Arrogant Arse
09-18-2002, 02:07 PM
I usually see common loose figures at garage sales. They are usually pretty beat up, and go for up to $2-$3. I once bought some Vintage figures from a guy for like $3 a piece. They were common, but had weapons with them, and were clean.

My best(?) find was the Star Wars VCR board game -mint- for $1. The game was kind of stupid, but James Earl Jones did the voice of Darth Vader on the tape.

icatch9
09-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Finding good stuff at Garage sales is just like finding money. You know it happens, but never to you. I've been to a bunch of sales this summer and didn't find a single star wars item. Only things I bought at all of them was a Pretty new VCR tape of 2010 for $2.00, Spawn #1 figure with no accosories for $0.50, and A HE Man Character (The Evil Hord guy whose eyes bug out) for $0.50.

Pretty pathetic, huh? I did find $10 once when I was 5, that's a ton of money back then let a lone to a five year old :D.

Eternal Padawan
09-18-2002, 03:44 PM
hey, robman. My dad has that exact same story except it was old 45 records, and it was his mother. He still talks about his old 45s with a hint of regret...

I've let everyone in my family know that selling ANYTHING of mine is a death worthy trespass.

ROLLO!

Bobajames
09-18-2002, 03:49 PM
Garage sales are where i found almost all of my vintage figures (before they released the potf2 line) It was SOO cool. I also found (for under $5) Millenium falcon, AT-AT, Y-wing, rancor, and a couple others i think. haven't found a damn thing since ep 1.

TylerD
09-19-2002, 01:43 AM
I haven't really ever found anything Star Wars related, albeit a banged up vintage figure for $.25 once. However, I do find some good bargains on videos, books (I am a Bookaholic ;) ) and boardgames etc.

187-Maul
09-19-2002, 08:52 AM
I got some vintage figs and two vintage x-wings for a couple of buck just at the beginning of the POTF2 release but sold them about a year later again cause I didn't collect starwars yet back then! stupid, stupid, stupid (I do have Crix Madine and Luke stormtrooper (without helmet) left from the lot though)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-19-2002, 09:26 PM
If our family ever had a garage sale, we would become megabizillionaires based on all the junk we have laying around the house, not even counting my Star Wars collection.

Heck, we'd become millionaires through selling board games alone. Many of them unused too. Tsk Tsk. I remember how much fun we had playing those games. And how determined I would be playing those games, even at a young age.

And how I would throw the board when I lost.

And storm to my room.

(can't talk, reliving painful memories)

Darth Vellner
09-19-2002, 09:30 PM
I have found a Vintage C3-P0 costume and 3 or 4 Vintage figures (common ones)
The best place for me is GOODWILL.... I found - Vintage- Rancor, Landspeeder, ANH on VideoDisc, Star Wars Soundtrack on Record...Just in the last couple of years!!
As for the newer stuff- I got my Falcon, Queens ship W/droid, Naboo fighter x 2, X-wing x 2, A-wing w/2 figures inside!Snowspeeder, AT-AT W/both figures And Lots of Legos...All complete!!!

JediCole
09-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by robman71
The moral of the story is that you just never know what you are going to get. Some shmuck walked off with a $2,000 comic collection for $32.00 and my now ex-wife thought she was just clearing out my junk.

That is a sad tale that is all too common, be it spouse or parent or others. I was one of the lucky ones. I started collecting at the age of 12 in 1977 with the Early Bird Set. That is not the really fortunate part. I was blessed with a mother who had the foresight to recognize that Star Wars was going to be huge! I don't think I was poised to be all that different from any other kid back then. I probably would have remanded my collection to a cardboard box or three when I went off to college, only to have the whole lot sold a couple of years later during spring cleaning by the folks. But my mom insisted that we keep everything, even the packaging whenever possible. Well, we did not get that obsessive, but I am proud to say that the bulk of my vintage collection consists of the figures, vehicles, and playsets I bought as they came out from 1978 until about 1985.

Now this elaborate preface is appropriate in that the one, solitary, single piece from my vintage collection that was lost in a fire was the Imperial Shuttle! And it was not burned or smoke damaged, or even water damaged. It was fireman damaged! This was 14 years ago, around the time I was getting married. Most of my collection was out of my apartment, but I had left the shuttle in the doorway between rooms of the apartment. Right in the path of the firemen as they came to put out the blaze in the rear portion of the apartment. It was trashed, and of course I don't have anyone to blame but myself. I was going to work and just put it on the floor when I left for work that day instead of leaving it on the shelf.

Anyway, a few years later I was contacted based on an ad I put in the paper stating that I was buying Star Wars toys. I was invited to look at the Star Wars items that did not sell at a garage sale. Much to my surprise, one of the "rejects" was the Imperial Shuttle! And at a mere $20.00! Needless to say, it is in my collection. Luckily I had the foresight to keep all of the removeable parts of my original shuttle (battery cover, ramp, guns, etc. The canopy was smashed and was not part of what I kept. I switched out whatever was better from mine with that that came with the "new" one. So, needless to say, that was a great find.

I also paid $20.00 for a Death Star Playset (complete with even the "trash", missing only the "rope") at a comic convention many years ago! I passed the thing twice before it set in that the price tag (a piece of paper taped to one of the struts) only said $20.00. I never parted company with a twenty faster, or with a better purpose. About a year later I discovered that the only piece I still had from my childhood Death Star Playset (one of the few pieces I did not still have)! Odd to find something so nice at such a great price at a comic convention!

In more recent years I don't find much at garage sales. Yes, eBay is often the culprit, but I don't think that is entirely the problem. I think that more people are KEEPING thier Star Wars toys, and indeed other toys. Another factor is that there are more people out there seeking toys of all kinds (for eBay sales perhaps). There are things to be found at times, but you have to look a LOT harder than you used to.

TylerD
09-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Death Star Playset for 20 bucks? DANG dude, what a DEAL!!!!!

InsaneJediGirl
09-21-2002, 07:45 PM
I havent seen much of anything SW at a garage sale in a while.One person was trying to sell a stripped down X-Wing for $3 dollars:rolleyes:

Goodwill is the place to look if you want to find loose figs though.I've heard of a number of sucess stories...I myself have found a few vintage SW books for .50-$1,the only problem was the kid wrote his name in the book.No big deal though:D

Robman,you have my deepest sympathy.I cant believe anyone would throw out their own husbands stuff without asking first.,:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

master jedi
09-21-2002, 08:04 PM
Yeah. Goodwill is a great place. I load up on star wars books when I go there. Once while my sister was there she picked me up a 2-3 inch stack of vintage Star Wars cards for a buck. $1. Can oyu believe it?

LTBasker
09-21-2002, 08:13 PM
I've never gone SW hunting at garage sales or anything like that, but I think I definitely should start checking out Goodwill and garage sales now, though I've heard from my family when they go on their shopping trips around town that there is really never any Star Wars stuff about. :cry:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I've never gone SW hunting at garage sales or anything like that, but I think I definitely should start checking out Goodwill

LT,

While you are at the Goodwill, checkout their many assortment of used women's underwear. You wouldn't believe how many good pairs of undies ladies throw away. Their fun for dressup!

Also. garage sales? Who would be silly enough to sell their garage?

:crazed:

(sorry, there's a full moon tonight)

rynobot
09-22-2002, 12:26 AM
Today I found at a Yard Sale; Green Card Tusken Raider w/ Hologram and closed hand, Green Card Grand Moff Tarkin w/ hologram, and two Green Card 2-1B Medical Droids w/ holograms, they all costed $2.00 each.

2-1B
09-22-2002, 01:03 AM
Vintage Death Star Gunner for a dime. :)
That's the only figure find I have to boast of. :D