PDA

View Full Version : Lousy Toyfare, you fooled me with your Simpsons celebrity customs !

2-1B
09-18-2002, 01:13 AM
:mad:

Ahem, the new toyfare arrived the other day, with the headline
"Simpsons Shocker ! The celebrity toy you won't believe. Plus: Playset Previews"

'Hmm, what could that be?' I wondered . . . so I flip to the inside, and see the picture I've attached below. Imagine my delight ! :happy: I can't believe they are actually doing him ! :happy:

Oh, but then I read the preview in tiny print off to the left:
"We couldn't wait any longer, so we went ahead and made the Simpsons celebrity toys we most want to see!"

Frankly, I'm peeved because their cover should not be so misleading. :mad:

I will however say they made some very cool customs, if interested I will share more (since many of you gave up on Toyfare :D ).

The last custom they showed was Stephen Hawking, and apparently Playmates is actually going to make him ! :)

Beast
09-18-2002, 01:26 AM
That's why I quit reading that abomination known as Toy Fair. Not only do they have insane prices in their price guide, but their magazine seems to have become pretty crappy all around. This isn't the first time they mentioned somthing up coming, and the fine print says the pictures are custom. I still love the fact that they list the "Iron Cross" He-Man as worth $40-$50. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
09-18-2002, 11:14 AM
Oh man that sucks. But Playmates need to make a Simpsons Mark Hamill figure. I read ToyFare because they have some great pictures and some funny captions. I find the information reliable but the price guide is WAY off.

thespar
09-18-2002, 12:50 PM
they only reasons i was reading toy fare was for the funny capations. i also found that they where take along time to list new toys and when it point them to some toys the make the more complete they more add them. so for the time being i am with lee

Lman316
09-18-2002, 02:03 PM
"Simpsons Shocker ! The celebrity toy you won't believe.

The celebrity toy, not toys you won't believe. It's one toy: Stephen Hawking. So, that's not lying. I wasn't misled, I wanted to see which single toy they were talking about. But that's just me.
I actually love Toyfare - it's my favorite magazine of all time!
Granted, I get all the Star Wars info on here first. Usually what I see in Toyfare involving it, I've seen on here way in advance. But there are other toys, many other toys that I get my first looks at in that magazine and with a good article to go along with it. I get a lot of information that I normally wouldn't otherwise. But, when I didn't have the Internet, Toyfare was great at bringing up the new Star Wars stuff, letting me know what I should be looking for in the near future.
I find the magazine to be completely entertaining and informative (no, I don't work for them.....oh, I can't wait until someone says that), and just plain funny. I always save the Twisted Toyfare Theater until last...it always cracks me up. How could anyone not like that? :p
On the issues of the price guide: meh. Doesn't anyone realize, first, that those prices were put in when they were writing that issue, so of course the prices would not reflect accurate amounts at the present time. And for those that don't match up at any time, I would say that they're not keeping their eyes just on Ebay, but rather toy shows and other vendor oriented areas. I'm sure that someplace someone is getting $40 for a Cross He-Man - so that would be accurate, IMO. Just because you don't see it happening, doesn't mean that it doesn't...

But, "thems" just my two cents.

End...

Exhaust Port
09-18-2002, 04:50 PM
I too enjoy Toyfare and wasn't mislead by the issue. The problem arises is when you just look at the pictures and don't read the articles. The same thing can be said for Playboy. ;)

Toyfare bashing is one of those bandwagons that a lot of people just love to be on. "How dare they say that this toy is great when it clearly isn't 100% true to the movie." Give me a break. I think the magazine provides tons of information that isn't necessarily available to the majority of us and they do it with some humor. It isn't the gospel, it's just a resource.

Yes, their price guide has may holes in it but I haven't seen one yet that doesn't. As the old saying goes, it's only worth what someone pays for it. And as Lman316 said, chances are someone is paying that price for those figures/toys.

2-1B
09-20-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
The celebrity toy, not toys you won't believe. It's one toy: Stephen Hawking. So, that's not lying.

Who said they lied? :confused:

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
The problem arises is when you just look at the pictures and don't read the articles.

What article? :confused:
Like I said, there was a pic and then a tiny caption to the left . . . this is in the mag's table of contents.
Am I supposed to read the tiny print before taking notice of a Mark Hammill
photo? :rolleyes:

Sorry, my bad. :D

Lman316
09-20-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Who said they lied? :confused:

Um...why, no one did. No one did at all. This thread was all just a dream, Caesar. Just a dream. :happy:
And we all just dreamed about that Mark Hamil figure, you see. Yeah, dreamed it. That's the ticket. Yeah.

End...:crazed:

Exhaust Port
09-20-2002, 10:51 PM
Ok, so maybe you don't consider it an article but there are 4 opening paragraphs that basically explain what the following 2 pages are about. Personally I read this before diving into the rest of the pages and wasn't suprised that those figures were customs done for Toyfare.

I rarely believe what I see until I've read any associated text in Toyfare or anyother magazine for that matter. It usually lessens the number of times I find myself misled.

DasGoot
09-30-2002, 01:20 PM
Hello, everyone.

Man, I never expected this article to be so confusing. We do a lot of "we wanna see it" articles with customs, it just happens that with this one, Playmates announced they were making a Stephen Hawking after we commissioned it, so we put it in the article. It was not meant to be misleading, like I said we do it all the time.

As for the guide, Yeah, it's still a little off in places, but in my defense, the Iron cross He-man was only listed at $50 when it first came out and the speculation was high. It dropped heavily in the next issue and it's currently listed at $16. (I'm trying to get the prices fixed in the rest of the guide, but the research is fairly slow going. I'm actually the first ToyFare price guide editor. Before me, one guy did all three of our guides.)

Jon Gutierrez
price guide editor
ToyFare & Anime Invasion

thespar
09-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Dasgoot welcome to the forums. with one guy working on on a three i see why their was a hard time keeping up. i will problem give toy fair another chance after my specation to your compation runs out.

Beast
09-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Welcome aboard, DasGoot. It's nice to see someone from one of the top three toy magazines actually interact online. I definatly give you props in that department. I should give ToyFare another shot I guess, your letters column and some of the comedic touches are a breath of fresh air. You guys need to bring back Zac's column though. Oh, and before I forget. Here's your complimentary gift basket of duct tape and POTJ Jar Jar Binks action figure. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-30-2002, 03:51 PM
NO, please DO NOT bring back that dog ! :cry:

Exhaust Port, I wasn't referring to the article itself. All I meant was that the cover said "Toy you won't believe", I opened to the masthead and saw a pic of Mark Hammill, and THEN saw the smaller print describing the article that would be appearing later in the issue. If anything, my "complaint" is that I got hyped up over a cool custom, because I want one ! :D
Touche. ;)

Greetings, DasGoot. :)
Don't be fooled by JJB's flattery, he bags on your mag every chance he gets! :D

Beast
09-30-2002, 03:59 PM
Ok, I admit it. But I was trying to be civil. Damn you Caesar. :mad: :p Yes, I do have problems with the magazine, but I did occassionally find it funny. A few times it was much to crude for my tastes. For serious news, I'll stick to Tomarts. For less serious news and a decent price guide, AFN&TR. And when I want to laugh, ToyFare is there. I just don't take them seriously, including their Price Guide. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DasGoot
10-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Ya know, I get that about the price guide a lot. Very few people take price guides seriously at all. (And to be honest, I'm still cleaning up the mess it was in when I got here. I still haven't had a chance to wade into all the Star Wars lines and double check the listings. It takes enough time just to do the regular price changes.) Eh, it's not the first time I've had a job that gets no respect.

I don't know why we got a reputation for being off in the news area. We always go to the companies for verification of stories before we print. It's not like we print wild rumors. Often they change production plans after the fact, but it's not like we make things up.

Exhaust Port
10-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Wow, every changes their tune when someone from the magazine shows. :rolleyes:

Hey Jon, your signature shows Anime Invasion in addition to Toy Fair. Don't be offended but I've never heard of it. Is it a magazine/website/store? Would you happen to know what's happening with Sunward and their advertised Macross Valkyrie's (as advertised in Toyfair)? Just curious, thanks.

TheFrankEinstein
10-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Well I'll show my support for my beloved Toyfare, at least. I've never missed an issue, even through the years I didn't give half a crap about toys. And Dasgoot, I appreciate how difficult, monotonous and eyeball-numbing it must be to work on the price guide, so you have my respect. All you guys just keep up the great work.

And, on topic, I didn't find the article confusing at all. :)

2-1B
10-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Wow, every changes their tune when someone from the magazine shows. :rolleyes:

Yep, I took the opportunity to renew my criticism of that dog's column. :p

Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
And, on topic, I didn't find the article confusing at all.

Me neither, the index just got me excited. :D

DasGoot
10-02-2002, 01:06 PM
Anime Invasion is one our special magazines, like the Spider-man or Ultimate one shot mags that we put out every other month. This year we upped it to a quarterly release and next year it'll be out bi-monthly. It basically covers the Japanese market, mainly Anime and Manga, but also video games and swag. It's available at the same locations that sell ToyFare.

As for the Sunwards issue, nobody's heard from them for a while. (I post a lot on the Macrossworld.com site as well, and the admins, who are close with Yamato, haven't heard a thing either.)

Exhaust Port
10-02-2002, 01:32 PM
I might just have to check out your magazine.

With the stuff coming out of Bandai and Yamato and perhaps even Toynami the loss of Sunwards won't disappoint this collector. Of course with so much hitting the market at once it's hard to keep track of everything. Perhaps you can pressure the powers that be to cover this market in depth in either Toyfare or the Anime Invasion.

hurrikane
10-21-2002, 12:10 AM
I discontinued the subscription because it's 30.00 for Poop and fart jokes on every other page. The other pages have insults for fat and gassy people. The price guide is terribly Stupid. I could even make that magazine better.

This month's Twisted Toyfate theatre: Hulk and spiderman go to thano's party :) *sigh*

DasGoot
10-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Um, what issue did you see a Thanos TTT?

evenflow
10-22-2002, 03:34 PM
I actually like the Twisted Theatre, I think it is pretty funny. Nice to see you at this board too DasGoot.

Darth Cruel
11-19-2002, 07:18 PM
DasGoot - I am impressed that a real representative is discussing this stuff in the forums. Thank you very much.

Now for my opinion. Toyfare sucks big-time! (SSSHHHH, I buy Toyfare almost every month...but I don't want my fellow forumites to think I am a brown-noser). In truth, though, I was devistated by the loss of White's Guide. Not as much entertainment, but a more comprehensive list of variations.

Seriously...Toyfare really appears to me to be geared toward scalpers. That is a general staement that I will only back up as far as to say that a I read too many reiterations as to how much money a figure should bring. And the fact that I actually see scalpers at Frank-N-Sons collectible show referring to Toyfare to set their prices. I appreciate the price guide (and look forward to you improving it) but from what I have seen, the prices listed there are over twice what you will really get anywhere. And there are so many missing entries of card and figure variations and errors (there is not even a listing for the E1 Yoda with the the Episode 1 correction on the card) that I do not envy you your task.

I probably don't have to tell you what an outstanding resource SSG can be for getting a impressive (if not perfect) listing of variations (I am sure you won't want to go into errors). And how useful ebay can be to find out what people are REALLY paying for figures.

And here is hoping that you don't get gagged from coming in and at least disspelling some negativity about the mag.

Exhaust Port
11-20-2002, 10:27 PM
I would like to see the price guide dropped as a monthly feature and perhaps done bi-annually. I think the biggest problem with it is that it just can't keep up monthly with the new figures and demand for older figures. Because it tries to price new figures (even those that have only been out for a few weeks and are still being released) the price guide is extremely subjective to fads. Only after 6 months to a year do we really know what figure might be worth.

DasGoot
11-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Darth,

I'm certainly not gearing the guide towards scalpers. In fact, since I came on, I've switched it from mainly relying on store prices to going by ebay sales, which I think better reflects the market. I still consult stores to see what thier going prices are, but what they've got them priced at doesn't really tell me how many of them are selling at that price. In most cases, that means I've cycled down prices considerably.

As for the Star Wars listings, yeah, they're not complete. Unfortunately, double checking lines takes up so much time that I haven't had a chance to get all of them in working order. It took me two months to get the Transformers listings set with the help of a couple experts and I just finished three months of work getting the Joe listings taken care of. Star Wars is my next priority, but as you said, it's going to take time.

Exhaust port,

Yeah, the guide can be susceptible to fads, especially the mad rush to find toys when they first come out. When I came on, I talked it over with my superiors and I think we came out with a workable solution. If it's a rare toy that's still in stores but hard to find, like say, Trap Jaw, I'll put it in the guide at retail price for the first month. That gives it some time for the initial speculation to die down before I start dealing with secondary market prices. If it's a figure that's no longer being sold when I put it in the guide, like say, Jorge Sacul, I'll put a specific note saying, "When we went to press, this figure was selling for between $75 and $200 online. We will provide you more accurate info as prices stabilize." I've heard of scalpers pointing to price guides months after their out of date to justify high prices because of that intial price rush and I'd rather not give them any more ammunition than I have to.

Exhaust Port
11-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Sounds good DasGoot.

Darth Cruel
11-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Sounds good to me to!