PDA

View Full Version : question about BLACK HAWK DOWN

Darth Trymybestus
09-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Hey, I was wondering what song is played when they go and pick HOOT and his bike up in the desert.
it's some rock song but I can't find it anywhere.
Does anyone know the title and the artist?

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 03:40 PM
I know the song you're talking about. It's called "Barra Barra" and is performed by Rachid Taha.

derek
09-18-2002, 03:53 PM
hey Deadeye! what's going on?, err... i mean.... Beretta M92F!!!:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Pendo
09-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Don't jump to conclusions derek! I just asked DeadEye if it was him and he said "No". And I believe him. He said he tried to register again but couldn't because it wouldn't accept his e-mail address :rolleyes:.

I'm sure if DeadEye joined again it would be some stupid name that would start a war like I Hate Jar Jar, or something along them lines :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

derek
09-18-2002, 03:59 PM
look at his profile, pendo.:) "girls, guns, games, computers"??? sound familiar? and the name Beretta? he has talked endlessly about that gun.:)

and as for e-mail, his last account was a hotmail account. those are a dime a dozen and easy to get.:)

welcome back deadeye, jerk jerk, and pink trailer trash.:)

just call me instector gadget!:)

Pendo
09-18-2002, 04:03 PM
*COUGH*COULD HE MAKE IT ANY MORE OBVIOUS*COUGH*

It's NOT DeadEye, honest :rolleyes:!!!

I don't know if it is him, but if it is and he wants you to know he will tell you. If it isn't him then don't scare away another innocent person like we did with Jerk Jerk Stinks :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

derek
09-18-2002, 04:05 PM
maybe it's not deadeye, but "The Ghost of Deadeye"?:crazed:

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Who is Deadeye?

QLD
09-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Well, with the same AOL IM ID in the profile........who wouldn't notice.

DOH!!

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Does it matter who I am? I could be any number of forumites.
;):p

Darth Trymybestus
09-18-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Beretta M92F
I know the song you're talking about. It's called "Barra Barra" and is performed by Rachid Taha.

Hey thanks bud! This song rocks, it totally fits in with Delta I think, they're the boys!

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:14 PM
Delta certainly are awesome. My dad knew several operators, including most of the guys that were in Operation Restore Hope in real life.
It's cool how Deltas are chosen to be Deltas. The song certainly seems appropriate...and BTW SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson is the only character in the movie that wasn't a real guy IIRC.

Beast
09-18-2002, 04:14 PM
I like how he removed the "girls, guns, games, computers" from his profile as soon as someone mentioned it. Now that QLD mentioned his AIM name, that will probably vanish also. So glad I took that screenshot of his profile, as soon as I recognized him as DeadEye 2.0. Edit: Yes, it's gone now also. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Um...what's up with this? Why is everyone checking my profile and whatnot? :confused:

QLD
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Yep. it's gone now. :rolleyes:

QLD
09-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Because we like to read all about "new" members.

Beast
09-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Especially ones who have an Alien 3 quote in their sigs, and talk about Black Hawk Down. I think Darth Vader said it best: "I sense somthing, a presence I've not felt since....." ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
09-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Beretta M92F
Delta certainly are awesome. My dad knew several operators, including most of the guys that were in Operation Restore Hope in real life.
It's cool how Deltas are chosen to be Deltas. The song certainly seems appropriate...and BTW SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson is the only character in the movie that wasn't a real guy IIRC.

I watched Black Hawk Down last night with Ridley Scott commentary and he said that Hoot was a real guy but it's a different name.
He said that the real guy didn't want his name and details known because he's still in the unit... Ridley said he's in Afghanistan now "doing his work" :)
You played the Delta Force games? they rock!

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:33 PM
I don't really like them much.
However, I am looking forward to the Black Hawk Down game, which, while it is the latest entry in the Delta Force series, is far superior to the previous games.

Pendo
09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
I just spoke to DeadEye and he told me he created the new account because he wanted to start a clean sheet. He didn't mean for you all to find out it was him. He wanted to start again from scratch so he didn't have a bad rep behind him, and you could all maybe get to like him. He didn't mean to make it obvious who he was, and obviously it turned against him.

I don't want wars started in here again so if you don't want to talk to him put him on your ignore list, if you want to give him another chance then give him one, but PLEASE stop all this arsing around :mad:.

Thank you :)!

PENDO!

derek
09-18-2002, 04:37 PM
hey darth trymybestus,

are you watching the multi disc BHD DVD? are you overseas? the first release DVD dosen't have commentary, does it?

did ridley scott talk about "grimes" who was actually named "stebbins" who is in federal prison for molesting a 12 year old girl?

Pendo,

i'm all for 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances.:)
only time will tell...........:)

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:44 PM
The American DVD is 1 disc and does not have running commentary...unless you count Ridley's interview on the Making-Of documentary.

Darth Trymybestus
09-18-2002, 04:48 PM
I'm region 2, I've got the 2 disc set, it' got 3 commentaries on it:
1 - Ridley Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer
2 - Mark Bowden and the screenwriter Ken Nolan
3 - US Special Forces '93 Somalia veterans

nope, he didn't talk about stebbins and his crime, he mentioned that he was an RPG magnet and he had "beginners luck"

It's very cool.... I heard that there is a 3 disc set on the way though!!!! :o

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 04:51 PM
You're right about Grimey having beginner's luck! 3 RPG's landed right next to him and he wasn't hurt. :)

Beast
09-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Yeah, the 2-disc Region 2 set is pretty packed. The 3-disc Region 1 set is coming next year. It's going to have everything that the R2 set has, plus another full disc of extras. If you do a "Black Hawk Down" search in this forum, it will bring up the thread that has the info in it. Aww hell, lemme grab the link. 5th post down. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10130

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
09-18-2002, 05:10 PM
idiot.

haven't seen black hawk down. Saw the trailer and didn't think it looked any good. War movies don't really do anything for me since they just glorify violence.

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the link, JJB. The DVD looks awesome.

And what a welcome Jargo gave me! I just walk in here and he calls me an idiot. How pleasant of him. :D

Beast
09-18-2002, 05:25 PM
Agreed Jargo. War movies always tend to overly glorify the violence. The people that get ideas that war is cool from these type of movies will likely be the same people that would soil themselves, if they were ever involved in a real war.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 05:35 PM
Jar Jar,

While you are making a very good point, what modern war movies glorify the violence? Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and We Were Soldiers (the best modern movies on WWII, Modern combat, and Vietnam, respectively) try their hardest to make war look like hell.

Jargo
09-18-2002, 05:37 PM
I find old world war two movies interesting in the propaganda way. It's a little history lesson in itself how they agrandise certain individuals and attempt to make out that war is justifiable by doing away with the horror and the gore.

Movies like the deer hunter work better for me in dealing with what happens after a war and how it affects those who were involved. M.A.S.H. and Catch 22 work better for me in showing how insane the whole thing is.

I think sometimes all movies do is generate a cartoon image of real life, make it all look like a computer game with the CGI effects and soft focus slow motion effects. I wonder how people would react if the movies portrayed injuries the way they really look. Like seeing a head blown wide open by a stray bullet or the results of a heavy mortar attack on a civillian town. Movies like Black Hawk down and the likes are just a way of justifying any war that might happen by showing soldiers as heroes. I don't believe soldiers see themselves that way. It's a job of work that someone has to do but it's not a glorious profession at all. It's hard graft and a lot of crap for little gain in any way whatsoever.
Soldiers do admirable work and it's a crying shame that they are still a necessity in this enlightened age. I'm sure if asked, most soldiers would rather not have to go into any kind of skirmish or battle situation, they certainly wouldn't relish the thought.
Turning something like war into video games is somewhat sickening as a concept. In the 'hey, it's okay - the dead just reload when you get to level six' way. If only life were so convenient.

Darth Trymybestus
09-18-2002, 05:50 PM
I think Ridley Scott said it best.. he said that Black Hawk Down is "anti war but pro military"

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Jargo--

You too are bringing up some good points. However, there is nothing wrong with portraying soldiers as heroes because that kind of stuff actually does happen. If you've heard of Audie Murphy in WWII then you know what I'm talking about. :D
But you'd really be surprised--there are plenty of soldiers that are actually anxious to see combat but frustrated because they won't get to.

And Trymybestus, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being pro-military. Military life has its ups and downs (I'll elaborate if you want) but the military does plenty of great things. Everything it does makes sense if you think realistically, and it defends the country, and can straighten out any ruffian and make him fly right. :D

Darth Trymybestus
09-18-2002, 06:59 PM
oh, I'm definitely pro military, those guys do a great job, the best name for the Delta boys would be "quiet professionals".

Jargo
09-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Beretta M92F/DeadEye When you've joined the real world we'll discuss the pros and cons of soldiers portrayed as heroes. until such time as you are capable of seeing without your rose colored spectacles please remain in your lovely indoctrinated cotton wool world of fantasy. It's amusing to observe.

Beretta M92F
09-18-2002, 09:25 PM
"Idiot." :stupid:

What's even more amusing is the fact that you think your opinions are any more valid than mine. :rolleyes:

BlahBlahBlah
09-18-2002, 09:48 PM
Sometimes I look at these little debates and think Deadeye brings it on himself. And most of the time, he does. But that was uncalled for, Jargo. He brought up his points, he didn't attack you, but you still felt it was neccesary to attack him.

Knock it off.

LTBasker
09-19-2002, 01:13 AM
Ya know DeadEye, you were banned three times with an upcoming fourth, and yet you will not stay away. You had your chances, but you chose to be lil internet tough guy. You do know your IP is logged, correct? And you know that your IP can be traced, correct? So of course you would know that addresses would show up in IP traces, in which your parents could easily be notified of all the stuff you've been doing. So much being lil internet tough guy, eh?

Darth Trymybestus
09-19-2002, 11:08 AM
I know I'm waaaaaaaaaayyyyy of topic but is this the same Deadeye that was "eagerly anticipating Anakin Skywalker Tatooine Attack"?
Do you have this figure yet? I got a few of this figure in late July.. I'm actually shocked when I hear that people couldn't get Count Dooku and now can't get Anakin Skywalker Tatooine Attack.
I got Anakin Hangar Duel and Yoda and a few others on April 23rd, then the day I saw Attack of the Clones at the movies on May 19th, I got Count Dooku, I've had no problems getting the figures.... and I live in England!!!!

JON9000
09-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Was the Stone Temple Pilots song used in BHD actually released after the events in the film? This all went down in 1993, correct? I'm really curious, if anyone knows the answer. A friend and I were arguing about it during the film.

Pendo
09-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
A friend and I were arguing about it during the film.

DURING the film??? Please tell me you weren't at the cinema, I hate it when people are argueing and you're trying to watch the movie :rolleyes:.

I was at the Showcase one time and there was this fella having an argument with the manager, but it was through the most crucial part of the film. It was so annoying :mad:. Oh well, I did get to see the fella throw his drink over the manager :D.

PENDO!

JON9000
09-19-2002, 12:41 PM
No, Pendo, I try to be a little more refined than that. I cannot stand it when people talk in the theater. This question came up while watching at home. :)

Jargo
09-19-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BlahBlahBlah
Sometimes I look at these little debates and think Deadeye brings it on himself. And most of the time, he does. But that was uncalled for, Jargo. He brought up his points, he didn't attack you, but you still felt it was neccesary to attack him.

Knock it off.

Sorry to drag this back up again but wanted to respond, What actually happened was that i was posting late last night, round about four am here and lost my connection before I could actually edit away that post, which even I consider ill thought out. But seeing as Mr. bound to re-register has been banned again I'll drop this and move on to more interesting matters.

People getting up and leaving halfway through a movie annoy the crap out of me. How can you decide you don't like a movie if you don't see it all? If you have a pressing engagement you don't want to be late for then why go to the movies and ruin the denoument for everyone by rustling jackets and banging seats and doors when you leave?
The other thing that annoys me is when the people behind you put their feet up on the seatback of your seat and push and wriggle and you just get this bouncing knock on the back of your head.
And people who get halfway through a movie and decide that because there's no-one sitting in the better seats they'll move there instead of sitting in the side seats and in so doing make a hell of a ruckuss as they travel like six feet across the aisle.
I don't think people should sit silent and motionless in total reverence to the movie but there is such a thing as courtesy and common good manners.

Then again, I remember when they used to have the interval between features and the ice cream girl used to wander in with that tray of stuff round her neck. I remember when smoking was still allowed in cinemas and you'd watch a movie through a thick haze of smoke that made the beam of the projection seem solid like a massive icicle or something that glittered as the particles of skoke wafted through the light. Actually that was part of the magic of the movies for me as a kid seeing that beam all smokey and wotnot. The little ashtrays in the back of the seat in front, the really crackly intermission announcements. Going to see a movie these days is like a really sanitised experience, probably why I don't go that often anymore.

Patient Zero
09-19-2002, 03:57 PM
The only movie I ever saw anyone get up and leave in the middle of was American Beauty and it was a bunch of older individuals. I thought that it was pretty funny, actually.

Beretta M92F Banned! Till next user ID...

bigbarada
09-20-2002, 10:23 PM
I totally disagree with you, Jargo on the affect that war movies have on the public. I am glad that this film was made as violent as it was and made to show all the crap that these guys went through. You obviously have never seen it if you think it glorifies and candy-coats the conflict. So keep your opinions to yourself until you know what you are talking about, okay?

Movies have a secondary purpose aside from entertainment. They also inform. Tell me who here would be actively discussing the attack in Somalia and the pointless waste of American soldiers lives by an incompetent President? We would have gone on with our lives and been fussing over the latest gimmick on Hasbro's toys and totally forgetting about the men who are putting their lives on the line so that we can have the right to forget about them and trivialize their sacrifice with idiotic talk of an "enlightened age" and other flower-power, hippie nonsense.

Jargo
09-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Yeah that's right, I'm a hippy. hiting ignore button right - about - now...

BlahBlahBlah
09-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Ignore everyone who disagrees with you...

Jargo
09-23-2002, 09:54 AM
Butt out blahblahblah you know nothing about the history of my online relationship with BigBarada. So just do youself a favour and keep it zipped.