PDA

View Full Version : Darn you!! Remember POTJ

rherk
09-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Man oh man! What are you guys doing?!?! Are you purposely trying to ruin a good thing. I understand as a company you're intent is to improve on a product thus leading to some experimenting with a product but sheesh! This saga $#!@ is aweful! I swear, you guys had it so right with the last few POTJ assortments. Examples: FX-7, Amanaman, Bo Shek, Teebo, Han Bespin escape. Holy crap! Those were great! So, what are you doing? I see more and more long time fans losing interest each day and I certainly don't think you're gaining any new ones. Honestly, do you guys need help. This is an incredibly easy license to market. Please feel free. Contact me. I'll help you. I'll even give you a free bee right now. Make ACTION FIGURES!!!!

Stupid Hasbro. My hobbies going down the tubes
Thanks
Randy

Jayspawn
09-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Thats quite a rant there rherk. I must admit he has a bit of a point there. Those were great figures, and Hasbro needs to make more of those and no more of Han (Endor Raid) and Mace (Geo Rescue).

Since we're ranting, I really want Captain Needa and Admiral Ozzel Hasbro!

Lord Tenebrous
09-18-2002, 04:29 PM
My big complaint, now with the 2003 figures, is that there's less of a photo-realistic feel and more of a smooth cartoonish/distorted look.

But hey, whatever they want to do is fine. Having more variety in the sculpt allows me to spend more money on other things.

LTBasker
09-18-2002, 07:12 PM
It's not worth wasting your breath to complain anymore. They don't care, they'll do whatever will fit their wallets as they obviously don't find it logical to listen to their customers.

Fact is though we're human, we may be buying them now, but we'll only take so much. We'll only be pushed so far by the Hasbro Empire. They say they listen to us but they rationalize what we say by exaggerating or just flat-out shooting it down. If you listened you would most likely have alot less peg-warmers out there. When you go from stuff like Ephant Mon who fills up the entire bubble of the new bubble, and then you release stuff like Watto in the same time frame of the year, and you couldn't even pack-in an extra set of wings or a Pit Droid???

You let two different Pit Droid sculpts plus toolbox-type sculpts with different paintjobs be packed-in with figures overseas while we got little chips that only worked as stands during Episode 1 and you can't pack-in a simple Pit Droid with Watto???

My tolerance and along with others' spans with your lack of appreciation toward the Collector community are running short. I know we're not perfect and there are Rabid Warsies out there, but fact is there are true collectors and they're easier to find than you may think. You're already losing customers, you're losing the main group you were targeting the Saga figures to - the kids. Due to lack of interest due to you not listening to what people want and even if you did try you allow for factorys to do shoddy jobs on them.

What is the deal?! If you look at Galoob's micro-machines, a division of YOURS from even 10 years ago, the paint jobs are PERFECT! Detail is right-on, and these were 1"-3" things we're talking about, and they're almost vintage!

JediTricks
09-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Hasbro bought Galoob in late 1998 after every classic Micro Machine and Action Fleet released was designed, built, painted, and shipped -- Hasbro deserves absolutely no credit for the fantastic 1993-2000 Star Wars Micro Machines line (except the credit for killing the line). In fact, after Galoob was bought by Hasbro in '98 and became Hasbro's west coast operation, they designed half of the POTJ line. When Hasbro closed the Galoob division, the figures started getting worse again - was this a coincidence? I bet not, perhaps the designers in Rhode Island have a lot more frustrating management decisions to put up with and that's the cause of our woes, but the fact of the matter is that something seems very wrong with Star Wars figures these days.

I voice my displeasure to Hasbro about the Saga line with my wallet, they put out any product I don't like and I won't buy it. I used to be a completist, now I have only slightly more than half the line and NO duplicates anymore. For every SW collector that posts on these forums with these and similar complaints, there are probably 300 that have the same complaints but don't speak out.

droidekas2
09-18-2002, 10:05 PM
You are all so right!! Star Wars used to be the main line that I collected, buying most of the figures released along with the other action figure lines that I liked.
Now I collect McFarlane lines, Simpsons, and others, picking up the few Star Wars figures here and there. There is less and less in the SW line that I want to purchase.

Its sad. As you said the Power of the Jedi line was getting to be awesome and then it ended. I was initially very excited about the Saga line, but that was partially due to the new movie. I have grown very disenchanted with what is being made now.

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 01:19 AM
My brother has quit collecting and moved on and he was more hardcore than I ever was. The Saga line proved to me that not only does Hasbro not care, but they don't even listen to their customers. If you look at all the wishlists posted by fans in the years following Ep1 never did we ask for obtrusive action gimmicks that detract from the sculpt or resculpt after resculpt of the same figures over and over again (how many Jango Fetts and Anakins have we gotten in the last four months?).

This line is dying and Hasbro is actively trying to kill it, that's the only explaination. I don't expect this line to last beyond 2003.

I've passed on more than 60% of the Saga line, most of it is too horrible looking to be worth my money. And it looks like 2003 will be more of the same with those absolutely horrible Padme, Mace and Obi-Wan figures coming out.:mad:

At this point I would prefer to see the entire line cancelled, than for Hasbro to continue to degrade the Star Wars liscense.

jedihunter25
09-19-2002, 02:10 AM
I used to get excited when I hear and see future figures that are coming out. Now I say to myself- which remakes, silly poses, and stupid facial expressions (like Diarrea Mace and Constapated Anakin) are they going to do now. I've been a serious collector ( I have almost EVERYTHING except for EU and the last 20 Mauls) since '95 and because of Hasbeendonebeforehasbro I'm quickly losing interest. This crappy Saga Peg Warmer Line you've been putting out is so bad that alot of stores can't even sell them unless they are put into a $1 bin. I can't even remember the last fig I bought at the store because there are so many pegwarmers- there are no room for new figs. I know that a few times in the past that this was a problem, but this is the worst it's been. You need to listen to us -or maybe you should let someone like McFairlane or something to take over the SW line to do the job right that you can't do anymore. HASBRO SW RIP

Beast
09-19-2002, 02:21 AM
The figures are pegwarming, because the stores again got greedy and over-ordered. You can't place everything in Hasbro's lap for the latest pegwarmers. They are in it to make money. I know it sucks to have to admit, but action figures with action features sell better then regular figures. Every line is adopting action features almost. :)

LOTR's and He-Man two of the big toy lines right now, all have action features. Hasbro was trying to compete. The problem is, that collector's are so hard to please. Remeber all the complaints about the POTF2 line when it premired from die-hard vintage collectors. :)

We resist change, even if it helps the line sell better in the long run. Sure some of the action features are crap, the first Padme and Anakin being the major disapointments. It was a test, and better they add action features to figures they do alot of like main charecters, then secondary charecters that might not get a chance at a re-sculpt later on. McFarlane's figures have a high breakage problem, plus you can kiss the 4" scale and vehicles goodbye if they get their mitts on them. :)

The plans for January and Febuary from Hasbro may help things. More background and intresting charecters. Hopefully that continues in 2003, now that they don't have to try to cater to kids and can take more time with the sculpts. Remeber the E1 line was lacking for a while til 2000, and then it became excellent. The problem is when you have figures that need to be out in time for a movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
09-19-2002, 02:35 AM
I'm with JT on this, I too used to be a completist. The SAGA line broke me of that REAL QUICK!

Stupid gimmicks, buttons sticking out of their backs, wheels...there's a reason the EP1 Deluxe line FAILED miserably. Many of the SAGA figures are right on par with that garbage if you ask me.:frus:

I just don't get excited with the new stuff coming out. Instead I spend too much time wondering if Hasbro did something to ruin yet another chance at a great figure.

This is the only 3.75 inch line I will NOT have a complete set of.:rolleyes:

It's almost as if Hasbro is looking for a reason to drop the line between EP2 and EP3. They are spending alot of time pushing THEIR new lines. By that I mean, stuff that Hasbro OWNS the rights to. Just look at the new G.I. Joe line...Masters of the Universe...and now they are running a Commemorative series of Transformers (not sure what the license status is on that one...too cheap to fight for the Hot Rod name though).

In any case it seems that Hasbro is busy hitting it hard on new money makers. In the mean time they seem to be destroying the Star Wars line.:confused:

Beast
09-19-2002, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't say the E1 Deluxe Line failed, they only did three figures. And there were no reports of more in the planning stages. They would have done a few more, if they actually had them in production. :)

BTW, Hasbro doesn't own Masters of the Universe, SK99. That's Mattel. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
09-19-2002, 02:53 AM
Oops, thanx for the correction on MOTU.

As for the EP1 Deluxe line. Those things hung around on clearance for over a year, from what I saw and remember. They couldn't get rid of 'em for $1.97!!! Even the regular EP1/FF peg warmers moved faster. I think my local PX (Post Exchange) sold out all their Malakili's long before their EP1 Deluxe stuff.:rolleyes:

In any event, they weren't too popular.

Beast
09-19-2002, 03:02 AM
Yeah, but the problem was they actually didn't do more of the Deluxe line. So there was never any cases coming in, except for the ones with Maul's, Obi's, and Qui's. If Hasbro would have made a couple more deluxe figures, I doubt we would have seen so many of those 3 Deluxe laying around. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-19-2002, 03:49 AM
I am one of those disinterested fans that rherk referred to. :)

Hasbro, I used to STALK your website in 97/98 for the upcoming waves list, and there was no question that I was going to hunt down each and every one of those figures, plus doubles here and there.

Compare that to last night, when I saw your new wave of resculpts. :dead:
I feel the same way as Jedihunter25, I used to get excited, what figures will you release next? Now I am quite uninterested.
Why do I keep looking though? Why do I keep coming back to see what you are releasing? Well, it's because
I WANT TO COLLECT STAR WARS FIGURES ! ! !
I haven't lost interest in collecting Star Wars figures, I've lost interest in collecting most of YOUR Star Wars figures.

Hmm . . . now . . . where's Andy Epenshade to tell me I'm wrong about this? :rolleyes:

rherk
09-19-2002, 05:52 AM
Ceaser, you got it right. That's why I said it isn't hard to market the Star Wars license. The Star Wars fans still love Star Wars it's your action figures we are dissappointed in.

Nexu
09-19-2002, 06:37 AM
Nate, what's wrong with the new Padme?

bigbarada
09-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Nexu
Nate, what's wrong with the new Padme?

First off, it's that terrible primal scream face. Then the pose which I bet she will hold for....ohh.... all of thirty-seconds before the droopy plastic makes her look like she suffered a compound fracture. Sure she looks articulated enough to be able to stand normally, but with that face she will look idiotic.

A head swap with the hideous Arena Padme is out of the question, I still have yet to see what everybody thinks is so great about her "squished in a vise" head sculpt.

If this new Padme is supposed to be scene specific, which movie were the Hasbro designers watching? Never did she scream like that at any time in the movie.:stupid:

LTBasker
09-19-2002, 12:16 PM
The same movie when Mace imitated Yoda while having a hernia.

underdog25
10-06-2002, 02:51 PM
I agree with you all. I use to have all the figures when they came out. I use to be at Walmart when they opened at 6am or at the local scalpers store and paying 4 times retail for the hooded darth maul or slave leia. Now I can remember the last figure I bought, Bespin Luke and only have bought 12 figures from the new line with 9 of those being on May 3rd when they were released. I don't know what Hasbro is thinking/doing with the line. I think that alot of the problem is that they are doing the same figures over and over and over and over and over again. They don't do the new ones because not everyone knows who the green guy with the red jacket, white horns and yellow eyes was in the Canina that was on screen for .000000012 seconds is! It is ALL about the buisness to them, not the fans. Sure, they are going to sell 1000's of the guy but when there are 1,000,000 made they are going to set on the shelf. What needs to happen is for a small company to take over and limit the production. It would help demand and help us. What do you think.

JEDIpartner
10-14-2002, 10:43 AM
I agree, for the most part with all of you. I think that things started "going wrong" with Bespin Escape Leia and Lando. Those gave us our first taste of specific pose figures. The whole game went south when Eeth Loth was introduced. I remember a few of us grumbling about this and having the whole defensive line jump on top of us, so-to-speak, telling us to "shut-up" and "stop whining". The lot of us who had been with the STAR WARS line since its introduction to the market in 1978 saw this as a bad change looming before us. We saw more action posed figures and more "rage" faces on the horizon.

Still, I have to admit, there have been a good number of triumphs in this line. The paint detailing has gotten a little more accurate and textured, when it's not been sloppy, and the pack-ins have been a complete treasure trove for scene builders and those of us who still like to "play".

If only Hasblah could balance this out for us. Give us more POTJ type figures with the Saga pack-ins... ahhhh- that would be a dream come true!

Dave_Cameron
10-18-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm with you on the non-screaming, non-action posed figures.

Jon
10-19-2002, 03:12 PM
I have quit collecitng, I have darn near 350 figures but as soon as the E2 figures came out and then the sorry excuse for a line called "Saga" came around I just threw in the towel. I bought 5 E2 figures and I will buy 5 E3 figures and I will try to round out my POTJ & E1 figures via ebay or trades or something but I will not support this crap anymore. You will be hard pressed to find better Star Wars fans than me and the rest of us in here, but I have had it.

sideswipe1984
11-07-2002, 03:13 PM
As I read people's thoughts on the matter, I find that the words have been taken right out of my mouth. I have been a lifetime collector (born in '75). Like most of you, I re-joined the hobby in 1995 and, at times, have dropped absurd amounts of money on this, rather nebulous, hobby. POTJ really was the crown jewel for Hasbro in terms of final product. I definitely had the most fun in modern times with the POTF2 line, but from an objective standpoint POTJ was a far superior line. As Episode II approached, I was jazzed up beyond belief for the new figures/toys that would soon be gracing the toy shelves. There is always a certain magic involved with the opening of a SW movie, and nowhere is this more evident than in the toy aisles. Midnight Madness came, and I dropped $250 + on new toys. Well into the Luke Bespin wave, I was ordering cases so that I could aquire all of the new product for both my loose and carded collection. Then it happened. The mania of the moment wore off, and I started to evaluate these Saga figures based on their own merit. I found them severely lacking. While the action poses were irritating, nothing was a bigger turnoff than the action features. Between the tumor-like bttons, and grotesque wheels jutting out of the figures' backs, I quickly became disenfranchised with the Saga line. I really don't care what rationale you choose to justify the action features with (I STILL refuse to buy into the "kiddies like 'em" mindset that seems to be the call-to-arms for Hasbro apologists), the action features are ugly, and ruin potentially nice sculpts.

I haven't purchased a Saga figure since June, and in all my travels to the toy aisles, rarely do I even stop to browse through the SW stuff. That is a sad statement, because I have not lost my interest in the hobby, but I refuse to pledge my support for a line that has gone as horribly wrong as the SAGA line. I sincerely hope Hasbro rights the ship, but like many of you, I have yet to see any action on their part that demonstrates serious concern for the collector community. I take part in a couple of other fandoms as hobbies, and have seen a great quid pro quo between the toy manufacturers and fans of those respective hobbys. Hasbro is, far and away, the worst company in this regard.

rherk
11-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Wow! Sideswipe, Out of all the wonderful replies on this thread I started, yours by far shows best that you truly understand my anger and pain. Thanks for the reply.

sideswipe1984
11-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by rherk
Wow! Sideswipe, Out of all the wonderful replies on this thread I started, yours by far shows best that you truly understand my anger and pain. Thanks for the reply.

It's nice to know that I am not alone in my opinion. It's sad really. I rarely visit collecting sites anymore, and I post on SW message boards even less often. I miss being part of the communities and the hobby - but I refuse to shell out the cash on subpar product in an attempt to hold onto past glory. :cry:

OzOtter
11-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Wow. These are all great stories about a common pain.

It is hard. When you have been collecting so long, especially for the completists, to try to stop. You know you don't get the same pleasure out of it that you used to. But you have invested too much time and energy, and most importantly money, to just drop it now.

But Hasbro is a business. A business which is ultimately about selling toys to make money. And when they tested all those prototype Saga action figures on real kids, I bet it was those with action features that the little tykes grabbed first. And played with longest. Bless 'em. So that's what we got, mostly.

But there were some little pearls in there: Djas Puhr, troop building Endor Rebel Soldiers, George Lucas as an X-wing pilot, silver Anniversary R2, Ephant Mon (I don't have him yet but the pictures look cool).

I was a completist. But, just like you, I don't like most of these new toys. But then again, I don't really like the new movies either. So I'll remain a completist. Only, I'll just get the figures from the original trilogy. Oh, and how cool... so few of them have action features. Thanks Hasbro.

Hasbro does cater to the collectors. You just need to know where to look for it. But they cater to kids as well. We have to respect that.

rherk
11-08-2002, 08:37 AM
You are right. It is important to cater to kids. However, if someone doesn't like the product the toy is representing, they aren't going to buy it. Like you said, you don't like the new trilogy so you don't buy any of the figures. It's the same way to kids. When I was a kid I loved Star Wars so I loved Star Wars toys. They had no action features. A kid isn't going to buy an Anakin toy because you push a button on his back and his leg moves 3 millimeters. They're gonna buy it cause they think Star Wars rocks! Unless you are dealing with a gimmick specific toyline (example: Transformers). This case you are dealing with something specifically marketed around this feature. Those marketing tests on kids where most likely done with kids who never saw the movie. Therefore, have nothing to base these characters on.

OzOtter
11-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Fair point.

The Overlord Returns
11-08-2002, 10:46 AM
check it out....sw was the top selling toy line for the year..........

must be doing something right.

JediTricks
11-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Actually Overlord, I think the "top selling" moniker is based on store ordering, not actual customer buying - both TRU and Wal*mart sent back TONS of older Saga figures after that "top selling" statement was made. Either way though, it was an extremely weak year for the toy industry IIRC.