PDA

View Full Version : The Price is Right is the best gameshow ever!

JediTricks
10-26-2001, 01:20 PM
Ok, now this show is cheesy, hasn't changed much in 20 years, and gets people to act like complete fools sometimes, but is this show great or what? There are a ton of different games varying from ridiculously simple to complicated to just plain fun (Plinko obviously being the best), and even the item bidding to get on stage to play a game wins someone a prize EVERY TIME! There's the famous catch-phrases like "____ ____, come on down!!!" and "please remember to spay and neuter your pets". There's Rod Roddy's hideously-fascinating outfits, the somehow never quite dressed models, and Bob Barker's thin little microphone. Then there's the showcase showdown, where a giant wheel can make grown men squeel with glee as that magical one dollar comes rolling around; the only part of the show that doesn't quite deliver IMO is the actual final showcase game between the two winners of the two showcase showdowns, somehow the showcases are never quite grand enough and the bidders NEVER bid within the $250 difference to get both showcases. Sure, this show is low-brow and basically just a string of ads for various products, but I bet when you're sick at home and you flip CBS on, nothing's quite as fun as watching some grandmother ravage poor lanky, gaunt Bob Barker with hugs and kisses as she wins a bottle of ketchup, a new stereo, and a pair of jet-skis... and heads on over to the big wheel. Sure, Jeopardy tests brains, Who Wants to be a Millionaire has high-tech lights and music, and the New Hollywood Squares has replaced the late Paul Lynde with the not-so-late Bruce Valanche, but I bet TPIR is the game show that's still gets you to cheer whenever Rod Roddy exclaims "it's a brand new car!"

Am I wrong or am I right? ;)

El Chuxter
10-26-2001, 01:54 PM
You know the game where they have to guess prices and the cardboard boy climbs the mountain as it plays yodeling music, and if someone overbids, the boy falls off the cliff at the end? (I have no idea what it's called, and that's about the best I can describe it.)

As a very young boy, I was convinced--for whatever reason--that there was a giant bowl of chicken soup that the boy fell into. I watched the show religiously up until I started school, hoping to see the bowl of chicken soup.

I know, I'm weird. :D

good shot jansen
10-26-2001, 02:33 PM
pick me monty! pick me!

do you keep the money, or would you like to trade it in for what's behind curtain #2 which the lovely carol merril is standing next too..................

you have chosen to give up the money and take what is behind curtain #2, ....... you have won...............a dozen lacating anteaters!

i loved that show!

El Chuxter
10-26-2001, 02:55 PM
Um, I guess I should clarify that the game I referred to was one of the games in The Price Is Right. D'oh!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2001, 08:11 PM
I don't know. Press Your Luck was good. Think about it: "Big money! Big money! No Whammies! ...annnnnnd, STOP!" Then the Whammie does something "cute" and "funny" and takes away all your cash. But from a quality standpoint, you can't beat Jeopardy! Hey, Weird Al did a song about it! But what was it called... ? I've lost it. :p

bigbarada
10-26-2001, 08:11 PM
The Price is Right was my favorite show as a kid!! I even remember watching it when Bob Barker had brown hair!:eek:

Didn't some lady tackle him and break his leg on one episode? I definitely remember seeing him on crutches for several shows.

That yodeller game is really cool, EC but I also liked Plinko!!

I think Hole in One is the worst though. You just know the contestant has lost the prize right off the bat.

BTW, every 2nd and 5th contestant is offered a new car. Like clockwork. They usually try to psyche them out by offering some lame prize like an easel, after they get a shot of the disappointed look on their face then they offer them the car. Cool stuff.

Fulit
10-26-2001, 08:21 PM
I have always hated gameshows, but my 2 year old son loves the Price Is Right, and since he's started watching it, I find myself watching it even when he's not home. It's addictive, and some of the freaks they get to "come on down" are more entertaining than the actual games. Plus you gotta love Bob Barker for his role in Happy Gilmore. :)

master jedi
10-26-2001, 09:02 PM
I don't care much for game shows either ever since Who wants to be a millionaire came with all of those other rip-off of it.

GNT
10-26-2001, 09:41 PM
We had our own version here in Australia, although due to poor ratings it got cancelled :( I enjoyed it mostly :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-27-2001, 01:01 AM
Cool, I get to talk about Star Wars and gameshows on these forums! You can't get any better than that. I often said one of the best days in my life was that one day in Nov. 1999 when my family got Satellite TV--and of course the Game Show Network (Oh how I wasted my life.)

TPIR with Bob Barker is hands down probably the most loved gameshow in America ever. Consider that it has been on the air since 1972, almost 30 years! And with the same host! (God Bless Bob Barker). Of course the show is an hour long and there are a lot of pricing games to play. My favorites are the Spelling Bee, Punch-a-bunch (formerly Punch Out!) and Master Key.

Also consider that in the mid 1970s, ABC, CBS, and NBC had something like 25 gameshows on it's morning and afternoon schedule. Today it is down to 1--TPIR on CBS. Pointless soap operas, talk shows and court TV have taken over the daytime. Many of them have failed. I think it's been over a decade since one of the networks tried a gameshow on in the morning.

But here are my personal fav game shows and an explanation of them in case your memory is hazy:

5) Press Your Luck with Peter Tomarken -- A very exciting show that aired in the mid 80's where contestants had to avoid the whammy to snag cash and prizes. Like Bel-Cam Jos said everytime a contestant landed on a whammy, a little cute animated whammy came on (sometimes singing Michael Jackson, Boy George) to take your money. This was a game where how smart you were meant very little. I remember watching this show before I went to kindergarten. I'm suprised this show had only one run--a lot of people my age thought the show was the bomb.
Can be seen on GSN at 1:30 and 9:30 ( : (Incidentally Bill Murrary is supposed to star in a movie about a contestant named Michael Larson, who won over $120,000 in one show in 1984. That was about 10 times the normal winnings per show. The guy memorized the 4 patterns the flashing lights took and landed on Big Bucks all the time. It was also the only show in the games 4 year history that ran over 2 shows.)

4) The 25,000 Pyramid with Dick Clark -- aired in the late 70s as the 10,000 Pyramid, changed to 25,000 in early 80's and ran late into the decade. Two celebrites teamed up with two contestants to win $$$. A player had to get their partner to say a word by giving clues. Everytime the partner got a word right they'd get a point. Whatever team finished with the most points went to the winner's circle to try for 10,000 (and if the same team won the 2nd game, 25,000). Dick was somewhat of a dry host, but the game was challenging to watch. Also Donny Osmond is supposed to be hosting a reincarnation (titled the 1,000,000 pyramid) but that is on hiatus.

3) TPIR - see above

2) Card Sharks with Jim Perry. Aired 1978 - 1981. The first of 4 different versions of the game (there is a new one out in syndication that is almost totally different than the original). Two players were asked a survey question that stated, "We asked 100 people, or 100 statetroopers, or 100 housewives in Phoenix AZ. . . " An example of a typical question was "have you smoked marijuana? Or (asking a 100 woman) "be honest are woman worse drivers than men." The contestant would then give a number (say 37). The other player would than say if he thinks the number was higher or lower. If the number was higher/lower than that person played his cards if not, then the original player did.

Each player had a deck of 52 cards and the object was to get from the 1st card to the 5th card by saying if the next card was higher or lower (say they had a queen, most would guess the next card would be lower).

Whoever won two games went on to the Money Cards where a player would be given 200 bucks to bet on three cards on 1 level, another 200 to bet one 3 more cards on the middle level. And at the top was the Big Bet where a player had to wager at least 1/2 their money. A person could win up to $28,800 (a lot of money at that time, that was like 5 automobiles) if they bet it all on all 7 cards. Only one person did that during the run (including the later version with Bob Eubanks), Norma Brown.

1) Match Game with Gene Rayburn. This show had it all. Catchy 70's theme music, B-list celebrities, spontaneous humor, a wacky host, and Charles Nelson Reilly. Their were two contestants whose job was to match the 6 'celebrity' contestants as many times as they could. Gene would read a statement with a fill-in-the-blank answer (For instance Dolly Parton's chestal area is so big, that she wears T-shirts with the entire (blank) on it.) The stars would write their answers on cards (like the U.S. Constitution, the Old Testament).

Once everybody was done writing their answers, Gene would ask the contestant to give theirs. If they matched the celebrity they got a point. Whoever had the most points at the end of the show went on to the Super Match where they had to match a celebrity head-to-head, by simply filling in a common phrase or name(blank) Christmas or Mary (blank) If a celebrity matched the contestant, the contestant would win loads of money. The reason I liked this show so much, cuz it is classic 70's. Watch one episode and you will get a feel on how cheesy the era in TV was. This show was revived a couple of times, but none could catch the original flair for the show, and those revivals never lasted more than one season.

Forgive my little rant. It's one o'clock in the morning, I guess that means Monty Hall is on GSN as I speak. I better tune in and make sure I watch Press Your Luck right after that. :D

hamsterboy
10-27-2001, 02:13 AM
Price is Right is pretty good. It sucks they don't have many game shows on during the daytime. Wasn't there one point in time they had Wheel of Fortune on three times a day? I thought it was like in the morning,then before primetime,then again before they showed the local news. Or am I wrong?

JediTricks
10-27-2001, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
the only part of the show that doesn't quite deliver IMO is the actual final showcase game between the two winners of the two showcase showdowns, somehow the showcases are never quite grand enough and the bidders NEVER bid within the $250 difference to get both showcases.Not 40 minutes after I typed this, the final showcase battle began. An old guy who had been QUITE confused throughout the show had not won anything but got to the final showcase, he didn't get an option at the first showcase, and a younger guy had won... um, a car I think during his main game so he got the choice of showcases. The younger guy's showcase had a killer pair of mini-powerboats as the main prize and he decided to bid after MUCH deliberation... he listened to the audience and began his bid at $60,000, but never finished his price because OBVIOUSLY it was too high. He milked this bid for nearly 3 minutes, finally settling down at $22,900. The old guy's showcase had a set of towels, a trip to Death Valley, and a sweet hot tub, he wasn't sure if he was supposed to bid on one or all of it, he finally bid $32,000, IIRC. After the commercial, Bob read the actual retail price on the old guy's showcase first, he was merely $700 beneath the actual price... then Bob read the younger guy's showcase price... he was $107 beneath the actual price and won both showcases, his final day's take was over 60 grand between the car, the first item, and the 2 showcases! He didn't even know he won the old guy's showcase as well, when he found out, he exploded with even MORE joy, and I felt like a total tool for posting the quoted comment above. ;)

Chux, I know the game you're talking about, I think it's creatively called "Mountain Climber" and I don't know why, but it and the "Pushover" game are quite entertaining to me, I guess simply because stuff falls down. :D I bet the chicken soup thing had something to do with you being sick and watching the show, but it sure is an out-there one. :cool:

GSJ, I always think of "Let's Make a Deal" as the show with the goat, because there was often a goat behind curtain #3. I guess if you look at Chux's "chicken soup" thing, my comments make a little more sense since they're in the same vein.

Bel-Cam, the song Weird Al did, a parody of "Our Love's in Jeopardy", is actually focused on the ORIGINAL version of Jeopardy with Don Pardo as the announcer and Art Flemming as the host (both appear in the video, Pardo appears on the song as well)

Barada, did you know that before TPIR, Bob Barker hosted (throughout it's entire run) the 2nd-longest-running gameshow in TV history, Truth or Consequences, for 18 years? So he's hosted 48 years of 2 of the longest-running gameshows on TV, I'm beginning to think we NEVER saw him on TPIR with his original hair color. ;)

I never heard about some woman breaking his leg, but I wouldn't at all be surprised. It's funny too, because he's clearly been mauled by tons of women over the years, yet he still lets them hug and kiss him.

Is "Hole in One" the golf game, or something else? There's a handful of games where, when I first see them, I know it's going to end in major disappointment. "The Dice Game" is never among them. ;)

Yesterday, in the ep I mentioned above, they offered 2 cars AND a van! A few days ago, they offered one guy a $70,000 boat (it was a beauty too, he didn't win but he came close). Barker spent a minute explaining how it took them forever to get this boat into the studio, and the guy lost the game in less time than it took to tell the story! :D

Fulit, Bob Barker's performance in Happy Gilmore was the high point of that film, and he got to show off a little of the karate he learned from Chuck Norris while stomping Adam Sandler.

LBC, I was thinking about how TPIR is the only daytime game show on TV anymore, it really is strange too. I guess the staying power comes from the multitude of games instead of just one gimmicky game. Is "Spelling Bee" the one where Bob ends up putting his hand through various letters and pulls out cards with cash amounts or other stuff on 'em? All I know for certain is that game is shaped like a bee hive. ;)

I remember that Press Your Luck incident, I always thought it was weird that he was the only guy to figure out the pattern of the lights, I was just a kid but I could predict every move. (Then again, that doesn't mean I could actually have applied that info yet this guy did.)

I never got into Card Sharks and Pyramid, but I watched "Password" with that creepy whispering announcer, "the password is: mortifying". ;) I also watched WAY too much Family Feud until Ray Combs kicked the bucket. He was a pretty good replacement for Richard Dawson, who will always be the host for that show.

BTW, did you know that there actually was a 30-minute The Price is Right from 1956? It had Don Pardo as the announcer and Bill Cullen as the host, it ran for 9 years. Basically, I gather it was just 30 minutes of the opening bidding game between the 4 contestants from the current show, with different rules and a build-up game play (that's right, no showcases, no Plinko, etc). The current TPIR is now in its 30th season, and its 15th with announcer Rod Roddy.

SWAFMAN
10-27-2001, 09:46 AM
Gotta Luv TPIR!
Yep - Plinko is the best game, IMO, and the "Yodeler" game is great, too.
bigbarada - I'll have to test your 'every 2nd & 5th gets a car' theorem. If it really holds-up, then that is a great catch by you!
I got to sit in the front row for one episode back in the 70's. It is really hard to see when you watch on TV, but there's one lady who sits there during every show, who's job it is to help the contestants standing at the front to bid, telling them when & where to sit/stand, and other stuff.
As with all tv shows, the sets look even more (if possible) cheesey and much less glamorous in-person. You wouldn't believe how much of that stuff is just spray-painted sculpted styrofoam block. It looks more substantial on tv.
I haven't seen it much for the last 5 years, but I hope they've replaced some of the models by now. Geeze, a couple of 'em were looking pretty high-mileage last time I watched.

SWAFMAN
10-27-2001, 09:55 AM
almost forgot.....

My other favorite game show was the Gong Show!!!!!
The host, Chuck Barris, and the usual gang of celebs on the panel - Juicy JP Morgan, Pat McCormick, Paul Williams, et al, single-handedly kept the nation of Columbia's economy afloat during the mid-to-late 70's. These guys were so buzzed during the tapings that the mics were practically picking up the hum. And this isn't my guesswork or "a friend of a friend told me...." - I was on the inside. But they were all pretty much the nicest folks you could ever know.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2001, 11:36 AM
Posted by JT: but I watched "Password" with that creepy whispering announcer, "the password is: mortifying". I still use that whisper to say many things, such as "The password is: nondisestablishmentarianism," or "The password is: the." It's great!:) :)

My list (ooh! ooh! Lists!) of favorite game shows, in no real order:

1. Jeopardy! (yes, JT, I knew the Weird Al song!)
2. Win, Lose or Draw
3. Concentration
4. Joker's Wild
5. Press Your Luck
6. Sale of the Century
7. Super Password
8. Tic Tac Dough
9. The Algebra Show (NOT! Did anyone have to endure this atrocity in math classes? ugh!)
10. Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (gotta be honest, I like it)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-27-2001, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hamsterboy
Price is Right is pretty good. It sucks they don't have many game shows on during the daytime. Wasn't there one point in time they had Wheel of Fortune on three times a day? I thought it was like in the morning,then before primetime,then again before they showed the local news. Or am I wrong?

I think your right Hamsterboy. Wheel of Fortune had a daytime and a nighttime version of the show at the same time. I believe Pat hosted both, but I do remember Bob Goen of Entertainment Tonight fame hosting during Pat Sajak's leave to host an ill-fated talk show. Also, a man named Rolf Bershnike (sp?) hosted too. I am guessing the daytime version was axed in 1989, the same year all of the networks got rid of their daytime gameshows (Except TPIR)

Incidentally, Family Feud with Richard Dawson, and Match Game (Match Game PM--you can read an article about Brian Billick (sp?) of the Baltimore Ravens appearance, in this week's Sports Illustrated) with Gene Rayburn where two shows that had a day and a night time version at the same time. Usually the nighttime version only ran 1 day a week, and jackpots were doubled because of that.

The Price is Right had a nighttime show hosted by Tom Kennedy (Name that Tune, Whew!) in the mid 80's and one in the 90's (I forget the hosts name) but that was axed because of low ratings.

SWAFMAN
10-27-2001, 05:21 PM
It's funny, but Jeopardy never even entered into my mind in this discussion. I've been watching faithfully ever since it was hosted by Art Phleghm ;) way back in the day. I think it is on such a higher plateau than anything like TPIR, that I never thought of it as a game show. But, in the end, I guess that's what it is. So, I ammend my previous posts to say Jeopardy is, without question, the best game show of all time.

But, if IQ is factored out of the equation, then I'm back to TPIR & The Gong Show.

:)

JediTricks
10-28-2001, 10:25 AM
Was the Gong Show really a "game show"? I thought of it more like Star Search, which certainly is NOT a game show. Poor, poor Ed McMahon. ;)

Bel-Cam, I do the same thing! "The password is... oily." I totally forgot about "Win, Lose, or Draw", I used to watch that one quite a bit along with "To Tell the Truth".

LBC, Wheel of Fortune and TPIR both had several syndicated versions with different hosts. They're planning on doing this with "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and "The Weakest Link", both of which are going to be with different hosts 5 days a week.

Hey Swaffy, regarding your "Jeopardy!" comments about being above the other game shows, five and a half words: Rock 'n Roll Jeopardy on VH1 ;)

SWAFMAN
10-28-2001, 11:01 AM
JT - that sounds like one of those questions from SNL's sketch "Cawfee Tawk - with Linda Richman"

Linda: "Gong Show - game show or talent search? Tawk amongst yawselves [insert karate kid sand-the-floor hand motions here]"

But, I guess you're right JT. It would be more of a talent search than a game show, as they didn't make the contestants do any games to win anything. I guess I was focusing more on the celeb panel aspect than the show format.

As for R&R Jeopardy, I don't consider it "real" Jeopardy. And you're right to label it down with the rest of the common game show fare.

Fulit
10-28-2001, 01:18 PM
Does anyone like"Win Ben Stein's Money"? I know it was a lot better before Jimmy Kimmel left the show, but it still has it's moments.

master jedi
10-28-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by GNT
We had our own version here in Australia, although due to poor ratings it got cancelled :( I enjoyed it mostly :)

Trust me, it get dang old dang fast.

JediTricks
10-28-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
Does anyone like"Win Ben Stein's Money"? I know it was a lot better before Jimmy Kimmel left the show, but it still has it's moments. I used to watch this ALL the time, but when they got that woman to replace Kimmel, the show just sucked eggs. I used to love the way Stein would go off whenever someone answered in Jeopardy style.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2001, 11:50 PM
Ben Stein was nothing without Jimmy Kimmel. Nancy Pimento (or whatever) is not really funny, IMO.

Anyone ever go on a game show? Or try out? I sent in a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to Jeopardy! but apparently you were supposed to mail in a postcard. They probably figured if this kid (I was about 15, I think) can't follow our simple instructions, he can't be even considered. :( Someone I knew in college was on the new Family Feud, but they lost in the last round with only 199 points (you need 200 to get the jackpot). D'oh!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-28-2001, 11:56 PM
Wheel of Fortune and TPIR both had several syndicated versions with different hosts. They're planning on doing this with "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and "The Weakest Link", both of which are going to be with different hosts 5 days a week.

JT, yes I heard that too. The Weakest Link will not have Anne Robinson as host (I guess she is going back to England). They picked her replacement, some no-name loser. Also, Rosie O'Donnell was rumored to be hosting a revival of Let's Make A Deal but negotiations fell through at the last minute (due to money reasons no less).

And I was aware of that old Price is Right show with Bill Cullen. Game Show network sometimes airs old episodes on Black n White Sunday. I also remember the show gave away a lot of exotic prizes.

I'll throw out some more old gameshows and see how many of them ya'all remember. Some should be easy.

Fun House
Monopoly
Wipeout
Super Pay Cards
Treasure Hunt
High Rollers

evenflow
10-29-2001, 09:19 AM
I was always a big fan of Let's make a Deal and Press your Luck.

SWAFMAN
10-29-2001, 10:26 AM
I had an appointment to show up for a tryout for Jeopary back in the early 80's. I chickened out and didn't go. I can answer most of the questions when I watch, but I know it would be a whole different thing to be there. I tried those phone questions to get on "...Millionaire," and choked on them big-time. They weren't even hard, but when they said you only have "x" time limit to answer, my heart started beating fast and I got the muther of all mental blocks. Oh well...

JediTricks
10-29-2001, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Nancy Pimental is a total shrubbery compared to Jimmy Kimmel, she has the personality of a damp sponge.

If I were ever inclined to go on a gameshow, there'd be no question that I'd go on TPIR - the chances of actually WINNING something are way way way way WAY higher there than on any other gameshow thanks to the law of averages (9 people get picked from the audience every game to bid for a chance to get up on stage, 6 people out of those 9 actually get up on stage by winning a prize, and every bidder who doesn't appear on stage still gets a prize that's not too shabby). Dunno if I actually COULD do this though.

LBC, I remember none of those, unless you're referring to the awesome Monopoly game from the early '90s during ABC's summer of gameshows (it aired after or before Super Jeopardy! and looked like a LOT of fun).

The "Let's Make a Deal" brand name has been in SO much trouble ever since the incident with the Florida phone-in lawsuit. I'm not entirely clear what the issue was, but for weeks, the producers of this phone-game were forced by court order to buy ads in TV guide that detailed how to get your hands in the class action lawsuit.

Swaf-o, I know exactly what you mean, it's the pressure of the clock that is a freak-out to me.

master jedi
10-29-2001, 02:57 PM
I remember Fun House. I used to love that show.
Does anybody remember the game show Scrabble?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-29-2001, 03:47 PM
Scrabble was an okay game. I remember when USA aired repeats I used to watch it, but the game was a little too tame for my tastes.

Win Ben Stein's $$$ is a funny show to watch. Jimmy Kimmel certainly is the funnier of the two co-hosts (If I'm not mistaken they announced they canned that Nancy girl). I especially like it when Ben knows the answer to something, gets it wrong, and then drops an F-bomb (which of course is blotted out). He also gets so po'd when he stumbles at the end of the game and someone beats him. He usually throws the money at the contestant and then checks the questions over as if they were a mistake.

and yes JT Monopoly was that show in the early 90's that aired in primetime on NBC. I don't remember much about the show except the cool theme music (roll the dice, it's paradise). It got canned after a few weeks.

Fun House was a teen's show in where contestants used to wacky games (like stick their head in a pie). At the end of the show, contestants would rip apart a house and look for envelopes which contained $$$ or prizes.

High Rollers was a dice game, with Wink Martendale, they used to air repeats on USA in the early 90's. I think Alex Trebek hosted a version in the 70's

Super Pay Cards was a gameshow I used to see everyday on the Canadian stations in are area (cuz it was Canadian produced), but it aired in the states.

Wipeout was a late 80's show with Peter Tomarken, in where contestants were given screens with, for instance, 18 languages. Contestants had to pick out from the 18, the ones that were Romance languages.

Treasure Hunt was a cheesy 70's and early 80's show in where contestants had to pick from 64 gift wrapped packages for prizes. They only allowed two picks per show. One of the boxes had a check for $50,000. Some of the boxes contained things like a can of turtle wax while others had nice trips and stuff.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-29-2001, 07:25 PM
The one game show I always wanted to go on was Double Dare, from Nickelodoen. That show looked awesome! The questions were easy for me, and the stunts made me want to create my own obstacle course (never did). I always did really well on Scrabble clues, often guessing them before the first letter was shown, yet, as SWAFMAN noted, this was in the comfort and low anxiety of my own home.

JediTricks
10-30-2001, 01:26 AM
I had to do it LBC, I looked it up, Monopoly first aired on ABC on June 16th, 1990, it ran 2 months. Apparently, me and my mom aren't the only people who still hum the theme song. ;)

Bel-Cam, I always thought Double Dare looked like a cool show, but the final obsticle course looked too difficult, I can think of only a handful of instances where a team went all the way. When it became "Family Double Dare", it got a little strained but even then still remained classic.

SWAFMAN
10-30-2001, 10:43 AM
My son went to a taping of that show (just in the audience) at Uni Studios H-wood back around 1989/90. I remember everyone was given neat t-shirts with the show logo. That show did look like a lot of family fun.

Fulit
10-30-2001, 11:06 AM
I'm sitting here now watching The Price Is Right, and one question just comes up over and over. What do they have to do to these people to get this level of excitement out of them? Has there ever been anyone on the show that was anything less than exploding with excitement? It's just strange, you see these people about to kill themselves and everyone around them running down to Contestant's Row. I know they're giving stuff away, but sometimes I just want everyone to calm down a little. Sometimes I'm embarrassed for them.

master jedi
10-30-2001, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
I'm sitting here now watching The Price Is Right, and one question just comes up over and over. What do they have to do to these people to get this level of excitement out of them? Has there ever been anyone on the show that was anything less than exploding with excitement? It's just strange, you see these people about to kill themselves and everyone around them running down to Contestant's Row. I know they're giving stuff away, but sometimes I just want everyone to calm down a little. Sometimes I'm embarrassed for them.

Well put, Fulit. I've been feeling the same way for a long time.

It's just a toaster, people. Calm down!

SWAFMAN
10-30-2001, 08:23 PM
Ah, young Fulit, one day you will reach the age when your lechery has fully matured and you'll encourage their excitement - particularly when they are skimpy-tee-shirt-wearing female contestants, well-endowed and excited and preferrably a bit chilly!

Yes, yes, jump up and down, you happy contestant!

(boy, do I ever feel cheap and ashamed)

;) :D

Fulit
10-30-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
Ah, young Fulit, one day you will reach the age when your lechery has fully matured and you'll encourage their excitement - particularly when they are skimpy-tee-shirt-wearing female contestants, well-endowed and excited and preferrably a bit chilly!

Yes, yes, jump up and down, you happy contestant!

(boy, do I ever feel cheap and ashamed)

;) :D

When that happens, I'll post it here. For now, I'm focusing on Barker's Beauties. :D

JediTricks
10-31-2001, 10:30 AM
Fulit, I think most of the contestants that go on the show go on it because they LOVE the show and have been watching all their lives. While anybody can get tickets, if you look at that audience shots, most of them are wearing shirts designed to say something to Bob Barker and the show; Barker seems to bring out the giggles in women of all ages and ethnic backgrounds; so between those reasons and the fact that they're on TV, I think the high level of excitement makes sense. Plus, have you ever watched when some confused person comes up to contestant row, it just kills the pace of the show, the excitement dies and the only things Barker can do is molly-coddle the contestant or make light fun of them. Better to have excited folks than those Jeopardy contestants who look like they just took a handful of prozac. ;)

Plus, anybody who gets up to contestants' row is guaranteed to get a prize of at least $100 in quality, plus they get to chat with Barker between commercials.

CaptainSolo1138
12-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Do you still support your position, JT, now that it has changed hands? I don't mind Drew Carey, but he's no Bob Barker.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I have watched a few episodes of TPIR over the last few days (can't normally because of work), and let me be the first to say, Drew Carey is no Bob Barker.

The excitement that Bob used to generate with the pricing games like opening the last ticket in "Punch-A-Bunch" is now absent, replaced with something that makes the show less watchable.

I don't think he is doing a horrible job, but the problem with many gameshows of this generation (the Pyramid, Family Feud), is that the hosts for the show have been celebrities who had hits in other genres (that are usually on the downward path) that do not capture the essence of the gameshow host from the 1970's. To be a great gameshow host, you have to be part politician, part used-car salesman, part weatherman, part counselor. Watch the classic shows on the Gameshow Network and take notes on the many greats that are featured. Richard Dawson, Gene Rayburn, Alan Ludden, Bob Eubanks, Jim Perry, and Bill Cullen, are all masters at their craft. I haven't seen a host in a while, on any gameshow (save Regis Philbin and Ann Robinson) that has me thinking of those gameshow giants.

jjreason
12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Bob was The Price Is Right. I don't foresee it being around much longer than another season or two. :sad:

El Chuxter
12-26-2007, 02:29 PM
It's an embarassment, and I don't even dislike Drew Carey. This could ruin his career and, sad to say, he probably saw it as his guaranteed ticket to even more naked chicks in his hot tub.

JediTricks
12-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Do you still support your position, JT, now that it has changed hands? I don't mind Drew Carey, but he's no Bob Barker.No way, it's DOA. Part of the problem is Drew's not particularly good at the job, so he's just kinda always chuckling at the oddity of it all, laughing at the fact that they keep paying him for this. He just robs the show of its energy, and not that it ever had dignity, but Bob Barker took the games just seriously enough to make them compelling while still fun; Drew doesn't have that at all.

jjreason
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
He's too "cool" for the job. You hit the nail on the head, JT - Bob took it just seriously enough.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Another (much less well known) host taking over for a game show veteran: Bill Engvall reboots Chuck Woolery's Lingo. I watched it yesterday, on the Game Show Network. I liked the original show, which also had a "co-host" who typed in letters and updated contestants' scores and letters, as well as keeping Chuck from talking to himself or forced to create his own banter. I will say, that I laughed harder at this first episode more than I normally would at a game show. But it is unlikely that I'll rush home to catch every show.

El Chuxter
06-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I was visiting my parents, and, apparently, my mom watches game shows all day long. When The Price Is Right came on, I asked her who was hosting it. She told me Bob Barker wasn't doing it anymore, and that it's Drew Carey now. I told her I hadn't recognized him. She commented that he's lost a lot of weight. "It's not the weight, though. He doesn't look like Drew Carey. He looks like a zombie from 1950."

JediTricks
06-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah, he was looking good until recently, now he looks very unhealthy. But he's running marathons or something like that, so I guess he's doing ok.

"Lingo", one of the rare gameshows I've not heard of.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
"Lingo", one of the rare gameshows I've not heard of.It combines (as 2 two-player teams competing) "language" (guessing 5-letter words when given the first letter) and "bingo" (pulling numbered balls to get a five-n-a-row combination). That's where the "Binguage" show name comes from... I mean "Lingo."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-28-2011, 08:46 PM
While Drew's hosting has gotten better, the show itself has denigrated. The average win rate the past season for a typical show (which has 6 pricing games) was on average 2 or less per show. The games became so difficult that going against conventional wisdom, the audience, and all logic was the only way to win at certain points. Producers tried to make up for it by supersizing the showcases at the end of the show (featuring snazzier cars and more exotic trips), but very few people really prefer the disappointment of the pricing games to the more expensive show cases. Also the amount of themed shows such as Father's Day, April Fools Day, etc. and guests plugging their products on the showcases have skyrocketed over the past season or so.