PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sick and Tired of all these "Extreme" Facial Expressions

mrmiller
09-20-2002, 01:26 PM
Is it just me, or is everyone else also getting tired of the Extreme Facial expressions Hasbro has be slaping on the grills of our beloved Star Wars figs lately? At first I thought it was cool of hasbro adding a little emotion to the figures faces, instead of the old "blank stare" face. But these wide open screaming mouth, squinted or buggy eyed, wrinkled forehead sculpts annoy me. C'mon Has-Bro, get with it and create some decent figures that can be used in more than one pose and diaorama. Sure it looks good on your Toy Fair Displays and packaging, but as a figure they suck. I know, I know... If you don't like 'em don't buy 'em. But I'm a Junkie, and have to have every Star Wars figure they make. They could make a EU Mr. hanky Star Wars figure and I'd buy it.

=MATT=

JediBoulton
09-20-2002, 01:51 PM
I have got to agree..The expressions are a little too much. However, the only one I really have a problem is the Mace Windu Figure -- this could have been a really cool figure -- but instead, we had to include "OUCH you just shot me" Mace.

This head would be a great sculpt for the Zeus Carver from Die Hard III. Accessories would include the two plastic water jugs to get 5 gallons

mrmiller
09-20-2002, 02:07 PM
I think they also ruined the new Padme, the Deluxe Anakin. The new Mace too. I like the facial expressions like the TA Anakin, that are not as extreme as the screaming face. The again, I can think of some naughty dioramas to set up with the Mace, Padme, and Anakin. Since this is a family forum I will not go into it, but you all know you pose your figures in some rather racy poses sometimes. Just admit it.

=MATT=

The Overlord Returns
09-20-2002, 02:12 PM
I agree with the first Mace......I couldn't bring myself to buy him.

Still....padme does not look that extreme. I have hope she'll be ok as a neutral figure.

Beast
09-20-2002, 02:16 PM
The only one that I don't really care for is the Mace Windu: Geonosian Rescue. The rest aren't all that bad, IMHO. I guess the Anakin that comes with the Slice 'n Dice Geonosian is a bit bad also, but that's mostly due to his giant black eyebrows. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
09-20-2002, 02:20 PM
I guess I don't see a good pic of the new Padme, but to me she looks like she has a lowered brow and squinted eyes, to go along with the open mouth. That's OK for her running or in an action scene. But if you wanted a more neutral pose for other dioramas (Like a deleted trial scene) it's going to be crappy, and the 1st Padme isn't any better.

Also the new "evil grin" mace looks bad. I just want some more neutral expressions on some of the main figures I can use in more dioramas.

=MATT=

corporal AMF
09-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Well I don't remember Mace screaming or yelling or even openign his mouth in any scene........he was really concentratedin his fighting and that is what the figue should have reflected a powerfull master who don't need to go weaving and yelling with a lightsaber

evenflow
09-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I can't stand them, or action poses. I wish we could just get all standard generic facial expressions and poses like when the line first started. That is just my opnion.

The Overlord Returns
09-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
I can't stand them, or action poses. I wish we could just get all standard generic facial expressions and poses like when the line first started. That is just my opnion.

youi know....everyone here says that.....

but when a figure gets released that IS like that....everyone seems to think it's plain and boring....

It's no wonder hasbro doesn't listen to the collectors........ we're complete lunatics!

Beast
09-20-2002, 03:02 PM
We're also almost impossible to please, so that doesn't help matters anyway. Just look at some of the best POTJ figures that people still complained about. Hasbro is damned if they do, and damned if they don't. Arn't you glad you don't have such a frustrating job. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
09-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Someday disgruntled hasbro employees are going to show up at a midnight madness event armed to the teeth and looking for collector blood.

Lord Tenebrous
09-20-2002, 03:14 PM
Let's not even joke about that.

The facial expressions have grown on me, but mostly for detail, like teeth. I do suppose there's an argument that it keeps the figure looking 'fresher' longer, but mostly it's a change in style that has to be accepted. Unless you're like me, who judges a figure individually. Sometimes a more dramatic facial expression sells the figure.

JediTricks
09-20-2002, 05:22 PM
I can't stand 'em either. A little gives character when it's done in a subtle way, but these have been anything BUT subtle lately and it's just a darn shame. Same thing with extreme poses, that's what articulation should be for but instead they sacrifice articulation for the pose!

Nexu
09-20-2002, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it's really not cool. It's pretty bad when people are taking the $10 deluxe Mace over the $5 "balls in a bear trap" version. :rolleyes:

Bib Forlobster
09-20-2002, 05:35 PM
If Hasbro made a great figure of a character first thing off the bat, it would be harder for them to sell resculpts afterward. Think about it, how many of you who are planning to buy the next Padme already own the first version? They're basically the same figure, but the second looks better than the first. I, for example, want a really good sculpt of Obi-Wan and have bought the first two out so far, but am not entirely happy with either of them. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the next one or not, but I probably will and will continue this way until a really accurate, fairly neutral Obi-Wan from AOTC comes out.

Nexu
09-20-2002, 05:42 PM
If I don't like the figure (because of sculpt, accessories, waepons, paint, whatever) I don't buy it, unless they don't make another version, or I find one that doesn't look absolutley horrid.

JEDIpartner
09-20-2002, 07:25 PM
I just bought another Padme figure so I can prepare for the necessary surgery to her "screaming" head.

I've said that about the faces for months and I was greeted with a resounding "shut up"... I'm glad there are a few more of us.

bigbarada
09-20-2002, 09:41 PM
I've had the same experience with the militant "if you don't like it, don't buy it" camp, JEDIpartnr.

We don't complain because we like it, we don't complain because we have nothing else to do, we don't complain because we are impossible to please, we don't complain because we have a negative outlook on life.

We complain because we have become accustomed to a certain level of quality from Star Wars and because if you don't speak out, nothing will ever change.

I think these extreme facial expressions are one of the worst ideas of the Saga line. They look terrible.

InsaneJediGirl
09-20-2002, 10:29 PM
*:DSteps in JPs and BigBs camp:D*

I've hated these "I've been kicked in my croch" for awhile now..in my opinion,it would be better to make a neutral face.After all,Jedi are not supposed to be overly agressive when fighting.:)

The problem with the "If you dont like it,dont buy it" mentallity is that this thing will clog up the pegs for months,because only a few select people will buy them.Then..nothing will come in for months,its a bad cycle.

LTBasker
09-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Anyone else notice that Padme didn't even scream that much when she was scratched, or when she fell onto the Reek? :rolleyes:

I don't mind a little emotion in the figure head sculpts, it's just Geo Mace and this Padme are really over board. Maybe some P.O.'ed looking eyes or something but they don't need to look like they got tacks in their shoes. ('Course then again if that was in the movie they'd be CGI tacks and they'd probably laugh instead of yell)

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 10:12 AM
she did scream when he sliced her, then jumped back to the ground and taunted her, but when she landed "stuff down" on the reek and pecked anakins cheek? uuuhhh
Now when I was younger, and rode bmx bikes all over the place, if you hit your stuff on the seat or the bar in the middle too hard, you didnt say "ok lets go" you said "SA)(&)#$(&$@$)(&!!!" (even the tom-boy girls did, when they landed wrong and hard) - we had a dirt pit not too far from our houses and went every day.
LOL
In the theatre when she came down like that I cringed, yet she remained unscathed, maybe she had a pillow strapped to her butt? :confused:

and please don't get me started on crybaby mace :) I'm eagerly awaiting a neutral posed Mace, and that could be some time down the road, unless "tumor-action " mace can have surgery on his back and get that stupid thing removed (if he's even a good looking sculpt) (super-duper ultra-realistic light saber action: mace windu) heh :o

Chiesa
09-21-2002, 10:52 AM
I totally agree with you on that Darth forb1us... LOL... What you just described really brought back memories of my younger days as a kid... Seriously even if I jumped on my bed, I wouldn't act totally non chalent abt it like the way Padme did when she landed on the reek!! The reek just looks scaly and rough... wheres the joy in that? :D:D:D

I shall not go on to say abt Mace... They reallly made one of the most powerful Jedi look like he got shot in the arse by someone... Oh well I really hope that the 2003 gets alittle resculpt so that I can finally own a Mace...

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Jayspawn
09-21-2002, 11:47 AM
I agree with you all about the extreme facial expressions. They have got to go. I can put up w/ Padme. But the James Brown-screamin Mace was IS horrible. And the Deluxe Anakin should have never happened. And because Mace looks like crap, hes now pegwarming every self in the nation.

Please Hasbro, make regular face sculpts.

QLD
09-21-2002, 12:26 PM
I like them.....

Ok...I can't lie......they suck......

But I am moer tired of "extreme" sports than I am of the "extreme' facial expressions. :)

JEDIpartner
09-21-2002, 03:14 PM
The nice thing about the more "neutral" faces is that the figures are more applicable to more than just one situation. I think the "faces" are great for diorama builders like Tycho, but most of us are not in that game. Sometimes I like to have a figure in a ship or fighting or even just standing around with other figures having a conversation. I really don't know that Hasblah will hand us another Padme in this outfit, and to see them waste it on an open-mouth version really bothers me.

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 04:48 PM
First, James Brown kicks butt :D

second, LOL
I do see a point to Mace's expression, such as a diorama and in the foreground he hacks Jango's head off. *as he charges Jango and brings the final blow to bear, the energy ripping through his body forces him to let a powerful yell from his lips*

but other then that the shot in the butt thing doesnt do it for me...... ;)

I hope hasbro makes some really cool figs down the road here, Im really looking forward to some on the lists I've seen

Old Fossil
09-21-2002, 08:06 PM
They could actually do some neat things with 'extreme facial expressions':

1. "I can't believe I just got the boot" Chancellor Valorum, with look of utter disbelief

2. "That's no moon..." Obi-Wan, with wide-eyed stare

3. "I'm just tryin' to help" Lando, mouth agape

4. "Charming to the last" Grand Moff Tarkin, with evil sneer

The possibilities are endless.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-21-2002, 08:30 PM
Or Luke putting his hands behind his head after getting some lovin' from his sister on Hoth. Not to much Hans disbelief. my vote are for those.

Darth forb1us
09-21-2002, 09:40 PM
haha good idea's :p