PDA

View Full Version : Gimmicks in our regular 12"? NOOOOOO!!!!

JediTricks
09-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Much of the Saga line of 4" figures has been about action gimmicks, but with regular 12", we've been excused from such crassness... until now? SW.com has a listing up for the 2003 wave of 12" figures including one very disturbing listing:

Anakin Skywalker (with Slashing Lightsaber Action)

True, this figure has a replaceable robotic arm, 2 lightsabers, and a new constipated face - but is the regular 12" line ramping up for desparate action gimmicks? That's what the 12" Joe line did with their Street Fighter offshoot!!! I hope they don't compromise the figures, but I fear they will.

Beast
09-20-2002, 04:28 PM
It's not the first time that gimmicks have appeared in the 12" Line. Remeber the 12" Luke Skywalker w/ Slashing Lightsaber and Han Solo w/ Quick Draw that were exclusive to Europe? I remeber quite a few people around here that were upset that they didn't release them here. The talking 12" figures could be considered gimmicks also, if you really want to think about it. Anything that wasn't standard to the line could be considered "gimmicky". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
09-20-2002, 04:28 PM
why am i not suprised.:cry: :confused:

if they want gimmicks on a 12 inch figure, it needs to be in a separate line, like the electronic figures.

i've pretty much given up on hasbro. all i ask is for a decent head sculpt and costumes. if the gimmick body is anything like those in the 4 inch line, i'll just swap it out.

now that i think of it, electronic qui-gon and maul did have a kind of knob on their back that let the figure swing his saber. but i just pulled their heads off anyway.......

mini-rock
09-20-2002, 05:38 PM
I don't have a problem with Hasbro adding an "action" to a 12" action figure. What I do not like is getting another Anakin released within a year when there are plenty of other charachters in AOTC that I'd like to see.

Jedi Master Silas
09-20-2002, 06:58 PM
I dont mind actiony (LOL I'm making up words today but who cares its Friday) type figure as long as they dont get to cartoonish, or as long as they dont start painting clothing on them like the new 12" carded GI Joe wanna be figures. Although I would like to see the 12 line stay more like the 12" figs of the past, life-like faces and costumes etc.

Exhaust Port
09-20-2002, 11:08 PM
I would prefer that the line would work towards providing the best "figure" not the best toy. The 12" line seems to be geared more towards those interested in the display possibilities not a toy with some dumb action flip or other karate chop.

<--- 666th post! Pretty scary stuff. :evil:

Darth Cruel
09-21-2002, 02:35 AM
I have always hated the gimmicks. Still do. 'Nuff said.

Clowntrooper
09-21-2002, 07:31 AM
I love the firing blaster gimmick.

Super Serg
09-21-2002, 07:36 AM
Gimmicks aren't the problem for me.
You see, you could easily change the head onto a better body &
BAM, instant improvement.

What I DON'T get on this *new* Anakin figure is.... Why didn't
they add his CLOAK!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

>: (

*SS*

Exhaust Port
09-21-2002, 10:35 AM
The biggest problem will be the that the prices will most likely increase to cover their new junky features. Even if we exchange the bodies we'll be forced to pay for it.

derek
09-21-2002, 10:39 AM
hey serg,

i hear you regarding the jedi robe, but that new anakin head is terrible. as i said before, it looks like doogie howser, and now i have proof:) (i didn't compile this photo, some forumite at rebel scum did) come on custom anakin headsculpt!!!:)

Jayspawn
09-21-2002, 11:14 AM
(Oh my God)

Anyways, I can do without gimmicks. Why put the extra time and money in Hasbro? We don't like them!

Anyways, where is the robe on NEW (and unnessessary) 12" Anakin??? Lets stop with these stupid gimmicks and make figures the correct way (Hasbro used to do it, shouldn't be a problem).

Here's what Hasbro thinks when thinking of action features...

" This will be fun, we can make it have lightsaber 'slashing' action that way it can battle the Count Doou figure. Kids will like that. And this Han Solo could have 'quick-draw' action. Thats a great idea too."

mini-rock
09-21-2002, 02:57 PM
Wow! It does look like Doogie.

Jedi Howser M.D.?

Doogie vs Dooku! (the doo-doo battle)

:D

JediTricks
09-21-2002, 03:49 PM
I never liked the idea that we were to blindly accept that we MUST receive terrible bodies on these figures and have to swap them out if we wanted good toys. This reinforces that notion and the silliest part of all is that the gimmick isn't going work because the fabric clothes will get in the way.

derek
09-21-2002, 03:55 PM
I never liked the idea that we were to blindly accept that we MUST receive terrible bodies on these figures and have to swap them out if we wanted good toys

i don't like it either, but hasbro dosen't listen. there is no excuse for the 2nd anakin having a modified H.O.F. body, but that's what it looks like he will have. as for the lever or whatever hasbro will use, i imagine there will be a slit in anakin's clothing so the lever can stick out of his back, kind of like the electronic qui-gon.

JediTricks
09-21-2002, 04:07 PM
I was thining a bulked up torso with spring-loaded arms that limit articulation.

derek
09-21-2002, 10:11 PM
check out these jedi customs:

http://pub133.ezboard.com/fmenwithdollsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=4446.topic

this is what the new anakin should look like

Super Serg
09-22-2002, 09:21 AM
HOLY $&!@!!!!!!!
That is FREAKIN OUTSTANDING!

& the part about this link that hurts the MOST is that Hasbro could EASILY be doing this!!!!

Hasbro.... PLEASE contact me!

*SS*

mini-rock
09-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Those are friggin cool. They definitly look more life like, but they look less like the actors than the Hasbro figures.

Exhaust Port
09-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Perhaps Hasbro should make the figures for any upcoming movie prior to the start of production. This way, the casting agents can find actors that look like the figures since Hasbro seems to have so much trouble making the figures look like the actors. :D

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 04:13 PM
OH my GOD! Hasbro should hire this guy to design the 12" line.

plasticfetish
09-23-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
True, this figure has a replaceable robotic arm, 2 lightsabers, and a new constipated face - but is the regular 12" line ramping up for desparate action gimmicks?

That's too bad ... this is probably one of two 12" AOTC figures I'd let myself buy, but not if it's got the gimmick. I really like the idea of having the robot arm replacement too (shucks).

I always hear (OK, read) about people switching heads and clothes onto "better" or other bodies. What do you all think about the idea of Hasbro simply selling super poseable body "blanks" and then selling costume kits with pop-on heads (maybe multiple expressions), etc. It's something the Japanese used to do with a few of their (vintage) figure lines ... and I think in the long run it would be more flexible for people who customize. Probably cheaper for all of us ... then if they wanted to issue "gimmicky" figures seperately they could, but we'd have a choice. Just an idea ... err ... Hasbro?
(Oh well, just dreaming.)

Doc Brown
09-23-2002, 05:11 PM
Yeah I as a collector I don't really care about having the "gimmicks". I think those should be left to the plastic electronic 12" figures. Those are geared towards kids more anyway. Even the past 12" figures that have had sound ability (elec. vader, boba fett, etc.) look great but I could do without the sound. Mainly because with a clothed figure it's a pain to take off their clothing to get to the batteries either to replace them or for fear of it corroding after time. I sincerely hope the new 12" anakin doesn't start a trend with hasbro.. :P

mini-rock
09-23-2002, 05:57 PM
Well, considering Hasbro has only released 3 "gimmicky" figures in the 12" line (2 weren't even available in the states) I wouldn't consider this a progressive trend. After all this is only 1 figure in over a hundred.

Perhaps the motivation behind this is that the 3 3/4 inch Anakin with 2 sabers sold well. Just a guess.:)

allenj456
09-24-2002, 10:26 AM
I hate any kind of gimmick like that- it usually dosent even work. Whats the point of having a lightsaber slash action feature if the plastic you make the saber out of is so soft and flimsy that it breaks the first time you try to use it? I finally found the 12" electronic Obi Wan and was all set to buy it until i started messing with it. First of all what ever voice is on there in no way resembles Ewan- it's terrible! Also you cant touch it or tilt it without it making some battle noise- not only that it sounds more like a boxing match than anything else. I put it back on the shelf and walked away.

mini-rock
09-24-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by allenj456
I hate any kind of gimmick like that- it usually dosent even work. Whats the point of having a lightsaber slash action feature if the plastic you make the saber out of is so soft and flimsy that it breaks the first time you try to use it? I finally found the 12" electronic Obi Wan and was all set to buy it until i started messing with it. First of all what ever voice is on there in no way resembles Ewan- it's terrible! Also you cant touch it or tilt it without it making some battle noise- not only that it sounds more like a boxing match than anything else. I put it back on the shelf and walked away.

Have you tried the Electronic Jango Fett, and if you did what did you think?

JediBoulton
09-25-2002, 08:19 AM
The above pics are great of Anakin and Obi-Wan -- and look Hasbro -- no Gimmicks!! You really just need to let the only other good thing you have left ALONE!! You have screwed up the 3 3/4 inch line with gimmicks that we don't like (arm flappin mace--take a squat flippin anakin -- etc). Even thought the figures of the old days were a little plain -- at least they fit into the vehicles that Hasbro made. This is a little hard to do when you have a wind up key sticking 2" out your back!! Please, leave the 12" line alone -- concentrate on the face sculptures and the cloth clothes and the "metal" lightsaber hilts and make us proud once again!!

NO MORE CRAP GIMMICKS !!!

Doc Brown
09-25-2002, 09:30 AM
u said it, JediBoulton!! ;) amen to that!

Super Serg
09-25-2002, 10:15 AM
JediBoulton,
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Here here!

*SS*

allenj456
09-25-2002, 04:11 PM
The electronic 12" Jango was just as bad...the voice sounded like little boba was pinching his nose and the same tilt/touch battle sounds were there- The little fire things coming out the back of his jet pack light up. Im a little biased - I think Jango is the most over rated over used over hyped character ever (Maul a close second) but i had all the same complaints about Obi Wan- of whom i am a huge fan. So....

JediBoulton
10-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Lets play pretend for a sec. Pretend that the Ultimate Jango figure came with a backpack that had some electronics in it: blaster noises, screams of outrage, falling rain, etc. This might be a little more accepted by the collectors than a spring loaded head that pops off if you hit him in the chest -- this is crap. If Hasbro could make a 12" Tauntaun that could growl when you push a little button -- that might be ok too. But lets not make the luke that comes with it say "You smell something girl..." That would be a little much. Also, maybe some fly-by electronics in the 12" speederbikes would have been cool.

I think most collectors dont want the electronics to take away from the "realisum" of the 12" figure -- the realisum you loose in the 3 3/4 figures.

All in all, if Hasbro cant do the gimmicks right in the 3 3/4 figures -- then PLEASE DO NOT practice on the 12" line -- most of us STILL like this line of collectibles.

derek
11-06-2002, 04:37 PM
i just got the "European exclusive" luke with lightsaber swinging action, and it's not so bad after all. the excellent head sculpt and paint-job add a lot of value to this figure, and the lever that allows luke to swing his torso is small, does not interfer with his shirt, and is on his lower back.

if the new anakin features something like this, i won't complain much, as long as the headsculpt is decent.;)

JediTricks
11-06-2002, 09:15 PM
How's the articulation on it?

derek
11-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
How's the articulation on it?

it's the standard HOF body, the newer one, not with the bendy clicky legs. the saber swinging action is kinda lame, as it it really just a small peg that extends out of his lower back and allows the user to swivel his upper torso left and right. i thought it would of been spring loaded or something. but as far as gimicks go, it's not nearly as intrusive as on the small figures. but since it does not take away from the figure, or get in the way, it's not that bad. i don't know why this figure wasn't released i the states. i really like the paint job on the head. probably the best paint job i've seen on a hasbro figure. the eyes are what get high marks. they don't have that cartoonish quality a lot have.

and for some reason, he has a saber that exactly looks like anakin's episode 2 saber, not luke episode 4 saber.:confused:
i guess hasbro could see the future in 1998?:confused: really it's a vader saber with a chrome, instead of black, emitter.

JediTricks
11-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I think Vader's saber emitter has a curve at both ends of the shroud while the Ep 2 Ani saber emitter is a flat diagonal cut.

Thanks for the 411 on that fig, I'm surprised it's something so basic. I hope the upcoming 12" Ani has as little intrusion here, but I won't count on that.

Clowntrooper
11-08-2002, 09:23 AM
It's not the Standard body, it has a smaller chest.

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 04:37 AM
Heres the Anakin in box.. I like that he comes with 2 sabers but I dont like the gimmicky slashing action crap..

derek
11-13-2002, 09:06 AM
this looks better than the other photos i've seen, but it still dosen't look like hayden. the face seems too full, like hayden gained 40 pounds or something. the face looks familiar, but i can't decide on who it resembles.:confused:

as for the action feature, from as much as i can tell, this anakin figure looks to have a body similar to the european exclusive luke that just has a small post coming out of the lower back that lets you swivel the figures torso left and right. the neck of the figure is the give-away. on the luke figure, when the legs turn, the head moves in the same direction. it probably won't be too bad.

good photo jedi master silas.:)

JediTricks
11-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Yiiii! :eek: