PDA

View Full Version : Superman redux 2004

derek
09-21-2002, 01:27 PM
i just read that brett ratner(rush hour, red dragon) has been signed to direct the new superman movie, scheduled for release in 2004. he said it will be a re-telling of superman's origins, and anthony hopkins may play Jor-El. he said no one has yet been cast to play superman, but they are looking for an actor under 25.
j.j. abrams, the creator of "alias" has written the script.

what does this mean for the rumored batman vs. superman film? are there going to be 2 different actors playing superman? hopefully the batman vs. superman movie has been dumped. what's next, the hulk vs. wolverine?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/1582150

QLD
09-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Anthony Hopkis?

UGH.

That just seems......wrong....I hope they don't over-"star" it. But a bunch of big name people in it to draw mega-bucks, then ruin it.

They should let Christopher Lloyd play Jor-El :crazed:

JediTricks
09-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Yay, let's devote another hour and a half to the grossly-overtold tale of Kal-el's origins. Feh! We have 2 hours to tell a Superman story, everybody going to the theater knows who he is and doesn't need yet another reminding. There's supposed to be a story to be had there and it shouldn't be bogged down by Krypton's death. Stupid WB.

Beast
09-21-2002, 04:26 PM
Yeah, JT. They should have left Spider-Man's origins out of the new movie also. As well as Batman's in the Tim Burton films. They shouldn't deal with any of the villians origins in movies either. It has to be dealt with in the first movie, even though almost everyone knows how they came to be. :crazed: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
09-21-2002, 04:29 PM
hey jeditricks,

for those of us in the "reeves" generation, i completely understand where you are coming from. but with the success of X-men and spiderman the WB is thinking "franchise" here.:)

as i typed to QLD in another thread, i can almost guarantee there will be 3 more superman films.

so far, my only hope this film will be half-way decent is that the writer, j.j. abrams, has done a really good job with "alias", so there is a glimmer of hope.:)

Beast
09-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Frankly I still say they should use Kevin Smith's Superman script. I have read it and it's pretty damn good. It sucks that Tim Burton dismissed it when he was in charge, and now noone is going to do it. Hopefully they will decide to dust it off for a future Superman sequel. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
09-21-2002, 05:06 PM
X-men and Spider-man were tales never told on the big screen before. Burton's '89 Batman film did not show the origin of the character - it showed the origin of the Joker and only briefly alluded to Batman's origins - and that film is what reignited the current comic book movie trend and is largely considered the benchmark for such films.

In contrast, Superman's origins have been told on the big screen twice already, enough is enough, we don't need to see the kid lifting the car off of Jonathan Kent anymore. And since the Reeves movies, there have been 2, maybe even 3 TV series that dealt with the origins of Superman (one of which is currently airing now and has been augmenting the middle years) - this is already the most overtold story in comic book lore and now they want to do it again?!?

Pendo
09-21-2002, 05:22 PM
I hope they don't re-do Superman. I think they should use CGI to create Christopher Reeve for a 5th film, but they should NOT remake it!

And it wont be the same without Johnny Williams' amazing theme :D.

PENDO!

derek
09-21-2002, 05:26 PM
And it wont be the same without Johnny Williams' amazing theme .

good thought pendo!:)
they have to have williams score these new films!
if they don't, it would almost be like having a new star wars theme for the prequils.

The Overlord Returns
09-22-2002, 01:25 PM
I am in almost complete agreement with JT. The origin of superman is universally known....

In any new film, it need only take 10 minutes of screen time to explain...

Then again....hopefully they'll scrap it when they get hold of My JLA script........

unfortunately...I'm having trouble getting it below a Lord of the rings type running time,.

Rogue II
09-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
X-men and Spider-man were tales never told on the big screen before. Burton's '89 Batman film did not show the origin of the character - it showed the origin of the Joker and only briefly alluded to Batman's origins - and that film is what reignited the current comic book movie trend and is largely considered the benchmark for such films.

Remember all of the other Superhero films that came out around '89? Captain America, Punnisher, and The Phantom.

Superman was never my favorite superhero. Growing up, I always prefered Batman and Spiderman. I was never really attached to the Christopher Reeve Superman films of the 80s.

I doubt I will see any new Superman movie. I still have yet to see Spiderman.

But the best superhero movie in the 80s had to be FLASH GORDON. ;):D

Beast
09-22-2002, 06:00 PM
Flash Gordon was cool. They are supposedly kicking around a new Flash Gordon movie, but I haven't heard anything new for a while. Even if they did, I don't think it woud be as good as the 80's movie. How can you beat a movie with Max Von Sydow as Ming the Merciless. Not to mention Timothy Dalton, Brian "Boss Nass" Blessed, and Willian "Jek Porkins" Hootkins. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-22-2002, 06:05 PM
I didn't realize "Jek Porkins" was in Flash Gordon. Which part did he play?

Hmmm, I might have to change my avatar.....

Beast
09-22-2002, 06:15 PM
William Hootkins played Munson, who I believe was Dr. Hans Zarkov's assistant at the beginning of the film. I think he gets killed when the plane crashes. I may have to watch it again to be sure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-22-2002, 06:20 PM
I think this is him.

http://www.gosub600.com/flashgordon/flash37.jpg

Beast
09-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Yes indeed, that is William "Jek Porkins" Hootkins. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks.

JON9000
09-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Wow- Munson is Porkins and Porkins is Munson. Did you IMDB it or figure iy out on your own? BTW- my Porkins figure resides in his plastic cell- is his hair as thin as Munson's?

As for Superman- I have to agree with most of the other forumites- you cannot improve or remake the original with Reeve. It will just draw comparisons, and will definitely be panned for that reason. WB would do better to make a Justice League film or something.

Rogue II
09-22-2002, 08:40 PM
If the movie is geared towards kids, most of them probably have never seen the 80s Superman movies.

I remember all of the comparisons of the 89 Batman had to all of the previous Batman movies. Of course, the last Batman before Micheal Keaton was Adam West...

Justice League would end up turning out like X-Men, Mystery Men or The Specials (which reminds me I need to buy the Specials, that movie was hilarious). The writers would end up trying to put too much into a movie like Justice League.

Beast
09-22-2002, 08:52 PM
They would definatly screw the JLA up, just like how they screwed the X-Men movie up, by not including all the founding members. I really dislike how they handled the X-Men, since in the movie they are a recently formed group. Yet Beast (Hairy or Non-Hairy) is missing, Angel is missing, Marvel Girl is already Jean Grey, and IceMan is a young kid. Plus they included Wolverine, just because he's the most popular X-Men/Marvel Charecter. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediCole
09-22-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
If the movie is geared towards kids, most of them probably have never seen the 80s Superman movies.

Good point, Rogue II, however, even lacking the 80's movies, Superman's origin is perhaps the best known of any super-hero EVER! I would suspect a random poll of people in general (as opposed to those at the lobby of a comic convention) and asked them the origins of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and Hulk, the greater percentage would hit Supes origin closer to the mark than any of the other three.

Regardless of the prior films, Superman, in some incarnation or another, has had his origins done to death. Why not give the audience a little more screen time for the unfolding plotline of the script. But then again, we are all assuming that any origin sequence will be akin to the over-long, plodding, ham-handed, Brando-centric sequence featured in the first Chrisopher Reeves Superman film! Perhaps a brief synopsis (much like the opening of Lord of the Rings) is what the director has in mind. One can only hope.

Bear in mind that Superman is not one of my all time faves. I saw the first two films in their original releases, the first out of curiosity, the second under pressure from a friend, though I found that one far more satisfying. I think the thing that ANY author of ANY super-hero film needs most to guard against is the determination that they avoid every single villain associated with the title character. Or to subvert them into something so far removed from the comic version that they cease to be anything like that character.

The above is what ruined Lex Luthor's character, not one of the strongest villains ever, at least not until more recent years in the comics as I understand it, but he was made a farce on film. A writer or director associated with Batman about 10 years before a film (Burton's) was finally made was quoted in an article stating that he saw Joker as a "theatrical character, a man who dons white make-up and Vaudvillian attire to challenge Batman with his wits" (this is paraphrasing, mind you). He spoke of David Niven as a great choice. And that dreadful Punisher movie from many years back was another great "you have no clue, do you?" example. The director, when asked in an interview why the Punisher lacked his trademark costume he said, "Because that would be too much like a comic"! Correct me if I'm wrong here kids, but if I go see a movie BASED ON A COMIC, shouldn't it be at least a LITTLE like a comic? Is it any wonder that movie crashed and burned, that and the choice of lead.

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
They would definatly screw the JLA up, just like how they screwed the X-Men movie up, by not including all the founding members. I really dislike how they handled the X-Men, since in the movie they are a recently formed group. Yet Beast (Hairy or Non-Hairy) is missing, Angel is missing, Marvel Girl is already Jean Grey, and IceMan is a young kid. Plus they included Wolverine, just because he's the most popular X-Men/Marvel Charecter. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

There's a single line in X Men that points to other members/ students. Prof X explains to Logan that "Jean Scott were some of my first students".

This would indicate that perhaps other founding members were no longer around. It seems to me that the X Men in the film had been active for a few years, but were a covert group, much as they should have been in the comics.

It also only makes sense to have Wolverine in the film, as he IS the most popular character in comics today, let alone the x men. I think Singer also understood the need to have a "way in" for the audience. That was logan. He was as skeptical as we were, and he spoke for us.

I loved the way they handled the X Men film. It was easily the best superhero film since the '89 batman, and was MUCH better than spiderman, IMO.

scruffziller
09-23-2002, 12:53 PM
I heard that Jude Law is going to play Superman in Batman vs Superman.

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 01:36 PM
For anyone who wants to weep at what Warner seems to be doing to the Superman project...

head over to AICN and read Moriarty's review of the script by JJ Abrams........shudder, faint, choke on your own vomit......after you read the article...you will want to.

RooJay
09-23-2002, 03:59 PM
As of this moment (after having read the report of the script posted at Ain't It Cool) I am dedicating my life to doing whatever it takes to see that this particular Superman movie never goes before cameras. If it means that NO Superman movie is EVER made again - then so be it! I am a huge Superman fan. I LOVE the character. I respect the character. If this script is what we can expect to see in theaters representing Superman, then God help us all! Warner Brothers has absolutely no freaking clue! They just don't get it! I'd say that they are only doing this for the money, but surely even they must see that there is not a chance in HELL that people are going to buy into this crap! The only thing this film will accomplish, is to effectively ruin the DC Comics characters (that I love so much) credibility in Hollywood! It would then take at least another twenty years before anyone could even consider making a new, DECENT Superman movie! Now I know this is not the end of the world (although it could be seen as a major sign!), but as a lover of film, pop culture, of the Superman character, and just as someone who enjoys being entertained, I know, in my heart of hearts, that Superman could, and SHOULD make for one awesome movie! This, my friends, is the very antithesis of what that movie can and should be.
I have no idea what it takes to mount a campaign, or create a petition (and I don't mean one of the petitions we usually see in these forums that only gets seen and signed by us forumites), but if anyone would like to help me, or offer me any information on how to get this thing started, I will be eternally grateful! I am serious about this. If I have to seek out and destroy every copy of this script, break the writer's hands so he can never write again (mind you, I'm trying to be a bit nice - I'm sure it would take something MUCH more drastic to keep this simp from writing again!), threaten to send compromising photos of the Warners execs to their loved ones, whatever it takes...I will see that this...filthnever reaches theaters! I for one, have had it with the studios violating (and I mean that in the worst possible, most horrific sense!) us fans and filmgoers in this way! Who's with me?!

...Ricky McCallum ain't got nothin' on John Peters!

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 04:17 PM
If only as an instructional tool, I'm going to whip up a superman script that should help these idiots over at time warner figure out how it's done....

Why me? Well, 'cause Grant Morrisson won't bother.

Beast
09-23-2002, 04:21 PM
Ugh, what a piece of garbage. If they want to do a decent Superman movie, film Kevin Smith's script dammit. That would be the perfect Superman movie. Atleast KS knows the charecter, since he's been reading comics since he was a kid. And did a damn fine job on the comic series that he's written. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 04:30 PM
I mean...if they want to have "krypton at war" with someone....why not have Darkseid involved. Perhaps Apocalypse ends up destroying Krypton in war......atleast your set for a sequel and said sequels villain.

Ands what with the alien symbiote costume deal??

thespar
09-23-2002, 05:55 PM
heard the rumors about a new superman movies and last time i checked any rumors what that Nicolas Cage was in the running for the man with the s. do not shoot me if they info is no longer up to date.

Beast
09-23-2002, 05:59 PM
Nicholas Cage dropped out a long tie ago, cause they don't have a script ready yet. I think he got sick and tired of things getting ready to start, and then getting yanked at the last minute. No big loss, Nicholas Cage is a horrible choice for Supes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
No big loss, Nicholas Cage is a horrible choice for Supes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mind if I edit this part?

No big loss, Nicholas Cage is a horrible choice for Supes. :)

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of his.:D

QLD
09-23-2002, 07:18 PM
You know.....when I took a crap, stuffed it in an envelope, and mailed it to WB, I had no idea they would actually use it for something! Let alone the script for a Superman movie! :eek:

Beast
09-23-2002, 07:24 PM
I don't think they used your crap QLD, if they did it would have made a much better movie script. That script gives the saying, "I could crap a better movie", alot more weight. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
09-23-2002, 07:49 PM
i just read the whole synopsis...

that

was

AWFUL!

*sigh*

well, at least we got spidey 2...

RooJay
09-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Yeah..but Spidey ain't no Superman!

The Overlord Returns
09-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Newest news is that this is a huge powerstruggle angle over at WB.

Just found out that apparently M. Night Shayamlain went to wb, looking to direct the supes film, and was turned around and sent home as part of this weird struggle thing....

It also turns out that not every exec at warner found abrams script "perfect", far from that actually. They want re writes done, but theink the core idea is sound.

Beast
09-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Apperantly there is some follow up news regarding that stinkpile of a script. This was posted Thursday at the Superman Cinema (http://www.deceptions.net/superman/index.htm) website. Seems the negative press from people that got ahold of the script has WB in a panic. :)

WB ARE IN BIG TROUBLE!

Got this from my source today, 101% trustworthy:

WB are absolutely furious at Aint It Cool News' review of the script and is complete panic mode. Heads are rolling and the entire studio is in turmoil. It seems they are scared to death they may have another BATMAN & ROBIN situation on their hands (they do) where negative buzz kills the film before it is even released. This time before it is even shot! The entire project is now in jeopardy and that they may have to throw out the entire script and start over.

Someone who HATED the script and fought against it is the one who leaked it. But basically, there are a few people in the company who understand how bad the script is and that it will be a disaster the likes of which the company has never seen. We're talking a "CUTTHROAT ISLAND" sized bomb.

The Aint It Cool News review is 100% correct.

By the way, the studio heads, many of them have never seen the Donner film and do not know ANYTHING about the origins of SUPERMAN, which explains why they loved the Luthor is an alien concept.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
09-28-2002, 04:03 AM
I just heard on Conan that Olsen is supposed to be homosexual in this. Now I've seen Superman 1&2, but no others. Has Jimmy been homosexual all along? Or is this Warners decision? :confused:

wedgeA
09-28-2002, 04:38 AM
mini-rock,

Jimmy Olsen being *** was an idea of Jon Peters.

I read the review and I must that this project is one big pile. What irks me is that the powers that be at the WB is engaging in what is essentially a pimping of a beloved cultural icon, simply to make a quick buck. This is not like Frank Miller's Dark Knight or Byrne's Man of Steel or Donner's movie, which were updates which repescted their origins. Donner's film was the first movie I ever sat through end to end (on HBO) as a kid, and it started a lifelong love of comics and film. To think that this will attempt to take its' place is a disgrace.

EDIT: The autocensor tabbed the G word, not the other derogatory three letter word. Sorry

mini-rock
09-29-2002, 01:50 AM
Thanks wedgeA. Like I said before in Superman 1&2 he didn't seem ***. I do not understand the reasoning behind WB's decision to do this. So whats next? Supermans mexican? :rolleyes:

JON9000
10-01-2002, 09:54 PM
Superman cannot be of mexican origin- he's from Krypton, he must be of Kryptonian origin. It was kind of funny how everyone on Krypton was a white boy. I see another Hooper X rant in an upcoming Kevin Smith movie on the horizon!

derek
10-01-2002, 11:13 PM
check out "ain't it cool" for an interview with the script writer of the new superman movie. i would of linked to that conversation, but there is questionable language in the interview, so just scroll down about mid page.:)

basically, the writer said the script is still in the "re-write phase".:)

RooJay
10-03-2002, 02:58 PM
If Jimmy Olsen is going to be ***, and Lex Luthor from Krypton, and Krypton is not going to have exploded, etcetera, etcetera, then why can't Superman be hispanic? What would stop them from doing that? I hear Benjamin Bratt's pretty popular right now. He's name talent, but still enough of an unknown. The studios are dying to get him into a breakout role. Why not Benjamin Bratt as Superman? They might as well go balls out.

...I'm kidding of course. Seriously though, what's to stop them?

mini-rock
10-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Or since Anthony Hopkins wil be Sups father why not team him & Antonio Banderas up again?

Does the Salkind family still own the rights to Superman or WB?

If I remember correctly the Salkind's had a fit when WB released the Superman DVD's with deleted footage. Could it be possible that WB is going a different route with Superman for this reason? :)

thespar
10-03-2002, 04:24 PM
and who is make this new superman movie i hope it is not warner brothers or they will be killing everything that they made out of superman.

The Overlord Returns
10-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by thespar
and who is make this new superman movie i hope it is not warner brothers or they will be killing everything that they made out of superman.

considering warner brothers owns dc, which owns %50 of the Superman property........its Warner Brothers.

thespar
10-03-2002, 05:31 PM
then who the head man in scripting needs to read at least one superman comic.

The Overlord Returns
10-04-2002, 09:16 AM
actually, to hear the script writer talk, it's clear he's quite well versed in the Superman comic history.

Beast
02-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Well, so far the script seems to be undergoing some changes. Apperantly the utterly stupid idea that Lex Luthor would be an CIA Agent/Kryptonian is gone. But it's still a terrible change, because now read what they did.

Lex Luthor isnít a CIA agent anymore, he is a failed businessman who becomes possessed by the spirit of a dead Kryptonian resulting in him becoming a super-genius!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
02-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Welll...the businessman part sounds okay. Maybe they should just keep that part and run with it.:rolleyes:

RooJay
02-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Makes me wonder why they don't just make Brainiac the villain and leave Lex out of it - that's basically Brainiac's origin in current continuity (just substitute Coluan for Kryptonian...).:rolleyes:

These guys are never gonna get it right! That's why it seems like they'll never get the project off the ground.

scruffziller
02-11-2003, 04:14 PM
I heard a rumor that the Joe Millionaire guy is going to play Superman.

scruffziller
02-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Now the rumor is that Josh Hartnett is most likely going to be Superman.:frus: He looks nothing like the S.
Plus the Superman VS Batman idea is scrapped due to sympathy for Chris Reeve after his son did a documentary of his dad.

RooJay
02-24-2003, 12:08 PM
What is it about Superman Vs. Batman that would cause them to scrap the project out of sympathy for Chris Reeve, but not the Superman solo project? I don't understand.

derek
02-24-2003, 03:05 PM
yea, i heard the director for S. vs. B. decided to do another film instead, and that the WB wanted to re-develop each franchise independent of each other. where sympathy for chris reeve fits in i don't know.:)

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Here is the reason.

Christopher Reeve says producer Jon Peters scrapped the original Man of Steel vs. Caped Crusader script idea after seeing Reeves's son Matthew's documentary, Christopher Reeve: Courageous Steps. "The positive message of that made him [think], 'Why should we have two superheroes against each other?'" Reeve says. "So the movie that Warner Bros. is making now ó which I will be doing some consulting on ó will be a much more uplifting and spiritual story. I was really blown away that they completely decided to change the process." (TV Guide Online)

James Boba Fettfield
03-05-2003, 05:16 AM
That ought to get Christopher Walken to play Superman. I mean, the guy already knows how to fly, I saw him do it in that Fat Boy Slim video "Weapon of Choice."

scruffziller
03-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Well Christopher Walken is going to play Perry White.
Jaime Kennedy in talks for Jimmy Olsen. Ralph Fiennes is going to play Jor-El and Anthony Hopkins to play Lex.

QLD
03-20-2003, 09:53 AM
That sounds way to star-packed, and would be destined to suck.

derek
03-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
That sounds way to star-packed, and would be destined to suck.

i've heard the budget for this one film is well over $200 million!:eek:

Rogue II
03-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by derek
i've heard the budget for this one film is well over $200 million!:eek:

I'm sure it will be Waterworld good.

RooJay
03-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Well Christopher Walken is going to play Perry White.
Jaime Kennedy in talks for Jimmy Olsen. Ralph Fiennes is going to play Jor-El and Anthony Hopkins to play Lex.

Actually, Anthony Hopkins is the only person contracted for this film so far, and he has been signed and confirmed for the role of Jor-El. This is the first I've heard of these other actors' involvement OR prospective involvement in the project.

scruffziller
03-20-2003, 01:35 PM
This is the official report.

03/19/03
More casting rumors: Director Brett Ratner recently told MTV that he'd like Christopher Walken to play Perry White, the Daily Planet newspaper editor. He also apparently wants Anthony Hopkins to play Lex Luthor and Ralph Fiennes to play Superman's father, Jor-El. No news on who will play the Man of Steel, but it looks like Matthew Bomer may still be in the running. (MTV, ComingSoon.net)

QLD
03-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Here is more news for you......

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=14771

derek
03-20-2003, 05:30 PM
i'm not suprised ratner is out. from what i've read, he and peters don't get along at all. i have no faith this movie will be any good.:cry:

QLD
03-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Yes, this movie is destined to be horrible when/if it ever comes out.

RooJay
03-20-2003, 06:37 PM
One Brett Ratner down...one Jon Peters to go!;)

2-1B
06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
i just read that brett ratner(rush hour, red dragon) has been signed to direct the new superman movie, scheduled for release in 2004. he said it will be a re-telling of superman's origins, and anthony hopkins may play Jor-El. he said no one has yet been cast to play superman, but they are looking for an actor under 25.
j.j. abrams, the creator of "alias" has written the script.

While I think Brett Ratner would be AWESOME for Superman, I think I'd rather see him take a stab at an X-Men film in 2004. :)

J.J. Abrams would be great for the rejuvenated Supes franchise and it would be a dream come true for me if he would get a shot to revitalize Mission: Impossible. Of course, the odds on that are long. :(