PDA

View Full Version : Brian's Toys Cantina Sets

stillakid
09-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Wow! Not only do they blatantly offer something that they so obviously "steal" from Walmart shelves (unless they have a "foreign" distributor, but even so...), check out these prices...

Saga Cantina Scene Greedo Price: $17.99
Saga Cantina Scene Hammerhead Price: $17.99
Saga Cantina Scene Ponda Baba Price: $17.99

I understand that they are "providing" a "service" to those individuals who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to obtain certain collectables, but Haysuess Christos, talk about a markup! You couldn't do that well in the stockmarket, even when it was at it's best. I mean, I can sort of understand a profit margin on a vintage collectable, but this stuff is still warm from the mold.

How do y'all feel about such a) blatant "stealing" of exclusives off shelves, and b) significant markups of brand new items?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Wow! Not only do they blatantly offer something that they so obviously "steal" from Walmart shelves (unless they have a "foreign" distributor, but even so...), check out these prices...

I understand that they are "providing" a "service" to those individuals who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to obtain certain collectables, but Haysuess Christos, talk about a markup! You couldn't do that well in the stockmarket, even when it was at it's best. I mean, I can sort of understand a profit margin on a vintage collectable, but this stuff is still warm from the mold.

How do y'all feel about such a) blatant "stealing" of exclusives off shelves, and b) significant markups of brand new items?

Wow, they are marking it up almost 100% up from the retail price. From what I've heard about Brain's Toys, they are the one SW place that extracts the most flesh and blood from customers as far as money is concerned.

That's why I don't shop online or use E-Bay. I even hate paying inflated retail prices like those found at Ames and Kay-Bee sometimes. When I get a decent paying job, maybe then I will have to resort to these places, but as for now, 'I's gots to eat--don't I?'

That's why I like the trade section on the forums. You can find most of what you are looking for (even some rare/htf ones) in the buying/selling or trading section of these forums.

2-1B
09-21-2002, 09:49 PM
stillakid - how do I feel about it?
I feel they should come to my local Wal-Mart and clear a few more of these pegwarmers out of my way ! :D

Seriously though, I'm surprised one of the three sets isn't marked up a few dollars more than the others to give the impression of scarcity . . .

Beast
09-21-2002, 09:55 PM
*Runs off giggling to E-Mail Brian's Toys* :evil:

Wow, the Greedo set is only $17.99. Didn't you guys know that he's shortpacked at only 2 per case and the others are 3 per case. He's really rare. I feel like I totally ripped you guys off with the deal I got. :D

*Wonders how long after getting that E-Mail, that they raise the price.* :greedy: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ChemOx
09-21-2002, 10:52 PM
I have always thought that Brian's Toys prices have been ridiculous......but obviously people out there are paying it, or they would continue to be so high. If I absolutely have to use the internet to get figures, I usually go through Yestertoys.....they are reasonably priced.

Rogue II
09-21-2002, 10:55 PM
It wasn't just the Cantina Sets that were overpriced, check out the price on the Landspeeder, Watto, and Lott Dodd!

from Brian's Toys Fastest News Letter #169
3 3/4" Carded Figures:

Lott Dodd Price $13.99
Watto Price $13.99

Saga Unleashed Darth Tyranus Price: $24.99
Saga Unleashed Mace Windu Price: $24.99

Saga Vehicles Landspeeder Price: $34.99

Vintage Loose Darth Vader Telescoping Saber
Figure is C-9 Telescoping Saber is C-8.5
Price: $2,495.99

bigbarada
09-21-2002, 10:58 PM
I use Brian's Toys to pick up vintage or old POTF2 figures, but I have learned to avoid them when buying new stuff. I know that they get their initial shipments directly from China (or wherever), so that is why they seem to have everything so early, usually.

Although I will have a hard time controlling myself when Ephant Mon is released.:)

metaljedi
09-21-2002, 11:20 PM
It;s bad when they already have the TRU Silver R2-D@ and charging OUTRAGEOUS scalper prices for it.

Amanamike
09-21-2002, 11:48 PM
I always stick to Yestertoys as well. Brians is way over priced. I usually look at that as more a very very last resort, like if no one else in the world has any figures left.

Sidiously Darth
09-22-2002, 12:32 AM
This is really nothing new. Brian's "Overpriced" Toys has been a topic of discussion many times here. I won't buy anything new from them. I even boycotted Yestertoys after they started selling Sacul figures. If I can't find it at a store or with help from a friend, I just won't buy it.

Sinister Lord
09-22-2002, 10:19 AM
Those prices are ridiculous. These figures are overpriced already, and they are pegwarmers! Just wait a few weeks or months, I'm guessing they will all go on sale for 5 bucks a piece or less.

Keep in mind that these figures (Greedo, Hammerhead, and Ponda Baba) were all pegwarmers in the POTF2 line too. They were easy to obtain then, and they are easy to obtain now. There is no reason to pay a lot of money for them.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2002, 10:44 AM
Save yourself the trouble... and get the two readily available cantina sets and buy a CT Greedo. That one's got the chip AND a blaster. MUCH better deal than the Cantina set.

Jayspawn
09-22-2002, 11:10 AM
I have found that Brain's Toys has some pretty good deals on very rare occasions. I don't Ebay is bad at all. I've found all kinds of figures for some fantastic prices (I'm a good looker though).

BTW Caesar, love your avatar. He should be a figure! HAHA!

JangoFart
09-22-2002, 01:05 PM
The age-old "how much of a screwin' would you let Brian give you" question, eh?

Yestertoys and KebCo are the only advertisers here which I have used and would use again. The others must hit the crack pipe and then run to the PC to post the prices. Just completely outrageous.

J

Thunderstorm1
09-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Has anyone ever ordered from Power Collectibles. I placed and order on 08/26 and have yet to receive it. They have not charged my credit card though. Anyone had any good or bad luck with them?

thespar
09-22-2002, 09:53 PM
i have used brain toys to by alot of my potf 2 figures have bought any es 1, potj or saga form them.

Old Fossil
09-23-2002, 10:33 PM
In my experience, Yestertoys has the most reasonable prices and fastest shipping, and pack their merchandise with attention to detail. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anybody.

OC47150
09-24-2002, 03:21 PM
The cantina sets are plentiful at WMs in my area. And I can wait for the new figures to show up for $5.

mark2d2
09-24-2002, 04:36 PM
I've also had ONLY good experiences with Yestertoys. And their prices tend to run only a dollar or two above retail. (minus shipping. But I'd easily blow way more on gas here in LA...)

jjreason
09-25-2002, 12:23 AM
KebCo worked for me. They had a 3.99 Saga sale last month and I got 12 figures and they took less than 2 weeks to get here. Super.

Brian's seems crazy, but it must be working. Some people just can't wait that last week for new stuff to get here, I guess.

Darth Maul
09-25-2002, 03:28 PM
I never bought any Star Wars stuff or other stuff from Brian's toys and I don't think about buying from its store in the near future. Maybe if it lowers its ridiculous high prices I will but for the time being, no.....:mad:

Now Brian's Toys is charging **$30** per Star Tours figures. Whatever they're smoking, I want some of it!
Rogue II
10-07-2002, 09:00 PM
The thing is...people must be buying from Brian's Toys, otherwise, he would have had to lowered his prices.

If people are dumb enough to pay those prices for the toys, more power to Brian. Long live capitalism.

thespar
10-07-2002, 10:09 PM
it all comes down to the law of supply and demand. Brain's toys will lower their price if the customer start going else. i was looking at their new catolog and it looked liked they where planing on selling the shuttle for 149.50.