PDA

View Full Version : Delete this post. Thanks.

Battle Droid
09-21-2002, 10:33 PM
Nothing to see here.

Beast
09-21-2002, 10:39 PM
He's selling them for just over retail, actually less depending on your state tax. So I wouldn't consider him a real scalper. Actually he's doing a pretty nice thing for the people that can't find them in the stores. Besides, how do you know he doesn't have a Hasbro account and is selling them on Ebay at retail?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
09-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Yeah maybe, but after you pay that $10.00 shipping it isn't retail.

And I thought TRU's shipping was high.

stad
09-21-2002, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I would have to agree, he's not making any money on these unless he has a wholesale account. It's difficult to call it scalping when there's no profit being made (or if it is, just the normal retail mark-up) and these are sitting on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart for the past week, one out of four still left after 8 days.

stad
09-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid

Yeah maybe, but after you pay that $10.00 shipping it isn't retail.

And I thought TRU's shipping was high.

That's about what it will cost to ship it via USPS Priority Mail or UPS. Who's making money on the shipping, besides the Post Office?

Battle Droid
09-21-2002, 11:09 PM
You can get it in the stores though.

Beast
09-21-2002, 11:15 PM
Not everywhere Battle Droid, my local Wal-Mart doesn't have them yet. And some small town Wal-Mart's may only get a case or two. And remeber that alot of people, including Tycho ordered theirs from Wal-Mart on-line. If I recall correctly, Tycho said he spent $14.00 (or more) shipping on the 4 he bought. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
09-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Ok, I made a mistake at thinking he was a scalper, I'll admit it. I was just assuming, since he had so many. :)

stad
09-21-2002, 11:18 PM
Exactly, how can it be scalping if you can buy it from him for the same price as they sell it in the stores, AND they are still in the stores (at least, where available). But you can't expect him to eat the cost of shipping when he's not selling at a profit anyways!

Oops, you beat me with the response!!

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by stad
Exactly, how can it be scalping if you can buy it from him for the same price as they sell it in the stores, AND they are still in the stores (at least, where available). But you can't expect him to eat the cost of shipping when he's not selling at a profit anyways!

Oops, you beat me with the response!! OK to Battle Droids defence, I think it was do to the fact that the A__ H___ Ebay seller has 12 Gunships. If the auction was not over at the time he posted, how would anyone know how much it would go for? $42 LOL, that's what I paid with tax!(Great ship BTW) If the seller bought all of them at a retail store, all he did was waste his time. In fact, he's going to be wasting more time driving to the post office. I LOL at him. Thats my 2 cents

stad
09-22-2002, 02:10 AM
The auction was over when he posted.

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by stad
The auction was over when he posted. Man, you are just full of info tonight! LOL;) Ok well if the sellers intention was to scalp, he failed.

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 02:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1768817455

Look at that stack of Gunship's! :eek: :eek: :eek: BD don't ask for this thread to be deleted. It shows that scalpers (if the seller is a scalper) don't always make money.

Battle Droid
09-22-2002, 02:27 AM
I don't want it to turn into an arguement.

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 02:31 AM
I don't want it to turn into an arguement. It wont be an arguement, it makes a great point. I hate scalpers. Mods, don't remove!!!!!!;)

Battle Droid
09-22-2002, 02:34 AM
He's not a scalper though.

bigbarada
09-22-2002, 02:54 AM
If he was a scalper, he probably would have set a $100 reserve on each ship. I don't believe he is either, Battle Droid.

Darth Cruel
09-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Why are we defending these people now? This guy is obviously dishonest at best with this misleading description...

"The pictures speak for themselves! You are bidding on the EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND Star Wars Episode 2 Republic Gunship. These pieces are packed two-per-case and certain reports say that each store will only receive one case to sell. Here's a chance for you to snag one of these RARE Star Wars collectables and not have to drive all over your town looking for it. Each piece is in MINT CONDITION. Buyer agrees to pay $10.00 shipping in addition to the final auction price. Insurance is negotiable upon completion of auction. I only accept PayPal and USPS money orders. This is only a 3-day auction, so if you want it hop on it!!! Use the "Buy it Now" to secure one of these pieces IMMEDIATELY!!!! Good Luck!"

Come on...one case per store? Even if he did read or hear a report like this it is stupid to believe it and a slap in the face to bidders for him to make that statement to them. It is an insult to their intelligence. AND I will bet (I haven't checked yet but I will) that it does not cost him 10.00 to ship it.

As for doing people a favor...I don't know the guy, but when I do people a favor by getting them a Star Wars item they cannot get...I go buy it and ship it to them (when they ask) for the exact amount of retail cost and shipping IF I even decide to make them pay at all which I have not yet. I gave a bunch of hard-to-find stuff to a local collector buddy, drove a Y-Wing 40 miles to another fellow collector, sent a Skiff to yet another collector here in the states, sent (I think it was) a Y-Wing to Canada, and sent a 12" Scout trooper/Speeder Bike to Belgium and have yet to make someone pay a penny for any of it. I know I am blowing my own horn, but my intention is just to give you MY opinion of what it is to help fellow collectors.

My own opinion is that if you are not a direct retailer and you are running a business selling stuff for UNREASONABLY inflated prices...you are a scalper. And if you are misleading people in order to get more money for an item...it doesn't prove scalping, but it certainly points in that direction.

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Why are we defending these people now? This guy is obviously dishonest at best with this misleading description...
I totaly agree
"The pictures speak for themselves! You are bidding on the EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND Star Wars Episode 2 Republic Gunship. These pieces are packed two-per-case and certain reports say that each store will only receive one case to sell. Here's a chance for you to snag one of these RARE Star Wars collectables and not have to drive all over your town looking for it. Each piece is in MINT CONDITION. Buyer agrees to pay $10.00 shipping in addition to the final auction price. Insurance is negotiable upon completion of auction. I only accept PayPal and USPS money orders. This is only a 3-day auction, so if you want it hop on it!!! Use the "Buy it Now" to secure one of these pieces IMMEDIATELY!!!! Good Luck!"

Come on...one case per store? Even if he did read or hear a report like this it is stupid to believe it and a slap in the face to bidders for him to make that statement to them. It is an insult to their intelligence. AND I will bet (I haven't checked yet but I will) that it does not cost him 10.00 to ship it.

As for doing people a favor...I don't know the guy, but when I do people a favor by getting them a Star Wars item they cannot get...I go buy it and ship it to them (when they ask) for the exact amount of retail cost and shipping IF I even decide to make them pay at all which I have not yet. I gave a bunch of hard-to-find stuff to a local collector buddy, drove a Y-Wing 40 miles to another fellow collector, sent a Skiff to yet another collector here in the states, sent (I think it was) a Y-Wing to Canada, and sent a 12" Scout trooper/Speeder Bike to Belgium and have yet to make someone pay a penny for any of it. I know I am blowing my own horn, but my intention is just to give you MY opinion of what it is to help fellow collectors.

My own opinion is that if you are not a direct retailer and you are running a business selling stuff for UNREASONABLY inflated prices...you are a scalper. And if you are misleading people in order to get more money for an item...it doesn't prove scalping, but it certainly points in that direction. In no way is this guy helping the problem. If he bought all 12 ships from a retail store, he took away the chance for 12 collectors to get one in that area. Who knew that it would only go for $42, if the auction went for a full week, if wold have gone for more. The seller is just testing the water so to speak. I have bought may errors and varitions on e-bay, only because it's the best place for them, I know what goes on there. Sometimes you get a deal and others you get burned. It's your own fault if you buy on e-bay.

stad
09-22-2002, 04:02 PM
I would have to say that I don't think he is a scalper either. If he is, he is a rather foolish one with good connections, as he is not making any money. If he bought those at retail, he lost money, after tax and eBay seller fees. If he is buying wholesale, and selling for about the same as retail, this does not make him a scalper. I won't comment or defend his statements to help sell his item, though.
As for the shipping, for an item of that size and weight, USPS Priority shipping will be about $10, depending where it has to be shipped to. If you want to ship it otherwise, it will be cheaper, but it evens out after you buy boxes and wrapping (Priority Mail boxes are free), so he is still not making a profit on shipping either. I just think people should check their facts before labeling everyone that sells something new online as a scalper.