PDA

View Full Version : State of the "Saga" line....and hopes for the future

jedibear
09-22-2002, 01:50 AM
Well, we're coming up on the last quarter for the year....the last of the single-carded figures should be here by the holiday season, all the retailers who are getting exclusives either have them or they soon will, and the last of the big-ticket items are arriving.

Looking back over the year, we had the expected push for a new film, the introduction of the "unified" line, and more endless debates as to the direction the line took this year....

My thoughts:

While I like the idea of a unified line, it would have been nice to see more classic characters get good new highly-detailed versions. While the Bespin Luke & Vader were great (& the new Chewie was alright), sadly MIA were Leia, the droids & more cantina or Jabba denizens. One thing we DON'T need soon (and it looks like we're getting it anyway) is ANOTHER Han Solo! Gack! We've got enough already! The ole smuggler is the biggest pegwarmer around here since Porkins....

The "extreme"pose debate sure raged over the summer....my feelings are still the same....it works for some characters but not for others. It's still aggravating that we haven't seen cloaked versions of the lead characters yet, but perhaps next year....

The "action" features.....ugh! I know Hasbro wants to keep these "kid-friendly" (they are toys after all), but I'm with those who think the gimmicks should stick with just the deluxe figures...the regular assortments should stick to the highly-detailed, well-accessorized basics. We STILL have yet to see a basic, decently sculpted gimmick-free version of Anakin yet...and considering he's the lead character, that's kinda sad.

On the news of including stands with the figures.....I say an emphatic "YES!" I don't care if they are scene specific or not (although I like those better)....some of the more extreme-posed figures (and even some of the more casual-stanced ones) have a hard time standing. I'd rather see stands than some of these over-sized accessories that the figures have been sporting of late.

I will give Hasbro a nod for trying to kick up the variety in the assortments with this line....they seem to be pulling older figures out a little quicker than they did with Epsiode One...until lately, it hasn't been that hard keeping up with the releases.

The Action Collection....
I already stated my beefs in a thread over in the 12" section so I'll be brief: Loose the limp too-much-window packaging for something sturdy and give the Jedi figures their cloaks! The RealScan is a great success for accuracy, but don't skimp on the basics here.....the "Ultimate" Jango was nice (if not overpriced), but give us the value with the regular figures too.

Okay....I'll catch my breath here & see if anyone else wants to add some end-of-the-season viewpoints on the saga collection...

bigbarada
09-22-2002, 03:01 AM
Well, if anything, 2002 has seen the return of the Star Wars vehicle toy. We got 6 all-new vehicles this year and they are easily some of the best Star Wars vehicles ever made.

There is the matter of not having figures that fit into the vehicles, namely the Coruscant speeders; but I have covered that enough.:)

Beast
09-22-2002, 04:23 AM
Leia needs some attention in 2003, but I don't mind her absense in 2002. Having both her and Padme in the line, would have put to many female figures out there. Boys aren't all that intrested in female figures, best to save her for 2003. I'm sure we'll get some version of her next year.

The droids I can understand skipping, because we got AOTC's versions of C-3PO and R2-D2. We have the holiday droids 2-pack, and we have another AOTC's R2-D2 on the way for 2003, and then I want to see a classic C-3PO and R2-D2. Ewok Diety C-3PO and Jabba's Bartender R2-D2 are sorely needed. Hopefully in late 2003 or early 2004.

The 2003 Han Solo is going to be a Hoth version, a version that is sorely needed in the re-sculpt arena. The problem with the Saga Han, was he wasn't different enough from those that came before him. The Hoth Chewie should be a nice re-sculpt as well, since the POTF2 version is to short. Re-sculpts are rumored for the Luke: Jedi and Darth Vader: Removable Helmet. Both those figures also need a new more correct version. Especially the Vader, since the POTF2 figure is way to short. :)

I agree, the posed figures work for some and not for others. Good posted figures are like Luminara, a really bad example is the Jar Jar Binks. That needs rectified in a re-sculpt so that he doesn't look like he's going to pummle Palpy and Orn Free Taa. :)

I'm the part of the minority that likes the gimmicks. There are some that I want to smack Hasbro in the head for implementing wrong though. Padme: Arena and Anakin: Outland Peasent are examples of bad gimmicks im my eyes. The saber swinging and quickdraws as long as they are done like Zam's or Han's, then they are pretty cool. :)

The stands included with some of next years figures are cool. I really wish that Hasbro would include any kind of stand with the new figures. I hate trying to track down someplace that has figure stands in stock. The fan club gets a few in and are sold out for ages. So I'm all for stands. :)

I'm hoping that we do get more Classic figures next year, but I want to see quite a few more E2 figures be the feature for next year. As I said before, Classic has been churning out figures since 1995, and there are a heck of alot more figures for Classic then there is for E2 and even E1. Focus on the prequels, and then secondarily focus on Jabba's Palace especially for new figures. A couple ESB re-sculpts are in order as well. Like Lobot, Dengar, and a new Princess Leia: Bespin Gown. :)

Not much to say about the 12" Line. It's good sometimes and I feel the need to collect them. Then other times they are horrible. The 12" line seems to have more hits and misses then the 4" line ever did. I would like seeing some of the 4" sculptors maybe working with the people that do 12". Maybe they can get the sculpts and scale a little more accurate. I need a 12" Jar Jar: Senator figure as well. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
09-22-2002, 08:06 AM
In short, The extreme and limiting poses work fine for something like the unleashed line but not for action figures. They should be articulated in such a way that they can be poesed by the consumer the way hasbro releases them or not. It's the choice that is missing from the equation here.

The gimmicks, magnets in hands are ok, quickdraw features don't really work too well and neither do leg kicking actions. If the gimmick means a loss of articulation in the figure then I say lose the gimmick.

Cloth sculpted as blowing around in a gale is bad because it means a figure won't be useful in other areas of play or fit in vehicles. Cloth sculpting is getting really good and nicely detailed but stilll and hanging is preferable to winwhipped in my eyes.

Accessories I love. This year has churned out some really nice accessories. Large items. Hasbro shouldn't stop now, they should go nuts on the accessories so we get more stuff from the entire SAGA to help flesh out the scenmes we might want to recreate, more cargo crates, big guns, some larger stuff like the vehicle maintenance energiser redone would be nice to see.

Deluxe figures have been very hit and miss and sometimes I've wondered if hasbro actually knows the meaning of the word deluxe . The Nexu was the pinnacle of the deluxe figures for me. The worst was the removable armour Jango and the force flipping figures. Stick with larger accessories with better detail and really make them deluxe. Make the figures worth buying not just some rehash Hasbro 'think' kids will buy. It's the lack of detail and authenticity in these packs so far that means they've been pegwarming badly. Not even the kids want the force flipping stuff.

The vehicles are the shining glory of the SAGA line but I'd like to see more small speeders in the whole line not just from AOTC. There are literally tons of speeders in star wars and many are just begging to be made and sold in just the same way as the coruscant speeders. But there's speeders small enough to pack in with a figure as a deluxe like the Yavin base rebel troop transport, or the Tatooine swoop from ANH.
Vehicles are great but they don't necessarily need so many missiles, plenty of detail and a large enough cockpit are mostly what is required.

Playsets still look bad. I really think it's time hasbro got with the programme and went the sectional route. make better detailed environments in several pieces that can be put together to form a larger one. release these pieces in waves over the course of the year so everyone gets a chance to find them. Over one year it would be possible to build a large Death star playset without it crippling us financially as one large outlay on one large item. Spread the cost over the year and it's more achievable. By releasing in small sections it means each section can have more detail and attention lavished on the creation.
That's what i hope for the future.

Out of all the stuff released this year I don't think there's much I've had difficulty finding apart from the exclusive to America stuff. My other hope for the future is that these exclusives are also made available across the globe somehow. America only exclusives coupled with that taunt on the packaging 'collect them all' makes Hasbro sound vindictive and sadistic. get the stuff overseas too because the market here is bigger than you think.

Stands with all figures is a great idea so why not take the one that packed with Watto, remove the post hole and replace it with two pegs. Pack that in with every figure and the problem is solved. That can't even cost a fraction of a penny to produce so it is commercially viable to ppack it in. Plus it makes perfect sense to do so.
That's another hope for the future.

My last one is that I really hope to see more beasts next year, Dianoga, Aiwha, Orray, Wampa, Jerba, Dewback resculpt, Bantha w/calf... If hasbro make them and I'll buy them in bucketloads. The beasts from AOTC have so far been great. I love the Reek and the Acklay looks most impressive despite his articulation problems and weight. Just Hope big H don't get lazy and really go hell for leather with the beasts. The dianoga and Wampa can continue the attack beast line. Others are beasts of burden but also, there's a place for smaller critters as pack-ins. I'm still hoping for a scurrier rodent pack in somewhere down the line. Not to mention the dwarf Nuna.

Sinister Lord
09-22-2002, 12:10 PM
There are basically three main things that bug me about the Saga line.

First is all the RESCULPTS.... this is the worst situation right now, the utter redundancy of having so many versions of the same characters, with very little variation between them. They should be doing more new characters and vehicles, not rehashing the same old thing over and over again.

Next is the size of the bubble on the package... I hate it, it's just too big and it makes storage a problem if you buy a lot of figures and keep them in the packages. In my opinion, they should return to a smaller bubble design.

Last is the issue of the 12" females... terrible, terrible, terrible. Hasbro is messing these up big time. They are glorified Barbie dolls, not action figures. They should be using the Hasbro "GI Jane" body for these, and get the scale on the head right. Star Wars toys are primarily made for boys, not girls. Having good head sculpts, more articulation and hands that grip are important factors that need to be addressed. This is a problem that had been around even before the Saga line, and it still needs to be dealt with.

This is just my opinion, but if Hasbro fixed these three things alone, I think the Saga line would be a triumph, instead of a mediocrity.

JangoFart
09-22-2002, 03:09 PM
I'll surely agree that the heads on the female 12 inchers are just horrible. They look like pumpkins on toothpicks! However, these are the exceptions and, thankfully, not the rule.

All and all, I think the Saga line has been fantastic! The detail and, mostly, proportion have been right on the money. The Deluxes have, for the most part, been lame IMO. I dig the Yoda and the 3PO, but the flipping dudes look horrible and they couldn't have made a worse deluxe Jango if their blueprints were titled "The Worst Deluxe Jango We Can Make".

I like that we were treated with 2 versions of the Endor Rebel - as we were with the POTJ Scouts. That was a nice bonus.

My MAIN gripe in the whole Hasbro Star Wars scene - distribution! Hasbro learned nothing from the marketing disaster known as Episode 1. They FLOODED the stores with TONS of Jar Jar's (no offense, Binks) and 3PO's and you couldn't find a Yoda or a Dooku to save you life. Since these stores are now loaded with tons of pegwarmers, they are hesitant to buy the necessary quanity of newer releases for fear the same nobodys who are lining up to buy the existing pegwarmers will line up to buy the new figures. I have yet to see a Maul or Anakin TA on the pegs - let alone a Padme or Clone Pilot.

So, overall I'd say it was a great year to be a SW nerd! However, Hasbro needs to learn from their own mistakes and make this hobby one that can be fulfilling without having to resort to folks like Brian's Toys or other scalpers.

J

JangoFart
09-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah, good post, Jargo. I agree 100%.

J

Turbowars
09-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Without writing short story, my only hopes are to receive more Classics and for the line to get back to the basics.

Beast
09-22-2002, 05:29 PM
The lack of Yoda and Dooku in the stores isn't Hasbro's fault though, since they are still shipping both figures even now. The latest case had another 2 Yoda's and 1 Dooku. Hasbro is trying to meet the need, but the problem is that Yoda is still a hot figure with scalpers. I would suggest that if your missing either figure to try and order online. I'm sure they are avaliable for a decent price somewhere online, like YesterToys, PAF, or even TRU.com. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Count Dooku
09-22-2002, 07:05 PM
I would overall have to say the Saga line is better than good, but not really great. They have made some cool figures like Orn Free Taa, Taun We, the Bespin figures, and most of the female Jedi are awesome. But I don't want to see another Jango Fett ever again. Making 3 before making 1 kinda of bothers me. Any 1 will do, just look at all the petition threads. Second, stop with the gimmicks on the standard 3-3/4 line. Someone earlier said it best, stick these gimmicks on the deluxe figures and keep the bread and butter of this line with normal features and great accessories. The new Mace figure is an absolute joke. Who is going to want to display that anywhere with what looks to be a dagger sticking out of his back. Brutal. Thirdly and lastly, I don't really like the big bubble packaging, although I think it is too late to switch, I prefer the smaller bubble like on the previous lines. Overall I'm satisfied, but not completely.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-22-2002, 10:18 PM
I am pleased with the quality of most of the figures and their articulation from the Saga line, but it seems that Hasbro has not learned some important lessons from the Episode I toy debacle. Namely, that resculpts are poor sellers. Case in point, the three Jango Fetts that we mentioned already. Since Hasbro is gearing the line towards kids, do you think that a kid is going to want another two different Jango Fetts once he gets one of them? Do you think his mother might say, 'not him honey, we already bought one remember?' I remember the all the Anakin, Maul, Kenobi, and Jinn rescultps from the Episode I line and how much of them pegwarmed. Plus the rehashing of characters that have produced many times over, like Han and Chewie. Chewie is an excellent figure, but is easily obtainable because many people chose not to get him due to the fact so many of him have been put out. On the other hand obscure characters who are barely in the picture, like Djas Puhr, have sold rather well.

Pricewise this line is great. It's the cheapest I ever paid for a figure.

It's the pegwarming that is bumming me. I haven't seen a new figure since #40, and it has been over two months. Stores don't want to get burned anymore, so it seems they are ordering less and less of the next waves. Too bad, because it is their fault for ordering so darn much and Hasbro's as well for way over distributing.

JangoFart
09-22-2002, 10:25 PM
The bit regarding scalpers is true to a degree, JarJar. But, I know the toy dept. manager at the Wal-Mart here and he tells me he has a couple of cases of newer shipment figures in the back, but the store manager won't let him put that stock out until they move some of their existing pegwarmers.

That was the main point of that portion of my post. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that the main bad dude and a main good dude are going to be hotter than Padme's head of security. It SHOULDN'T take a total meltdown ala Jedi Duel Maul to make SOMEONE at Hasbro question the wisdom of the whole "2 to a pack" scenario.

I've gotten all of the newer ones via online retailers (except the Ephant - I'll wait until the buzz wears off from the crack the sellers are smoking and they list a different price). However, I guess my main point in posting that portion re: distribution is that I should not HAVE to buy online. And, with some proper forethought and planning on the part of Hasbro, things could have been VERY different than they are now.

I'm not suggesting that Hasbro has a magic wand that could have fixed the situation. But, things could have easily been much different. (For example, the "George learned his lesson from EP1. Buy TONS of EP2 crap!" memo that went out. They should have reigned that crap in a bit and been more realistic on what to ship to retailers.)

J

Tycho
09-23-2002, 05:13 AM
A lot to discuss.

The vehicles were the highlight of it all! I just love the new ships.

The classic vehicles for the modern collection have trickled out over the years, so we never got assortments of movie ships all together (save for possibly ANH when the line came back in 1995)

We got the Landspeeder, Millennium Falcon, X-wing, and TIE Fighter all together.

Snowspeeders were not released to coincide when AT-AT's were first made available, and the TIE Bomber was way too long in coming, though it's sweet that it's here.

For "Jedi," the Tyderium has not yet even arrived, nor happened at the time when the AT-ST, Skiff, B-wing, A-wing, and speederbikes were all marketed.

Coupled together, vehicles from the same movie should be awesome.

Episode One was kind of a let down:

The Royal Starship was a highlight to be sure, but the AAT Tank is a very cool toy and came a year later (in a very dead year, too). The N-1 was fine, but it's best opponent were the pretty weak Droid Fighters that only required a little harder plastic to make them more worthwhile. The Stap and Sith speeder were cool, but very light vehicles. More Podracers would have been nice, had they continued, all with action features. But the Sith Infiltrator and Gungan Submarine, as well as the MTT could all have made E1 a more inspired vehicle year. Even Nute Gunray's barely seen ship would've been nice. It didn't happen.

Episode Two delivers though: You have a great Slave-One with the Republic Gunship, Jedi Starfighter, and 2 cool airspeeders with perhaps some trouble holding figures, but great crash-features! The E2 assortment coming as a group just rocked better than any other year for vehicles in a single-movie group. Add to that the TIE Bomber debuting this year, and it's settled!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Twelve Inch seeing the completion of the Bounty Hunters, the start of the Jedi Masters, and that great Ultimate Jango, plus the fun electronic figures just rocked. Add the detail on Dooku to the mix, and 12" is doing fine in my opinion. Nice of them to give us all the Clone Trooper ranks, too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Playskool stuff just rocks. I mess around with mine all the time. Perhaps this is because I have my figures so accurately posed in my Gunship, and it's too easy to lose pieces. But the cuteness factor adds to the fun with the Playskool.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Unleashed is just awesome! I never got into Epic Force. Somehow, without the effects and extreme poses and expressions, it just can't touch what Unleashed delivers. I didn't want to collect these, but now I love them!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The figures are the least satisfying category for me. Hasbro was all over the board with these.

Resculpts: I didn't need Han Endor, Chewie Bespin, Luke Bespin, etc. Qui-Gon and Maul were worse! I understand the need to get the characters out there so every new kid that becomes a fan can have them because they were finally old enough to understand a Star Wars movie, and now their 4-year-old wants tells them they have to see the other movies and they want a Qui-Gon. More power to them! I'm just glad I'm not a completist, or worse, a variation hunter.

Pre-Posing and More resculpts: I have to admit, Luminara and Eeth Koth (POTJ), Kit Fisto, Sneak Peak Clone Trooper, even Mace Deluxe came out nice. I even have a use in my dioramas for the Mace with eyes closed - twice (though that's it!) But these characters were not that animated in Palpatine's office. So while I appreciate the sculpt work, I end up needing resculpts.

I am out of the mind-set that I want one-definitive figure to represent each character, like it was in the vintage days of collecting. However, I'd like a Luminara figure that I can put in Palpatine's office. Kit Fisto, too. They now made me WANT resculpts. I also recognize what they could do with a pre-posed Obi-Wan from the rain battle. It would be incredible! While meanwhile, I still need an Obi-Wan that looks "wet" but can be posed "normal."

The Facial Expressions are nice, but require resculpts too: I need an Anakin that is not giving the look of pure unbridled hatred to his mother, Padme, or the Jedi Council. Some neutral facial expressions would be welcome. You'd think they'd have done that for Mace's 2nd E2 figure?

The action features are sometimes cool. I like my Dooku, Zam Wessel, etc. But Padme requires a ripped shirt resculpt because her arm is constantly pointing and shooting. The Anakin Outland Peasant is really limited, but there's one case where they should just leave him alone - no resculpt on that one please. But for the most part, they don't bother me. The new Mace might be an extreme exception though.

The blast effects are seriously cool.

Clear non-scene specific stands would be the best bet there.

The Star Tours Figures rock! More droids are definitely good!

The prequel to classic mix was fine for a movie year. They did a great job. Jabba's palace was lacking though. Ephont Mon will be great, but one more could've still worked.

The lack of EU, or at least EU from stories in the continuity I hold as "holy" really bothered me. Concept figures winning polls or just being thought up by Hasbro - like in Maul's case, just irk me. EU figures in my mind are Yuuzhan Vong, Jaina and Jacen Solo, Quinlan Vos and Villie, Crimson Empire figures, Karrde and the Noghri, etc.

The Deluxe Figures really hit and missed. The flipping non-sense is sometimes amusing, but not what I'm into collecting figures for. I still can't get Dooku to land on his feet, so I suppose I should keep trying like it's the next thing since the Rubic's Cube. Jango was amusing too. The Mace was good, but the Battle Droid without foot holes was of no value. The Nexu was in a class by itself! Seriously good! I think 3PO and Yoda were both sweet. Anakin with the diced Geonosian is OK. Overall, they offered me a little bit more imaginative toys than just the action move figures of 2 Jedi and a Sith they gave up for Episode One.

All of this was better than the Classic mix we got with over-sized flight packs and EU vehicles - made up by Hasbro. Only the SnowTrooper and Hoth Soldier were really worthwhile. Meanwhile POTJ's deluxe were the best value: Luke's Bacta Tank, Slave Leia's real sailbarge cannon, ummm Amanaman's corpse sculpture (though not as much play-value) and Darth Maul was seriously sculpted and painted right - and from an actual comic story, so it was one Maul that was tolerable.

But I have enough to complain about, that I'm not sure how I'd rate the figures. A very tough call.

bigbarada
09-23-2002, 02:07 PM
There are a few pre-posed figures that look really cool, namely the Clonetroopers when inside the Gunship. If you watch the movie you'll notice that the Clone ranks were all advancing in the pose given to us by the Preview Clone. Looks great if you are building a small Geonosis diorama, but not so good if you want to make a Kamino diorama or simply expand beyond the movie.

That was what I loved so much about the vintage line, while they were clearly from the movie, the figures were posed in such a way as to allow kids to invent play scenarios beyond the movie storyline. That is still possible with the Saga line, but it is severely limited for many figures (for instance, it would be kind of hard for Padme to be respected as a Senator is she walked around with a bare midrif, pointing a blaster at everything she sees:) ).

In fact, many of the figures are so specific in their pose and facial expression that they could be considered EU figures, since those poses and attitudes never appeared in the film. Look at Geo Mace, when did he ever just go blindly rushing at an opponent screaming at the top of his lungs? Not anywhere in Ep1 or 2. When did Jar Jar take up a stun pole and attack anyone on Coruscant? When did Anakin use his lightsaber while in his "peasant" disguise?

thespar
09-23-2002, 03:12 PM
i agree with all that been said so. But the one think i agree with the most will have be to use of some of the gimacks. the lightsaber coming out of ankain arm for td reminds of something kenner did with their lightsabers.

rherk
09-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Ultimately, everything that was so right with Star wars figures in 2001 was ignored in 2002.

Preposed- Makes them non-action figures. A waste of plastic and money in 98% of them

Scene specific also mostly garbage.

It looks like the dissappiontment will continue throughout 2003.

I'm sad.

jedibear
09-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Good comments all....
Judging from the previews for next year we've been seeing, I don't expect much change from the types of figures and quality we've been getting (of course, it depends on your viewpoint or weather or not that's a good thing)...

The two small vehicle previews (the speeders) look good despite the figures, the new Action Collection entries continue the hit-n-miss formula that's been going on for awhile (2 misses this time though....a useless Anakin re-do & a hidious looking bobble-head Padme....a least the Geonosian looks promising) and the figures shown vary from really good detailing and sculpts to more of the same....

ah, well.....we gotta love it....

rynobot
09-25-2002, 08:26 PM
I agree with Jargo in what he said but I would like to add that the flimsy plastic used on the SAGA weapons is a bad trend. Also Hasbro is using weaker cards that seem to get damaged easier. I also think that Hasbro is either packing too many figures in a case or using too small of case to pack figures. It sickensme too find figures with crushed bubbles coming out of cases.

corporal AMF
09-27-2002, 07:25 PM
I mostly buy all of my figures online, so it makes me take care of every dollar I invest in a star wars toy.......so my opinion is that we got a high quality line, but with a not so high quality ideas for those toys......really if you start to think how teh gimmicks works or how those positions were achieved, you'll find an excellent work from the designers, the only problem was that some one told them to sculpt them in that way........

The best example of a good figure is the Royal Guard, he can be staring at Palpatine in attention, or can be using his electropole...

And for good figures, the non-posed ones were the best, Ephant mon, Taun wee, palpy, orn free ta, lott dod.............so I'm wondering if hasbro is surfing through all this SW forums and see what 'WE', the customer', wants

QLD
09-27-2002, 10:37 PM
What we really need....is a NEW LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beast
09-27-2002, 10:50 PM
I'm all for that QLD, especially if it's Lando Calrissian: Smuggler Outfit from the end of ESB. Though a less buff version of his General Outfit would be nice also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-27-2002, 10:55 PM
GENERAL LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMUGGLER LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BESPIN LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMOKE BREAK LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever, just make more LANDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jedibear
09-27-2002, 11:27 PM
I doubt that Hasbro is looking THAT closely at all the forums that are online about figures, C AMF....but that's not to say they don't pay attention to the older collectors either....
We got ample proof that they do with the POTJ line. Lots of secondary characters that were well-detailed and finely sculpted.
My hope is that as we enter another "non-movie" year, that the Saga collection takes a similiar turn.
In other words, lose the gimmicks, make resculpts truly new versions of established characters and hit us with a bunch of secondary characters...there are certainly more of those around with the streetlife of Coruscant added to the creature-filled mix we're already familiar with....

(Oh, & QLD....yes, a new version of Lando ala general or smuggler would indeed be welcomed!)...

bigbarada
09-27-2002, 11:33 PM
Since we are getting a remade Hoth Han Solo, we should get a resculpted Carbonite Han and the never-before-made Ceremonial Han from ANH. That should pretty much cover all the Han Solos we need for a while (although a Torture Chamber Han would be cool too).

We also need a new Original Trilogy Threepio, since we haven't gotten a new OT Threepio since 1998. Just package him with a rereleased Artoo with Holo Leia and you got yourself a great figure set.:)

Last of all, we need a resculpt of the Ceremonial Luke and Leia, along with General Dodonna. That would make 2003 a great year for me.:cool:

Tycho
09-28-2002, 01:26 AM
I'm all for more Landos, however:

12" SKIFF GUARD LANDO!!!

12" GENERAL CALRISSIAN!!!

and YES - before any resculpt stuff annoys me more:

SMUGGLER LANDO from the end of The Empire Strikes Back!!! in 3 3/4" version.

I'd even buy a 12" Smuggler Lando, but if they make him that way BEFORE they do a 3 3/4", then they are as disorganized as some of you thought before.

QLD
09-28-2002, 12:05 PM
ANY LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!

AS LONG AS IT IS LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigbarada
09-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Unleashed Lando?

Tycho
09-28-2002, 11:56 PM
They need to do an Unleashed for every main character. So we might as well ask what we want from a Lando.

It must be an extreme moment or portrait of courage.

Anakin was Rage.
Padme was courage.
Darth Maul was Fury.
Vader was Power.
Jango was Intensity.

I'm not sure about Dooku and Mace.

And they are doing Leia (Slave) and Yoda (unknown).

Yoda should be catching / deflecting Dark Side Lightning.

Leia could be swinging the force pike she picks up right before Luke tells her to get to the main gun.

LANDO....

There are several scenes that come to mind:

Regret: Bespin Lando, kneeling before frozen Han. "He's alive -and in perfect hybernation."

Redemption: (a cut scene) - on top of the Millennium Falcon, Lando (secured by a cable) went out against Bespin's ripping winds, to rescue Luke Skywalker and bring the wounded Jedi back aboard the ship.

Terror: Lando (Skiffguard) - in the grip of the Sarlaac tentacle desperately tries to escape while he holds on for Han's rescue.

You have to be careful to keep this the same size as the other Unleashed Figures:

Lando by Han in Carb could use the carbonite block and part of the freezing chamber floor as the base. This could work, but it doesn't present Lando at one of his most heroic moments.

Lando on top of the Falcon could not also include Luke Skywalker, it'd be too big. You'd only see part of the Falcon as the base, but it's cool since it once was his ship. The wind would be blowing Lando's hair very uncharacteristically, though.

Lando Skiffguard would not include any of the skiff most likely. Just a landform as both the base and the back, with Lando, no helmet, struggling to get up the side, and a tentacle gripping his leg. This could look very cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just on a side note, I want Luke Jedi and Han Solo as a Stormtrooper to get something different than what's been done before.

Han should be in the detention cell defending Leia's escape (Leia not included)

Luke should either be on Jabba's sailbarge with a damaged hand, or he should be delivering the final, fury-filled blow that severs Darth Vader's hand off of him on the Second Death Star.

Chewbacca would look cool if they could give him a little more: 3PO on his back and a stormtrooper being held above his head would be awesome!

Obi-Wan should be fighting Jango in the rain battlle on Kamino!