PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the new title?

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 12:07 PM
Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones is a fine Star Wars title, much better than Jar Jar gets a nipple piercing and starts a CLONE WAR

artdoesart
08-17-2001, 03:17 PM
honestly.. i think with all the creativity in the SW universe and skywalker ranch, u would think they could come up with a better name.

"attack of the clones" seems pretty lame, why not call it episode 2 th second movie......:(

Jek Porky 2001
08-17-2001, 05:26 PM
Whenever Ithink Of Attack of the Clones, I think of a 1950's horror movie, I just keep seeing this giant blob and this huge squiggly yellow writing. So no I don't like the new title:mad:

the master jedi
08-17-2001, 06:08 PM
I absolutely hate the new title. it sounds like a '50 B movie. I don't like star wars for the names of the movies, I like star wars for the story the movies tell and I'm pretty sure everybody here likes star wars for the same reason.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 02:43 PM
As I've said a million times before, I like the new title; but I agree with The Master Jedi, the title's not important, the story is.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 06:48 PM
Judging JUST the title, I don't like it. I don't know how the movie will be, but this title sucks IMO because "Attack of the ____" is a cliche' and a joke based on dozens of cruddy sci-fi/horror flicks from the '50s. If it was "Onslaught of the Clones", "The Clone Attack", "Battle of the Clones", even "Curse of the Dopplegangers", I wouldn't mind so much. Ok, maybe on that last one, I might. ;) But how about "Dawn of the Clones"? That one (it's not mine, I just saw it in a post) seems 100 times better AND just as accurate, yet still "harkening back to the days of serials, when George Lucas could go to the movies all day for a nickel" or something. :D

BenQuad
08-18-2001, 09:45 PM
C'mon JT, the title could have been anything....

I know you don't like it, but I have to be honest - it is growing on me.

You may like to mention any references to 50s movies with similar titles - I comend JL with the conviction to continue the series with such pretentious film titles.

I am actually beginning to believe that "Attack of the Clones" falls rather nicely into the whole proceedings...

C'mon "The Empire Strikes Back"...... no sublety there. :)

james the hutt
08-19-2001, 01:12 AM
The title is really lame, not that there is anything wrong with that. Everybody will just call it Episode 2 anyways.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 09:00 AM
I don't think you understood what I was saying BenQuad, I don't give a flying fart if the title is accurate, subtle, mysterious, or even poetic, the term "Attack of the ____" is a JOKE in our society, that's what bothers me. Lucas isn't the only one to have seen a serial or two, there are TONS of titles that don't lend themselves to such a twist of meanings as to now be almost totally a comical play off the very titles. My point is, he didn't name this film "Star Wars: Ben & Anakin's Excellent Adventure" or "Star Wars: The Far-Out Adventures of Groovy Starkiller" because those are obviously silly, but "Attack of the Clones" sounds just as silly IMO as either of those. Look at all the non-Star Wars listings on Alta Vista under the PHRASE ""attack of the" (http://www.altavista.com/sites/search/web?q=%22attack+of+the%22&pg=q&kl=XX)", at least 43,000 of those are for-sure not based on the new Star Wars film:

"Attack of the Anime Toys!"
"Seattle Weekly - news: Attack of the 150-foot planners"
"National Review: Attack of the Wealth-Eaters: 'Like flies to meat they come!'."
"PETA: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" (not based on the film of the same name, which was in of itself a mockery of this very title and genre)
"Attack of the Y2K Bug Screensaver at Rhode Island Soft Systems"
"Attack of the Killer Weeds - California"
"Attack of the Killer Links from CyberSpace - Web Resources"
"Sioux City: Attack of the Indoor Football League"
"CNN - Hollywood horror: Attack of the bad scripts - July 8, 1997"
"Attack of the Straws"
"Ironminds: Attack of the Sissy Cyberterrorists"
"Switch - Attack of the CyberFeminists"
"Attack of the Killer Audio Ads: Part II"
"Attack of the Never-Ending Paragraphs -- Rants -- The Commons -- Nuketown"
"DevShed - The JSP Files (part 2): Attack Of The Killer Fortune Cookies"
"COVER STORIES:ATTACK OF THE DATA MINERS High-water pants alert!"
"Attack of the Bad Query Letter - Suite101.com"
... and on and on and on, ad nauseum! This is what the name "Star Wars" is now going to be associated with, and that's what bugs me about the title.

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2001, 12:50 PM
It's a nifty title.

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 01:58 PM
Yeah! Watch out how you sling the term "gay" around here! It's like calling something "Irish" and meaning it's "drunk"- another something to which I would take offense!

How about just using the word "lame" or "stupid" or "uncreative".

I'm offended.

BTW- I like the title even more now than I did two weeks ago.

...and unless I hear some apologies or retractions for that really insensitive remark I'll like you a lot less than I did two minutes ago!

The 'Xir
08-21-2001, 12:09 AM
UUMMMMmmm... on this whole 50's thing... I thought that was the point! I thought the Official site suggested that that's what Ole Georgie-boy was going for with the title, while still respecting the backstory created in 'A New Hope'
I mean, if you think about it there's been a whole fifties theme surrounding this whole prequel event! I mean the Naboo fighter has a very 50's sleek like stlye or look to it, and remember that Episode II select photo that was thrown in amongst the actual photos, it looked like a scene right out of American Grafitti with all the cars parked around the drive-inn diner! Now we have this new title!
If you wanna probe deeper into GL's thinking, I suggest that he's incorporating the way we think about the 50's into the prequels, for example, like how we always say, "Oh things were so much simpler back then", to give a reflective feeling to these prequels! Let's reflect; Ben: "A more elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations the Jedi were the gaurdians of peace and justice in the Republic, before the dark times, before the Empire" This sounds like Ben's reminiscing about the old republic the way we reminisce about the fifties!

Eternal Padawan
08-21-2001, 02:04 AM
Well said Xir. Sooooo...do you like the title or not?

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 05:30 AM
Just because we're revisiting the serials of the '40s and '50s doesn't mean we have to use everything about them. I thought SW and Indy were supposed to be homages while perfecting the very idea of a serial. Just because the serials used racist terms like "yellow slanty eyed devils" and other horrible phrases doesn't mean Lucas is going to make his bad guys be Asians and the good guys call them racist names, because people's views on that sort of thing have changed over the last 50 years.

Eternal Padawan
08-21-2001, 10:26 AM
Good thing I edited that post about JediTricks being a bigoted homophobe...

JEDIpartner
08-21-2001, 10:35 AM
yeah... you aren't kidding... especially since I'M Asian!!

BTW- there's another one from James the Hutt... you missed!

Seriously, though- I think the title is growing on me... and when I see all of the titles together... they aren't so bad after all. As I said before- A NEW HOPE was a pretty soft title for a science-fantasy film of its calibre!

Obi-Don
08-21-2001, 10:42 AM
I'm not too sure about the "attack of the clones" myself. I do think GL could have come up with something better and still stayed within his theme.

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Good thing I edited that post about JediTricks being a bigoted homophobe... I don't think I understand what you're getting at here, but I would hope you're not insinuating that I'm a racist hate-monger. I would even more strongly hope you don't think I am a racist hate-monger.

JP, sorry I missed that, it's fixed now. Moderating the whole board by myself has been kinda hard lately so I don't know what's falling through the cracks.

Asians certainly did get a very large share of the derogatory comments in the serials, even the 1940s Batman serial has those "slanty-eyed" comments in it. I can't imagine anybody being OK with that type of language and mean stereotyping in a film today.

The 'Xir
08-22-2001, 01:12 PM
OOPPPSS, Sorry EP, I guess I started to ramble there, Yeah I like the title!

2-1B
03-24-2006, 03:12 AM
I love the new title of the Star Wars movie from 2002 but I figured there would be some people who wouldn't like it. I still love it though. Those crazy attackin' clones. :(

Slicker
03-24-2006, 04:14 AM
But did the Clones really attack? Weren't they more defending than anything else? So, shouldn't it have been called "Defending with the Clones"?

CaptainSolo1138
03-24-2006, 08:01 AM
But did the Clones really attack? Weren't they more defending than anything else? So, shouldn't it have been called "Defending with the Clones"?
Shut up. Since you hated AotC, any opinions you have on the movie are null and void.

El Chuxter
03-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Maybe Episode III would've been a better "Attack of the Clones." Then Episode II could've been "Revenge of the Sith," and it would've been hella subtle.

stillakid
03-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Episode I should have been called, "You're all excited to see this, but it's crap. The joke's on you."

Episode II should have been called, "For those left after the first disaster, this one is the same crap, just dressed up in more special effects."

Episode III should have been, "You're still here? Okay, well, here's a useless cameo of a short Darth Vader to take your mind off the last two hours of crap."

El Chuxter
03-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Episode I shoud've been called "Hey, Rick, Check Out This Crap. I Know This Will P*** Off stillakid!"

2-1B
03-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Or they could have just called them all "Episode I, II, and II: It doesn't matter how bad these are, stillakid will stillwatchthem and stillbittchaboutthem even stillseveralyears after they're stillover, while stillbuying the toys." lol

and no kidding Slick, I shouldn't even talk to you for hating AOTC. :whip:

But yes, since you asked, they did attack. They attacked the Confederacy in a literal sense but their creation and revelation was an "attack" on the galaxy...lol

Slicker
03-24-2006, 11:35 AM
and no kidding Slick, I shouldn't even talk to you for hating AOTC. :whip:So you mean all I have to do to get you to shut the f**k up is talk bad about AOTC? I really wish I would've known that about 2 years ago.;)

2-1B
03-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Looks like I need to go make a post in the IGNORE thread. :mad:

CaptainSolo1138
03-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Really?!?!

stillakid
03-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Or they could have just called them all "Episode I, II, and II: It doesn't matter how bad these are, stillakid will stillwatchthem and stillbittchaboutthem even stillseveralyears after they're stillover, while stillbuying the toys." lol

Stillbuyingthetoys! That might be my new name!!!! :thumbsup:

2-1B
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
that is my parting gift to you from these forums and also my housewarming gift to you in the new forums, stilla. :D