PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Member of the Official Fan Club?

Tycho
09-23-2002, 04:14 AM
There's been some changes at the Official Fan Club, as well as some awesome offers.

Twelve Inch Collectors are getting their Ki-Adi Mundi Jedi Knight figures and seem quite happy about the quality. More are on the way, such as Plo Koon who's prototype has already been shown.

The Star Wars Insider continues to ship, with some awesome interviews and some great features about the Jedi in the latest issue.

A new publishing company has taken over the magazine, and there will be 2 more issues per year than before. It used to come every 2 months for six issues, though now there will be 8!

Questions remain as to who is going to run the Star Wars online store?

Is it just the Fan Club's official magazine that is being managed by the new company? Or will it be everything with the website relocating and Plo Koon becoming available from a different source?

Let's discuss your membership status and how you think things are going.

stillakid
09-23-2002, 09:23 AM
Yes I am. I have a question though. The new membership kit looks great, but through a wacky set of circumstances, I have a membership until 2004. Will I have to get a whole new membership just to get the kit, or will there be some allowance for those who are already members and have no need for immediate renewal.

signed,
confused

dr_evazan22
09-23-2002, 09:38 AM
I've been a member since 1993 and overall, have loved the magazine.

I do think it was better before it was sold to Wizards, especially the Jawa Trader, which was the FC store before it was on-line. Now, it's just a showcase for Wizards products, which I don't really care for.
I was disappointed when Wizards got the license for the SW TCG, I preferred the Decipher game more. I thought they had great photos on the cards and really expanded upon the SW universe.

I have been pleased w/ the way the new FC ships merchandise. The past couple of items have been really well packed, and the items usually come quickly via FedEx.

My membership was thru 2004, but I need to extend/renew it now that they are shipping more ish's per year.

Stillakid- I think they're sending the membership pack to new and renewed memberships.

OC47150
09-23-2002, 10:06 AM
I've been a FC member since '97; I signed up when I read about the FC exclusive cantina band members. I like the fact that membership packs are returning ( I have the 20-year anniverary magnets on my fridge at home!!) but like others wonder if I will get one since my subscription is good for another year.

The only bad experience I had with the FC was earlier this year and it involved the Internet shopping site. I naturally assumed the site knew I was a FC member but it didn't; I hadn't registered separately through it. I emailed the FC, commenting on this matter, and someone explained it very nicely to me and sent me a $5 credit/gift certificate for my inconvenience.

hukilu
09-23-2002, 11:54 AM
I for one am very excited for the changes in the Fan Club. I have the honor of knowing Lisa Stevens (new President) personally and there could hardly be a bigger fan/collector on the planet. Her dedication and respect for the Star Wars franchise and fan base is unmatchable. As one can see from her first revisions to the FC (bantha tracks, more issues, lower prices, membership kits) - this is the best thing to happen to the club in a while. (Side note) Lisa was the one pushing for a Rabe' fig in the battle of Naboo game but Wizards/Hasbro went with Wookie Scout.
I beleive that under Lisa's direction we will have penty to do/read/buy in these next coming off-movie years.

Rogue II
09-23-2002, 11:55 AM
I was a member, but I let it expire a few years ago('98 or '99). I still buy things from the fanclub website (Carbon Freeze Chamber, Stormtroopers 4-pack).

Lord Malakite
09-23-2002, 01:45 PM
I was originally a member because of the exclusive figures that required a membership to buy. After they dropped that policy so anyone could buy them, I let my membership expire and haven't looked back since. Sometimes I still read the articles if I notice a new Insider at the library/magazine rack though.

bigbarada
09-23-2002, 02:19 PM
I still buy the Insider when I see it on the racks, but being a member was nothing but a hassle for me. From not getting my first issue for 6 months after starting my membership to trying to decipher the mumbling speech of the inarticulate customer service operators. Granted, I joined just before Wizards took over, but things didn't really seem to change much for the better, since I still had to call every month just to get the newest Insider (which I usually recieved about three weeks after it showed up at Wal-Mart).

So, I gave up on that pitiful excuse for a fan club. I am hopeful about this most recent change but will probably wait for about a year before deciding to get a membership or not.

scruffziller
09-23-2002, 02:47 PM
I LOVE MY SW INSIDER. I mainly became a member because of getting exclusives, but since I stopped collecting, it isn't a big deal now.

Darth forb1us
09-23-2002, 03:51 PM
I was going to join, but figured since I was moving soon, why not wait till then (planned the move several months ago)
Are there any "real" advantages to being a member? as you can get club exclusives w/o being a member?

JediTricks
09-23-2002, 04:00 PM
I let mine expire, they weren't offering me enough for my money.

BTW, the fan club is still owned by Hasbro (via WOTC), it's just now being run by a new company which was formed by ex-WOTC-insiders.

Battle Droid
09-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Nope, never have been a member.

TylerD
09-23-2002, 09:29 PM
I have never been a member, But I am thinking of joining. I regularly buy it at the newstands. It was wierd for awhile though, when NO new Insider Magazines were showing up at the stores. What exactly did happen during their hiatus, and when did they get rid of Scott Chernoff etc.?

roger roger
09-24-2002, 12:51 AM
I've never been a member, I always thought the membership fees were too much if all you got was a magazine.

What ar in the new membership kits? If they are cool enough I might just join.

mini-rock
09-24-2002, 01:15 AM
Nope! Never been a member, and have no desire to join.

Tycho
09-24-2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
BTW, the fan club is still owned by Hasbro (via WOTC), it's just now being run by a new company which was formed by ex-WOTC-insiders.

JT: So that means Lisa Stevens' company is like an outside consultant hired to administer the Fan Club and write / publish the magazine?

The Star Wars Insider has been great for a number of years. I've really been liking what they've been doing for the magazine since 1997! I'm a huge fan of Ian McDiarmid interviews (Palpatine) - his insights into Star Wars are great (as if he ruled the universe or something ;) )

The recent article on the Seven Deadly Forms (of lightsaber fighting) was awesome! As a martial artist, I was especially interested in that, as I know the Jedi Forms are taken from real-life forms that Nick Gilliard works with the actors and stuntsmen with. I wish I knew which was what (Jedi Form).

Meanwhile, I had trouble only once: I learned (fortunately before going to the Celebration) that you aren't a member automatcially because you subscribe to the magazine. It basically costs $10 more a year to be a member, but they send you a gift-certificate for $10 so you will shop in their store. It's just a marketing ploy so the new goodies might be nice - the magnets were useful. Meanwhile, I had cased my certificate in for money off my E2 poster. And I've enjoyed the Fan Club discounts for shipping, etc. as I order from them at least 2-3 times a year or more.

The Jedi Masters and troop builder sets etc, are getting to be very good offers!

Pendo
09-24-2002, 12:56 PM
There are many Official Star Wars fan clubs so I didn't know what to vote. I voted yes because I am a proud member (number 55) of the Official UK Star Wars Fan Club. Ok so the UK one is nothing compared to the cool US one, but hey it's better than nothing :). Anyone know if you can become a member of the US fan club if you don't live there? I think I might apply for the US one soon :).

PENDO!

jedikiss
09-24-2002, 01:13 PM
i've been a memmber since '97 and well i've been pleased except lately when the have "member's only" prices, the online site has failed 3 out of 3 times to recognize me as a member and i keep getting renewal notices after i renewed, but other than that the fan club is fine w/ me, the mag. is great...

JediTricks
09-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Tycho, that depends on your POV for the term "outside", but essentially, that's what it is - except without the writing, they are keeping the current WOTC writing team. If you had read my article in the news about this (pieced together from a few press releases), you'd understand why I'm a little skeptical about calling this new company "outside": http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=13&show_article=2660

As you can see, the heads of Paizo are WOTC insiders in the truest sense, so it feels more like some sort of corporate shifting rather than an addition of a new company. It reminds me of Pepsi and Tricon and how even though Tricon claims they're not owned by Pepsi anymore, top Pepsi execs and insiders make up the chief execs at Tricon.

Turbowars
09-27-2002, 11:55 PM
I was a member for 5 years, but I see no point in renewing. I bought my TF Vader for 14.99 without a membership and thats less than a new membership. I don't care about the interviews and the Trader sucks, So no I will not become a member until it is required to buy items.

jjreason
10-07-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
I was originally a member because of the exclusive figures that required a membership to buy. After they dropped that policy so anyone could buy them, I let my membership expire and haven't looked back since. Sometimes I still read the articles if I notice a new Insider at the library/magazine rack though.

Hear, hear. Here, anyway. Thanks for saving me some typing, LM.

Jargo
10-07-2002, 03:19 PM
They don't let Johnny foreigner or infidels join the US fanclub PENDO. You'll have to make do with the vastly overpriced UK pale imitation version.

I have no desire to join either. I deplore facets of both.

Pendo
10-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
They don't let Johnny foreigner or infidels join the US fanclub PENDO. You'll have to make do with the vastly overpriced UK pale imitation version.

I have no desire to join either. I deplore facets of both.

:(:cry:

They should just make a really BIG fan club called "The International Star Wars Fan Club" and have the best bits from every club in it, and no matter where you are in the world you can join it! That way other fans outside the US will be able to enjoy all the exclusive Star Wars stuff and not feel left out :).

Hey, I can dream can't I...:rolleyes:

PENDO!

Pendo
10-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Pendo

:(:cry:

They should just make a really BIG fan club called "The International Star Wars Fan Club" and have the best bits from every club in it, and no matter where you are in the world you can join it! That way other fans outside the US will be able to enjoy all the exclusive Star Wars stuff and not feel left out :).

Hey, I can dream can't I...:rolleyes:

PENDO!

That is creepy! My dream has just come true. Well sort of :rolleyes:! The Official Site have revealed today that Star Wars Insider and membership to the US Star Wars fan club will be available worldwide. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's only available to countries where there isn't already a fan club :(. The UK have a fan club, which means I WON'T BE ABLE TO JOIN :cry::cry::(:(:cry::cry:!!!!

TYPICAL!!! :mad:

Click here for more info on it. (http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2002/10/news20021015.html)

PENDO!