PDA

View Full Version : UCS Star Destroyer

dr_evazan22
09-23-2002, 08:17 AM
I found this news on the OS this morning. I can't wait!

starwars.com Collecting News Article

LEGO Ultimate Collector Star Destroyer
September 23, 2002

Experienced the full might of the Empire's powerful warship with LEGO's upcoming Ultimate Collectors series Imperial Star Destroyer set. With over 3,000 bricks, this is the biggest LEGO kit ever sold. When completed, the Star Destroyer is almost a meter (three feet) long. The set comes complete with a display stand and placard.

Based on the design of the Devastator, Darth Vader's Star Destroyer in Episode IV, the vessel includes a mini-model of the Tantive IV, Princess Leia's Rebel blockade runner seen at the start of A New Hope. The blockade runner, only available with the Star Destroyer, is the first of an upcoming collection of similar-sized mini-vehicles.

The introductory launch price of this set is $269.99, and it is available for pre-order at LEGO's official site here for release in November. Act now, as this launch price only lasts until January.

News: Episode I DVD: From Script to Screen
News: LEGO Ultimate Collector Star Destroyer
News: French Lucasfilm Magazine #37
Jedi Council: Ep III teasers on DVD?

News: LEGO Special Edition Naboo Starfighter
News: LEGO Writing System
News: Toy Fair 2002: LEGO Lineup
News: Early 2002 LEGO Round-Up

Empire, the
Imperial Star Destroyer
Solo, Princess Leia Organa
Tantive IV (Rebel blockade runners)
Vader, Darth

InsaneJediGirl
09-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Wow,This sounds great!I've always wanted a Star Destroyer in Lego form.I cant wait to get my hands on one,although the price tag is a bit steep,but is most likely worth it.:D

ACPin
09-23-2002, 10:21 AM
I'm seriously considering on getting this one since I didn't get the RBR. :cool:

fourtwo
09-23-2002, 12:20 PM
its huge and ridciulous.
i love it naturally.
i only hope i can scrape up 300 bones when it comes out

Battle Droid
09-23-2002, 02:22 PM
To pricey for my taste, I'll pass.

fourtwo
09-23-2002, 03:04 PM
it looks like it will be worth it to me.
i wonder what the other small scale ships will be.

JediTricks
09-23-2002, 03:13 PM
"Grandma, christmas is coming soon..."

If I can figure out a place to put it, this WILL be mine. It looks like a VERY good set.

I'm impressed with the concept of the mini-vehicle line, that should be fantastic.

Darth forb1us
09-23-2002, 03:14 PM
It is real nice, the price tag is a bit eh... Even though its most likely worth it, thats a lot to drop all of the sudden. I'll probably end up getting it though, lay-a-way is your friend :D

What will the price be after "the launch price ends in January" ?
Selling it that high, then marking it up is ludicrous :(

JediBoulton
09-23-2002, 03:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing Darth Forb1us -- LEGO is not usually one to sell kits at such extreme cases -- unless they are something really special. The Blockade Runner is $199.99 -- this is still HIGH, and I have not gotten it yet. ALSO -- They have a Statue of Liberty that I would love to add to my collection that is also $199.99. HOWEVER THIS IS THE BIGGEST SET EVER!! And the detail is AWSOME. The little mini ships would look GREAT around a center piece like this. If they are going to start a mini-ship collection, who is to say that they wont come out with a USC Death Star II from ROTJ -- with a mini Shuttle Tydirium?? That would be SWEET !! I will have to get this set -- might have to put the wedding on hold for a month -- haha!!

LTBasker
09-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Actually a huge picture is up right now that includes different angles of it at StarWars.com. Looks great, and considering the size of some recognizable pieces there, it's easy to imagine the mass of this thing, and it'll be huge. Though I'm not gonna get very excited about it, it'll probably be $200-300.

darthvyn
09-23-2002, 05:28 PM
i think this thing looks awesome, and if i ever get any money, i will have it... i was really considering getting the x-wing and tie interceptor - but this is just amazing!

gtrain29
09-23-2002, 08:30 PM
It would be awesome if they made the Mon Calamari Cruiser later to be its counterpart.

dr_evazan22
09-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
[
If I can figure out a place to put it, this WILL be mine. It looks like a VERY good set.
[/B]

Yeah, that's the problem I'm having also! I can't think of any place that I have now that would do it justice, display-wise.

As far as price goes, yes, it is pretty steep. But at over 3,000 pieces, that comes out to about 9 cents a piece (less since it's over 3,000).

If your considering waiting, I would remind you that the UCS x-Wing debuted at 99.99 and went up to 149.99 (the other sets have gone on sale since, but not the X-Wing).

I'm trying to lower my credit card debt. Hasbro and LEGO aren't helping:) .

Nexu
09-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that really is pretty cheap when you think about it.

JediTricks
09-23-2002, 11:48 PM
I can't even think of one spot in my apt that would be big enough to hold it except the bathroom. I don't even have space in the kitchen! The more I think about it, the more daunting the task of making space for this becomes - but perhaps it's worth the effort.

darthvyn
09-24-2002, 12:33 PM
my major concern is the TIME factor! 3000 pieces... when will i ever finish this thing! and it will take a lot more space while being assembled than afterwards for display puposes... ah, i still want it, though... :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

IG65
09-24-2002, 02:47 PM
I did get the Rebel Blockade Runner when it went on sale at Target and I can't say enough good things about it. The Star estroyer looks to be just as good if not better. So do you preorder it hoping for a lower price, or wait until it goes on sale and risk not getting one? Decisions, decisions . . . :rolleyes:

fourtwo
09-24-2002, 04:06 PM
i don't have the blockade runner, although if i get the job at TRU i applied for its gonna be one of my first purchases :)
the star destroyer i'll be gettting, be it on layaway or all at once

JediTricks
09-24-2002, 04:31 PM
The mini-vehicle blockade runner is cute, but pretty basic. You can see it in the lego.com flash show about it (which is amusing as heck). If I don't get the UCS star destroyer, I won't feel like my mini-vehicle collection is suffering.

fourtwo
09-24-2002, 05:19 PM
it is really nifty though. its a neat way for the lego line to go. better chance of seeing all the capital ships get made, and not have to spend an arm and/or leg to get them
:)

JediBoulton
09-25-2002, 08:27 AM
Jedi Tricks -- I think I have solved your problem on where to put your LEGO Destroyer. Go ahead and put it in your bathroom --

You will have the coolest Star Wars Soap Dish of any of us -- HAHA!!

LusiferSam
09-29-2002, 02:00 PM
I wasn't planning on getting any more UCS (for me they get end up being dust catchers). But this may be an expiation. My love giant Lego sets a waned as I have less room with each set, lager or small. And with that price tag my wallet will be a bit thin too.

IG65
09-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I can't even think of one spot in my apt that would be big enough to hold it except the bathroom.

I was just trying to explain to my wife how a formal dining room is really wasted space, and perhaps a nice centerpiece for the table . . . alright, perhaps a complete covering for the table would boost the usefullness of the room ;)

(I don't think she's buying it) :p

JediTricks
09-30-2002, 08:20 PM
IMO, that would be a perfect place for this thing on an otherwise pointless table. :D Then again, I have toys EVERYWHERE in my place already. :crazed: