PDA

View Full Version : SSG Fantasy Hockey League

Rogue II
09-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Our Fantasy Football leauge has been fun so far(even though I'm on the verge of going 0-3). I was considering starting a fantasy hockey league on Yahoo.

My goal is to have 8 or 10 teams.

This season should be pretty exciting with some of the rule changes.

So, come on hockey fans, I know you're out there.

QLD
09-23-2002, 04:02 PM
I would love too, but even fantast hockey can't get me into hockey. Sorry :(

thespar
09-23-2002, 04:58 PM
sure i will give it a try how does i work.

Rogue II
09-23-2002, 05:20 PM
If you don't have a Yahoo ID, you will need to get one. They are free.

I'll create a league and give you the info.

Once you create your team, you can either rank the players yourself or have use the default rankings. If you pre-rank the players yourself, make sure you rank at least 150.

When eveyone is ready, there will be an "auto-draft" that picks the teams according to how everyone ranks the players on their respective lists. After the teams are chosen, you can add, drop, and trade players.

Each week, you go against another team. There are 10 statistical categories. You get a point for each category you lead.

Each team will have:
2 Left Wings
2 Right Wings
2 Centers
4 Defencemen
2 Goalies
3 Bench players (can be any position)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-23-2002, 11:03 PM
Sign me up Rogue II.

I am pretty sure that I can follow my fantasy league closely this year because I haven't gone back to school (yet)! I am very excited and psyched about the upcoming season (even though the Buffalo Sabres will suck even more this year). There will hopefully be new rule changes that will speed up the game, and hoepfully open up play to allow more scoring. A couple of greats have retired (including Hasek) and a couple of players have changed teams (Guerin, Cujo). Just think, it'll be the first time since 1968 that Scotty Bowman has not been coaching in the NHL.

I already have an ID registered on Yahoo, yet for some reason I cannot access my E-mail. Is a Yahoo E-mail address a necessity?

Rogue II
09-23-2002, 11:19 PM
You do not need to use a yahoo e-mail address.

I'm hoping that interference/obstruction rule change will free up some of the faster players on the Sabres (Maxium Afinaginov, Satan, Connelly, etc.) and let them get some goals. Hey, I can dream.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-23-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
You do not need to use a yahoo e-mail address.

I'm hoping that interference/obstruction rule change will free up some of the faster players on the Sabres (Maxium Afinaginov, Satan, Connelly, etc.) and let them get some goals. Hey, I can dream.

The rule changes could help those players offensive games indeed, but it could hurt the team as a whole. The team is low on talent, and often those types of teams employ the "hook and grab" as a means to contain the other star-studded teams. But the Sabres scored 6 goals vs. the Senators on Saturday, who knows what this crackdown will do for them?

Rogue II
09-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Everything I've read says this rule change should really help Satan have a career year. He had 2 of those 6 goals vs. Ottowa.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Rogue II,

Got a suggestion for ya. Either post a link to this thread, or a normal post if you will (since you do have a link on your signature) in the Just Found Canada Section of the forums and I betcha we'll get a lot of responses.

Don't ask me why, I just have a hunch that it'll work. ;)

P.S. I'll get a link for this thread on my signature too, in a jiffy

Rogue II
09-26-2002, 07:24 PM
I don't know, the Just Found Canada section looks pretty dead.

Do Canadians really like hockey?:crazed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Well, if all else fails. My brother said he'd register.

We gotta have more hockey fans than this. I remember during the Playoffs, we had a pretty nice thread going on in the General Section.

Rogue II
09-27-2002, 11:25 PM
jjreason said he would play. Add your brother, that's 5. We're getting there, very slowly.

Jon
09-29-2002, 12:04 AM
Hey, I'm from Detroit so you know I love hockey. I will join this league. Sign me up. Just let me know what to do and when to do it and I am there. Go WINGS!!!!

Talrum
09-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Hey, i'm in jsut tell me what to do?

Rogue II
09-29-2002, 01:20 PM
I think I pm'ed the league info to everyone that has said they would play. If I missed you, let me know.

We still need a couple more players.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-01-2002, 12:33 AM
I just registered today. I did try yesterday, but the server was super busy. My brother has not registered, he is a last resort (if we don't get enough people). But he is ready to be called upon if needed.

Anyway, I am psyched for the upcoming season. I am such a big hockey fan. Who do you think is going to get the most touchdowns this season?

Rogue II
10-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Ok, we are at 8 teams. Unless there are any objections, I will set the Autodraft to "Ready" on Friday morning. That means our teams should have our teams Sat or Sun.

In other words...."LAST CALL!"

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-03-2002, 12:48 AM
We are now at 9 teams. An uneven number league means that one of the teams has to be deleted. Anyway we can remedy situation before the draft?

Can we get another member to please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please sign up?

You do not know how appreciative we would be.

rynobot
10-03-2002, 01:06 AM
My name is Rynobot, I am here to join your Fantasy Hockey League even though I dislike, and know nothing about it.

thespar
10-04-2002, 10:12 PM
so after we get are teams how do we what team wins the game

Rogue II
10-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Well, the teams are drafted.

Every week, your team goes head-to-head with another team. There are 10 stat categories. You get a point for each category you lead at the end of the week. You can always click on "Schedules and Results" to find out the scores.

rynobot
10-05-2002, 12:20 AM
What about rosters? When are lineups due? IS there a max amount games per position?

Rogue II
10-05-2002, 06:52 AM
The only requirement for games is this:

Each week, your goaltenders must reach the minimum of 3 appearances. If you fail to reach this mark, you will lose all of your goaltending games for that week.

Your players and goalies can play as many games as they can. You can update your team daily to maximize your score.

Jon
10-05-2002, 04:32 PM
I just got a look at my team after the draft and I must say I am pretty happy. Just missed ouit on Cujo though. That would have made things real nice. Good Luck to all.

Go Jedi Whalers!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Thanks for joining Rynobot! Now we have an even ten teams!

I too liked the roster for my team (the scooby don'ts) but after looking at the other teams, I realized that since we have only room for 2 or 3 centers, wingers, Defenseman, etc. and only 10 teams, that most of us are going to have star players on our teams.

One thing--my brother tried dropping a player today (Ryan Smyth) but for some reason he couldn't do it. Are roster moves forbidden until the start of the season?

I did notice a lot of star players that I was aghast when I saw that they weren't picked (Peca, Briere plus many more). Only a matter of time before they are snatched up.

Rogue II
10-05-2002, 11:16 PM
All the available players stay on waivers for 2 days. As far as I can know, you can put in requests to pick up players, but they won't go thru until 12am Monday.

During the season, if someone releases a player, he will be on waivers for 48 hours. In that time, if more that one person put in a requests to pick up that player, it will go to the person highest on the waiver priority(see Team & Manager List).

Does that make sense?

Jon
10-06-2002, 08:53 PM
I spent some time reviewing how the whole drop a player, pick up a player featuer works. I think for some of us we will learn a lot in the first 2 or 3 weeks about how this all comes together. I too noticed some nice free agents lingering out there, but I would have a real hard time dropping any of my players to snatch up Briere. It's gonna take a few weeks to see how these guys will do.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-09-2002, 01:41 AM
GAME ON!

Season begins tonight with three games on tap.

NYR @ CAR
DAL @ COL
PHO @ LA

Hockey has sort of snuck up on me. I am just getting used to the football season starting.

I read in the Buffalo News that so far, 9,600 tickets for the opening game for Buffalo vs. NYI were sold. That would be an all time low for a game at the HSBC arena. And that is sorry considering that is a home opener! People in Buffalo have been turned off all summer long by the ownership failure and lack of roster movements for the team. They aren't going to show up unless there is something positive for a change.

Jon
10-09-2002, 06:25 PM
That's hard to imagine in Buffalo, I have always liked the Sabres but I'm afraid the Buffalo Sabres may move in the not too distant future. No worries like this in Detroit though.

Only a few games on tap tonight, the real action starts tomorrow. As I said in the League Chat good luck to everyone and let's drop the puck!

Rogue II
10-09-2002, 07:30 PM
I don't even want to think about the Sabres moving.

My mom just sent my daughter a little Sabres Zamboni today (mostly to tease me, but she sent it nonetheless)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-12-2002, 10:50 PM
The season is a couple days old--too young to say there are definites for making the playoffs or not, however, the Rangers are getting smoked yet again (lost to Pittsburgh tonight 6-0). Can't they get the hint that the more they try to buy star players, the worse that they do.

*The Sabres look pretty good after two games. They've outscored their opponents 11-2 so far. Why are they doing so well despite their lack of star players. Lindy Ruff the coach has sold the team that like the Minnesota Twins in MLB, they can overcome the adversity that they are facing (seeing their owners getting carted off to jail, lack of fans buying tickets) and turn it to their advantage. So far it has worked. Plus, I think the new crackdown on obstruciton has helped many of their player's game including Satan and Connelly.

*New Jersey it looks like will be the team to beat in the East. Hitchcock though well have his Flyers play tough too. We'll just have to see how soon the Flyer players and Bobby Clarke blame the coach for all their frustrations.

*Boston needs to sign Dafoe. They can't win many games with Grahame. Plus Dafoe is on my Fantasy League ;)

One question regarding the league, are their limitless roster moves? And will you get credited at the end of the week for players you had on your team for a certain day, but not at the end of the week when they total the points?

Jon
10-13-2002, 02:21 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I believe at the end of the week they total the stats from your players while they played for you, regardless if they have been dropped since then. But in the same way players you add, their stats are not added into your total for games they did not play for you. For example I dropped Roman Turek tonight like a bad habit but his stats will still count in my weekly totals (unfortunately).

I also believe under League settings it says no limit on roster moves, so we can just add and drop all we want it appears. But trades do have a deadline.

In response to your take on the teams starts to their seasons, Dallas & Los Angeles look pretty good so far. The Kings beat my Wings tonight. Look out for Minnesota & Vancouver out west, they will surprise people. But it appears in the end it will be Detroit, Colorado & Dallas again.

In the East, or Minor League, ha ha, it looks to me that once again anyone can win it except Atlanta or Florida. I would agree that the Devils have to be the favorite but watch out for Ottawa & Toronto, & Tampa may be better than expected.

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 06:58 AM
There are unlimited roster moves.
Trade deadline is Wednesday, March 12.

I thought Buffalo has built their team around goaltending and speed for the past few years. Looks like it's paying off. Hopefully, their success on the ice will speed up the sales process. It kills me to hear them being called "The Montreal Expos of hockey."

Now that you mention it, the East is a bit like the minor leagues.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Well Week #3 has just begun. There seem to be a few surprises so far in Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh. Tampa Bay won tonight continuing their undefeated streak that began the first day of the season. Pittsburgh after getting smoked in their opening game has bounced back nicely. They substituted Aubin for Hedberg and the change looks like it is working. A mixed blessing though--good for the health of the franchise but bad because I strongly dislike Lemieux. Anaheim seems to be a bit of a surprise in the West, but will have a more accurate gauge once we get 10 games into the season.

Things will be a little hairy around the house this week and that is because I am playing my brother in the SirSteves fantasy league and he is going to get a thrashing.

rynobot
10-22-2002, 02:30 AM
I think the biggest suprise is that I am not in last place!

Jon
10-23-2002, 06:45 PM
It's amazing how many roster moves I have made these first 3 weeks. It's tough to gauge how players & teams will do so early. So far anyone with a Penguin who plays with Lemieux has to be happy. I guess the biggest surprise so far would be Tampa and the best surprise that I predicted are those Minnesota Wild guys, I'm glad I picked up Gaborik & Fernandez :)

Jon
10-30-2002, 05:37 PM
So who is Talrum & why hasn't Talrum been around? I noticed he has not touched his team since Oct. 7

Looks like for now, anyway, I'm glad I scooped up Fedorov w/ my 1st pick. Hopefully my goaltending will improve though. That is the biggest weakness I have.

I have realized though that when you are in a fantasy league you watch an awful lot more of hockey & score checking in the morning than ever before.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-30-2002, 05:56 PM
I agree. I have been following the boxscores and tickers more closely than ever before.

I am not used to this format of Fantasy Hockey. It was always you had a set amount of $$$ to buy certain players, no matter whoever else in your league or team had them. This format though is competitive and I like it. The only bad part is, that there were a number of good players up for grabs at the beginning of the year and I did not bite at them. Now they seem to have been scooped up, including several goalies I wanted to get my hands on.

Rogue II
10-30-2002, 05:59 PM
I know what you mean. I was fairly happy with my draft, so I didn't want to mess with my players, even though there were some decent free agents. I finally gave up on Sergi Gonchar, who is usually a decent defencemen. I've picked up a couple guys I've never heard before until this season.

Jon
10-30-2002, 08:43 PM
I had a feeling before the season that Minnesota was going to be very good & surprise some people so I got my hands on Gaborik & Fernandez after the initial draft. I was lucky to scoop up one of the Tampa Bay players (Prospal) since they just came out of nowhere. But so far Fedorov is single handedly winning my goals & Power Play Point games for me. Nobody has been able to pull a trade off yet though.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Just a comment in general about the NHL and one on my favorite team:

Attendance seems to be down dramatically in many cities. Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, NYR, Florida, Atlanta, even the hockey mecca city of Toronto and a few other teams are drawing up to 2,500 less fans than they did last year at this point. Some of these teams are top contenders too (Boston, Chicago). You can blame this on a number of things, namely it is early in the season, it is still football season, tickets are too high, the economy is down, some of the teams are struggling.

Scoring, after receiving a boost because of the increase of obstruction calls, seems to be returning to it's normal pace over the last couple of years. That means a lot of boring 2-1, 1-1 hockey games. Instead of tinkering with the players rules every year to try and increase scoring, why not make the nets an inch to a half-inch wider and longer and see what happens?

The Buffalo Sabres seem to have nothing going for them. They are mired in a nine game winless streak. Attendance is way down. There is no owner. There is a lot of mediocre talent. Goaltenders are struggling. The Front Office seems noncommitted to making any change.

I am very scared about the future of the franchise. Nothing is going right for them, in any aspect, right now. However, as much as I dislike Bettman, I do think the NHL is committed to keeping a franchise in Buffalo. There is a strong fan base in the area. It's just there are too many negatives for the fans and you can't expect them to cough up $200 to bring their family to see the current product on the ice. I am afraid to say it, but it looks like this season is already mailed in. Next year, you will see a big push for ticket sales. It might be something similar to what Bills owner Ralph Wilson did a couple of years ago--put an ultimatum to fans to either buy tickets or possibly see the team move elsewhere. Hope it doesn't come to that, but it just might.