PDA

View Full Version : The 2003 Classic Wal-Mart Exclusive is......

Beast
09-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Death Star Trash Compactor Screen Scenes. :D

Hasbro's Star Wars site has the news up, if you know how to look. No pictures yet, but atleast that puts to rest the wondering of what exactly those hinted at exclusives are. Here's the news from the site, and the link to the page. :)

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=85

2003 Wal-Mart Exclusives
Death Star Trash Compactor Sets

Sep 25, 2002
Coming to a Wal-Mart near you is the recreation of the Death Star Trash Compactor scene from A New Hope. The first pack features Luke Skywalker & Han Solo as Luke is battling the dianoga. The second pack features Princess Leia and Chewbacca as Leia tries to stop the walls from closing in by securing a pipe against the wall.

Both packs fit together to create one of the coolest scenes from A New Hope. Look for these at a Wal-Mart store in December/January.

Luke Skywalker & Han Solo
Death Star Trash Compactor
(1 of 2)

Princess Leia & Chewbacca
Death Star Trash Compactor
(2 of 2)

Collect both dioramas and connect them to re-create the Death Star Trash Compactor scene!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Hmm, interesting. So that means that this is the rumored Han and Luke Stormtrooper resculpts and since it is a specific scene, that means no removable helmets.:mad:

Ah well, I'll pass on this one.

Beast
09-23-2002, 02:27 PM
I don't know BigB, they still could include the helmets. After all they included Darth Vader's hand and lightsaber for his "Emperor's Wrath" figure. I'll hold out hope for now that helmets will be included. I'm glad to hear mention of the Dianoga in the sets, hopefully we atleast get a poseable tentacle. We won't know for sure though, until they throw the pictures up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
09-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Cool, though I was hopeing for a vehicle.

They better use Commtech stormie bodies!

Beast
09-23-2002, 02:38 PM
They wouldn't have a vehicle exclusive that early in the year. Hell, I'm suprised that they are getting a figure exclusive that early. Nice sets though, hopefully they look good. I was hoping the screen scenes weren't going to start off as exclusives. But that's how the Cinema Scene line started. :)

As for the Commtech Stormie bodies, that's fine for Han. But Luke's should be modified, since the armor doesn't fit as well on him. Like I said above, I hope that they don't forget helmets and that the dianoga tentacle is poseable. :)

I wish there was a third set, with C-3PO w/ commlink and R2-D2 w/ datalink infront of the interface in the main hanger across from the ship. Since that's also an important part of that scene. And we badly need a new classic C-3PO figure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thespar
09-23-2002, 02:40 PM
could be they had them in the works for this year release but they run out time.

Battle Droid
09-23-2002, 02:45 PM
Pics up now, the figures look to be stuck in that crap and not removable, I hope I'm wrong.

Are they Commtech stormie bodies?

rherk
09-23-2002, 02:55 PM
How dissappointing. Why can't we just have action figures again? I don't want this scene specific crap. Now my chances of getting a nice resculpt of Han and Luke stormtroopers are next to nothing. Sigh, I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Beast
09-23-2002, 02:55 PM
Here's the pictures, just incase Hasbro gets wise and yanks them down. First of all we have the Luke and Han set, with Dianoga Tentacle. The articulation does look similar to the Commetech bodies, judging by the knee on Luke. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
09-23-2002, 02:58 PM
Here's the next picture. The Leia and Chewie looks pretty nice, can't wait for these sets to come out. Especially cool is the fact that the Chewbacca has seperate bandolier. The Leia needs darker hair, but this is a prototype. Hopefully they don't cost anymore then the 25th Anniversary sets. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pegger
09-23-2002, 03:00 PM
After looking at the pics, I don't think there are ANY articulation.

Looks like 25th Anniversary style to me....

Beast
09-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Here's a picture of the two sets hooked together in the open position. It looks like it can be closed together from the next picture to simulate the Compactor walls closing in on our Heroes. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
09-23-2002, 03:03 PM
And here's the hooked together sets in the closed position. Too bad that it doesn't look like we are getting helmets, but I just noticed that Chewbacca's bandolier is finally a seperate piece. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth forb1us
09-23-2002, 03:09 PM
If you look at the sculpt, it looks like there is articulation (In one picture) (In the next..) it appears that this is just a display, a statue so to speak.
I like it, they look pretty good, would be nice if they were priced the same as the 25th anniversary sets.
I will most likely get them (if I like them when I see them) but depending what is out at the time, it might not be at the top of my list.
They look nice though :)

Beast
09-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Yeah, there is definatly articulation but it's hard to make out in most of the pictures. I like the idea that the figures actually fit down into welled out sections of the base, so it looks like they are standing in the muck and crap from the Compactor. The face on Luke is a bit extreme, but it is based on when he's grabbed by the Dianoga and pulled under the muck. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thespar
09-23-2002, 03:22 PM
the should make it look hair look like it did after he was pulled under.

JediTricks
09-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Luke definitely has knee and elbow articulation on at least one leg and arm. Han has at least one knee articulation as well. The elbow articulation on Luke is different from the CTC stormie, this has an actual hinge in it. The figures look removable. The bases are translucent plastic, which is pretty cool. Chewie's arms appear to be permanently bent, which would make them worse than Chewie Chess - plus, this Chewie has a permanently-sideways face. Han's torso appears sculpted at a tilt, so these may be all-new sculpts.

They look good, but I wish these had walls, that'd make it really cool.

Jargo
09-23-2002, 03:45 PM
These are far superior to the other death star sets from the 25th anniversary selection. I have to say i am awed by how fantastic these look even if they are just one pose wonders intended for display not play. I simply have to have these. The bases are cool and the Dianoga tentacle looks great. The figures are great too. I expect to see minor changes in finished production versions but all the same, way to go on these hasbro, you exceeded my expectations on these sets. :)

Looks like 2003 wil be rosey after all..... :happy:

LTBasker
09-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Leia looks like she's very articulated, but she may have swivel joints on her elbows from the look of it. Chewie I don't really care about being a statue, we've got the Saga version right now which I found can hold a POTF2 Bowcaster. Luke and Han looks like they may multi-poseable, and I really hope they include the helmets which they hopefully will for "play value for kids."

I just hope alot of the great detail isn't lost on the actual production pieces.

stad
09-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Yes, I like these unless thru some horrible oversight the figures are not removable-but I don't see Hasbro blowing it that badly. Walls would be easy to customize, so I'm not concerned about that, especially if it keeps the price down around the $15 mark.

Beast
09-23-2002, 03:57 PM
The only problems I see with the sets, are that they are exclusives to Wal-Mart. These are going to be a hell of alot more popular then the Cantina Sets. I hope they aren't going to be to hard to find, because I may want two of each of these. I'm disapointed that we may not get helmets but everything else looks great. Hopefully they sell really well, so that the Screen Scenes become a normal item in the Star Wars line. These so kick arse over Cinema Scenes. :)

I agree with Jargo, 2003 does look like it will be quite rosey. :happy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
09-23-2002, 03:58 PM
Actually you can see the figures will be removeable by the different ways they have Han and Luke in one picture which also has Chewie on their base section.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-23-2002, 04:09 PM
I like it alot!!! so far the 2003 lineup from Hasbro has got me quite giddy. Maybe one of the Hasbro reps was reading the boards and saw what we were complaining about and did some work on it. Granted some stuff still needs work (so, don't chime in and flame me), but it's a good start. Hasbro has my sign of approval! :D

hango fett
09-23-2002, 04:12 PM
looks cool! a must get! well, i know i will!
HH
h

JediBoulton
09-23-2002, 04:15 PM
As mentioned -- I am sorry that there are no helments -- As far as the monster goes -- If we can't get a bendable arm -- can we also get the "eye"?? The figures (I think) look to be removable and have some articulation in the knees and elbows -- but not sure with the rest. I agree with Jedi Tricks -- Walls would make the set much better! If we can get all these figures out of their display and get some articulation -- then this might not be a bad set.

The Overlord Returns
09-23-2002, 04:16 PM
These things look Tres sweet!

A: They do appear to have articulation, and even if chewie is statue lie......he looks great.

B: That has to be the BEST Han likeness I've seen from the looks of this set of pics.

C: even if it is one big cinema scene, what better cinema scene to have ? This is a HUGE moment in the film.

all I have to say is THANK GOD these are a wal mart exclusive, and not target or some other "Only in America" company. I'll actually get a chance at these beauties.

mark2d2
09-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Ugh...where are the walls?
That would have REALLY sold me on the sets.
Without them it's just kind of ...
"Our heroes wandered into a landfill on the otherwise pristine endor prairie..."

Beast
09-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Well, to be realistic it would have to have walls on all 4 sides. So if you don't want to actually see the figures I could understand complaining that there were no walls. But seriously, just print out that background for the trash compactor that has been on Hasbro's site for ages. I like how they did it, since open it looks like they just fell in, and when you close the set it looks like the walls are almost ready to crush them. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
09-23-2002, 04:59 PM
I plan on getting these. Hopefully, they won't be hard to find at Walmart. I'm sure the packaging will have "walls." There appears to be a slot for cardboard walls around the edge of the sets (similar to the Cantina Sets).

Like JJB said, I wish they could have done a 3rd set with R2 and C-3PO w/commlink. I'll be happy with these.

Beast
09-23-2002, 05:07 PM
You're right Rogue II. Thanks for noticing the obvious slots around the outside edge of the sets. That means that there will most likely be a cardboard backdrop for them. The sets are still magnificant, and I hope again that they sell well so that Screen Scenes can make a comeback as a non-exclusive line. There are so many things that would be cool done this way. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
09-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Very nice looking. Let's hope they translate them well into real life, and that they'll hold their accessories better than the 25th Ann figures. Better than a Cinema Scene by far.

The only problem is convincing my wife I need more display space!

stad
09-23-2002, 05:17 PM
They should not be TOO hard to find, anything at Wal-Mart is not very limited.

Darth Vellner
09-23-2002, 05:24 PM
I love them! need to get me some!!|:)

mark2d2
09-23-2002, 05:42 PM
JarJar,

Obviously I don't want the figures sealed away in a four-walled box. However, since the whole point of the scene is that the walls are closing in --- it'd be nice to have them. They could just do it like the sets in a play. You know, removing the fourth wall. I don't think that's too much to ask at all.

Frankly, I'd be more excited if it was just a playset. Screw the figures. They're just more resculpts.

And I don't see how the paper walls will suffice as they are far too flimsy. Besides, paper walls look like paper walls.

Sorry but for all the buildup these new 2003 previews have been getting, I am woefully disappointed.

roger roger
09-23-2002, 06:12 PM
These look really cool! I've wanted something like this for ages. anybody else notice how Chewie looks like a mime pushing up against a invisible wall?:-)

Jargo
09-23-2002, 06:33 PM
Hopefully that Dianoga tentacle is going to be made the same way as the Nexu tail so you can bend it every which way and pose it round Luke better than this here Hasbro picture.
I like bendy stuff and I hope they do the whole Dianoga as a bendy squishy beast sometime.... But a tentacle is a start at least.

Is Luke holding the commlink in his hand that's near his face? Looks like he's screaming into it at C-3PO. That'd be cool if he is. :)

Beast
09-23-2002, 06:45 PM
I hope that the Dianoga tentacle is poseable as well, Jargo. That would be the only flaw that I can see in the set so far, if the tentacle isn't poseable. I wouldn't mind seeing it removable as well, but again that is a minor problem. :)

I think your right about Luke, Jargo. He definatly looks like he's holding somthing in his hand. If it's the commlink then that is another plus to add to the set. Damn, I sure hope we see more of the Screen Scene sets in the future. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
09-23-2002, 06:56 PM
What makes anyone think that the figures are removable? It looks to me lke that they are stuck in there.

Jargo
09-23-2002, 07:30 PM
The depth of the bases suggests that the lower legs and feet pass through them rather than the figures just being anchored at the knee :) What would be the point of selling action figures that were stuck to the base....?

I just noticed after messing around with the images all this time that Chewbacca does have what looks to be a removable bandolier. YIPPEE! and BOOOO! nice touch but it's going to take some customising to get a chewbacca that has articulation and a removbable bandolier. Like, take the arms and head off the Bespin captive Chewie and add them to this new one and get the best Chewie ever. Why is it that all the cool bits are spread over several figures and never consolidated into just one figure? Not that I won't buy this, but it would be nice to get articulation in the knees and arms and a removable bandolier so you could squish a chewie into a vehicle.

Here's a blown up pic of the new chewie which I've marked to show the shadow where the straps are not part of the main sculpt but seperate overlayed pieces.

Emperor Howdy
09-23-2002, 08:43 PM
I'll have to go with my first reaction, which was: "Cool!" :D I guess I could pick it apart, but why? Overall it's a creative new piece......and, like someone else mentioned, it's a huge part of the movie. They'll probably be packaged in the same way as the 25th Ann. figs, window box and all, with cardboard "walls". I'm looking forward to seeing the finished goodies.

BTW, are you positive the bandolier's seperate? What if they're just paying closer attention to detail, and actually molded the "space" between Chewy and the ba.....wait a minute? What the hell is a matter with me? :confused:

"paying closer attention to detail"?.............:D.........Good one!! :D

Old Fossil
09-23-2002, 10:25 PM
I'll have to wait until I see this thing in person before passing judgment. Too many 'ifs' with just the pictures to go by.

Jayspawn
09-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Pardon my late enterance. I think they look very cool. Great idea Hasbro! I hope they come with helmets though.

2-1B
09-24-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Frankly, I'd be more excited if it was just a playset. Screw the figures. They're just more resculpts.

I agree with Mark.
As a playset, it shows some real potential, but I don't care one bit about the figures.

Throw in 3 walls and some articulated debree with that tentacle and I'd find it quite exciting. :)

droidekas2
09-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Cant they just make it to the nth degree.

A: Include some loose plastic trash pieces for us to scatter about the set.

B: Give a complete dionaga, since we will obviously never be getting a Death Star Playset or another Trash Compactor.

C: Give Han and Luke alot of articulation, Commtech style.

D: Include Han and Luke's stormtrooper helmets, not on them but in a bag somewhere in the box so that we can take L + H and put them elsewhere too.

E: Include at least one plastic wall, like the one Chewie and Leia are reacting to.

Are those few extra nice details to much to ask for. Just make the stuff the right way, how hard is it.
I would like to do a few things with my toys, not just set it up there on a shelf and leave it exactly as they have it.
The poses look to be very like the 25th Anniversary sets.

187-Maul
09-24-2002, 09:45 AM
my first expression when I saw them was WOW
I still really like the han and luke set, but am not that excited over the second set
I'll probably only buy the luke set, I mean did you see the head of that solo ? he looks so friggin awesome, best ANH han head sculpt ever!

OriginalBryGuy
09-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Remember Do not play IN, ON, or AROUND the trash compactor!

heh heh

evenflow
09-24-2002, 11:18 AM
I have to say that these look really awesome and i can't wait to get them. This, in a way is somethign i have been asking for. I hope that a dianoga is next on the list. It is cool they included part of it though.

JEDIpartner
09-24-2002, 11:47 AM
I like it, but it is more like the 25th anniversary sets than an actual playset... so, it kinda bites. :(

Sinister Lord
09-25-2002, 08:33 AM
It's ok... the figures are a bit redundant, but I will probably buy these ones if the price is reasonable. I'm a little bummed that it isn't a Trash compactor "playset" (with walls that close in) like I was hoping for, but it's acceptable. More mediocrity from Hasbro.

Fixer
09-25-2002, 01:40 PM
These have potential, but we'll see. As for helmets, I'm guessing that if you don't see it in the pix, we aren't getting it (with the exception of some carboard cutout backdrops). Han looks interesting, but I'm afraid of that big feathered 'do (a little too Shawn Cassidy). Chewie looks pretty nice. Luke, as usual, looks pretty goofy. But why, oh why can't anyone sculpt a decent 3 3/4" scale Carrie Fisher head? (The 1977 version, not the giant 2002 version ;) )

bigbarada
09-25-2002, 01:54 PM
Well, now that I have seen all the pictures, I must say these look really awesome. I like the sculpts of the figures best of all, even if the Luke and Han don't come with removable helmets. I think Chewie looks the coolest though.

The more I look at it, the more I think that Dianoga tentacle looks bendy. It's hard to tell right now though, it just looks a little blunt on the end, like the Nexu tail. Time will tell, I guess.

The Overlord Returns
09-25-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Fixer
Han looks interesting, but I'm afraid of that big feathered 'do (a little too Shawn Cassidy).

But that IS how his hair looked in the movie.

corporal AMF
09-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Well, maybe the helmets are in the same place they put them on the movie............(anyone wonder that?)

This means hasbro is still thinking in collectors (:rolleyes: somehow:p )

bigbarada
09-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by corporal AMF
Well, maybe the helmets are in the same place they put them on the movie............(anyone wonder that?)

They were left up in the detention level. Han set his down on the computer console just before answering the commlink and Luke probably left his is Leia's cell. They definitely didn't jump down the garbage shute with them.

Thus since this set is so scene specific, it is doubtful that we will see these guys with removable helmets. That's really not such a big deal, since the sculpts look cool enough that I am willing to forgive it.:)

Hopefully, Hasbro has plans for more sets like this, I could go on for days listing scenes I would like to see immortalized in plastic.:cool: