PDA

View Full Version : Revvin' it to the next...

Co Jo-Da
10-27-2001, 12:20 AM
Making Episode II Part VII.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

With hyperdrives, repulsorlifts and ion engines aplenty, the high-tech Star Wars universe would seem to have little in common with an archaic aircraft like the Vickers Vimy bi-plane. The World War I-era bomber may look like an antique, but as a wise Jedi once said, your eyes may deceive you; don't trust them.

The usefulness of this plane lay not in its looks, but in its sounds. The Star Wars films are always rich in aural phenomena. Sound experts like Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood are tasked with collecting real-world sounds to double as otherworldly noises. In doing this, they have traveled all over the world and recorded all manner of bizarre things.

This documentary spotlights one of their latest discoveries. So buckle up, strap on your goggles, and turn up your speakers.

Some very cool sound effects in there plus if listen closely at the beginning and end you can hear new music, possibly for Episode II.

bigbarada
10-27-2001, 12:36 AM
I guess I can get into the whole plane thing, but so far I think this is the most boring of all the documentaries. Pity it's the only one that plays glitch free on my computer.:mad:

Although was that a shot of the Jedi Starfighter in an asteroid field in the background? Y'know when that sound collector guy is just sitting there talking in the studio? Sweet!

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-27-2001, 11:39 AM
tell me about it! i nearlly fell asleep. couldn't they have some shots with the charaters acting and then them adding sound?

Jargo
10-27-2001, 06:52 PM
I download the high bandwidth version over my 56k connection which takes about two hours. I wait until saturdat so I can get a clear connection via my crappy ISP who take too much traffic exept when the football is on telly. I waited all that time - for this?

Don't get me wrong I love these documentaries, but this was just a guy blathering on about how he was gonna record some plane noises and then him talking us through recording some plane noises and talking about how he recorded some plane noises.... Okay so it wasn't quite that interisting. The shot of the Jedi starfighter in the asteroid field was cool and the musical soundtrack was cool. Did we really need them to do this section? They could have made the same feature about nine times shorter with the actual amount of real information they put into it. Bad documentary making at it's worst.

As I say, I'm usually happy with these things but not this time. Yawn factor nine Mr. Sulu.....

Co Jo-Da
10-27-2001, 10:11 PM
I wonder if anyone could place the music at the beginning and end, it sounded like new Star Wars music for Episode II. I know I'm asking you to suffer through again but please let me know what you think or am I digging to deep into it.

Jargo
10-28-2001, 08:43 AM
The music at the begining is the music from ANH when the X-wings begin their attack on the death star. The music at the end is from ANH when the death star explodes. And you call yourself a fan? ;) It was very quiet so it's not hard to think it was new music but it's definately the music cues above. :)

Eternal Padawan
10-28-2001, 09:06 AM
Don't feel bad Co-Jo Da. I had the same thought when I heard that music at the beginning. But Williams won't begin scoring for another 3 or 4 months unfortunately. Well, we can PRETEND it's new music and get excited...

Co Jo-Da
10-28-2001, 09:12 AM
I thought I was digging to deep into it but oh well...