PDA

View Full Version : the honourable AT-AT Driver

Old Fossil
09-23-2002, 10:10 PM
I think the AT-AT Driver is one of the best figures in the POTF2 line. Reasons:

1. A killer sculpt. Marvellous detail, down to the hoses, control panel, helmet, etc.

2. A nice neutral pose. He can stand at attention, or fit into the cockpit of the AT-AT with no difficulty.

3. There are 2 versions with slight differences: the carded and the pack-in. I like the pack-in one better, since it seems to stand a bit straighter than the carded version. However, I like the fact that the Driver has some height variation and a bit of difference on the helmets. Subtleties like that make for nice dioramas.

I have four of these, 2 from FF cards (liberated) and 2 from pack-ins. Will probably get more in the future. I only wish there were a little bit more articulation, like that of the CommTech Stormtrooper; but it's still a great figure, one of my all-time favorites.

What are your thoughts on this figure?

stormie
09-24-2002, 12:24 PM
I also like the pack-in version better - for many of the same reasons you pointed out. I'd also point out that the carded version is the taller of the two (by quite a bit) and has the darker boots (relatively speaking). Yes, definitely two great figures, of which I'm glad we have two distinctly different versions. :)

jjreason
09-27-2002, 11:56 AM
I was having an inordinate amount of difficulty telling the two apart (I have one of each, both loose). Thanks for the tips on doing that. These are super great figures, as are pretty much all of the faceless imperials from 95 on.

In a related topic, how great is the glossy black finish on the Death Star gunner and TIE Pilot figures? Looks perfect. Id like new versions of all of these figures so that I could increase my numbers a little without breaking the bank.

Turbowars
09-28-2002, 10:21 AM
Old AT-AT Driver has always been one of the best POTF2 figures and also one of the best 12" There's just something about him, I can't put my finger on it, but I just like him. It's probably the detail.

Old Fossil
09-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Stormie, are you sure about the carded version being taller? I was sure the taller one was the pack-in. Doesn't the carded one have a red stripe on the back of his helmet? If so, then my carded one (actually it is loose) is shorter than the pack-in Driver.

I cannot tell a difference in the boots, though the detail on the carded Driver's boots is a bit more distinct.

bigbarada
09-28-2002, 11:56 PM
Apart from the Stormtrooper and Royal Guard, the Imperials were always some of the best looking figures of the pre-Ep1 POTF2 line. AT-AT Driver, TIE Pilot, Gunner and the Snowtrooper were all awesome.

The AT-AT Driver has been one of my favorite figures since the vintage line. Probably because he drove my favorite vehicle.:)

Both the 3 3/4" and 12" POTF2 versions still hold their own to this day. Although I have never owned a carded AT-AT Driver. Just the two that came with my AT-AT (I had to send the Commander back to Kenner because of major paint splotches on his face and they sent me another Driver in exchange).

stormie
09-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Uh oh, now you're getting me confused. I thought the carded one was taller, but it's extremely possible that I'm wrong. Time to dig 'em up and do a more thorough examination! ;) I'll let you know what I find. :D

stormie
10-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Yes, I was definitely wrong. The carded one is the shorter of the two, and, like you said, has the red stripe on the back of the helmet. I think I always get confused because the pack-in goes with the AT-AT so I assume it's supposed to be smaller. I also noticed that my pack-in version had shiny shoulder pads, whereas the carded version had more of a flat finish. Hopefully I'll be able to keep these two straight from now on. :D

Hopefully...

Old Fossil
10-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Cool, Stormie. I had fun comparing my Drivers, though! I need to get me a couple more...

Jayspawn
10-12-2002, 02:03 AM
I like both versions of the AT-AT Driver. Its a great figure, and the detail is amazing. And its probably one of my favorite POTF figures.