PDA

View Full Version : Smallville's Season 2 Premier is tonight!

Tycho
09-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Clark has to rescue Lana in her pickup truck which has been carried off into a massive tornado!

Are his powers going to be revealed?

Johnathon took off into the tornado to stop (kill?) the reporter who could expose his son as an alien (the jerk that blew up the Kent's truck).

Lionell Luthor fired everyone in Smallville's plant and Lex is trying to get his employees to buy out his father's stock. But Lionell bought the Smallville bank!

Chloe's dad lost his job, and unless Lex can save them from his father's wrath, they'll have to leave town and look for work in Metropolis.

If Clark chooses Lana over Chloe, she'll never speak to him again.

Lana could be single now though, as Whitney left the show (as a regular) to go and join the Marine Corps so he could make her proud and have a job so he could marry her after she finishes High School.

Everything could come together for Clark getting his best opportunities he always wanted, or everything in Smallville could be torn apart! There's more than 1 tornado ;)

scruffziller
09-24-2002, 02:53 PM
My RePlay TV IS SET!!!!!

Originally posted by Tycho

Lex can save them from his father's wrath.

You mean.....Will he let his father DIE??!!!!!!!:evil:

Tycho
09-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Well, I know they're not going to kill Lionell Luther off, but that doesn't mean Lex comes to his rescue.

If he doesn't, it will really make the father-and-son situation there a LOT worse.

When do you think Lex will turn completely evil? He probably isn't completely evil, but turns totally self-centered and anti-Clark.

Since Chloe is Lois Lane's cousin, do you think they'll ever kill her character off?

If they do, I don't think it will happen until the 4th season or about that much later.

I bet that reporter from the Inquisitor gets killed, but I doubt the writers will let Johnathon Kent murder him.

Any predictions? We only have 4 hours until show time here in California!

scruffziller
09-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Just watched it AWESOME........ I can't wait for the rest of the season. Hope they build upon the......incident of willing himself to the truck.........

Tycho
09-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Yes it was awesome. I don't think Clark is going to fly.

At Comic Con I went to the Smallville event they had and we talked with the producers.

They resist having Clark learn to fly during the scope of the show.

Man, the interaction between Johnathon and Roger Nixon was awesome! John really restrained himself from killing that jerk, huh?

How does Lex get away with shooting him? You can't just happen to carry a concealed weapon around with you. Maybe he has a permit. But shouldn't there still be a trial?

The "Club Zero Consequences" story was never clear. I don't know if Lex has ever killed anyone before. Let alone had witnesses he didn't buy off or then get rid of later. (He won't touch Clark or Johnathon Kent)

Do you think Roger Nixon is really dead? Or do you think it was faked - like some sort of stun device and a rubber bullet? They put him in a body bag, but the paramedics might have been owned by Luthorcorp. Meanwhile, if Nixon lives, Lex could learn everything.

Lana Lang already knows. She should be really ticked at Clark for lying to her - but she also can't be because he saved her life and she knows it. The producers said Clark and Lana were really soul-mates meant for each other, as in some interpretations it doesn't work out for Clark (and later - after Smallville, Lois Lane)

However, the characters keep screwing up. Chloe's "let's just be friends" thing blew her chances right there. That's no one's fault but her own. But Clark was always into Lana and she knows that.

Whatever Clark is going to do with that hot chick they showed for next week's show will tick off both Cloe and Lana. What's worse? The chick looks like Alexis (name?) Lex Luthor's ex-girlfriend!!!

Speaking of Lex, Clark no longer trusts him any more. He only redeemed himself by saving Johnathon, but all the Kents should know better now!

And is Lionell Luthor really blind? Or will he pay someone for some miracle cure? Or heal himself? He's going to be a main character on the show now, so that could be a big change for the way Glover plays his character. He was brilliant in the hospital! That was downright scary!

I feel so bad for Lex. He wants to be a good guy but the world just seems set against him.

Wow! There's so much going on in Smallville. I have a feeling this will keep being a better and better show!

bigbarada
09-25-2002, 05:23 PM
I'm kind of a latecomer to this show, but it is awesome! I think that Nixon guy is dead, if you remember, we saw the bullet hole from the front with blood coming out. So, unless it was an elaborate hoax, I would assume he is dead as a doornail. With as powerful and rich Lex is, I doubt he would ever see the inside of a courtroom, much less a jailhouse, for shooting someone. He probably has people on his payroll who specialize in covering up crimes (similar to that dude from Pulp Fiction).

I was hesitant at first to even watch this show, but thanks to Sithdroid's recommendation I am now hooked!:cool:

Tycho
09-25-2002, 06:27 PM
I saw the original episode in my comic book store when I was picking up the latest Star Wars.

I got so invested in the characters!!!

First I was curious what John Schneider was doing these days, as I'm an old Duke's of Hazzard fan. Man has he grown as an actor!

Then I saw Lana and fell in love of course! Geeze is she hot!

Then I also took to Chloe! She's just adorable!

But Lex! Michael Rosenbaum can ACT! He is so convincing and you really LIKE his character. He's so not the villain character. His fall to the dark side of things is going to be so painful!

Clark is great. They cast him perfect for his role. And I'm also glad to see Mr. Glover added to the permanent cast as Lex's father!

If they take this show to its limits, it will out-do anything ever done with Super Heroes!

The writers have taken over the Spiderman movie franchise and will be doing the next movie with Toby McGuire and Kirsten Dunst - though their chemistry can't even stand up to Smallville's even with Smallvilles writers and producers doing Spiderman now.

Next, young Bruce Wayne (yes Batman) will get involved in the show this season (possibly in some dirty business with Lex Luthor) and Clark is going to recommend the tortured rich kid goes and gets some psychiatric counseling. Don't know if it will pan out this way, but I'm sure Lex has investments in Gotham.

However hokey the plot might sound, Smallville finds a way to do the story REAL and HARDCORE! This show is awesome!

BIGBARADA: once again we find we have similar interests just like what we find we have in common in collecting Star Wars. I wonder how long it will take LtBasker and JarJar, JediClint and others to become fans of Smallville. JediTricks will be here, too. He also enjoys the show.

JediTricks
09-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Too much soap opera gobbledygook, but an otherwise solid effort. They will have Clark flying within 2 seasons, the WB will demand it, I can feel it in muh bones.

It was defending another person's life, the police wouldn't need to arrest Lex for it. I wonder if Nixon told Lex anything before he died, there was a little room for it.

What the heck was that ad for "Birds of Prey"?!? Are they really silly enough to try and pull off a Batman spin-off like this, and if so, will it be Elseworlds?

Tycho
09-25-2002, 11:22 PM
I'm going to watch the first episode of Birds of Prey (but when the heck is it?!!!) - please post if you know.

I'll give it a chance. I hope there's a balanced cast - that means not all females. Otherwise this is going to play like Charlie's Angels.

Even so, I still might root for the bad guys. After I see how this show goes, my opinion might be that The Joker should have finished the job!

(if you know the legend, you'll know what I'm talking about!)

JediTricks
09-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Birds of Prey "coming in 2 weeks". It looks super hokey, having the lead character (what is she, the Huntress?) scramble up that wall reminded me of what makes Mutant X a "cute" show and not a "good" show.

Beast
09-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Sadly I haven't seen "Smallville", thinking about ordering the Series Premiere 2 Episode Set DVD from Canada. It's not on in my area, and it looks like I'm not going to see "Birds of Prey" either. Excuse me while I go thank my crappy cable company and local stations. I can't even watch "Enterprise". I missed almost the entire first season. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
09-25-2002, 11:32 PM
JEDITRICKS: Thanks and I agree with you. I'm very skeptical.
I think with Smallville they have a hit, and now they think everything and anything could work. That's not true. With Smallville they had both luck, a great cast, and talented writers. To pull that off over and over again with every superhero is not always going to work. I still say even Spiderman the movie's cast doesn't match Smallville's, so there's more to it than a budget. I could care less if Birds of Prey is a good show. I am interested in trying it out for a show or two. We'll see where it goes from there.

JARJARBINKS: I'm sorry you don't get this show (Smallville). I'm pretty sure you'll like it. The DVD's are worth getting as I think I might buy them also - and I've seen the episodes!

bigbarada
09-26-2002, 12:20 AM
I've only seen like two episodes of last season. So which season is this right now? 2 or 3? I am happy to hear of a DVD collection of season 1, just another reason on my list to buy a DVD player.:)

I was vehemently opposed to this show from the very beginning, it only took me one viewing of a single episode to make me a fan. I had too many flashbacks of Lois & Clark when I first heard of the concept for Smallville, I'm glad my misgivings were all proven false.

This show totally blows away everything that has been done on TV and in movies. (Superman 1 and 2 were okay, but nothing more, I never liked Christopher Reeve as Superman)

Beast
09-26-2002, 12:28 AM
All I heard so far on DVD BigB was that it's the first 2 episodes as a Pilot, and thats only available from Canada. It has Audio Commentary with the cast and crew, if I recall correctly. As well as deleted scenes and some making of featurette. Lemme dig up what I read about it really quickly and then I'll post here the info. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
09-26-2002, 12:47 AM
The following is from www.tvshowsondvd.com. The Deleted Scenes info is from Home Theater Forum. TVshowsonDVD suggests Videoflicks.com to order from. Note that the info is from before it came out, and the Full Frame info is incorrect as far as I know. I've been reading it's actually 1.78:1 and 16x9 Enhanced. :D

Here is all the information from the press release I was sent. It looks like this "Smallville" DVD is Canadian only. If I discover any information about a US release I will post it to the site. The DVD will contain the Pilot and "Metamorphosis" which were broadcast together in some areas as a TV movie.

Growing up is tough for any teenager. But it's even tougher when you have mysterious super powers you don't understand and must not reveal to others - powers that keep you from fitting in with the everday high school and dating. Teenage anxieties and smalltown secrets give the Superman mythology an exciting new spin in Smallville. Tom Welling plays Clark Kent, the adolescent whose hoped for romance with Lana Lang is frustrated by the kryptonite in her necklace. Michael Rosenbaum is Clark's self-proclaimed steadfast friend Lex Luthor. Inside the idyllic community of Smallville, the intertwined destinies of these three begin to take shape while an imminent danger emerges: a high-school prank has spawned a vengeful villain who has acquired super powers of his own.

Length: 91 mins
Aspect Ratio: 16x9, Full Frame
Audio: English - Dolby Digital 5.1, French - Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish - 2.0
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
UPC: English Packaging: 0-85396-07392-0, French Packaging: 0-85396-07401-9
Features: Audio Commentary By - Producers Alfred Gough & Miles Millar and Pilot Director David Nutter; Interactive Map of Smallville Storyboard to Screen; Interactive Menus; Trailer; Scene Access.
Street Date: June 4, 2002

Another day, another tidbit regarding the "Smallville" DVD release. I've spoken to Warner Bros. Home Video Canada and they confirm that it is a Canadian only release (which we had figured out anyway). I also found out that the deleted scenes found on the UK release WILL be included and last approx 7 mins. Also, the cover art that has been floating around is a fake since the artwork hasn't been finalized yet. If you look at the spine you can see the HBO logo beneath the DVD symbol. I should have the finalized artwork by the end of the week and I'll post it on the site.

FYI, the deleted scenes are:

00:00:06:21 | DELETED SCENES
00:01:20:01 | ROSS' AT THE CREAMED CORN FACTORY - PILOT EPISODE
00:00:18:24 | JOCKS AND THEIR TRUCKS - PILOT EPISODE
00:00:42:06 | PRINCIPAL KWAN CONFRONTS JEREMY - PILOT EPISODE
00:00:53:16 | LEX MEETS GABE SULLIVAN IN THE FERTILIZER PLANT - PILOT EPISODE
00:00:47:03 | PETE AND CHLOE OUTSIDE OF THE HOMECOMING DANCE - PILOT EPISODE
00:00:54:17 | PETE HAS BREAKFAST WITH THE KENTS
00:01:28:05 | MARTHA AND JONATHAN DISCUSS CLARK'S POWERS

Here's a couple reviews that I could find of the DVD. :)
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/tv/reviews/smallville-dvd.html
http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreviewsmark/smallvilledvd.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-26-2002, 01:06 AM
Canada only? What's the deal?

Hopefully the American version will be a collection of the complete season.

Beast
09-26-2002, 01:12 AM
It's Canadian only, so they can get around the never sufficiantly damned syndication rights. They consider releasing a show on DVD, while the show is still valuable in syndication unacceptable. So it's usually around 4-5 years before a TV show can be released on DVD. There are exceptions, but it is the major cause of problem for TV shows. It sucks, but them is the breaks. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
09-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
This show totally blows away everything that has been done on TV and in movies. (Superman 1 and 2 were okay, but nothing more, I never liked Christopher Reeve as Superman) I never liked Christopher Reeve as Supes either, m'self. Especially after I heard he publicly said that comic books were akin to toilet paper right after he was cast as Superman.

Ever see the live-action Superboy show? That was pretty lame IMO, worse than the '50s Superman tv show. I thought Lois & Clark was ok, but faded by season 3.

JetsAndHeels
09-27-2002, 11:57 AM
You know I would have to chime in here, Tycho. I think you started a thread earlier about Smallville that we talked about it in.
First of all, I have loved the show since the start. Being a lifelong Superman fan, I was totally excited when I first heard they were doing this show. Seeing it on TV and enjoying it so much made me that much more excited.
The season 2 premiere picked up right where season 1 left off, and I dont mean just storywise. The quality of the show seems to get better every week. Even in the long "off season" I still had to be at home at 9pm on Monday and Tuesday nights, just to see episodes I had already viewed before.
Now that the new season is here, we can all look forward to the new plots and storylines. Its a great time to be a Smallville fan.

Tycho
09-28-2002, 12:33 AM
I know JangoFett96!

It does seem like every episode keeps getting better and better!

Clark and Lex finally had a conflict in the last episode and Clark's not so naive anymore. The tension there, as well as the way Tom Welling upped the bar by adding more dimension - even anger to his character - with his father missing being the perfect motivation!

Smallville amazes me! I've even got my mother regularly watching the show!

Darth Cruel
09-28-2002, 02:20 AM
I have been a fan of this show from the gate. I knew from the first time I saw the preview for the pilot that this was destined to be the greatset angle done on Superman to date. And even though Superman is only my fifth or sixth favorite hero, this is definitely my favorite super hero show/movie by far. And it rates third overall of all time behind LOTR and Star Wars. And I am looking forward more every day to MR giving us some time on the silver screen. But I hope they don't ruin Smallville by giving us "Smallville: The Movie".

Watching this show is an event for me each week (except reruns) and I missed the season premier due to a family emergency so I thank you all for filling me in.

JediTricks
09-28-2002, 03:22 AM
Tom Welling is already starting to look his age IMO, he definitely looks so much more mid-twenties than he did last season. IMO, they should be prepping him to actually play Superman on the big screen soon, just complete the cycle and get it over with.

JetsAndHeels
09-28-2002, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't object to having Tom Welling play Superman in a movie. His acting talent has impressed me so much. I think he has done an outstanding job in the role as a young Clark Kent.
As far as a new Superman movie, I am really anticipating it, whenever it happens. We really need to see a modern Superman movie since the technology is so much better now than in the 70's and early 80's. I think it would really be an amazing film if it would actually get made. Seems like every time it is considered something stops it from happening.

Tycho
09-28-2002, 06:59 PM
I'd love a Superman movie with the Smallville cast, but I agree with what's been said.

If they re-start a Superman movie franchise with this group, I don't want them to do Smallville the movie with the Smallville cast.

USE THIS CAST! But do Superman.

They can incorporate clips from the TV show into a feature film movie if they want to show how Jonathon and Martha got Clark, what his conncections to Lex and Lana are, etc.

As they are getting older, it'd be ridiculous to have them continuosly play high school characters.

We all like the episodes, but let's take it to Metropolis for a movie and just use the Smallville cast.

Meanwhile, there's nothing wrong with this TV show. It keeps getting better and better!

Darth Cruel
09-28-2002, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I can get with a Superman movie with this cast as opposed to a Smallville movie. But they would need to tread lightly to keep from making the Superman movie a renamed "Smallville: The Movie".

JediTricks
09-29-2002, 03:52 PM
There's no way I'd accept clips from the show inserted into a Superman movie, they'd have to refilm them with a MOVIE director on MOVIE filmstock instead - there is a huge difference and one that television shooting just can't capture the grandure of.

Tycho
09-30-2002, 12:32 AM
JediTricks, maybe they need to film some stuff (just basic storyline stuff) with this cast on filmstock now then.

Just in case they're going to make movies.

If it is a general audience Superman, not just for Smallville fans alone - they'll need to re-explain where Tom Welling's Clark comes from.

He'll be much too old to reshoot the "scarecrow" scene and shots of him and Lex as friends when they were young if they wait too long. 3-4 more years might already be too long.

They can film this stuff on their current sets while they shoot the regular television show. It would cost them less than doing special shooting I'd think. - They could use stuff from scripts for current shows.

Meanwhile, at a lower cost, it would be less of a financial risk in case they never use it.

At comic con, the producers / writing team showed they have Smallville prettty well thought out. Evidence of the quality of the show supports that.

Now I just want to see them really thinking ahead. Then it could go smoothely. We'd see a film with Tom Welling as Superman 4-5 years from now, (in this film 4-5 years from now) AND we'd see new footage made with Tom Welling TODAY shot for release that much later.

What do you think about that idea? It's not like this show is unsuccessful ;)

JediTricks
09-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Nah, let them film the scene when they're filming the actual movie so the director's vision is what's on screen and not WB's collective opinion of what should be there. They can CG Welling's wrinkles off his face if need be.

Personally, I don't think the scarecrow shot was really a formative part of Clark Kent anyway, neither on the series nor in the canon.

Beast
09-30-2002, 06:57 PM
I don't think including shots from the TV version as a flashback to Superman's origins is all that unrealistic, JediTricks. After all in the 80's and 90's a lot of TV movies were shown theatrically overseas. "V", "V: The Final Battle", "Duel", "IT", Manhunter", etc. etc. etc. So TV movies can be projected successfully. Plus, they can explain away the TV footage not matching the film stock, by making it a flashback told by Ma or Pa Kent, and just give it the blurry flashback look around the edges. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
09-30-2002, 07:47 PM
From a technical standpoint, absolutely they could do it, I just don't think they should. Heck, I'm not even 100% sure they're not shooting on filmstock right now for the show, but shooting for TV and shooting for cinema are 2 different things and I think TV-style filming doesn't have what it takes to be on-par with what we deserve from the cinema.

Tycho
09-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Well I for one am glad we have this high-quality show that we can sit debating the possibility of movies over!

Here's to many more successful seasons of Smallville!

Tycho
10-02-2002, 01:32 PM
Another great episode of Smallville was on last night.

I want to be in Clark's high school biology class!

So how much do you think happened between Desire and Johnathon Kent?

So Clark can shoot laser beams out of his eyes only when he thinks about sex?

Does anyone think the x-ray eyes effect was a little cheapened? To not show the beams, only the fire starting, would have been better?

I know that would have looked more psycho-kinetic than laser vision, but....

Martha Kent telling off Lex Luthor was a great scene.

Somehow when Chloe and Lana went to see Clark in jail, I thought about everyone having "women in prison" fantasies.

I know it was supposed to be summers' heat in Smallville, but the writers and the directors had to like showing a lot of all the girls' skin, nice, hot, and wet, huh? Nothing gets by me... :stupid:

Finally, was this girl just a nympho-turned-gold-digger? How did she discover her abilities? A spin-off series about her in college and getting her teaching credentials would make a great series! They could put it on the USA network. It would go with their other shows. But uh...I guess I WOULD watch it!:D

So is Clark going to remain a virgin? I mean really - it looks like in next week's episode Lana learns everything: about the ship, that he's an alien, and probably ties the meteor shower into the death of her parents.

At Comic Con the producers said that Lana was Clark's soul-mate. In some versions of the legend, she learns (and keeps) his secret. Is that going to happen in this show now? To keep them from getting together? Because by now with Whitney out of the picture, Lana should go for Clark if he can't make a move on her without setting the house on fire. Maybe they should go for their first date on the lake. That'd solve everything!

JediTricks
10-02-2002, 04:50 PM
The use of those ripples for the heat vision looked pretty cheeseball. That was always the least-believable power for Supes, I thought, and the show really put it out in that manner.

In the ep, after practicing, Clark confirms that he no longer has to think about sex to get the heat vision going.

I didn't like how the time difference between last week's ep and this week's ep was so quickly brushed off - no "3 months later" text or anything. I also didn't like the villian, she was just lame IMO and her "pheremone breath" effect looked way cheesier than most of what they put out there.

BTW, could you please dial back the sex-talk? This is still an all-ages forum and we don't want to get in trouble.

bigbarada
10-03-2002, 12:03 AM
Geez, JT, are you just super critical about everything? I don't see the need to go bashing all the effects of the show as stupid, they were fine with me. I think you just expect too much from this kind of show.

Tycho
10-03-2002, 12:14 AM
I love the show, but I agree with JT's opinion about the 2 effects:

phermone breath

and

laser vision.

They could have done no effects and explained what was happening. It would have been more realistic.

As it stands, it wasn't THAT bad, but overall, the episode was great. I did think she was a worthy villain. Women always are. (I have an attitude I'm keeping in check with only making that comment).

As to JT's question about how risque my post was. I'm looking at that. It's not unduly educating anyone.

To point out that perhaps nothing need be done, the show was PG enough to air on general television and a ton of grade school age kids probably watch that program too. Desire taught all the biology lessons already. I'm doing nothing there.

The directors made some decisions on this episode that took it in a blantantly obvious direction.

My guess is that the majority of people checking out a Smallville thread on this site watched the show. They know what's up already - and last night they were given some new things to think about.

scruffziller
10-03-2002, 07:45 AM
Don't forget that he still has the "kiss them and they forget" power to discover. Does it seem to anyone that the situations that constitute hostility between Lex and the rest are getting more intense regardless of all the previous misunderstandings that created them?

SithDroid
10-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Ok, I must have missed this thread and have now just recently caught up with it.

Bigbarada - I'm glad that you are enjoying the show.

I also remember in a previous thread that I suggested that for the new Superman movie they should have Tom Welling play him and that it should coincide with the show, but almost nobody seemed to agree with me. Now it is good to see that at least a couple people here like the idea as well.

As for this season, I think it is great. Next weeks episode looks to be like a really good one. Does Sam discover Clark's secret? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully Lana and Clark will get together this season seeing as Lana is now "hopefully" breaking things off with Whitney. That is the only thing I hate about the show. It is clearly obvious that Lana is flirting with Clark, even in the first season. I could never understand why Lana wanted to be with Whitney. He tied Clark up in the field and was a complete jerk for most of the season. Clark saved Lana how many times? If I were her I'd seriously re-evaluate my relationship.

Someone mentioned that they think that Tom Welling is showing his true age. I would have to disagree. He certainly doesn't look like a 15 year old, but he could pass for 17 or 18. Heck I myself am 25 and, being an actor, I play 16 year olds all the time because I look so young. The one person on the cast that really did not look his age was Whitney. He definately looked like he was 25-26.

Also Birds of Prey will probably be a ridiculous show. How the WB managed to completely destroy the Batman franchise is beyond me.

bigbarada
10-03-2002, 12:47 PM
I do think Tom Welling will make an excellent Superman in a film.

About the criticisms of the "lame effects," I guess I just don't take this kind of show so seriously. It's obviously about a alien boy who lives on earth with superhuman powers. So a little unrealism to make the show more visually interesting is fine by me. Something had to tell the audience that something supernatural was happening when that woman was kissing Luthor and Mr. Kent. Otherwise most of the audience would never pick up on the fact that anything abnormal was going on. And the idea that Mr. Kent could so easily be seduced by just any pretty girl would seriously detract from the integrity of his character.

I liked the "heat-vision" effect too, just because it looked so cool.:)

JediTricks
10-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Geez, JT, are you just super critical about everything? I don't see the need to go bashing all the effects of the show as stupid, they were fine with me. I think you just expect too much from this kind of show. You misunderstand my previous comments, I was bagging on them because the series up until then had pulled off TONS of great effects and I was shocked by how much worse those were than the usual fare - my expectations were based upon what they had delivered up till now. I didn't complain about the truck looking phoney in last week's ep, did I?

As to JT's question about how risque my post was. I'm looking at that. It's not unduly educating anyone. There was no question in my mind as to how risque your post was because as an all-ages site, SSG has to be more careful of such things lest we get in trouble with parental watchdog groups, so IMO your post was pushing the envelope. In general, sex-talk of any kind is dissuaded in the forums. SSG could be held responsible for these forum comments and even be shut down, whether they saw the ep or not, SSG could not be responsible for that. People reference movies that contain nudity and sex all the time in the Movies-Other section, but that doesn't mean SSG should be a haven for any level of discussion of those films.

Birds of Prey seems to be 3 crime-fighting gals, one of whom is the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, fighting all the crime in Gotham since Batman has gone missing. Seems like a 3-issue Elseworlds comic, not a 22-ep series. :D

bigbarada
10-04-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
You misunderstand my previous comments, I was bagging on them because the series up until then had pulled off TONS of great effects and I was shocked by how much worse those were than the usual fare - my expectations were based upon what they had delivered up till now. I didn't complain about the truck looking phoney in last week's ep, did I?

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. This has been the third episode of the series I have ever seen, so I have no idea what kind of precedent has been set thus far. Sorry 'bout that.:o

scruffziller
10-04-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Ok, I must have missed this thread and have now just recently caught up with it.

Bigbarada - I'm glad that you are enjoying the show.

I also remember in a previous thread that I suggested that for the new Superman movie they should have Tom Welling play him and that it should coincide with the show, but almost nobody seemed to agree with me. Now it is good to see that at least a couple people here like the idea as well.

As for this season, I think it is great. Next weeks episode looks to be like a really good one. Does Sam discover Clark's secret? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully Lana and Clark will get together this season seeing as Lana is now "hopefully" breaking things off with Whitney. That is the only thing I hate about the show. It is clearly obvious that Lana is flirting with Clark, even in the first season. I could never understand why Lana wanted to be with Whitney. He tied Clark up in the field and was a complete jerk for most of the season. Clark saved Lana how many times? If I were her I'd seriously re-evaluate my relationship.

Someone mentioned that they think that Tom Welling is showing his true age. I would have to disagree. He certainly doesn't look like a 15 year old, but he could pass for 17 or 18. Heck I myself am 25 and, being an actor, I play 16 year olds all the time because I look so young. The one person on the cast that really did not look his age was Whitney. He definately looked like he was 25-26.

Also Birds of Prey will probably be a ridiculous show. How the WB managed to completely destroy the Batman franchise is beyond me.

So what stuff have you been in?

JetsAndHeels
10-04-2002, 01:42 PM
At Comic Con the producers said that Lana was Clark's soul-mate. In some versions of the legend, she learns (and keeps) his secret. Is that going to happen in this show now? To keep them from getting together? Because by now with Whitney out of the picture, Lana should go for Clark if he can't make a move on her without setting the house on fire. Maybe they should go for their first date on the lake. That'd solve everything!
Tycho, did you know that in the comics Lana eventually marries Pete? I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. It doesn't look like the show is going to keep that part of the story, but I think we will see some chemistry between Lana and Clark. If you are familiar with the comics then you know that Lana Lang was Clark's first true love before Lois Lane. So, we should see some kind of sparks fly between them, but I wouldn't expect much, because I imagine that the producers want to keep the storyline intact as much as possible.

SithDroid
10-04-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

So what stuff have you been in?

Well scruffziller I haven't been in any movies persay. I have been in about 30 different plays and musicals over the 9 years I have been acting. I also did a commercial for Commercial Federal Bank and I did an Industrial Film as well.

However, I was an extra in the CBS movie "Gone in the Night" with Shannon Doherty back in 1995. I can clearly be seen behind her shoulder in one scene. Plus I did an independent film that no one knows about called "Manimals" with Chris Klein.

Hopefully I will be moving to California within a year.

Tycho
10-09-2002, 12:56 AM
Tonight's episode (Pete finds the ship) was ok. Smallville's always good. I just found it predictable.

Now they'll have a season of "how does Pete deal with keeping the secret?"

Meanwhile, I wanted to discuss previews for next week's episode.

Clark gets exposed to red kryptonite (must be what makes him go 'bad') and gets it on with Lana. That much is GOOD.

But then he's dumb enough to go for another girl and get caught???

I'm seldom one to tell people to not take advantage of all their romantic opportunities - women always do and they lie about it all the time. How long was Clark waiting for Lana while she was with Whitney? But that doesn't mean go out and get caught!!! - and if Lana's obviously waiting for Clark now (staying single and not bouncing from one guy to the next now that she's free from her previous relationship) Clark's a fool not to respect her offer (red kryptonite must make him insane!)

I think next week's episode will drive me crazy! I want to believe there's somebody out there for each of us - even if there's really no promise for that. But this is a fictional show, so Clark and Lana are really meant for each other, and the writers are just teasing us with every new reason why they don't get together. But every week, we still come back for more!:rolleyes:

SithDroid
10-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Clark gets exposed to red kryptonite (must be what makes him go 'bad') and gets it on with Lana. That much is GOOD.

That's exactly what I thoguht when I saw the preview.

As for last nights episode, I liked it. A little predictable, but still a good episode.

JetsAndHeels
10-10-2002, 09:45 AM
I thought Tuesday's episode was pretty good. Pete Ross is one of Clark's closest friends, so I guess it is only fair that he knows the truth. However I think we will see later that keeping this secret will be a very heavy burden upon him (if the show keeps with the storyline). Anyway I know Clark is very relieved to tell someone that is close to him. It's easy to see that this secret is tearing him up inside. He hates covering it up and lying about it.
Next week's episode looks like a reversal of the episode where Lana was exposed to the flower and goes "wild". This time it is Clark, and he seems to be more aggressive and in tune with his feelings. I think it will be good, but a little predictable nonetheless.

Tycho
10-16-2002, 03:14 AM
I am a rabid Smallville fan, but tonight's Red Cryptonite episode was a disappointment in some ways.

I am TRYING to like it, but a lot of things bothered me:

1) There's no way Jessie was even slightly attractive next to Lana or Chloe! If Clark couldn't get with Lana immediately, he should have gone for Chloe. If we're talking the red cryptonite made Clark face his lustful feelings, then they are sort of there for Chloe, too.

Lana is a 10; Chloe is a 9.5. Jessie was about a 6.0, and that's being generous.

I can understand Clark liking the bad-girl thing while he's being the bad boy, but certain parts of Jessie looked as wide as 1.5 x Lana or Chloe!

2) Clark loves his father. I don't think he would have done anything to risk injuring Johnathon - even with red kryptonite. Sure he's fed up with some things and going through a teenage rebellion, but hurting his dad?

3) the resolution with Johnathon hitting the ring with a sledgehammer - especially in that slow-motion, looked awefully fake and just way too convenient. Someone using green kryptonite on Clark, especially Pete and Johnathon felt strange. It was a surprise twist on who would use it against Clark, but it feels awfully early in the series to have someone show their knowledge of this weakness of Clark's. Possibly not - I mean since back with the Coach's episode and Lana's necklace, we've had this going on. But it was almost anti-climatic to have the green kryptonite used this way. Having Clark's dad TALK him out of the ring in a terrifying climax, would have been much more intriguing.

4) Clark having anything less than 100% attention on Lana, was just unbelievable. The bar scene was a T2 rip-off - though that was supposed to be obvious. Even so, it wasn't that fun, and that he could be going for Jesse, was just ridiculous.

5) Lionnel Luthor and Lex's stint as the odd-couple confused me: was it supposed to be funny, or melodramatic?

Now the better points:

The plot about the girl and the father on the run was interesting, but it left a very unresolved story arc. It was almost too much plot put into the episode. Money and desires, irresponsibility etc. was the main theme to be sure, but an episode about being fed up with living frugally on the farm and not going for it with Lana would have sufficed.

The kissing scene with Clark and Lana was as great as it should have been!

I seriously wonder how far things went with Clark and Jesse. Also, how she'll react if she ever sees him again. He's a bad memory for her and her father, you know. Maybe she'll turn up as an ally of Lex Luthor's at some time in the future when he's out to get Kent.

The worst heartbreak: that Lana got jerked around like that by Clark of all people and that she sent him away after he was himself again - not to mention the fact that having revealed his feelings for her, it should have been a lot easier to beg her for her forgiveness and offer her the kind of relationship she really wants with him - let alone the kind of relationship he really wants with her! Johnathon should have hit him in the head with that sledgehammer! I was ready to!

I just did not like Clark-gone-bad, and I am also getting sick of his Clark-goes-back-to-shy routine he has with Lana. Next week it looks like he'll end up saving her, but I don't expect anything more than friendship between them in the end. It looks like 1st season's BugGuy is back as the baddy, unless I mistook the gueststar (he looked familiar to Smallville). It's a Halloween-timed episode no doubt for the scary-ratings.

Maybe, just maybe they'll take a chance and get Clark and Lana together for a season or something OR have her learn of his powers and seal their friendship with that kind of trust - but also the temporary distance she'll need to fathom it all until she can come back to the conclusion that she loves him all along.

The show has tantilizing romantic intrigue and legendary suspense to it, but they now need to take some more risks in order to keep their edge. Maybe Johnathon and Pete discovering Kryptonite effects on Clark wasn't such a bad move, but I think it made an over-simplified resolution for the issues presented in this episode nevertheless. Too much was packed into one 1-hour show.

It was a disapointing night with Smallville.:cry:

SithDroid
10-16-2002, 05:06 PM
3) the resolution with Johnathon hitting the ring with a sledgehammer - especially in that slow-motion, looked awefully fake and just way too convenient.

I agree. There is no way that the ring would have shattered like that, cheesy and stupid writing if you ask me. They should have just taken it off of his finger and then hit it with the hammer. Besides there is no way that a regular person with a sledgehammer could shatter a ring like that especially if it was connected to someones finger. More likely it would have pushed the ring on further. That was the most unrealistice part of the show IMHO.

Also, why is Lana all mad at Clark for acting the way he did in the bar. Whitney was a complete @-hole to Lana in a couple episodes and she still stayed with him. Plus Clark has saved her life numerous times and she is mad at him over such a tiny thing. Grow up Lana. I think the writers are trying to make Lana too complex.

JediTricks
10-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Yeah, Jessie was not only a poor plot device, but also not in the league of the other gals in Clark's life. Clark even scoped Chloe in one scene, then threw that aspect of the ep out. As for the plot-device issue, how realistic is it that this girl would be on the run from various sources with her dad with that drawing-attention attitude and look, yet still run to protect the evidence and her dad when the heat was on?

The green kryptonite was the only realistic solution IMO, but the way they did it seemed pretty sloppy for the show, they could have just weakened Clark with the kryptonite and then slipped the ring off. The visual effect was really cheeseball, and if Clark is weakened by the green kryptonite then why didn't the sledgehammer injure his right hand since it had enough power to shatter a metal ring and meteor rock? Plus, wouldn't shattering that red kryptonite send red kryptonite-powder all over Clark's skin, clothes, and Pete and Jonathan?

Basically, it seemed like a fairly generic "bad influence" ep of one of these teen drama shows and I felt like my time had been wasted watching soap-opera-lite mess - having Lana get honked off at Clark was the lowest, most desparate move yet.

Tycho
10-17-2002, 01:28 AM
It disturbs me when I don't like an episode of my favorite show.

I want to like them all, but my opinion stands and I totally agree with JediTricks' and Sithdroid's comments.

I really hope this doesn't start a downhill trend with the show. They have so many good episodes and then this one bad one, but you always remember the worst ones the most. Sad but true.

I wish I could feel more optimistic for next week's, but instead I feel more 'concerned.'

scruffziller
10-17-2002, 08:50 AM
NO WAY!!!! RED was the best eps to date!!!!!!! Then again it could just be the hatred of what my dad used to be speaking.
But still the little inkling of Superman 3 being put into it was great!!!!

SithDroid
10-17-2002, 11:55 AM
if Clark is weakened by the green kryptonite then why didn't the sledgehammer injure his right hand since it had enough power to shatter a metal ring and meteor rock?

That is what I thought also. Surely the sledgehammer would have crushed the bones in his hand.

JetsAndHeels
10-17-2002, 03:17 PM
What is the plot of next week's episode? My stupid WB in Raleigh did not show the clips from it.
Can you fill me in Tycho??

JetsAndHeels
10-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
What is the plot of next week's episode? My stupid WB in Raleigh did not show the clips from it.
Can you fill me in Tycho??
Nevermind. I looked it up on the wb website.

Tycho
11-13-2002, 02:03 AM
Sorry Jango, I haven't come back to this thread until now - when you've likely seen the episode.

I liked the one with "Ryan." They did a good job and it touched the heart. Clark really did all he could.

Chloe and Lana living together? Now there's a lot of thoughts that come to mind with that situation - especially in light of next week's preview.

None of those fantasies should really be discussed here in our forums, but still... I can't keep the possibilities out of my head.

But back to tonight's episode: did Lex pay for that hot air balloon trip? That costs some bucks or I'd have done one myself by now. Where would Clark get the money? What happened to the doctor doing brain research? He should've been punished for child abuse!

And finally Lex, in tonight's episode, like many others, Lex really makes you think he's going to turn out to be a good-guy.

Gosh I love his character. He's so complicated!

Tycho
11-20-2002, 01:42 AM
Clark Kent is an IDIOT!

It's obvious that Chloe is pretty much over him, and Lana is INTO him, I don't think it went too far with Ian, so why doesn't Clark just let it go even after Ian's dead (or whatever happened to the dry half of himself)?

Clark should get together with Lana already! Geeze....

Not to mention next week's episode. Who does he meet? Supergirl? To see Lana crying like that, I could almost beat up Superman if he's going to be so dense. His head IS made of steel - and apparently that's all that's in there.

He should listen to his heart. Lana is the right girl for him!

If she was single and was rejecting him, it'd be a different story. But she had a boyfriend. Now she is single - and available.

First Clark goes for the "heffy" chick he was into while on red kryptonite, now he's going to get into "space girl?"

Dude: LANA!

Can I make it any clearer?

Too bad he's a fictional character and Clark Kent is not actually reading this website. But I'm going to tell the writers that I'll quit watching their show if they're going to make Lana cry from getting hurt over Clark again!

Grrrrrrrrrr!

scruffziller
11-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Sexual tension. Sexual tension. It is what the use to fuel the fire.
Remember this show has to sell to keep it going, for better or for worse. I think it is doing more than just fine. Next weeks ep looks rather intersesting with him finding some ancient cave artifacts.

Tycho
11-27-2002, 12:25 AM
Gosh the show was so good tonight! Why did Kayla have to die? She was so good for Clark. They finally cast a love interest that could vie for Lana Lang!

That was such a touching episode, too.

I wish Clark could have healed her somehow! She was so sexy and so exotic. Plus they were so spiritually connected.

Mmmmm that was a good show tonight! Did everyone else like it?

scruffziller
11-27-2002, 01:18 PM
Yea it was great!!!!

All have to say is,

LEX is going............"HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............."

Why must next week's be a repeat!!!!!!:frus:

Tycho
11-27-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Yea it was great!!!!

All have to say is,

LEX is going............"HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............."

??? I don't understand. I thought it was Lionnel Luthor that was confused by the land deal.

If you refer to Lex thinking about possibilities with Lana, there wasn't any strong evidence of him thinking about that in this episode.

JediTricks
11-27-2002, 10:31 PM
Why did Kayla have to die?Bad writing. Everybody who knows Clark's secret has to die unless they're a main-credits character apparently because otherwise Clark wouldn't be so alone. :rolleyes:

I thought the Numan legend was too specific, there should have been some expanding upon why the future was written on the walls like it was. That frustrated me enough to the point where I didn't care that Kayla's wolf-mode wasn't trying to kill people and Lionel Luthor was supposed to be too smart to push the "sacred treasures" issue when he could have simply moved the building down the street a few hundred feet.

scruffziller
11-28-2002, 08:35 AM

??? I don't understand. I thought it was Lionnel Luthor that was confused by the land deal.

If you refer to Lex thinking about possibilities with Lana, there wasn't any strong evidence of him thinking about that in this episode.

I was reffering to his building curiosity of the secret that has been plauging him since the beggining of the show. With spaceship and all.......

I heard a rumor that Bruce Wayne was going to make an appearance as one of Lex's Ivy League buddies.

scruffziller
01-09-2003, 08:29 AM
I heard that Christopher Reeve is going to be on Smallville to give advice to CLark.

Tycho
01-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Yup. I saw that on the news, too. Reeve will play a character (who's handicapped of course) that may recurr from time to time.

In the picture I saw of him, Reeve looks terrible. But at the same time I am very glad for him - this will be a new light in his life.

For Superman fans, it will just take some adjusting, because to Reeve's credit, the image of him at ages 25-35 or so that he was during the films, are forever burned into our mind.

The idea of his character he'll play on Smallville, a good scientist and friend to Clark, will be nothing similar to Clark's role himself.

But I think it is a bold move for the show, and Smallville has to keep boldness and freshness to its formula, as it has so far made the show successful beyond the producers' dreams, while all the other Superhero shows have failed.

Smallville will last its planned 5 year run and will probably generate movies, or a re-formatting of a new Superboy show with the same returning cast.

I think we all hope it stays that strong, but it will never stay the same:

Sooner or later, Lex will become bad, really bad, and though his transformation will be gradual, he'll reach a point of no return.

Lionel and Johnathon will both have to die - maybe, they could delay that further beyond Clark's high school graduation.

Lana will have to learn everything. She may or may not be able to get together with Clark, but unless they write the role of Lois Lane out of Clark's future, getting as close as possible to Lana won't work out as planned. Though it's hard to imagine a new actor playing Lois being brought into this cast (as it might be moved on to a new show, post-Smallville) and not have her be resented, because she is not Lana.

In the movies, Lois and Clark ultimately can't make it work, and Lana was right for him all along. Well, I'm sure I like Lana so much, that I will have to REALLY be impressed with any new love interest to distract Clark from Kristin's great character. At ComicCon, Smallvilles producers (Miles and Gough) said that Clark and Lana are soul-mates, destined to be the closest of friends (which doesn't mean that husband and wife cannot be the closest of friends, so it doesn't really tell you anything). But if Lana is closer to him than Lois can ever be, Clark doesn't always have to catch Lois the next time she falls off a tall building...

They also confirmed that Lois Lane is Chloe Sullivan's first-cousin.

Chloe's mother's maiden name was Lane.

I can't help but assume that something happens to Chloe, or if she lives while Clark is dating her cousin, she'll learn to hate Clark. I already feel so bad for her, because she's so cute, but she wants something that's nearly impossible if she only understood the connection between Clark and Lana.

The only other thing I can see, is if Chloe gets a boyfriend character she's happy with (not the freak-of-the-week), and Clark's thing with Lana goes rocky for some time, and Chloe introduces him to Lois. If true to form, Lois won't be interested in Clark - because she'll discover Superman. (The idea being that Lana knows who Superman is ever since he existed - possibly even helping Clark follow through with the idea of creating hope for people with his "character," but Lana loves Clark for who he is, not for what he is.) Meanwhile, Clark will be his usual self, being too shy to really accomplish getting anywhere with the girl he loves, while as Superman, he seems less inhibited.

He just needs to realize that with Lana, he doesn't need to have any inhibitions - heck, she even revealed that she knew he had his telescope aimed at her old bedroom window... she loves Clark now and it will be a shame to see something rock their relationship if they ever achieve true confessions.

But I think Lana is a great character too - she knows he saved her in the tornado, and not in anything less than a supernatural way. She didn't black out and conveniently forget the whole thing. She's just a good enough friend with enough true grattitude to wait and get her answers about what happened that day. I just don't like Clark lying to her face - but the thing is - she knows he is - and she fogives him even before he does it. Geeze she's an amazing girl!

scruffziller
01-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey Tycho what have you heard of the Bruce Wayne cameo appearance?

Tycho
01-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Not much - just that it's coming this season and hopefully it's a recurring role - or even a young Batman series spin-off will be in the works.

I suspect he could be introduced in several ways: the Waynes were very well-off, so he could be a client of the Luthors for some reason, or running in their circles in Metropolis for business reasons.

Bruce also could have gone to school with Lex in Metropolis or another boarding school for rich kids.

I think that Lex's influence on Bruce might cause him to always be suspicious about 'freaks from Smallville,' and thus that might be why Batman distrusts Superman. (in comics or cartoons, Batman carries a piece of green kryptonite in his gear "just in case.")

Clark and Bruce should get along, but they might not have much in common.

Worse, Bruce could use that "Wayne charm" and take an interest in Chloe or Lana, but I've always thought that Bruce was older than Clark (who is supposed to be 15 or something on the show - I know the actors are in their 20's already - but what's not to like about their performances anyway?)

So Bruce would be in his early-to-mid twenties in this show.

His parents would already be dead, and his attitude about vigilantism already formed. He might already be Batman, or Luthorcorp might actually make him some of his specialized gear.

There's a nightmare for you: Lex tries out the Batmobile.

In any case, if Clark learns who Bruce is after dark, and Clark likes him, it might give him pause to thinking about becoming a superhero. Clark is trying to be normal and fit in with the world.

Bruce started hating the world and fighting crime for revenge. His decision to adopt an alter-ego persona of the Batman was partially due to a psychotic condition brought on by earlier childhood trauma. I love Batman!

Meanwhile, speaking of early childhood trauma, namely Mr. and Mrs. Wayne's death at the hands of Jack "Joker" Napier, it may be that Clark learns that Bruce is planning to murder someone - perhaps a business partner of the Luthors (Napier). Clark influences Lex's old classmate buddy Bruce, not to find justice by killing Napier - that there is a higher road to take.

In the true Batman legend, Bruce does not want to put the Joker in jail - he does want to murder him - an eye for an eye as he sees it in Batman's bloodfeud with his arch enemy.

They never should have killed the Joker in the end of the first Batman movie. He could sit out a couple of films, but then come back. On a side note, Michael Keaton was perfect as Bruce and Batman, and Jack Nicholson was the best Batman villain ever! (I did like the second movie better for the love-war relationship with Catwoman, but she's not exactly an enemy if Batman is sleeping with her, eh?)

I just don't want to see Bruce try that with Lana or Chloe. He's not a relationship guy, and besides the age differences implied, he'd wind up hurting whoever, though it could develop some more substantial material for the bad blood between Superman and Batman, which is more interesting than everyone getting along.

I just think that Batman's cool, and Bruce Wayne can be a rich snot. Michael Keaton played him with just enough vulnerability to make him someone you feel a little sorry for, too. Val Kilmer was the worst - too young, and George Clooney was an arrogant Bruce, and a weaker Batman.

All of them are too old to play Bruce in his 20's now, so whoever they cast will be interesting for sure.

Tycho
01-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Tonight's episode with Whitney was really good.

I hate to see Lana crying though. Her smile brings light to that show!

Anyway, nice tie-in to the season 1 shape-shifting girl, though no explanation of how she can create changes in clothing was given.

Just the same, I'm glad we did not see Clark in a bra and panties.

I thought when she was Chloe, and Lana was in a bathtowel, we were going to get some seriously tempting action there. It was tempting, but just so subtley before the characters moved on.

I'm glad Lex straightened things out with his girlfriend. I hope she didn't just pull a fast one over on him - with one faked impropriety designed to be discredited so Lex won't get to her real purpose. I hope there is no real purpose - but then if she's too good to be true, she'll be too good for their romance to survive.

scruffziller
01-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Well we know that Whitney is not dead and he will come back because he is alive in Superman III!!!!!! And what about next weeks ep? Is Lex really going evil this time or do you think it is another fake out on our part?

Tycho
01-16-2003, 04:53 PM
In Superman III, isn't Lana's ex-husband named "Brad?"

It seemed she'd gone through a few of the "fading-glory Jocks types." I don't even know if Brad was the father of her son.

Superman III sort of implies that they'll get together at the end of the movie.

What happened in Superman IV? Was it Christopher Reeve? I never knew that existed before. Was Clark married to Lana?

In Superman II, they kind of end things cold with Lois Lane. He should be with Lana anyway.

Don't forget Smallville is re-writing the whole legend over again. Things don't have to go the same way as the movies just because Anette O'Toole and Christopher Reeve are both going to be on the show now.

scruffziller
01-17-2003, 08:32 AM
My bad, I had not seen SIII in a while. But somebody told me it was the same charachter and I assumed it was because of the role he was playing.

JediTricks
01-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Man, I totally disagree with you on Wednesday's ep Tycho, I thought this one was tired and predictable - the whole thing felt like this show had run out of steam and the writers were desparate. For me this ep just totally fell flat even with the amped-up violence factor of shape-changing-girl beating in some brains.

Tycho
01-19-2003, 08:25 PM
I just watched it again on the Sunday night repeats and I think it stands as my favorite episode of the season!

Wonder if the previews for "Lex's dark side" are just over-exaggerating or if there will be a dramatic shift in direction for the show.

Whatever it is, I think the conflict will be between Lex and his father, not Lex and Clark.

scruffziller
01-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Wow last night's ep is making things get real hairy!!!!!!!!!!

I really like how they basically introduced. "Can leap tall buildings in a single bound!!!" It was so great to see him have on that appropriately colored sweatshirt and appropriately colored jacket for that leap!!:D

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 03:13 AM
That was a pretty good episode last night, lots of trouble and lots of action. I thought they left Clark a little too open to being found out, and I thought it was really strange that this was such a powerful building block for Lex's... um, issues; but other than that a strong ep that made me wish the WB would simply turn out a real Batman or Superman TV series.

Tycho
01-23-2003, 04:08 AM
I really enjoyed the episode, too. I had several questions though:

Why did Martha not even tell Jonathon about getting the disk back?

I gather she is unsure what access to the ship will do to Clark. What secrets could he learn? That he's supposed to take over the earth and rule it until invaders from Krypton come? Ridiculous as it may seem, Martha doesn't know.

Oh - a side not - Martha kicked some butt last night, huh?

But anyway, she should discuss those issues with the ship key with Jonathon - that's what being Parent (S) is all about - partnership.

The second question was this: Lionnel is blind - the bad guys were knocked out or dead, in fact, Lionnel must have been out or at least out of the room - only Martha and Clark were conscious and sighted - why didn't they steal the file on Clark to learn what it contained. They could have destroyed it at their leisure - or read it very briefly before destroying it and before the police got up there to search them.

A third question is this: if Lionnel knows so much about Clark, that he's either a super-meteor-rock-affected-freak or he's an alien, why doesn't he tell Lex?

Or does Lex already know, but chooses to respect Clark's privacy due to their friendship. (That'd make him never discuss Clark with his father anyway).

Tycho
01-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Tonight's episode had a shocking twist. I never saw that coming!

I want to name names, but I recall somebody watching Smallville on WB's "Big Sunday."

So I am going to post spoilers as any discussion of tonight's episode (with the attempted murder of Lionnel) progresses unless I hear somebody scream not to.

Otherwise, we should take it for granted that everyone watches the new show on Tuesday night.

Next week's another red kryptonite episode. The last one was not that great. This one looks like it will be heavy on action. I just hope it will be heavy on plot as well.

The show's getting darker these past few episodes and I like the edge it's taking. It's building up to something erupting out of the Luther situation, and I hope they use this momentum and don't disappoint. Season 2 should end with some drastic change.

BTW, I knew that watch that was given to Martha would come up again.

I just felt that the killers (originally there were 2 in the plot to frame Johnathon before one of them ends up in the icebox), were not developed enough within their motives. Sure it was explained at the end, but it feels like there needs to be something more - that this element should be explored again in another show.

Otherwise, it's almost like they used a certain recurring character rashly in a hasty way to create an unsuspected plot twist as to the killer's real identity, which didn't do that character much justice.

scruffziller
01-29-2003, 11:23 AM
I can see that Lionel Luthor is truly evil. With his little confession in his hospital bed, he really turned his ugly head. ANd as Lex said that he(Lionel) brings out the darkness in people, he will most likely do it to LEX NO DOUBTS THERE!!!!!!:D The show is getting REAL.................GOOD!!!!!!

JediTricks
01-30-2003, 07:58 PM
I thought the ending was a little too deus ex machina, but it definitely was off the main page. The only thing that didn't happen that I was expecting (before the killer was revealed, obviously) was that the police were going to find the octagon key to the spaceship - that didn't happen and I felt a little like it was the only abnormality about the ep. Otherwise, a good effort but not one of the finer eps (any ep that has either Kent parent lying to Clark is a weakened ep IMO).

scruffziller
02-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Well, Well, Well...........

Tonights episode was really good, they're bringing in more of the mystery more and more.

THe show has gone through 3 phases now.

1. Strange villians created by Meteor Rocks
2. Relationship Tension
3. Mystery of Clark

Next weeks looks interseting. I thought Lex's brother was dead?

When is the ep with Christopher Reeve!!!!!!!!!??????

JediTricks
02-05-2003, 07:04 PM
I thought yesterday's ep went too far with the Lana/Clark and Clark/Truth issues, it felt like a yo-yo and Clark's lack of an excuse to Lana was just sloppy. He could have said "Pete slipped me something that made me act weird" and sober-Pete obviously would have backed him on that, but instead it's just "duh...". Other than that, the character-writing was stronger than a lot of eps lately and I did enjoy most of it.

However, it was weird to see Crazy Eddie on the show, this actor gets AROUND!!! :D

Tycho
02-05-2003, 10:57 PM
I don't know who Crazy Eddie is, but anyway:

Clark could have just trusted Lana and taken her with him to help Chloe and Pete. At that point, his secret was out of the bag to Chloe, and she's the most dangerous one of his friends, so he should have ---well on second thought, maybe explaining everything to Lana on top of what was happening to Chloe and Pete would have been just too much. But in the end he could have. I would have. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 oooXXXooo

He told Pete because he didn't want to lose his friendship, right? Pete may be his best friend, but so is Lana - or at least she's waiting to be - and he knows this!

Agghh. I know: the show thrives on sexual tension and to get them together would wreck things...

It'll never change so I swear I should quit watching it - but I'm back tuning in each week. :rolleyes:

scruffziller
02-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Since I know better of what happens with Lana, but if I didn't.....
I would say Lana would commit suicide re...........al soon.
That poor girl, she needs me to take care of her.:D

Tycho
02-06-2003, 01:25 PM
If you're talking about Lana marrying Pete Ross, or Lana having a kid with "Brad" (the next Whitney in her life according to Superman 3) - either or neither could happen on Smallville. They aren't following a continuity set by the comics or the movies. Smallville is re-writing a modern Superman legend.

Anything could happen, though I wish it was Lana deciding she was going to be the girlfriend of ME :D

mrmiller
02-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Am I the only one getting sick of Lana? Boo hoo, wah wah. Everything is as much your fault as it is Clark's- get over it already. I wish Clark would just blow up and tell her off already.
:p

=MATT=

Tycho
02-07-2003, 12:36 PM
I wished he'd gone on his date with Lana, and let Chloe and Pete take responsibility for their own actions!

JediTricks
02-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Crazy Eddie from the sci-fi series "First Wave (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0160277)", actor Rob LaBelle (http://us.imdb.com/Name?LaBelle,%20Rob), he played the expert on hieroglyphs.

I think the idea is Clark can't tell Lana about his powers until after he's sure she likes him for him rather than for his powers.

Miller, you and me both! Lana as a character is falling into a very 1-dimensional plane where everything is Clark's fault because he has secrets and everything in her life sucks because she has guys who want her, a place to live, a thriving business that she started, and a healthy social life at school. Yeah, I weep. :rolleyes: :D

You know what Lana's real problem is? She's wearing those "invisible" braces and is self-concious about 'em. ;) Man do those things look bad from beneath, that was NOT a flattering angle when Clark got knocked on his behind.

scruffziller
02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Though I wish it was Lana deciding she was going to be the girlfriend of ME :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:

scruffziller
02-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Man, I am not sure what to believe anymore !!!!!!:D
I suspected that Lionel has been able to see for longer than a few weeks!!! How else would he know that Clark is a special boy. Plus did Lucas actually just side with Lex right after he hit Mr. Kent on the head in the barn or were Lex and Lucas in on it the whole time? One thing that gets on my nerves though is how after an episode like "Bad Clark", everyone acts like nothing ever happened?:frus: But man I can't wait to see Christopher Reeve in 2 weeks!!!!

JediTricks
02-12-2003, 06:45 PM
I suspected Lionel was going to regain his site by the end of the season, but this early in didn't seem likely. Nice plot twist. I don't know if he's seen Clark in super-action yet though, it seemed like he suspected but was far from sure.

I think Lex explained things to his brother after the kid clocked Jonathan.

I too am honked off that 1 day after "bad Clark", everything's fairly cool, that was sloppy since they obviously were trying to continue that storyline.

I loved that "Luke, I am your brother" line in the beginning though, that was great stuff.

It's getting quite clear how Lex becomes then man that he will become, nice building of his character.

Tycho
02-13-2003, 04:58 PM
So true. Lex is proving to be THE most interesting character on the show by far - but it's a very powerful cast. Though kudos to Julian Glover who plays his dad! Lionnel is awfully intriguing too!

So was Lucas' mother the one who thought Clark was her son earlier in the season? The psycho-redhead?

JediTricks
02-14-2003, 05:54 PM
yup

scruffziller
02-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Man what is up with all the Lex look-a-likes in these bands that come on the show? First the lead singer of Remy Zero, then the drummer for Steadman.......sheesh!!:D

Man oh man. Just when you started to gain confidence in Lex, he snatches it away from you like a kid teasing a dog with a piece of meat. Any significance to that "hexagonal shaped gift box hmmmmmmmm........, we all know why he REALLY wants her to move in!!!!!!! :crazed: And it isn't her big brown beautiful eyes!!!!;) Since she is now somewhat part of the "Kent Family"
Power is and always will be Lex's first love. Now I think it is Chloe who is going to top herself.

..........................Lana............is that you....... ;)

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I thought the aftermath of Jonathan stealing the disk was a bit pathetic, these G-men know where the damn thing came from, yet as soon as they find Pete in the pickup they just give up?!?

Other than that and Chloe's really over-the-top behavior, this one was a bit soap-opera-y but a fairly good ep.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the Lex Luthor lookalikes in the band, I thought the same thing "Lex finally got a cool job!" :D

scruffziller
02-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Any thoughts on Lex's behavior other than the obvious?
Chris Reeve's lab reminds me alot of what that scientist that lived in the observatory in Zelda:Majora's Mask N64 game had there.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the Lex Luthor lookalikes in the band, I thought the same thing "Lex finally got a cool job!" :D

Yea now all they have to do is get Moby, Zwan, and Disturbed on the scene and they'll be set!!

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 09:31 AM
WOW O WOW!!!!!!!

Man that was...................SUPER!!!!!! hee hee:crazed:

I got all goose bumpy when they started the Superman theme music while Mr. Swan told what the message said. I have to say, that even though it is not a 2 parter, it almost could have been a season finale but without the cliff hanger. Well, I wonder if Margot Kidder or Gene Hackman will make any cameos?

JediTricks
02-26-2003, 06:12 PM
I too loved it when the introspective Superman movie music crept in and started building, that was great, took the whole thing to a higher level IMO. The episode itself was great too, it built and built and built smoothly to a real strong conclusion. I could easily have bought this as the season finale. I hope the transition from Dawson-wannabe to the origins of Superman that this episode gave us will continue, but I won't expect it - we'll probably have the same old pop-music soundtrack and plotlines in the next new episode. John Williams' Superman themes are really top notch, they take a scene that could come off silly with some bubblegum junk and give it tons of depth without screaming its intentions from the rooftops.

This ep really makes me wonder why Warner Brothers is unwilling to make a real Superman or Batman TV series that enjoys a good budget and serious writing on multiple levels.

The Christopher Reeve/Tom Welling PSA at the end of the ep was entertaining too, they looked like they were having fun.

While I never really liked Margot Kidder as Lois, I think she's a talented actor with a lot of edge and depth. After her breakdown, she did guest star roles on a couple sitcoms, Earth Final Conflict, and even Law & Order where she really gave great performances - I bet she'd really do well with a guest appearance on Smallville if the part were right.

As for Gene Hackman though, I thought he was a weak Lex Luthor in the films. He's a talented actor, but I always disliked that casting. I'm not sure he does TV anymore.

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah JT I've gotta agree with your assesment of Gene Hackman.

I haven't watched this episode yet (the beauty of having a Hard Disk Recorder) but will tonight.

I think the reason we'll never see a real Superman or Batman T.V. series is simply because it would be to expensive and Warner Bros. is planning on milking these characters for all they're worth on the big screen.
I also think Warner Bros. is just plain stupid for thinking about casting anyone else for the part of Superman in their new movie other than Tom Welling. It would tie the projects together so nicely. :frus:

Tycho
02-27-2003, 03:33 AM
I think they should hold off on any Superman movie right now.

The show last night was awesome - even more reason to use the cast of Smallville for a Superman movie.

Yes they can do it with the Smallville cast concurrent with the TV series.

But it's not just Tom Welling that should be cast. Michael Rosenbaum is the perfect Lex Luthor!

Any restart of Superman movies for the theater should feature Superman's No. 1 nemesis: Lex Luthor, as the principal bad guy.

There are some simple and not-so-simple conditions that must be satisfied for using the Smallville cast:

1) They must all be made to look older. That's fine since they struggle to make them all look younger in this series anyway.

(anyone notice John and Martha looked a lot older this last show?)

2) They don't crash Smallville's ratings by showing the show's "end" by doing the movie with that cast.

2a) it'd be weird having Johnathon die, and Martha being a widow, while the same cast is playing them alive on TV concurrently. I'm not saying you should rule that out, I'm just not aware of it being done before. So what? Do it, but not quite yet...

2b) Clark and Lex are best friends growing apart right now. Clark is aware of Lex's deceptions ever since the Roger Nixon incident (during the tornado) and he's finally believing his Dad about the Luthors, but Clark still sees Lex as having choices.."The road to darkness not a lightswitch...etc). That being said, to see Mike Rosenbaum play the 'evil Lex Luthor' would come as a sudden disjunction in character growth right now. Yet I don't want it to be anybody else. Plus, making one look older is easier if they have hair, though I'm sure modern makeup could take care of Mike and advance his years just a bit.

But in light of all this, couldn't a Superman movie with this cast that ran concurrent with Smallville's new TV shows wait until at least 1)Clark and Lex have their falling out and 2) Johnathon shows signs of his health deteriorating - since he'll die in the movie, but be alive in the show, until it catches up with movie continuity.

I can see a movie with this cast being of benefit to a still-on-the-air show, as Smallville (like it's ratings aren't the top of Tuesday nights anyway) could still take the new boost and run with it.

scruffziller
02-27-2003, 08:10 AM
I think to properly have the Smallville cast do a movie should only really be done when the show really reached its end like Star Trek Voyager did.

scruffziller
02-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Now I know why they called him Virgil Swan.

Look at his initials.:D

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Heh heh, and I thought it was just for "Very Silly". ;) BTW, it's "Swann".

I don't know why we have to kill Jonathan off, he survived in some of the comics and the "Lois & Clark" TV show. I think Michael Rosenbaum makes a good young Lex, but I really can't picture him as a truly adult Lex Luthor.

scruffziller
03-07-2003, 09:41 AM
I am actually speculating that it was Braniac who is responsible for putting that computer in the cave.

scruffziller
04-08-2003, 07:45 AM
New ep next week it is called Visitor. Clark thinks this classmate is another alien.

scruffziller
04-12-2003, 12:35 PM
There is 6 more eps then I believe the season is over.

JediTricks
04-16-2003, 01:31 AM
Tonight's ep was a stumper - at first it seemed cool but then it sorta turned into a cop-out. It felt like they were trying to force emotional impact into the ep but that actually sorta sucked it out and it came off dry for me. Still, some interesting developments to say the least.

scruffziller
04-24-2003, 08:03 AM
This epsisode is one of the better eps that the series has had. It really played well on the idea of why he must take a secret identity to become the hero we know. Plus I think we all know how(well possibly) what is going to send Lex over the edge or what could. So help me, they better never cancel this show without seeing it through to the end.

JediTricks
04-24-2003, 08:52 PM
It's a good thing Lana is forgetful.

"How did you throw those guys so far Clark?"
"Lana, look over there!"
"Wha... Hey, where did Clark go? Oh well, everything's back to normal now. Yay!"

;)

Other than that, it was an interesting episode. I wasn't thrilled with how they set up all of Lex's evils to be teetering on one character's life (and future death, I guess).

scruffziller
04-25-2003, 09:18 AM

Other than that, it was an interesting episode. I wasn't thrilled with how they set up all of Lex's evils to be teetering on one character's life (and future death, I guess).

With as HOT as she is.............I buy it......;)

mrmiller
04-30-2003, 12:12 PM
That was a cool episode last night. I liked seeing Lionel back in the picture. I wonder if he or anyone else will figure out the "smelting" of the Kryptonite and the powers is releases? Would open some cool possibilities.

=MATT=

scruffziller
04-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Yea especially if Chloe and him are going to be real close like that it will really get interesting. Pretty good ep, retro-beginning of Smallville but good nonetheless. Lex still showing a hint of bad side starting to come out. I'm not sure if I believe his story of bailing that guy out totally.

Tycho
05-14-2003, 03:07 AM
WOW!

So Clark & Lana are a couple now! I was pleasantly surprised the writers took the chance and got them together. Finally. I even wondered for a second (forgetting Martha is pregnant) if Lana would become pregnant. That would really trip up the storyline!

But it's natural that she would fall for Clark by now - and not be too surprised by his secret or gaining full knowledge of his abilities, which looks like it will happen next week.

Chloe has the incentive to become a very bad girl now. Her loyalty to Clark by throwing Lionel's offer back in his face was great - but her voyerism on the new couple brought her eyes to exactly what she did not want to see. I feel sorry for her, but since Episode One (of Smallville) Clark was all for Lana. But I guess when she wasn't available to him, Chloe couldn't get AS jealous. Now she has a very dark motive. I didn't see that coming, but now I think its a predictable but logical direction to go in.

Lex knows Clark's secret and has his blood. It's inevitable that he knows by now that Clark's an alien, but he protects his friend's secret. But now, keeping his "Clark collection" wasn't costing him his marriage. But then it might not. Jonathon was sure hard on Helen when she visited the farm. But she was insinuating that HE (John) trashed her med-lab, if only because she didn't want to believe Lex did it. (DUDE, Helen Bryce is hot!)

Lionel is a scum of the first degree, and his corrupting Chloe makes me shudder. That guy knows how to play evil. The thing is, there's some undertext of him really loving his son, don't you think?

This show is so powerful - I'm amazed at how good it's gone and how fast the episodes are progressing. Season 2 keeps outdoing itself.

Next week looks amazing! TO BE CONTINUED's drive me nuts!

scruffziller
05-14-2003, 10:30 AM
I am suprised that next week is having an ending of sorts, or will it still be continued till next season I wonder. Like I said before I believe that Brainiac is the one who put that all in the cave. I mean who else could it be. They just better keep it going. I don't think the sexual tension being released between Clark and Lana is going to kill the show like it did Lois and Clark show. And who knows with the way the writers are doing these they may take it in a different direction. The reason I say that is because the focus isn't nearly on the relationships as much as it is on the developing of who Clark is. And when that stuff stirs up, everything gets caught in the whirlwind of meddling, relationships and all.

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 07:05 PM
I thought the Chloe stuff was over the top, but convenient writing is a sin every series has had from time to time I guess. Having Lex have the blood really didn't work for me though, Lex knowing Clark's secret pushes this show too far away from the Superman legend IMO and makes too much danger for the Kents (though with those kids in jail from a few weeks ago knowing Clark's secret, it seems like it's only a matter of time before this show self-destructs in this manner anyway).

Tycho
05-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Clark might have to 'come out with his secret,' at least to Smallville.

The one interesting thing amongst all of this is that Lex seems likely to try and protect him. He warned Clark about Lionel.

And if Lionel decides he wants to kill Clark, you know that Lex will decide to support exactly the opposite. I think that if public word gets out about Clark, Lex will actually protect the Kents for a while. He likes Johnathon and Martha and is not evil at all by this time.

He was obsessed with the fact that he survived that car wreck in the very first episode, and he owes Clark his life many times over.

I think that he'll also learn the kryptonite effects on Clark early on, and use them (or get rid of them) to protect Clark. Lex doesn't necessarily have to go bad at the same time he discovers Clark's secrets. Furthermore, a future Lex Luthor that wants to do naughty things doesn't have to kill Clark either, just keep Clark from interfering with his plans.

But Lex's plans will change for sure:

1) Clark is now in the middle of Lex and his father. It could cost Lex his father's life, if it becomes a life-and-death situation. However, Lionel owes Clark his life too, but Lionel won't back down from his abuse of his wealth and power.

2) Helen Bryce definitely fits into all this. I expect a few more romantic episodes or a season to play up her importance to Lex, and give us more great shots of her hot features. But losing her to anything that's Clark's fault, directly or indirectly, could crush Lex.

3) Lex has been coping with being 'the bald freak' all his life. Helen's love is one step towards permanently healing his ego. I doubt he'd normally blame Clark for the meteor shower, as Lex must realize that Clark was a baby then, however, later on, if Lex's life falls apart, he'll blame a lot on Clark from his hair, to his final blow-up with his father, to especially Helen. I'd be mad if I lost her too!

By far, Smallville is staying interesting and if anything, intensifying!

As to Chloe? I don't know for sure where they are going with her, but she is the first cousin of Lois Lane (whenever she fits into this storyline). I really don't want to bring her into it though, because Lana is so right for Clark and I truly think it would be realistic for her to accept his alien origin, as she truly loves him.

In almost every incarnation of Superman I've ever seen, Lois Lane was out for herself. In many episodes of Smallville, Lana Lang was out for Clark. Besides, with the exception of Helen Bryce, it's difficult to imagine them casting someone even half as hot as Kristin Kruek!

mrmiller
05-15-2003, 09:10 AM
I was very upset that Lex had the blood vile. I was wanting Lionel to have it. Then maybe he would try and create clones of Superman! Now that would be interesting...

Sometimes I don't think it would be that bad if Lex knows his secret. I think it would be OK with the show. If they can remain friends, Lex can use Clark to do things for him, not by hireing him or even asking him, but by his subtle suggestive ways. Let Clark remain naive (sp?) about it, but let the audiance in on how Lex is using Clark for his own twisted means. That way Lex can grow into more of a criminal mastermind. And by the end of the show let it all backfire on Lex, and set him on his way to becomming the mastermind villian who despises Superman. Let Lionel be the main villian for now, using the refined Kryptonite to create Super Soldiers, Super Intelligent agents, and more.

Mostly, I wish they would just let Lex or Lionel or both just think that Clark, and maybe all the Kents, know the secret of Kryptonite, and not that Clark is actually from another planet. Let them think the Kents discovered the powers of Kryptonite from the strange language that is in the caves, and the "Key" is the key to reading the language. Not some spaceship/alien thing. That way they will think Clark is a normal person, but he knows more about the potiential Kryptonie holds than they do.

=MATT=

mrmiller
05-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Also I don't feel Chloe will betray Clark. Even after he breaks her heart, she is still in love with him. I figure she will go ahead and start checking up on him and uncover something, but then will withhold it form Lionel, thiking she can use the info to win Clark over. And really, what does Chloe know that Lonel doesn't? With the whole adoption ting, Lionel knows more about the Kents than she does right now.

=MATT=

Tycho
05-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Good point, Mr.Miller.

God I hate Lionel Luthor! (but John Glover does such a great job bringing this son-of-a-bch to life that you secretly love him being on the show!)

Has anyone ever noted the subtle undertone of having Lex be bald, but his father having long hair?

mrmiller
05-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Has anyone ever noted the subtle undertone of having Lex be bald, but his father having long hair?

Yea, I think it's just another jab form Lionel to Lex. John Glover makes Lionel a great Villian for the show. He is the best advasary for the show so far. The man just oozes evil,and you get a sense of how it's corupting Lex and everything else around him. A great choice for the roll, and probably my favorite character in the series.

=MATT=

scruffziller
05-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Yea I had noticed that but never thought much about it. But you can tell Lex doesn't care.

But anyway, what do you guys think of the Brainiac theory?

Tycho
05-16-2003, 04:47 PM
I must admit, I never read Superman Comics (though now I subscribe to the new Smallville ones).

I mostly was exposed to Superman as a kid through the Christopher Reeve movies, though I thought there were 3 not 4. I've never seen the 4th if it exists.

I also liked Super Friends or the Halls of Justice or whatever, but Batman appealed more to me because I felt that I could grow up to be more like Bruce, because Batman doesn't have any superpowers (and until I discovered I have the Force, I thought that neither did I).

But anyway, I don't know who Brainiac is. Also, with the realism deeply rooted into Smallville, I'd prefer that the villains have real names, like Lionel Luthor, and not "Super-Evil Man," or something like that, unless Chloe names them sarcastically or something like that.

I don't think Clark should call himself "Superman" either - but maybe adopt it if the press does. Furthermore, there better be a good, believeable reason as to why he dons the Supersuit instead of that he wants to dress himself like a nut-case. Like maybe he does something for a kid in the hospital's "I need a hero to visit me day," and he ends up having to do something heroic while in the costume, and that kind of gets adopted as the image the press captures. OR there is some other reason he's wearing the outfit that has something to do with Jor-El his natural father. OR it is a Smallville Scarecrows letter, that he adopts because he was seen in it, and it has ironic parallels to his frail ties with his natural father.

I think that maybe it could be black and red, or red and gold (in Smallville high colors) or something, and only if necessary, altered to look like the Superman cartoon colors.

I think I like the visit-the-child-in-the-hospital-while-getting-caught-doing-something-heroic-storyline best.

It's not in Clark's personality to dress funny.

JediTricks
05-17-2003, 12:52 AM
Superman 4: The Quest For Peace - Superman vs nuclear weapons & Nukeman. This movie sucked pretty bad IMO, 3 was kinda an insult to the franchise in some ways but it had its own charms, I don't think 4 had ANY.

I was never a hardcore comic reader, but I read some key comics, watched the movies, the old tv show, the cartoons, the Superboy show, and Lois & Clark.

Brainiac is one of Krypton's biggest enemies, and in some canons, the cause of Krypton's destruction. IIRC, in some canons (damn Crisis reset!) Brainiac is a robotic computer amassing all the universe's knowledge and destroying planets to get it; in other canons he's a computer brain in a robot body who tries to trick, outsmart, and even destroy Superman for being the survivor of Krypton or just because he's a jerk. I always pitied Superman's rogues gallery, nobody can compare to Batman's IMO and with Supe's being so close to Bats', it's even more embarassing.

I don't think in any version of the Superman legend does he name himself that, he wears his family crest on the uniform which happens to resemble an "S", and usually Lois feels that's just super, man. ;)

Superman has to have heroic duds, especially if Martha is the one to make 'em. :D Or he could go with the Kryptonian black and red outfit, but that usually denotes Supes having turned to evil IIRC.

Tycho
05-17-2003, 03:09 AM
Hey, with Smallville being as popular and well-conceived and well-casted as it is, plus with it "re-writing" the Superman legend, would anybody mind if Smallville just dumped the Lois Lane tradition and keep Clark and Lana Lang together?

Even if they end up together, like the movies suggest, after a long romance with Lois Lane, I don't think I'd like a new girl coming into the picture with this cast - even if it doesn't happen on the current TV incarnation, but later in some future mini-series, theatrical or television movie with this cast.

I also don't want any more Superman live-action stuff that does not include this cast. Forget Nicholas Cage or anybody else but Tom Welling playing Superman!

JediTricks
05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I don't think you can have the Superman legend work without Lois Lane. Just because some folks go out during high school doesn't really mean they're destined for each other, and some folks who seem destined for each other don't always end up that way. If the current Lana and Clark characters on the show end up together forever, it'd seem a little too fairy-tale to me; Clark Kent has to eventually cast off his small town ways and search for something bigger in his life in order to become Superman.

mrmiller
05-21-2003, 10:29 AM
If you haven't seen the seasone finally (are waiting for Sunday)-

*SPOILER ALERT!*

The thing about Smallville that got me the most is the last scene with Lex. What the hell? Who did that to him? Did his new wife drug him and escape? And if she did- is she a "bad guy" or just a scorned lover? And if she really is a "bad guy" she is one of the only people that knows about Clark. Or did the pilots abduct her and leave Lex to die. And if they did, were they working for Lionel or someone else? Lot's of questions surround that crash.

Clarks story doesn't bother me much. He runs away, OK. He'll turn around and come home soon, then his and Lana's relationship will be back on the rocks, Chloe will still be mad and spying on Clark, and his parents will forgive him and everything will be fine at home in a Brady Bunch fashion.

I'm hoping Clark will be in some bar watching TV drinking a few adult beverages, and a news flash will come on about the missing billionaire's son, Lex Luthor. Then Clark will remove the red ring, and go looking for Lex. Maybe he can learn to fly now, and search for him over the ocean. I guess we have about 4 months until we find out... A good time to get caught up on other shows and my Xbox games.

=MATT=

JediTricks
05-21-2003, 08:42 PM
I found the ep ok, but nowhere near as impactful as the Christopher Reeves ep. General Dod telling Clark to "obey me, Wario!" ;) was way over the top and left a bad feeling from that whole issue, thanks to that there's no longer ambiguity about Clark "rule them" interpretation being wrong and Jor-El being not a jerk after all. Dunno why Clark is so much to blame from his dad consider it was Jonathan who flipped the truck over - if he hadn't lost control, nobody would have been hurt. Or maybe Jonathan was just lashing out like a real person instead of a 2 dimensional character and didn't mean to come down on Clark so hard.

As for the Lex storyline, well... let's just say it was not my favorite way to end that. I figure the Helen that walked down the aisle with Lex was actually one of Lionel's clones (hence, the envelope-hand off would be to gather her DNA) and she's the one who drugged Lex and set the plane to crash. Of course, that seems kinda thin, but the whole plane crash thing seemed kinda thin to me anyway... not to mention this was apparently a 5-minute wedding with absolutely no reception afterwards. ;)

I liked Lionel Luthor's "LL" box with the key inside, that was a cool prop. It leaves me to wonder though, will the original key eventually be what Clark uses to create the fortress of solitude with his father's knowledge inside a la the first Superman movie?

Tycho
05-22-2003, 02:56 AM
Up unto now, the show's had very realistic explanations for its science fiction.

The ship scarring Clark's chest was a direct wander from the beaten bath. What was all that about? When was that ever part of the Superman mythos?

Is it Jor-El talking to Clark, or is it General Zod? Why did they cast Terrence Stamp in THAT role (as Jor-El's voice?) Sure, nice to have the movie cast members back, but...

well they are changing roles since the beginning with Anette O'Toole playing Martha Kent rather than Lana. So I guess Gene Hackman can have a guest appearance as the ice cream man or how about the president of the Daily Planet? (that's actually a good role for him).

Meanwhile, I agree with everyone else here, saying Lex's story is the most interesting.

I'm not sure that Helen was cloned. That's a little too far-fetched. I think that perhaps she NEVER loved Lex? That her turning down Lionnel's $100,000 bribe to dump Lex was part of their plan all along. She'd pass the test that Lex would expect, then he would have all the less to suspect. Lionnel probably put her through medical school, or inserted her into Smallville to identify Clark? Meanwhile, he took advantage of Lex's interest in her. Remember they met at anger management school? It would have been easy for Lionnel to insert her into there so that she'd attract Lex's attention. It's sad to think that their love wasn't real though. Helen is such a hottie, I wanted her for Lex, to make him stay a good guy, etc. But who knows? Next season I guess we learn more. If she was cloned, Lex could rescue the real Helen wherever she's being held. If Lionnel really wants to weave a great delusion, he can pretend to be holding her, so that Lex can rescue her and suspect a clone - even when there actually was NO clone! That family is just so dang f-d-up that its amazing!

But whatever was done, Lex was surely set up to DIE! If his Dad did this, it is civil war amongst the Luthors and I predict that Lionnel will wind up dead by the end of the third season, or possibly sooner. I've seriously enjoyed John Glover being on the show though. He is a perfect villain and I love to hate him!

mrmiller
05-22-2003, 12:10 PM
I agree, John Glover's Lionel Luthor is my favorite character in the series.

The whole "Clark's destiney" and "Clark's relationships" is wearing on me. Lex's story is much more interesting right now. Am I the only one who is more interested in Lex right now than Clark?

=MATT=

scruffziller
05-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Yea I am real interested in Lex's goings on. Because we know still how Superman is coming about in this new continuity but not Lex.

JediTricks
05-22-2003, 10:14 PM
The ship scarring Clark's chest was a direct wander from the beaten bath. What was all that about? When was that ever part of the Superman mythos? Not that I know of, but that whole sequence didn't work for me so I'm writing it off. If Zod reprogrammed the ship to do all this... well, that'd be a bit of a stretch for me to buy.

Beast
06-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Just wanted to give you Smallville Fans, the heads up. :)

Smallville: The Complete First Season

Before the Legend...Before the Icon...He was a teenager growing up in Smallville. The complete first season of the groundbreaking series that chronicles the life of the boy who would be Superman is flying onto DVD in a 6-disc collector's set with super bonus features.

Run Time: 954 minutes
Closed Captioning: Yes
Aspect Ratio: Original Aspect Ratio - 1.77
Widescreen [16:9 Transfer]
Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Sound Quality: Stereo - English , Stereo - French

DVD Features:
Audio Commentary : Pilot and First Episode
DVD ROM Features : Link to Smallville site featuring added bonus material
Deleted Scenes : Pilot
Other : Interactive tour of Smallville
Storyboards
TV Spot

Street Date: 9/23/03
MSRP: $64.92

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
06-18-2003, 04:29 AM
Sweet! Thanks for the info JarJar!

I'll be buying this!

Tycho
07-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Get ready to groan:

The Star Wars Insider reported that for an upcoming Superman movie, Hayden Christiansen is going for the role of Clark Kent!

Noooooo! That's impossible!

To me, and I AM a fan of Hayden Christiansen's performance as Anakin Skywalker, I hate the idea of anyone other than Tom Welling playing the role of Clark Kent.

Hayden is so wrong for that role it's not even funny. That half-Canadian -sort of Chicago accent of his does not at all sound like Superman!

Next, Natalie Portman will be playing Lana Lang.

CK: "Pa Kent is holding me back! He's Jealous! It's not fair!"

LL: "Well Clark, I think that Count Dooku is behind it."

The best news is that they could cast Chris Hollis (Lobot) as Lex Luthor. Rumor is, he's still as bald as he was in 1980!

JediTricks
07-01-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm sorry, I think I just had a stroke, that's the only way I can explain how I thought I just read Hayden wanted to play Supes.

Tycho
07-01-2003, 02:30 AM
I'm sorry, I think I just had a stroke, that's the only way I can explain how I thought I just read Hayden wanted to play Supes.

Yup, JT:

It's true. It's in print in the current SW Insider.

There are a few other actors vying for the role:

Brenden Faser

Paul Walker

Matthew Bomer

and then there's Hayden.

I don't know who any of the other guys are, but why isn't Tom Welling going for the role?

I'm just about to write him a letter!

He can film the movie around Smallville's shooting schedule, or is some other producer-director team trying to capitalize on Smallville's popularity while not admitting its success, and thereby using all their own cast to say "We can do it just as well?"

They should be shot!

Hellboy
07-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Yeah it should be Tom Welling and no one else. I know he portrays Clark in his teen years but I think Tom is around 28yrs. old so there is no reason he couldn't pull it off.

The rest of the actors just don't have the look. Especially Hayden and Paul Walker. Can you even picture Paul Walker in the Superman costume :confused: :frus: That would be the equivilant of having Keanu Reeves playing Batman.

Out of all the actors Tycho mentioned the only one who does have the look is Matthew Bomer but I've never seen any of his work so I have no idea if he's a talented actor. Overall I'm not very hopeful that this movie will be any good since Warner Brothers seems intent on attaching a big name to the role rather than going for someone the fans will appreciate like Tom. :frus: