PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

Beast
09-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Since any discussion of the E2 DVD releases end up discussing OAR and P&S, I'm glad to see that StarWars.Com has decided to put an article up about the differences, and include some great screenshots that show you exactly what your missing when you watch a P&S movie. Here's a link, enjoy and post your comments. I'll post mine after I'm done reading. But the framing of some of the Fullscreen images are horrible. BTW Mods, this is a seperate post from the DVD thread, as it ties into a larger issue, please don't merge it. :)

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020925/index.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
09-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Since any discussion of the E2 DVD releases end up discussing OAR and P&S, I'm glad to see that StarWars.Com has decided to put an article up about the differences, and include some great screenshots that show you exactly what your missing when you watch a P&S movie. Here's a link, enjoy and post your comments. I'll post mine after I'm done reading. But the framing of some of the Fullscreen images are horrible. BTW Mods, this is a seperate post from the DVD thread, as it ties into a larger issue, please don't merge it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Introducing Master Jar Jar Binks.. head of the widescreen republic council.. he dispatches Jedi all over the galaxy to defeat the full screen seperatist union :)

Widescreen is definitely best... it's how Lucas intended us to see it... it's how all movies should be seen.
Take a look at my attached pic... you can't even see Anakin Skywalker on the full screen one!

Battle Droid
09-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Yeah, they should really do away with Fullscreen, there's no use for it.

master jedi
09-25-2002, 09:34 PM
I prefer widescreen mainly because you get it the way it was filmed and was presented in theaters. You actually get more of the picture in widescreen even though it may be smaller. On fullscreen they whack off the sides of the picture.

Darth Trymybestus
09-25-2002, 09:37 PM
I think full screen isn't too bad on a smaller tv... but it sucks seeing a movie fullscreen after you've seen the movie in widescreen.
I've got the phantom menace full screen VHS, I recently bought the widescreen DVD and now I can't stand the full screen phantom menace, it seems almost claustrophobic. Do you guys agree?

mini-rock
09-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Thanks for posting that link JJB. I've forwarded it to people I know. :)

Darth Trymybestus, agreed, claustrophobic to say the least. :)

jedihunter25
09-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Yes, widescreen is best. For years I was watching the classic trilogy on fullscreen, then when the Special Ed. came out, I bought the widescreen version and realized how much I was missing. Since then I always get the widescreen version.

Pendo
09-26-2002, 12:15 PM
I'm glad StarWars.com are finaly trying to show the fans that wider is better! Now that official Star Wars sources are showing that full screen is, well let's face it - crap, perhaps some of those who prefer fullscreen will change their minds and go for widescreen :).

Most film enthusiasts will point you towards the widescreen edition. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's original intent. You get to see the entire frame as it was envisioned; nothing gets cut out. Considering how visually dense a Star Wars movie is, scenes like the Geonosian arena, the Clone War ground battle or the Coruscant speeder chase are jam-packed with characters and action, so cropping the image invariably results in losing some intricately-designed detail. Easter egg-hunting viewers won't be able to find the X-wing and TIE fighters in the full screen Episode II DVD, for example; they were cropped out of frame in order to fit the more important action on the screen.

:)

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
09-26-2002, 02:36 PM
As much as GL is trying to cram digital projection down the industry's throat you'd think he would also take a stand on this issue. How could he let his movie vision be chopped up just so some people can miss half the image? I guess he allows it in the name of money.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Well... I, for one, have always been an advocate for widescreen. There are a few movies... mostly those fluff romantic comedies- that really don't need widescreen. However... it IS the director's desire to fill the entire screen with an image and everything is planned for that reason. When one goes chopping up an image... the visual integrity of the film ends up suffering greatly.

Television stations across Europe have been showing theatrical films on television in widescreen for at LEAST the last decade and a half. It's about time we really catch on to what is "only natural!!!"

2-1B
09-26-2002, 10:00 PM
I agree, JP. :) Recently I bought Can't Buy Me Love on DVD and I don't care that it's a fullscreen release. :D

I'm all about Widescreen, but I'm still buying a Fullscreen AOTC DVD just for the hell of it . . . I'm curious to see how they pan and scan. Same with the OT, I don't ALWAYS watch Widescreen, sometimes I put in a Fullscreen video just for a different viewing experience.

I still remain very pro-Widescreen though. :crazed:

chewie
09-27-2002, 10:09 PM
I do have one question about widescreen vs. fullscreen that I've never seen answered.

Does a fullscreen dvd have a larger (as in resolution), more detailed image of the blown up area, or is it just a cropped widescreen with no additional details showing up?

As for fullscreen movies. My opinion is shared by just about everybody. Don't care for them a single bit. If a movie was made/shown in widescreen, the same should carry over to a home edition.

Jango Jett
09-28-2002, 01:24 AM
I personally hate widescreen DVD's, the bars at the top and bottom of the screen are very distracting and the picture looks
too small, I like the full screen much better, it fills up the whole
tv screen and makes it easier to watch, wide screen looks good
at the theater but not so good on a small tv at home. :(

widescreen DVD's make me feel like Im looking through a tunnel
:frus: I passed on buying several DVD's this year because they
all come in widescreen these days, I like the ones that you can
flip over and have full screen or widescreen, they shoud make
them all like that so people can have a choice.

Darth Trymybestus
09-28-2002, 03:51 PM
As tv's become wider, widescreen will definitely look better, we used to have a more square tv and widescreen used to look so small on it.
We've now got a much wider and bigger tv and widescreen looks amazing, I can't wait to see Attack of the Clones again :)

Pendo
09-29-2002, 07:49 AM
I don't know how people can even say that the bars at the top and bottom of the screen are distracting? They must have a very short attention span if they can't concentrate on the movie and keep looking at the bars!
When you're driving do you say "The pavement either side of the road is distracting"?

If people actually concentrate on the movie they will probably forget the black bars are there.

PENDO!

Nexu
10-02-2002, 11:44 AM

Yeah. The DVD will be great. :D

mini-rock
10-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Nexu

Yeah. The DVD will be great. :D

FYI, this is already being discussed here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14765) .

Your right though, we are so close to getting this DVD, and the excitement is enough to make me hurl. The place I get my DVD's at should have it between now and 2 weeks before release date. Last year though I found it at Block B. 3 1/2 weeks before release date. :D

Nexu, I forgot to give you the thumbs up on your new location. NICE!:D

tagmac
11-17-2002, 05:04 PM
OK, I know most of you will never agree that there are ANY advantages of full screen over widescreen. Honestly, I won't buy any DVD in full screen if the widescreen version is available. However, with Ep. II, it's worth it to get BOTH.

Even though you lose a lot of the picture in full screen, the fact that it gives you a bigger picture allows for some of the little things in the background to be much more noticeable (especially since many of us do not have big screen, high def. TV's). This is especially so for the final battle, where a lot of the details are very tiny in widescreen, and thus easy to miss.

JesusFreak
11-17-2002, 05:15 PM
Yes that is one advantage to full screen, but IMO the negative things about full screen far outweigh the positive.

tagmac
11-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Agreed, that's why I bought both versions.

Beast
11-17-2002, 05:56 PM
That is hardly an advantage, because your slicing off the edges of the picture to get your "bigger picture". So all you are seeing is a magnified picture. The true "bigger picture" is Widescreen, because your pulling back and seeing the "big picture" ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
11-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
That is hardly an advantage, because your slicing off the edges of the picture to get your "bigger picture". So all you are seeing is a magnified picture. The true "bigger picture" is Widescreen, because your pulling back and seeing the "big picture" ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I totally agree with you Jar Jar, Widescreen is definitely best but on a small older tv, I think Fullscreen is best for that kind of tv.
We have a 28" tv and Widescreen looks nice :)

Nexu
11-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Watching it on a 27" HD tv is friggin awesome. Too bad my friend's 400 watt THX certified speakers weren't hooked up.

11-20-2002, 06:42 PM
O.K., I'm a fan of widescreen movies, but haven't done the DVD thing yet, and would like a complete collection of widescreen Episodes 1-6 on VHS. Why isn't EII available that way, and will it be? Anyone?

Beast
11-20-2002, 07:12 PM
I don't think they are going to bother with a WS VHS, which is unfortunate. But I do understand the reason behind it. Most people that care about seeing films in their OAR, have moved onto DVD by now. With the fact that you can get a cheap DVD player for about the same price as a VCR, there really is no excuse not to move onto DVD. Especially with the massive ammounts of wonderful DVD movie releases that are out there. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
11-20-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Watching it on a 27" HD tv is friggin awesome. Too bad my friend's 400 watt THX certified speakers weren't hooked up.

Hook them up, my friend. It's a whole different world! Siesmic charges- BRNNNNNT!

They way the sound flows overhead to the rears is awsome!

OC47150
11-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Do we even have to ask? WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkwind
12-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Fullscreen is okay coz widescreen is just weird ( black lines ) ,u say it chops bit's off .. well if u have a big tv u get a huge picture with about 98% of the chopped of bits viewable , so full screen get's my vote

mini-rock
12-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Hawkwind
Fullscreen is okay coz widescreen is just weird ( black lines ) ,u say it chops bit's off .. well if u have a big tv u get a huge picture with about 98% of the chopped of bits viewable , so full screen get's my vote

I suggest you read JJB's widescreen tutorial in his sig. If you prefer FF or P&S then I can respect that, but your post doesn't make one bit of sense to me.:)

12-19-2002, 03:35 PM
You know the thing about (some) DVD'S that ticks me off? Apparently both E1 and EII had these "special features" that included stuff like out-takes from the filming. In order to see them, though, you had to either spend hours trying to figure out the "secret" or track down the info on the net (assuming you knew that it existed in the first place). Personally, I don't want to waste my time. If I want a puzzle, I'll buy a rubiks cube. If I'm going to buy a DVD, I want to watch it! If its going to be included, don't hide it!

Darkross
12-20-2002, 11:47 AM
W I D E S C R E E N
I S
B E T T E R !

I only wish I had a DVD player :(