PDA

View Full Version : DVD-ROM features: Like 'em or Hate 'em?

JediTricks
09-26-2002, 12:00 AM
I don't have a DVD-ROM drive so I've never actually experienced such things, but I've noticed a lot of discs adding at least a little of these DVD-ROM-only features onto their discs and I was wondering what you guys thought of that.

Personally, I don't like the idea of paying for content I can't access.

Beast
09-26-2002, 12:07 AM
Some suck, somtimes it's text only stuff like Scripts and things. The newest abomination is Universal's Total Axxess deal. On the upcoming E.T. DVD, the Deleted Scenes and a few other things are only accessable on-line thru a DVD weblink. :mad: :(

I can usually ignore most DVD-ROM things, because they usually arn't all that intresting. Scripts and links to the Studio's Official Site, stuff that you have to read, those sorts of things are acceptable. Because it's usually a pain when your relaxing to watch a movie anyway. This is a total rip off though. :(

And it's going to be used for trailers and things on the "Back to the Future" Trilogy DVD set. Atleast prices on DVD-ROM drives are pretty nice now, so there will definatly be one in my next computer. But I would rather sit at my couch, when I want to watch things like Deleted Scenes or Trailers. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
09-26-2002, 10:13 AM
I've only popped my DVDs into the DVD-rom drive a couple of times. Nothing spectacular going on there. So it's not a big deal if they have DVD-rom features. To me it's just a bonus feature for guys that are into that stuff.

Web links? Who cares...

ROLLO!

Exhaust Port
09-26-2002, 11:39 AM
I don't own a DVD-ROM as I'm waiting for the burners to come down in price. The only disc that I bothered to try and watch the web-based features was TPM. I really didn't have a problem with the method presently but my only concern being the future support for them. We all own CD's (or know people who do) that are roughly 15 years old and they'll last several more decades. With the pace that computer technology changes (just look at how much it's changed in since CD's were released) I doubt that our ability to watch these features in the future will be maintained. I feel that I've bought these additional features as they were advertised as being part of the purchase. At anytime, a studio can decide to pull these from their servers leaving us high and dry. I still prefer to have any additional material burned onto the disc that I take home, not left sitting in the internet ether.

El Chuxter
09-26-2002, 01:12 PM
I don't have one, but normally don't care too much. Like JJB said, it's normally nonessential stuff. I did bring in TPM to work about a year ago to view the "Mystery" trailer online, but that's the only time I've viewed any DVD-ROM content.

My home computer needs a new CD-ROM, but it's so antiquated that it won't even run a DVD-ROM. Maybe when I get a new computer. :D

darthvyn
09-26-2002, 03:19 PM
as my computer is my entire entertainment center - my stereo, tv, dvd player, game console - the dvd rom is my only dvd player. well, i don't really care about the dvd rom contents too much - don't think i've ever really checked any of them out, to tell the truth. but the real benefit of having the computer be your dvd player is the resolution of the 'puter screen over a tv! seriously, i don't think i've seen a better playback of a dvd than on a computer! now all i need is the apple 23" cinema display... mmmmmm... huge screen... i don't even hava a mac - i'm pc. but this monitor is amazing!

QLD
09-26-2002, 05:31 PM
I have a DVD-ROM, and I still don't use the DVD-ROM features.

JediTricks
09-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Huh, I wonder why these studios even bother.

If Universal puts that Back to the Future stuff on DVD-ROM, they're gonna have a HUGE backlash of dissatisfied customers.

Boba Rhett
09-26-2002, 06:54 PM
I'd love the features....... if my dvd drive wasn't broken. :(

jedihunter25
09-26-2002, 07:51 PM
I really don't use them. The one time I did was when you can see the special AOTC trailer. Some DVD-ROM features have games on it like Pinball Panic from Monsters, INC. But I haven't tried it yet because it's probly lame like the one that came with Shrek.

JesusFreak
09-26-2002, 11:01 PM
Actually Pinball Panic isnt a DVD ROM feature, it's just a CD-Rom game that comes with the dvd, it's a decent pinball game.

Nexu
09-27-2002, 07:30 AM
I have DVD drive, and I think that its retarded that they will post the deleted scenes on the internet. Were they thinking at all? That is a good-sized download for the 56kers (not like it will matter to me though, cable bay-bee :D). Doesn't make sense to me in the least.

QLD
09-27-2002, 12:53 PM
yeah, I don't buy them so I can go online and then download them....

master jedi
09-27-2002, 05:06 PM
A lot of DVD-Rom features suck. I really liked the The Phantom Menace dvd features though.

I have a DVD-Rom drive but since I put Windows XP on my computer it won't play DVDs. It'll read them and I can go into the drive and see what's all on the DVD it just won't play 'em. I'm not nure if I have to wait 'til they release updates for my DVD-Rom drivers and/or video card drivers.

Beast
09-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Just saw this over at DVDAngle.com. Other then weblinks and such where you have to access the net to access the features the next generation of DVD players may be able to access DVD-Rom Content. :)

Follow Up: Yesterday I reported that Buena Vista, New Line, and Warner have all inked long-term deals with InterActual. Late last night, InterActual made a stunning statement. Many of the next generation DVD players will have an enhanced feature built in that allows you to access the PCFriendly ROM content on your settop player! According to the press release from InterActual, "[t]his marriage of technologies will enable consumers to access advanced and online features in the living room, thus complementing today’s experience on the substantial installed base of DVD-ROM enabled PC’s." InterActual and the studios have been working with the DVD Forum for over a year and the next generation machines, or "enhanced DVD players," will have a standardized format to take advantage of this unique opportunity. It's far too early to tell how this will be accepted by the millions of DVD lovers out there. It may be a triumph, or it may be a relegated niche market like NUON. Only time will tell...in any event, this is a cool bit of news.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-27-2002, 07:00 PM
I'll have to wait and see on that. Christ, the last thing I need is something ELSE dialing through my phone line.

Beast
09-27-2002, 07:30 PM
I don't think it accesses the net, QLD. It sounds like it will just allow you to use the regular DVD-ROM things. Any of the stuff that needs to access the internet will probably still be not accessable unless you have a DVD-ROM drive in your computer. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Roger swollen Osterich!!!

JON9000
09-30-2002, 03:57 PM
Most DVDrom stuff is worthless, but the ROM feature on the Lawrence of Arabia two disc set is great, extremely educational, and helps one understand the career of the protagonist in greater detail- with photos, interactive maps, timelines, and all sorts of cool stuff. That is the only exception I have found to the rule so far.