PDA

View Full Version : Geonosians

Jargo
10-27-2001, 10:41 AM
Wanted to bring this back because I found this image in my copy of 'The making of The Phantom Menace'. It made me realise how many of the episode one rejected designs are being re-used for episode two. We've covered the flying whales and the superdroids but I wanted to bring this discussion back.

Jargo
10-27-2001, 10:44 AM
As I can only post one pic at a time I split this post to bring you this episode two Geonosian which looks so like the rejected EP1 Neimoidian it's uncamnny :)

bigbarada
10-27-2001, 10:50 AM
Rehashing designs really isn't something new for Star Wars. Cloud City was originally planned to appear in ANH but was dropped and 'recycled' for ESB. And ROTJ? Death Star 2, nuff said.:)

I actually preferred the original designs for the Neimodians, so I'm glad they are finding a way to put those designs in the new movie.

Jargo
10-27-2001, 10:50 AM
And lastly this realscan version of the Geonosian. This is just a young Geonosian as it hasn't got the facial finnials of the older 'Archduke Poggle the Lesser' Seen in the previous pic.

I just thought this was at one level lazy design work with a "can't be bothered to think up anything new" feeling to it, but then after consideration offers a nice flow of design thinking in action. from the streamlined profile of the Neimoidian to the grizzled features of the Geonosian in the realscan. Neat! :) At least these aren't cute. It's nice to get some ugly characters in Star Wars. As long as Uncle George doesn't cutesy them out in post production that is.....

Jargo
10-27-2001, 10:52 AM
Oh for shame! Forgot the attachment...

bigbarada
10-27-2001, 10:54 AM
Ugly? I think he's quite cute already!:D

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-27-2001, 11:32 AM
they don't look very smart or evil...just kinda dull...

Co Jo-Da
10-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Their suppost to look like the Battle Droids, right...?

GNT
10-27-2001, 11:43 PM
In the first picture,the head reminds me of Sebulba :) Athough I cant waith to hear them and to buy figures of them :)

Obi-Don
10-28-2001, 05:23 AM
They do look like battle droids.But I think if they are done right, they just might be a good character.

Co Jo-Da
10-28-2001, 09:04 AM
I once heard that the Geonosians built the Battle Droids in their image, so thats why they look like.

Jargo
10-28-2001, 09:45 AM
There was a design done for episode one which had the battle droids using rockets to move around. These were part of their backpacks.
The thing that bothers me about the Geonosians making the battle droids in their own image is that a lot of the Geonosians are winged. If these new battle droids have flight capability then i can see that following but if not then the battle droid/Geonosian image thing doesn't totally work.

Anyway, as always, to illustrate my post:

Jargo
10-28-2001, 09:49 AM
And this other image....

Eternal Padawan
10-28-2001, 10:09 AM
Ugh. I hope there isn't extensive CGI of flying winged aliens in Episode II. No matter how real you make it, it looks fake. And cheesy. And takes you right out of the story.

GNT
10-29-2001, 12:56 AM
I like the flying Battle Droid with Bosster rocket, I hope they have that in EP2 :) as I would like a figure of one :)

Co Jo-Da
10-29-2001, 10:55 AM
I would be cool if the had wing that extented in flight.