PDA

View Full Version : Eeth Koth- the high strung member of the Council

Fulit
08-17-2001, 12:18 PM
Um, why did they make Eeth Koth in a retarded action pose? I have been looking forward to this figure for a while and now he's going to look weird standing next to the other JC members, who are standin there calmly while he's bracing himself for a Jedi throwdown. It's a cool pose, but totally unneeded in my opinion. I would have been happy w/ him just standing there like all the others, maybe with some super articulation.

Oh well, at least we're getting him.

Why does this thing say I posted this at 5:18 P.M.? It's 11:23 A.M. where I am!

AmanaMatt
08-17-2001, 01:13 PM
I agree. While a very good sculpt, the pose will look really weird next to the other Jedi. I do like the new lightsaber. My only real beef: the face sculpt looks a little...odd, or it could just be his, ' I'm gonna freak on something' look

pthfnder89
08-17-2001, 01:37 PM
Definitely, you all beat me to it but I'm thinking the same thing.

Unlike practically *any* of Hasbros "dramatic action poses" this one actually looks pretty good and (gasp!) looks like he might actuall be able to stand on his own!

But I'm just not sure why they decided that was necessary, because it's a little *too* dramatic.

I bet ya'll that it won't be more than 4 hours before someone writes a post *****ing about the new lightsaber sculpt. ;)
Personally I think it's pretty good.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 01:38 PM
I have my Plo Koon standing with his saber over his head in his right hand and his left arm straight out in front of him in a Force move, so it'll look ok next to that. Poor Sassy Tin is getting his butt whomped by Sith App Maul right next door though. ;)

I'm not entirely sold on the lightsaber sculpt yet, it's interesting, but SO different from the others and kinda Dark-Horse. I'll wait till I see it some more till I really make a judgement though, these are just my first impressions.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I bet ya'll that it won't be more than 4 hours before someone writes a post *****ing about the new lightsaber sculpt. ;)
Personally I think it's pretty good.
How about 1 minute? ;) I'm not sure my post was technically a complaint, but close enough. :D

evenflow
08-17-2001, 01:44 PM
Although the pose may not be the best thing in the world, it is still a very cool figure.
I was looking forward to this new lightsaber thing, but from the pictures, it does not look that cool. I have to wait to see it in person before i make a decision about the new saber technology. "

pthfnder89
08-17-2001, 01:53 PM
LOL Tricks,

Yeah that's the only thing I'm uncertain about as well. It's definiotely gonna stand out from all the other sabers.

Even though I like it, I can honsetly say that a more dynamic saber scuplt has never crossed my mind as something I want Hasbro to do. Including a hilt AND a full saber (or simply a hilt with a detachable blade) has always been a great thought to me, but I think the blades they have now are perfectly fine.

AmanaMatt
08-17-2001, 01:58 PM
it looks like, from the pic, that his lightsaber his molded to his right hand?! Please tell me I'm seeing things, cause that would be Uber-lame!

pthfnder89
08-17-2001, 02:02 PM
I kind of thought that too Amanamatt.

I think it's just placed really high in his hand so they can show of the new saber as much as possible. I don't see Hasbro making such a big deal about the new sculpt if it was stuck in his hand.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 02:10 PM
It's just glue, they use it to hold most prototype display figures' accessories into their hands.

The thing I find weirdest about the new style of "flare" on the saber is that it seems more inappropriate here than it would on a figure like Jedi Duel Qui-Gon, where he can hold his saber with 2 hands and look like he's activating it.

AmanaMatt
08-17-2001, 02:21 PM
thanks on the info, guys! That's good news about just being glue.

JT, I agree with you in regards to the new lightsaber style for this fig. That being said, I find the new look 'interesting'

Pellaeon
08-17-2001, 03:17 PM
This figure looks like Qui-Gon Jinn trying to impersonate Darth Maul!

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 05:58 PM
You know......these ARE toys, and toys ARE meant to be played with. So, he has more playability that way. I mean who is going to have any fun with a toy that looks like he is bored and is just sitting there (Yoda)? I think he looks great, if you want to make him sit, that's where customizing comes in.

Pellaeon
08-17-2001, 06:31 PM
Yes, they are toys, but the problem with fixed action poses is that the figures frequently don't fit well into vehicles. Now, if his legs and arms are articulated so he could be bent to fit into an X-Wing, then thats okay.

In terms of playing with the toys, I'm too old now. Heck, I got made fun of at work when I was holding my Gumby character, Prickle (okay, no dirty jokes!)

pthfnder89
08-17-2001, 07:24 PM
Well, take your own figure for instance Plo ;)

Plo Koon is so well sculpted and has such well positioned articulation that he can be standing calmly, getting ready to defend something, or just kicking the crap out of somebody.

And the great part is, YOU get to choose which one it is, you don't have to hope for a resculpt of the figure in order to have him doing something else.

But my biggest gripe about Hasbros action poses has *always* been that they rarely if ever stand without bending them at the legs until their spine snaps. I think they start out ok in the sculpting stage but when the molds are shrunk or something, they just get screwed up. Look at the Death Star Trooper, or especially Arvel Krynyd from the Pilots 3 pack. He's my favorite figure in that 3 pack except he has to be bent WAAY backwards to stand.

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 07:47 PM
No the problem with Plo Koon, is he can't kick! He is trapped inside his robe! And Eeth Koth doesn't need to pilot an X-Wing, he is a Jedi, and people think of Jedi as slicing people in half and getting into battle!

Starfig873
08-17-2001, 10:01 PM
Y'know I really, really think the new saber blade looks cool! I don't know why but I think this was a good move by Hasbro.

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 10:10 PM
HERE HERE! I agree it looks neat! Time for a change!

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 10:11 PM
It does look like the Dark Horse Comics version! Neat! I love it! Brilliant!

GNT
08-17-2001, 10:35 PM
I kinda think his cool and might be one of the best council members ever!

I also dig the new lightsaber and blad!

sleth
08-18-2001, 03:15 AM
My first impression of Eeth was that he looked like he was from a comic book. I haven't decided weather this is good or bad.:confused: Even though the pose is a bit much. I was just hoping that the new saber would look a little more tappered towards the end, instead of being straight. But, the flare at the bottom looks cool too. All I know is the AOTC figures better have saber handles that fit on their belts.:mad:

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Pellaeon
Yes, they are toys, but the problem with fixed action poses is that the figures frequently don't fit well into vehicles. Now, if his legs and arms are articulated so he could be bent to fit into an X-Wing, then thats okay.

In terms of playing with the toys, I'm too old now. Heck, I got made fun of at work when I was holding my Gumby character, Prickle (okay, no dirty jokes!) Yes, I couldn't agree more about how the action pose is limiting to the figure fitting in the vehicles Pellaeon! Also, just because they're toys doesn't mean they ALWAYS have to be played with in a violent manner.

Prickle, was he the dinosaur-type guy with a sorta bad attitude?

PloKoon, when I bought your namesake figure, he was trapped in that robe of his... for about five minutes till I whipped out a knife. Free and clear to navigate, and my Plo now has a high-stepping action pose with his saber over his head in his right hand & his left hand stretched out in front of him in a Force-move. You can't do that with figures like POTJ Lando, which is a real shame because I think the most important part of these toys is the versatility, allowing a kid's mind to go beyond what they see on the screen, to make up their own Expanded Universe where Luke pilots a B-wing, where Han copilots a Snowspeeder with Wedge on a secret mission, or where Obi-Wan must fly a Naboo Fighter to stop a war before it begins.

Pellaeon
08-20-2001, 05:07 PM
Tricks,

Yes, Prickle was the yellow dinosaur with the bad attitude, kinda whined alot. I can just see him as a short lived sith apprentice....:p

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are making all of these new figs. Hopefully, however, these are protypes and they make a few "adjustments" before we see them on the cards.