PDA

View Full Version : Best Horror movies

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2001, 10:47 AM
By dividing movies into their genres, what are some of your favorite horror flicks? I myself am not a horror or gore fan, so my list will be small.

Silence of the Lambs
Nightmare on Elm St. 2

That's it. You've gotta have more than that!

bigbarada
10-27-2001, 11:07 AM
The only movie that really had me scared outta my britches was American Werewolf in London.

Other than that I like the Evil Dead series for pure silliness value.

Lobito
10-27-2001, 02:00 PM
Ok, here it goes:

The Omen I, II and III
The exorcist
Amytiville I and II...(Satanic and the possesion) im not sure if Amytiville is writen correctly though...

preacher
10-27-2001, 03:45 PM
Silence of the Lambs
Omen series
Exorcist
Amityville series
Hellraiser series
Evil Dead I, II
se7en
8mm

Brave Sir Robin
10-27-2001, 06:20 PM
It's arguably a horror movie- Sleepy Hollow. Tim Best Director Ever Burton at his very best.

GNT
10-27-2001, 08:49 PM
The Scream movies......

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-27-2001, 10:50 PM
I saw the Exorcist with my brother for the first time earlier in the month. It was so scary that we both agreed to stop the movie towards the end and finish the ending the next day (during daylight) because it was getting too late and spookier into the night. Let me just say for a movie made over 25 years ago, that is one chilling movie.

master jedi
10-28-2001, 08:00 PM
The first one I remember seeing that really scared me was Steven King's 'It'. Then I thought 'I don't need to be afraid of this. And my pants are washable.'

TeeEye7
10-29-2001, 07:21 AM
Titanic :p

evenflow
10-29-2001, 08:18 AM
The Exorcist
Some Twilight Zone stuff was scary

master jedi
10-29-2001, 02:06 PM
Oh yes, Titanic. Now that's one scary movie.

Lobito
10-29-2001, 04:09 PM
I forgot the first two parts of Halloween, and a movie called thw Witch.:eek:

Dialogus
04-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Suspiria
The Exorcist
Evil Dead (first)
Friday the 13th - Final Chapter
A nightmare on Elm street (first)
Halloween III - Season of the Witch
The Blair Witch Project
The Ring

...an old movie where a big black car (Cadillac?) driven by the Devil is causing havoc in a smalltown, maybe someone knows the title??

Kidhuman
04-29-2003, 10:17 PM
The Exorcist
Nightmare on Elm Street(one)
The Fog
Amityville Horror(one) I used to live about 1/2 hour from the house. Kinda creepy looking when you see it.

Darth Jax
04-29-2003, 10:38 PM
poltergeist, scared me as a wee lad when i first saw it.
blackout, story of a slightly deranged father who kills his family and then sets himself up a new family to kill. not sure if it actually enjoyed a wide release, believe when i saw it about 15 years ago it was made for HBO.

those are some of the fave movies that scared me. as for truly the best movies from the horror genre i'd go with a couple of 'classics' - dial M for murder, night of the living dead and pyscho. scream was a great mocking of the genre that included it's share of blood and boo moments. more recent movies that could be considered, but are more of suspence flicks are silence of the lambs and frailty.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-29-2003, 11:25 PM
JAWS!!!
Hellraiser
Hellraiser: Hellbound
Poltergeist
Friday the 13th #1, 2 and 4
Halloween #1 and 2

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Gonna beat Bobafettfield too it.. :D

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead

Very creepy movies and psychologically terrifying.

The Exorcist
Poltergeist
Jaws (not so much anymore, but c'mon, after you watch it, you're scared to step foot in the ocean for at least a week)
Mermaids (shudders sideshow bob style) Reason #252052057227507 Cher needed to stop acting.

Cheers!! :D

EricRG
04-30-2003, 12:46 AM
Hellraiser I & II
Trilogy of Terror
I was also pretty scared by Communion and Fire in the Sky

Lamest horror movie ever: Maximum Overdrive

jedihunter25
04-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Evil Dead 2
Hellraiser
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Ring
All the Marry-Kate and Ashly Olsen Movies

QLD
04-30-2003, 02:12 AM
Star Wars Episode Two: Attack of the Clones.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
Star Wars Episode Two: Attack of the Clones.

ROFLMAO!

HERE, HERE!!

2-1B
04-30-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by jedihunter25
All the Marry-Kate and Ashly Olsen Movies

:cry: Even "Our Lips are Sealed" ? :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Gonna beat Bobafettfield too it.. :D

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead

You mean the 30th Anniversary NOTLD, right Guyute? That is such a great movie, what with added scenes and new music. Now, let me be the first to post Night of the Living Dead 1968 Unaltered Original version as being my favorite. For all we know, Guyute, you could mean any of the versions of Night. Now if only that DOTD remake was already out and then I could say you probably meant that one, too. All right :cool:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-30-2003, 11:18 AM
There are many horror/thriler flicks I enjoy, from Psycho to Aliens but my favorite one is a movie that came out sometime in the 80s called Terror in the Aisles. It was a movie that just had clips from other horror movies. It was narrated by Nancy Allen from RoboCop and Donald Pleasance from Halloween. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember they sit in a fake movie theater and talk about different aspects of horror flicks before each segment of clips. They show everything from older movies up to the latest at that time.

DewMan37
05-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Evil Dead series...
Jaws...
Pitch Black and Blade if they count...(They're more Sci-Fi than Horror..)

Hellboy
05-04-2003, 01:39 AM
My top 5 Horror Movies:

- Suspiria - Dario Argento is a horror genius.
- Halloween - Most influential Horror movie of all time.
- Night of the living dead - A true classic
- se7en - Not many movies will disturb you as much as this one did.
- House of 1000 Corpses - Best horror movie I've seen in recent years. Truly disturbing and hardcore.

InsaneJediGirl
05-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Titanic *Shudders*

The Shining-Not so much scary,but this is probably one of the best scary make-you-think movies
"It"-I still cannot look at clowns or go near street drains
Jaws-Hey,it could happen
Halloween 1&2

DarthChuckMc
05-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Foreign: Susperia, Tenebre, Deep Red by Dario Argento

American classics: Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, Jaws, Amityville Horror

If you wanna talk GORE, check out Flower of Flesh and Blood or Mermaid in the Manhole. Those'll give your gag reflex and run for it's money.

In the last 10 years: House of 1000 Corpses, The Ring, Mothman Prophecies.

mrmiller
05-05-2003, 01:57 PM
The Shining - psyhcological creeps me out movie
Evil Dead - Gore fest
The Thing (Carpenters)- Best Horror film

Also Jurrasic Park is really a horror movie, so I'll throw that in.

=MATT=

DewMan37
05-05-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm halfway through Seven now, it isn't bad, so far at least. Pretty good movie, so far at least.

The 'Xir
05-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Man...You guys were actually starting to scare me!!!
Thank God for the last 3 or 4 posts, when people finally started naming off the all time greats like: The Shinning, Psycho, NotLD, Texas Chainsaw Masacre. I don't think anyone has Mentioned 'Friday the 13th' yet, Monkey Shines and what about Hellraiser! However, those that have been mentioned are definitely some of the best ever like, JAWS, The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Silence of the Lambs, Halloween, Amityville Horror, and Poltrigeist!
You guys have missed all the C's though too like: Carrie, Christine, Cat's Eye, Children of the Corn!!!
I think The 6th Sense can be added, and some campy ones like The Thing, The Blob, and Childs Play! I'd add Creep Show, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I can't remember if it was actually scary or just funny!

2-1B
05-13-2003, 03:41 AM
I watched The Last House on the Left on DVD tonight . . . I need to take a shower now. :cry: :dead:

Deoxyribonucleic
05-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
I'd add Creep Show, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I can't remember if it was actually scary or just funny!

Well, I'd have to say it was more funny now that I'm an adult, although I have to say the whole idea of getting burried up to your neck in the sand on the beach and having to wait for high tide to drown still pretty much creeps me OUT!

I mentioned Friday the 13th, I grew up on those as I didn't normally watch Disney. I loved my horror movies, thanks to my Mom for renting them for me and watching them with me! :)

2-1B
05-14-2003, 02:15 AM
Creepshow 2 spins a nice yarn about a buried old man who returns from the grave for his Father's Day cake . . . :D

*still feeling dirty about LHOTL* :(

James Boba Fettfield
05-14-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Creepshow 2 spins a nice yarn about a buried old man who returns from the grave for his Father's Day cake . . . :D

You are kidding about that, right?

2-1B
05-14-2003, 01:47 PM
No, I think it's actually a pretty cool segment. :)

Or are you actually asking if I made up the story? :confused:
In that case, no - it's really in the movie. :)

scruffziller
05-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Yea it sure kicks Michael Jackson's Thriller all around the office.

Wait I think that is actually Creepshow 1, you are thinking of.

James Boba Fettfield
05-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Creepshow 2 had the story about the wooden Indian statue at that store that had its owners robbed and killed, a story about that hitchhiker dude who dies, and a story about some black ooze stuff in a lake that kills the people who swim in it. That's what I meant by kidding.

That story you're talking about is from the first Creepshow, Caesar. Best part of it all, Ed Harris taking a headstone to the skull! I agree man, that story from Creepshow always got me as a kid. I love it.

The 'Xir
05-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Like I said, It's been so long I don't remember half of it, was Creepshow the one with the scene where all the bugs and/or roaches were all crawling out of the sink? What was that? Actuallly maybe that was Fright Night! Wow, talk about campy!!!

James Boba Fettfield
05-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Yep, Creepshow had that as it's final story. I think the segment was titled They're Creeping Up On You, or something close to that.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
Like I said, It's been so long I don't remember half of it, was Creepshow the one with the scene where all the bugs and/or roaches were all crawling out of the sink? What was that? Actuallly maybe that was Fright Night! Wow, talk about campy!!!

That one always makes me think of Howard Hughes :p LOL

Lobito
06-02-2003, 04:58 PM
...an old movie where a big black car (Cadillac?) driven by the Devil is causing havoc in a smalltown, maybe someone knows the title??

The Car:eek:

2-1B
02-07-2004, 01:10 AM
You are kidding about that, right?

Jeez, you were a little rough on me there, don't you think? :(
God forbid I switch around 1 and 2 after not seeing them for over a decade. :D

Well, I think Creepshow 2 is underrated. No it is not as good as 1 but with 3 stories instead of 5 there is less to choose from. Plus, 1 had a nice wrap around story with the voodoo doll while 2 gives us that lame animated venus flytrap story.

WAY too much animation in 2, for me that's the biggest downer. Yeah, I know, Creepshow is based on the old comics but this does not do it for me.

Anyway I just recently purchased both of these titles on DVD (5.50 and 9.99, respectively) so I'm in a Creepshow mood having just watched them these past two nights. :cool:

Hey, I think The Raft is a great story from 2. Any thoughts as to what the hell it's supposed to be, anyway? :D I remembered Old Wood'nhead (vaguely) and The Hitchhiker was familiar to me even though I forgot most of it. However, The Raft was like a totally new segment to me because I had no recollection of it.

My thought of the ooze was that it served an anti-pollution message. :D
Humans have done some damage to the earth and now it's literally coming back to haunt them. Then of course after the last guy gets swallowed up whole, we pan right and see the No Swimming sign. Truly poetic. :crazed:

I don't know if that was the meaning, if any, behind the segment but that's what I took from it.

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2004, 02:26 AM
You just don't go mixing up the Creepshows! :D

I always took the raft story as an anti-drug message. Kids smoking dope on their way to the lake, smoking dope on the raft, etc. Maybe throw in the pollution theory, too. Always the "bad" kids getting killed, though, isn't it? Right, Kevin Bacon? Remember when your character Jack lit up to smoke some of that in Friday the 13th?

Smoke dope and the monster will always get you.

jeddah
02-09-2004, 03:48 AM
You just don't go mixing up the Creepshows! :D

I always took the raft story as an anti-drug message. Kids smoking dope on their way to the lake, smoking dope on the raft, etc. Maybe throw in the pollution theory, too. Always the "bad" kids getting killed, though, isn't it? Right, Kevin Bacon? Remember when your character Jack lit up to smoke some of that in Friday the 13th?

Smoke dope and the monster will always get you.

Well, no-one's said it so I will ;) "the book is much better than the film" heh heh. I'm not sure if Stephen King was referencing drugs at all in "The Raft" when he wrote it in the Skeleton Crew collection, but they certainly smoke some weed in the story, and he really plays up the psychedelic colours in the ooze slick which hypnotises them.

Actually, Skeleton Crew contains some fantastic short stories; "The Mist" being one of the best.

jeddah

arctangent
02-09-2004, 04:59 AM
personal faves are:

se7en
hellraiser 1 & 2
the sixth sense
angel heart
dust devil

i saw the exorcist for the first time late last year (it has been banned for many years in the uk) and i wondered what all the fuss was about. i can see how it was probably very scarey and controversial in the seventies but i was just board. i have also seen both versions of the ring and can't see what the fuss about those is either.

Hellboy
02-10-2004, 05:15 PM
i have also seen both versions of the ring and can't see what the fuss about those is either.

I agree completely. :confused: I don't need my movies to be totally realistc but the premise for this film was so unbelievable that it fails to be scary.

I too loved Creepshow but part 2 wasn't really very good. The Raft story was cool but the other 2 weren't my bag. "Thanks for the ride lady" :dead: :crazed:

Another movie that I would consider a personal favorite is 28 days later. I recently watched it again and was reminded of just how good this movie is. I highly recommend it especially if you're a fan of zombie-horror. :cool:

Darth Trymybestus
02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
For me, it's gotta be Cape Fear with Nick Nolte and Robert DeNiro. That's my worst nightmare.

Jaws is a close 2nd. :)

Darth Kirk
02-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Hmm, I guess the scariest for me would be Fulci's 'Zombie'.. Fulci is an Italian director that made quite a few horror films in the 70's.. His films have a creepiness and grossness factor that still seem to affect me today.. Check it out, though beware, don't blame me if you get nightmares. :cool:

2-1B
02-11-2004, 02:25 AM
I always took the raft story as an anti-drug message. Kids smoking dope on their way to the lake, smoking dope on the raft, etc. Maybe throw in the pollution theory, too. Always the "bad" kids getting killed, though, isn't it? Smoke dope and the monster will always get you.

Well, that part of it was pretty obvious. :D

I guess the twist here is that the "prude" of the group was actually the FIRST to die (when she usually survives the terror in other films :p ). Although, maybe that IS her blessing since she didn't have to live through more of the horror like the other kids did ? :crazed:

2-1B
02-11-2004, 02:42 AM
Well, no-one's said it so I will ;) "the book is much better than the film" heh heh. I'm not sure if Stephen King was referencing drugs at all in "The Raft" when he wrote it in the Skeleton Crew collection, but they certainly smoke some weed in the story, and he really plays up the psychedelic colours in the ooze slick which hypnotises them.

Actually, Skeleton Crew contains some fantastic short stories; "The Mist" being one of the best.

jeddah

Thanks for the info, jeddah. :)

Psychedelic color sounds much more interesting than the tarp they used for the film. :D

Seriously, I'm talking about the shots of the ooze booking full throttle for the kid who made an attempt to swim away. It looks like it is mostly a black tarp with strings attached to it with which to pull from off camera. :crazed:
Other than that, I thought the effects were very well done. :)

Something I was thinking about while watching a few nights ago:
What's the deal with the last guy who starts stripping the girl while she sleeps? Two friends have died and this guy is worried about molesting that poor girl. :confused: I know, I know, that way the audience can actually take some pleasure in his death at the end. But I think the same effect could have been achieved in a better way:

As the film plays out, there is an irony in that the ooze could have just swooped up into the air the whole time and ended things much sooner. But of course it doesn't: it plays around with the victims.

Like I said earlier, we get to take some enjoyment in that guy's death because of what he did to the girl. When I was watching it and I saw the guy lay her down softly on the raft, I thought he was using her as bait so that he could make a break for it.

Instead, he lays her down to cop some cheap thrills and when the ooze surprises him by making a fast move through the cracks and onto her face, he freaks out and makes an impromtu break for it ! Oh, he certainly had it coming for what he did to her but wouldn't it have been more ironic and shameful had he really used her as bait? That way, he would have tried to outsmart the ooze and the best part of all is that the ooze could have gotten him at any time.

I think it would say alot about loyalty and friendship, how we treat others when our own skin is on the line.

Do I make sense here ? :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2004, 03:49 AM
Fulci's Zombie (or Zombi 2, however you want to look at it) is great for zombie effects and gore!

"We are going to eat you!"

I love the graveyard scene with the spanish conquistadors. Shark fight with a zombie, another great moment. Then there's the infamous eye scene. ;)

First half of the story takes a bit to get started, but once it does it doesn't stop. I love it since I believe zombies to be the greatest! Fucli is a legend in horror, he's certainly missed. I'd recommend House by the Cemetary, it's another cool Fulci flick. The movie is kind of "out there", but I enjoyed it.

I just thought of two other good films of his, City of the Living Dead and The Beyond. More zombie madness!

2-1B
02-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Any fans of Dead & Buried ?

I never saw it so I thought I would take a gamble and buy the 2disc DVD sight unseen.

I enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. Not heavy on the gore so much but that's fine. Also, they were hyping up the "hypodermic needle in the eye" scene which must have been originally cut but I wasn't freaked out by it. :)

Decent flick, nice early appearance by Robert Englund and man oh man is Lisa Blount (Officer and a Gentleman) ever fine ! :D

Dobbs, the mortician, is CLASSIC - his part rocked!

In fact he is easily my second favorite Funeral Director in all of cinema (behind Angus Scrimm as the Tall Man, of course ;) ).

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I too loved Creepshow but part 2 wasn't really very good. The Raft story was cool but the other 2 weren't my bag. "Thanks for the ride lady" :dead: :crazed:

That's because George ****in' A. Romero was involved with the first!

Another movie that I would consider a personal favorite is 28 days later. I recently watched it again and was reminded of just how good this movie is. I highly recommend it especially if you're a fan of zombie-horror. :cool:

I highly recommend The Crazies to those who are fans of Romero and 28 Days Later. Buy it today.

Now for my favorite horror debate: Evil Dead 2, remake or sequel?
;)

Hellboy
02-11-2004, 03:40 PM

I highly recommend The Crazies to those who are fans of Romero and 28 Days Later. Buy it today.

Now for my favorite horror debate: Evil Dead 2, remake or sequel?
;)

I almost forgot about Romero's "The Crazies". I haven't seen that in a while. Pretty similar to 28 days if I remember correctly except it deals more with the outbreak and the resulting breakdown of society rather than the aftermath. Thanks for the recommendation JBF I definately need to see this film again so I just might add it to my collection.

As far as Evil Dead 2 goes I say it's not a sequel to the first film because Ash did not return to the cabin a second time. I think it's basically a remake of the first movie with a slightly different plot and a completely different ending. I read that Sam Raimi wanted to start this movie where the first one left off, but was unable to get permission from New Line Cinema to use footage from the first movie. So he was forced to create a new point from which to start Evil Dead 2.

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2004, 03:55 PM
I think the official word on ED 2 is that it's a remake, but I view it as a sequel. If you ignore about the first 5-10 minutes of ED 2, it matches right up with the end of ED 1. I always ignore the beginning to it, since they filmed it because of "rights issues." I know those who argue it being a remake use the "why would Ash return to the bridge in the first and second movie if it's a sequel" argument, but it still doesn't sway my belief to think of ED 2 as a continuation and not a bigger budget retelling. I swear, that's like the most heated argument we have at the fangoria horror boards. Always brings out the worst in people. That said, I love ED 2. My favorite scene being the part where Ash has everything in the cabin laughing at him. Love it!

Yes, The Crazies is a nice film in a similar fashion as 28 Days Later with the reasons you mentioned being some of the differences, Hellboy. I think Anchor Bay is the studio responsible for its DVD release, so I expect it to be fairly decent in the quality area. I'll have to buy it one of these days.

2-1B
02-17-2004, 04:34 AM

Still, he did the screenply for Creepshow 2, right ? :confused:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I said it in the Dawn thread; it's been so long since I saw Dawn or Day of the Dead but I just recently picked up that Day 2 disc edition and I have to say . . . .

Day of the Dead is currently my favorite horror film. lol
Say what you will about GAR not being able to do anything near what he wanted to do - that may have made for a great film but let me tell you what he came up with is still a masterpiece !

I love everything about this movie. The characters, the plot, the GORE, I love everything about it.

I read somewhere online last night (IMDb probably) where someone said he enjoyed the movie except for the lame ending. Huh ? :rolleyes:
I LOVE the ending. The whole movie is dark and bleak and while it ends with the 3 of them on the beach, it's STILL dark and bleak because it's not like everything was wrapped up neatly for them. And hey, given the way that zombie gets it with the shovel, I NEED a bit of a happy release. :crazed:

The gore is wonderful and it holds up pretty damn well 20 years later ! The guy who takes the first neckbite (can't remember his name - was it Torres?) anyway the blood flow on that guy was a little over the top but still decent.

Bub the Zombie, are you kidding me? Only in a Romero social commentary film could I be rooting for the same monster who would rip my neck out if given the chance. :D

Day of the Dead: currently my favorite horror film. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-17-2004, 09:07 AM
If IMDB is correct, he did take part in the writing with King and another person. I wonder how involved he was with this film compared to the first.

It was amazing what Romero was able to do with that film after he realized he wasn't going to be able to create his original vision for the film. If only Peter had showed up at the helicopter toward the end of the movie. That Dawn music could have started playing, and Peter runs in knocking the zombies away. Yeah . . . that would of been great.

2-1B
02-17-2004, 11:28 AM
"would have." :D

So what is your overall opinion of Day, JBH ? :)
I'm sure you don't like it as much as Dawn . . . ;)

and did you ever see Dead & Buried ? :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Would have, eh. This is where I should abuse my moderator powers and remove any errors and references to those errors.

I love Day of the Dead. The dead look their best ever in the trilogy (Savini's remake excluded). The reason I would prefer Dawn is because the movie is fun. Night and Day take a darker look at the world, but Dawn feels different with its approach to the subject.

The characters were another thing about Day that I felt were inferior to Dawn. Rhoades was great, though, with his talk about running the monkey farm. I just didn't connect with the characters like I did with Roger and Peter. Now if Romero had gone with the ending where Peter does kill himself in the end and Fran lets her head get taken off by the helicopter blades, well, I probably would not have liked it as much. I'd love the films, but the ending to Dawn is what lifts it above the others for me. Peter is ready to kill himself, but then he changes his attitude and decides to kick zombie a** and live to see another day with Fran. That scene said something to me about the nature of man and survival in the face of incredible odds, but I have spoken to people who would have liked to see that alternate ending where everybody dies.

I have never seen Dead & Buried, but I notice it has a nice dvd release and Dan O'Bannon was involved with it, so that is good. Perhaps in the future this will be viewed, but until then I can offer no opinion, other than most zombie movies are good. Yes, even Redneck Zombies has its moments.

2-1B
02-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Good post JBH, I love reading your thoughts on horror. :)

I can't fault you for preferring Dawn over Day, not at all.
Still, I'm just so glad that the argument can even exist because we have 2 different movies to compare. I love that. :D
I mean, Dawn is a classic and a masterpiece, no doubt! So I love the fact that Day is not just a rehash or ripoff, it's a different thing.

Dead & Buried - do check it out ! :cool:
Was it worth (for me) buying sight unseen?
No . . . well, probably not. The movie is very good but I don't feel the need to own it. Yet, I haven't even touched the bonus disc yet so maybe it is a great part of my collection. The jury's still out on that but I definitely recommend that you give it a rental. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah, it's impossible for Romero to repeat his films with the dead. Each time the dead become greater in number and the people fewer. Then Romero takes a look at the world we live in and puts that into the story. It's not just a movie about survival, there's other comments being made. To this day his greatest comment made was when he cast Duane Jones to play Ben in Night. It's hard for him to reproduce that feat again, and I applaud him for it.

When the Dead Reckoning script was released, people on the net gave comments. Those who enjoyed Romero movies from the past understood why he put the class struggle idea in the script and focused on the living dead less. Many fans went against this and said they wanted zombies and gore to be the focus. The idea of a commentary on society was wrong for a zombie film. Figure that one out, Romero's been doing it for years and now you complain? It made me wonder if these people had ever seen Romero's other dead films. I didn't quite follow why some people thought the movie would be bad for because of what Romero comments on.

Well, at least for those people they will be happy to know that House of the Dead will be having a sequel. There they can watch their zombie movie with gore a minute and matrix moves to go with it.

Thanks for the comments, Caesar. I love discussing horror in any media and find any way I can to fit the genre in everyday life. Perhaps I think too much about it, but oh well.

Hellboy
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
After reading the comments posted by you guys (Caesar and JBF) regarding "Day of the Dead" I'm feeling compelled to re-visit this movie. I haven't seen it in over 10 years, mainly because I remember not caring for it. Maybe I judged it unfairly so I'll check it out again since I remember very little about it and Night and Dawn are 2 of my all time horror favorites. I do however have a question for you Romero Dead fans out there. Which do you like better Night or Dawn of the Dead?

2-1B
02-18-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm a big fan of TCM, so I was delighted to get my signed photos of Bubba today. :D

2-1B
02-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Night or Dawn ?
Tough call for me to make . . . I like each for different reasons. I can't even pick a favorite version of Night (original vs. remake) so I won't compare it to Dawn either. :crazed:

Hellboy, PLEASE give Day another chance ! ! ! :)
If you do, make sure you rent the current DVD which is out. I'd be curious to hear your review (good or bad :) ).

I'm about to log off and watch some of the behind the scenes docs on disc 2. :D

Dr Zoltar
02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Here are a few more:

Dagon
The 9th Gate
Phantasm (My personal favorite)
Jacob's Ladder (Based on Siesta)

And for laughs:

Critters
Necronomicon
From Beyond
Re-Animator

Hellboy
02-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Very cool signed pics Caesar. :cool: I'm jealous

Do you always get your autographs personalized? I usually do that with mine, especially when I'm planning on keeping them forever. I've found that the stars seem to appreciate it more too. I suppose it shows you're a real fan rather than someone who only hopes to profit off their signature. :greedy:

2-1B
02-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Yup, I much prefer personalized autographs. I have no interest in selling down the road, I just don't. :) I had to pay for the Leatherface pics but they were only $10. Meh. :D I hope to see GH at a convention some day but if not, this will have to do. :crazed:

Phantasm - great flicks even though I don't always understand them. If I can reincorporate the autographs into the discussion: I sent a letter to Angus Scrimm aka the Tall Man last summer and I got a nice small signed photo of him. He also sent back my fan letter answering some questions, or shall I say writing ALL OVER my letter, it's great. He told me to check out a small film coming out which he filmed with Bruce Campbell in my state (I can't recall offhand, I need to double check).
Anyway, the Tall Man is great and I really like Reggie Banister in those movies, too. :)

Jacob's Ladder - I need to revisit this film. I saw it as a kid and hated it. I'm sure I was just not able to understand the picture. Thanks Dr. Zoltar, I need to get on that. :)

Re-animator - great stuff ! I love Jeffrey Combs; that's a great movie. Still, I agree that it is "for laughs." :D

Critters - sure, I remember those movies. Scott Grimes was in them, right ? :crazed:

Hey, does anybody remember a film called Terrorvision ? It's been many many years since I saw it but I remember laughing quite often. Something about an alien entity - I think it had a giant eyeball - and it travelled through power lines and into its victims' TVs. Funny stuff. :D

Dr Zoltar
02-20-2004, 05:07 PM
He told me to check out a small film coming out which he filmed with Bruce Campbell in my state (I can't recall offhand, I need to double check).
Anyway, the Tall Man is great and I really like Reggie Banister in those movies, too. :)
That would be Bubba Ho-Tep. I caught a screening when it was in Seattle for a week. It was alright. It had it's moments.

Phantasm is definately my all time favorite horror film. Guess I should send a fan letter to Angus Scrimm (whose real name is Lawrence Guy) and Reggie (who is in Bubba Ho-Tep).

As for Critters, I think that's Scott Grimes. The town drunk who was in all 4 films, right?

2-1B
02-26-2004, 12:36 AM
I rented Dead Alive and watched it for the first time in years. I forgot how good that movie really is ! I need to buy the DVD. :D

I rejoiced in the gore and carnage - what a goofy film. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2004, 03:58 AM
Anyone here familiar with Cannibal Holocaust?

Hellboy
02-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Anyone here familiar with Cannibal Holocaust?

I remember a movie called 'Jungle Holocaust' that came out in the seventies I think. It had some guys getting traped on some kind of cannibal island. Is that the same film?

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Nah, Cannibal Holocaust is a Blair Witch sort of film. The documentary footage of a team of researchers is found. This team was documenting a tribe which turns out to be a tribe of cannibals. So their footage is found and you learn what happened to the team at the hands of this tribe. It's a gruesome film. It's notorious for its real scenes of animals being killed. I don't remember too much about the film, but I do think I recall a scene with a turtle. I don't remember the other animal scenes, though.

Hellboy
02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I've never heard of that but it sounds interesting. All except for the animals that were killed for the sake of the film. :cry: Thats pretty messed up IMO. Is this one of those films like 'Faces of Death' that you usually can't find in video stores because of it's extreme content?

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure of its availability in stores...I would be surprised if it was something you could walk into a Blockbuster and rent. Just don't get it confused with the similar titled film, Cannibal Ferox.

As for the animals, the way I understand: These was made in the late 70's I believe. It was not a big budget movie and the film crew actually filmed in jungles. Now while filming this crew needed to eat. So the animals they killed for filming they also ate. I'm not sure if that makes it any better, but I don't take too much offense as to what they did.

I thought I read something about the film getting a dvd release about a year ago, but I haven't looked too much into it.

I'm laughing about your mention of Faces of Death. It's sad to think people believe that entire series was 100% true.

So Hellboy, if you're looking to see this film I'm not sure where to begin looking. Nothing like the world of exploitation films. Again, I'm not an expert on these sorts of flicks as I've only seen a handful of them.

2-1B
02-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, Faces of Death has plenty of staged footage from what I understand.

Have you ever seen anything from the Traces of Death series? In my younger days I saw several of their videos and some of the images still haunt me today. :(
On one hand (if they really show true carnage), I find such video series to be highly immoral for their exploitative nature and their disrepect for the dead.
But then again, the way some people are in this world, I wonder if maybe some footage like this is a good thing to show people exactly how fragile human life is.

I dunno, I guess it's kinda like those horrific driver's ed videos I had to watch.

Anyway, sorry to wax philosophically in a horror movie thread. ;)
I just wanted to preface my mention of Traces of Death so you know that I'm not some kind of weirdo who gets off on such things. :rolleyes:

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2004, 09:39 PM
I've never heard of Traces of Death.

I'm going to venture a guess and say it's like the Banned From TV video but more grotesque.

2-1B
02-27-2004, 09:56 PM
More or less . . . actually more.
I can't recall for certain but the guy who produced the videos went by the nickname Brain Damage and he used death metal songs during the videos which actually led to soundtrack CDs.

They had all sorts of video clips, some were just dangerous stunt work and not always fatal. I remember a guy shooting a child molestor in the head on his way to his court hearing, and I also remember a guy walking up to his ex-wife (?) in a park and shooting her in the head. She didn't even see him coming.

See, that's what I was talking about earlier - how the hell can someone do that to another person ? :(

I LOVE horror movies and have rolled my eyes for years at the people who criticize violence in horror. Yeah, it's FAKE. When those guys get ripped apart in Day of the Dead, it's FAKE and I'm allowed to cheer on the death of the "bad guys" for an hour and a half. It's a fun release.

But with this real life stuff, it makes me sick to my stomach. What a shameful species we are. :dead:

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I have seen quite a few of those 'stunts gone wrong' clips that usually end in major pain or death.

Some of those things you mention with the shootings, Banned From TV had stuff like that...but it was usually involving the police in standoffs. Like one has a police officer shooting a guy while holding a kid. Then there was a guy who took a shotgun to his head while in a standoff. Not the prettiest pictures, though.

I don't have the exact same reactions toward it, though. After viewing it, it's like, "Why did I watch that? I feel dirty." Yeah, welcome to the real life horror thread.

Well, let's try and think of some more horror to discuss.

2-1B
02-27-2004, 11:20 PM
28 Days Later. :)

I know we had a thread about it but the Search didn't want to find it for me. :D

Well I put off seeing this movie for so long (no particular reason) and I finally rented it a few nights ago. Overall I am very dissatisfied with it. Last summer at a horror movie convention, there were some people there to promote 28 Days. I loaded up on the freebie posters, stickers, buttons, and band aid dispensers. :D I distinctly recall the slogan "Danny Boyle redefines the zombie genre and it's scary as hell."

Ummmmmmmmmm, no and no. :rolleyes:

It's not scary as hell and it sure as hell does NOT redefine the zombie genre. If anything it takes the best elements of Romero's films and then makes a poor film around it.

Look, I knew going in that there was an "infection" that took place but COME ON - those infected people were far from being cool 'zombies.' I thought the Rage was totally goofy and the sick people were humorous when they weren't supposed to be. Return of the Living Dead had goofy zombies but they were SUPPOSED to be goofy.
That soldier chained in the yard during 28 Days Later ? Silly. Just silly.

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2004, 12:45 AM
We need JJB to get in here so he can share his knowledge about all things Cenobites.

A film I do not think that gets enough recognition is Exorcist 3. That film had some very creepy moments (think hospital) and I feel it would have made a great follow up to the original instead of the poor second entry.

Then there is another little known film called Below. It is a ghost story set on a American submarine during World War 2. One review said it was U-571 meets The Sixth Sense, and that is a good way to describe it. There's a mystery involving murder and there's some good scares involving certain images. It's a nice flick that Dimension gave a small release to.

So, check out those two films if you have not seen them yet. They are good films and I hope fans of a good scare can find some enjoyment in them.

2-1B
02-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Exorcist 3 is a very good movie and I like it very much.

However I have 2 main problems with the film:

***spoilers***

1) Blatty made a mistake in having Pazuzo stay in the body of Father Karras. I think it waters down the ending to the original. Instead of dying at the base of those steps after making a huge sacrifice in taking on the demon, he is instead left to roam around as Patient X ? I don't like that part of it.

2) George C. Scott played a GREAT Kinderman but I dislike how he describes Karras as one of his best friends when he talks with Fr. Dwyer. They barely know each other in the first film and of course Karras "dies" at the end so there was no more contact.

In fairness to Blatty, I thought maybe there was much more interaction between Karras and Kinderman in the book. Maybe it just got excised when Friedkin went through to make his script notes?
Nope, I went back and re-read the book and I don't see it in there.

I have not read Legion so I can't compare it to the film version of Exorcist 3.

Still, it's a very good film and I love having it on DVD. How about Patrick Ewing as that angel ?:D

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2004, 01:17 PM
First, I want to reply to your 28 Days Later thing. I liked the movie and really didn't think of the infected as funny. I can see why you had the view of that though. Different view, I suppose. I wonder what your opinions are on the film The Crazies, Caesar.

As for E3, I agree with your first point. The second point you make I never really thought about. Here's where my lack of Exorcist fandom shows through.

Your mention of Ewing, when I first saw the film about 12 years ago I had no idea who Ewing was, so I didn't make the connection. I was just a scared kid. It's cool that he is in it, though. It makes for good horror trivia. I'll have to look into basketball stars in other horror movies now. I think Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in a Tales From The Darkside episode. He was also in Slam Dunk Ernest....I should have never mentioned that.

2-1B
02-28-2004, 02:52 PM
And Samuel L. Jackson is in Exorcist 3 as well ! He played the blind guy. :)

And don't forget Fabio as well ! :D

I've not yet the Crazies but I want to. I looked for it at the video store a few nights ago but they didn't have it.

We should start a thread about WORST horror movies because there are some real stinkers out there. We could have a whole thread about Clint Howard alone. :crazed:

Ticks, Ice Cream Man, The Dentist II, all bad movies. :D I've not yet seen House of the Dead but I got a free T-Shirt at WizardChicago last year.

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm all for a worst horror movie thread. There's one in particular I would like to mention for it, if you do start up the thread. The movie I'm thinking of I have never seen, but many at the message boards of Fangoria tell of how horrible the film can be. I'd like to see it, but I'll have to make sure someone else pays for it so I can watch it for free and not feel bad about viewing it.

2-1B
02-28-2004, 03:31 PM
I'll get right on that thread. :D

I forgot to add something about Exorcist III. I was critical of the "close friendship" between Kinderman and Karras . . . I was thinking some more about it and I guess the argument could be made that Kinderman led such a lonely life that a casual acquaintence like Fr. Karras really was a good friend in his mind. I dunno, maybe that's one of those "rationalizations" which stillakid often refers to. :crazed:

Hellboy
02-29-2004, 07:43 PM
28 Days Later. :)

I know we had a thread about it but the Search didn't want to find it for me. :D

Sorry to hear you didn't like 28 days later Caesar. I really enjoyed this film but I suppose it isn't for everybody. I found the thread you were looking for and it just so happens I started it so I won't go into detail about why I liked this film since you can read it here if you want.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20075

I also got around to watching The Crazies this weekend. If you thought the zombies in 28 days were goofy then don't bother with this film because the infected here are pretty non-threatening. It had been a while since I last saw this film so I really only remembered the basic premise. I like the story and all but the film doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. The military does some downright ridiculous things trying to contain the outbreak and are really more of a threat than the infected themselves. I forgot how awful some of the acting was, especially the by the military and one scientist in particular. They also called the viris "Trixie" which I thought was rather laughable. I suppose if you're a Romero fan you might find things to like in this film but most will probably find it rather cheesey. The main character David does get my vote though for most distracting uni-brow in a movie. One interesting note in the extras part of the DVD they talk about the premise of Romero's Dead Reckoning script and the directors desire to have his fourth outing in the Dead series become a film.

2-1B
03-01-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks Hellboy, I enjoyed reading your posts in that thread. :)

I guess I don't totally hate 28 Days. As a "zombie" film I think it's poor and I don't like it as a horror film either but it's not all bad. I remember not liking the editing at times. It felt too quick and choppy at a few scenes . . . almost as if I was watching Rob Zombie's insert shots for HO1KC. :crazed: (which I loved, by the way :) )

B'Omarr Monkey
03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
I like a broad range of stuff going back to "Nosferatu" and all the Universal classics up through "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and David Cronenberg. This is probably the genre with the broadest possible range of enjoyment in terms of what's "good." I love "Bucket of Blood" and "The Giant Gila Monster"but are they good?

Anyway, I saw a lot of talk about "Creepshow." This was my favorite movie of the 80s. Unfortunately, I watched it about a year ago and realized that it dates really badly. It seems almost made for tv, and the score, which I loved back in 1982, is really grating.

"Monkeyshines" and "The Howling" were two others I really loved when I first saw them, but found lacking on recent viewings."The Exorcist" i find a little campy now, too. Especially Ellen Burstyn's acting.

I am going to agree on "Hellraiser," and to a lesser degree "Hellraiser 2," "Se7en," "Night of the Living Dead," and "Dawn of the Dead" (both the original versions) but pass on "Day of the Dead." It's worth seeing, but there are too many key performances in that movie that are just plain bad. "I really liked the 1st "Evil Dead" could give or take the remake, and will probably be lynched here for saying I did not enjoy "Army of Darkness." I also didn't like any of the Friday the 13th movies (the ones I saw), and didn't care too much for the 1st 3 Nightmare on Elm St. movies (all that I saw), though I do have a scar on my right hand which I received from Freddy Krueger himself. No lie. The glove is actually very sharp. I thought about putting my scar on ebay, but didn't think to get a certificate of authenticity at the time.

Some movies that have not been mentioned:

Nobody has mentioned the remake of "The Blob" which is really enjoyable, fast paced and written by Frank Darabont.

I recommend "Deep Rising" which is a crappy monster movie that knows it's a crappy monster movie and becomes something really enjoyable to watch.

"Dark City" is a really good movie, though my mind wandered during the climactic showdown.

"The Devil's Backbone" is a really good and creepy movie by Guillermo Del Toro, and has probably the coolest looking ghost in movies.

"The Brood" and "Dead Ringers" are probably David Cronenberg's two most disturbing movies."The Brood" has the added advantage of being Cronenberg's catharsis for going through a really ugly divorce.

If you want a good haunted house movie, check out "The Changeling." Avoid "The Shining." You're making a movie about a man who gradually goes crazy as he's taken over by a house, right? So, how is Jack Nicholson a good casting decision? He looks crazy from frame one. Great score though. "Burnt Offerings" is a better movie with almost the same plot. Plus, it has Karen Black in it who is scary looking in herself.

"Black Sunday" is fantastic. So is the original "Cat People" but avoid the remake at all costs. "The Leopard Man" has one of the best opening sequences of any horror movie, classic, or modern.

I'm sure I'll think of more. This is like when I go to the video store. When I'm at home, I can rattle off a long list of movies I want to see. When I enter the store, I can't remember one of them.

2-1B
03-06-2004, 01:25 AM
That would be Bubba Ho-Tep. I caught a screening when it was in Seattle for a week. It was alright. It had it's moments.

Nope, I'm looking at Angus Scrimm's letter right now and it's actually called "Mindwarp." :)

I never saw it but I'll have to give it a rental.

Hellboy
03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Well over the weekend I decided to re-visit Day of the Dead since I was still in a zombie mood after seeing the new Dawn of the Dead film.

I actually hadn't seen this film in quite some time because initially I remember not enjoying it. This was mainly due to the amount of bickering that dominates a good portion of the movie. So in a leap of faith, mainly inspired by a few forum members who praised this film, I purchased the 2-disc Divimax DVD. I must say I'm glad I did because this really is a good movie. Its not without its flaws however and the arguements still seemed a bit over the top but overall I really like this film. One of the best things are the incredible effects that Savini and crew brought to the table this time around. Zombies have never looked better IMO and the work done in this film is way ahead of its time. The story is unfortunately only average and suffers a bit due to the fact that most of the action takes place underground, but I still found myself getting into it. The characters aren't as interesting or as likeable as the ones seen in NOTLD and DOTD but the addition of Bub was great. I'd probably have to say its the weakest out of Romero's trilogy but only because it leaves you wanting to see more of whats going on in the world above. It really would've benefited from more scenes similar to the opening. Overall I'm glad I gave the film a second chance and consider it a worthy addition to my library of horror. :classic:

As far as this DVD goes the transfer is excellent. I haven't had a chance to view the extras yet but look forward to doing so later this week.

2-1B
03-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Cool Hellboy, I'm glad you are pleased with your Day purchase ! :)

I know what you mean about the lack of external scenes but for me that's what makes the movie so much more full of despair . . . there's just not much to see above ground - almost everybody is dead. :D

How cool is the gator that comes romping out of that building ? :crazed:

I think you'll enjoy the extras - they have some nice vintage behind the scenes footage and some newly filmed perspectives from cast and crew. I enjoyed it. :)

Hellboy
03-24-2004, 03:32 PM
I had a chance to watch the majority of the extras on the DVD last night and you're right Caesar they were great. Hopefully DOTD will get similar treatment this fall. :)

One question though. When listening to the audio interview with Richard Liberty (Dr. Logan), he stated the only disappointing thing to him was George's decision to imply the whole movie a dream at the end. :confused: Now maybe I'm missing something but that wasn't the impression I got in the last few minutes at all. It seemed to me they escaped on the copter and made it to the island safely. Sarah's dream was something that happened after the fact as if she was replaying the events in her head but in true nightmare fasion. The thing was they showed her dream out of sequence to fool the viewer into thinking they didn't make it. So I'm assuming Mr. Liberty was a little confused by the ending.

BTW the gator scene was cool and if you look very closely you can see that it's mouth had been taped shut. :speech:

B'Omarr Monkey
03-24-2004, 07:04 PM
BTW the gator scene was cool and if you look very closely you can see that it's mouth had been taped shut. :speech:

I caught that too. Still, it was a nice touch having the gator there.

2-1B
03-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Errrrr, of course it has its mouth taped shut . . . those Zombies don't want to get eaten ! They are smarter than we realize. ;)

Hey, about that bonus disc, did you watch the infomercial for the warehouse facility? I did, I watched it all the way through. It has NOTHING to do with the movie but I love that film location so much that it was cool to see it 2 decades later. :D

Hellboy, I think you are absolutely correct about the ending to Day. The beginning starts off with a nightmare while Sarah is in the whirlybird and later on when we see the calendar it is still October. So of course everything happened up through the shot of John untying the bird and of course that's where her nightmare diverges from reality.
I'm not sure what Liberty was thinking there . . . I mean, she marks the calendar as November 4th at the end so a few days have clearly passed.

Speaking of Liberty, I just finished watching Day again (man I love this movie) and I'm wondering if there is a solid answer as to why Logan does not reanimate?

I can think of a few things:

1) maybe he got shot in the head when Rhodes opened fire but I'm pretty sure they were all torso shots.

2) since he fell into the freezer, maybe he was too frozen to reanimate?

I considered the idea that the regular dead were no longer reanimating like they do at the beginning of the trilogy but you know, that one guy with the :beard: who gets shot (when the leash breaks at the corral) well his head ends up on Logan's table so I don't know . . .

Hellboy
03-25-2004, 05:28 PM
You know Caesar I'm really not sure why Logan didn't reanimate, its a great question. Like you said he didn't appear to be shot in the head and we do see him again after getting blown away by Rhodes when Bub strolls into the room. So plenty of time had passed for the transformation to take place if it was going to. Could be a mistake on Romero's part but it sure would be cool if there was some sort of explanation that justified it.

BTW I did watch the infomercial. :cool: How sweet would it be to take a tour of that place? Its huge so I'd imagine finding familiar areas from the film might prove difficult but it really is a unique location. Great extra for the die hard fans. :D

You know its funny because the longer this movie brews in my mind the more I like it. There really isn't any other horror movie quite like it. Going through the supplemental materials the past few days just made me want to watch it again. I must add that I love the music that runs during the menu screens too. :cool:

UKWildcat
09-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Wow. Some really good discussions there b/w Caesar, JBF and Hellboy. I enjoyed reading those. :thumbsup:

And to bring this thread up to date:

The Descent - outstanding, absolutely loved it.
The Exorcism of Emily Rose - very solid film, one of the best possession/satan films out there.
Wolf Creek - little slow during the beginning but really picks up half way through and doesn't let up. (worthy mention)
Shaun of the Dead (comedy/horror) - awesome, definitely needs to be mentioned.
Saw(s) - first one rocked, even if the acting was sub-par. Second one was good, not as good as the first imo. Really enjoyed the third one.
High Tension - good film, even if the ending is wack (depending on who you ask). Toss out the ending, or re-do it, and you have a very solid flick.

and some older movies that were left out of the mix (I believe):

Cemetary Man - fantastic!
The Fog (original of course) - surprised no one mentioned this classic
The Lost Boys -great "modern" vampire flick.
Fright Night - same as above.
Return of the Living Dead - love it or hate it, I love it!

jonthejedi
09-13-2007, 03:56 AM
The Sentinel(no, not the Michael Douglas/Kiefer Sutherland one) from the 1970's. Not even sure it's on DVD. Scared the beejeezus out of me. Woman is living in an old tenement(NYC)...turns out the old blind priest always sitting at the window on the top floor is guarding one of the rooms which is the gateway to Hell.

Hellboy
09-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Great thread to resurrect Wildcat. :thumbsup:

Some of my favorite recent horror films:
-The Descent
-28 Weeks later
-High Tension
-The Devil's Rejects
-Wolf Creek

Looking forward to Romero's Diary of the Dead too. The reviews have been rolling in and all of them I've read have been extremely positive. Apparently the Weinstein's are picking up the film and if it does well they'll look to contract Romero to do a sixth Dead film. :D

JON9000
09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Suspiria is coming out from Blue Underground in a few weeks. I might pick that one up. Maybe Inferno as well, before The Third Mother is released in the US.

2-1B
09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, good call on the dig up, friends. :thumbsup:

Re-reading all of this has me in the mood for Day again, as well as checking out some of the newer recommendations that I've not seen yet. :)

UKWildcat
09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Speaking of Romero, does Land of the Dead need to be added to the list? Cae? ;)

What about Hostel?

Suspiria is coming out from Blue Underground in a few weeks. I might pick that one up. Maybe Inferno as well, before The Third Mother is released in the US.

I'm gonna pass on the new Suspiria release as it is almost identical to the Limited Edition Anchor Bay release (3 disc). But either way, Suspiria is an amazing movie. I enjoyed Inferno. Can't wait to see The Third Mother. :thumbsup:

Hellboy
09-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Speaking of Romero, does Land of the Dead need to be added to the list?

IMO, no. While I enjoyed Land it could have been much much better. Didn't care for the zombies in that one or Dennis Hopper's acting.

What about Hostel?

Definitely not. Eli Roth is the Michael Bay of horror IMO. Hostel did nothing for me and I still consider Cabin Fever to be one of the most annoying horror films of all time. :p

I'm looking forward to Mother of Tears or The Third Mother, whatever they end up calling it here in the states. Suspiria is one of the all time greats. Inferno is decent but a flawed film.

2-1B
09-14-2007, 06:58 PM
I love Land, I thought it lived up to Day, Dawn, and Night so I put all 4 in a category together. :thumbsup:

Big NO to Hostel as well as Cabin Fever or anything else Eli Roth has done...I just don't like either of those films.

General_Grievous
09-14-2007, 08:20 PM
The problem with Roth's movies (as well as the Saw movies to a lesser extent) is that while they really up the ante on gore, they're not really scary.

UKWildcat
09-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I'll agree about Hostel, I was just throwing it out there. That movie did have some pretty good and disgusting special effects though.

Feast was a fun movie, and stars Krista Allen who is just amazing. Slither was another really fun movie. Of course neither of these are really going to be considered amongst the "Best", but are fun gory films nonetheless and are closer to being best than worst.

Surely there are more titles that need mentioning, that have come out in the past 3 years, or is that it?

I actually hear Wrong Turn 2 is surprisingly decent, haven't seen it yet though.

General_Grievous
09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
You know, even though it's campy, Planet Terror (from Grindhouse) is a great horror movie.

El Chuxter
09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Adventures in Babysitting (except for the garage scene)