View Full Version : Drive Carefully...please

187-Maul
09-28-2002, 08:49 AM
if anybody remembers, I posted some pics of my cats some weeks ago, I had two
now I only have one left
this morning, my mom came into my room and told me something bad had happened
last night, some jerk was driving too fast and ran over my cat, ronja
she died because of the wounds
I lay in bed about half an hour crying this morning and tears are already coming to my face again as I'm writing this

so please everybody, drive carefully, especially at night when it's dark

darthvyn
09-28-2002, 11:26 AM
man, i'm sorry about your cat. i don't know what i'd do if my dog were killed by a car...

TylerD
09-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Sorry for your loss Maul. When I was six, my puppy Buster (a Beagle - only a few months old) was ran over by a woman in a red truck. She brought him up to the house in a black trashbag... :(

derek
09-28-2002, 01:03 PM
i've lost animals this way also, so i'm sorry for your loss, but the lesson i learned regarding this is that animals need to be contained indoors or on a leash. i know cats who live outside climb fences and can get into the street.

i've seen animals regulary run into the road and have even accidentally hit a few myself. the speed one is traveling rarely is the cause of the animals death. even if one is moving at 20 or 30 MPH, that animal is still no match for a 2000 pound vehicle.

again, i'm sorry for your loss, as i know what good friends pets can be, but the lesson here is to keep animals out of the street.:cry:

scruffziller
09-28-2002, 01:25 PM
I ran over my dog last year,:cry: , who was 13 years old, because he was trying to be a young dog and could not move out of the way fast enough and was chasing my back tires.

JediTricks
09-28-2002, 04:20 PM
I am very sorry your animal friend died, that is tragic.

Originally posted by derek
i've lost animals this way also, so i'm sorry for your loss, but the lesson i learned regarding this is that animals need to be contained indoors or on a leash. i know cats who live outside climb fences and can get into the street.

i've seen animals regulary run into the road and have even accidentally hit a few myself. the speed one is traveling rarely is the cause of the animals death. even if one is moving at 20 or 30 MPH, that animal is still no match for a 2000 pound vehicle.

again, i'm sorry for your loss, as i know what good friends pets can be, but the lesson here is to keep animals out of the street.:cry: Absolutely true, I live in an area that is urban and at the same time very close to the woods and we see opossum and skunks run over by people who are going at safe speeds in school zones simply because the animals don't know how to respond to a car - cars aren't natural, animals respond to things by nature and their instincts really aren't made for our modern world. It's not usually irresponsible driving at fault, it's simply man's technology in general. I've lost too many friends and pets to that, so all my pets have been indoor pets.

r2dee2
09-28-2002, 04:34 PM
187-Maul, I am SO SORRY about you loss. It hurts so much when we lose a pet because they are like family to us. Your other cat will probably also miss ronja and will need some extra loving. :kiss:

Our cat is a house cat because we have bears and foxes on the prowl :eek:

QLD
09-28-2002, 04:36 PM
I have to agree with Derek and JT. I keep my dog indoors unless he is on a chain supervised, or on a leash.

I am very sad to hear of the loss of your pet. It's never easy to deal with. :(

187-Maul
09-28-2002, 04:50 PM
thanx all for the kind words
the good thing about zorro (the other cat) is, that he never leaves the garden
I don't know why, I guess he's just too afraid
I really am giving him more attention r2

I'm really feeling a bit better now, thanx

Battle Droid
09-28-2002, 06:13 PM
Sorry about your cat. :(

I've got a Kitten who stays out side, but he stays on the porch most of the time.

2-1B
09-28-2002, 06:25 PM
Sorry Maul, that's terrible. :cry:
I lost a pet prematurely back in April and I still mourn. I hope you continue to feel better.

JT, you're right - animals like that do freeze up, I almost hit an opossum last night. They get confused and don't know how to respond, so they lock up. Or even worse they run INTO your path instead of away from.

Tycho
09-28-2002, 06:51 PM
I too express my condolences.

I have 2 cats. They are sisters. They are totally indoors and they have each other and myself to play with.

Cats inclined to stay at home or on the porch will not always do so. Curiousity kills the cat is quite true, as well as old for sayings.

My first cat was hit by a car when she belonged to our neighbors. She lived and had to have surgery and castings for her rear legs for a little while, but eventually made a complete recovery because as a child I constantly cared for her until she got better.

Eventually she died of old age (at 19 years). One of my current cats is named for her.

Recently, I saw a cat get hit by a car. I gathered it up - and it was in bad shape, but still alive. And I had a friend rush us to the emergency animal hospital. Unfortunately, the cat, an all grey and fluffy one, died in my arms as I tried to keep it comfortable. That happened less than a year ago. I can't get the image out of my head, so I help ease the memory by taking extra special care of my cats and never let them go outside.

To counter them not being able to chase the birds and wild lizards they watch in the window, we play "string" every day, and Iconstantly buy them new toys, especially stuff that hangs from doorframes and "flies" and makes sounds, so they can "catch it." They also chase a pen-light laser. I think my little friends are completely happy being indoors, and I am taking great care of them. A sifting litterbox (not automatic or electrically powered) just the standard tray with a sifter, takes care of that in 5 minutes during which I listen to probably 1-2 songs at most on the radio. The house doesn't smell, the cats have a clean "bathroom," and there's no reason for them to go outdoors.

I think they love me very much, and I love them.

Once again I am sorry for your loss. Pets are very special!

Battle Droid
09-28-2002, 07:06 PM
I'd keep my kitten in doors, but my in doors female cat doesn't like the kitten.

Tycho
09-28-2002, 07:09 PM
Keeping them both in doors will eventually force them to get along.

You should supervise them as much as you can, offer separate food and water dishes, and especially separate litter boxes.

Mine are sisters, the same age, and they have that. It costs $20 or less.

But it might save a life. I'm sure you love your cat and your new kitten.

Battle Droid
09-28-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm afraid she'd kill it, and if they'd get along, I don't want any more kitty's around either.

Nexu
09-28-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
JT, you're right - animals like that do freeze up, I almost hit an opossum last night. They get confused and don't know how to respond, so they lock up. Or even worse they run INTO your path instead of away from.

My uncle was talking about how he saw a racoon run backwards to get away from him, when he was in a truck. Can you imagine that? A racoon running backwards? :D

I know how hard it is though, my cat was run over a few years ago, and I heard the car hit him. I was always checking on him when he crossed the road, and whenever a car hit something in the road, I checked to see if it was him. Well, one time it was. :( :cry: :(

InsaneJediGirl
09-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Sorry for your loss Maul :( :cry::(

I have an outdoor cat,but am I lucky not to live in a urban area and the cat never leaves our fence permiter,mainly because its likes its food dish too much and is busy climbing trees.

Darth Sidious
09-28-2002, 08:59 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about that...I know what it is like to lose a cat. My cat (Who I had 15 years, most of my life) was in a fight about a year ago with my other cat. My other cat was only 4, so he was a better fighter. My old cat got a bunch of infected scratches which, for some reason, wouldn't heal. So we brought him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a feline immunodeficiency virus...Like AIDS for cats. So I had him put to sleep because he was literally rotting alive, and he didn't have to deal with that. I don't have any siblings, and I have had this cat as long as I could remember, so he was almost like a brother to me...I know how hard it is, and you have my sympathy.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Maul, I feel deep sympathy about your loss.

I spent the first 7+ years of my life on a farm. We had animals of all sort, and a few of them died violent deaths by means of an automobile, including a dog and a duck that we cherished as young kids.

I have had tragic experiences with cats too. The first involved a kitten, my two older brothers and horseplay. I'll just leave it and that for the memories are a little too painful for me, even to this day, despite this incident happening over 15 years ago.

I had another die my sophmore year in college of a tumor, in the hands of my sister, myself and my twin brother. Out of a family of eight, we three had the closet connection with our cats and it was poignant that we were all present and living together when she passed.

We still have two left that are up there in age. The only sad part is knowing the inevitable. That your life span will outlast theirs. This is true for most animals, and is the most painful part of my experience with cats. Sebastien or Sibby is approaching 15 years old. In cat years that is pretty old. I think he is still frisky for his age, but in due time he will slow down a bit. I've had problems with his health including a very expensive hematoma operation on his ear. I will enjoy these last few years that Sibby has given me, we got him when I was just 7 or 8 years old and he has been present throughout most of my adult life. It will be tough to see him go, but right now I am enjoying his company and I will always cherish the happiness he has brought my life just as you have done with Ronja.

Jedi Drew
09-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Sorry, about your loss Maul. :cry: :cry: Be cool!!!!!!

Chiesa
09-29-2002, 02:11 PM
My heartfelt condolences to you 187-Maul... Its never easy to lose something that you love utmost... whats more is that it is a sudden and unfortunate accident... I just hope that you are feeling better now!! May the force be with you!!

Cheers...

hango fett
09-29-2002, 03:31 PM
wow...i feel for you, 187.
h

JediTricks
09-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Or even worse they run INTO your path instead of away from. I had never heard of that until yesterday, my mother and I were discussing this general topic and she told me about that one - real nasty piece of instinct there.

Here's 2 more reasons for keeping your cats indoors:

- when I was a kid in the San Fernando Valley and in Santa Monica (these areas are about 20 miles apart, VERY different from each other), there were always dead cats on lawns because people would let their pets out and demented screw-heads would get fed up with the cats and put out dishes of food that were poisoned. This became SO commonplace by the late '80s that the Santa Monica police actually tried to do something about it, though they failed miserably.

- my grandmother has had indoor/outdoor cats all my life, and when I was a kid, one of 'em got feline lukemia from smelling the urine of another cat who had it. The cat died and my grandma was very sad, after a few weeks she was given a kitten she loved very much, and she rarely let it out at all. Sadly, it too developed the disease and had to be put to sleep because it was suffering so badly. It turned out that the first cat's use of the catbox had left the disease in that area of the apartment and the next cat got it without leaving the house.

Jargo
10-02-2002, 03:57 PM
I've never had too much luck with cats.....

jjreason
10-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Yep. I feel bad too, 187. Im no cat fan, but the important thing here is the beastie was special to YOU and it's loss causes a gap to be created in YOUR life. You will get over it, just give it some time. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is try to remember funny things it did whenever you start to feel down or sad. That way you'll keep remembering your pet in a happy way.